(Close Window)
Topic: The Tarot Reader's Notebook
Is this book on the Tarot and cold reading any good?

http://floraco.safeshopper.com/7/90.htm?229
I could be a smart alec and just say yes but I'll elaborate.

Cold Reading is something you master through experience. You need help from other sources to gather some initial knowledge and this book is one of the best sources out there. It is not a book of stock lines, in fact it doesn't even tell you how to read the cards.

I'd say it's a must have for any aspiring reader. However, I wouldn't say it's a beginners book. If you're looking for a book that'll teach you how to read tarot then you're better off getting a book that treats the subject legitimately. In fact, buy this and a good book on tarot. The book has one of the best bibliographies in any cold reading book and if you follow his advice on what to read you will become an excellent reader.

Regards,

David.
Thanks David

I've already got several 'legit' books on tarot.

I've also got Ian Rowlands Cold Reading Book, Brad Henderson's Dance book, Red Hot Cold Reading and King Of The Cold Readers by Dewey

I was just intrigued that this was a tarot specific approach
Hi Bev,

Given the books you already have you may well find much of it repeated in the Tarot Readers Notebook, however I still think it is worthwhile. Ron is a reader with years of experience and you might find a few surprises.

Given that it's the price of a reading or two I'd say go for it.

Regards,

David.
Bev,

I'll second David's response.

It's a good book drawn from years of experience. Martin doesn't teach the meaning of the cards, but does share his ideas on presentation and philosophy. And scattered throughout are many useful lines and observations.

The book is unstructured and conversational, the kind of book that -- if read repeatedly -- will teach you a lot, although it may be hard to pinpoint specifically what it taught you...

Gregg Tobo
Sorry for this maybe not relevant thread digging, but I smiled while reading it. I found this thread during a search...nostalgia, nostalgia?...almost 6 years old, and a proof that we almost all go along the same way when learning :)

Enjoy you day!

M.
I did want to get this, but after going to one of Ian Rowland's lectures and watching him do his cold reading stuff, I am quite tempted to buy his cold reading book. I'll probably come back and buy this Tarot Reader's notebook at a later stage.
Very highly recommended!