(Close Window)
Topic: Aretha Franklin
I get goosebumps when she sings :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKkWj2WpWM

Todays "Super Stars" couldn't be a backup singer for Ms. Franklin. They couldn't be a backup singer for one of Ms. Franklin's back up singers. I can't even identify the voices of today's "stars". Aretha Frankiln...the first word, you know it's her.

I'm not saying that just because I'm "old" and have been a fan of hers since the 1960's. I get when people are like that. But this is a prime example of how the world has accepted mediocrity. OK, so someone like Aretha Franklin comes along with the frequency of Halley's Comet. But that doesn't mean you just accept pap.

It's not just music, but music is a good example of how the world has changed for the worse in it's acceptance and praise of dreck.
In so many ways, Zombie. In all of the arts.
Yes, they say you know your getting old when you find you don't like the music they playing any more. I don't know what they call it but I can't bear that new stuff so I am old.
[quote]
On 2013-07-20 07:57, tommy wrote:
Yes, they say you know your getting old when you find you don't like the music they playing any more. I don't know what they call it but I can't bear that new stuff so I am old.
[/quote]

funny you should say that cause I'm finding myself in one of those music kids listen to conversions. it's so messed up!
[quote]
On 2013-07-20 09:47, frankvomit wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-20 07:57, tommy wrote:
[/quote]

funny you should say that cause I'm finding myself in one of those music kids listen to conversions. it's so messed up!
[/quote]

Yup...I go to a lot of concerts (music photographer)...seen new acts and the classics. Even if they're not great vocalists like Aretha, there's no comparison between the old and the new. Music used to be about something. Now...not so much!
Guess I'm old as well.

I can even remember the days when they used to sew the peak on the FRONT of caps.
Todays "singers" mostly come from things like the x factor, famous in 5 minutes. They havent got the experience that only comes with performing night after night, most of them you cant nderstand what they are singing anyway as their diction is so bad. Some of the old timers must be spinning in their graves, and unfortunately its not just singers but evey walk of the entertainment industry that has been affected by this.
As a musician I listen to all sorts of music from many eras and genres. I am too young to have grown up with the great bands of the 1960s like The Beatles (the reason I am a musician), The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, etc.

I recently watched an interview with Justin Hayward and George's post reminded me of it. Hayward - a true legend in rock - commented that these people who win X-Factor or American Idol - and even the ones who finish second or third - are actually stigmatized. Hayward stated that not only do these people lack experience, but people greet them with "aren't you the bloke that finished third on X-Factor?" Hayward feels that such contests by and large hamper musicians because it is very difficult to escape that stigma.

Show business has really become so prepackaged that I fear that we may never hear genius again like Bach, Beethoven, Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorius, and The Beatles to name but a handful. There are great acts out there like Dream Theater but, for all their hard work - three of them are graduates of Berklee and Julliard, they make a good living but they have never broken into the majors so to speak. These days that seems to reserved for Bieber and Gaga. Pity.
I have often said that [i]Wind of Change[/i] by Scorpions was the last of the truly great songs. I'm hard pressed to think of, or find a song that comes close to it in articulating the emotion of an iconic moment of history. What do we have now?
The problem I have with singers on the various talent shows is not that they are not musical or talented. I think most of them have a lot of talent and skill. However, because of the immense pressure to compete and show off [i]everything[/i] they can do in two minutes, what is severely lacking is taste. In addition, the competition aspect of it means that the singer is shooting to be the "best"--and "best" means the same thing everyone else is, only better. There's no possible room for a unique voice to come through, and basically a synthesizer could win most of these competitions.

I only occasionally listen to current pop music, and I'm generally amazed that it usually sounds pretty much like pop music from 50 years ago. Really pretty unadventurous. Now I know there's great stuff out there, I'm just talking about the more top of the charts kind of music.
Combining Vlad and Landmark's comments, Chris Mann does come to mind. Chris was fourth(?) runner-up on The Voice. He's a Kansas native, only reason I'm familiar with him, and did a show here last month. He is a classically trained singer and spent some time in Italy performing opera there. He certainly did show what he was capable of without going over the top; however, he's not stigmatized, because his style of music is so far removed from what this generation wants (most of the people at the show were twice his age and theater was 2/3 empty).

I guess this feeds back into the discussion about how actual talent and class are lost nowadays.
When it comes to the Queen of Soul, I don't think I need to say more then R-E-S-P-E-C-T!