(Close Window)
Topic: A Little Different Head-In-Box
As we all know, one of ventriloquism's biggest heydays took place here;
So it put the idea in my head, what would be a really appropriate head-in-a-box figure, and I came up with this;
As most will be able to tell, I just used a Charlie vent doll head. I didn't want to go to the time and trouble to carve a head, it was supposed to be a quick novelty project. Plus, for this idea, I wanted the head to look like Charlie since the idea came from ventriloquism's heyday.
Turned out to not be as quick and simple as I would have liked, even with using a head already made, but that's normal.
For starters, I didn't have the monocle so I had to fill in the little creases for that and then repaint the head because of those two little spots. I was very careful around the mouth and eyes so I wouldn't have to repaint those too.
And I replaced the rubber band in the head with a spring.
Of course, I didn't make the "box", it's a vintage style replica I picked up fairly cheap and gutted for this project. On one side it had a cassette player too, so I had to fill in that opening with wood.
I put his hat on him, but it just sits on his head so I can take it off too.
And on the back is the ring to pull the string to work the mouth.
That is fantastic! I love that you even used a traditional looking radio to add to that nostalgic look.

Very clever indeed.
Thank you. Yes, to me, it had to be a vintage looking radio for it to be "right", which actually made it more difficult. I saw many others that would have been much easier to separate the front for the door, but they didn't have the right look.
This is so cool! GREAT WORK!!! :bigsmile:
Thank you!
I really like that. Very creative. And you're handy, too!

Bob
Thank you Bob!
Cool idea, Dave!
Thank you Keith!
Great concept and the craftsmanship is very professional!
Thank you Jim, although I am pleased with the concept, I won't claim any great craftsmanship - if I had carved a head to go in there I would take that claim, but like I said, it was supposed to be a quick simple project.