(Close Window)
Topic: Switching magic coloring book for the blank book?
I'm planning to start looking for bar/restaurant jobs as a table hopper soon. I don't really have many tricks for kids, so I recently bought the magic coloring book and the matching blank coloring book.

I'm just wondering what are some good methods for switching in the blank book at the end?

My only idea at the moment is to have an opaque bag... put the magic book away... then say "oh, do you want to have a look at the book?" and then take out the blank one.

I feel like if I can make a convincing switch, the trick could fool the parents also. I assume the parents would have some idea of how the trick is done, but then if I allow them to examine the book after, they'll be pretty confused.
Check out Silly Billy's presentation for the Coloring Book...not sure where you'd watch it--if you can find it, you'll see that he creates a reason to get the book away from the kids--it's a logical presentation, and that way you don't have to hand out the book. Also, since this is one of your few effects for kids, I'd say don't worry about the adults. As far as I know, kids believe in the magic and don't really want to check the props to find the gimmick. If you definitely have to switch it out, your method is already clean enough IMHO.
I used to set it on a 24 inch silk, on a table then flip the corner of the silk up and over the book
And surprisingly... there was another book underneath that could be slid out

This is more of a timing issue rather then trying to make the switch into somet kind of a reputation maker. I can speak from experience. The switch is dome on the offbeat rather then telecasting that you are "up" to something. Putting the book in a bag screams "Hay,,,What else is in the bag"

Keep in mind the Standard Operating Procedure for switching pens on penetration effects is to put the pen in your pocket and if someone asks to see it then you give them the "good" pen. And keep a straight face.

Sometimes less is more. If you go out of your way to prove that you didn't do anything then you will make the audience suspicious.

Many times I would switch the book and say NOTHING. People will pick-up the book, on their own, and fool themselves. They think they have caught you until they flip the pages- then you get credit for real magic - as opposed to Look at this normal book that I'm going to hide for a second then show you the same book that I just hid... and there is a perfectly good reason why I did this but I can't tell you.
You plan to do this in a restaurant? Where would you put the coloring book?
While there are no hard and fast rules I would not personally do a coloring book in a bar.
They do make smaller coloring books that would be in some ways better for restaurant work. The switch would certainly be easier. Don't switch and say "oh did you want to look at this". If you do a switch just switch it as you seem to be seaching for another prop and then casually set the book down on the table.
Adam,

IMO, performing the Coloring Book in a restaurant is just not a good idea. It's a prop that should be reserved for you show. Remember, in a restaurant, your goal should be getting your name and face out there so you can book more work (where your coloring book routine would be a good fit).

That said...

Why do you feel the need to switch the book? Don't run if they're not chasing you. Another reason why doing it in a restaurant isn't a good idea. In your show, you don't pass out your props to be examined. In a close up situation, it's expected.

I have fooled children and adults with the coloring book and never once has anyone come up to me after the show and said "hey...let me see that thing!" It's a coloring book. It's a normal object that exists in the rhelm of the real world. There would be no reason to examin it. It's not like some odd looking magic prop.

Keep it simple and don't over think it.

My 2 cents!
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 22:16, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Adam,
There would be no reason to examin it. It's not like some odd looking magic prop.
[/quote]

And even then... did Houdini have people examine the elephant?
I wouldn't do the coloring book either. In addition to everything said here, it could easily get wet/mucky at some point - especially if you pass it out. Think of a family restaurant. They're full of kids and ketchup fingers. There are plenty of wonderful effects for kids in a restaurant. The sponge bunnies are awesome for all ages in a restaurant. Some other things kids love are pulling coins from their ears, coins across, repeated forcing of the card while telling them not to pick that specific card, correctly naming a thought of color of crayon, repeat card on the forehead, and the chop cup.there are so many more. Remember when entertaining kids, it's about being fun and funny. It's not about the trick being a fooler- although it is important too!
To further what twistedace said...

"It's not about the steak...it's about the sizzle!"
-Danny Doyle

That one statement 6 years ago changed how I looked at entertainment!
Message: Posted by: Dimitri Mystery Artist (Aug 21, 2013 10:18PM)
I also think that it is not appropriate for table hopping and that there is no need for switching.
I think the switch in a very casual manner is VERY strong... I agree with switching the book and saying NOTHING...don't call attention to it... simply make the switch and leave it out for them rack their brains with.
Thank you for all the replies and advice.

I do not plan on working at a place where there will be many children. I want to work at an establishment where I am performing for adults. however, I want to be prepared in case someone comes in with their kids. so I figured the coloring book is good to have just in case. I would not carry it around with me while table hopping. I would keep it in a bag with all my extra tricks, and just get the "kids" props if I need to go to a table with kids.

after I do the switch, I am not going to say "now examine this coloring book". I assume that if I can do a switch and just put the book down within arm's reach of a child, they'll grab the book and start looking at it themselves. or I can figure out some way to get them to look at the book later on without being blatant about it. the switch can be done of the offbeat, maybe while I'm getting ready for a second trick.

I do feel as if it's a lot stronger of a trick to have the book examined at some point before you leave the table. maybe not for the kids, but the adults will be like "wtf, that's just a blank book??? let me see that".

also, what if the kids ask "let me see that!" ... it would be nice to be able to let them touch it and look at it.

and if the book gets damaged, it's not a big deal. I just got one off penguin for $5.50 ... and the blank one was only $4.50... so it's not expensive to replace.

plus, I feel like a lot of kids like to call you out on stuff, so it would be nice to end clean so that a smart aleck kid can look at the book and be fooled.
[quote]
On 2013-08-22 02:17, AdamChance wrote:
Thank you for all the replies and advice.

I do not plan on working at a place where there will be many children. I want to work at an establishment where I am performing for adults. however, I want to be prepared in case someone comes in with their kids. so I figured the coloring book is good to have just in case. I would not carry it around with me while table hopping. I would keep it in a bag with all my extra tricks, and just get the "kids" props if I need to go to a table with kids.

plus, I feel like a lot of kids like to call you out on stuff, so it would be nice to end clean so that a smart aleck kid can look at the book and be fooled.
[/quote]

You have a lot to learn and a coloring in book switch isn't going to be the answer.
AdamChance,

I don't see anything wrong with you plan at all. The coloring book is a great item to keep handy for a large group of kids. (I was about to post that suggestion just before you did). A switch is not necessary but there is nothing wrong with the idea either.

Don't let any one discourage you.
[quote]
On 2013-08-22 03:08, MeetMagicMike wrote:
AdamChance,

I don't see anything wrong with you plan at all. The coloring book is a great item to keep handy for a large group of kids. (I was about to post that suggestion just before you did). A switch is not necessary but there is nothing wrong with the idea either.

Don't let any one discourage you.
[/quote]

If you get the smaller size coloring books- I think that would work. But to use the regular size coloring book at a restaurant or bar- I have to agree with Christopher- not a good idea. Would definitely take up to much room. They do have a medium size and vey small size book that would work nicely. Heck - for kids- just use the color changing ball to square- kids love it! And if you notice when you reveal the square- the adults eyes usually open wide too,lol! Thimple Thimple by Jeff Hobson is super for kids and adults- you can find it here: http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/shop/thimple-thimble-trick/

Daryl's Akrobatic Knot is great for kids and adults. Bag4 Life is another goodie for both kids and adults. Kids can't believe when you pull the coin thru a closed baggie. Fantasma Ring on String is another good one for kids.

RNK
Want to do a knock out effect, good for young and old alike? Get a hot rod!! Adults like them, kids love them.

Show the rod with different colors on both sides. Have the kid select a color. Show that color on both sides. Then magically change one side back to all colors while leaving one side the color chosen. Hand it out and watch them try to figure out what happened.

Packs really small, plays really BIG!!

Mark.
Message: Posted by: Dimitri Mystery Artist (Aug 22, 2013 04:42PM)
Adam I think there is nothing wrong in performing it and if you decide to do a switch, why not.

but there are several things you need to consider.

1. is the image of you doing a color change book in a bar/restuarant is the image you are aiming for?
2. do you do kids party? or is one of your goals is to generate bookings for children shows?
3. it seems that you donīt really care about the trick specifically, you just want something that would fit kids, so ask yourself if this is the best idea that you can come out with?
4. are you obligated to do a trick for the children?

etc...

again, no rules, no right or wrong, just food for thoughts.

good luck
[quote]
On 2013-08-22 17:42, Dimitri Mystery Artist wrote:
Adam I think there is nothing wrong in performing it and if you decide to do a switch, why not.

but there are several things you need to consider.

1. is the image of you doing a color change book in a bar/restuarant is the image you are aiming for?
2. do you do kids party? or is one of your goals is to generate bookings for children shows?
3. it seems that you donīt really care about the trick specifically, you just want something that would fit kids, so ask yourself if this is the best idea that you can come out with?
4. are you obligated to do a trick for the children?

etc...

again, no rules, no right or wrong, just food for thoughts.

good luck
[/quote]

1. I'm not too concerned about my "image"... it's not like I'm in character or anything like that. however, I want to be viewed as a talented magician. therefore, I want all my magic to be strong... that's the "image" I want. so even if I'm doing a kids trick like the coloring book, it would be nice to end with the blank book just so that I'll still be able to fool the adults and come out looking like a good magician even though I'm performing a kids trick.

2. no and no.

3. I'll do a few other kids tricks like sponge balls / sponge bunnies... maybe something with a silk and TT. but from the reviews I've read, the coloring book is one of the better kids tricks out there, so I think it's a good idea to perform this trick for young children. even though I don't have much experience performing for kids, I think it's a very good trick for young children... so I guess it's the best idea I've come up with.

4. I think so, yes. kids love magic. and if there are kids in the bar/restaruant, I want to be able to do magic for them. and while tricks like the invisible deck are great for adults, I can't see young kids getting too excited about that kind of trick. so I want to have a little set of tricks that I'll do just for the kids. at my girlfriend's office christmas party a few years ago, there were some kids and I did a quarter bite trick. I heard that they still had that quarter (switched one obviously) weeks later and were still talking about how I took a bite out of it. I haven't gotten a job anywhere yet, and I'm not aiming to get a job at a place with lots of kids, but if someone brings their kids and sees that there's a magician, I want to be able to do a good set for the kids show.

in my city, I know that there are close up magicians that work at the "Boston Pizza" and that's the type of place I would want to work. It's not really a kids type of place like pizza hut... it's a lot more of a bar type of atmosphere... and there aren't many kids that go... but there will cetainly be a few tables with kids I would imagine... so I want to be prepared.
I appreciate all the feedback... but if more people could just post some more techniques that I could use for a switch, that would be helpful.
Easiest technique- put it into your inside breast pocket for a second and take out the blank. You can cover it by asking, "Oh! I forgot to ask which one was your favorite picture!" It'll probably get a little chuckle. Or do the same thing behind the back if you're carrying it tucked into the back of your pants touching the small of your back.
Here is how I would switch the large coloring book. Keep it in a briefcase for those times when you get a large group of kids. Bring a stool over to the table along with the briefcase. Put the briefcase on the stool and open it so that the kids can't see inside. Pull out the coloring book and show it blank. Every one says the magic word but it is still blank because they weren't loud enough. They say the magic word and the pictures appear. Now you want them to color it. They each pull a color from their clothing. Who has yellow? Who has Red etc etc. On the count of three throw the pretend colors at the book. Show all the pictures are colored.

At this point you project the idea that the trick is over. Everyone applauds and you go on to the next trick. You have the coloring book in your hand as you fish around in your case for the next trick. Color changing ball to square is a great suggestion some one has already made. When you come away from your case you seem to still have the coloring book in your hand (it is now switched) along with a sponge ball. Close the case and put the coloring book on top of the briefcase. (That way it is in view but not where it will be grabbed). Do the color changing ball to square.

Now suddenly remember that you need to erase the book. Hand the coloring book to one of the kids that seems like he'll follow directions. Ask him if he can say the magic word backwards. When he makes a reasonable attempt have him check the coloring book and show every one that it is completely erased.

Personally I think this type of approach is a lot better than using a special switching device like change bag or some kind of Z fold thing. The idea is that the audience won't remember the coloring book every going out of sight.
Thanks guys! great ideas!

I like the briefcase idea a lot
What type of restaurant are you performing in? What is the physical layout like? You need to consider these factors before bringing a stool and briefcase to one table just to perform for children. In all honesty, you should be able to perform for every age group working straight out of your pockets. I am just thinking of how the waiters/waitresses will move around you. Kids in a restaurant only need three tricks tops and you won't find many that don't understand a coin vanishing, cards changing color, sponge balls/bunnies appearing and multiplying.
Those are just examples of tricks for kids. There are tons more. Vanishing silk, chop cup, cardoon, floating dollar, color changing deck, card to pocket, bounce/no bounce-be careful how you present this(it's more of a drop than a bounce). My point is, you can work for everyone at the table just out of your pockets and there are many factors to consider before breaking out a suitcase and stool for what seems to be one or two tricks. Also, if the kids are too young to understand some of the effects listed, they might be too young to perform for.

I have NEVER turned down performing for young children while performing in a restaurant. However, I'll do one routine like the bunnies, move into working for the parents, then close with a chop cup where the kids help. Once again, just trying to give you some options and other views.
Good advice twistedace... thanks
Of course you have to consider the restaurant you work in. Who ever said otherwise? I gave a suggestion of how I would switch a large coloring book for a large group which is what AdamChance asked.

I've worked restaurants for close to 30 years. I work table to table out of my pockets with no mat and no close up case. Occasionally there is a large group, as I mentioned, and it works better to do a few tricks from my kid's show for the whole group.

I've used a stool to hold a briefcase. I've even brought in my suitcase table that I use for my full kids show occasionally. I find a place for it and I check with the guests and waiter that I am not in the way. Never a problem. People love to see a large group of kids galvanized by a magic show. They appreciate that I'm actually making things run smoother in the restaurant.
Mike, I was in no way trying to insult you or your suggestions. Nobody said NOT to consider the restaurant before using the briefcase. I was simply reminding him to think about his own restaurant before using the briefcase idea. I worked an Applebe's for years and it wouldn't have worked there. I also worked a fine Italian restaurant for years, and it wouldn't have worked there either.
Having a stool and briefcase off the to the side might be useful in case you come across any large group (children or adult).

in fact, I should probably find some more tricks that work for larger groups anyways. almost all my tricks are really only good for about 6 people max.

the main tricks I plan on performing are: mini-chop cup, stand up monte, ambitious card (with some other fun signed card stuff). I'm going to have other tricks with me as well (both on my person and in a bag behind the bar or wherever), but my plan is to mainly perform these three tricks (probably only performing one or two of those tricks per table).

the two best tricks that I have at the moment that would work for a group of 10 people or more would probably be the Invisible Deck and Industrial Revelation.... and those ones still aren't great for a big group.

a standard size chop cup routine (maybe like Paul Daniel's routine) could work well for large groups of adults or kids... but I would want a platform that's slightly higher than the table so that everyone could see.

I've never learned any rope stuff... but maybe something like Fiber Optics would work for both large groups of adults and children also.
Lots of good threads here. With lots of wisdom, especially from Chris and Danny and others. Take a long afternoon and browse though them...
The invisible deck is GREAT for large audiences! Instead of working down, hold the cards at chest level so the faces are facing the spectators. This makes it even easier because you're looking at the odd/even cards! Bill Malone has an awesome handling called Standing Ovation Invisble Deck. Check it out! Fiber optics is a great choice. One other suggestion is the Egg Bag for large groups. Good luck!
Ken Brooke used to pitch the Charlie Edwards book. It was a little bigger than a deck of cards and would be great for restaurants, or close-up.

I wonder if there is a market for something like this? I'd have some made up.
You can always make your own coloring book. DAnny Orleans teaches this on his penguin lecture (I believe ) and on his art of performing DVD set. Great routine and I like how great the coloring book comes out and you can choose the theme. Does not scream PROP. you can also get a duplicate ungimmickdd copy.
I would really perform for walk around but do what you feel comfortable. More of a stage or parlor trick. Definately check out Danny 's handling is this classic of magic
-Danny Doyle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait for the time I walk into an upscale steak place and they charge me $20 for a piece of "sizzle".

S.
[quote]
On 2013-08-30 12:44, spatrick wrote:
-Danny Doyle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait for the time I walk into an upscale steak place and they charge me $20 for a piece of "sizzle".

S.
[/quote]

They do it all the time.
I am aware of the blank coloring book used to hand out after doing the magic coloring book. You can do it. However, I would not for several reasons. First, why run when nobody is chasing you. In 20 years of performing the Coloring book, I have never been asked to see the book by anyone, kids or adults. Second. If you start trying to get people to examine your props, then the focus will be on your props and not how well you entertain. They may want to start examining all the stuff and that cuts into your show and the entertainment. Third. It is more stuff to carry around. Now you have to carry two books instead of one. You can do what you want. I just would not do it. Cheers!
Always liked Ricky Jay's presentation and also his special version of the prop. Best version I've seen. The trick goes back before 1584.