(Close Window)
Topic: Reading One of Dr. Phil's Books
Went to the book store the other day and saw one of Dr. Phil's books "Life Strategies" so I decided to buy it and I really enjoy reading his book. You can learn a lot from ole Dr. Phil. I like his style of "tell it like it is" as well. Very much a Texan style of doing business. It's a good book and easy to read. I'm about half way through it right now.
I thought he wasn't a real Doctor?
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 06:21, foreva.infiniti wrote:
I thought he wasn't a real Doctor?
[/quote]

From what I read in his book he says he has a Ph. D. So, I guess that would make him a Dr.

Edit: I just check online regarding this question and it appears that he is indeed a real doctor. Got his doctorate in clinical psychology where his dissertation was titled "Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Psychological Intervention." But then again I just read where he retired his license to practice pyschology 2006 given that he now has his own TV show, but it seems he did indeed earned his Ph. D in clinical pyschology.
He does have his PhD so he is legally allowed to call himself a Doctor.
However, he could not legally practice psychological counselling. We learned in my ethics classes that he lost his license to do so after he was accused of having intimate relations with a client and giving her a job where she had access to other patient's records. He failed to comply with what the board wanted him to do to retain his license in Texas so he packed up and moved to California.
There was a complaint filed when he was accused of counselling Britney Spears without a license and breaking confidentiality by revealing her diagnosis. By this time he had his show and so he is able to say he's not counselling, it's "entertainment." His wording is also very careful on the show that it's not "counselling," he's just "giving advice."
Dr. Phil came up as an example of what not to do if you want to keep practicing several times in my ethics classes.
Luckily- I'm experimental, not clinical ;)
I believe the conditions to retain his license after the alleged affair were that he take an ethics class.
Well, even Dr. Phil isn't perfect! His book seems to be pretty good though, despite any of his own past mistakes.
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 16:37, critter wrote:
He does have his PhD so he is legally allowed to call himself a Doctor.
However, he could not legally practice psychological counselling. We learned in my ethics classes that he lost his license to do so after he was accused of having intimate relations with a client and giving her a job where she had access to other patient's records. He failed to comply with what the board wanted him to do to retain his license in Texas so he packed up and moved to California.
There was a complaint filed when he was accused of counselling Britney Spears without a license and breaking confidentiality by revealing her diagnosis. By this time he had his show and so he is able to say he's not counselling, it's "entertainment." His wording is also very careful on the show that it's not "counselling," he's just "giving advice."
Dr. Phil came up as an example of what not to do if you want to keep practicing several times in my ethics classes.
Luckily- I'm experimental, not clinical ;)
[/quote]
Thanks 4 clearing that up 4 me critter
Julius Erving wasn't really a doctor, either, but you could learn a lot just watching him.
I think Dr. Dre had his liscense revoked but I learned a lot from him in the early 90s
Which Dr. Dre?
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 17:22, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Julius Erving wasn't really a doctor, either, but you could learn a lot just watching him.
[/quote]

Doctor Phil is a real doctor. Whatever my personal opinion of the guy, I can't take that away from him.
What are your thoughts on Dr. Pepper?
I prefer Mr. Pibb. Much less pretentious.
Well, glad you at least enjoy the book, General. To me, Dr. Phil is in the same category as "Dr." Oz and Judge Judy. TV personalities first and doctors and judges (questionable doctors and judges at that) second. They are marketed to a gullible daytime viewing audience who value style over substance. You can throw Nancy Grace into the mix too. Don't get me started. :)

Ron
I prefer Dr. Horrible. He has a PhD in horribleness.
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 19:07, R.S. wrote:
Well, glad you at least enjoy the book, General. To me, Dr. Phil is in the same category as "Dr." Oz and Judge Judy. TV personalities first and doctors and judges (questionable doctors and judges at that) second. They are marketed to a gullible daytime viewing audience who value style over substance. You can throw Nancy Grace into the mix too. Don't get me started. :)

Ron
[/quote]

Doesn't matter to me if they are TV personalities or that they are imperfect. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes from time to time. BTW, love Judge Judy, she's awesome! Love her TV show! What matters to me is do what they say or write make sense and provide value? I think in the case of Dr. Phil's book it does provide value. I am at the point in his book where he talks about what drives people's behaviors, no matter how illogical the behavior might seem, are payoffs.

He talked about experiments with rats going through a maze successfully to get the payoff of the rewarded treat/food at the end. If their was no payoff for the rats to get through the maze, the rats wouldn't even bother to get through the maze. Humans are similar in that our behaviors, no matter how irrational or illogical as they might seem are driven by payoffs.

It makes sense to me. He also talks about the importance of taking risk and action but not reckless risk or action. I am big on the idea of taking action and calculated risk but as it turns out, so is Dr. Phil, so long as it is not reckless risk and action. I think Dr. Phil's book will make life better and I am glad I got his book and it's a good read in my opinion. Very easy and interesting read.
That's not exactly correct about the rats. Intermittent reward is supported to be much more effective than constant reward (or punishment.) There doesn't have to always be a reward, just the chance of one. If you like that kind of behavioral psych stuff then B.F. Skinner's work is quite readable. There is a lot I object to in Walden Two though.
[quote]That's not exactly correct about the rats. Intermittent reward is supported to be much more effective than constant reward (or punishment.) There doesn't have to always be a reward, just the chance of one. If you like that kind of behavioral psych stuff then B.F. Skinner's work is quite readable. There is a lot I object to in Walden Two though.[/quote]

Ahh, I just like to read a book that is down to earth and practicle to help me improve my life. I am not interested in being a pyschologist, though I like to listen to a pyschologist who is down to earth and can break things down at a level that lay people such as myself can understand, find practical and apply to everyday life to make life better and actually works.
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 18:06, Andrew Zuber wrote:
What are your thoughts on Dr. Pepper?
[/quote]
23 flavors but all I taste is 1!
Ah, then there's one of my favorite Mets pitchers, Doctor K. Too bad he became his own patient. What a waste of raw talent.
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 20:00, critter wrote:
Intermittent reward is supported to be much more effective than constant reward
[/quote]

Vegas, baby! Vegas!
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 17:49, critter wrote:
Which Dr. Dre?
[/quote]
I only know of 1. There's a Dr. Drew though he was a famous Dr. like a half century ago or something but the 1 I'm talking about is responsible 4 the national emergence of Slim Shady...
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 21:17, Bob1Dog wrote:
Ah, then there's one of my favorite Mets pitchers, Doctor K. Too bad he became his own patient. What a waste of raw talent.
[/quote]
There's a Dr. K that's a generic brand (Kroger) 2 Dr. Pepper. It tastes just the same but you get a 24 case for less than 5. It's higher here in Mi though because of the whole 10 cent deposit thing. So that's less than 20 cents a pop compared 2 the 69/79 cent 12oz Dr. Pepper. Man remember the day when name brands sodas only costed 50 cents? Seems so long ago!
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 21:35, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 20:00, critter wrote:
Intermittent reward is supported to be much more effective than constant reward
[/quote]

Vegas, baby! Vegas!
[/quote]

Right!