(Close Window)
Topic: Bruce Bernstein's Separation Anxiety
Bruce has done it again. Separation Anxiety is a breathtaking version of OOTW. Just 20 cards, the participant deals them out and wham, bam, thank you Bruce, a perfect separation!

As if that isn't enough, he teaches a second phase that allows you to immedediately repeat the effect with an elegant twist. It builds perfectly on top of the first and you end clean (as you do if you want to stop at the first phase). Just $25 for a very detailed 16 page PDF with 3 embedded videos.

This can be presented as a demo of the participant's psychic abilities, your own skill at mind control/subliminal suggestion or both. I could go on at great length extolling all of the virtues of Bruce's presentation and methods but better you read the full description and reviews from the pros [url=http://www.brucembernstein.com/product.html]HERE[/url]
I have this. It's certainly a beautiful thing. Very easy and a fooler.
Very, very clever, indeed!

e
Waiting for mine to appear in my inbox.

Steve
WOW. Just dealt through mine for the first time. That's AMAZING.
WOW. Just dealt through mine for the first time. That's AMAZING.
Got this last week - really well-disguised brilliance.
Good afternoon,
which email address did you use to order the pdf ? I sent an email to BruceMBernstein@sbcglobal.net but I received no reply

Thanks
That's the email address I used late last week and got it.

I performed it over the weekend, and I really like the kicker in the 2nd phase (after telling them they will imagine that the card is red, I wait until they actually tell me the card is red before performing the second phase).
I'm awaiting a reply as well but I'm sure Bruce is just busy and he'll get to it when he can.
There's no real rush and I'm sure, like his other stuff, it will be worth waiting for.

Tony
And indeed Bruce has just replied so the email address is correct.

Everything comes to he who waits :)
Just in case people are waiting what may seem a little long for their PDF from Bruce......

I ordered on Monday but saw nothing coming in.
Bruce saw my post above and re-sent the file.
It came through straight away.

On further investigation I found that the original had gone into my spam for some reason.
So if you are waiting it may pay to check your spam folders.

Steve
I got this a couple days ago---Bruce never disappoints. Very nice!
I received it too. My email sent to him went in his spam folder. Anyway I was able to spoke to him and I received the file correctly.

Regards
I have to echo those before me and say "Wow". This is as good as it gets. It really is. Not only a fantastic OOTW routine (one of the best), but I learn so much studying such a well thought out, beautifully structured routine. Lately, I've shied away from the one effect PDF's because, although some are clever, I find many of them to be hastily put together, highly derivative and lacking the nuisances that comes from material that is audience and time test. But with Mr. Bernstein's name attached I knew that this wouldn't be the case with Separation Anxiety.
Received this today and I've just finished my first 'walk through' with cards in hand.

Put simply, this is fantastic.

The routine is very well structured, with a brilliant way to (sort of) point out the method to the spectator and have them thinking you're some kind of psychological genius. The second phase is such a lovely idea, as well as being very strong and the whole thing is quite easy to do. Once again Bruce has proved why he's as highly respected as he is. More than worth the money.

I'm also thinking that this might make a fantastic follow up to Atlas Brooking and Andrew Brown's 'The Crusade'

Tony
I purchased this and followed along while reading with cards in my hand. I'm keenly interested in OOTW and color sensing routines, and in this one Mr. Bernstein has incorporated some of my favorite ruses from previous work. Of course for this new machine not only has he carefully given credit where it's due, he's also designed several creative cogs of his own... what else would you expect from a guy who's won PEA awards for both creativity and outstanding contributions to mentalism? It wasn't a hard decision to buy this.

I feel when performing OOTW casually for one person it's okay to use the entire deck so long as you keep them speaking or engaged. It can be harder for some performers to keep onlookers engaged during a full-deck deal. Not a problem here as this only uses 20 cards (though you could use more if desired). I'll need to test drive Separation Anxiety for real people but my first reaction is "this is solid". For casual one-on-one work I'll continue to use Derren Brown's two-pile approach (when onlookers show up midway and make me nervous, Mr. Brown's ending can be ditched in favor of Paul Harris' less-risky "Galaxy" clean-up). Eugene Burger's way of performing Grant's Nu-Way OOTW is important to have in my memory. However, for working in up-close venues filled with onlookers (or maybe even raucous drunks), SA is a strong choice and I think $25 for a "worker" like this is well spent. Nice work, Bruce, and thanks for being dissatisfied with it until it was just right.
Where was Derren's handling published?
[quote]
On 2013-08-28 23:19, bdekolta wrote:
[/quote]

In his DVD set, "The Devil's Picturebook". You can see a later, edited version of his final unpublished routine here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noE1yf5LqYQ I imagine it still requires bold confidence. Alternatively, Separation Anxiety could be performed on live TV without cutaways.
Thanks.
Is this card specific or can it port over to other papery items ok? photos? postcards? or does the handling make that difficult? ta...
Hey Iain, yes you can do so. Bruce mentions a version with business cards in the ebook.

~ Nique
Thanks!
Well, if you ever bought anything from Mr Bernstein in the past you won't hesitate to give him more money ever!

I think it's cool the way you can pull out a full deck and say, let's just use some cards. And deal 20 off the top. Now you're in business.

Or, yes IAIN, you can do this with biz cards. And I suppose ESP cards.
I've studied many versions of this effect and perform several of them both impromptu and with preparation. I have a shorter version with less than a full deck as well as a longer version that I perform in a formal setting. Why would I want to replace my other versions with this one. What does it offer that the others don't? I'm a big fan of Bruce Bermstein and don't doubt this is very good but what advantages does it have that the others don't?
Steve
Steve, this detailed description might help you decide. http://brucembernstein.com/saeffect.html
I think if, like me, you're a big fan of the OOTW plot, then you really will appreciate the thinking and structure of this routine. For me, that alone is worth the money.
I have this... and like it.
But as Bruce himself credits, it builds on the terrific work of Jon Armstrong, Brad Henderson and Martin Gardner.

I do like the routine, but if it's the OOTW work specifically you're looking for, and you already have Armstrong's routine...

d
True, but if you do have Armstrong, you still don't have the second part of this routine, or the psychological reveal at the end.
This is one of those times I loathe the asterisk censoring of The Café. But, I'll self-censor: the routines are excellent and the final reveal is an absolute mind****! ;)

Best,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 22:41, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
True, but if you do have Armstrong, you still don't have the second part of this routine, or the psychological reveal at the end.
[/quote]

This is a very important argument! I like the very clever thinking behind it. Who knows Armstrong's routine gains still a lot. I have to be so honest to admit that I skipped inadvertently his routine in "Best of all Worlds". So thanks to Bruce to direct me also there and to Brad Henderson.
Personally I would do a mix in the first phase (Berntein / Armstrong) and leave the second phase as it is. Jan
We are one in the same, Jan! I too had skipped over OOTWBBB, and only revisited it after getting SA. I now use the Armstrong clean up for phase 1.
:)
Sounds great, just emailed him to order it :)
Do any of you cats start this off by taking twenty cards off the top and go into it? Or do you simply pull out twenty cards?
I just have 20 cards.
I'd love to know the performing conditions needed for this. Can it be done from a borrowed shuffled deck? Is there much of a set up? I might want to purchase this but only if it something I feel I'll actually use. That would mean being able to do it from a borrowed shuffled deck with minimum or no setting up. Thanks.
Steve
Yes, there are options you could do so. Jan
Minimum setup. Can use borrowed shuffled deck not the way its designed or not the way to maximize its use.

Steve this is a darn good effect. Well worth your time. Borrowed shuffled deck or not. Don't pass this up.
I agree with John's assessment...

I have purchased this and it is certainly up to Bruce's typical high standard. I have not performed this, but from a structural standpoint, my opinion is that "Separation Anxiety" is among a small group of "best" solutions for my needs. Easily worth the price of admission. Highly recommended (as is any of Bruce's material).

With Regards,

Sean
I've had a chance to road test this routine for the past week, and it's been such a treat to perform. I've used some variation of OOTW for several years, but Separation Anxiety is quickly becoming my favorite. Only using 20 cards keeps things moving along, I love not having to use reference cards for red & black, the second phase of this routine beautifully builds off of the first phase, and the psychology reveal at the end is a terrific capper. Can't recommend this enough!
[quote]
On 2013-08-28 23:26, Mike Ince wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-28 23:19, bdekolta wrote:
[/quote]

In his DVD set, "The Devil's Picturebook". You can see a later, edited version of his final unpublished routine here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noE1yf5LqYQ I imagine it still requires bold confidence. Alternatively, Separation Anxiety could be performed on live TV without cutaways.
[/quote]

Ha, I liked the nod to Paul Curry at the spot 3 minutes, 17 seconds in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noE1yf5LqYQ#t=3m17s

But concerning Separation Anxiety, I'm familiar with John Armstrong's "Out of this Blah" but I'm probably getting this as well, seems really great.
I love that DB clip. The look on the undertaker's face shows how hard the effect hit home. He was absolutely stunned.
So where do we buy this?
 http://brucembernstein.com/saeffect.htm

[quote]
On 2013-09-25 03:47, MT wrote:
So where do we buy this?
[/quote]

Review the thread and ye shall find.
Also being sold on Penguin now
I purchased 'Separation Anxiety' hesitantly as I know a few versions of OOTW that use 20 cards and are very practical mind blowers. I like Bruce's method but will still use Daryl's 'Out of this Hemisphere' and J.K. Hartman's 'World Class' most of the time. They both are equally (if not more)deceptive than Bruce's and Ed Marlo, Sid Lorraine, Michael Weber, Ken Krenzel, Jon Racherbaumer and Larry Jennings' contributions to Daryl's trick provides great variety and all for just $10. But yes, I agree that Bruce's illusion is very good.

http://www.daryl.net/product_detail.php?id=509
[quote]
On 2013-09-29 09:57, Jack wrote:
I purchased 'Separation Anxiety' hesitantly as I know a few versions of OOTW that use 20 cards and are very practical mind blowers. I like Bruce's method but will still use Daryl's 'Out of this Hemisphere' and J.K. Hartman's 'World Class' most of the time. They both are equally (if not more)deceptive than Bruce's and Ed Marlo, Sid Lorraine, Michael Weber, Ken Krenzel, Jon Racherbaumer and Larry Jennings' contributions to Daryl's trick provides great variety and all for just $10. But yes, I agree that Bruce's illusion is very good.

[/quote]

Daryl should take PayPal. I was ready to part with my money.
Here's my review on Separation Anxiety:

I'm never doing another OOTW. Fast, easy, fun, baffling, and a kicker that feels like mind control instead of a card trick. The way the second part slightly differs from the first part is genius.

Should be called OOTWTF.

Why can't all stuff be this simple and practical!
[quote]
On 2013-09-29 09:57, Jack wrote:

[/quote]

Daryl should take PayPal. I was ready to part with my money.
[quote]
On 2013-09-29 18:17, bevbevvybev wrote:
Here's my review on Separation Anxiety:

I'm never doing another OOTW. Fast, easy, fun, baffling, and a kicker that feels like mind control instead of a card trick. The way the second part slightly differs from the first part is genius.

Should be called OOTWTF.

Why can't all stuff be this simple and practical!
[/quote]

Because most mentalist come from magicians and feel they must prove everything. Shuffle, cut, all different no fakes. Etc.
While there will always be a move or a discrepancy in OOTW, the moves seem particularly unnatural here. I've studied a lot of variations on the the Curry classic and have yet to see anything that improves upon Lorayne's Impromptu OOTW.
Hmmm, Lorayne huh? I'm not sure if I've seen it but am definitely intrigued. Do you remember where you learned it or where it's available?
After playing with Bruce's illusion I can definitely see it's merits. It is the most self-working variation. I made up a set as per his suggestions, put it in a nice little wallet and tossed it inside my packet trick pocket. I do, and if you're new to this premise, recommend learning Daryl's trick and if you're going to fork out this much money for a single card illusion, then what's an extra $10? The reason I say this is that Bruce's trick needs more table space to perform and Daryl's trick doesn't, and it's a great trick and value. So that way, just for $10 more you'll have two mind blowing packet versions of OOTW to broaden your magical horizon with muggles.
Which do you consider stronger, Bruces version or Daryls?
Does Separation Anxiety have ANY sleight of hand?

Regards,
Mike

[quote]
On 2013-09-30 20:05, Platt wrote:
While there will always be a move or a discrepancy in OOTW, the moves seem particularly unnatural here. I've studied a lot of variations on the the Curry classic and have yet to see anything that improves upon Lorayne's Impromptu OOTW.
[/quote]
Insight wondered:[quote]Does Separation Anxiety have ANY sleight of hand?[/quote]

Depends on how you define "sleight of hand". If you mean, "something happening that the audience doesn't see", then the answer is "Yes." If you mean, "some tricky/difficult manipulative card move", then the answer is "No."
Thank you. That answers my question. One more before I purchase: can the performer ensure that the outcome is 1) ALWAYS that there are 10 cards in both piles, and 2) ALWAYS separated by black and red (or at least perceived that way by the subject)?

Regards,
Mike

[quote]
On 2013-10-03 19:54, ddyment wrote:
Insight wondered:[quote]Does Separation Anxiety have ANY sleight of hand?[/quote]

Depends on how you define "sleight of hand". If you mean, "something happening that the audience doesn't see", then the answer is "Yes." If you mean, "some tricky/difficult manipulative card move", then the answer is "No."
[/quote]
Yes.
Yes.
[quote]
On 2013-09-30 21:35, Jack wrote:
Lorayne's "Impromptu OOTW": Do you remember where you learned it or where it's available?
[/quote]

Jack: It's in MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS and LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION VOL. 1
Could someone compare Loraynes impromptu which I have been doing for many years and Seperation Anxiety. What are the advantages of each?
Steve
[quote]
On 2013-10-04 11:15, Steve Suss wrote:
Could someone compare Loraynes impromptu which I have been doing for many years and Seperation Anxiety. What are the advantages of each?
Steve
[/quote]

A lot of this obviously comes down to personal opinion. I knew immediately upon receiving the full performance of 'separation anxiety' is wasn't for me. There are a few reasons I don't love it.

1. It has 3 phases. Why? The brilliance of OOTW is that it can be described in one sentence- I separated the black cards from the red cards perfectly. That's amazing enough.
2. The 'move' (which every ootw has) is at the worst possible time. To me, it look very unmotivated, unnecessary and tricky. And the discrepancy is glaring.
3. It starts with a 'packet.' While perhaps easier to carry around, it's less relatable than pulling cards from an everyday borrowed shuffled deck.

Why I believe Lorayne's impromptu version is the best (for me)

1. You can do it anytime, anywhere using any shuffled deck.
2. By performing the first half, you very sneakily set up for the second half (time efficient with zilch spectator suspicion)
3. You can use as many or as few cards as you like.
4. The motivation for switching up the red and black marker cards is 100% natural.
5. Like Curry's original, the 'move' can naturally be done on an offbeat (not that it has to be).
6. If the spectator tries to mess with you (lays down all reds) this version gives you as much time as you need to manage/correct the situation.
It has two phases ;)... and I can get your point. That's why I wrote before:
"Personally I would do a mix in the first phase (Berntein / Armstrong) and leave the second phase as it is." Jan
Yes two phases. And if you want to pull 20 cards out of a full deck you certainly can.
Plus this one is geared more towards mentalism as in an experiment.

Not as a card trick.
Hi,
From the official description, phase 1 looks exactly similar to the version described by Pete McCabe in his famous book Scripting Magic.
Does anybody knows both versions and could detail if there is actually a difference between this phase 1 and Pete McCabe version? Does this one adds any value?
Thanks,
[quote]
On 2013-10-03 20:39, insight wrote:
One more before I purchase: can the performer ensure that the outcome is 1) ALWAYS that there are 10 cards in both piles, and 2) ALWAYS separated by black and red (or at least perceived that way by the subject)?
[/quote]

I am also curious about this question. If the spectator is freely dealing the cards into two piles, what prevents them from putting 15 cards in one pile, and only five in the other pile? If they do that, it would be difficult to convince them that they dealt 10 cards into each pile.
Because that would defeat the purpose of the experiment.
They're aware that there are "roughly" ten red and ten black.

d
I am also curious about this question. If the spectator is freely dealing the cards into two piles, what prevents them from putting 15 cards in one pile, and only five in the other pile? If they do that, it would be difficult to convince them that they dealt 10 cards into each pile.[quote]
On 2013-10-31 19:57, BustedFinger wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-10-03 20:39, insight wrote:
One more before I purchase: can the performer ensure that the outcome is 1) ALWAYS that there are 10 cards in both piles, and 2) ALWAYS separated by black and red (or at least perceived that way by the subject)?

[/quote]

It's called audience management. It's the difference between a pro and an amateur. You control your environment without them thinking you r.
[quote]
On 2013-10-31 20:05, dmoses wrote:
Because that would defeat the purpose of the experiment.
They're aware that there are "roughly" ten red and ten black.

d
[/quote]
From the description of the effect, I thought there was no mention at the beginning of the trick that you are having the spectator seperate reds from blacks. Or that you mention the number of cards to them at all. I read it as you just have them deal the cards randomly into two piles as they see fit. Only after they have finished do you show them what they did. I see that as problematic for the second phase as well. The second time around, the spectator may be mentally keeping track of how many cards they dealt into each pile.
I tell them in the first phase to make the piles fairly even. If someone still deals 15 cards in one pile, which hasn't happened and isn't likely, I'll spread both face-down piles and have them point to cards in the big pile to be moved to the small one. "There are five cards in this big pile which belong in the small one. I'm not going to tell you which ones, but the first two are in this area here. Which two do you think they are?" They point and I haphazardly move them to the small pile in random-looking positions. Continue with the other three. I've used that ploy in a full-deck OOTW before.
I just like to show the first phase as I see no point for repeating a impossible miracle. (even I really like the second phase and new twist of it) really like SA! a lot. Well done Mr. Bernstein. :applause:
I love Separation Anxiety but if you want a really clean 3 phase 10 card effect (you can use ESP cards instead) Patrick Redford's "Small World" is an absolute steal for the price.
Agreed on Redford's "Small World." Patrick
and I just shot some performance video of that effect which should be available soon.
What's small world have to do with sa? This is an sa thread. HIJACK!
My Christmas gift to all you SA people out there.
It's something I'm having quite a bit of fun and success with.

On a stack of business cards are written 10 words that would generally be accepted as GOOD words;
Love, Happy, Smile, Relaxed etc
These are written in RED pen, nice and bold.

And 10 words that would generally be accepted as NOT SO GOOD words:
Pain, Sad, Lost, War etc.
These are written in BLACK pen, nice and bold.

The effect proceeds as normal for Phase 1 The GOOD words being separated from the NOT SO GOOD words.

When it comes to the part where the Ace of Spades is introduced in the original, another business card is introduced that has a word that is ambiguous as to whether it is GOOD or NOT SO GOOD.

Money, Religion, perhaps Marriage. This is written in both Red and Black

The person is asked if they perceive this as a GOOD word or a NOT SO GOOD word.
If they answer "NOT SO GOOD" then we continue with Phase 2 as per the original, saying "I will make you think that it is a GOOD word."
If they answer"GOOD" then we say "I will make you think that it is a NOT SO GOOD word."

So we can make this word be in any pile we choose.

This question means we can make them correct and it ends up in the pile they said.
Or we can make them see it opposite and it ends up in the opposite pile.

If using playing cards, a joker could be used in place of the Ace of Spades and the same question asked. Do they see it as black or red?

This gives us the possibility to have different endings if we wish.

Merry Christmas
Steve
Nice idea, thank you.
Awesome idea! Thanks, Steve!
Steve, Thanks for sharing, very nice idea :)
Lovely idea Steve! I think the OOTW plot has powerful possibilities when used with other items. Derren Brown proved this with photographs of living and dead people on one of his TV specials. Think about that premise with Bruce's plot and there are some delicious possibilities.
Re Separation Anziety

For my own performing style I much prefer using a borrowed deck. So, for those who know SA, having counted the 10 card pile, is there a way of knowing the number of cards to turn without looking at the faces AND without having to do the complicated counting/maths in the head. I want to count the pile then keep them face down, but am having trouble doing the necessary counting of two things.
If you own it you know this.
I own it and don't know it, hence the question. So, to reiterate......

I want to do it impromptu with a borrowed deck, but I'm having trouble doing the necessary secret counting. So I wondered if anyone has a way of doing the secret count that does not involve counting 2 things at once, which is the bit I'm struggling with.
If you own it you should know it?
Even if all this were [b]not[/b] covered in Bruce's book (which it is), methodological issues are not a fit topic for this publicly-accessible portion of the Café.

Use the non-public area!
Clearly neither of you are grasping what I'm trying to explain. Its NOT all covered in the $25 download (which regardless of what some are suggesting I DO own); to do it as I want to do it needs a double count. I'll see if I can find someone able to help elsewhere. In the meantime, if anyone wants to help, they can always pm me. If they really need evidence of ownership, I'll give answers to any questions about any word on any line on any page.
[quote]
On 2014-02-13 16:28, Rolyan wrote:
Clearly neither of you are grasping what I'm trying to explain. Its NOT all covered in the $25 download (which regardless of what some are suggesting I DO own); to do it as I want to do it needs a double count. I'll see if I can find someone able to help elsewhere. In the meantime, if anyone wants to help, they can always pm me. If they really need evidence of ownership, I'll give answers to any questions about any word on any line on any page.

[/quote]

What Doug is alluding to is that we don't discuss intricate details of things in any forum other than IT. You need 50 posts to be able to post in IT

The IT forum isn't Google searchable.
I fully appreciate what Doug is alluding to. I was simply hoping that someone could cryptically answer my question, even by pm. Its more than possible to do this without giving anything away to those not in the know, I've helped many myself this way over many years. However, It's no hassle, we are having a session at the Frik 'n' Firkin shortly, I'll run it past the lads there.
FYI, Bernstein talks about leveraging some subtleties from Jon Armstrong's OOTBBB (which he says was the inspiration for SA) in the SA pdf. You don't need to know OOTBBB to learn SA but the discussion of OOTBBB doesn't make much sense in that case, and I was starting to wonder if I was missing something significant.

From the OOTBBB thread, I just discovered that OOTBBB is both performed and explained in Reel magic issue #19. It was very cool to be able to instantly stream that (since I subscribe) and now those pages make sense. I currently like SA "as is" but I like that I now have more of a safety net (the OOTBBB shuffle corner cases) if things go wrong early on.