(Close Window)
Topic: Gasoline: ACAAN
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 21, 2013 06:29AM)
Hello,

Recently I performed a three-phase multiple ACAAN for my father. I taped it and put it on my website. It is called "Gasoline" because it adds fuel to the fire of ACAANs. Comments and feedback appreciated. You can see the video at:

http://www.deceptionasreality.com/media.htm

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Message: Posted by: Cervier (Aug 21, 2013 06:43AM)
As a spectator of that video (I mean I'm not wearing my "mentalist" hat ;-) , please allow me a piece of advice: you should do that video all over. It lacks energy, neither of you sound like you're having fun or are entertained, it's not appealing.
Still as a spectator, the way it's filmed and the fact you are closely related to the spectator (!) makes me suspect all kind of secret preparations: maybe you juste asked him to say 2 of C and 17, maybe you were signaling him the cards and number to say, etc.

Now with my mentalist hat on, some might think the succession of ACAANS is an overkill (and could be, if not correctly presented) I think it has the potential to be a killer routine! I picture myself doing it with 3 persons... That would be nice :)
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 21, 2013 07:06AM)
The lack of energy is on purpose, but thank you for that feedback. Thanks for your commentary. I appreciate it. I won't go into methods here. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Message: Posted by: Amirá (Aug 21, 2013 08:17AM)
The name of the effect is hilarious comparing the performance.

Nice idea for an ACAAN buy clearly you are not a entertainer, so I will not comment on that. I don't know honestly the method, but this is one where I honestly don't care.

Thanks fot sharing Dale, you have a fooler in your hands if you are following the criteria that appears on the end of the video. You can place it also on the video sub-forum, in there a lot of magiciand will love to take guesses about your method(s).


Let me ask you something very seriously, without any intention of being aggresive or harsh. In here you think that you applied the concepta of instant rapport that you publish on your books?



Best
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 21, 2013 08:23AM)
Amira,

Why are you always so harsh to anyone who has given you negative feedback in the past? (See my review of one of Pablo's ebooks).

I don't want people discussing methods; I want them to think in terms of effects.

I think I have a lot of rapport with my father in the video........after all it is my father. There is no need for instant rapport techniques as I already had rapport with him.....after all he's my father.

You say I am not a performer. My checkbook disagrees with you. This was not a normal performance. It was an off-the-cuff video taping of something special.

I'm glad that for not caring you wrote so much and decided to insult me. What's your beef Pablo?

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Message: Posted by: John C (Aug 21, 2013 08:31AM)
Seriously folks, the man is simply presenting the effect. He's not asking for a critique of his performing skills. The spectator is how father who "may" have seen Dale do a trick or two in the past.
Message: Posted by: Amirá (Aug 21, 2013 08:48AM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 09:23, Dale A. Hildebrandt wrote:
Amira,

Why are you always so harsh to anyone who has given you negative feedback in the past? (See my review of one of Pablo's ebooks).

I don't want people discussing methods; I want them to think in terms of effects.

I think I have a lot of rapport with my father in the video........after all it is my father. There is no need for instant rapport techniques as I already had rapport with him.....after all he's my father.

You say I am not a performer. My checkbook disagrees with you. This was not a normal performance. It was an off-the-cuff video taping of something special.

I'm glad that for not caring you wrote so much and decided to insult me. What's your beef Pablo?

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
[/quote]

Dale:

Don't take this as an attack due your "negative" feedback of one of my publications. I place "negative" on quotes because I didn't take your feedback as negative, seriously.

I am just being honest and ask you about your performance experience. It´s ok if you have a full checkbook, but I am just giving my opinion based on what I can see on your videos.
If you tell me that you didn't use your techniques on this performance, I believe you.

Sorry if you felt offended, it was not my intention at all.

The effect looks nice and very direct. Congrats.


Best
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 21, 2013 08:53AM)
Hello Pablo,

Sorry if I misread your tone in your previous post. Text can be hard to interpret. Thank you for clearing everything up. And I didn't use my normal "performance mode" in this video. Like I said previously, it was an off the cuff moment wth my father. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Message: Posted by: Amirá (Aug 21, 2013 08:56AM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 09:53, Dale A. Hildebrandt wrote:
Hello Pablo,

Sorry if I misread your tone in your previous post. Text can be hard to interpret. Thank you for clearing everything up. And I didn't use my normal "performance mode" in this video. Like I said previously, it was an off the cuff moment wth my father. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
[/quote]

No problem Dale.
As I told you, place this link also on this subforum http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=217&33521 , you will get a lot of attention of ACAAN lovers


Best
Message: Posted by: backinblack (Aug 21, 2013 09:57AM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 09:31, John C wrote:
Seriously folks, the man is simply presenting the effect. He's not asking for a critique of his performing skills. The spectator is how father who "may" have seen Dale do a trick or two in the past.
[/quote]

"Comments and feedback appreciated."

anyhow: nice effect..
Message: Posted by: Cervier (Aug 21, 2013 10:19AM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 08:06, Dale A. Hildebrandt wrote:
The lack of energy is on purpose, but thank you for that feedback. Thanks for your commentary. I appreciate it. I won't go into methods here. Thank you.
[/quote]

Mind you, when I wrote that, _as_a_spectator_ I could easily imagine how this was done, it was to stress the fact any layman will imagine you just asked your father to say this and that, and all the magic of your performance is lost. I strongly feel your video does not do your effect justice.
I'm not advocating a *wham*bang*flash* style kids seem to favor nowadays ;-) but I didn't feel any "rapport" between your father and you. I apologize for putting it bluntly, but you both sound asleep or bored with what's happening.

And you shouldn't! What's happening is astonishing, fantastic, you should be happy and proud, your father (or any other spectator) should be impressed.

Thank you for sharing, you have my appreciation and respect. That video doesn't do your work justice.
(Maybe the best comments will come from people who are not your family or friends, and who are not magicians/mentalists, but laymen, people you perform for. Would that video make them want to see you on stage? Would it make them want to hire you? Would it make them want to buy the routine from you? Did they enjoy watching it?)
Message: Posted by: David Numen (Aug 21, 2013 12:13PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 11:19, LCervier wrote:

(Maybe the best comments will come from people who are not your family or friends, and who are not magicians/mentalists, but laymen, people you perform for. Would that video make them want to see you on stage? Would it make them want to hire you? Would it make them want to buy the routine from you? Did they enjoy watching it?)
[/quote]

I'm sure Dale will answer for himself in good time but seriously - none of that quoted section has any relevance. He posted a video of an effect - and most people on here are only interested in effects - for comment. It's like some people have assumed he's some newbie posting a video and have patronised him as a result when in fact he's anything but a newbie.
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Aug 21, 2013 12:30PM)
The spectator seems remarkably unaffected by the triple miracle that has just occurred. It leads me to question the authenticity of the event.

The complete lack of impetus and enthusiasm in the clip does have its own curious fascination, however. It feels a little like absurdist theatre. As if the characters in Waiting For Godot decided to try the Berglas Effect.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 21, 2013 01:51PM)
Dale made it clear that the participant is his father, who I expect has been watching these effects for years. You should see how blase my family is at ANYTHING I do.

This was merely posted as a proof of concept video of a specific effect and not as an actual performance demo.

It's a fascinating approach and I can see how it could be built into a very effective demonstration.
Message: Posted by: John C (Aug 21, 2013 02:04PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 10:57, backinblack wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 09:31, John C wrote:
Seriously folks, the man is simply presenting the effect. He's not asking for a critique of his performing skills. The spectator is how father who "may" have seen Dale do a trick or two in the past.
[/quote]

"Comments and feedback appreciated."

anyhow: nice effect..
[/quote]

Obviously not performing skills. I guess you need to know his history to get this.

I don't think it matters WHAT Dale says and what the obvious is. Those that want to critique the performance will because they only CRITIQUE things and by golly they have a need to post SOMETHING.

I mean, really, if this was a real performance would anybody that's posted here offer it up to the Café?

John
Message: Posted by: David Numen (Aug 21, 2013 02:10PM)
Have any of you ever shown another magician anything? I don't socialise with any these days but back in my magic club days it was de rigeur to show another magi a trick without any presentation because, quite simply, the other magi would steal the performance. And of course in such demonstrations the viewer would never ever show any sign of being mystified or amazed because that would be uncool and show up a lack of knowledge.

That video replicates exactly that atmosphere. But it doesn't detract from the effect.
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 21, 2013 02:47PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 15:10, David Numen wrote:
Have any of you ever shown another magician anything? I don't socialise with any these days but back in my magic club days it was de rigeur to show another magi a trick without any presentation because, quite simply, the other magi would steal the performance. And of course in such demonstrations the viewer would never ever show any sign of being mystified or amazed because that would be uncool and show up a lack of knowledge.

That video replicates exactly that atmosphere. But it doesn't detract from the effect.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2013-08-21 14:51, mastermindreader wrote:
Dale made it clear that the participant is his father, who I expect has been watching these effects for years. You should see how blase my family is at ANYTHING I do.

This was merely posted as a proof of concept video of a specific effect and not as an actual performance demo.

It's a fascinating approach and I can see how it could be built into a very effective demonstration.
[/quote]

Bob and David,
Thank you.

Others,
This video isn't meant for laymen. It is meant for other magicians. So no whiz-bang-pop. Just the effect.

Waiting for Godot,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Aug 21, 2013 02:50PM)
I'm a little confused by some of the comments on this thread. Dale asked for feedback on an ACAAN routine he "performed" for his father. He didn't specify the nature that feedback had to take. I also think the fact that the video is rendered in black and white, rather than left raw, has led to some of the confusion as to the nature of the feedback being requested..

A few of you must really have worn out your loved ones. :) If I performed a triple ACAAN as clean as this one for any member of my family they would be astonished, regardless of how bored they may have grown with my "experiments"! I genuinely had no idea that Dale's father was also a magician who is aware of the method being employed. The initial post didn't really clarify that.

As for the effect itself, if this is truly as clean as it looks, it obviously takes The Berglas Effect into uncharted waters.
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Aug 21, 2013 02:59PM)
Commenting on the effect I think it looks amazing. Whilst I rarely do ACAAN these days I think a 3 phase effect could be a stunner in walk around situations.

Doing it just two times for a newly wed couple would be quite nice too.

Go on then Dale, bait taken and awaiting you to reel me in!

Cheers,
Art
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Aug 21, 2013 03:00PM)
In many ways, your laid back approach added more a more believable factor to what you were doing. It was akin to Blaine in some respects.

After all, if you really had this ability there would be no need for you to be jumping up & down when you get it right!

Different approach, and I enjoyed it.
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 21, 2013 03:03PM)
Martin,

My father isn't also a magician; but he's seen so much magic he might as well be.

Art, and innercirclewannabe,
Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Aug 21, 2013 03:48PM)
Best of luck with your effect Dale. I hope we'll all soon be adding "ACAANACAANACAAN" to the lexicon of magic and mentalism!

Regards,
Martin.
Message: Posted by: Garrette (Aug 21, 2013 04:56PM)
As a proof of concept it is quite good, and even I as a non- performer can't help but think of different presentations. If it is truly as clean as you say, It is both marketable and worth not marketing.
Message: Posted by: Jim Klodzen (Aug 21, 2013 06:05PM)
Been a big fan for years! Brilliant!
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 22, 2013 03:44PM)
Thanks Martin, Garrette, and Jim!

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
Message: Posted by: doriancaudal (Aug 22, 2013 04:09PM)
This effect is really good, even if not entertaining ;) Well done!
Message: Posted by: John Raff M (Aug 22, 2013 05:02PM)
Hi Dale,
I honestly feel some people have been a bit unfair in their comments(but I honestly respect their opinion).

Firstly, if your father's reaction seemed lucid I feel that this is because I felt he seemed a little shy in front of the camera(not everyone is overly fond of being filmed).

Secondly, the way that this was filmed was awkward. You were both standing and you were filming him on a shaky camera, so we could not see you during the performance.

Finally, as people have said he is after all your father! He's probably seen you do things like this before so from the this point of view it wasn't like you were performing for a stranger! :D

Look, I honestly enjoyed the effect and feel that this wasn't meant to be like a full on demo or show real. This is clearly just something you wanted feed back on. Again I liked it a lot. :)

Best,
John.
Message: Posted by: backinblack (Aug 22, 2013 05:22PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 15:04, John C wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 10:57, backinblack wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 09:31, John C wrote:
Seriously folks, the man is simply presenting the effect. He's not asking for a critique of his performing skills. The spectator is how father who "may" have seen Dale do a trick or two in the past.
[/quote]

"Comments and feedback appreciated."

anyhow: nice effect..
[/quote]

Obviously not performing skills. I guess you need to know his history to get this.

I don't think it matters WHAT Dale says and what the obvious is. Those that want to critique the performance will because they only CRITIQUE things and by golly they have a need to post SOMETHING.

I mean, really, if this was a real performance would anybody that's posted here offer it up to the Café?

John
[/quote]

1.)
"Comments and feedback appreciated." => request was made in a general form so no reason to critizise those who wrote feedback.. rather to say thank you for the feedback..

2.)
however: maybe my 2 sentences were a little to much to read (as you quoted my statement and made your conclusions on it):

"anyhow: nice effect.."
Message: Posted by: Dale A. Hildebrandt (Aug 23, 2013 02:42PM)
Hello Dorian and John,

Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated.

Thanks to backinblack as well. I tend to agree it is a nice effect.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt