(Close Window)
Topic: This thread is for you to flaunt your eccentricities!
I love to sleep in the car! Really...

I love to watch inspirational videos and baby laughing videos on Youtube for hours on end... (I know, explains a lot...:ohyes:)

A few more I'll share later... ;)

What are your eccentricities?

Come on, those stuff that makes other people tell you you're weird. But you couldn't care less... :P

Be proud of strangeness here! :banana:
I love professional wrestling.
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 13:26, mastermindreader wrote:
[/quote]

:applause:

Would not have guessed that about you, Bob... ;)

Everyone else?

I know you wanna share... :ohyes:
Wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks to my OCD I don't like to touch public doorknobs, the television or radio volume must be set to an even number or I have a fullblown panic attack, and lots of other things. Imagine if Howard Hughes didn't have all that money and that's pretty much where I'm sitting right now ;)
I recently wrote of some benefits of OCD, one of which is that when I really get a problem in my head my mind doesn't stop working on it until every detail is perfect.
I always touch the outside side of an airplane, to the right of the door, when I'm boarding. A bit silly since I'm a pilot but it's a thing I have to do before I can get on (and I only do it on airliners, but I've never had that issue when it's a plane I'm personally flying.)
I've got my OCD quite well "managed" myself; I still try to avoid directly touching public doors, etc, and remain hyper aware of any part of me that does touch them, or similar.

I'm a huge comic book geek, among other things.

There's the obvious; I'm a philosophical anarchist, and border line pacifist.

I've been in judo since I was 3; it's a family sport. We actually lived in Japan for a while when I was 8, for my father to train.
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 13:58, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I always touch the outside side of an airplane, to the right of the door, when I'm boarding. A bit silly since I'm a pilot but it's a thing I have to do before I can get on (and I only do it on airliners, but I've never had that issue when it's a plane I'm personally flying.)
[/quote]

I do the same thing! And I have no idea why. I've just always thought it was a good idea for some reason.
I walk around barefoot almost everywhere!
I talk to myself a lot when I'm alone, and in a very wide variety of characters and voices.
[quote]
[/quote]
That's amazing! I do the same thing! Have been doing it since the late seventies! Only instead of touching it, I gently knock with my right index and forefingers to the right of the entrance as boarding the plane. It's kinda like an OCD thing for sure.

Speaking of airplanes, I always look at my watch at the beginning of the takeoff roll to the instant of liftoff, counting the seconds. If it goes beyond forty seconds, I get nervous.
When we say "eccentric," what exactly are we talking about?
I always factorize (or at least attempt to factorize) numbers I see. I often consider what words I see spell backwards. (Not when I'm really reading something... or heaven forbid, writing something. But if I see a street sign or a short sentence, almost always.)

I almost always wear sweatpants and t-shirts when I can. I used to work at kind of big, stuffy law firms. I reigned my desire to wear sweatpants and t-shirts in while I worked there. But now I work for a small firm. Occasionally I go back to the large firms for social functions or seminars. I almost always wear sweatpants and a t-shirt. I wore sweatpants and t-shirts exclusively (... not almost exclusively; I mean EXCLUSIVELY) from about 5th grade up through my second year of graduate school. I didn't cut my hair for approximately that amount of time.

I typically only sleep 2-3 hours at a time, but 2-3 times a day. Every so often I'll stay up for 24 or 48 hours, after which I'll sleep for 14-18 hours straight.

I also reflexively mimic sounds I hear around me. Cars honking, ring tones, door chimes, etc. Not always, but it's a pretty strong reflex.

Despite all this, my wife is shockingly normal. Like... dead center normal. She even met me when I was a long hair, sweatpants wearing, vagrant mathematician.

In many social circles, carrying around a deck of cards is considered an eccentricity. Does that fly here? :)
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 14:26, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I do the same thing! And I have no idea why. I've just always thought it was a good idea for some reason.
[/quote]
Yikes! Three of us!
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 14:48, Bob1Dog wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 14:26, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yikes! Three of us!
[/quote]
I was going to say maybe it's some kind of Seattle thing between Bob Cassidy and I but you're a New Yorker, aren't you? So now I don't know WHAT to think.
Native New Yorker but living in Delaware now. But definitely east coast, yes. As to what to think? I think I said it pretty well above. YIKES!
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 13:50, critter wrote:
Wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks to my OCD I don't like to touch public doorknobs, the television or radio volume must be set to an even number or I have a fullblown panic attack, and lots of other things. Imagine if Howard Hughes didn't have all that money and that's pretty much where I'm sitting right now ;)
I recently wrote of some benefits of OCD, one of which is that when I really get a problem in my head my mind doesn't stop working on it until every detail is perfect.
[/quote]

I know what you're going through bro, I suffer from OCD too...

And my attention to detail couldn't overlook your statement, critter...

"I recently wrote of some benefits of OCD, one of which is that when I really get a problem in my head my mind doesn't stop working on it until every detail is perfect."

Until every detail of the problem is perfect?

I'm sure you mean every detail of the solution is perfect, right?

Forgive me. Blame it on the OCD. ;)
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 14:48, Pop Haydn wrote:
When we say "eccentric," what exactly are we talking about?
[/quote]

Whatever about you that you think is eccentric. ;)
Kind of both. I have to have the most efficient course set and think of possible variations that could come up in the problem to have contingencies for in alternate solutions.
Now, this doesn't mean I'm always a perfectionist, just when something is stressing me in any way.
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 15:08, Bob1Dog wrote:
Native New Yorker but living in Delaware now. But definitely east coast, yes. As to what to think? I think I said it pretty well above. YIKES!
[/quote]
Well people can mock us if they choose but I can count the number of plane crashes I've been in on using zero fingers ;)
I don't know why they never let me bring my own parachute ;)
I think most people here know of my unusual hobbies, and some share them. I've been doing Highland Games Heavy Athletics for a few years. This is the first year I took off because I'm just too busy with grad school. I did Renaissance Faires for 15 years. Used to bend wrenches & roll-up frying pans for fun.
I've worked on a ranch, at a cemetery, and for a nonprofit paranormal investigations group.
My Dad was both a UDT and a SEAL in the Navy, which I think is awesome.
For several years I wouldn't drink anything that wasn't blue. Blue Nehi, blue Kool-Aid, it just had to be blue.
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 16:43, Andrew Zuber wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 15:08, Bob1Dog wrote:
[/quote]
Well people can mock us if they choose but I can count the number of plane crashes I've been in on using zero fingers ;)
[/quote]
Me too! :)
I used to have an uncontrollable need to correct people's grammar
Until one day I realized how annoying it is so as much as it kills me to hear the English language get murdered I stay polite and quiet . There are other things but I'll just ride with that one.
I eat hamburgers upside down, the burger not me.
I always feel safer carrying a bomb with me on the plane. I just think the odds of there being two bombs on the same plane would be just too great...
Step on a crack, break your mother's back; step on a crack, break your............you get the idea.

Just kiddin', couldn't help myself.
I don't have any although my wife would probably disagree!
You [b][i]KNOW[/b][/i] you're not being honest here, don't you! :)
Besides the whole "being barefoot" thing, I also collect Wizard of Oz memorabilia.

Not sure if that technically counts as eccentric but it is certainly unconventional.
I collect old lightbulbs! That still work. I have about thirty of them, some have a Mazda label like this one.....

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/edison-mazda-light-bulb
Whenever I board a plane I have to clean that spot on the outside of the plane to the right of the door that everybody touches.

Ron
I wear sunglasses everywhere.
I have an aversion to tattoos. I really hate even getting my hand stamped when I go to a club. I broke up with a girl once because I couldn't get over her tattoo.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 12:24, Slide wrote:
I have an aversion to tattoos. I really hate even getting my hand stamped when I go to a club. I broke up with a girl once because I couldn't get over her tattoo.
[/quote]

I guess I can trust you alone with my girlfriend, then. She has sixteen tattoos to my measly three.
I asked my daughter if I have eccentricities. She laughed and offered.

1. I stick out my tongue when I play guitar.
2. I talk to myself non-stop "it's like a running commentary on whatever you are doing".

Like Mobility Bundle, I am always looking for the prime factors of numbers I encounter. Apparently, I keep that mostly to myself.

John
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 12:37, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I guess I can trust you alone with my girlfriend, then. She has sixteen tattoos to my measly three.
[/quote]
I read this too quickly and thought it said that your girlfriend was 16, which would lead to a whole other conversation.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 14:55, Andrew Zuber wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 12:37, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I read this too quickly and thought it said that your girlfriend was 16, which would lead to a whole other conversation.
[/quote]

Plus we just identified one of your eccentricities. Skimming.
I sailed two oceans, three seas, and I passed through two canals but I never got a single tattoo.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 20:49, Al Angello wrote:
I sailed two oceans, three seas, and I passed through two canals but I never got a single tattoo.
[/quote]

There's still time!
I'm not superstitious, but hate when the gas pump ends within $13 range. Will stop before hand if getting close to full or squeeze s bit more in to edge it into $14 range.
Lobo
There will be no tattoo's for me. I'm diabetic and if I push my luck the big boss might force me to get a real job. She only weigh 90 lbs, but she scares the he** out of me.

I'm a kids magician, and mom's like their kiddie magicians to look clean cut.
I am no guppy. I have crossed the equator seven times, and shipped to countries all around the world on cruise ships for fifteen years. I never got a tattoo until I was sixty. Now I have two lovely tats on my forearms. They are both nautical tattoos from the 1850's-60's.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 22:12, Pop Haydn wrote:
I am no guppy. I have crossed the equator seven times, and shipped to countries all around the world on cruise ships for fifteen years. I never got a tattoo until I was sixty. Now I have two lovely tats on my forearms. They are both nautical tattoos from the 1850's-60's.
[/quote]

Were these to support your character?
I'd had over 45 different jobs before the age of 35, would quit when offered (or threatened with) any promotion. I write best between midnight and 3AM. I talk to myself...and answer myself. I am very shy among peers, knowing they are much more experienced than I. athe thought of sitting for a more formal dinner terrifies me. Behind a mask, character or puppet, I am a different personality. I have a slight ability to know what colors feel like, what taste colors are and what texture odors are. I seem to be very sensitive to the tells of selfish or shallow people. I'm very comfortable living very cheaply, and have a genetic propensity to being a hoarder, but missed it by THISSSS MUCH!...got a few in the family, luckily I'm just a collector. I'll OCD a subject and study/collect it till I KNOW it...wanna buy a book test??? CT???

That'll do for now. I also make lists.
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 22:34, frankvomit wrote:
I used to have an uncontrollable need to correct people's grammar
Until one day I realized how annoying it is so as much as it kills me to hear the English language get murdered I stay polite and quiet . There are other things but I'll just ride with that one.
[/quote]
I don't do this any more, but in high school I had my own grammar-related eccentricity:

It really bugged me when people used adjectives instead of adverbs. ("Yeah, he cooks real good.") So in equal parts protest, joke, and effort to right the cosmic imbalance, for a while I used adverbs instead of adjectives. Like, "Wine is nicely with dinner, but on a hotly day, I prefer coldly beer."
Here's one that reared its head tonight at dinner!

Sometimes I go to great effort to achieve symmetry (to various degrees of abstraction), especially when I think it will expose someone's underlying hypocrisy. Two examples:

1. In college, there were always tons of people on campus handing out flyers for stuff. A lot of those people were really aggressive in terms of getting you to take a flyer. Even if you were just going to throw it away, they really didn't let you go without taking one. So one day, I decided I'd take the first flyer, and then try to give it to the next person who handed one to me (thereby achieving flyer-handing-out symmetry).

I also found it funny that, as aggressive as people were about handing them out, very few people wanted to take them (thus revealing some degree of hypocrisy). I would be just as aggressive with them as they were with me. Sometimes they'd take them, sometimes not... but I always got a kick out of it. Still do.

2. Along the same lines, if someone stopped me for something that I thought would be a waste of time, I'd often preemptively try to waste theirs. This happened tonight at dinner: right now, I'm in Rome. At restaurants, these guys make the rounds and sell roses. Especially if they see a couple on a date -- they go right to those tables first.

I have no problem with that; folks got to earn a living any way they can. The annoying part is that they really don't take no for an answer. You say "no," then they just stay there, asking if you want to buy a rose. Even if my wife says no, or if we both say no -- however unequivocally, or even rudely -- they just keep trying for a long LONG time.

So tonight, when a rose guy came up, I said: "No, do you want to see a card trick?" and fanned out some cards. "Go on, pick a card! Pick one!" So he picks one, and I do something quick and simple... say, lose it in the deck, find it via hot shot cut. Then, really urgently, I say "Okay, another one! Let me show you another one!" And then I do something slightly longer. Then another one! The tricks keep getting slightly longer, until the guys starts to get fidgety because now I'm wasting HIS time. But I won't let them go. Another trick! One more trick!

I get a huge kick out of it, and thankfully so does my wife. :)

I do the same thing to folks who stop me on the street to talk to me about their religion or political candidate.
The first thing I do each day on arising is tend to the bladder, (sorry if that's too much information) then immediately weigh myself in my skivvies. Body weight is body weight. It's something that drives me crazy at doctor's offices. They weigh you with all your clothes on! Depending on your clothing you might have 7 extra pounds!

If I forget to weigh myself first thing, and get sidetracked to other wakeup necessities, including getting dressed, I invariably remember that I forgot to weigh myself. I undress and then weigh myself. Then I put my clothes back on. Body weight is body weight!

I watch my weight so closely because the older I get the harder it is to maintain and/or lose weight. It's a daily struggle. When I was younger I could easily lose five pounds in a week. Not so anymore. And then there's OCD. :)
I have this left-over habit from when I was learning to fly umpteen years ago and memorizing the phonetic alphabet... I look at license plates and sound them out: Alpha Fox November or whatever. Doesn't happen all the time, but I catch myself at it now and then and wonder why I'm still doing it.

I also count things... silly things... spokes on hubcaps, lampposts on bridges or overpasses, stuff that's all in a row or a circle, like I have to figure out why it was designed that way. Just now, we're in a hotel room, and I caught myself counting the vertical trim pieces on the headboard (five). Don't have a clue why, and I'm getting myself out of it, but you asked.
[quote]
On 2013-08-17 01:06, George Ledo wrote:
I have this left-over habit from when I was learning to fly umpteen years ago and memorizing the phonetic alphabet... I look at license plates and sound them out: Alpha Fox November or whatever. Doesn't happen all the time, but I catch myself at it now and then and wonder why I'm still doing it.

[/quote]
My left-over habit from my military service is also the phonetic alphabet and it serves me quite well today as my hearing is declining in my years. I use it frequently on the phone and it drives me nuts when someone on the other end says Mary instead of Mike, or Frank instead of Foxtrot.

Then, there's the ten series radio codes!
I am also a boarder-line hoarder. I collect "things" that I feel might one day be useful. I am crowded and cluttered, but I am not filthy... I don't have piles of garbage and I have a pest control service, so no vermin.

I have a nearly photographic memory for object position. This comes in handy when you have as much crap as I do.

I also have willy shivering arachnophobia. I am very afraid of spiders, but no other animals that I know of.
[quote]
[/quote]

Can believe that you look like you could be a pro wrestler character. .....and....not in a you look like a big fat hairy biker kind of way......
I'm obsessive about checking locked doors and car headlights (making sure they are off).
I'm fascinated with anything macabre.
I collect figure kits (monsters, etc.), restraints/locks and Iron Maiden memorabilia (the device, not the band).
I'm a walking encyclopedia of horror films from the dawn of film to the mid-1970's.
I'm acrophobic, and am wary of strangers and authority figures.
I read pulp hero novels.
My biggest pet peeve is a narcissist mystery performer trying to foist his 'line' on his fellow performers as if they are all 'rubes.'
I'm a confirmed cynic.
I like people to fear that I am a madman.
A little OCD is probably a benefit to a magician.
[quote]
On 2013-08-17 12:33, dave_matkin wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Can believe that you look like you could be a pro wrestler character. .....and....not in a you look like a big fat hairy biker kind of way......
[/quote]

That was actually once a dream of mine. I wrestled in high school and college, but finally realized that I just wasn't big enough or heavy enough to ever hope to go pro. (I think I would have made a badass manager or announcer, though. :eek:)
I am amazed at how quick we are to openly admit our personal little quirks here.

Perhaps that, in and of itself, is a quirk that we mystery workers share too.
I was actually surprised there were so many people with OCD on this forum. I wonder if there is a higher than average propensity towards OCD within the magic community, after all, it is a rather obsessive hobby, makes sense.

It also explains why people will go to the ends of the earth defending their position here, regardless of its merit.
My buddy Chris McDaniels just got a cowgirl twirling a lasso on his shoulder, and I'm beginning to get jealous of Chris and Pop, because at our age we will die before they blur. LOL
[quote]
On 2013-08-18 13:05, Slide wrote:
I was actually surprised there were so many people with OCD on this forum. I wonder if there is a higher than average propensity towards OCD within the magic community, after all, it is a rather obsessive hobby, makes sense.

It also explains why people will go to the ends of the earth defending their position here, regardless of its merit.
[/quote]
Interesting; very interesting.
Perhaps my biggest eccentricity is continuing to read, and post, in Not Very Magical...
I have juggled for about an hour a day for the past 32 years, with only a brief pause for open heart surgery, and I know nothing about eccentricities, I am totally dedicated, and obsessed. In fact I juggled for the first three or four years before I found out that you can make money juggling. I learned my first magic trick to compliment my juggling act. I call myself a magician these days because I'm old, but the magic is just a cover up for my juggling obsession.
My learning magic was just a side-effect to learning escapology.
[quote]
On 2013-08-18 13:05, Slide wrote:

[/quote]

OCD is a bit like Asperger's Syndrome in that most of what you hear is self-diagnosis. Not sure why it's appealing to bestow either of these on yourself, but it's become very common.
I haven't bestowed it upon myself; I was diagnosed in 1988 and I'll leave it at that.
[quote]
On 2013-08-18 13:57, Al Angello wrote:
I have juggled for about an hour a day for the past 32 years, with only a brief pause for open heart surgery, and I know nothing about eccentricities, I am totally dedicated, and obsessed. In fact I juggled for the first three or four years before I found out that you can make money juggling. I learned my first magic trick to compliment my juggling act. I call myself a magician these days because I'm old, but the magic is just a cover up for my juggling obsession.
[/quote]

Juggler here as well...is it eccentric to play with your balls in public?
[quote]
On 2013-08-18 23:11, imgic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-18 13:57, Al Angello wrote:
[/quote]

Juggler here as well...is it eccentric to play with your balls in public?
[/quote]

As opposed to playing with other people's balls in public? :P