(Close Window)
Topic: Devin Knight LIVE: Sunday August 4th, @7:00pm Eastern
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3637

From the blurb:

What will he teach?

BLINDSIGHT
A spectator correctly guesses which colors are inside of four envelopes. They set one aside but the magician has predicted it.

AUTOBEND SPOON
Devin explains his self-bending spoon and how to make one at home.

BACKSTAGE MONTE
A sucker effect in which the magician teaches the audience a simple trick and then does it again and fools them. A real magician fooler.

SALT IN LIGHTBULB
The performer shows an ungimmicked lightbulb, vanishes salt and it appears inside the bulb. Bulb can be examined before & after.

CHESS GAMBIT
A person secretly removes a chess piece from a chess set and conceals it. The performer has circled the same piece in a chess book held by an audience member BEFORE the selection is made. The entore effect is hands off. Another magician fooler.

TAROT SIGHT
4 spectators remove tarot cards from a regular tarot deck and just think of their card. Magician reveals the four cards without any questions or fishing. As close to real mindreading as you can get.

DEAL OR NO DEAL
Spectator removes any card from the deck, he can change his mind. A duplicate of his card is inside a box that has been in full view at all times. Magician does not touch the card inside the box. The spectator removes it, and it is the only card in the box. Baffling beyond words.

AROUND THE SQUARE
A new version of this effect. Magician cuts a square out of newspaper and the cut out square visible changes into a cut out circle!

DISSOLVING ACES
The four aces vanish one at a time from the magicians hands in the cleanest manner possible. No sticky stuff or gimmicked cards.

NO TOUCH ACAAN
Devin version of ACAAN where it is hands off. No gimmick decks, duplicate cards.

FARSIGHT
Magician reveals a freely selected card, no force, while his back is turned and without touching the cards. He can be 20 feet away!

DOUBLE CLIPLINE
The performer predicts where a spectator will stop cutting on two different newspaper columns. Very baffling to those who know the old clipline.

RING IN PAINTCAN
A borrowed ring appears inside a paint can, and then is spray out of the can. Very funny routine with a borrowed ring that your audience hasn’t seen.

IMPROVED BABY GAG
Devin’s new and improved routine using the old baby gag, with new gags and handlings not found in the original.

This lecture will teach you some great magic and mentalism with methods that are devious and doable from a guy who has a lifetime of consistently clever creations. Join us on a trip into the mind of Devin Knight.

I have several of his things, but might still get this to look at some of the other items.
Well, Bart, I saw Devin lecture in person about a year ago, and it truly was just about the worst lecture I have seen. Yes, there were one or two that were lousier than his, but I was extremely disappointed. And I didn't have to pay a dime for it since it was an IBM Ring lecture. I truly hope that everyone who pays the money is satisfied!

:bat:
I've never seen a live performance or demo of his products. Usually only done in a kitchen.
And that's pretty much exactly how he approached his effects in his lecture.

Here's the gimmick; Here's how it works; I'll pass it around for you to look at it.

No one in my IBM Ring bothered to make his special levitation shoe because nobody liked it. I asked several of my friends about it afterwards.

He was also VERY BORING. The personality of a hard boiled egg.

I have no personal bone to pick with Devin. All I'm trying to do is save you guys $29.95 or $24.95 or the $19.95 that it will be 3 hours before the lecture.

Magicians looking out for magicians.

[quote]
On 2013-07-30 08:45, BatsMagic wrote:
And that's pretty much exactly how he approached his effects in his lecture.

Here's the gimmick; Here's how it works; I'll pass it around for you to look at it.

No one in my IBM Ring bothered to make his special levitation shoe because nobody liked it. I asked several of my friends about it afterwards.

He was also VERY BORING. The personality of a hard boiled egg.

I have no personal bone to pick with Devin. All I'm trying to do is save you guys $29.95 or $24.95 or the $19.95 that it will be 3 hours before the lecture.

Magicians looking out for magicians.

[/quote]

I saw Devin as well here here in Phoenix - easily one of the dullest and worst I've ever seen.

He certainly has some interesting products - but as a speaker? Pass
Thanks for backing me up on that, saysold!

I find this interesting. I thought I was alone in this perspective. I saw him perform before and was disappointed as he was very flat and non-entertaining. I thought it was just a poor or isolated incident.
And if saysold and I saved you $20 or $30 by reading this, you can send us both $5 apiece as a token of your appreciation.

My PayPal account is: reallybigfatmouth@Devincan'tstandme.com

WOW!
Well... some persons are more creative offstage than onstage.
I never seen Devin perform for real, so maybe he only has to offer the community effects, not performances.

Best
Interesting.... I saw Devin two years ago and he did a fine job. Actually everyone at the lecture really enjoyed it and the material he presented. Not to mention he was overly courteous with his time and answering questions. So I have to say my experience was not as what some here say.

RNK
Yes, RNK, he was very courteous and did answer all questions, and he and his girlfriend went out with a bunch of us (me included) to a diner afterwards where we all treated them both to a meal.

But I still stand by everything that I said.

I own Ring in the Paintcan and I think it is a great effect. Many of his other effects have been well received. I look forward to the lecture.
I would really like you to come here on Monday and give us your opinion, magicduro.

I have no problem with you telling everyone that Bats was totally wrong, and that you were extremely happy with the lecture.

It is a rare thing when we ALL can agree that some magic trick or lecture was great, or that it sucked.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'll also add that I purchased 3 of his tricks (none from the lecture- but I bought them in the month or so before the lecture happened just so I could have a few of his products), and I was not happy with any of them. One of them was "Chess Gambit" (I kind of like Chess, although I am not very good at it), and I can't remember the other two.

Saysold posted that he has some interesting products, and Amira and RNK are happy with his products and/or his lectures, and I respect all three of their opinions. But I disagree with them in this case. Maybe I just bought the wrong 3 tricks.

And you see, now I'm going to look up "Ring in Paint Can" just to find out more about it.

You certainly can't please everyone, but you've got to please yourself.

I have to say that autobend spoon is a huge hit of all of my shows. In fact it made a huge difference in the life of one of my audience members - a young man with special needs. When we (I include the participant in the bending process) finished bending, I hung the spoon on his finger (my own touch to the routine). His mother came up after the show and asked me to autograph it. He was overheard saying "I'll treasure this the rest of my life". She was very thankful as he typically is not expressive or interactive at all. Blindsight has also given me quite a bit of mileage. I appreciate the effects that I've gleaned from Devin.
[quote]
On 2013-07-30 13:40, ventman wrote:
I have to say that autobend spoon is a huge hit of all of my shows. In fact it made a huge difference in the life of one of my audience members - a young man with special needs. When we (I include the participant in the bending process) finished bending, I hung the spoon on his finger (my own touch to the routine). His mother came up after the show and asked me to autograph it. He was overheard saying "I'll treasure this the rest of my life". She was very thankful as he typically is not expressive or interactive at all. Blindsight has also given me quite a bit of mileage. I appreciate the effects that I've gleaned from Devin.
[/quote]

I second that. Blindsight is great. Just wait to see what's on the horizon! I can't wait!!!!
Very touching and beautiful story, ventman!

Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't seen him lecture, but even from his own YouTube videos where he is showcasing the effects, I'll agree that he isn't the most charismatic entertainer I've ever seen.

But I feel that way about some other notable inventors as well. It's somewhat ironic that I actually had a conversation about this exact topic less than a week ago (psychic foreshadowing?) The other person and I talked about how we used certain items despite the fact that the demo videos left a lot to be desired. It hasn't stopped me from getting their products and using them. And, Devin does seem to have some great products.

Since Blindsight was mentioned - I also feel that Blindsight is great and that it can be used for any number of things. I didn't personally feel that colors was all that great a subject, but it can be personalized with anything you want to make it more applicable to an audience. For example, for a more "psychic" feel, use Zener cards or some of the more recognizable Tarot cards. And even the colors get great reactions.
It's a shame he's now left the Café. He's one of the old and bold here and I will miss him posting his latest effects, good or bad.
I have some paint I need to watch dry during this time period. Will be pre-occupied.
I've found his demo videos underwhelming. And I wouldn't be surprised if this lecture is cringe-worthy.

BUT, I do believe he has some good ideas (not including the one trick where you saw through a paper plate), and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The good thing about the Penguin Live All Access Pass is that it averages out to $12.50 per lecture so if I get one thing from a lecture I feel I've gotten my money's worth.
Did Penguin change the schedule ? I red somewhere that the Joshua Quinn was scheduled for the 4th August.

Regards
It's right at the bottom of the Café screen. Devin Knight this Sunday.

I have never seen Devin lecture so I do not have an opinion on his speaking skills. I can comment on Backstage monte and I think he did a good job on that effect. The old 3 card monte (Jumbo) with a flap, but with a kicker ending. Nice effect.
[quote]
On 2013-07-30 16:19, magicbyswh wrote:
I have never seen Devin lecture so I do not have an opinion on his speaking skills. I can comment on Backstage monte and I think he did a good job on that effect. The old 3 card monte (Jumbo) with a flap, but with a kicker ending. Nice effect.
[/quote]

Yes, the Backstage Monte is a nice effect. Simple to do, but it's a fooler. Works especially well when the final reveal ties back to an earlier effect.

I've always enjoyed reading Devin's manuscripts that come with his effects. They're generally full of subtleties and problem-solving insights that are useful to read whether or not you choose to perform the effect itself. He often goes into a great deal more detail than you'd expect in order to explain the effect and the principles and psychology behind it.

I purchased a large illusion from him a few months ago, and he took the time to drive a nine-hour roundtrip to my house in order to deliver it and demonstrate its handling. Plus he took the time to walk my assistant and me through his preferred handling for Tubed Out, which Devin used to manufacture; I had a used model in my basement but was never able to find a copy of the original instructions. Turns out that mine was a "clone" of the model he manufactured, but that didn't seem to matter to him. I gave him some money for gas and a little for his time, but he certainly didn't ask for it. Seemed happy just to share what he knew. And he made a point of teaching my son a card trick, which he's been practicing since.

Anyway, I'll definitely plan on watching Devin's lecture at some point.
[quote]
On 2013-07-30 16:06, overflow wrote:
Did Penguin change the schedule ? I red somewhere that the Joshua Quinn was scheduled for the 4th August.
[/quote]

Yes, it changed. Originally I was scheduled for the 4th and Devin was scheduled for the 11th, but I had a scheduling conflict pop up and Devin was kind enough to switch with me. So Devin's lecture is now on the 4th, and mine will be on the 11th. Looking forward to it!
I spoke with Devin and I am excited about this lecture. There will be a lot of doable practical items shared
[quote]
On 2013-08-01 10:31, ted french wrote:
I spoke with Devin and I am excited about this lecture. There will be a lot of doable practical items shared
[/quote]

That's one thing I love about most of Devin's work- practical and workable effects!

RNK
Ted, how much will require purchased props from him versus DIY ?
The large majority of stuff will NOT require you to purchase any additional props. If you have to make something it will be very easy and come from stuff you have around your house. Like I said solid practical stuff. I'm looking forward to the ACAAN and also learning "Blind Sight".
Thx...sounds like a winner
Just wanted to say that I purchased Devin's "Autobend Silverware" last night and I love it! I went out and bought everything for 3 bucks. I made a few today and I LOVE playing with it. It's a really awesome tool.
I was fortunate enough to see Devin lecture live a couple of years ago.

While he may not be the most dynamic performer out there he really does have some great ideas; he's a super nice chap too. I'll be tuning in on Sunday.

Regards,
Laurence.
I think Knight's taking his marbles and going home from the Café was a bit ill-timed given the timing of his Penguin lecture. That said, I note that "Blindsight" is on the program, and back around when I first joined the Café that was a really celebrated routine here and in the "Penny" section. I bought it, it's easily makeable yourself and it's a great piece. The first time I did it it felt like real magic -- which, that one time, it was, as the routine just played out without any of its trickery being required. (Those who have this routine will know what I mean.)
[quote]
On 2013-08-02 18:29, bugjack wrote:
I think Knight's taking his marbles and going home from the Café was a bit ill-timed given the timing of his Penguin lecture.
[/quote]

I agree.

I remember taking my ball home when the guys were all over me for not wearing Keds.

They just got themselves another ball.

I buy a lot of Devin's magic. His releases are well thought out, usually with multiple kickers. He always includes history and ideas.
His Glassbox revisited has ideas for publicity that are brilliant. I think this lecture will be really good especially with all the naysayers around. Like a grudge match for magic!
James
Why is it when members come on here and speak of their personal experiences that makes them naysayers?
I wish Devin the best and hope he joins us back on the Café
I know a lot of you guys out there think that I'm Debbie Downer, but I honestly hope the lecture is good.

All I can say is that he lectured at my IBM Ring about a year ago, and not one person I spoke to about it afterwards was satisfied with it. And I do talk to my pals about how they liked the lectures that we have. I do have pals, you know.

I looked up "Blindsight" to see if he did it there, and I'm certain that he did. It is quite possible that I just was not impressed because of his presentation. An excellent trick with a lousy presentation= a lousy trick. An OK trick with an excellent presentation= an excellent trick.

I'd be willing to bet that if I saw Xiqual perform "Blindsight" I would be impressed.

Just my opinion, not a fact; so we could go back and forth all year about it and not come to an agreement.

I will come here on Monday and solicit opinions from those who saw the lecture.

I hope many say "Bats, you were WRONG and you missed something that I will never forget".

Then I'll take my ball away and cry myself to sleep.

:bat: Bats
Bats, I think the point you make is a valid one, and something I think about when buying every trick.

You can't base how good an effect is on the person performing. Some people are creators, some people are performers, some people are both. I believe Devin is extremely creative but not the best performer of our era. And that's okay! He doesn't have to be! But you have to look at the effect that is at the core of the presentation and you have to think to yourself "Is this effect something I can work with?" If the answer is yes, buy it! Buy it and work on a presentation that is more lively and justifies everything.

The problem with the new generation of magic is that magicians are too lazy to try to think of their own presentations. Trust me! I would know more than anyone! I used to learn the script for every magic effect I ever had and would perform it exactly like they taught. But sense then, I do things differently now. I sit down and try to think out a presentation that is fun and that I think my particular audience would enjoy.
And Maddy, you too have a valid point.

I used to try doing things exactly the way they were taught by the creator also, since they had all of the experience, but I found that a lot of the time it just wasn't me. Being comfortable with your patter is important, and I am very comfortable with mine. I don't think anyone would ever think I am following some sort of script.

I adapt almost every trick to a style that suits me.

Like, for instance, I currently have and am using "I Hate Kids." I love it, but there is just NO WAY that I can say that line during a performance. People that know me (and even those that don't) would just KNOW that that is a lie. I am always told that I am SO GOOD with kids. So when the kid wins the dollar and walks away and it comes time for me to say that line, I say "That's why I HATE doing this for kids. Adults NEVER win the money". That works for me.

Post number 1,000 for me. Three years ago I was just a lurker laughing at all of the back-and-forth sniping (which can be quite amusing sometimes, and quite frustrating at other times), and I figured that I would never even have post number one.

:bat: Bats
I have purchased a lot of Devin's effects over the years and have been impressed with his thinking and detail on almost everything. And I don't blame Devin at all for leaving this forum as it reminds me most of the time of junior high school with all the snarky negative comments by wannabes.

Kevin
I mean people that have an agenda with Devin and make comments that are not constructive. If you are not one of those people then I was not referring to you.
James

[quote]
On 2013-08-02 21:24, Mindpro wrote:
Why is it when members come on here and speak of their personal experiences that makes them naysayers?
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-08-03 21:55, carmean wrote:
I have purchased a lot of Devin's effects over the years and have been impressed with his thinking and detail on almost everything. And I don't blame Devin at all for leaving this forum as it reminds me most of the time of junior high school with all the snarky negative comments by wannabes.

Kevin
[/quote]

Although I don't know the exact circumstances, I disagree with your comment as Devin's leaving was (I think) less about "snarky" JH comments as legitimate gripes by customers.

In any event, people make their own beds.

The Café is like real life - good, bad and ugly... pick your poison. As a creator if you can't handle the fire, blah blah blah.

I personally find a lot of good on here, and creators like Jamie Grant, Peter Nardi and many others have learned how to chart the waters here quite adeptly without losing their cool.

In the end, Devin hurts himself more by leaving than the reverse imo.
[quote]
On 2013-08-03 22:04, Xiqual wrote:
I mean people that have an agenda with Devin and make comments that are not constructive. If you are not one of those people then I was not referring to you.
James

[quote]
On 2013-08-02 21:24, Mindpro wrote:
[/quote]
[/quote]

James/Xiqual is a great example of an longtime Café user who is extremely helpful with ideas and opinions (strong at times), but also stands up for what is right.
I find it interesting that people Usually expect magic creators to be good performers. Not all song writers can perform. Most playwrights aren't actors. There are plenty of magic creators that don't really perform.

Now, I haven't seen Devin perform so I can't speak to that but sometimes you have to see the potential in an effect despite the perormance.

As for people leaving the Café,I dot blame anyone for that. I've almost left myself a couple of times. This place can be infuriating. :)
Also true in martial arts. Usually the best coaches are just mediocre fighters or not even fighters at all.
James

[quote]
On 2013-08-03 23:28, Cameron Francis wrote:
I find it interesting that people Usually expect magic creators to be good performers. Not all song writers can perform. Most playwrights aren't actors. There are plenty of magic creators that don't really perform.

Now, I haven't seen Devin perform so I can't speak to that but sometimes you have to see the potential in an effect despite the perormance.

As for people leaving the Café,I dot blame anyone for that. I've almost left myself a couple of times. This place can be infuriating. :)
[/quote]
Now that I didn't know! Interesting...
Must admit I'm quite surprised that so many people require a lecturer to be a dynamic performer as well as a great inventor and creator of magic. I think it's a big mistake to pass a lecture by because the lecturer is boring... you may just miss out on some of the cleverest ideas if you do.

However, I can also appreciate that the very best lectures to watch involve great personalities since the performance really sells the effect - and the explanation can be quite a painful process sometimes.

I'll be honest, I find almost all explanations incredibly painful; what could often be explained in just a few minutes sometimes takes 15-20 minutes because everything is described so explicitly. On the other hand, some discussion about the psychology of an effect or about why a certain route was taken in developing the method is really valuable but often overlooked.

Anyway, I'll be picking up Devin's lecture because I have a good feeling about it; he has a very creative mind and that's what I'm most interested in.

Hey, aren't these Penguin lectures fantastic btw - costing me a fortune but SO good!

Jamie.
I think the concern is based on the fact that these lectures are long and even the most dynamic personalities have trouble holding everyone, including themselves. Then you combine this with his latest info-product releases which many have purchased and stated in other threads the content is questionable at best or dissatisfactory.

I thought his reputation was as an effect creator, but others have added his performances, lecture and info products. When you are multi-faceted, you open yourself up to critique on multiple levels. I think it will be interesting to see how many attend or purchase the lecture and if the feedback is any different that his other recent lecture reviews. He needs, energy, personality and strong content to blow them away (if not should one really be lecturing?)

I also question his choice of content. For a lecture of this magnitude I would think he'd be including his best and most reputable releases and material.
It's been nearly 3.5 hours and we're moving to the Q&A section. I didn't really know Devin's work well at all, but I have to say I'm impressed. There's been a wealth of very good, creative and workable magic of all kinds. I'm definitely looking forward to watching the lecture again (and going through all the PDFs Devin is giving away along with the lecture). Oh, and I think he's been a fine performer and lecturer. No complaints. :)
So glad I ordered this! Have seen it but glad to hear about the free PDFs...will that be in our penguin inventory?
[quote]
On 2013-08-04 22:32, MagicBrent wrote:
So glad I ordered this! Have seen it but glad to hear about the free PDFs...will that be in our penguin inventory?
[/quote]

I believe so--all that extra stuff should be in the "My Penguin Magic" section under Devin's lecture download.
The lecture had a lot, A LOT, of good material in it. I had to break away a couple of times, so I'll look forward to reviewing the video to see what I missed.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
I had to work tonight and only saw two effects and part of another. I thought all were pretty good. Can I use them all in a show? Not really, but I could if I wanted to or needed to. I have an All Access Pass from Penguin, and have found it to be a great deal. There have been times I purchased two lectures in a month, which cost me more than a pass. So, it is a great deal.

I know Devin took some heat for his SEO book, but I just picked up his $1,000 a day book and found it to be quite interesting and something I can do. I will try it out soon.

Bobby
I really enjoyed Devon's lecture.

Very friendly and knowledgeable.

Devon demoed a lot of his top products and them gave them away in the form of PDFs. Great value.I got far too much for what I paid.I will have to buy something off him to even things up.

Chappelly
I have been watching Penguin lectures for a few months, but this is my first time posting on the Café. Based on some peoples comments before the lecture, I wasn't sure what to think. I just watched this lecture and I have to say, WOW. Devin really surprised me. He really packed this full of GREAT material, and I can't believe how many extra downloads Devin included lecture (worth hundreds of dollars). This has to be one of the my favorite Penguin lectures. My favorite was the chess mentalism effect, I will definitely be using this in my show.
Great job Devin! I am glad your lecture went well. Seems all who saw it were very pleased. Interesting.... If you just sit here for a moment.... you can hear the crickets in the background from where the naysayers once were! Love it!

Devin has a very creative mind and majority of his effects reflect that.

RNK
Glad it went well and those attending enjoyed it. That still doesn't change the experience and opinions others have or have previously experienced. No crickets here, so stop trying to stir something up that doesn't exist.

No one's ever doubted his "creative mind". While a few state they were disappointed with his creations, most expressed experiences pertaining to other aspects. If your experience is different, great, but there's no need to put down others who have had different experiences and opinions.
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 12:29, Mindpro wrote:
Glad it went well and those attending enjoyed it. That still doesn't change the experience and opinions others have or have previously experienced. No crickets here, so stop trying to stir something up that doesn't exist.

No one's ever doubted his "creative mind". While a few state they were disappointed with his creations, most expressed experiences pertaining to other aspects. If your experience is different, great, but there's no need to put down others who have had different experiences and opinions.
[/quote]

Funny how when the shoe is on the other foot at the café- people get so defensive. Not putting anybody down- nothing I said was derogatory or mean. You guys came out firing against Devin. It would be one thing to state your peace then move on- but that doesn't happen here. No wonder people end up leaving this place.
No one "came out firing" against him or anyone. You don't seem to be understanding this. Several came on here explainig of their personal experience. This is their reality. They were simply stating and offering their experiences and opinions. They should be chastised for thir or deemed "naysayers". Same for it you enjoyed it, great for you, no one is putting you down for it.
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 13:18, Mindpro wrote:
No one "came out firing" against him or anyone. You don't seem to be understanding this. Several came on here explainig of their personal experience. This is their reality. They were simply stating and offering their experiences and opinions. They should be chastised for thir or deemed "naysayers". Same for it you enjoyed it, great for you, no one is putting you down for it.
[/quote]

You don't seem to understand- people here don't state their opinion and move on- they state it- state it again and state it again. And then when someone states a difference of opinion- they re-state the SAME opinion again. That's what happened here- that's what happened on the Inexplicable thread- happens all over here. And that is the true reality....
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 13:40, RNK wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

You don't seem to understand- people here don't state their opinion and move on- they state it- state it again and state it again. And then when someone states a difference of opinion- they re-state the SAME opinion again. That's what happened here- that's what happened on the Inexplicable thread- happens all over here. And that is the true reality.... very rare for civil debates on the café.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 13:41, RNK wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 13:40, RNK wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

You don't seem to understand- people here don't state their opinion and move on- they state it- state it again and state it again. And then when someone states a difference of opinion- they re-state the SAME opinion again. That's what happened here- that's what happened on the Inexplicable thread- happens all over here. And that is the true reality.... very rare for civil debates on the café.
Looks like someone just stated his opinion, and then stated it again and again...

Bah dah bum.
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 13:47, Robert P. wrote:
Looks like someone just stated his opinion, and then stated it again and again...

Bah dah bum.
[/quote]

My point exactly. Thanks Robert. Pointless posts.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Aug 5, 2013 01:49PM)
Does anyone know if you purchase the lecture now (Monday after lecture) if the pdfs are still included?

Thanks!

Lou
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 14:49, illusions & reality wrote:
Does anyone know if you purchase the lecture now (Monday after lecture) if the pdfs are still included?

Thanks!

Lou
[/quote]

They always have been in the past.

I'm a big fan of much of Devin's work. He doesn't always hit the target but when he does it is gold.
RNK wrote:
[quote]

You don't seem to understand- people here don't state their opinion and move on- they state it- state it again and state it again. And then when someone states a difference of opinion- they re-state the SAME opinion again. That's what happened here- that's what happened on the Inexplicable thread...No wonder people end up leaving this place...
[/quote]

Total individual posts by RNK on the Inexplicable thread = 103.

If people are leaving we know who to blame! :)
I believe the PDFs are available to anyone that purchases the lecture.

Excellent lecture, lots of interesting and creative ideas, Devin has a real enthusiasm for what he does.

[quote]
On 2013-08-05 12:07, RNK wrote:
Great job Devin! I am glad your lecture went well. Seems all who saw it were very pleased. Interesting.... If you just sit here for a moment.... you can hear the crickets in the background from where the naysayers once were! Love it! Devin has a very creative mind and majority of his effects reflect that.
[/quote]

RNK, by writing that you are inviting previous posters to respond, specifically the 'naysayers' as you call them. Mindpro responds to your post as he is entitled to do...

[quote]
On 2013-08-05 12:29, Mindpro wrote:

[/quote]

You then berate Mindpro for 'not moving on' because he stated his opinion again in response to your post [b]even though you were the one that chose to reopen the debate.[/b]

[quote]
On 2013-08-05 12:50, RNK wrote:
Funny how when the shoe is on the other foot at the café- people get so defensive. Not putting anybody down- nothing I said was derogatory or mean. You guys came out firing against Devin. It would be one thing to state your peace then move on- but that doesn't happen here. No wonder people end up leaving this place.
[/quote]

Honestly RNK, if you have issues with someone restating their opinion in response to something you yourself posted then maybe it's better not to post anything.

On ANY forum (not just the Magic Café) it is poor form and a bit silly to make a post directed at previous posters in the manner you did and then berate them because they chose to respond to you.

Regards,
Lar
Lar has further solidified my point. Thanks Lar!
I thought it was a great lecture. I was not bored at all, and Devin seems like a really nice guy. It was very generous of him to give all the .pdf's for free.
Is it possible to get a list of the pdf's?

Mark
RNK--
Shut up.
There... did that solidify your point?
BTW, I agree with you.
Now, shut up.
By posting in response you are proving my point about proving your point, but if you don't post again... well, then that just proves my point, which is after all, your point. Right?
No response is necessary.
--Harlan
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 17:30, DanHarlan wrote:
RNK--
Shut up.
BTW, I agree with you.
Now, shut up.
By posting in response you are proving my point about proving your point, but if you don't post again... well, then that just proves my point, which is after all, your point. Right?
--Harlan
[/quote]

If I knew how to do that clapping emoji, I would!
Maddy, allow me...

:applause:
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 17:51, Funnybaldbloke wrote:
Maddy, allow me...

:applause:
[/quote]

You have taught me something!

:applause: :applause:

Woohoo! Haha
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 15:33, Martin Pulman wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 14:49, illusions & reality wrote:

Thanks!

Lou
[/quote]

They always have been in the past.

I'm a big fan of much of Devin's work. He doesn't always hit the target but when he does it is gold.
[/quote]

Since they have been in the past, I presumed they would be, but with the chat function, it's easy to check, so I did.

And ... all the extras will be included.
[quote]
RNK--
Shut up.
BTW, I agree with you.
Now, shut up.
--Harlan
[/quote]

Not really Dan. This is my first and only response to you. Shame that a professional has to speak that way. As I thought more of you but I guess considering your past I should have known better. I thought you might have grown up by now. But in time all things come to light. True colors always seem to surface.

RNK
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 17:31, Magic.Maddy wrote:

[/quote]

When you're making a post, below it you should see something which says:

Disable Smilies on this Post

Click on the work Smilies and you'll see a lot of the available emojis (or Smilies)

Here's the direct link if you prefer:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/faq.php#smilies

Sorry if this is too elementary, but copy the code on the left, not the picture, and paste it in your reply. For example, the one you asked about, is the word
applause
Make sure to include the : on both sides.
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 18:50, barts185 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 17:31, Magic.Maddy wrote:

[/quote]

When you're making a post, below it you should see something which says:

Disable Smilies on this Post

Click on the work Smilies and you'll see a lot of the available emojis (or Smilies)

Here's the direct link if you prefer:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/faq.php#smilies

Sorry if this is too elementary, but copy the code on the left, not the picture, and paste it in your reply.
[/quote]

You learn something new everyday!!

Thanks for that! :dance:

This is gonna be fun XP
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 18:48, RNK wrote:
I thought you might have grown up by now.
[/quote]
Really?? Have you seen his hair?

Sorry Dan, couldn't resist, I love you man.

Mark
[quote]
[quote]
RNK--
Shut up.
BTW, I agree with you.
Now, shut up.
--Harlan
[/quote]

Not really Dan. This is my first and only response to you. Shame that a professional has to speak that way. As I thought more of you but I guess considering your past I should have known better. I thought you might have grown up by now. But in time all things come to light. True colors always seem to surface.

RNK
[/quote]

I guess we can see who's attacking and mudslinging here. I guess yours is the only opinion that matters and you've appointed yourself in charge of this thread. All of this towards Dan and he even agreed with you. Seems like there's a bully amongst us.
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 19:16, Mindpro wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
RNK--
Shut up.
BTW, I agree with you.
Now, shut up.
--Harlan
[/quote]

RNK
[/quote]

I guess we can see who's attacking and mudslinging here. I guess yours is the only opinion that matters and you've appointed yourself in charge of this thread. All of this towards Dan and he even agreed with you. Seems like there's a bully amongst us.
[/quote]

Lol, your great Mindpro. Nothing written in my post insinuates anything you wrote.

A bully? Lol. I never told anyone to shut up. Lol. Lol. Gotta love the Café.

RNK
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 16:06, RNK wrote:
[/quote]

I'm not sure what 'point' you think I 'solidified' because you've made quite a few 'points' in this thread.

I do think we share the same opinion regarding Devin's lecture insofar as I found the lecture enjoyable and informative.

Beyond that I think we have differing opinions on many things; this isn't a bad thing RNK. Being able to discuss differences of opinion with one another is essential if we want to understand other peoples point of view. Doing so allows us to question and examine our own point of view and become more informed with respect to the matter at hand.

Personally I find that the way you articulate your opinion can sometimes be divisive and confrontational which makes it difficult for me to a conduct a reasonable conversation with you. I hope that can change.

What was the point of your post about 'crickets'? You liked the lecture but noted that the people who weren't Pro-Devin before the lecture had gone quiet. You seemed to suggest that they hadn't made any posts after the lecture because they didn't want to eat 'humble pie' and agree with you that it was a good lecture and that their opinion of Devin was wrong.

To me, the more logical explanation for why they hadn't posted is because they never purchased the lecture and thus had no comment to make.

Best wishes,
Lar
Just purchased this lecture based on the third promo video! About to watch!

I also just downloaded all the PDF... heck! There really are a ton! haha
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 20:33, lhookway wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 16:06, RNK wrote:
[/quote]

I'm not sure what 'point' you think I 'solidified' because you've made quite a few 'points' in this thread.

I do think we share the same opinion regarding Devin's lecture insofar as I found the lecture enjoyable and informative.

Beyond that I think we have differing opinions on many things; this isn't a bad thing RNK. Being able to discuss differences of opinion with one another is essential if we want to understand other peoples point of view. Doing so allows us to question and examine our own point of view and become more informed with respect to the matter at hand.

Personally I find that the way you articulate your opinion can sometimes be divisive and confrontational which makes it difficult for me to a conduct a reasonable conversation with you. I hope that can change.

What was the point of your post about 'crickets'? You liked the lecture but noted that the people who weren't Pro-Devin before the lecture had gone quiet. You seemed to suggest that they hadn't made any posts after the lecture because they didn't want to eat 'humble pie' and agree with you that it was a good lecture and that their opinion of Devin was wrong.

To me, the more logical explanation for why they hadn't posted is because they never purchased the lecture and thus had no comment to make.

Best wishes,
Lar
[/quote]

I didn't expect you to figure it out Lar. Now. If you go back to the 1st page of the thread and READ it. You will see my initial response TO BATSMAGIC AND SAYSOLD who BOTH said they saw Devin lecture and BOTH said the stuff they did about it. Now- FIRST- that throws your, "To me, the more logical explanation for why they hadn't posted is because they never purchased the lecture and thus had no comment to make." statement out the door. THEY DID see it and I made a response of my differing opinion to theirs!

Second, my initial post was a response of MY opinion which you encourage from what you stated previously- "Beyond that I think we have differing opinions on many things; this isn't a bad thing RNK. Being able to discuss differences of opinion with one another is essential if we want to understand other peoples point of view. Doing so allows us to question and examine our own point of view and become more informed with respect to the matter at hand." statement." So me replying to SAYSOLD and BATSMAGIC's statements of MY differing opinion in that I enjoyed the lecture and got a lot out of it- WHICH is what some are now posting AFTER seeing it is troubling and hard for you to understand? Look at my initial post- I said nothing mean or derogatory- just stated MY differing opinion!

I suggest you read the posts (ALL of them) before making a false statement as you did.

As for my tone- those that know me understand that I am not that way- I simply have had it with people making nonsense posts when someone else makes a statement they don't agree with (which is ones own opinion which is something you encourage) and like many others are now understanding why they don't post on the café anymore.

RNK
I couldn't agree more.
--Harlan
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 17:11, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Is it possible to get a list of the pdf's?

Mark
[/quote]
Around The Square
AutoBend Silverware
Super Deluxe Baby-Gag Routine
Blindsight
Chess Gambit
Clip Line Extraordinaire
Dumbfounded
Far Sight
A KNIGHT OF MAGIC - Devin Knight’s 2009-2010 Lecture Tour Notes
Tarot Sight

Descriptions here:

http://www.lybrary.com/devin-knight-m-86331.html
I for one am THROUGHLY satisfied...Devon was short, to the point and extremely generous...material was commercial and usable.
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 21:05, RNK wrote:
I didn't expect you to figure it out Lar. Now. If you go back to the 1st page of the thread and READ it. You will see my initial response TO BATSMAGIC AND SAYSOLD who BOTH said they saw Devin lecture and BOTH said the stuff they did about it. Now- FIRST- that throws your, "To me, the more logical explanation for why they hadn't posted is because they never purchased the lecture and thus had no comment to make." statement out the door. THEY DID see it and I made a response of my differing opinion to theirs!
[/quote]

It was my understanding that the lectures BatsMagic and Saysold attended were live lectures. BatsMagic saw Devin's lecture a year ago.

When I said...

"To me, the more logical explanation for why they hadn't posted is because they never purchased the lecture and thus had no comment to make."

...I am clearly referring to Devin's Penguin Live Lecture which is after all the topic of this thread.

BatsMagic and Saysold may have seen Devin's live lecture but I don't think either of them (given their stated viewpoints) purchased Devin's Penguin Live Lecture.

Let me rephrase that statement so that there is no misunderstanding.

"To me, the more logical explanation for why POSTERS WHO HAD AN UNFAVORABLE RESPONSE TO DEVIN'S LECTURES hadn't posted SINCE THE PENGUIN LIVE LECTURE is because they never purchased the PENGUIN LIVE LECTURE and thus had no comment to make concerning THE PENGUIN LIVE LECTURE.

Hopefully that is pretty clear.

[quote]
Second, my initial post was a response of MY opinion which you encourage from what you stated previously- "Beyond that I think we have differing opinions on many things; this isn't a bad thing RNK. Being able to discuss differences of opinion with one another is essential if we want to understand other peoples point of view. Doing so allows us to question and examine our own point of view and become more informed with respect to the matter at hand." statement." So me replying to SAYSOLD and BATSMAGIC's statements of MY differing opinion in that I enjoyed the lecture and got a lot out of it- WHICH is what some are now posting AFTER seeing it is troubling and hard for you to understand? Look at my initial post- I said nothing mean or derogatory- just stated MY differing opinion!
[/quote]

Your initial posts at the beginning of this thread in response to people who did not like Devin's PREVIOUS lectures as much as you did does not trouble me. Nor do I find your posts hard understand.

Your post AFTER THE PENGUIN LIVE LECTURE about 'crickets' and your post berating Mindpro are the posts I took exception to for the reasons I have already stated.

[quote]
I suggest you read the posts (ALL of them) before making a false statement as you did.
[/quote]

I do not know what 'false statement' are you referring to?

[quote]
As for my tone- those that know me understand that I am not that way- I simply have had it with people making nonsense posts when someone else makes a statement they don't agree with (which is ones own opinion which is something you encourage) and like many others are now understanding why they don't post on the café anymore.
[/quote]

What 'tone' you use to voice your opinions is up to you. I only know you from your posts and your frustration is all too evident. To me it makes your posts seem angry and overly confrontational SOMETIMES. Not all the time ... SOMETIMES.

Regards,
Lar.
Well anyway...

I didn't watch the Penguin lecture and I don't have the season pass so I can only go by the reactions of those who watched it.

My initial post on the first page was based on Devin's live lecture in Phoenux performed here a few years ago for the local SAM members. We have been fortunate like many other SAM groups to see a large contingent of performers lecture here.

Sometimes they rock, sometimes not. I know others who say Devin's show also felt that lecture was a bit tired.

If his Penguin lecture was superb than more power to him.

Personally I have only owned a few of Devin's effects so I've never been a fan but I do respect Devin as a creative thinker and creator. I said that before didn't I?

My own silence was as Lawrence said - I really have no biz posting anymore since I didn't watch Sunday's lecture.

I wish Devin the best and again I liked seeing him around here on the Café - hope he returns.
Just popped in to apologize to RNK for my earlier post. I was a bit tired and I got caught up in the excitement/nonsense and couldn't help but do a little plate-spinning myself. Rest assured, it was intended to be ironic, but (now that I've rested a bit) I realize how spot on I was. As my friends at the pub say, "I was just taking the p***." I truly meant no disrespect. Please disregard my pointless, off-topic posts (like this one)... they are not meant to be chopped up and thrown on the fire.
--Harlan
Dan,

I don’t think that you owe any apologies for posts in this thread; yours were rather non-inflammatory and kinda funny.

Though I do believe that an apology IS owed to you. That's all I'll say on the matter.

Jim
Just finished the lecture. Here are my thoughts.

Honestly, when I first saw Devin was coming to do a penguin live, my first thought was "How in the world could anyone pay to watch Devin for 3 hours..." From seeing his demos, he seemed so boring and didn't seem very passionate about his work. That said, I found the description of the auto bend silverware intriguing so I went to lybrary and purchased the $8.00 manuscript detailing how to make it. I have to say, I loved it. The next day I went out, bought all of the necessary materials ($4 for everything) and immediately started playing with it and I really liked it.

Then I saw a couple of satisfied reviews on here and some of the other effects sounded interesting so after much debate, I decided that I would dismiss my thoughts about Devin and purchase the lecture.

I'm SOOO glad I took the plunge. Devin's lecture was packed full of real-world, workable material. All of it was extremely well thought out and the routines continued to fool me. I honestly think I was fooled by 75% of the routines he showed. That excited me. Not only was the material fantastic, but Devin was not boring at all, and extremely exited to share his material. I didn't find it boring at all. In fact, I found myself hanging onto his every word throughout the lecture. SURE, his performing style is a little slow paced and relaxed which is the complete opposite of mine, but he still did everything really well. Not to mention the fact that he just KEPT giving out PDFs. Almost every effect had a PDF to go with it which is just AWESOME. I also really liked Devin's teaching style. He was very to the point and didn't spend forever and a day explaining the obvious (which meant he got to teach a LOT more magic in 3 hours time than some other lecturers.) I even learned how to solve a slight problem that I was having with auto bend silverware. I will go in depth on the effects tomorrow when I go back and watch again. I do have do commend Dan Harlan for the great job he is doing with the lectures. I hope he continues to be the one hosting because he is by far the best one. He provides some funny moments, and some serious insight that is always helpful, and never rambling. I digress. Moral of the story: I'm super glad that I purchased this for $30. All of the effects had to add up to over $500 worth if you bought them individually. I learned a lot of effects that I want to start using ASAP. They are all extremely practical and very very VERY clever. There were also very few fillers. Once again, I loved it.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Aug 6, 2013 02:59AM)
I purchased this lecture and was very pleased. Great value. And yes, I discovered that the pdfs were included as well, even after purchasing the lecture after the live event.

I have to agree that Dan Harlan does a great job emceeing.

Lou
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 00:22, DanHarlan wrote:
Just popped in to apologize to RNK for my earlier post. I was a bit tired and I got caught up in the excitement/nonsense and couldn't help but do a little plate-spinning myself. Rest assured, it was intended to be ironic, but (now that I've rested a bit) I realize how spot on I was. As my friends at the pub say, "I was just taking the p***." I truly meant no disrespect. Please disregard my pointless, off-topic posts (like this one)... they are not meant to be chopped up and thrown on the fire.
--Harlan
[/quote]

Thanks- apology accepted. Life is to short to hold grudges. Much appreciated!

Jim- I guess I should expect you felt that way after I sent you a personal routine for the Shiva Wallet you asked me to share with you because you were having a tough time figuring out routines for the wallet- I do- and whether you liked it or not- you never replied anything. Not even- "hey- thanks for sharing but your routine is not my style" or even "hey- I liked it- thanks for sharing". So manners must not be your strong point. No matter if I like or don't like when someone shares something with me- I make it a point to thank them for there kindness. We live and learn in this world.....

RNK
I wasn't able to watch Devin's lecture live but I am purchasing the download so I can still see it.

I only have a couple of Devin's ebooks. One is about stopping a running car, which is not his best work! I was pretty sure I knew the method but the ebook was very inexpensive so I bought it just to see. It was nothing surprising as I had expected. But it was still an example of Devin's work that I do appreciate more than anything else - he writes his effects and routines down in ebook format!

In a time when many magic creators take the easy route and release one-trick DVDs that are too often filled with worthless filler material, some still take the time to write out their routines in extreme detail. It is certainly more difficult and time consuming to create books and ebooks, but in my opinion it is much better to have it all written out. There is almost always one or more performance videos available somewhere so you can see the routine in action, but having the details written out is pure gold in my opinion.

Thanks!

Jim
RNK,

Wow! And you don't seem to understand why some members here say that you tend to overreact and post in an overly arrogant way. You really need to read those posts more carefully and see if there is anything positive you can take from them instead of just reacting like this post.

Yes, you did send me the routine and I do appreciate it. That was just a few days ago and I haven't had the time to work through it yet, but I do thank you for sending it.

I feel that my manners are just fine. :) But you really need to take a little time to think before you post these reactions. I don't believe that you are doing yourself any justice... You're better than that!

Thank you.

Jim
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 09:27, J-Mac wrote:
RNK,

Wow! And you don't seem to understand why some members here say that you tend to overreact and post in an overly arrogant way. You really need to read those posts more carefully and see if there is anything positive you can take from them instead of just reacting like this post.

Yes, you did send me the routine and I do appreciate it. That was just a few days ago and I haven't had the time to work through it yet, but I do thank you for sending it.

I feel that my manners are just fine. :) But you really need to take a little time to think before you post these reactions. I don't believe that you are doing yourself any justice... You're better than that!

Thank you.

Jim
[/quote]

You post was clear and easily understood Jim. I don't need to prove anything to anybody nor does anybody else here need to prove themselves to people- this is a computer forum meant for sharing thoughts and ideas. We are all the same. Tell me how I misinterpreted your post?
Yes indeed, Dan. You did a great job as emcee; that's not an easy job and good emcee rarely gets the credit he or she deserves. :coolest:

I'm sorry that some here were less than satisfied with Devin's lectures in the past. But I can't help feeling there was an attempt by some to scare us away from the Penguin lecture, not just advise us about it. That's all I intend to say about that.

Joe L.

[quote]
On 2013-08-06 03:59, illusions & reality wrote:
I purchased this lecture and was very pleased. Great value. And yes, I discovered that the pdfs were included as well, even after purchasing the lecture after the live event.

I have to agree that Dan Harlan does a great job emceeing.

Lou
[/quote]
Better yet Jim- who needs to apologize to Dan? Why not be more specific if you didn't mean me?
Maddy,

Like you, I was very pleased with this lecture. Everything was short and to the point, not a lot of presentation. If you are a young magician without a lot of disposable income, then this is a great lecture because so much was presented. With the lecture, there were seven of Devin's ebooks to download. If the average price is $15, then you are looking at nearly $100 in bonus materials.

I do magic and mentalism, and I can see myself having fun with kids with his Three Card Monte routine. I was stunned by the surprise finish.

Bobby
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 09:27, J-Mac wrote:
RNK,

Thank you.

Jim
[/quote]

Further Jim- the one's who think my tone is arrogant is because it probably is! Because it is in response to their nonsense posts- ones who don't actually perform a trick but yet are so quick to criticize the trick. People who have been around here and perform know I give honest and fair reviews. As I will always do- I never write a biased review. Yes- I am a big enough person to admit- I have gotten a little testy lately- because of couch performers trying to tell the café about a trick they don't even perform or give a chance. Then- Dan strait up tells me to shut up? Yep- that rubbed me the wrong way- no matter what the situation was, I would never tell anybody to shut up in a public forum- not my style. So if my response to Dan telling me to shut up (in your mind) warrants an apology to him- then I would simply like you to explain since it was you who said Dan deserves an apology?

RNK
Jim? You obviously saw my previous posts. Just wandering why you are not responding? This is another reason my posts sound arrogant sometimes- people like you post what you post then don't come back and answer.

You tell me, "Wow! And you don't seem to understand why some members here say that you tend to overreact and post in an overly arrogant way. You really need to read those posts more carefully and see if there is anything positive you can take from them instead of just reacting like this post." You also say "It IS you who is owed the apology" (meaning Dan should get an apology)

But yet- after I ask who owes Dan an apology if you did not mean me, you don't reply? Try to make me sound like I am arrogant but don't come and explain who you meant.

Sad Jim. Buck up and come out of hiding and explain who owes Dan the apology since your previous post implies that you were not talking about me and that I didn't read posts carefully enough.

RNK
RNK... STOP! You continue to deter this thread away from the topic. I tried to bring it back on track, as have others. Now STOP. If everyone else is like me, I stopped reading your posts in this thread about two pages back. PLEASE don't post on this thread again unless it's about Devin's lecture. If you want to continue to posts pointless posts, makae a new thread titled "RNK's whining, complaining, and rudeness" Usually you provide a lot of insight on effects, and I usually enjoy reading your posts, but seriously!? Why are you still posting here!? Take this up with Jim through PM! This is no place to do it! You continue to jump from one argument straight to another. You are CLEARLY not trying to be on topic and you are CLEARLY trying to start various flame wars. There's no need. Now do not post another pointless paragraph that has nothing to do with the penguin live lecture. Thank you.

(I'm sure you will try to start a flame war against me now, since it seems to be your only hobby)
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 11:49, Magic.Maddy wrote:
RNK... STOP! You continue to deter this thread away from the topic. I tried to bring it back on track, as have others. Now STOP. If everyone else is like me, I stopped reading your posts in this thread about two pages back. PLEASE don't post on this thread again unless it's about Devin's lecture. If you want to continue to posts pointless posts, makae a new thread titled "RNK's whining, complaining, and rudeness" Usually you provide a lot of insight on effects, and I usually enjoy reading your posts, but seriously!? Why are you still posting here!? Take this up with Jim through PM! This is no place to do it! You continue to jump from one argument straight to another. You are CLEARLY not trying to be on topic and you are CLEARLY trying to start various flame wars. There's no need. Now do not post another pointless paragraph that has nothing to do with the penguin live lecture. Thank you.

(I'm sure you will try to start a flame war against me now, since it seems to be your only hobby)
[/quote]

Absolutely not my style Maddy. If you had a problem you SHOULD have Pm'ed me and took your OWN advice. Again- I care not what you or anybody thinks here. It's an open forum. I did not jump from one argument to another- others have had to chime in when they probably should not have- just as you did. Again- TAKE your OWN advice and PM me if you have a problem!

RNK

PS- if you look back at the beginning- I was the one who initially spoke for Devin and the quality of his lectures- which is coming to light and seen to be the case. It was others who began the bashing.
Wow. Um. So to bring this sucker back on topic. I was in the camp of people who were skeptical (for a lack of a better word) about Devin's material. I never purchased any of his effects, and thus never said anything about his material. After reading review threads (one of those being the stopping the car one J-Mac mentions) I just chose not to purchase anything.

Seeing the comments from this lecture, however, has caused me to give Devin another look. Thanks to Maddy, Bobby and others for their reviews. I'm glad to see that it turned out well.
Man, this guy doesn't get it. Only his opinion matters and he must have the final word. This is crazy.
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 12:05, Mindpro wrote:
Man, this guy doesn't get it. Only his opinion matters and he must have the final word. This is crazy.
[/quote]

Another prime example Maddy....There are a select few here that don't practice what they are trying to preach.
[quote]because of couch performers trying to tell the café about a trick they don't even perform or give a chance[/quote]
Sometimes I think you have the attitude of a preacher (in the negative sense).
There was an Italian poet who wrote these wonderful words, loosely translated here:
People give good advise when they cannot set a bad example.

So if the trick is "meh" it's because "we are couch performer", the trick "is meant for a pro audience", etc.
Then when you say: "a trick they don't even perform or give a chance". Are you talking about yourself? Because most of the people who said "meh", couch performers, hobbyist and professionals, have tried something different and said that it was better. You candidly admit that you haven't tried anything else and you claim your review is "fair". On the base of what? Of somebody who has tried the first variation to put is hands on?
Sometimes in order to defend your opinion you tend to devalue the opinion of the others.
Sometimes in order to defend your opinion you tend to devalue others (as somebody said it's the hobbyist who built the Ark while the professionals built the Titanic).
Sometimes you amazingly do both things in the same sentence.

I really love and value your opinions... but... see my signature. :)
EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD--- Everyone has valid and interesting points regarding forum discussions on this forum. NOW, out of respect to Devin, I think we would all agree that non-lecture conversation should take place in another thread. Let's give Devin Knight and those interested in learning about the lecture this common courtesy
RNK, please stop trying to derail this thread any longer. It's about Devin Knight - not YOU!

Thank you.

Iain.
[quote]
RNK, please stop trying to derail this thread any longer. It's about Devin Knight - not YOU!
[/quote]

I am guilty too. Will continue my blurb somewhere else. ;)
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 12:23, Iain Moran wrote:

Thank you.

Iain.
[/quote]

Ian- I want to - but others keep posting. Take notice- Take a good hard look at all my initial posts- ALL about DEVIN. That being said- I predict not to far away someone else will post again- off topic posts. I posted nothing against ANYBODY. You guys obviously are not reading from the beginning. It wasn't until Dan Harlan made the rude comment and J-Mac decided that I should apologize to him for Dan telling me to Shut Up. Again- others LOVE drama here (look at papernick- he was never involved in this thread from the beginning- and he had to come and post)!

Most Welcome and Thank You for going back to the beginning of thread and reading what I actually wrote until others de-railed the thread!

RNK
RNK:
you have a talent at poking people with off topic comments like these:
[quote]Yes- I am a big enough person to admit- I have gotten a little testy lately- because of couch performers trying to tell the café about a trick they don't even perform or give a chance.[/quote]
and then blaming when they defend their opinion:
[quote]look at papernick- he was never involved in this thread from the beginning- and he had to come and post[/quote]
You really think you can get away with this, right? "Look it's them, I called them pig and here they are, you see they were never involved and they had to come and reply to me". Silly.
RNK, everything you said has been duly noted. All of us have made mistakes in this thread. Let's just learn our lessons and move on. WHAT DID YOU LIKE ABOUT THE LECTURE?
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 12:57, tjohnson.2 wrote:
RNK, everything you said has been duly noted. All of us have made mistakes in this thread. Let's just learn our lessons and move on. WHAT DID YOU LIKE ABOUT THE LECTURE?
[/quote]

As I stated from the beginning- I saw Devin Lecture before- it covered most everything this lecture covered. I enjoyed all of it. It was very informative and Devin was very generous with his time afterwards. One effect that wasn't covered in this lecture but was in the lecture I saw, maybe it was and correct me if I am wrong, was Predictionary. This is a great effect, very easy to do and blows layman away. Don't know if this is still in production or not.

Papernick- as I stated prior- obviously the truth hits home when I didn't even mention your name in my post which you reference. Not to mention- you paraphrasing what I said was way off, PIGS? lol.

RNK
Further in Pre-dictionary- you can buy those $1.00 or 0.50 cent dictionaries and after they tell you the word they are thinking of- you look up the page and show them how you already circled the word they picked! You then can hand it out to the spectator with your autograph as a souvenir. You don't have to give it to them but it keeps a nice memory for them. The price for this was very reasonable for the effect that is created. Can be done in any situation- close-up or on stage.

RNK
I agree, it is a very baffling and powerful effect
Here is the review for each effect as I mentioned earlier. This is the order they appear in the lecture.

AUTOBEND SILVERWARE:
This is a brilliant effect. You hold a spoon at the fingertips and it magically starts to bend upwards. the spectator can even decide which end of the spoon bends. It's very easy to make up (takes about 2 minutes) For me, this is the perfect spoon bend. I've never liked bending silverware, but this really changed my mind. It just looks like real magic. I will use this.
10/10

HOLLOW LIGHT BULB:
This one really fooled me. You take normal, working light bulb, and place it into a paper bag. You then vanish a whole saltshaker of salt. The bulb comes back out of the bag, the bag is turned over to show it empty and the bulb is now full of salt. (The salt gets poured into the paper bag) It's a freaky but awesome illusion. It's simplicity at it's finest. It is very easy to do and Devin even discusses where to go to be able to make your own Hollow light bulb.
7/10

DISSOLVING ACES:
Four aces vanish one at a time from bare hands with no gimmicks and no sticky stuff. This effect is beautiful and not that hard to master. It didn't fool me, but I'm sure that's just because I'm familiar with the method used. To me, this was one of the weaker effects of the lecture, but Devin swears by it and used this effect to book a restaurant gig. He has the experience to show it's power, but in my eyes it's almost "Too perfect."
7/10

THE BABY GAG:
A classic gag where an audience member names any celebrity, and you pull out a photo of them... when they were a baby. Devin ends by actually pulling out a picture of the celebrity. Devin has a lot of work behind this. There are various jokes throughout the routine that I found very funny. It's a very pun-filled routine that I know will bring laughs from the audience. It is a very comical routine, that ends with a killer climax of the actual celebrity. I will use this.
10/10

FARSIGHT:
Ten cards are dealt face up onto the table. The magician turns his back and stands 20 ft away. The spectator selects any card and covers the other cards up with a handkerchief so no one can see the remaining cards. They then turn their selected card face down on top of the hanky and place their hand on top. Even though your back has been turned the whole time, you are able to correctly name the card they chose from 20 ft away. I had already purchased the manuscript ages ago, but I really like the thinking behind this. It's very clever and something that can be done 100% sure-fire. I may use this.
8/10

BACKSTAGE MONTE:
A magician shows three jumbo cards. For instance, a three of hearts, seven of spades, and three of diamonds. He turns the cards facedown to show the Seven has a different colored back, or has a sticker on the back. When the seven is removed, however, it has 'magically' changed to the King of Spades. You then reveal the effect. You show that it is just a flap that the king hides under making it appear to be a seven. You do the trick again now that they know the secret. But this time when you remove the seven, instead of changing to a king, it changes to an Ace of Hearts! A true kicker ending. I immediately made this up with poker sized cards as I watched the lecture. It is a ton of fun to perform. It is very easy to do and it will fool practically any audience that sees it (especially if they are already familiar with the trick.) I will use this.
10/10

BLINDSIGHT:
Four different colored slips go into four different envelopes. The envelopes are completely opaque. A volunteer tries to determine which color is in which envelope. Whatever color they name gets written on the envelope. They then elect one color to set aside. You then show they were perfectly able to determine which color was in which envelope. Not only that, you show that you predicted which envelope they would place aside. This is an absolutely brilliant effect. The method behind this is very simple, but very devious. Devin taught the original Blindsight and then went into his new method which will make the perfect scenario about 90% of the time. This new method adds a lot to the original and takes this from a good effect to a great effect. It looks like the real deal. I will use this.
9/10

PREDICTIONARY:
A manila envelope sits on the table. You ask someone to name ANY word. You say "Wouldn't it be amazing is your word was PRINTED on a piece of paper inside the envelope!?" They of course say it would be. You then pull out a full dictionary from the envelope. A very funny gag. But you then turn to the page their word is on, and there is one word circled with permanent ink. THEIR WORD. They can look on every other page in the book, no other word is circled. You can then sign the book, and let them keep it as a souvenir. This is a very baffling effect with a very funny initial gag. Much like the baby gag, this starts funny and ends amazing. It's extremely easy to do and make up and yet completely fooling. I will use this.
10/10

TAROT SIGHT:
A full deck of 78 tarot cards are shuffled by a spectator. Once mixed, the spectator deals down the top 5 cards while the magician's back is turned, and even could be across the room. 4 people come up and each THINK of one of the tarot cards. They don't select one. They just THINK of one. You then have them concentrate on a few different aspects of the card, and with absolutely no questions asked, you are able to correctly name the card that each person is thinking of! This is based on Devin's "Foretold" effect. He said that some magicians didn't like foretold and thought it was obvious, so he came up with this method. This is a fantastic effect. It seems above and beyond fair and the method used is a devious one, no doubt. That said, I will personally never be able to perform this in one of my shows, sadly, because I live in an area were tarot cards are viewed as witchcraft and people get very uncomfortable if tarot cards get introduced. That said, I don't think it would be much of a problem to use something besides tarot cards and I will be thinking about what I can use. I HOPE to use this.
9/10

PAINT CAN SURPRISE:
A borrowed ring audibly changes places with the ball inside of a spray-paint can. A black ring then gets sprayed onto a piece of card stock with the spray-paint. When the can is shaken now, there is no rattling inside. The card stock gets signed by the spectator and folded into a small tube. Out from the tube falls her ring. When the paper is unrolled, the black spray-painted ring has vanished. I think this is another example of Devin's cleverness. The core idea is very smart and the way you can audible hear the sound change from a ball to a ring is pretty awesome. However, to me, this routine just doesn't really work. Devin tried desperately to make the routine make sense, but I think it is still a little off. I think the lecture would have been perfectly fine without this. I won't be using this.
6/10

SANDA-PANDA BOX:
A gift box is introduced and is said to contain a deck of cards, a $20 bill, and a folded playing card. The game is "Deal or No Deal" If the spectator gets any card except for the folded one, they win the $20. If they get the card that IS folded, they do not win the $20. So they have 51 chances to win and 1 chance to lose. The cards are spread face up and they name any card they see (really!) They hold onto the card and when the box is opened, low and behold, there is a deck,a $20 bill, and a folded playing card. The magician simply takes the lid off. His hands never go near the box after that. The spectator removes the deck of cards and is told to remove the cards from the box, go through the cards, and remove his selected card. If he can remove his card, he wins the $20. The spectator goes through every card. Their selection is not in the deck. They then remove the folded card that is still inside the gift box and it is indeed the freely selected card. This is based off of a very clever principle. The box is 100% normal. It isn't gaffed in any way, and yet you can do TON'S of effects with it. It is a very clean prediction device. The included PDF covers a few effects to use with the box. I will most definitely be looking for a box that meets the needs (shouldn't be too hard.) I want to use this.
9/10

DUMBFOUNDED:
This is an ACAAN plot using two decks. One of which you never touch. No gimmicks or duplicates. When this first came out a while back, I saw the demo and thought "Seriously, Devin? You are selling THIS? It is so obvious, no one would be fooled by that." Yet, I stand corrected. Devin's performance was fantastic in the lecture and the fact that he was shuffling the deck with real shuffles, really fooled me. In the end, it's a pretty good effect. For me though, it will not be going into my plethora of ACAAN effects. I will not use this.
7/10

AROUND THE SQUARE:
A square is cut from a newspaper. When opening the newspaper, the square visibly morphs into a circle. A very visual effect. Devin presents the effect as just described, but he also mentions forcing a circle with esp cards, cutting the square saying you've cut their shape, and then revealing it to be a circle. I really like the simplicty behind this and I think the visual change from square to circle is astounding. Btw, Devin invented this when he was NINE! Woswza! I will be using this.
10/10

CLIP LINE EXTRAORDINAIRE:
Two newspaper articles are shown and numbered. One has a '1' drawn on the front and one has a '2' drawn on the front. Two predictions are handed out from the very start. The papers are held together and the magician has a spectator read the top line of the news, then he clips off a line and has them read the next line, he continues doing this a bit and then starts cutting faster and tells the spectator to stop him. When he stops, the magician brings the other piece to the front and (holding both of the articles together again) begins to clip away from the BOTTOM. Once again, the spectator reads the bottom line as he clips proving that is really is changing. He starts clipping faster, the spectator stops him. He immediately hands both articles out to the two people with the predictions. They read the predictions which may say "The top line of article 1 will read: Firefighters unite to bring" when they read the top line of article 1, it reads exactly that. The other prediction may read "The bottom line of article 2 will read: Cats destroy man's" and when they read the bottom line of article 2, it reads exactly that. There are no switches of the articles or of the predictions. This one fooled me badly. That said, Devin is very honest in the lecture and says "Magicians love this, but laymen find it boring." I have to agree. It is very smart and will fool almost any magician but a lay crowd may find it underwhelming. For that reason alone, I will not be using this. BUT it's still great!
8/10

CHESS GAMBIT:
This is the last effect taught in the lecture. A chess board is sitting on a table. A volunteer is handed a chess book with a slip of paper folded and sticking out of the top. The magicians says "I will not touch the book again, but my wife is a psychic. I gave her a red crayon, she circled one of these chess pieces in the book and then wrote the page number on that slip of paper so we can find it quickly." A spectator joins the magician, blocks the chess board from everyone's view, grabs ANY chess piece, and places it into a paper bag to be hidden from view. The slip of paper is read aloud, the volunteer holding the book turns to that page, names the chess piece that is circled, And when the spectator removes the chess piece from the bag, it is the exact one that the wife circled. They can flick through the book to be sure there are no other marks. And there aren't. This is another BRILLIANT piece. The whole working is just beautifully done. According to Devin, 90% of the time, you will have an absolute miracle on your hands! But even if it doesn't work perfectly, the effect doesn't change at all from the audience's perspective. The spectator can really take any piece and you never see the actual piece until they remove it from the bag. You can use any chess board. I really really like this. I think it's killer. I'm not sure how my audiences would like it, but I definitely want to give it a try. I may use this.
9/10

STREAMLINED KORAN PAPER TEAR:
This is from the lecture notes provided. It's basically a way to force a certain piece of newspaper on someone after you tear the paper up. It is very very clever and if I can find a use for it, I will use it.
10/10

POKER TELLS:
This is from the lecture notes provided. This is the forerunner to Blindsight. It's workings are practically the same, but you use aces instead of colored cards.
8/10

RETRO-SIGHT WORD LIST:
This is from the lecture notes provided. You show a stack of cards with various words on it. You then show how the words are reversed in a mirror. You then take one of the cards, and with a little magic, it now reads correctly in the mirror but its not reversed in person. You then show every other card in the mirror. Each card is reversed in the mirror, yet with a little magic, every card now reads correctly in the mirror! And every card is now reversed in person! No switches of any kind, and the words are only printed on one side! I like this one a LOT. It is very very clever, but it is a little limited as you have to have a mirror to perform. It would be nice to do at a house party or something. I will use this.
10/10

The PDFs provided are: Around the Square, Autobend silverware, baby gag, Blindsight, Chess Gambit, Clip Line Extraordinaire, Dumbfounded, Farsight, Lecture Notes, Tarot Sight

That's all from me. And only took me 2 hours to write XP
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Aug 6, 2013 12:46PM)
Predictionary was covered in Devin's lecture, including the autograph ending.

Again, great value all around.

My feeling always is that if I walk away with one worker, or a vast improvement on something that I already perform, I received good value. This lecture went way beyond that.

I would agree with all of the positive comments noted above regarding this lecture.

The Blindsight routine alone was worth the price of the lecture, but much more valuable information was included. Although my performance style is much different than Devin's, there was still much to get the creative juices flowing.

Lou
[quote]Papernick- as I stated prior- obviously the truth hits home[/quote]
Repeating the same false statement 1000 times and expecting to turn it into truth doesn't work anymore.
[quote]not to mention- you paraphrasing what I said was way off, PIGS? lol. [/quote]
That was not paraphrasing, it was an example. The trick you referred to has a special place in my heart.
Maddy- where are you when we need you. I am trying to stay on topic here? You see what is happening. LOL!!
I just gave a full review of what all is covered on the previous page. :)
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 14:05, Magic.Maddy wrote:
I just gave a full review of what all is covered on the previous page. :)
[/quote]

No- with papernick- see what I mean?
I'd seen Devin's Live Lecture and I saw his Penguin Lecture.

It was a very different Devin I saw on Sunday. He was more engaging and I got a real sense that he was enjoying himself, eager and enthusiastic to show his stuff. I didn't get that feeling when I saw him live.

Madison pretty much nailed it with his review. Great effects like Blindsight, Tarot Sight and Farsight are covered in full, plus you get the PDFs too. You could buy those alone and spend way more than the cost of the lecture.

By comparison I watched the Marc Spelmann lecture and was a bit disappointed. I love Marc's work and was really looking forward to his lecture so my expectations were high. Although Marc shared some keen insights and a couple of effects I really liked but honestly I was hoping to get more from his lecture.

Whilst Devin may not be the most dynamic performer I feel he stepped up his game for the Penguin Live Lecture. I didn't like everything he did but the stuff I did like was excellent. A great value for money lecture and much better than I had expected.

How many who watched the Lecture saw the ending for Devin's 3 card Monte routine coming? Not me.

Best wishes,
Lar.
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 14:11, lhookway wrote:

How many who watched the Lecture saw the ending for Devin's 3 card Monte routine coming? Not me.

Best wishes,
Lar.
[/quote]

I did!! But only because I looked it up on YouTube haha :D
Thanks Maddy&Lar for your review, you sold me!!
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 14:22, paperinick wrote:
Thanks Maddy&Lar for your review, you sold me!!
[/quote]

No problem! I'm a very satisfied customer.
PS: it's fun how RNK tries reaaaaaaaaally HAAAAAAAARD to stay in topic....
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=519699&forum=218&post=8053835
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=519699&forum=218&post=8053837
...by doubling up his off-topic comments!!!
My last off-topic comment, I give up, my job here is done in exposing RNK as the master in the art of inexplicable derailing. I am pulling a Devin on this part of the thread; I will keep reading, I have pop-corns.
Awesome lecture. Lots of usable material.

Incredibly generous!
Derailing [i]any[/i] thread within a couple of posts until it hasn't anything to do with the original topic....isn't that the definition of 'trolling'?
I agree magicduro. Devin, if you are reading this... Thank you, thank you, thank you! We salute you for your hardwork and generosity int this lecture!
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 14:52, tjohnson.2 wrote:
I agree magicduro. Devin, if you are reading this... Thank you, thank you, thank you! We salute you for your hardwork and generosity int this lecture!
[/quote]

Devin- nice to see this. You are a great creator and very nice person. Good Luck with your future effects. I for one can wait for the Blindsight on the horizon!

RNK

Nice try Nicolino- you should stop trolling yourself as your post had nothing to do with the topic.
Thanks for your detailed review, Maddy. I saw the lecture so have my own (mostly very positive) opinions, but your review will be helpful for many others who are deciding if they should purchase the lecture. Good job!
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 15:56, MovieMan wrote:
Thanks for your detailed review, Maddy. I saw the lecture so have my own (mostly very positive) opinions, but your review will be helpful for many others who are deciding if they should purchase the lecture. Good job!
[/quote]

My pleasure! And Thanks! I always appreciate it when I see complete reviews of lectures and tricks before I buy one, so I figured some people may benefit from it! :)
Just made a successful Hollow bulb! Took 3 tries and a lot of patience but it turned out perfect!
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 18:01, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Just made a successful Hollow bulb! Took 3 tries and a lot of patience but it turned out perfect!
[/quote]
What is the name of the effect?
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 18:02, paperinick wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
What is the name of the effect?
[/quote]

In the lecture notes it's simply called "Hollow Light Bulb effects"

It teaches a few different effects one even without a switch.
There it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohV8gBy06Zs

Vanni Bossi had a few effects with light bulbs, including a coin in the light bulb trick.
Just thought of an idea using the streamlined KORAN PAPER Tear! I thought I would share it here for those that have the lecture notes. This works better close up.

You show a regular sized piece of printer paper and you show that there are 16 different emotions written (or printed) on the page.

They name a number between one and 16 and you then tear the paper up so that there are 16 individual pieces, each one bearing a different emotion. You turn your back and have them count down to their number, and remember the emotion they have.

You can then turn back and instantly reveal their emotion or show that you had it predicted ahead of time. I really like this since you COULD add some cold reading in to take it to an extra level. But in all honesty, this can be used to select ANYTHING that you want. As long as there are 16 items on the paper!

And something cool, if you make up a page and print it, you could perform the effect 4 times with 4 different outcomes. Kind of cool!
Maddy--
Great idea!
I would add the Dunninger Ploy (when possible), like Colin McLeod does, so that I could tear up the paper before asking my helper to "silently count down to their mentally selected number!"
My mind reels at the possibilities!
--Harlan
Dan,

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday. Leland Pennington is coming, too.

You continue to shine as host, especially when you talked about the binary code and how two selections would end up the same (in Devin's lecture, which I loved). I have no clue how you know all you know, but I am glad you do. Know what I mean?

Bobby
I thought this was a great lecture. It was definitely in the top 20% of penguin lectures for me. I appreciate the pace he explained things and the variety of effects he showed.

My "negatives" would be these.

Baby gag: I know it's a classic. But I found the performance/explanation cringeworthy. Michael Jackson jokes? The guy's been in the ground for years. Not that the jokes were inappropriate, just corny at best, hackey at worst. To say they're tired is an insult to narcoleptics. They're comatose.

Blindsight: great trick. But the math in regards to his "improvements" doesn't work out. There's still a chance you won't be able to flash any envelopes regardless of how you pick them up. For ex: if you pick up GRBY and they name RBYG. Its still a great trick.

Devin reminded me of a lot of my dads friends. Older guys who crack jokes and bust themselves up more than the audience. And I say this lovingly. I like those types of guys. I just kind of wish he looked more like what I expect those types of guys to look like. More grandfatherly. He looks like an older guy who stole the hair from someone from Fall Out Boy. Or like he acquired this outfit from a poorly thought-out Hot Topic Formal line of clothes and then he tripped and fell into an old Ringo Starr wig. I think there's a disconnect between his personality and his look. And when these things are incongruous it can throw an audience off. I'd rather his look mirror his personality.

All that said, I think this was a great lecture with a lot of workable material. I found Devin very likable and super generous. I'd love to see him back again.
[quote]
On 2013-08-08 09:49, Magicsquared wrote:

.....like he acquired this outfit from a poorly thought-out Hot Topic Formal line of clothes and then he tripped and fell into an old Ringo Starr wig.
[/quote]

Now, now Magicsquared. That may well be the funniest thing I've ever read on the Café, but it is also a little cruel.

Also, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger are still sporting suspiciously dark locks and dodgy choice of coloured blouses, and no one demands that they look like someone's grandad chewing toffee on the front porch. If Devin wants to work the ageing rock-star look, more power to him!
Am I correct in getting that this lecture was more magic than mentalism?
[quote]
On 2013-08-07 16:05, DanHarlan wrote:
Maddy--
Great idea!
I would add the Dunninger Ploy (when possible), like Colin McLeod does, so that I could tear up the paper before asking my helper to "silently count down to their mentally selected number!"
My mind reels at the possibilities!
--Harlan
[/quote]

Great idea! Or also having them name the number and using the old ploy of immediately make another statement kind of ignoring them, and then ask the number again at the end. I really like this thing!
[quote]
On 2013-08-08 10:54, Mindpro wrote:
Am I correct in getting that this lecture was more magic than mentalism?
[/quote]

I wouldn't say so, and even if it was, the mentalism covered alone is enough to warrant a purchase (even one of the 10 PDFs included warrants a purchase really, never mind the 3 hour 45 minute lecture!)

This has to be one of the best value for money purchases you can make

Devin has some really great stuff, I don't know why people were so against the idea of this lecture in the beginning - I already had a number of the effects performed but I would buy a lecture full of material I already had to see how it is performed differently by the creator and what little touches are there - I learnt a lot from Blindsight for example, which I have had for a number of years
Your personal comments are really cruel. It's easy to say things like that when you personally never post any pictures of yourself or videos of you performing. ANYONE looks weird on camera, but obviously not everyone can have empathy for another person. I know your comments will hurt Devin's feelings an that is too bad. You certainly are not worth anyone's grief.
James
ps
How about post some links to your Facebook page? We would all LOVE a good laugh.

[quote]
On 2013-08-08 09:49, Magicsquared wrote:
I thought this was a great lecture. It was definitely in the top 20% of penguin lectures for me. I appreciate the pace he explained things and the variety of effects he showed.

My "negatives" would be these.

Baby gag: I know it's a classic. But I found the performance/explanation cringeworthy. Michael Jackson jokes? The guy's been in the ground for years. Not that the jokes were inappropriate, just corny at best, hackey at worst. To say they're tired is an insult to narcoleptics. They're comatose.

Blindsight: great trick. But the math in regards to his "improvements" doesn't work out. There's still a chance you won't be able to flash any envelopes regardless of how you pick them up. For ex: if you pick up GRBY and they name RBYG. Its still a great trick.

Devin reminded me of a lot of my dads friends. Older guys who crack jokes and bust themselves up more than the audience. And I say this lovingly. I like those types of guys. I just kind of wish he looked more like what I expect those types of guys to look like. More grandfatherly. He looks like an older guy who stole the hair from someone from Fall Out Boy. Or like he acquired this outfit from a poorly thought-out Hot Topic Formal line of clothes and then he tripped and fell into an old Ringo Starr wig. I think there's a disconnect between his personality and his look. And when these things are incongruous it can throw an audience off. I'd rather his look mirror his personality.

All that said, I think this was a great lecture with a lot of workable material. I found Devin very likable and super generous. I'd love to see him back again.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-08-08 20:38, Xiqual wrote:
Your personal comments are really cruel. It's easy to say things like that when you personally never post any pictures of yourself or videos of you performing. ANYONE looks weird on camera, but obviously not everyone can have empathy for another person. I know your comments will hurt Devin's feelings an that is too bad. You certainly are not worth anyone's grief.
James
ps
How about post some links to your Facebook page? We would all LOVE a good laugh.

[/quote]

oh please, relax. I was very complimentary about Devin. I think his professional attire could use some tweaking. I think it's incongruous with his performance style. most professionals understand their look is something to be cultivated. and in most performing arts these types of considerations ARE worthy of comment and critique. I didn't comment on someone's personal Facebook photos. If you don't understand the difference then we're probably at an impasse. if someone sees me perform in NYC I'm open to their comments on any aspect of my public persona.
Your comments were in no way constructive. Just mean spirited, for a cheap laugh. Like I said, post some pictures or videos of yourself. I would LOVE to see why you think you are so cool.
James

[quote]
On 2013-08-08 21:32, Magicsquared wrote:
[quote]
James
ps

[/quote]

oh please, relax. I was very complimentary about Devin. I think his professional attire could use some tweaking. I think it's incongruous with his performance style. most professionals understand their look is something to be cultivated. and in most performing arts these types of considerations ARE worthy of comment and critique. I didn't comment on someone's personal Facebook photos. If you don't understand the difference then we're probably at an impasse. if someone sees me perform in NYC I'm open to their comments on any aspect of my public persona.
[/quote]
[quote]
James
ps

[/quote]

I actually find these comments MUCH more condescending than magicsquared's. You're suggesting Devin "looks weird" and deserves our "empathy"? That is such a gross attitude. If someone had a comment to make to me I'd much rather they make it like magicsquared did, which seemed like the harsh teasing I might hear from a friend rather than your attitude of defending Devin like he's a special-needs student. Devin's a big boy and can handle the criticism which I think was constructive and valid, even if colorfully phrased.

Getting back to the lecture. This was one of my favorites and had a good mix of material. The added PDFs make this an insane value. Maybe Devin had a chip on his shoulder from some of the comments early on in this thread, but he definitely brought it for this lecture. I hope he is brought back.
[quote]
On 2013-08-09 02:25, Xiqual wrote:
Your comments were in no way constructive. Just mean spirited, for a cheap laugh. Like I said, post some pictures or videos of yourself. I would LOVE to see why you think you are so cool.
James

[quote]
On 2013-08-08 21:32, Magicsquared wrote:
[quote]
James
ps

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I have to agree that I found these comments mean spirited as well. For those of you that know Devin left the Café because of exactly this type of behavior, it only further validates his decision and others who have left. Anyone with a lick of maturity knows that this kind of critique is best left coming from a paid manager or agent, or perhaps a loved one or friend who has been asked for feedback.

Have I noticed that If I were Devin, that I would probably make some changes to my 'look?' Yes. Would I address specific recommendations about his appearance in a public forum? No. However, I might critique his performance or lecture. But I didn't see it, so I have nothing to say about this one.

I just hope he is not reading this stuff.
What was the effect that you liked the most?

Was there any effect that made you want to turn to the dark side? (that's magic for mentalists and mentalism for magicians to avoid complexity)

I really liked to see the tarot fourtold, I had the other two variations (reviewed at my blog too!) and had mostly overlooked this version but now I have the PDF and a great lecture description of it, and maybe even more lucky, an appropriate deck of tarot cards to hand.

Not that I care what he was wearing but don't forget it was a lecture to magicians, he can wear what he wants and look how he wants as long as the material is good. The material was excellent in my view and I thought his shirt was pretty cool.

It was the first time I had seen Devin perform/lecture for more than the demos of his effects and I really thought it was excellent, you can tell how much he cares about his work and that people get the most out of it.

I was also looking for an excuse to include a chess board in a show, great stuff!
My favorite was predictionary. I just loved it.
I don't like most lectures, this was fantatic, a steal of a deal...was not really familiar with DK's work, but I am now! Great stuff!
I had previously purchased a couple of Devin's effects; they are all creative and practical (I think "Balloon Detective" is a great and unusual trick). So I looked forward to the lecture and was not disappointed. As a bonus for me, I did not yet have any of the tricks he taught in the lecture, so this made it one of the best bargains I've come across in a while.

Joe Libby
If you don't already own the effects, this lecture is stunning value for money. The sort of value I thought we'd never see again in the age of the single trick DVD.

Great stuff.
[quote]
On 2013-08-10 09:45, jesse_james_mcguire wrote:
There are no constructive comments on this post.. Olympic Adam...

Here is how this whole thread goes applying to you....

Olympic Adam is a nice guy, BUUUUUUT is a horrible Magician... oh but he's a nice guy......So I can say horrible things about him and his magic..

When there is a constructive critique, and something worth while on this thread I will be less of an A**, but until then I'm just gonna add to the fire.. You suck, Devin sucks, ect ect ect...
[/quote]

There are a lot of great comments in this thread, and because of them I ended up purchasing the lecture. Just because there are others in this thread acting rude, what purpose does it serve for you to come in and act the same way?
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Aug 11, 2013 12:35AM)
@ Robert P..

To Prove a point.

Suck or not... Any Magi is you're brother and deserves to be treated with respect.

So everyone needs to put their egos in check....
Magicians have the worst egos and opinions ever...

I personally like Devin's stuff and have been doing backstage monti for a few yrs now and it's a real laymen and Magician fooler.
You are confusing "empathy" with "sympathy" Joe. Sympathy is feeling sorry for someone, empathy is feeling another person's feelings as if they were your own.
I'm certain you still don't understand.
James

[quote]
On 2013-08-09 02:55, Joe Roberts wrote:
[quote]
James
ps

[/quote]

I actually find these comments MUCH more condescending than magicsquared's. You're suggesting Devin "looks weird" and deserves our "empathy"? That is such a gross attitude. If someone had a comment to make to me I'd much rather they make it like magicsquared did, which seemed like the harsh teasing I might hear from a friend rather than your attitude of defending Devin like he's a special-needs student. Devin's a big boy and can handle the criticism which I think was constructive and valid, even if colorfully phrased.

Getting back to the lecture. This was one of my favorites and had a good mix of material. The added PDFs make this an insane value. Maybe Devin had a chip on his shoulder from some of the comments early on in this thread, but he definitely brought it for this lecture. I hope he is brought back.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 01:35, jesse_james_mcguire wrote:
@ Robert P..

To Prove a point.

Suck or not... Any Magi is you're brother and deserves to be treated with respect.

So everyone needs to put their egos in check....
Magicians have the worst egos and opinions ever...

I personally like Devin's stuff and have been doing backstage monti for a few yrs now and it's a real laymen and Magician fooler.
[/quote]

you spelt your wrong
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Aug 12, 2013 12:16AM)
@ Olympic Adam

Oh my God!,,,,,,,,,,,, NOOOOOOOONOOOOOOeOOOOOOOOOrOOOOOOOOOdOOOOO! The world just came to an end!
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 06:01, Xiqual wrote:
You are confusing "empathy" with "sympathy" Joe. Sympathy is feeling sorry for someone, empathy is feeling another person's feelings as if they were your own.
James

[/quote]

Xiqual, YOU used the word empathy. Not me. I'm quite well aware of what it means. I've only quoted your own usage of it.

I'm going to give you a tip. If someone says, "Your wife looks fat in those jeans." Your response should be, "What? You're insane! She looks amazing!" Your response should NOT be, "Hey... everybody looks fat in jeans. You need to have empathy for her." Because that suggests you agree with the criticism, not that you think it's inaccurate in any way.

All I said was that I'd rather someone take a legit swipe at me (in the midst of a generally positive comment) than have someone "defend" me by encouraging others to have empathy for me "looking weird", because that implies that not only do you agree with the criticism but you think I'm too weak-willed or incapable of handling it. You can backtrack and make this a semantic argument if you want. Your words are quite clear in your original post, but feel free to deflect. Or you can lecture me via PM instead of continuing to bring nothing to the discussion of what was a really great lecture.
______

On a completely different note. My friend found the gimmick for the autobend silverware in a silver/grey color. This allows you to dangle the spoon on your finger pretty freely (keeping it in motion) before it breaks. It looks really good.
Joe,
You still don't know what empathy is obviously.
I used empathy relating to his post about Devin's hair and wardrobe. Anyone can say cruel things that are not true. I know you two are little buddies and you will defend what he said to the end. Magicsquare made cruel and rude comments but you try to say it was me that made them. Typical. It's obvious to all Joe, whatever Magicsquare writes you will defend. I made no comments about Devin except to say he was brilliant.
James

[quote]
On 2013-08-12 01:37, Joe Roberts wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 06:01, Xiqual wrote:
James

[/quote]

Xiqual, YOU used the word empathy. Not me. I'm quite well aware of what it means. I've only quoted your own usage of it.

I'm going to give you a tip. If someone says, "Your wife looks fat in those jeans." Your response should be, "What? You're insane! She looks amazing!" Your response should NOT be, "Hey... everybody looks fat in jeans. You need to have empathy for her." Because that suggests you agree with the criticism, not that you think it's inaccurate in any way.

All I said was that I'd rather someone take a legit swipe at me (in the midst of a generally positive comment) than have someone "defend" me by encouraging others to have empathy for me "looking weird", because that implies that not only do you agree with the criticism but you think I'm too weak-willed or incapable of handling it. You can backtrack and make this a semantic argument if you want. Your words are quite clear in your original post, but feel free to deflect. Or you can lecture me via PM instead of continuing to bring nothing to the discussion of what was a really great lecture.
______

On a completely different note. My friend found the gimmick for the autobend silverware in a silver/grey color. This allows you to dangle the spoon on your finger pretty freely (keeping it in motion) before it breaks. It looks really good.
[/quote]
Went to the printers today to make up the ultimate baby gag. I can't wait to use it!
I was the person that gave Devin the idea for "Deal or no deal" I called it "Beat the box" If you really take a picture of the inside box with a folded card it makes a great impact on the audience. Devin really took the idea to a new level by adding the premonition deck an the mirror stack. Shows what a genius Devin is. I was just using a mene tekel and having them call a card, then cutting the double to the top, placing it on the table, then mercury fold the card and slip it in the box. I also really love all the tips for "Chess gambit". Just totally baffling.
James
I must admit I felt rather uncomfortable during the whole baby gag business. It was as if I was watching some routine from the 70's, before simplistic racial stereotyping became "verboten"! It could be a UK/US thing I guess.
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 21:26, Xiqual wrote:
I was the person that gave Devin the idea for "Deal or no deal" I called it "Beat the box" If you really take a picture of the inside box with a folded card it makes a great impact on the audience. Devin really took the idea to a new level by adding the premonition deck an the mirror stack. Shows what a genius Devin is. I was just using a mene tekel and having them call a card, then cutting the double to the top, placing it on the table, then mercury fold the card and slip it in the box. I also really love all the tips for "Chess gambit". Just totally baffling.
James
[/quote]

James,

As this is an open forum, do you think you have maybe shared a little too much info?

Martin
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 21:27, Martin Pulman wrote:
I must admit I felt rather uncomfortable during the whole baby gag business. It was as if I was watching some routine from the 70's, before simplistic racial stereotyping became "verboten"! It could be a UK/US thing I guess.
[/quote]

Yea I'm in the us and I thought it was funny and didn't find it offensive at all
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 21:44, Magic.Maddy wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Yea I'm in the us and I thought it was funny and didn't find it offensive at all
[/quote]

I only found it offensive in that it was so hackneyed. I actually found his explanation more offensive than the routine. The idea that all babies other than black or white look the same. Really? Indian, Native American, Asian, Hispanic, all can be identified with the same picture? Not quite.

And if you're going to control the selection in the manner he does, I can't imagine why you wouldn't at least punch it up with some jokes from this century.

But that was really just one minor low point of an otherwise excellent lecture.
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 22:13, Magicsquared wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 21:44, Magic.Maddy wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I only found it offensive in that it was so hackneyed. I actually found his explanation more offensive than the routine. The idea that all babies other than black or white look the same. Really? Indian, Native American, Asian, Hispanic, all can be identified with the same picture? Not quite.

And if you're going to control the selection in the manner he does, I can't imagine why you wouldn't at least punch it up with some jokes from this century.

But that was really just one minor low point of an otherwise excellent lecture.
[/quote]

I will admit that I felt slightly uncomfortable during the explanation, but the routine itself is perfectly fine. I've always been a fan of the gag and I will be using it Saturday as an opener (I will be pre showing though for a super clean, no procedure presentation)
In regards to the baby gag, I use it in conjunction with Shawn's T2P,

And it is a picture of a Caucasian baby,

the spectator names lets say ,Denzel Washington ,

And I say

"Amazingly, I have a picture of him in my wallet,

of course its of him when he was a baby,
and white,
I'm sorry I meant no offence, I'm cheap and I only have the one photo"

I feel this phrasing works for any ethnicity ,

I do feel if you had a picture of a African American baby, and they named lets say Mel Gibson,

that I would take my wallet, burn it and become a waiter.
Great idea to use it with T2P.

Just wanted to mention that I used Autobend silverware at a strolling gig last weekend and the reactions were PHENOMINAL.
There is a copy of Devin's "Twin Identity" up for sale right now on The Café for only $18.99 shipped. That is less than half of the normal price. Never used; not even opened!

With all of the excellent reviews of Devin's lecture now in, somebody should snatch that up now!

He will not always be selling these- it is a LIMITED RELEASE, guys!

Get it while you can, or you might be crying about it later!

If only I had no hungry mouths to feed at home..........

I've already purchased several of Devin's products that he's including as free PDF's with this lecture, and I still found this lecture an unbelievable bargin. So much great info. Well done Mr. Knight! And Dan Harlan was, as always, a terrific host.
Indeed. Dan was a gracious and extremely knowledgable foil for Devin. Top marks all round.
Clearly many of you here were VERY satisfied with Devin's lecture. I'm glad.

I still stand firm with my original comments about the lecture I attended a year ago. That one was not so hot. And it was not just the opinion of Bats. As I stated before, those that I asked were not satisfied. Maybe it was the 5 or 6 hours of car travel, and knowing that he had another 6 hour trip back the same night. But you have to perform consistently well no matter what your adversities are.

I see that in the 10 days since the lecture that it has consistently appeared as Number 2 or Number 3 on Penguin's "Top 10" list. WOW is all that I can say!

Despite what I stated 2 weeks ago, every time I read a good review from you guys, I try to convince myself to purchase the lecture. But I'm swamped with bills that need to be paid right now.

I typed the following statement out, then I deleted it because I did not want to stir up a hot pot, but what the heck- I'll type it out again and then hit "Submit" before I change my mind again:

And I'm also trying to figure out if all of you are on the up-and-up. Common knowledge on The Café seems to be that many posters here are name magicians under an alias and others who are interested in generating sales (That couldn't POSSIBLY be, could it? NO WAY!!!), and are deliberately posting good things here to boost sales. I won't state what my opinion of that is.

But I keep thinking about buying the lecture for real.

Haha well 30 years ago I was a name magician and even lectured myself (coin magic was my area) but these days only a few remember my name and I post under the same name that I have always been known as in magic, it's a stage name so technically an alias but it's the name I have always been known as in magic circles (excuse the pun).

I certainly would not consider myself a fan of Devins particularly and certainly have no interest in generating sales. Looking at the list of effects for the lecture the only one that really interested me was predictionary. However I did the 5 for $99 thing to get Ran Pinks Trex and so one of my 5 was Devins lecture. I really enjoyed the lecture and thought that Devin came accross as enthusiastic and entertaining and I definitely feel I got my money's worth out of the lecture. I will certainly use more from this lecture than I expected.

Mark
Well, I did not have anyone in particular in mind when I made that post, Mark, but you are NOT one of those that I would accuse of that when I said that.

Unless you are also posting under another name.....

Anyone here could theoretically be posting under any number of names. I myself only have one and have never had another (although I'm considering just calling myself "Bats" here instead of BatsMagic"), and I have no products to push or friends products to push.

I do remember, about a year ago, that there was a creator here that first posted under his own name about one of his products, then he also posted positive things about his product using two more names that he joined The Café under. It was pretty much proven (to my satisfaction, anyway) by tracing his URL (or whatever it is) back to the same computer. I myself do not know how to do this. But I would if I could!

I have 2 accounts this one and Mark Chandaue with no underscore (my original account but I forgot the PW and had changed email). I always call it as I see it and if I have any interest such as considering the creator a friend or receiving the item for free I will declare it. Take a look at my review of Joshua Quinns lecture to see that I review honestly. I'm a huge fan of Joshua Quinn which I think is evidenced in my posts before the lecture but my review is honest. I can't say whether you would like the lecture but I can certainly say that I enjoyed it and to be honest with all the pdf's I think many people would get their money's worth even if they just took the downloads and didn't watch the lecture.

Mark
Dear Bats,

Personally I have no affiliation with Devin. Like you I saw him live and thought he was a bit lackluster. Even so I took the plunge and purchased his Penguin Lecture. I hoped he had something new and I wasn't disappointed.

I didn't like everything he showed. Devin is more of a 'thinker and tinkerer' rather than a super dynamic performer. That's not a criticism, it's just the way he comes across. He has some good stuff and nice ideas and for me it was $20 well spent. I can't say that for every Penguin lecture I've seen.

If you don't rate Devin as a lecturer then your opinion of him is probably set and I don't think you'll have a 'Devin' epiphany and become a disciple on the basis of his Penguin Live Lecture.

Because I don't know what your magic interests are or your level of expertise and knowledge I can't say if you'll find anything useful in the lecture. All I know is that I did, certainly enough to warrant the $20 price tag.

Try contacting Penguin and express your doubts before you purchase the lecture; see what they say. The lecture is their product after all and you would expect them to stand by their product. Find out if they'll give you a break if you're not entirely satisfied. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say. If you've purchased products or lectures from Penguin before then they'll want to keep you as a happy customer.

Best wishes,
Lar.
I also have no affiliation with Devin. I gave him the idea for "Deal or no Deal" but that was after I had already bought Sanda Panda box. He liked it and changed the instructions to include it in later editions.
James
Lar-

I appreciate your comments above.

I do believe that you made some improvements to "The Crusade" in the supplement, if I am not mistaken (can't remember if it was you since I just woke up and my brain is foggy, but I'm almost certain it was), so I now trust you to a large degree. You are on my radar, which is a good thing to be on.

I'm still "out to lunch" on Devin, but this has been an interesting 7 pages, and I will take your advice to heart! That is one of the positive things about The Café!

And what you've said about Penguin, which I am a regular customer with, is probably on the money!

BatsMagic didn't I send you my extended plumb for Glance? I seem to remember having a pm conversation with you at some point but I sent that pump to a lot of people so I could be mistaken.

And yes Lar's routine for the Crusade is killer.

Mark
Yes you did, Mark!

I'm sure that I thanked you before, but let me publicly thank you again! I love "Glance", and I use your method!

Haha bloody autocorrect I only just noticed that it changed pump to plumb.

Mark
I knew what you meant, Mark, but I did not want to call attention to it!

It's not the worst thing autocorrect has ever done to me lol.

Mark
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 07:11, BatsMagic wrote:
Lar-
I do believe that you made some improvements to "The Crusade" in the supplement, if I am not mistaken (can't remember if it was you since I just woke up and my brain is foggy, but I'm almost certain it was), so I now trust you to a large degree. You are on my radar, which is a good thing to be on.
[/quote]

'Radar' is fine; just so long as you don't get a 'Radar Lock' I'm happy.
I have it on good authority that Devin was the author and main creative consultant for the 80's TV show 'Knight Rider'

It's no coincidence that one of the main characters in the show was called 'Devon'. Devin is far too modest to use the correct spelling of his own name.

When Devin lectured for us I remember he drove a Black Car. I can't remember if Devin's Car talked though.

Best wishes,
Lar.
I just looked at the 3rd trailer of the Devin Knight Lecture and this looks promising... I might have to pick it up...

Junior :)
[quote]
[/quote]

I made one this afternoon too. Pretty easy if you're careful.

Joe Libby
Ventriloquist and Comedy Magician
San Antonio, TX
http://youtu.be/ldQ7JpM86CQ
Uses the baby gag tonight at my gig. The audience LOVED it. I'm talking people were snort-laughing. The reveal of the blak baby had them rolling in the floor. As did the mj jokes. Definitely a winner.
I was impressed with the lecture and it gives me confidence to make up the shoes for Retrogravity since his other works are workable...Retrogravity got a lot of heat but I'm intrigued by it...please PM me if you successfully got it working. Thx
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 16:57, lhookway wrote:
...Devin is far too modest to use the correct spelling of his own name...
[/quote]

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=517985&forum=159&11

Definitely modest. ;)
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 13:45, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Here is the review for each effect as I mentioned earlier. This is the order they appear in the lecture.

AUTOBEND SILVERWARE:
This is a brilliant effect. You hold a spoon at the fingertips and it magically starts to bend upwards. the spectator can even decide which end of the spoon bends. It's very easy to make up (takes about 2 minutes) For me, this is the perfect spoon bend. I've never liked bending silverware, but this really changed my mind. It just looks like real magic. I will use this.
10/10

HOLLOW LIGHT BULB:
This one really fooled me. You take normal, working light bulb, and place it into a paper bag. You then vanish a whole saltshaker of salt. The bulb comes back out of the bag, the bag is turned over to show it empty and the bulb is now full of salt. (The salt gets poured into the paper bag) It's a freaky but awesome illusion. It's simplicity at it's finest. It is very easy to do and Devin even discusses where to go to be able to make your own Hollow light bulb.
7/10

DISSOLVING ACES:
Four aces vanish one at a time from bare hands with no gimmicks and no sticky stuff. This effect is beautiful and not that hard to master. It didn't fool me, but I'm sure that's just because I'm familiar with the method used. To me, this was one of the weaker effects of the lecture, but Devin swears by it and used this effect to book a restaurant gig. He has the experience to show it's power, but in my eyes it's almost "Too perfect."
7/10

THE BABY GAG:
A classic gag where an audience member names any celebrity, and you pull out a photo of them... when they were a baby. Devin ends by actually pulling out a picture of the celebrity. Devin has a lot of work behind this. There are various jokes throughout the routine that I found very funny. It's a very pun-filled routine that I know will bring laughs from the audience. It is a very comical routine, that ends with a killer climax of the actual celebrity. I will use this.
10/10

FARSIGHT:
Ten cards are dealt face up onto the table. The magician turns his back and stands 20 ft away. The spectator selects any card and covers the other cards up with a handkerchief so no one can see the remaining cards. They then turn their selected card face down on top of the hanky and place their hand on top. Even though your back has been turned the whole time, you are able to correctly name the card they chose from 20 ft away. I had already purchased the manuscript ages ago, but I really like the thinking behind this. It's very clever and something that can be done 100% sure-fire. I may use this.
8/10

BACKSTAGE MONTE:
A magician shows three jumbo cards. For instance, a three of hearts, seven of spades, and three of diamonds. He turns the cards facedown to show the Seven has a different colored back, or has a sticker on the back. When the seven is removed, however, it has 'magically' changed to the King of Spades. You then reveal the effect. You show that it is just a flap that the king hides under making it appear to be a seven. You do the trick again now that they know the secret. But this time when you remove the seven, instead of changing to a king, it changes to an Ace of Hearts! A true kicker ending. I immediately made this up with poker sized cards as I watched the lecture. It is a ton of fun to perform. It is very easy to do and it will fool practically any audience that sees it (especially if they are already familiar with the trick.) I will use this.
10/10

BLINDSIGHT:
Four different colored slips go into four different envelopes. The envelopes are completely opaque. A volunteer tries to determine which color is in which envelope. Whatever color they name gets written on the envelope. They then elect one color to set aside. You then show they were perfectly able to determine which color was in which envelope. Not only that, you show that you predicted which envelope they would place aside. This is an absolutely brilliant effect. The method behind this is very simple, but very devious. Devin taught the original Blindsight and then went into his new method which will make the perfect scenario about 90% of the time. This new method adds a lot to the original and takes this from a good effect to a great effect. It looks like the real deal. I will use this.
9/10

PREDICTIONARY:
A manila envelope sits on the table. You ask someone to name ANY word. You say "Wouldn't it be amazing is your word was PRINTED on a piece of paper inside the envelope!?" They of course say it would be. You then pull out a full dictionary from the envelope. A very funny gag. But you then turn to the page their word is on, and there is one word circled with permanent ink. THEIR WORD. They can look on every other page in the book, no other word is circled. You can then sign the book, and let them keep it as a souvenir. This is a very baffling effect with a very funny initial gag. Much like the baby gag, this starts funny and ends amazing. It's extremely easy to do and make up and yet completely fooling. I will use this.
10/10

TAROT SIGHT:
A full deck of 78 tarot cards are shuffled by a spectator. Once mixed, the spectator deals down the top 5 cards while the magician's back is turned, and even could be across the room. 4 people come up and each THINK of one of the tarot cards. They don't select one. They just THINK of one. You then have them concentrate on a few different aspects of the card, and with absolutely no questions asked, you are able to correctly name the card that each person is thinking of! This is based on Devin's "Foretold" effect. He said that some magicians didn't like foretold and thought it was obvious, so he came up with this method. This is a fantastic effect. It seems above and beyond fair and the method used is a devious one, no doubt. That said, I will personally never be able to perform this in one of my shows, sadly, because I live in an area were tarot cards are viewed as witchcraft and people get very uncomfortable if tarot cards get introduced. That said, I don't think it would be much of a problem to use something besides tarot cards and I will be thinking about what I can use. I HOPE to use this.
9/10

PAINT CAN SURPRISE:
A borrowed ring audibly changes places with the ball inside of a spray-paint can. A black ring then gets sprayed onto a piece of card stock with the spray-paint. When the can is shaken now, there is no rattling inside. The card stock gets signed by the spectator and folded into a small tube. Out from the tube falls her ring. When the paper is unrolled, the black spray-painted ring has vanished. I think this is another example of Devin's cleverness. The core idea is very smart and the way you can audible hear the sound change from a ball to a ring is pretty awesome. However, to me, this routine just doesn't really work. Devin tried desperately to make the routine make sense, but I think it is still a little off. I think the lecture would have been perfectly fine without this. I won't be using this.
6/10

SANDA-PANDA BOX:
A gift box is introduced and is said to contain a deck of cards, a $20 bill, and a folded playing card. The game is "Deal or No Deal" If the spectator gets any card except for the folded one, they win the $20. If they get the card that IS folded, they do not win the $20. So they have 51 chances to win and 1 chance to lose. The cards are spread face up and they name any card they see (really!) They hold onto the card and when the box is opened, low and behold, there is a deck,a $20 bill, and a folded playing card. The magician simply takes the lid off. His hands never go near the box after that. The spectator removes the deck of cards and is told to remove the cards from the box, go through the cards, and remove his selected card. If he can remove his card, he wins the $20. The spectator goes through every card. Their selection is not in the deck. They then remove the folded card that is still inside the gift box and it is indeed the freely selected card. This is based off of a very clever principle. The box is 100% normal. It isn't gaffed in any way, and yet you can do TON'S of effects with it. It is a very clean prediction device. The included PDF covers a few effects to use with the box. I will most definitely be looking for a box that meets the needs (shouldn't be too hard.) I want to use this.
9/10

DUMBFOUNDED:
This is an ACAAN plot using two decks. One of which you never touch. No gimmicks or duplicates. When this first came out a while back, I saw the demo and thought "Seriously, Devin? You are selling THIS? It is so obvious, no one would be fooled by that." Yet, I stand corrected. Devin's performance was fantastic in the lecture and the fact that he was shuffling the deck with real shuffles, really fooled me. In the end, it's a pretty good effect. For me though, it will not be going into my plethora of ACAAN effects. I will not use this.
7/10

AROUND THE SQUARE:
A square is cut from a newspaper. When opening the newspaper, the square visibly morphs into a circle. A very visual effect. Devin presents the effect as just described, but he also mentions forcing a circle with esp cards, cutting the square saying you've cut their shape, and then revealing it to be a circle. I really like the simplicty behind this and I think the visual change from square to circle is astounding. Btw, Devin invented this when he was NINE! Woswza! I will be using this.
10/10

Two newspaper articles are shown and numbered. One has a '1' drawn on the front and one has a '2' drawn on the front. Two predictions are handed out from the very start. The papers are held together and the magician has a spectator read the top line of the news, then he clips off a line and has them read the next line, he continues doing this a bit and then starts cutting faster and tells the spectator to stop him. When he stops, the magician brings the other piece to the front and (holding both of the articles together again) begins to clip away from the BOTTOM. Once again, the spectator reads the bottom line as he clips proving that is really is changing. He starts clipping faster, the spectator stops him. He immediately hands both articles out to the two people with the predictions. They read the predictions which may say "The top line of article 1 will read: Firefighters unite to bring" when they read the top line of article 1, it reads exactly that. The other prediction may read "The bottom line of article 2 will read: Cats destroy man's" and when they read the bottom line of article 2, it reads exactly that. There are no switches of the articles or of the predictions. This one fooled me badly. That said, Devin is very honest in the lecture and says "Magicians love this, but laymen find it boring." I have to agree. It is very smart and will fool almost any magician but a lay crowd may find it underwhelming. For that reason alone, I will not be using this. BUT it's still great!
8/10

CHESS GAMBIT:
This is the last effect taught in the lecture. A chess board is sitting on a table. A volunteer is handed a chess book with a slip of paper folded and sticking out of the top. The magicians says "I will not touch the book again, but my wife is a psychic. I gave her a red crayon, she circled one of these chess pieces in the book and then wrote the page number on that slip of paper so we can find it quickly." A spectator joins the magician, blocks the chess board from everyone's view, grabs ANY chess piece, and places it into a paper bag to be hidden from view. The slip of paper is read aloud, the volunteer holding the book turns to that page, names the chess piece that is circled, And when the spectator removes the chess piece from the bag, it is the exact one that the wife circled. They can flick through the book to be sure there are no other marks. And there aren't. This is another BRILLIANT piece. The whole working is just beautifully done. According to Devin, 90% of the time, you will have an absolute miracle on your hands! But even if it doesn't work perfectly, the effect doesn't change at all from the audience's perspective. The spectator can really take any piece and you never see the actual piece until they remove it from the bag. You can use any chess board. I really really like this. I think it's killer. I'm not sure how my audiences would like it, but I definitely want to give it a try. I may use this.
9/10

STREAMLINED KORAN PAPER TEAR:
This is from the lecture notes provided. It's basically a way to force a certain piece of newspaper on someone after you tear the paper up. It is very very clever and if I can find a use for it, I will use it.
10/10

POKER TELLS:
This is from the lecture notes provided. This is the forerunner to Blindsight. It's workings are practically the same, but you use aces instead of colored cards.
8/10

RETRO-SIGHT WORD LIST:
This is from the lecture notes provided. You show a stack of cards with various words on it. You then show how the words are reversed in a mirror. You then take one of the cards, and with a little magic, it now reads correctly in the mirror but its not reversed in person. You then show every other card in the mirror. Each card is reversed in the mirror, yet with a little magic, every card now reads correctly in the mirror! And every card is now reversed in person! No switches of any kind, and the words are only printed on one side! I like this one a LOT. It is very very clever, but it is a little limited as you have to have a mirror to perform. It would be nice to do at a house party or something. I will use this.
10/10

The PDFs provided are: Around the Square, Autobend silverware, baby gag, Blindsight, Chess Gambit, Clip Line Extraordinaire, Dumbfounded, Farsight, Lecture Notes, Tarot Sight

That's all from me. And only took me 2 hours to write XP
[/quote]

I was [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=519699&forum=218&post=8053701 ]one of those skeptical[/url] about the lecture but decided to give it a shot. Now that I have finished viewing it, here is my review. I've quoted Magic.Maddy's review since he gives a great description of each effect (and I'm too lazy to restate them), and it is also a great read that deserves another mention so I will just post the title and my thoughts on each one. Keep in mind though that my rating scale goes from 1-horrible to 10-fantastic with 5 being in the middle, or OK. I like to use the whole scale, so just because you see a “5” doesn't mean the trick is bad.

AUTOBEND SILVERWARE:
Now to give you perspective on where I am coming from, I am not really familiar with metal bending, but I really liked Devin's take on it. What really sparked my interest was the way the spoon bends upward. It goes from making the spoon “melt” at the hinge to now actually causing the spoon to bend in the direction you want, which I think makes a big difference. The added touch afterwards of showing the spoon rubbery (and it not being the rubber pencil illusion) was nice, too.
10/10

HOLLOW LIGHT BULB:
This was neat, but its workings was kind of what I expected. Although it didn't fool me (and I'm not expecting each effect to do so), I think it can play well for other people. Devin mentioned that it is his most famous trick and I certainly don't doubt that, it just doesn't really work for me. And that's OK. To me it is more of an illusion similar to sawing a lady in half, or the dove pan, where it becomes a puzzle to be solved. Some people love that, it's just not my style, though.
5/10

DISSOLVING ACES:
Another disclaimer, I am a card guy. I love good card tricks. Although Devin says this isn't a card trick...it is. But I love it. It might not be a magician fooler but I don't care, I'm not doing magic for magicians. I really liked it and thought it was very visual. Many disappearing objects objects tricks have a little discrepancy on the last vanish or transition to make the magic happen but that is not the case in this one. Each one disappears very cleanly.
9/10

THE BABY GAG:
OK, I disagree with Maddy on this, I thought the baby jokes were pretty cheesy. But the principle behind the effect (Phil Trick by Trevor Duffy and Phil Goldstein) was nicely done. And there was a part in there where Dan Harlan gives a 'shout out' to Phil Goldstein that I thought was awesome. This is my second Penguin lecture, the first where I see Dan as an emcee or host and he was money. I also got to see more of Devin's personality in this one as well. Even though I thought the gags were a bit corny I still found Devin charming. The trick itself is very good and can be modified for anyone to use their own presentation but my rating reflects the whole thing including presentation, which is a big part of this one.
5/10

FARSIGHT:
Although I won't use it there is some smart thinking around this one. It worked the way that I figured it would but I was worried that there would be a lot of memorization involved. Nope, Devin has already addressed that, and in a cool way if I might add. If you like the description provided by Maddy, you will like the effect. Very clean and direct.
7/10

BACKSTAGE MONTE:
Read Maddy's description but I really liked this one. That kicker ending is awesome. I'm already trying to think of ways to incorporate this into my own version, and if I want to tell the audience how it is done (which is in the presentation of this one). Nicely done, Devin.
10/10

BLINDSIGHT:
I agree with Maddy, this is an” absolutely brilliant effect”. This is probably my best effect of the lecture. I thought I knew how it was done, but it still got me. And I loved how Devin told the story about the folks that saw this at Mindvention. It was like I was experiencing it like them, thinking I knew, but then thinking, “wait...how...?!” In the words of Kenny Bania, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qm0KUPeD8 ]“That's gold, Jerry. Gold!!”[/url]
10/10

PREDICTIONARY:
This one had another cute gag, but the thinking behind it is pretty slick. I am just not sure how authentic the gimmick looks. Will have to test it out but this one has a lot of potential.
8/10

TAROT SIGHT:
To quote Maddy: “This is based on Devin's "Foretold" effect. He said that some magicians didn't like foretold and thought it was obvious, so he came up with this method.” I am not familiar with “Foretold” but this seems pretty slick if you do a good job with audience management. But to me, even during the presentation, it seemed like it would be easy for everyone to not follow his direction as intended. It is hard for me to get into it without exposing but how you read the spectator's mind could be a bit tricky.
7/10

PAINT CAN SURPRISE:
Maddy echoes my thoughts with this one, just seemed a bit off and not really a good motivation for why the actions take place. Didn't care for this one.
4/10

SANDA-PANDA BOX:
Maddy makes my job easier because I can just quote him [i]“This is based off of a very clever principle. The box is 100% normal. It isn't gaffed in any way, and yet you can do TONS of effects with it. It is a very clean prediction device.”[/i] That is why I like this one so much. As a magician you are always thinking “switch” but watching this and how the box is opened and the card revealed eliminates that thought. It may just be me but I think laymen assume a switch takes place in many of these types of effects but with this one it is just so clean and simple.
9/10

DUMBFOUNDED:
Devin mentioned that the Café wasn't too fond of this trick. Having not read that thread I had the luxury of going in without any preconceived notions. I thought it was good. My favorites right now are Barrie Richardson's Impromptu ACAAN and the Holy Grail CAAN but if I didn't have those I would consider using this one.
7/10

AROUND THE SQUARE:
Another that falls into the illusion category for me like the hallowed light bulb but I will definitely use this in very informal situations with friends and family. Can't wait to show my daughters and son this one. Very slick and I'm also impressed Devin thought of this when he was so young.
8/10

Good effect but I think this was a case where more was added just to be a magician fooler. Knight has a nice touch of how he uses the numbers on each clip but I think the original Clip Line is better by being more direct.
7/10

CHESS GAMBIT:
I love chess so I was looking forward to this one. I agree with the quoted review, the method is great. Maddy had a great write-up on this one and I can't really add anything. I am interested in preparing this and seeing how well it works out if you don't get the first hit you were planning on. I don't think there will be an issue but I'm curious to see how “it feels”. The method though, so good. The funny thing is I have that Jeremy Silman chess book.
9/10

I haven't read the PDFs yet, but the amount of value you get for this lecture is incredible. I got a feel for Devin's personality and really enjoyed listening to him. His pieces of advice from his performances and the history provided was great. And the questions that Dan asked after the lecture...those I really enjoy because you learn more about the personal side of the performer. Learning that Devin had a magic gig in his high school and had to use his lock-picking skills to break in to set up since the janitor didn’t show up to unlock the building, those kinds of stories I really appreciate. Seeing this makes me really want to see a Harry Lorayne lecture, though. But back to Devin, really great stuff and he seems like a great person. I hope he continues to post on the Café.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
I'm glad many of you loved Predictionary. It is my favorite effect and use it in my tradeshows all the time. I'm the creator and I was very humble to have Devin teach it in his Penguin lecture. Hopefully in the future, we might put a book with updated handlings with Predeictionary. So, please stay tuned! :)
"They" say that success is the best revenge.

I was recently surfing the internet and came across Devin Knight's connection to Al Mann. One thing led to another, and I found that Devin Knight presented a Penguin Live Lecture back in 2013. Based solely on my online meanderings, I decided to purchase his Penguin lecture, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. His thinking is crystalline, and he has a gift for providing clear explanations. Every move and subtlety in all of the effects that he demonstrated are deliberate in their execution and honed over many real-life performances.

I am so happy that my decision to purchase and watch his lecture was untainted by the inexplicable negativity expressed by many in the preceding posts, many of them provided before his lecture even came out.

"Success is the best revenge." Devin Knight's Penguin Live Lecture is currently a 5-star product based on 40 customer reviews. It is so good. Please ignore my emotionally irrelevant droning and rely on those 40 happy customers. Purchase Devin Knight's lecture, view it, and learn a few ingenious methods that you may have never thought of before. Thank you, Mr. Knight.
WELL, I've read this entire thread and no where did I see an answer to this question...I watched Devin's Trick for sale currently on Penguin...STOPPING A CAR WITH YOUR MIND"...and thought now looks pretty great. FIRST a person driving a car has it stall out when the magician yells S T O P ~~..and then the driver -can't start it no matter how many times they try until he puts his hands on the hood, and commands the car to start up..and it does...and it's only 9 bucks...how can you go wrong,,,right??
Tell me if you know anything about his trick,should I buy this? Cheers or Jeers~~~ Thanks in advance
Is there a dvd explanation for this, I prefer dvds to notes, STREAMLINED KORAN PAPER TEAR:
10/10 Please message me, magicwalsh@gmail.com