(Close Window)
Topic: Cups and Balls circa, 1963
Still searching for the best voice for this thing.

http://youtu.be/wksAZSAccvQ
Super job as usual Kent.
Oh man that's great. One minor suggestion from a theatrical standpoint you might want to consider--I think it's stronger if the final reveals are all done after "kissing your mother...still believe in magic, " rather than broken up cup by cup with script, since the reveals are basically the same and don't build. If one reveal were topping another somehow, then you'd want to break it up with a bit of script.

Watching that was so delightful.
What makes your routine so amazing Kent other then the use of tri-colored balls is it's show and deliberate pacing. No one could possibly say 'the hand is quicker then the eye'.
I believe.
Very nice.
So *this* is what 1963 is like! I like the routine, Kent. Thanks for sharing!
I think this is one of the BEST C & B's I have ever seen! One of the few that fools me, even though I know what's going on! Thank you Kent! You gotta a real FAN here! :)

Doug
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Watching Kent Gunn perform is one of the most frustrating experiences for me. In my heart I KNOW what he's doing, but he fools me so badly, that he makes me realize I have no clue as to what he's doing.
Agreed. This is the level of mastery we should all strive for. I have watched Kent for years. My goal is to get my cups and balls work to that level. I don't want to do [i]his routine[/i], I just want my skill to be as proficient.

That is not a regular cups and balls routine, as you know. There are other...eh...[i]elements[/i] involved. I will not reveal them here. I admire those thousand + dollar Sherwood Cups! The most beautiful I have ever seen. That isn't what makes it, though.

There is a beginning, a middle and an end. It flows seamlessly. His voice is clear, his speech impecible. Kent is the perfect performer to model yourself after. Again, NOT copy him, but let him inspire you. How can YOUR Cups & Balls be brought up to that level? What devices can you use to assist you? There are so many options.

There is only ONE Kent F. Gunn. And I thank God he has graced us here with is skills...

Doug
Hi Mr. Gunn,

Every version of this routine that you have posted is excellent. They all seem to have merit, each in its own performance situation. I will second the wandboy's comment that doing this routine "as slowly as you can" (as Sr. Levand says) is very magical.
Excellent routine Kent. Siskel and Ebert give four thumbs up!
Great magic! My only comment is that I wish the patter had a better story. A conflict that is resolved. Seems like you are real close but we need a transformation of some sort in the character. For instance your Napier Lane card story works better. Just my 0.02
Kent has progressed a bit in the ensuing half-century! ;)
The routine is a real fooler and is one of the few--very few--routines not based on the Vernon routine. I have to say, parts of it have me stumped.

The "1963" is just the patter line, correct? Or is that when the routine was developed? It can't be when the video was recorded as the Sherwood cups only came out about 10 years ago.
Ray,

1963 is the year I got into magic. I don't believe The Fun Shop was in existence then. Marvin is quite real and ran the shop when I was going to high school, near Ogden.

The story is an amalgam of separate realities.

The video was recorded this week. The routine is mine and has been in continuous development since I bought those cups in 2005, or so.

Sorry for the deception . . .
I like this patter and presentation. It's a significant improvement over the old version. And of course it's excellent technically.
Kent,

No problem. More confusion than deception.
Kent,

The only problem I have with your cups and balls is that it can really only be performed by a master or master's apprentice. As usual, I love your work.

I have been off in coin land for a while and the progress is slow but progressing.
Every time I feel like I've perfected this routine, you upload a cleaner version and ruin my life all over again.
I loved it Kent.
Gorilla, I'm no master and no master would take me as an apprentice, but thanks anyway.

Zubes, I grow stronger through your suffering.

Bill A., the story stands. I don't know how to add anything and I suspect I'm yakking too much already. Miss that Garage and it's denizens.

To all, I thank you mightily.
Thanks for sharing Kent.
Marvellous job as usual!
The pacing is beautiful! Kent proves (again) that you don't have to be in a hurry for the magic to happen.