(Close Window)
Topic: IBalance by Mark Eldson
Looks pretty good:

[url]http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=12183&tagent=elm-062713&utm_source=elm-062713&utm_campaign=062713&utm_medium=email[/url]

Available ONLY from Elmwood Magic!
Paul Richards and Elmwood Magic are proud to bring you Mark Elsdon's iBalance!

You bring out your cell phone, or ask to borrow a spectator's.You balance it precariously between your two hands.Then slowly - impossibly - you remove one hand. Leaving the phone balanced in a truly mind bending condition!

The phone can even be balanced on a single fingertip!

The phone can then be immediately given out for inspection!

iBalance can be used with any smartphone and virtually any current cell phone. It uses no magnets, adhesives, or suction devices. It will work with most phone cases and under all performing environments.

iMpossible. iNnovative. iBalance.

Comes complete with custom machined gimmick and detailed instructional DVD with additional ideas and insights.
I have this, its really cool. but its important you don't have thick finger. it will be hard do it
And doesn't the gimmick break very easily?
I also have this, well had. It broke pretty fast. Especially since its super fun to play with and it looks cool. But there is a full year warranty for a replacement. I think there is only one replacement though. Its a cool effect though :)
Na not for 30 bucks.
I wouildn't balance anyone's expensive phone. Seems dangerous. Especially in the environements magic is presented.
Wish it was more sturdy. Perhaps place a pillow on the ground just in case their I Phone looses to gravity. :wow:
[quote]
On 2013-06-28 15:23, Decomposed wrote:
Wish it was more sturdy. Perhaps place a pillow on the ground just in case their I Phone looses to gravity. :wow:
[/quote]
I love it and will be bringing out, I INFLATABLE PILLOW that should cross all the box's ,lol.
Is this not the same effect that Mark has been doing with a deck of cards just using a phone? I LOVE the deck balance and use it all the time. It's so practical
[quote]
On 2013-06-28 11:09, John C wrote:
I wouildn't balance anyone's expensive phone. Seems dangerous. Especially in the environements magic is presented.
[/quote]

I feel the same way.
I have it and enjoy playing with it. I do have some chubby fingers and that makes it tough at time.
How easy is it to ditch the gimmick?

I know it says that the phone is immediately examinable, but I think people will want to inspect your hands / fingertips as well since the first thought will be that you have something on your finger that allows you to do this.

I have fat fingers, so probably not for me based on the comments above.
Skinny fingers here but still scared.
Bart185,

After I gave there phone back to them they would look at the phone. Never got caught with gimmick.
[quote]
On 2013-06-28 15:36, Fire Starter wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-28 15:23, Decomposed wrote:
[/quote]
I love it and will be bringing out, I INFLATABLE PILLOW that should cross all the box's ,lol.
[/quote]

can any one say public liability insurance ....gotta love equity! :)
I was not sure what to expect...let me tell you, I was surprised!

Very cool and the method surprised me.

I too was leery, I practiced with my old phone until I was comfortable.

It did not take too long to get the hang of it (excuse the pun).

The gimmick is easy to ditch and everybody was wanting to look at the phone anyway.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3684
To ditch I would think it would be a simple matter while they are checking out their phone to immediately reach in your pocket and take your own phone out and make some comment about that.
Got lots of ideas on using this but the breakage problem makes me nervous.
Bart, are you seriously concerned about spectators wanting to examine your hands and/or fingers? Really?

Heck, we all know that there are spectators who would like to examine just about everything! They'd strip search you if allowed. Why would you even e concerned about such a thing?

Or is it more of complaining about promo claims of the phone being "immediately examinable"?

I think that I think that one of the last things I would ever worry about is spectators who would like to examine my fingers.

Jim
Is there a chance the phone could fall?

Thanks
Sean
Available ONLY from Elmwood Magic! Which is now available from Penguin magic. Lol
I just purchased this and I am looking forward to it. Given the fragile nature of this, I would think that by simply holding your hand under the phone or by having the spectator place their hands under the phone as a "safety net", that solves the fear problem.

I think I have pretty regular fingers, not thin, not fat. I hope it works.

KJ
[quote]
On 2013-06-28 09:20, Casshan wrote:
I also have this, well had. It broke pretty fast. Especially since its super fun to play with and it looks cool. But there is a full year warranty for a replacement. I think there is only one replacement though. Its a cool effect though :)
[/quote]

Does the warranty cover the spectator's iphone or just the gimmick?

ⱭD
I think I will do this one only while performing Street magic. That way I can get away fast in case if I drop a stranger's phone.
Warranty on just the gimmick...I tested the gimmick and it takes a lot to break it.

If you take the time to practice before you perform it. You will not worry about dropping the borrowed phone.
Branham has a bag phone. So if he can balance that, the gimmick must be strong.
Mine broke day two - true story!
Got mine from Paul Richards at blackpool convention, Use it lot's of times and gimmick still going strong.Great impromtu trick.

Graham.
You may be the only one old enough to know what a bag phone was.
[quote]
On 2013-11-04 15:53, TheTableTopTrixta wrote:
Mine broke day two - true story!
[/quote]

When did purchase yours?
Do you think it was from a latest batch?
Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic goes "Backstage" with Dan Harlan, showing IBalance:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3684
Really clever gimmick. I smiled when I saw it. Simple but clever. Not sure how durable it will be but it appears to be pretty durable. For the price, I think they should have included two gimmicks.
I want refills for this!!!!. its too expensive order dvd+gimmick everytime
Agreed
If the gimmick could be made clear and transparent it would be much, much better. I still like it though.

Michael
Got this at the Kutztown Convention this past weekend. I really like it. The gimmick should last with some care. Elmwood is offering a one year replacement if it breaks, so that's nice. I love the effect, a lot of fun to do and very easy to accomplish. Since a few has breakage problems- a supplemental instructional page was included to explain a few things you shouldn't do with the gimmick so it doesn't break. I think if you follow the advice on the page- you should be fine for a long time. Though, I do think for the price that two gimmicks should have been included.

RNK
Magicinsight, I believe you are thinking about this too much. All the focus will be on the phone, not your hands.
I just came back from my kids' Family Dy social event at their school. Due to the music I could only do two effects: Haunted Doll and Ibalance. They both went over very well. I first did Ibalance with my phone. The someone asked if I could do it with his phone. I casually glanced at this phone and used it. He and everyone watching were amazed. I got enough confidence to start using other people's phones. It got great reactions. No one noticed the gimmick at all. It was ve easy to use the gimmick and to remove it.

Michael
[quote]
On 2013-11-11 13:56, magicinsight wrote:
I just came back from my kids' Family Dy social event at their school. Due to the music I could only do two effects: Haunted Doll and Ibalance. They both went over very well. I first did Ibalance with my phone. The someone asked if I could do it with his phone. I casually glanced at this phone and used it. He and everyone watching were amazed. I got enough confidence to start using other people's phones. It got great reactions. No one noticed the gimmick at all. It was ve easy to use the gimmick and to remove it.

Michael
[/quote]

That's actually a pretty great way to start things off...with your own phone...knowing somebody will probably ask you to do it with theirs...which is totally possible with this gimmick.
Hey gang! Here are some presentation ideas I thought up for iBalance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEfdHLNGpro&feature=c4-overview&list=UUeH6_8u0WJb5Hioaixedsgg

Enjoy!

-Ricky
Brilliant. Loving these videos! Keep em coming.
Good Stuff Rick!
Great video Rick! I ordered iBalance last week and it just arrived today. As suggested I watched the entire video before using the gimmick. Fortunately I have a couple of extra smartphones that I do not use as my primary (development phones). So I tried it with my Galaxy S2. I had a little trouble attaching the gimmick but as I continued to play around with it it became easier and easier. I began balancing my phone almost immediately. The removal of the gimmick was easier.

I was a little disappointed that the DVD did not cover ways of ditching gimmick. It makes it very difficult to continue with other effects after performing iBalance. I would love to hear what other owners of this effect plan to do after performing the effect.

I like the idea of refills. It's such a tiny gimmick and is susceptible to breakage (apart from normal handling) that I would love to buy more than one. I wonder how difficult it would be to create one at home.

For the same reason I don't perform with other people's rings, I wouldn't perform this with other people's phone.

Overall, I like the effect. Although it makes for a perfect opener, it may be difficult to perform most other effects afterwards.
[quote]
On 2013-11-26 22:24, eddierush wrote:
Great video Rick! I ordered iBalance last week and it just arrived today. As suggested I watched the entire video before using the gimmick. Fortunately I have a couple of extra smartphones that I do not use as my primary (development phones). So I tried it with my Galaxy S2. I had a little trouble attaching the gimmick but as I continued to play around with it it became easier and easier. I began balancing my phone almost immediately. The removal of the gimmick was easier.

I was a little disappointed that the DVD did not cover ways of ditching gimmick. It makes it very difficult to continue with other effects after performing iBalance. I would love to hear what other owners of this effect plan to do after performing the effect.

I like the idea of refills. It's such a tiny gimmick and is susceptible to breakage (apart from normal handling) that I would love to buy more than one. I wonder how difficult it would be to create one at home.

For the same reason I don't perform with other people's rings, I wouldn't perform this with other people's phone.

Overall, I like the effect. Although it makes for a perfect opener, it may be difficult to perform most other effects afterwards.
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed the vid! As for the DVD: I confess to not watching it. And as for ditching....I recommend not doing it right away. It's so small...I'd just keep it around and talk at the audience and go into your next trick, then lose it during an offbeat. Hope that helps!
How are people storing the gimmick? It's so small I'm afraid I might lose it!
This was one of my presents today and love it!

Oh and Merry Christmas
[quote]
On 2013-12-25 05:25, reignofsound wrote:
This was one of my presents today and love it!

Oh and Merry Christmas
[/quote]

For iPhone 5 I think it is better to use the right hand
I just got this and figured I would probably have to use it with my old iPhone and not my new HUGE Note 3. BUT! I tried it with my Note 3 and no problems at all, even with the case on. I think that's even more impressive given the size of the Note 3 hanging out over my finger. I've got pretty good sized fingers, (I wear a size 11.5 wedding ring), and it fits me fine. Seems sturdy also. I would expect it to last pretty well with reasonable care. I too would like some ideas on storage and ditching. I don't see a way to really put it on or take it off without using both hands so not really easy to get into and out of in front of the audience.
Many people I know have Mophie chargers on their phones and this does not work well with phones in heavy charger type cases. In my opinion this is not a worker.
I purchased mine from Penguin. If something does happen to the gimmick within the year, am I still covered under the 1 year protection? If so who would I contact? Penguin or Elmwood? I love the thing so far but just a question.
Mine came with a return form in the package. Just follow the instruction on that.
Is this the same effect that is in the Penguin lecture?
Has anyone come up with a good method to ditch the gimmick after you are done?
[quote]
On 2014-02-09 07:16, surryhills wrote:
Has anyone come up with a good method to ditch the gimmick after you are done?
[/quote]

No, but I just clip it behind my fingers so I can show my hands empty
Suppose if the gimmick breaks and still in the borrowed phone???

Anyway to remove it? What do you tell the spectator??
It would have to break completely for it to be a problem, which is highly unlikely. If one side breaks, the gimmick can still be removed, you'd just need a stronger grip. If in the highly unlikely case that the gimmick breaks completely, it could still be removed rather easily with the right tool. The nature of the gimmick makes a complete breakage almost impossible to achieve, so I don't worry about that really happening.

[quote]
On 2014-02-09 16:29, Salby wrote:
Suppose if the gimmick breaks and still in the borrowed phone???

Anyway to remove it? What do you tell the spectator??
[/quote]
Why is this unavailable everywhere? Will it become available again?