(Close Window)
Topic: What magician would you be afraid to fight?
If you could get any magician in the ring for 3 rounds of fist to fist action, who would you NOT want to fight?
Ok I'll play..... Dani Ortiz
Gary jones ex specel forces
The Great Tomsoni
Dynamo. I'd find it too hard to stop myself after the bell had sounded.
I can hear Dani now..."Do you want one or two punches? maybe more? maybe less...doesn't matter to me"
Zuke, I think some people could say the same thing about Justin Miller.
I love a good fight like the next guy but I don't think I would mess with Morgan Strebler... I hear the guy is training for MMA... I'd love to fight the masked magician tho...

Junior :)
None
I would take on Derren Brown's one inch punch with my 1.5 cm...
David Zirbel! Why? Guinness Book of world records: David Zirbel is the tallest magical entertainer of the world....6 feet 9 inches tall. I´am only 5 feet 8 inches. Maybe my hand could not even reach his face. Unless I levitate myself ;-)
Penn
Greg Wilson
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 18:28, Zuke wrote:
Dynamo. I'd find it too hard to stop myself after the bell had sounded.
[/quote]

They should add a LIKE button. For this comment alone.
Merlin :)
Great call on Penn...he looks like he could be a bad dude if he needed to be.
Sorry, but I just have to ask; this has to do with the [b]Latest and Greatest[/b] just how?
Perhaps this should be moved to: [b] Not very magical, still...[/b]

Other than that, at my age, I seriously doubt that I would more than likely trip over the ropes while attempting to get into the ring. That, and aside from the fact, that I've admittedly become a total fighting woosss after 1966 & '67. ;)
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 18:31, S-Branham wrote:
I can hear Dani now..."Do you want one or two punches? maybe more? maybe less...doesn't matter to me"
[/quote]

Hysterical. My vote would be for Penn.
Magicians in their prime ,

Dai Vernon( scrappy, possible biter)

Doug Henning ( afraid he really would kick my a%$)

And Muhammed Ali ( no smart aleck comment necessary )
Penn looks like he could be a bad #ss dude
if he needed to be.
Anybody see the size of Jason England? He gets my vote
None. Why be afraid? You might lose but still no reason to be afraid.
Message: Posted by: The Great Stevini (Aug 15, 2013 08:48PM)
TC Tahoe
Thom Peterson-Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu 7th Dan!
Criss Angel lol
You would have to battle his crew/stooges/bought participants!

And,why is this posted in 'Latest and Greatest'?

And,why did I post on it ???
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 18:33, S-Branham wrote:
Zuke, I think some people could say the same thing about Justin Miller.
[/quote]

lol...bring it!
JM
Harry Potter
Can you imagine fighting Apollo Robins... after 1 swing he'll have your watch, wallet & cell phone and stop you in the middle of it all to say "now the coin is on your shoulder"....

Junior :)
Rincewind, he'd run but the luggage would 'av ya!
I saw a clip of Chris Angel doing some tricks for Georges St Pierre, the great UFC welterweight champion. After doing tricks, they went and took turns seeing who could punch the metered punching bag harder. Surprise, Chris Angel outpunched GSP. GSP laughed and said he'd just take Angel down and ground and pound him. I think I could do the same.
Ali in his prime although I don't think he got into magic till later in life.
Penn looks like a bad dude- wouldn't want to mess with him. I'd take Teller though.
I could hit a metered bag 300 lbs when I was 16, and I only weighed 165.
My stepfather could only hit 190 lbs, and he is 6' 2" and 260 lb, and a trained cop; at the time.

I asked why I could hit it harder. He said, "It is all technique".

So I wouldn't take the GSP thing too seriously.
The wind-up for a punch like that is useless in a real fight, unless you are a boxer throwing them regularly. (MMA does not hit like that.)
(But it is good for winning 6' tall stuffed animals at Six Flags. ;) )

To which... I have no answer to the proposed question. Myself? (I can be pretty hard on myself, lol).

At the final Tomsoni and Company show at ML, Penn said, "This is the best magic act in the world. NO. It is the BEST ACT in the world. And if you don't like it I will kick all of your a**es."

No one laughed or said anything. (It's Tomsoni & Co.)
Some like to talk big, others like to cut your brakes ;)

LokI
Wait... Ali did magic?

Or was it just his twinkle toes? ;)
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 02:40, lokikross wrote:
Wait... Ali did magic?

Or was it just his twinkle toes? ;)
[/quote]

Muhammed Ali did in fact do magic. It was a great love of his. Friends who worked at Tannen's in those days remember how Ali would come with his entourage and talk and watch and occasionally do magic. From what I hear, he was a pretty good student. I would have to do some searching but I remember discovering an article on Ali and his love for magic.
Ali did PN for me at his old training camp in Reading, PA.
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 20:11, gaffed wrote:
Sorry, but I just have to ask; this has to do with the [b]Latest and Greatest[/b] just how?
Perhaps this should be moved to: [b] Not very magical, still...[/b]

Other than that, at my age, I seriously doubt that I would more than likely trip over the ropes while attempting to get into the ring. That, and aside from the fact, that I've admittedly become a total fighting woosss after 1966 & '67. ;)
[/quote]

I think you hit the wrong button this is not very magical still.
I would be very afraid of Michael Ammar because he might "cast a shadow over the ring, like so." Also, in his competitive fury he might forget to allow me to inspect his gloves to be absolutely sure that he has no trap doors or mirrors in them.
I'd say Roy from Sigfried and Roy. As flaming as he might be and as small as be may appear I figure anyone that could survive a Tiger attack and still work with them as the stern master is probably someone you don't want to mess with.
Don't think I could stand to fight a magician - his/her patter would be way too irritating.

After every punch thrown my direction I would hear, "Is that fair? Is that fair? Is that..." Arrrgh!
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 01:50, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
I saw a clip of Chris Angel doing some tricks for Georges St Pierre, the great UFC welterweight champion. After doing tricks, they went and took turns seeing who could punch the metered punching bag harder. Surprise, Chris Angel outpunched GSP. GSP laughed and said he'd just take Angel down and ground and pound him. I think I could do the same.
Ali in his prime although I don't think he got into magic till later in life.
Penn looks like a bad dude- wouldn't want to mess with him. I'd take Teller though.
[/quote]

Had to be another camera trick...
Camera trick ? Chris angel ? Nah.
On yeah- wouldn't want to fight Greg Wilson. Urban Ninja.

And a hell of a nice guy.
Jon Dorenbos.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 11:12, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Jon Dorenbos.
[/quote]

If you had too now would probably be a good time, he suffered a concussion a few days ago and was carted off the field.
[quote]On 2013-08-16 01:50, jcrabtree2007 wrote:

...Ali in his prime although I don't think he got into magic till later in life.[/quote]

If you watch the documentary "When We Were Kings," you can see Ali doing magic for children in Zaire prior to the legendary "Rumble in the Jungle" with George Foreman. I'd say he was still in his prime.

So I guess he qualifies, no surprise, as the greatest magician heavyweight champion of all time.
I stole Ali's watch twice, once at his table at Balboa's Magic Island, and once at a private party. He loves magic. He made me watch him do a color-changing silk, and then explained the whole thing to everyone at the table, showing the little dye tube and everything--he loved to do tricks, but felt his religion required him to not "fool" anybody.

He is a very nice, very kind man. I wouldn't want to fight him:

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

Muhammad Ali
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 12:20, mastermindreader wrote:

So I guess he qualifies, no surprise, as the greatest magician heavyweight champion of all time.
[/quote]

I don't know, Mike Tyson made 400 million dollars disappear without a trace.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 11:03, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
On yeah- wouldn't want to fight Greg Wilson. Urban Ninja.

And a hell of a nice guy.
[/quote]

I think it's awesome we have a lot bad ass magicians. The best fighters I ever ran across are the nicest people. They never act tough or big and bad and the ones I have ran across in real life are totally and completely under-estimated yet they are vicious vicious in a fight and you wouldn't want to tangle with them! You would never know they were complete bad asses. That's the thing and mistake most people make, is that they under-estimate others.

You get into a fight with somebody you never know what's going to happen or what you are getting yourself into or what you are up against. I would refer to Sun Tzu's rule of win without fighting and if you absolutely had to fight the second rule I would refer to is "know yourself and know your enemy." All too often people get into a fight without knowing themselves or what they are up against. Know what you are up against and their strong and weak points and it's better to outsmart rather than outfight your opponent.
Houdini.

I'd be fighting a ghost. :ohyes:
Angela Funovits. Wouldn't mind taking a few slaps from her, though.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 13:08, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
[/quote]

I'd protect myself from her using grappling techniques. :ohyes:
Ali is the Greatest
There is too much fighting in the world. That said, why the fear of Penn?! It's Teller that is the real danger. :)
[quote]There is too much fighting in the world. [/quote]

I agree Vlad. It's like there is this dominant mentality in the world that might is right and something to be admired and worshiped. Might makes right mentality brought a lot of untold un-necessary suffering throughout history and in the end, didn't really solve anything. Ultimately it's the true genuine article of justice that solves problems in the long term and not might itself. It's the sort of mentality that led to the outbreak of World War I and World War II and the lack of justice in the aftermath of World War I assured that their would be a World War II as well. This is just an example of what I am talking about.
In his prime, Jonathan Pendragon.

Actually, with the shape I'm in, everyone.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 13:08, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
[/quote]

I would take a DIVE,for Angela!
Gazzo and Ricki Dunn both boxers.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 14:03, General_Magician wrote:
[quote]There is too much fighting in the world. [/quote]

I agree Vlad. It's like there is this dominant mentality in the world that might is right and something to be admired and worshiped. Might makes right mentality brought a lot of untold un-necessary suffering throughout history and in the end, didn't really solve anything. Ultimately it's the true genuine article of justice that solves problems in the long term and not might itself. It's the sort of mentality that led to the outbreak of World War I and World War II and the lack of justice in the aftermath of World War I assured that their would be a World War II as well. This is just an example of what I am talking about.
[/quote]

Hi General_Magician,

I am reading a book titled To End All Wars and it is one of the most gripping accounts of the First World War I have read. I think you would like the book. The author's name is Adam Hochschild. I am one of those Americans who seem to be in the minority that has been arguing that America should have a World War I monument. Though America was only involved in war for one year, the casualty rate was very high and a number of sources have asserted that if America had been involved for the whole war, 1914-1918, the casualty rate for Americans would have been as high as British or French - or German.

Hochschild's book is especially amazing because it focuses on a few of the major players in both the pro and anti-war camps. And I agree that the intransigence of the French in refusing to allow an easing of war reparations was a direct cause of the Second World War. I should hasten to add in case anyone should misunderstand that I am not in any way, shape, or form, condoning the actions of Adolf Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito.

Best,
Vlad
[quote]Hi General_Magician,

I am reading a book titled To End All Wars and it is one of the most gripping accounts of the First World War I have read. I think you would like the book. The author's name is Adam Hochschild. I am one of those Americans who seem to be in the minority that has been arguing that America should have a World War I monument. Though America was only involved in war for one year, the casualty rate was very high and a number of sources have asserted that if America had been involved for the whole war, 1914-1918, the casualty rate for Americans would have been as high as British or French - or German.

Hochschild's book is especially amazing because it focuses on a few of the major players in both the pro and anti-war camps. And I agree that the intransigence of the French in refusing to allow an easing of war reparations was a direct cause of the Second World War. I should hasten to add in case anyone should misunderstand that I am not in any way, shape, or form, condoning the actions of Adolf Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito.

Best,
Vlad [/quote]

Ohh yeah, no doubt. The casualty rate for the European powers in World War I was astronomical and I am sure we would have suffered the same casualty rate had we been involved from the get go. Even for 1 year of war, the casualty rate for our side was staggering but not near what the European powers suffered. Hitler was a mad man but it was the Treaty of Versailles that helped to create the vacuum for somebody like Hitler to come to power. After Hilter exploited some of the genius of one of his Generals, Heinz Guederian, and blitzkrieged through France, he forced France to sign their surrender documents in the same train that France forced Germany to sign their surrender documents at the end of World War I. Hitler then had the train blown up after he forced France to sign their surrender in that same train. But, really, I think World War II could have been prevented, had the aftermath of World War I been handled correctly by the Allies. The US also refused to be part of the Treaty of Versailles as well, but Germany still had to deal with France and Britain.
Charlotte Pendragon takes no prisoners. I wouldn't mess with her. Carrie Sue can put a hurting on you too. I would rather step into the ring with King Kong Bundy that either of those two women.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 07:34, frankvomit wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-15 20:11, gaffed wrote:
[i]Sorry, but I just have to ask; this has to do with the [b]Latest and Greatest[/b] just how?
Perhaps this should be moved to: [b] Not very magical, still...[/b][/i]

[/quote]

[b]I think you hit the wrong button this is not very magical still.[/b]
[/quote]

Suggest you read my post [i]again[/i].
This thread was at [i]first[/i] in [b]The Latest and Greatest[/b], but has since then been moved to: [b]Not very magical, stil…[/b], which is where it should be. ;)
So when are we getting these scraps sanctioned? Let's do this.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 16:00, Pop Haydn wrote:
Gazzo and Ricki Dunn both boxers.
[/quote]

Gazzo was a boxer? That explains how he can let those insults fly on the street yet always remain so calm and cool. I think that's cool. Didn't know that about him.
[quote]Gazzo was a boxer? That explains how he can let those insults fly on the street yet always remain so calm and cool. I think that's cool. Didn't know that about him. [/quote]

Now here is the thing that confuses me. How can you train in MMA or boxing and have your finger joints all messed up and still be like an awesome magician or sleight of hand artist? Back when I was in good shape and going to an MMA gym, I always walked away after training hard with my joints all messed up in my fingers and it made practicing magic more difficult. So, to me, I felt it was either choose to be a great magician or choose to be a great MMA fighter. So I went with being a magician given that I love magic. Can you do both really well though? I know my joints in my fingers were locked and difficult to move around gracefully while performing sleight of hand with cards and coins and such.
Other than Dorenbos, I gotta say, I wouldn't want a piece of Critter. You guys have seen the stuff he does at the Highland Games, right?
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 22:55, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Other than Dorenbos, I gotta say, I wouldn't want a piece of Critter. You guys have seen the stuff he does at the Highland Games, right?
[/quote]

Dude there are countless bad asses these days. The instructor I had at the MMA gym I used to train at years ago (which I don't train anymore and I am not in that kind of shape like I used to be) was a short, small dude and was just a nice guy and happy all the time and smiling all the time, you would never know he was a true blue bad ass unless you were one of the unfortunate guys on the street who tried to pick a fight with him or bully him because he was a small dude.

I mean, I think with the way MMA has developed and become popular these days, you just have a bunch of bad asses that are trained like hell to fight. It's almost like bad asses are just a dime a dozen. But my question, can you live up to your full potential as a magician, if you also train hard in MMA?

MMA can injure your joints and your finger joints can get locked which makes performing magic more difficult. If I felt like I could do both without harming my ability to practice magic, I would be glad to do both MMA and magic, but my experience is like it seemed my finger joints would get locked and MMA fighters suffer some pretty serious injuries that could also harm a magic career. I feel you have to choose one or the other. Or is this wrong? I am interested in hearing what some of the others think.

Edit: Plus you have to consider the time it takes to train in MMA and the time it takes to practice and get really good with magic. Both take a lot of time and hard work. So, to me, it seems like you have to make a choice, especially if you are somebody who has a wife like I do where you have to balance time between work, recreation and family. It's one thing to go out and exercise for 30 minutes to an hour, quite another to train in MMA which is way way more intense and time consuming.
Ricky Jay ... he would have both your eyes out with a card in a blink.
Richard Turner, 5th degree black belt. He looks pretty bad *** in this picture on his wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Richard-turner-karate.jpg
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 23:35, rockwall wrote:
Richard Turner, 5th degree black belt. He looks pretty bad *** in this picture on his wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Richard-turner-karate.jpg
[/quote]

Yeah, dude looks bad ass. I wouldn't mess with him either.
Odd: nobody's mentioned Jeff McBride.
I'm probably disqualified since I'm so out of practice at magic :(
[quote]I'm probably disqualified since I'm so out of practice at magic.[/quote]

Yeah, years ago when I did MMA just to stay in shape (and this was at a gym that had fighters who fought professionally, so they would really put me through the ropes even though I was just doing it to stay in good shape) I would spend at least 3 hours a day at the gym scrapping and exercising with the guys and we had some pretty bad injuries at times. They would have me take these huge monster tires that were really heavy and flip them over and over back and forth across the gym. I thought I was going to die. It really tough. I would walk away with the joints in my fingers locked up to from all the sparing and learning various different moves. You learn to take quite a beating honestly speaking and keep fighting despite taking a beating. It makes you very mentally and physically hard and tough. When I first started out, the first month, literally, I had trouble walking because the workouts were so intense.

I performed magic then has an amateur which I had been doing for years as a hobby but eventually realized that I was going to have to make a choice. Either exercise by running or walking or biking (that's if I get up off my lazy rear end and do it) and performing magic seriously and professionally or take MMA seriously as a hobby and sport and kinda put magic on the back burner. It was going to be either one or the other.

Honestly, I enjoy entertaining people and just amazing and making people smile rather than punching their lights out or getting my lights punched out by somebody badder than me so I decided to go with magic over MMA. Plus I just love magic the best anyway and just how amazing the art of magic is and the creativity involved with magic. I felt it was important to choose one or the other and not try to do both halfway but choose one and do it all the way, but again it required I make a choice. MMA is an awesome sport and certainly gives you a lot of confidence but so does magic in a different way.

MMA gives you confidence when you train hard and take it seriously because you know you are a bad ass and you are really awesome shape (fighters are in phenomenal shape and I don't think people really understand what kind of shape the MMA fighters are in, because they really train very very hard). Magic gives you confidence because you are having to perform difficult sleight of hand tricks in front of strangers and try to fool while entertaining. This requires lot of practice while not performing and coming up with presentations to make it entertaining while embedding misdirection in the presentation in order to fool people. So you get awesome people skills and you learn how to approach people and still make them feel comfortable and make them smile, so it magic gives you a difference kind of confidence that doesn't come from being a bad ass, but from performing in front of people and knowing how to make people happy, smile and laugh and you have to approach with confidence and have good people skills. Plus it takes a lot of confidence to approach sharp eyed people and perform difficult sleight of hand right before their eyes and fool them and get away with it.

You don't have to be a bad ass to have good people skills or to have confidence. But MMA certainly gives you confidence from being in tremendous shape and knowing you can hold your own if you ever found yourself in a bad situation. Which you shouldn't be putting yourself in a situation outside of the cage where you have to fight in the first place. MMA fighters also avoid the bar like the plague because alcohol is just not good for you physically and it's just a place where there is a lot of trouble. They are usually focused on training for the next fight (at least the ones who do it professionally) and being mentally prepared for it.
Ekaterina Dobrokhotova, because I'm a proper gentleman and couldn't fight back. This is how it would go down: First she would do a perfect overhead card spring with boxing gloves on, stunning me. Then she would immediately perform Nefesch's Hug, causing me to collapse with laughter for the entire 10 count from the memory of an epic Café thread.
Lobo
I met Dorenbos, and he was a lot bigger than me.
Big dude. Good thing he's a nice guy. Did he do magic for you?
We swapped a couple Shoot Ogawa rope moves at Super Sunday a few years ago. I really liked his well endowed girl friend.
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 12:21, Pop Haydn wrote:
I stole Ali's watch twice, once at his table at Balboa's Magic Island, and once at a private party. He loves magic. He made me watch him do a color-changing silk, and then explained the whole thing to everyone at the table, showing the little dye tube and everything--he loved to do tricks, but felt his religion required him to not "fool" anybody.

He is a very nice, very kind man. I wouldn't want to fight him:

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

Muhammad Ali
[/quote]

You lot are wimps ....... I reckon I could take him .....unless we have to go back to his prime? Then I wouldn't .....heck who am I kidding! He'd kick my arse even now...... I don't think any magician would get past the ropes without doing cut and restored rope .....down hill from there on really trying to out do each other! ;)

I liked the Rincwind line!

I wouldn't want to go up against McBride ......or even more .....I think Pat Page would whoop most people! I got the feeling he may fight like ...no dispepect but I think he would fight dirty (aka effectively)
Costello: "...and in my next bout I'm gonna fight Gene Tierney."
Abbott: "You mean Gene Tunney."
Costello: "Look--you fight who YOU wanna fight, I'll fight who I wanna fight!"
Tony Giorgio. After all, he was one of the guys who killed Luca Brasi.
I would be afraid to fight Copperfield.

'Cause I love him too much. ;)
[url=http://youtu.be/cLn3k4fAyjg]5.2[/url] :bg:

http://youtu.be/iV799jq6_WQ?t=1m1s
[quote]
On 2013-08-17 16:30, mastermindreader wrote:
Tony Giorgio. After all, he was one of the guys who killed Luca Brasi.
[/quote]

Nice call! I just watched this legendary film last night; I must have watched this film 15 times in my life and it is simply a masterpiece. Signore Giorgio certainly looked like a "made guy" and nobody messes with a made guy. ;)

Something I finally noticed last night that would not have happened. At Connie's wedding when Santino goes out to investigate the law enforcement people taking down license plate numbers, he states "godd**n FBI don't respect nothin'" The thing is, J. Edgar Hoover never recognized nor admitted the existence of organized crime. At the time of the wedding scene, 1945, Hoover was concentrating on communist activity. Actual investigations into Cosa Nostra were done at the state level if at all at that time; it's why that period was considered the golden age for Cosa Nostra. (I still think Santino was right though ;) )
Barry Mitchell used to be all buffed up- nice guy as he is- looked like for sure he was pumping iron and could probably beat my brains in.

I saw Ice McDonald once get all jazzed up a magic lecture at the FCM international while speaking on ethics and other related sensitive issues (like "encouraging" us to practice more- ok- barking orders at us to practice more), I am still too scared to even think about doing something unethical in the future in order not to upset him. When Ice separates two large parrots, he really s-e-p-a-r-a-t-e-s them in a semi-violent forceful manner.

The most physical illusionist I ever saw in my lifetime was Bob Kramer and Company (Judy) out of Grand Rapids- Bob looked like a whirling tornado when he literally ran through his huge illusion show. He yanked, pulled and threw away the swords out of his sword box like the inside of it was on fire with his mother inside. Of course, he whipped through Abbott's Cremation effect in about 60 seconds too.

I'd don't think I'd want to mess with Chris Capehart either, my guess is he knows how to handle hecklers or snotty kids with just a turn of his grinning eyebrow.
How about me? Yeah I'm an old man, but one of Allen Steen's first generation black belts class of '68. A good number of major regional and national titles in the 60's and 70's, 1976-1978 NAKBA Light-heavyweight kickboxing champion (undefeated in 17 fights). 58 years training. Black belts in Judo (USJA), Batto Jutsu, Kobudo, Aikido (fugakukai and yoshinkai), three jujitsu systems, inherited the Okinawan Dai NiGojuryu system from its founder, Ranked 8th dan by the Korean Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan Assn., and ranked by Allen Steen and the American Karate Black Belt Association- Chin Sook Hage Kwan as 10th Dan. Executive Director and member of the High Dan Board of the AKBBA-CSHK since 1981. (http://www.akbba.com)
I'm old, but I still train and can still thump a few heads.
Peter Nardi looks like he could dish out a pummeling if you upset him.
[quote]
On 2013-08-20 20:34, Father Photius wrote:
How about me? Yeah I'm an old man, but one of Allen Steen's first generation black belts class of '68. A good number of major regional and national titles in the 60's and 70's, 1976-1978 NAKBA Light-heavyweight kickboxing champion (undefeated in 17 fights). 58 years training. Black belts in Judo (USJA), Batto Jutsu, Kobudo, Aikido (fugakukai and yoshinkai), three jujitsu systems, inherited the Okinawan Dai NiGojuryu system from its founder, Ranked 8th dan by the Korean Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan Assn., and ranked by Allen Steen and the American Karate Black Belt Association- Chin Sook Hage Kwan as 10th Dan. Executive Director and member of the High Dan Board of the AKBBA-CSHK since 1981. (http://www.akbba.com)
[/quote]

Bring it on Daddy, I've got a black belt in Origami. So there !
You guys have gone through the concealed carry thread right?

Those guys I want on my side in a fight to the death.

Or when the zombie apocalypse hits! :ohyes:
Everything's gone to MMA these days. I did boxing club at my school and the majority of the training was boxing for MMA, so we spent as much time on Thai kicks and take down defense as we did on actual boxing. I just wanted to get punched in the face with a referee there for safety, there are better places to train grappling than a boxing club.
[quote]
[/quote]

Did you ever know a guy named Charles Davenport (his buddies called him Tom, by his middle name)? He's my old man (passed away now). When he was in the service he was either the Air Force judo champ or an all service champ in judo according to my mother. My old man was never a magician but he liked to watch me do a few magic tricks when I was a kid and encourage me to perform for the family at family reunions. I saw his black belt that he got from long ago and it had Japanese (or what appeared to be Japanese writing, definitely an Asian language) writing on it (then again, he might not have learned Judo from an Asian instructor, I read that in many Asian countries, they don't believe in the belt ranking systems, but I don't know and there is a lot I don't know about my dad's younger years but I did see he had a black belt with writing on it written in an Asian language).

Mother says he learned it while he was stationed either in Korea or Okinawa and I guess he learned it from the local Koreans or Japanese in the area. An older cousin of mine also mentioned that he learned judo from one of the local Asians, have to talk to him again about that. Never said much about his judo days when I was young but when I got into wrestling in high school he taught me a few moves he knew. My mother tells me he was going to compete in the Pan Am games but went to Vietnam instead.
It wouldnt matter of it were a magician or not...I'm afraid to fight. Not afraid to take a beating. But afraid to fight because of the outcome.
I have been beaten beyond recognition, stabbed multiple times, and shot. This lends me to a level of fear and understanding that just makes me ask "is my life in danger, or is my family's life in danger?" If not in mortal danger, I'm walking or running away. Just away.
If I am made to feel like I or my family is in mortal danger, then it's not about "fighting" it's about killing before I or my family is killed. By any means possible. The end. No debate. No recourse or conscience. This is the natural way of things.
[quote]
Bobby Maverick wrote:

But afraid to fight because of the outcome. [/quote]

Not only the outcome of being beaten, shot or stabbed, but you also have to consider the legal outcome and the costs associated with that aspect as well. Even if you didn't start the fight, the cops might still arrest you and you could spend time in jail as well as paying court costs and fines and/or having to hire a lawyer to defend you in court. Or, you could be sued if you beat the guy in the ensuing fight for medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional distress. And if you got injured, you got your own medical bills to pay and medical bills aren't cheap, especially if you don't have any insurance.

Even if you are a bad ass who can fight, there is no guarantee the other guy will fight fair plus, even if you give the guy a beat down you could still face the possibility of arrest and being sued civilly for the beat down you gave. It's always better to prevent a fight if at all possible because once it starts, anything can happen and the consequences can be astronomical.
Yes, never 'fight fair' for real, do whatever to survive. Run or claw like animals do, survival is everything. Gun, knife, surface to air missile or whatever... Run, hide, vanish, fly or what have you... ;)

But to be fair to the OP, I think he meant a few rounds in the ring with a referee. :)
The Amazing Jonathan is not only big, but appears to be completely nuts! (good for the show, however). BTW, loved the references to magician and boxer Muhammed Ali... he's in a few of those magic magazines, appearing at conventions. Lynn
[quote]
[/quote]

Father,

You know *I* can't fight you because we Orthodox aren't allowed to go around punching our priests! ;) That said, minus the collar, with your martial arts credentials, I wouldn't tangle with you. :) Besides, I only did Tang Soo Do so you out number me in belts - and mastery. My mama didn't raise no fool.

Best,
Vlad
Because I've taken punches I'm no longer afraid of taking punches.
Still, when I fight I like it to be legal and officiated. Street fighting can lead to prison and I'm no fan of that.
[quote]
On 2013-08-26 15:31, critter wrote:
Because I've taken punches I'm no longer afraid of taking punches.
Still, when I fight I like it to be legal and officiated. Street fighting can lead to prison and I'm no fan of that.
[/quote]

Yup, better in the ring. :)