(Close Window)
Topic: When was the last time you wrote or received a letter?
Are they a thing of the past?

A personal letter, not business correspondence, postcard, birthday card, package, email, text. A real personal letter with an envelope and everything, delivered by the postal service.

When did you last receive such?
When did you last send one?
How many in the last five to ten years?
If you used to, and don't now, do you miss it?
Do you think this topic is silly?
Yesterday, to a pal in jail.
Landmark
I'll text you my answer.
A long time. I still send notes of condolence in the mail, but they tend to be much shorter than a regular personal letter.
"When was the last time you wrote or received a letter?"

You sound like my mother.

She writes every few weeks. I reply once or twice a year.
My daughter still loves to write and receive mail. I love to write her and hear back from her. I got a card two days ago. I last wrote a note two days ago also.

This is an interesting topic. I had a young person tell me the other day that getting a text message from a friend is just as meaningful to young people these days as receiving a letter was to us.
Last time I wrote a letter was bac in 2011 complaining about not getting my full refund from the state (1167) but being able to get my full refund from the feds (3614). I thought it was contradictory. Haven't filed taxes since. Only tax I pay is sales and alcohol.

I recieved a letter from an inmate bout 2 weeks ago telling me to hold on to his stuff (I was renting a room to him). I couldn't oblige.
When I was in the States twenty five years ago working as a student I sent letters home to my family each week, all several pages long. I sent one letter that summer to most of my favourite relatives. It surprised me when I came home to find out how much those letters meant to people.

Unfortunately I am a professional writer, so I have not handled a pen in two decades. I don't think I could hand-write a page now. It would certainly be a major effort. However I do send personal e-mails when I am away to a few friends who appreciate them. I do them the old fashioned way - salutation, proper structure of a letter etc, with proper grammer and spelling, and running to several thousand words. So I suppose I am still sending letters, just through a different delivery system.
I write mostly on cards, either for birthdays, holidays or other special events. Or sometimes I'll write a note on my special note stationery and insert it in the card. Whenever I send one of my cards or notes to someone it always has at least a couple of paragraphs. or if just a card, I try to fill the inside and outside of the card with writing. I've always believed personal handwritten notes and letters to more personal,thoughtful and meaningful, both in receiving and giving. But I'll concede that the modern digital world is affecting the personal handwritten letter. And emails are cheaper than postage stamps.

I probably receive less handwritten notes than I send.

This is not a silly post at all because it speaks to how our world is changing. We must adapt, but a personal touch will always be a personal touch. Just my two cents.
[quote]
On 2013-07-17 17:22, foreva.infiniti wrote:
Last time I wrote a letter was bac in 2011 complaining about not getting my full refund from the state (1167) but being able to get my full refund from the feds (3614). I thought it was contradictory. Haven't filed taxes since. Only tax I pay is sales and alcohol.

I recieved a letter from an inmate bout 2 weeks ago telling me to hold on to his stuff (I was renting a room to him). I couldn't oblige.
[/quote]
You don't file tax returns? I'm not a lawyer but you may wish to rethink that strategy. Just tryin' to help here brother.
I send out a couple thousand post cards every year. I have the first five hundred of the season on my desk right now. Does that count?
Al-

How come I didn't get one?

:eek:
[quote]
On 2013-07-17 23:04, Bob1Dog wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
You don't file tax returns? I'm not a lawyer but you may wish to rethink that strategy. Just tryin' to help here brother.
[/quote]

That may be why he posts anonymously. Otherwise he really shouldn't be posting stuff like that on a public forum. You never know who is here.

But, then again, if he's not working and has an income below the poverty line, he's not required to file.
[quote]
On 2013-07-17 23:49, mastermindreader wrote:
Al-

How come I didn't get one?

:eek:
[/quote]
Me either!
[quote]
On 2013-07-17 23:51, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

That may be why he posts anonymously. Otherwise he really shouldn't be posting stuff like that on a public forum. You never know who is here.

But, then again, if he's not working and has an income below the poverty line, he's not required to file.
[/quote]

MMR you're spot on about that. We really don't know who is here. And you give us a good reminder about the poverty line and those folks' tax structure. I respect anyone in that situation. Still, I wouldn't brag about not paying taxes. It's just not a kind thought and doesn't say "thank you" to a society who supports them.

As for his anonymity, I think recent events illustrate he can be found one way or another. :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-17 10:00, tommy wrote:
Yesterday, to a pal in jail.
[/quote]

I as well!
The tax office wrote to ask me for my income for 2011/2012.
I wrote back and told them I've spent it. Job done !
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 00:14, Bob1Dog wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-17 23:51, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

MMR you're spot on about that. We really don't know who is here. And you give us a good reminder about the poverty line and those folks' tax structure. I respect anyone in that situation. Still, I wouldn't brag about not paying taxes. It's just not a kind thought and doesn't say "thank you" to a society who supports them.

As for his anonymity, I think recent events illustrate he can be found one way or another. :)
[/quote]

I'll guarantee you'll never discover my identity. Not even my own family realizes Im Foreva Infinti. Im a voice actor and my voice is always changing. From that of a grumpy old lady to that of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget. Foreva Infiniti never removes his mask not even backstage. And to assume my gender is male is ridiculous. The only way people can tell me from a fake is that I have a club tattoed on my hand opposite the palm which is only visible when I want it to be or by my signature domino magic that no one can perform but me. I use my magic like a password.
Foreva.infiniti, You're posting on a public forum. All one would have to do is to retrieve your IP address from your posts, (a simple thing to do) and from there they have your physical address. After that, it gets very easy to identify you. I'd suggest not tempting the trolls to do this by stating it'd be impossible. No worries from me though, I'm far too lazy to do that 5 minutes of work. :)
If I really wanted to find you, I'd start in the manga shops in Ypsilanti Michigan.

Am I warm?
Ypsilanti is close Im in Ann Arbor but its basically the same city and I read my manga online at onemanga.com and as far as my IP adress goes, don't underestimate my intelligence, Im fully aware of that. I was aware of that when I said no one could find me. I wouldn't make such a definitive statement about being impossible to be found if it wasnt true. Go ahead and pull the IP adress and if you think that's where I am located then good for you. And Im not even talking about using proxy sites or nothing like that. I went to school for computer service tech before dropping out to pursue my magic career. And I was pretty dam good. Top of the class good. Hell I made a website when I was 12, from scratch mind you and its still standing. And if you times my tech skills with my paranoia + living off the grid that would = extremely hard to find. Nothings impossible. If the gov't wanted me like they want Snowden and they knew I was in Ann Arbor, with their nearly unlimited resources Im pretty sure they would find me. But that's a stretch. I don't plan on doing anything to draw that type of attention. And who here would use as much resources as it would take for curiousity's sake? Im not that special. Hell my own agent doesn't even know what I look like or my legal name.
Bob Cassidy, Bob1Dog or anybody else
If you would like to be on my post card mailing list please PM me your snail mail address. It will cost me a little extra but I will send my cards to Canada too.

PS not Devils Island though
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 17:18, foreva.infiniti wrote:
And if you times my tech skills with my paranoia ....
[/quote]

That paranoia might come from smoking too much weed. :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 19:25, Al Angello wrote:
Bob Cassidy, Bob1Dog or anybody else
If you would like to be on my post card mailing list please PM me your snail mail address. It will cost me a little extra but I will send my cards to Canada too.

PS not Devils Island though
[/quote]
Thanks Al! PMd you. :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 21:40, Bob1Dog wrote:
[quote]
And if you times my tech skills with my paranoia ....
[/quote]

That paranoia might come from smoking too much weed. :)
[/quote]

Bob Ima give you some daps cuz you know what you're talking about. Yea weed does make people paranoid. I know more than a few people who wont smoke weed with other people because of paranoia including this 60 year old white guy named Moses who was the nicest man I eva met in my life. I assure you Im not the type to get paranoid off weed if anything I use it for inspiration. I started smoking weed when I was 10. I was paranoid before that.
Not many folks start smoking at ten. Just how long have you been smoking?
[quote]
Ypsilanti is close Im in Ann Arbor but its basically the same city and I read my manga online at onemanga.com and as far as my IP adress goes, don't underestimate my intelligence, Im fully aware of that. I was aware of that when I said no one could find me. I wouldn't make such a definitive statement about being impossible to be found if it wasnt true. Go ahead and pull the IP adress and if you think that's where I am located then good for you. And Im not even talking about using proxy sites or nothing like that. I went to school for computer service tech before dropping out to pursue my magic career. And I was pretty dam good. Top of the class good. Hell I made a website when I was 12, from scratch mind you and its still standing. And if you times my tech skills with my paranoia + living off the grid that would = extremely hard to find. Nothings impossible. If the gov't wanted me like they want Snowden and they knew I was in Ann Arbor, with their nearly unlimited resources Im pretty sure they would find me. But that's a stretch. I don't plan on doing anything to draw that type of attention. And who here would use as much resources as it would take for curiousity's sake? Im not that special. Hell my own agent doesn't even know what I look like or my legal name.
[/quote]

So a complete amateur (me) got the right city and a common interest and activity of yours in about 2 minutes. I don't think you're nearly as untraceable as you claim.
While deployed we would get letters from elementary school kids and some of us wrote them back.
My youngest (20-something) niece still sends letters from time to time. I probably receive a couple of hand written letters from her each year.

The last letter I wrote was probably about a decade ago (maybe a little less) to a famous individual with a reputation as being someone hard to reach (e.g., either does not use or ignores emails). I guess it was probably the personal touch of a handwritten letter that got us together for a meeting a year or so later.
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 11:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

So a complete amateur (me) got the right city and a common interest and activity of yours in about 2 minutes. I don't think you're nearly as untraceable as you claim.
[/quote]
Anyone can find out an interest just by clicking on my profile and 100000 people live in this city so knowing the city means nothing if you don't know my adress or appearance or name. Not too clever are we.
A long long time ago.
In a galaxy not so far away
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 08:50, Al Angello wrote:
Not many folks start smoking at ten. Just how long have you been smoking?
[/quote]
Wish I could answer that but doing so would reveal my age which I cannot disclose.