(Close Window)
Topic: Postcards effect resources
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 12:30PM)
I watched Dynamo's tv show last wednesday and am baffled that I have yet to learn the postcards effect he does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXcsEPnq3c

I like the atmosphere of this trick and want to add it to my closeup and parlor shows pronto. Can nyone point me in the right direction for good resources. In the same episode he lays a deck of cards down on a spec's table and asks them to pick it up. At first it gets very heavy. Then they're unable to do it at all, as if its stuck to the table. I wont go in to what "I think it is" but its so powerful when he just picks the deck up and says bye. Must seem so impossible for the spec.
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 12:32PM)
The card one must've been contrived from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AeUuGv7Euk
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 24, 2013 01:02PM)
We're unwilling to discuss methods in this forum. Inner Thoughts is more appropriate, although many (including me) find it bad form to reverse-engineer other performers' effects.

Regardless, you don't need to know how *he* did it. You'll be able to work out your own method I am sure. If it's the same effect who cares about the method?

T.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 24, 2013 01:12PM)
I couldn't agree more, Ted. I don't understand why so many see an original effect on television and immediately want to appropriate it for their own shows.

And why would someone want to copy an effect that everyone has just seen on TV?

To be known as a copycat?
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Aug 24, 2013 01:25PM)
I don't always get this either but it seems to be more popular these days than I care for.
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Aug 24, 2013 03:39PM)
It is always the same story: Max thinks he is a great magintalist (or whatever). He is unhappy not to get the common attention he thinks he deserves. The fact and only the fact that he knows a secret which his audience doesn’t know (yet) sets him apart from it. But Max is happy, he doesn’t realize that.

Max watches TV with friends and family. They see something they like. Max gets a clever idea: If he could do the same people would adore him. After all it was shown on TV. So if Max could do the same he could have been on TV as well. Max is too late. But he still could claim and prove to do the same what they have seen on TV. Great! So people who know Max would think: Max is great, he is so good he could be on TV.

Now Max knows what to do :).
Jan
Message: Posted by: parmenion (Aug 24, 2013 03:46PM)
I got my postcard in the souvenirs shop or to the post office.
Please, don't copy me, I'm sure you can find some others place to get postcards.
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Aug 24, 2013 03:46PM)
I must defend Maven and say that I think at times he has come up with his own ideas and material.
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Aug 24, 2013 03:50PM)
:) ... My Max is Little Max, we call him also Little Fritz...
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 03:59PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-24 14:02, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
We're unwilling to discuss methods in this forum. Inner Thoughts is more appropriate, although many (including me) find it bad form to reverse-engineer other performers' effects.

Regardless, you don't need to know how *he* did it. You'll be able to work out your own method I am sure. If it's the same effect who cares about the method?

T.
[/quote]

Oh perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm interested in purchasing resources to learn an effect and make it my own. The same as I do when I see a card effect demo and purchase an effect. don't care about the method now and have no intention of "wanting" the method now. Just resources so I can learn and make it my own.
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 04:02PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-24 16:46, parmenion wrote:
I got my postcard in the souvenirs shop or to the post office.
Please, don't copy me, I'm sure you can find some others place to get postcards.
[/quote]

Oh Parmenion .. so glad you could drop by. I actually look forward to it. :)
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 04:04PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-24 14:12, mastermindreader wrote:
I couldn't agree more, Ted. I don't understand why so many see an original effect on television and immediately want to appropriate it for their own shows.

And why would someone want to copy an effect that everyone has just seen on TV?

To be known as a copycat?
[/quote]

So am I to assume you've never in your life been inspired by an effect you saw say as a child and consequently wanted ot learn it and/or make it your own? Sorry .. a bit hard to believe. But if Im wrong and every effect you have in your working repetoire has been your absolute own creation than I do apologize for the assumption. I have something very creative and different in mind. Is this not how magic evolves? A copy cat I am not I can assure you. Somebody should tell Bill Malone that he didn't invent Skinner's 3 card Monte and thus he has no right to include it in his show as it makes him a copycat. Silly if you ask me.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 24, 2013 04:31PM)
You're free to think whatever you like. What do I know anyway?

But I'll tell you one thing- I've never seen someone do an effect on television and immediately inquire as to how I can put that effect into my own act "pronto."

[quote]I like the atmosphere of this trick and want to add it to my closeup and parlor shows pronto.[/quote]

That doesn't really sound like just being inspired by something and developing it to "make it your own." Those things don't really happen "pronto."
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 24, 2013 05:16PM)
Not only do things rarely happen pronto, but especially so when translated from TV. The "rules" are different.
T.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Aug 24, 2013 05:19PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-24 17:31, mastermindreader wrote:
You're free to think whatever you like. What do I know anyway?

But I'll tell you one thing- I've never seen someone do an effect on television and immediately inquire as to how I can put that effect into my own act "pronto."

[quote]I like the atmosphere of this trick and want to add it to my closeup and parlor shows pronto.[/quote]

That doesn't really sound like just being inspired by something and developing it to "make it your own." Those things don't really happen "pronto."
[/quote]

I can only add that anything I've done for a mass media audience has taken a considerable amount of my time to perfect. I have failed miserably if this can be done "pronto" by any viewer! I suppose I am agreeing with Bob Cassidy on this, then again, who is he anyway!
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 05:19PM)
All I can say is that I respect all of you and I apologize if I ruffled any tail feathers. I said pronto in a state of excitement. What I meant was that I'd like to get working on it pronto. I can see how this can be misinterpreted now though.
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 05:20PM)
Hope I cleared up the "pronto" thing. I already do something larger with postcards and I have several idea percolating. My effect would look nothing like the one seen on t.v and yes, with the construction, practice and rehearsal it may well take a year to perfect and get in to my show. I don't copy anything nor do I half-a** anything. I'd like to get "working on it" pronto.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 24, 2013 05:31PM)
Thanks for the clarification. But if you go through the archives of the Café you'll find hundreds of posts by guys who've just seen an excellent routine on routine and want to know where they can buy it so that they can immediately put it into their acts. And when they do, it is usually a word for word copy of what they've seen on TV.

Personally, when an effect gets wide television exposure I recommend NOT putting it into your own act. I'd rather not be remembered as the performer who does the exact same thing as "the guy on TV."
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 05:34PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-24 18:31, mastermindreader wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. But if you go through the archives of the Café you'll find hundreds of posts by guys who've just seen an excellent routine on routine and want to know where they can buy it so that they can immediately put it into their acts. And when they do, it is usually a word for word copy of what they've seen on TV.

Personally, when an effect gets wide television exposure I recommend NOT putting it into your own act. I'd rather not be remembered as the performer who does the exact same thing as "the guy on TV."
[/quote]

You know what? I very much respect your work and will take your advice on this one. I am indeed as nauseated as you are when effects/patter are copied word for word. I can assure you I am not one of them. I read my initial post again and I see where you all are coming from. I will venture in to the deep dark realms of my own cognitive faculties to come up with something ---> That "wasn't" just shown on television.

Thanks guys,

Jeff
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 24, 2013 06:18PM)
I'm glad to hear that. Always strive for originality in your approach and effects. You'll find that it's a lot more gratifying to get a great response from material you created yourself than from commercial effects done out of the box.

And, in the end, you'll be remembered as the guy who did UNIQUE things that they'd never seen before.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 24, 2013 08:13PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-24 19:18, mastermindreader wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. Always strive for originality in your approach and effects. You'll find that it's a lot more gratifying to get a great response from material you created yourself than from commercial effects done out of the box.

And, in the end, you'll be remembered as the guy who did UNIQUE things that they'd never seen before.

Good thoughts,

Bob
[/quote]

Agreed. Thanks for the insight.
Message: Posted by: Pomyles (Aug 25, 2013 05:42AM)
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.”
Seneca

Many people think they are not creative. They don't feel enthusiasm about working on their own creations because they are affraid. They need more help than judgements to transform stealing into inspiration.
Message: Posted by: boydy (Aug 25, 2013 10:35AM)
Come on folks.

I bet effects you perform you learned from books or DVD's. Surely you don't perform everything that you created yourself...

You have to start somewhere give the guy a break
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 25, 2013 11:04AM)
Of course we have. But that's not what the conversation is about. I was discussing copying presentations seen on television.
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 25, 2013 12:35PM)
Thanks for the back up Boydy. I initially thought the same way. Like who hasnt been inspired by an effect and went out and bought it. Magic shops would be out of business if that were the case and I know for a fact even the greats have taken effects they have been inspired by and performed them. I think that Bob is basically saying "why would you want to do something seen on television. That means everybody (or many many people) have already been exposed to it. Consequently it will be less powerful than an effect not seen on tv". I still may pursue the "postcard effect" because the effect I was thinking about has nothing to do with postcards. In fact everything is completely different except for the seemingly impossible climax whereby the 2 spec's somehow, impossibly choose the correct, matching objects. Bob's actually one of my magic hero's so I feel privileged even having a conversation with him.
Message: Posted by: John C (Aug 25, 2013 01:40PM)
Bob just responded based on a history of posts about I saw this trick where can I get it or that's what I want to do.

If your tone is different then the responses you get will be more helpful. One can usually tell from the initial post whether someone is sincerely interested in persuing a like effect or wanting to be like that guy on TV.

Because you said.... I like the atmosphere of this trick and want to add it to my closeup and parlor shows pronto. What does that mean? Does it mean what it says?

Or does it mean,

Man, this is the kind of stuff I'd like to present. Where can I learn these concepts.

We can only answer as to what is written. what we say and what we mean are often two entirely different things. Some folks that post don't find the time to put their thoughts into words to promote their thoughts and meaning. They just want to get to meat of it and are usually taken literally for meaning rather than what they really meant.

The members of the Café don't have time either to try and figure out what someone meant to say. That's too much work. So we can only respond to their written words.

Take a little more time in the initial post and communicate more clearly with no ambiguity. You will receive more help and more meaningful assistance.

That's what I think anyway. Hope that's clear and meaningful.

J
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 25, 2013 01:50PM)
John-

What do you mean? :eek:
Message: Posted by: TheMag1cian (Aug 25, 2013 03:41PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 14:40, John C wrote:
Bob just responded based on a history of posts about I saw this trick where can I get it or that's what I want to do.

If your tone is different then the responses you get will be more helpful. One can usually tell from the initial post whether someone is sincerely interested in persuing a like effect or wanting to be like that guy on TV.

Because you said.... I like the atmosphere of this trick and want to add it to my closeup and parlor shows pronto. What does that mean? Does it mean what it says?

Or does it mean,

Man, this is the kind of stuff I'd like to present. Where can I learn these concepts.

We can only answer as to what is written. what we say and what we mean are often two entirely different things. Some folks that post don't find the time to put their thoughts into words to promote their thoughts and meaning. They just want to get to meat of it and are usually taken literally for meaning rather than what they really meant.

The members of the Café don't have time either to try and figure out what someone meant to say. That's too much work. So we can only respond to their written words.

Take a little more time in the initial post and communicate more clearly with no ambiguity. You will receive more help and more meaningful assistance.

That's what I think anyway. Hope that's clear and meaningful.

J
[/quote]

Hi John. Thanks but I feel like this has already been cleared up by Mr. Cassidy and I. Kind of overkill now. I'm not sure I can change "tone" in anything typed on a keyboard but I certainely can agree that I should've been more concise about my intentions. It was a classic case of "excitement" which was strongly correlated with some "impulsive typing". I want to start "working" on my project (that looks nothing like the one on tv) pronto. Thanks for stopping by and reiterating what Bob and I have already solved though. I will definitely enhance the semantics of my OP's.
Message: Posted by: John C (Aug 25, 2013 03:58PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 14:50, mastermindreader wrote:
John-

What do you mean? :eek:
[/quote]

Exactly what TheMag1cian responded to below you.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 25, 2013 04:10PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 16:58, John C wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 14:50, mastermindreader wrote:
John-

What do you mean? :eek:
[/quote]

Exactly what TheMag1cian responded to below you.
[/quote]

John-

My "What do you mean?" was intended as a joke, playing off the last sentence of your post that I was responding to. I thought the "eek" face at the end of my question was a dead giveaway!

:eek:
Message: Posted by: John C (Aug 25, 2013 07:24PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 14:50, mastermindreader wrote:
John-

What do you mean? :eek:
[/quote]

Exactly what TheMag1cian responded to below you.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 25, 2013 07:35PM)
I'm having an episode of deja vu!
Message: Posted by: John C (Aug 25, 2013 08:26PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 20:35, mastermindreader wrote:
I'm having an episode of deja vu!
[/quote]

... all over again.
Message: Posted by: Trickstar (Aug 25, 2013 11:15PM)
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 16:41, TheMag1cian wrote:
I'm not sure I can change "tone" in anything typed on a keyboard but I certainely can agree that I should've been more concise about my intentions. It was a classic case of "excitement" which was strongly correlated with some "impulsive typing".
[/quote]

Arj Barker suggests that we need some new fonts to help with this kind of situation i.e. fonts thathelp to communicate tone, 3 of his suggestions were:
Sarcastica
Good Times New Roman
Go to Hellvetica

Although he says this in jest I for one would embrace the idea.... never really got the hang of emoticons for this myself