(Close Window)
Topic: The Death of Poe
The Death of Poe

[IMG]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4779/i4c3.jpg[/IMG]

I am proud to announce The Death of Poe. A beautiful story telling opportunity that will keep your audiences captivated. The Death of Poe comes complete with all the items pictured above, as well as a full manual with a routine.

For those that pre-ordered I thank you and you will be seeing tracking confirmations in your email this weekend. Unfortunately I will be raising the price on these. There are many pieces involved and it is a time consuming effect. The new price will be $75.00. However for this weekend, I will extend the current price of $55.00.

Thanks!
I finished reading the manual and I really liked this effect a lot. Highly recommended. Get this along with the upcoming Prof BC's Doppleganger and you have a full evening of bizzare entertainment. One more thing, it's self working.
Thanks! I did forget to mention that! It is self working.

All open orders on The Death of Poe (including today's orders!) have received a tracking number and will be hitting mailboxes this Monday!
Reading the effect (routine) on the site I can only say I don't get it. What am I missing? Is there a signal from the murder card or another card? Confused?
PM Sent.

It is a very simple effect that allows the spectator a FREE CHOICE on how Mr. Poe died. They have a choice of Murder, Rabies, TB and Cooping. The spectator is never wrong, and it is self working.
Sounds too cool to pass up. Ordered mine.
Received my tracking number and can't wait to have this bad boy in my hands. It looks beautiful Vic. Another winner I'm sure.
Looking forward to mine rolling in. Love the amount of background info and other thoughts that went into this one.
I have always been fascinated by the Life of Poe.
Looking forward to adding this one to my repertoire.

I am also seeking any additional effects utilizing a Raven Feather.
If anyone has any suggestions to share, it would be much appreciated.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity,

Eric
[quote]
On 2013-08-18 23:31, Papasmurf wrote:

I am also seeking any additional effects utilizing a Raven Feather.

Eric
[/quote]

Eric,check out "The Touch of Cain"!
I think it is at,Penguin.
May,be something that you can use! :)
Looks interesting. . .

http://www.ementalism.com/products/the-touch-of-cain-by-dan-cain
My purchase is in for Touch of Cain, looks great as a side effect.

Many thanks,

Eric
In the book GRANDFATHER STORIES, there is a routine using a black feather that comes as a gift as the results of a conversation with a crow.
Ok, it's not a raven but a first cousin at least. Based on a story from a tribal elder, it is thought provoking.

In another book, EGYPTIAN MAGIC, there is a routine involving a Falcon feather, referred to as the feather of truth or Maat. A spinoff of the moving feather in a bottle.

Larry White produced a feather routine that had the feather quill pen stand up an write.

While none of these relate to Poe or the Raven poem, they do stimulate the imagination.
Ed
I adore Grandfather Stories! The raven effect can be done with other bird feathers or plumes if you use your imagination! If you don't have a copy, you should. This is a very thought provoking book! I also use this book as a "go to" book when I am stuck and cannot come up with a new idea.
They all could easily relate to Poe if one embellishes a bit and states that Poe would often write his initial drafts with a feather pen...a Raven feather.
Looks like another winner, I haven't gotten anything from Vic that has been a disappointment, and this looks like it's once again sure fire win.
Vlad
Very nice props. For a Poe lover like me it's a bargain.
Thanks Ed,

I will be looking into these feather effects. Should be easy enough to adapt to a plot of Poe.

Much appreciated,

Eric
I helped initially designed this one for Vic and Gemini Artifacts. Vic has taken my designs to a new level however. I just got the finished product in this past weekend and it is a work of art. Not to brag, but I don't think you can call yourself a bizarre magician without this now that it exists! Also, it get it soon... October is not only "the month of Halloween" but also, the month that Poe died in! Imagine conducting a Poe seance that ends with this illusion!

Vince
http://www.vincewilsonmagic.com/
Misunderstood lyrics

[img]http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/d/dead_pooh_bear-12683.jpg[/img]
The curious may enjoy this feather adaptation.
.'Taint Poe, but my Egyptian version of the moving feather.
Thanks for sharing Ed,

Looks great and will PM you on this one.

Eric
That looks very nice Ed.
I had this waiting on me when I got back from vacation. I had already read the manuscript beforehand and loved the effect - simple, self-working, with a great story/premise - and it's about POE!!! As folks have already said on here, the props are a work of art themselves and really help to set the atmosphere when you pull them out. I'm looking forward to trying this out in a few days at our magic club meeting and I will report back here with the reactions. It's been awhile since I was on here but I wanted to chime in and say another winner put out by Vic - if you don't have this and you are a fan of Vic's other products, or a fan of Poe, you can't go wrong - and it's definitely priced way below the value of the effect!

Two thumbs way up!

Chad
I grabbed gtreat effect this for a show that isn't going to happen. Just listed in Tricks and effects for sale.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=523424&forum=76&0
In case any one else was wondering about "Cooping" as I was:

The day Poe was found by Joseph Walker was an election day, and many have since theorized that an illegal process known as "cooping" was the cause of Poe's death. Basically a method for tilting an election toward a particular candidate, cooping was described by William Baird in the mid-1870s:

"At that time, and for years before and after, there was an infamous custom in this and other cities, at election time, of "cooping" voters. That is, gangs of men picked up, or even carried off by force, men whom they found in the streets and transported them to cellars in various slums of the city, where they were kept under guard, threatened, maltreated if they attempted to escape, often robbed, and always compelled to drink whiskey [sometimes mixed with other drugs] until they were stupefied and helpless.

At the election these miserable wretches were brought up to the polls in carts or omnibuses, under guard, and made to vote the tickets in their hands [repeatedly at different voting places]. Death from the ill-treatment was not very uncommon. The general belief here is that Poe was seized by one of these gangs 'cooped,' stupefied with liquor, dragged out and voted [again and again], then turned adrift to die."
Hmmmmm. Sounds like a plot for a Poe story.
I finally got around to performing this at a gathering yesterday. I must say- I am disappointed. (with myself) I should have been performing this so much more! The information (biography) Vic supplies about Poe really makes this piece so logical and coherent. I will say when I received the pdf and took a look at it- I thought to myself- wow! So much info to digest. Though I have not digested all of Vic's information about Poe- I will go back and try to digest more. Only because after performing this- while going through the story/patter during the performance- my eyes were opened to how much the specs were involved and interested in this with the story I was laying out to them. I could see that the specs would have appreciated even more info about Poe. Note- you don't need to learn everything for this to be a success- I have not learned everything and this was a huge hit! I just saw how you could, if you wanted to, add more to the story and it would not dull the effect. I am really starting to get "pulled" into this realm of magic. Gemini has really got a "hook" in my mouth, lol!

Now I have to delve into The Alchemist's Bane I just received this weekend! Superior quality and art work with these cards. Can't wait to start reading and digesting!!!

Great work Vic!

RNK
Thanks so much for the kind words. I appreciate it!
Just one thing, in the words of Columbo, I thought the smell of almonds was associated to cyanide and not arsenic?

The idea and props look good though.
I love this effect!
Thanks for sharing!
I pulled the routine I posted above as it may give away more than the creator would like. I will re-post in the crypt section. Anyone wanna swap routines ideas downstairs?
Absolutely love this effect, Vic has outdone himself!

There's a great video biography of Poe here, for those performers who want even more background than the (incredibly comprehensive) performance manual provides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf61QOZnfm0
After a few cancelled magic meetings at my home - I am pleased to say that this was a huge hit at our monthly meeting. Performed for a few magicians and one young magician, was thinks more like a laymen still, the story was just as captivating as the actual reveal at the end. This prop and routine just draws people in so easily and the fact that the spectator(s) have a free choice, etc plays so very strong. Even the magicians in the group who is "in the know" on the general method were discussing how interesting the premise was and how nice the props were as well. It was specifically stated that the creator must have put in a huge amount of time on the creation of all the pieces in the set.

Again, this is a great routine, a great effect, a great back-story/premise - and I highly recommend it for any Poe lovers out there. I will be performing this again this Saturday for a larger crowd of "regular" folks and am looking forward to their responses! Especially after just having heard my telling of The Tell-Tale Heart prior to the performance of The Death of Poe.

Thanks again Vic!
Death of Poe and the Poe Brainwave are on the shopping list. They will go so well with BOM Poe Edition and Dopps, and allow me to mix and match as the mood takes me. And we get to introduce some younger folks to this 19th Century fellow.
That's great Chad! Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.
[quote]
On 2013-12-11 07:46, Brynmore14 wrote:
Death of Poe and the Poe Brainwave are on the shopping list. They will go so well with BOM Poe Edition and Dopps, and allow me to mix and match as the mood takes me. And we get to introduce some younger folks to this 19th Century fellow.
[/quote]

Yes, the Poe Brainwave is great as well! I will also have that with me on my Poe tour this weekend. And the price is great!
[quote]
On 2013-12-09 23:32, Chad C. wrote:
Even the magicians in the group who were "in the know" on the general method were discussing how interesting the premise was and how nice the props were as well. It was specifically stated that the creator must have put in a huge amount of time on the creation of all the pieces in the set.
[/quote]

This is an excellent point that should not be skimmed over too lightly. The Death of Poe props are real convincers, exquisite & well-made. Even without an effect, they'd hold an audience spellbound through the story itself. With the effect, this is a true winner. If you don't own Death of Poe, it is well worth the price.

BC
Attached below is a link to my tribute to the great author....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShYyzb3cNY

Chuck Caputo
Nice Chuck, thanks for sharing!
This is the display I use for this effect. Envelope is left under the glass until needed.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/zoopdog/photocopy_zps98a8a78f.jpg[/img]
Cool little table.
Got one on the way!
This is a great complete kit and routine!
I know I am late to the game but I have to say that this is a very impressive collection.
Vic has done a great service to spooky in providing this simple routine with its well made believable props.
Anyone with story telling skills will be ready to run with this.

Highly recommended and you can right here...
http://www.geminiartifacts.com
This and the Poe Brainwave Deck are on the way, woot.
Can I adapt this to fit another person other than Poe or is his name in the effect?

Thanks a lot!!
This is for Poe... The method can be used for almost anything... In fact you probably do this already... The props here are first class and the backstory and script are usable straight out of the box...
Death of Poe and Poe Brainwave arrived a couple of days ago. I performed the Poe Brainwave last night and enjoyed the ease of performance quite a lot. My presentation was to talk about the plot of each story and the common themes such as entombment and guilty conscience that link the storys, and then ask which story the spectator felt Poe was happiest that he had captured this vibe in. If you google Poe and Theme together, there is some good info on themes and symbolism in his work.

Next it's time to start rehearsing Death of Poe, but sadly that will have to wait until after work.
This is a great documentary on Poe. If you were looking for an introduction for Death of Poe, check out 5:30 through to 7:30, the scripting has already been done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HYfAZ6D0gE
Thanks for the link, Brynmore!

There's an excellent play by Jeffery Hatcher called 'Murder by Poe' that would be worth picking up a copy. It's full of cool staging concepts and insights into EAP that I had never heard before. We're hoping to stage a production of that one of these days.
Perkins, sounds very interesting. I'll have to check it out.
I have been thinking about Poe quite a bit of late, specifically about his inter action with the Raven, and how he and his black feather quill, may have influenced the thoughts and words Poe penned with it.

Would a quill made from an Owls feather speak of death and darkness as well?

Would an Ostrich plume quill create stories concerning scales of justice, death and Maat?

Does the mind and hand of the writer control the content of the tale, or are the words in faxr reminescences of the feather quill itself?

Quills made from the feathers once worn by Native american warriors would have tales of brutality and deception of their own trail of tears to tell.
Just something to consider.

Kotah
There's the Kwakwaka'wakw belief that if you hear the owl, you will soon die. As in "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" by Margaret Craven.
Mother Earth, according to some Native American tribal lore had two sons.

One tried to kill his brother with an owl feather as his weapon, the other chose to use a segment of fern plant

Owl feathers for the most part are taboo.

Kotah
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm_1L27JGFg
Dr. Spektor, that's a hoot. Paul Frees is one of my heroes and he's voicing Poe in this one!

At the risk of thread derail, there's one more Poe-themed animation that if you haven't seen, you should. There, I said it.

James Mason in Tell-Tale Heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGiTVYklXo
[quote]On Oct 28, 2013, ajb6864 wrote:
Just one thing, in the words of Columbo, I thought the smell of almonds was associated to cyanide and not arsenic?

The idea and props look good though. [/quote]

I am considering getting this, but believe that this (minor) objection is, in fact, correct - and I expect that many in my potential audiences may know that (due to the "almond scent" playing a prominent role in several well-known crime novels).

Does anyone who owns this know whether the arsenic poisoning is just part of the story (and could thus easily be substituted) or whether it appears in the props as well, e.g. printed on the cards or reports?
It is a smell of Cyanide, and it is printed on one of the props. Arsenic has no mention on the props at all.
Brilliant - many thanks for the fast clarification. Will order soon, just struggling how much else I can reasonably add to the shopping list. :-))