(Close Window)
Topic: Torn and Restored Bill
Can anyone tell me about different versions of the torn and restored bill routine and what books or other sources they can be found in?

I really know nothing about it and if Ammar or some other magician has a good routine I'd be excited to find out. I want to get a few things at a shop tomorrow and it'd be nice if a book I could buy would have a torn and restored bill routine.

Thanks for the help.
There are dozens of versions of the torn and restored bill. Some of them are impromptu, some are quite involved, others use gimmicks, some are done with duplicates, there is even a version with one bill only that is more subterfuge than slieght of hand (credit Jack Chanin for this one...).

Your requirements in terms of working conditions, audience size (close-up, stand-up, stage, etc.), skill level, etc. all affect the recommendations I might make.

In addition there are versions that allow the bill to be signed, the serial number to be recorded, a torn corner to be retained by the spectator, all of these "proofs" to be used individually, or in conjunction with one another.

There are comedy versions (the bill is borrowed for something else and inadvertently torn, restored in the wrong configuration, and corrected to allow you to finally finish the primary effect, for instance a bill in cigarette, or bill in lemon...), versions that are done in conjunction with apparent mindreading (revealing the series letter, the date, the treasury secretary at date of issue, the serial number, etc...).

So, the effect you are going for can be a determining factor in your selection of method or artists' renderings of this effect. You need to ask yourself some of the questions prompted by the information above in order to narrow the field and determine what is going to best fit your style and needs.

Some of the older magicians who have produced work along these lines that is quite excellent are people like Al Baker (Mental Magic), Milbourne Christopher (Varied Deceptions), Ross Bertram (The Magic of, Volume 1 or 2), Jack Chanin, Francis Carlyle, Carl Stenquist, etc. Harry Lorayne had an excellent version using a borrowed bill and a little something "extra" that you always have with you. It is in one of his earlier books, possibly "Deck-sterity", which, though basically a card book, did have several non-caard items in it. One of the ways to go is to check "Potters Bar", (I believe that Mickey Hades published this in book form...), for a list of sources for this effect.

There are marketed versions, and though I'm not so up-to-date on the material published in the last ten years, I'm sure the current crop of creative magi have produced some excellent handlings. Certainly Mike Bornstien would have some work on the "Torn and Restored Bill" somewhere in all the paper money magic booklets he produced in the latter part of the last century. Mike specialized for a time in tricks with bills and produced a prodigious amount of material.

Richard Himber wrote several bill tricks up for Genii in the sixties, and I believe one of them was a really clever T&R Bill.

The T&R Bill was a staple of bartender magicians for years (for obvious reasons...), and probably still is. Guys like Johnny Paul, Don Alan, Matt Schulien, Eddie Fechter, Jay Bedsworth, Frank Shields, etc. all experimented with, and in some cases featured, this trick. Some exploration along those lines would no doubt be fruitful.

OK, that's all that comes to mind off, the top of my head. If any of this is helpful, and you have more specific questions as a result of thinking a bit more about your needs, I'll happily look up whatever I can for you, or answer whatever I can using my impossibly faulty memory...

Best, PSC
Wow I asked for a tidbit of info and you practically gave me a 7 course meal!

Thanks! You're information will help me a great deal!
Bradley,

You're welcome, but really, I only set the tone for what I would love to see become a brainstorming session on this effect - there are tons of ways to go, and a lot of good minds here at the Café, to tackle the problem. Let's try to pose some conditions, a plot, a performance venue and/or conditions, and experiment...

Best, PSC
Hello All,
I have been out of the loop for a while, but seem to be getting that bug to start performing again, Life's problems have succeeded in drawing me away from what I love to do, but it looks like the Good Lord has blessed me with a bit of a rest period where things ar working out for a change.. its nice to be back.. anyway, on to the subject, I have used a combination of "Billoon" and "Torn and restored signed bill" for some time now.. you borrow a bill, incorperate the "torched and Restored" moves from Brent Braun on a bill, and continue with the "billoon ending.. gets a great reaction.
Any other creative ideas?
Tom :spinningcoin:
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Dec 11, 2003 08:04AM)
I thought about this for a while...

Wouldn't it be more 'intersting' if the thing that you tear up was an INVOICE?
I have played with several different torn and restored bills over the years (almost as many as Chosse outlines above). Of all that I have tried two seem to stay in my repertory.

The first is really the $100.00 Bill Switch. It is essentially taking a borrowed bill and openly tearing it up then restoring it only to find that it has been restored “miss-made”. The miss-made is then made right and the bill is returned to the spectator. I believe that this is an old Harry Anderson routine. I took Anderson’s advice and made my own miss-made bills with torn/jagged outer edges. It looks like a torn bill restored wrong!

The second version is actually the one I perform the most often. It is a torn and restored SIGNED bill. I learned it from Sam Berland back in the mid 1970’s when I was living in Chicago (actually living in Des Plains but who doesn’t associate Des Plains with John Wayne Gasey?!?).

Berland's version takes some preparation (in fact, Osterling, in a stroke of genius or independently, took the idea and used newspaper and created a torn and restored, signed, newspaper).

In the routine the bill is signed by a number of audience members on one side and the performer on the other. Thus the bill is seen signed on both sides. The signatures are seen on the individual torn pieces as the bill is openly torn. When the bill is restored all the signatures are intact! It is a wonderful routine (typical of Sam Berland’s thinking).

The only downside is that it does take a bit of preparation. But as Gene Anderson is fond of saying (about his torn and restored newspaper) “find a trick that is a big bother to prepare and you will have a trick that only you will perform!”
Jeff McBride has a torn and restored bill in his "The Magic of Jeff McBride" video set.
Sanky have a version in his Real Magic video where an edge of a bill is torn off, eaten, then within seconds fully restored. Method is great but the bill is not examinable at the end, so best to switch it out or just use your own.
You can find a version of a T&R bill in Mark Wilson (either the "Cyclopedia" or Complete Course").

It's the same workings you find in a lot of T&R paper effects. You don't have to use this only for bills.

:magicrabbit:
[quote]
On 2003-12-11 10:46, Harry Murphy wrote:

The first is really the $100.00 Bill Switch. It is essentially taking a borrowed bill and openly tearing it up then restoring it only to find that it has been restored “miss-made”. The miss-made is then made right and the bill is returned to the spectator. I believe that this is an old Harry Anderson routine. I took Anderson’s advice and made my own miss-made bills with torn/jagged outer edges. It looks like a torn bill restored wrong!
[/quote]
How do you make your own mis-made bills? Do you just buy them and tear up the edges, or do you actually make the whole thing.
The U.S. Treasury Bureau of Engraving and Printing sells uncut sheets of bills. You just cut it up so suit yourself.

http://www.moneyfactory.com/store/section.cfm/69
Harry's version is Buffalo Bill (with himber wallet), unless you were speaking about something else.

Ellen
I think the coolest one which I still want to find the exact handling from is from Gregory Willsons On the Spot video. The one he does as a quickie. It really gets the eyes out on stalks. Does anyone here know where I can get the exact handling and name as sometimes I actually do tear the bill.

Thanks

Kyle :rotf:
Tim Ellis has a wonderful torn and restored bill in his lecture notes.
The book in concert (roger klause)has a wonderful t&r bill using his handling of the $100.00 bill switch.
also a good portion of that book deals with the switch including several bill routines.
Jim Ryan's version is the one most Chicago Bar Magicians do. He published it in a booklets.

Bill
Jim ryan's handling is a classic and quite easy too.
Tom Mullica does a great one. I think he may have learned it from Ryan.
The Sam Berland method sounds fantastic, other than the Osterlind DVD is there any other sources you can recommend to learn this routine. Thanks.

Joe
I have seen magicians that borrow a bill, tear a corner off, give to the spectator to keep in case something happens to the bill and then the bill is tore into many pieces in front of the spectator. later the bill is found restored in a lemon, with the missing corner which the spec is holding and all matches.

I know that when the bill is tore, the corner given to the spectator is switched to match the one you want, but here is my big question. I also know that the bill tore in many pieces is not the real borrowed bill, that there was a switch. but the bill looks like a real one.

It is illegal to duplicate us currency, so I am trying to find out what you would use in these situations. I have several tricks that I am working on to use this process, but don't want to break the law doing it. And don't want to have to tape all my pieces back and send into us treasury for replacements.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Two effects that are hard to beat and are very visual
are
Johnny Herose's rip -it Revolutionzed

Dusheck's Dollar Steve Dusheck

ri-it is non gimmicked

dusheck dollar is gimmicked how ever steve also has an un gimmicked verson

vinny
I think I remember seeing the same effect as MAGIC OF JAMES said but with a slight difference, the last torn is made by the spectator and in this way I don't see how can a switch can be made ???
Do I remember well, is this effect possible ?
[quote]
On 2005-03-18 19:18, vinsmagic wrote:
are

ri-it is non gimmicked

vinny
[/quote]

Vinny,
I agree with you on the Dushek Dollar. Fold a bill in half, take a knife and cut it in two than restore it. This is extremly visual magic.

The goos news is I hear Steve Dushek is going to lecture again. This is incredible news!

Jeff Pierce
[quote]On Mar 18, 2005, vinsmagic wrote:
are

ri-it is non gimmicked

vinny [/quote]

Where are they found.
Do to degrading health, Steve Dusheck is not selling any of his DVDs. I reached out to him earlier this year, and he was unable supply anything.

He also lost all his material do to his computer hard drive failure.
I just found out a year or so ago, that the original Bill to Lemon was performed by actually tearing up a real Dollar Bill. Remember, there were no copy machines back when this was created, not computers, no printers, nothing. So if you seen a performance by someone they may have really did the original version. Some people do not value a Dollar as much as the next person.

I found the original version in the book "The Texan Trickster" by John Moehring. John Moehring passed away in 2017. I cannot find his self published book with a search.

I wonder who obtained all those copies of his book? It is a great book on a few of his stage effects he used in the Ed Sullivan show performance.
Deposit by Marcus Eddie is very easy to perform and requires a simple one time setup.
TOGETHER by Chris Hanowell is a great effect that ends with the final tear being restored in a spectators hand.