(Close Window)
Topic: Close Up Pads
Message: Posted by: hypnojeff (Jul 24, 2013 11:48PM)
Anyone recommend a good close up pad for strolling?
Message: Posted by: yin_howe (Jul 25, 2013 01:07AM)
Take a look at Pattrick's mat

http://www.pattricksmagic.com/index.php/world-famous-mats/
Message: Posted by: pepka (Jul 25, 2013 02:18AM)
Yep.
Message: Posted by: mrunge (Jul 25, 2013 07:49AM)
You can also go to your local office supply store and get an oversized mouse pad. Basically the same thing and MUCH cheaper. They also come in various colors.

Mark.
Message: Posted by: pepka (Jul 26, 2013 12:24AM)
Don't want to start an argument, but anyone who has used one of Patrick's pads knows it's NOT the same thing as a mouse pad.
Message: Posted by: SmittyWitty (Jul 26, 2013 05:08PM)
Agree with pepka. I have one of Patrick's pads - very nice. But it's all about personal choice and recommendations, not arguing whose is better.
Message: Posted by: hypnojeff (Jul 26, 2013 10:47PM)
Thanks guys!
Message: Posted by: Lou Is (Jul 12, 2015 02:46PM)
Late to the party. Patrick's mats are excellent.
New url...
http://www.pattricksmagic.com/pattrick-s-magical-mats/
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 12, 2015 07:43PM)
I am curious, how does one use a close-up pad while walking around, also know as Strolling. There are no tables, not chairs.
Message: Posted by: pepka (Jul 13, 2015 12:11AM)
I think most real world working pros don't use a pad for a strolling gig. I usually have a small one in my bag that I use if I go behind the bar, or will have an opportunity to sit down and do a bit more formal set after dinner. This is the exception, not the rule. The most I set down on a table at a strolling gig is a card box or coin purse.
Message: Posted by: David French (Jul 13, 2015 12:59PM)
When I work a strolling gig. I use an instand table. Small and light weight, I use a close up pad on top. This allows me to always have a surface and it provides a bit of attention grabbing potential.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 13, 2015 04:25PM)
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Moro (Jul 13, 2015 08:41PM)
David, may I ask how you use a table during strolling? Do you actually carry the Instand around from group to group (assuming of course you use "strolling" to describe going from group to group of people who are usually standing together and not table-hopping)?
Message: Posted by: Taterini (Jul 13, 2015 08:50PM)
[quote]On Jul 13, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about. [/quote]

I think you you might be confusing "Street Magic" with "Table Hopping and Party Strolling Magic"
David Blaine's style/type of magic is usually referred to as Street Magic and not Strolling Magic.

There are complete sections here dedicated to each of these styles, right above this section on the forum.
Table Hoppers and Party Stroller:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=5&107586
Street Magic:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=92&27015
Message: Posted by: David French (Jul 14, 2015 09:57AM)
Chris -

Yes, I carry the table around from group to group. Not everyone will agree with this approach, but it works for me. People know something special/out of the ordinary is going to happen. It formalizes the magic for me. I merely walk up to a group, table in hand and put it down, do my introductions and start.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Moro (Jul 14, 2015 07:28PM)
David,
Hey, if that works well for you, that's great and quite interesting. Does it make it easier for you to breach the group?
Message: Posted by: David French (Jul 15, 2015 08:26AM)
Chris -

There are many guys I know that do this as well, Dean Dill used to stroll with a table on wheels. The instand does not have wheels and is quite light weight. Please note, I only use this if there are no exiting tables. Cocktail hour type engagements usually. Often times there are a few tables and I will use those. To answer your question, it seems to help approach the group. I am not perceived as just another guest. I have this table, I must be doing something...who carries a table around?:) It instantly attracts attention. I introduce myself and begin. The key here is that it makes MY life easier. I have a surface and formalizes the show. I am not limited to in the hands type tricks. Side note, I bring this table to every gig. I have also used it to do a stand up set. In those cases I will attach the shelf that acts as a servante for my chop cup loads. Let me know if this helps or you have any other questions.
Message: Posted by: wwhokie1 (Jul 15, 2015 09:33AM)
[quote]On Jul 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
[quote]On Jul 13, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about. [/quote]

I think you you might be confusing "Street Magic" with "Table Hopping and Party Strolling Magic"
David Blaine's style/type of magic is usually referred to as Street Magic and not Strolling Magic.

There are complete sections here dedicated to each of these styles, right above this section on the forum.
Table Hoppers and Party Stroller:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=5&107586
Street Magic:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=92&27015 [/quote]




I don't think of David Blaine as doing "Street Magic". What he does is very different from the street magicians I have met. Street Magicians build an audience and perform for an audience. There is a lot of audience work and skills involved in "Street Magic" that I have never seen Blaine do. I would describe Blaine as more of a strolling magician on the street. I would not consider walking up to someone and trying to get them to watch a magic trick as being a "Street Magician". For example, compare what Blaine does to what Gazzo does; there is a big difference. One makes a living on the streets the other makes a living being filmed performing on the streets.
Message: Posted by: Taterini (Jul 15, 2015 09:57AM)
[quote]On Jul 15, 2015, wwhokie1 wrote:
[quote]On Jul 13, 2015, Taterini wrote:
[quote]On Jul 13, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Okay, I thought that strolling meant constantly moving as in a park or on the street outside, showing magic to whomever you could stop and have them watch. This new word came about because of David Blaine's television specials. Seems the definition has changed over the last few years. The word strolling was never used in conjunction with magic before the 1990's or there about. [/quote]

I think you you might be confusing "Street Magic" with "Table Hopping and Party Strolling Magic"
David Blaine's style/type of magic is usually referred to as Street Magic and not Strolling Magic.

There are complete sections here dedicated to each of these styles, right above this section on the forum.
Table Hoppers and Party Stroller:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=5&107586
Street Magic:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=92&27015 [/quote]


I don't think of David Blaine as doing "Street Magic". What he does is very different from the street magicians I have met. Street Magicians build an audience and perform for an audience. There is a lot of audience work and skills involved in "Street Magic" that I have never seen Blaine do. I would describe Blaine as more of a strolling magician on the street. I would not consider walking up to someone and trying to get them to watch a magic trick as being a "Street Magician". For example, compare what Blaine does to what Gazzo does; there is a big difference. One makes a living on the streets the other makes a living being filmed performing on the streets. [/quote]


I'd call what you're describing "Busking" and not what I'd classify as "Street Magic" or strolling magic in the streets as you referred to it.
That's just my opinion and how I distinguish between the two.
Great analogy there at the end ;)
Message: Posted by: wwhokie1 (Jul 15, 2015 10:16AM)
I would consider "Busking" and "Street Performance" and "Street Magic" as the same.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Moro (Jul 15, 2015 07:13PM)
Very interesting, David. I also have/use the Instand for close up and stand up situations but hadn't thought about carrying it around in strolling before. Thanks for sharing.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 16, 2015 03:49AM)
Well, I guess that is where all the confusing comes from, many think that Busking, strolling, street is the same thing. When in fact they are very different. Mainly has to do with money.

The shows I seen of David Blaine, he just stops people on the street, or goes up to a group standing and talking. That is considered street magic. Notice he does not ask for money for showing a trick, it shows them magic for his personal enjoyment.

Busking is picking a place to perform in a park to some place where a lot of people are walking buy, and are there for some social event, usually put on by the city. The difference is you don't move unless you are not getting money. The whole purpose of Busking is getting money for your performances.

Strolling is exactly that, show a trick at a very large gathering of people in a place. You are paid by the event coordinator, and do not ask for money at all. You keep moving as you have to cover the entire crowd of hundreds of people. Your are not loud and vociferous at all. You are pleasant and only show to small groups at a time.
Message: Posted by: pattrick (Jul 27, 2015 06:39AM)
Thank you for the comments, but that link didn't work for me. I just revamped my site and also added a close out page, and a few items from my short lived lecture tour in Blackpool., especially my marking stylus for marking your own cards. Please try the correct web address of www.pattricksmagic.com and click on the Pattrick's magical mats tab.
Thank you for your support and your interest. Pattrick
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jan 29, 2016 03:16AM)
Those mats look really nice. The design I want will cost a little but I will can't wait to have one
Message: Posted by: bigfoot (Jan 29, 2016 03:41AM)
I read about a close up pad many years ago but don't recall where that was interesting. It was made from a round piece of close up pad that was around four inches across. It was mounted to a circular piece of board. This was then glued to another piece of board that was in essence a "ring". Then a piece of decorative trim was wrapped around to make the edges of the wood look a bit nicer.
The ring on the bottom made a recess that the performer would set on top of a glass. The recess made certain the pad stayed centered when it was in place. It wasn't obviously used for shuffling but more to spotlight what was happening. It created a raised platform that focused audience attention above the table.
So doing a coins across it would be where you would pick the coins up from, then place them after they traveled. It was a very clever idea and could keep you props up off any sticky or wet stuff. Plus it fit in your pocket more easily. I suppose if you use a mini chop cup it would be great for that too.