(Close Window)
Topic: Can you?
Can you hypnotise someone who you have never met instantly? or does there have to be pre set-up ?
You can do it instantly but you shouldn't
Also, it helps a whole lot if you say you're a hypnotist first
Not likely you can't. This is not the Jedi Mind Trick.
Well not like you just walk up to somebody and say sleep, but if you explain that you are a hypnotist and do an instant induction than the more suggestible people will be hypnotised.
Yes about 5% of people.
Worked 1 out of 2 times when I tried it so only thing I can say is that it's possible and definitly no one should try it.
[quote]
On 2013-08-31 14:21, stubbs360 wrote:
You can do it instantly but you shouldn't
Also, it helps a whole lot if you say you're a hypnotist first
[/quote]

oh really? it can be done! that's amazing, and haha yeah I wont go pulling it on anyone...unless they increasingly ikr me. :P
[quote]
On 2013-08-31 17:21, stubbs360 wrote:
Worked 1 out of 2 times when I tried it so only thing I can say is that it's possible and definitly no one should try it.
[/quote]

you tried it ! ehaha that takes some courage, what was the person you did it too like?
It doesn't sound like you have much knowledge of what hypnosis is or it's application?
[quote]
On 2013-08-31 17:21, stubbs360 wrote:
[/quote]

Large enough sample size to make sweeping generalizations I guess.
Are you a radio show from melbourne?
This is actually a couple of questions.
General: Is it possible to instantly hypnotize a person you've just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the person and the situation.
Specific: Is it possible for "you" (i.e., a specific hypnotist) to hypnotize a person he/she's just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the skill of the hypnotist and the person he/she's thinking of hypnotizing, as well as the situation.
[quote]
On 2013-08-31 20:27, Mindpro wrote:
It doesn't sound like you have much knowledge of what hypnosis is or it's application?
[/quote]

..goodlord.
[quote]
On 2013-08-31 22:18, 123crampt wrote:
Are you a radio show from melbourne?
[/quote]

why not! sure, yes I am.
[quote]
On 2013-09-01 12:28, dmkraig wrote:
This is actually a couple of questions.
General: Is it possible to instantly hypnotize a person you've just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the person and the situation.
Specific: Is it possible for "you" (i.e., a specific hypnotist) to hypnotize a person he/she's just met without pre-induction work?
Answer: It depends upon the skill of the hypnotist and the person he/she's thinking of hypnotizing, as well as the situation.
[/quote]

thank you very much that was insightful :)
Lets put this one to bed;
The answer is yes but I think Danny is spot on with 5%.
Indeed for me that is the proper percantile for pure somnamblulists' but such a command with no introduction AT ALL I would expect to be much less.
In my experience; the answer is yes! And, significantly more often than 5% but there's a caveat...

While I wouldn't call what I do an "Instant Induction" it certainly is a "Rapid" induction (Under a minute). Instead of doing a pretalk and explaining that I'm a "Hypnotist" I use a verbal-confusion technique that is similar to a pattern-interrupt (i.e handshake induction).

This isn't going to read nearly as well as it sounds but it works extremely well.

Setup - Any time someone asks the question "How are you?" in a casual automatic-greeting way. This automatic-greeting is the "pattern" I'm interrupting.

Patter - "I'm fine... how are you?" (said with mild intensity to grab their attention). They will usually reply "fine" or something similar.

Then increase the intensity slightly and say "No... How are you... only here... anytime but now... in every way that can allow you to... relax... even more deeply than you ever have before...now. That's right... and how are you not... everywhere but here... at this very moment... in every other way.... that's not completely relaxed... even more?"

Reading through this patter, I realize just how "cheesy" it may sound to some of you. However, bare in mind that the above is said with a genuine sincerity (congruence), and the timing is critical.

What you're looking for in the timing, is the moment when they're just about to form the thought to answer you. For instance; when you say "No... How are you..." there will be a moment when they think 'Oh! he want's a genuine answer', and they start to formulate their response.

Just before they complete the thought carry on with "only here..." which causes them to "go inside" for more information and an appropriate response. Continue this sequence of timing with each phrase just as they're about to respond. This timing pattern of letting them almost-respond eventually causes an overload in the Critical Factor and the only phrases that actually have some actionable-value to their unconscious mind are the commands to "relax". What's extraordinary about this is that you visibly see them relax about a half-second after you say it. It's great feedback that they're going-in.

Some of you won't believe it until you see it; which is perfectly understandable. I'll post a video for an actual demonstration. For me, it works exceptionally well as an unconventional rapid induction. Of course, I continue suggestions to deepen and test. This is just how I intro into an induction. It's about as close to a "Jedi mind trick" as you can get.

Granted; it doesn't work on everyone. But, it does work on a surprising number of people!

-Chris.
No one can be hypnotized "instantly" I don't think. It can be made look instant but all hypnosis is part of a multi-step process. Some of those may not be recognized as hypnosis but are still part pf the process.

There really is no such thing as instant hypnosis. Its an ongoing process not a thing. A hypnotist hijacks the natural "movements" and process of the mind and leads them in a desired direction or focus.
[quote]
On 2013-12-14 10:06, mindpunisher wrote:
No one can be hypnotized "instantly" I don't think. It can be made look instant but all hypnosis is part of a multi-step process. Some of those may not be recognized as hypnosis but are still part pf the process.

There really is no such thing as instant hypnosis. Its an ongoing process not a thing. A hypnotist hijacks the natural "movements" and process of the mind and leads them in a desired direction or focus.
[/quote]

I think one of the aspects that makes this discussion a little tricky is that 'hypnosis' is a subjective term. It's difficult to say whether hypnosis can be done 'instantly' without an agreed-upon definition of hypnosis.

For instance; the state of shock people often experience after a traumatic incident, like a car crash, or an explosion - could be called an "instant induction" as the mind searches for the appropriate response to the unique experience. I believe when the mind is presented with something it's never experienced before, it tends to go 'inside' to attempt to find some resource or frame of reference for how to react. Personally, I call this process of going inside - Trance.

One thing I've noticed when doing "instant" inductions is what I can best describe as the Bounce Effect. When using a shock induction, it's quite common for a person to 'drop' into a trance, lasting for less than a second, then 'bounce' back out with a slight look of alert-confusion, and then... go deeper... This is one of the reasons why deepeners are so important, especially when using a shock-induction. Without a deepener, nearly every subject will regain 'normalcy' within a second or two.

This still begs the question - Is the moment of shock an "Instant Induction"? I personally think so, but I also think that fragile moment must be properly handled or it will slip away quickly.

Regardless; since the definition of hypnosis is mercurial at best, it's not a question that's easily answered.

-Chris.
Good question Triple M.

Three of the most experienced voices on here, MindPro, Danny Doyle and Mindpunisher, with somewhere close to a century of experience between them, say 'No'.

I think that is quite telling.

You suggested it is not a question we can easily answer because of the mercurial definitions of hypnosis. Certainly there is a lack of consensus over how it works but fortunately less over how it is defined as product rather than process. The classic suggestion effect is something you should consider whether you adopt a state, social or cognitive definition.

So my suggestion would be whatever your personal definition of hypnosis is, assuming you have settled on one that you prefer, ask the question with relation to that. Can it be done?

For example many adopt Elman's definition of hypnosis. Can you bypass the critical faculty and establish selective thinking in an instant?

I would say yes.

Take Braid's, Erickson's, Chase's.

Ask the question.

The answer for most of the definitions is yes.
Instant means instant SlEEP! Are you still awake Ant?

If the answer for "most" of the definition is yes then it isn't instant. Instant means instant.We can all play with the definition to say yes. Some definitions say we are always hypnotized anyway. But I assume the poster is meaning someone who is hypnotized and displaying deep hypnotic phenomena.

There are also claims of hypnosis without induction yet when I see it demo'd there IS an induction. There are claims that you don't need to condition someone and "instant" amnesia is possible. yet when I see the so called demos on video its neither instant nor is it genuine long term amnesia its more like confusion.

The answer can be anything you like if you are willing play around with definitions. However the demos and examples put forward from those are VERY telling.

Ive yet to see anything convincing on video or live. Of course if anyone does have an example let us take a look. you have loads of video online as jon Chase has yet I ve never seen anything that comes close.

Instant hypnosis is always set up and its not a very deep hypnosis. Now before we get into argument about whether there is no depth or there is I am talking about someone hypnotized to the degree where they carry out waking hypnosis suggestions and may experience amnesia REAL amnisia after termination.

Even a good somnambulist needs a series of steps to get them to a place of full wakened hypnosis. Those series of steps no matter how big or small are inductions no matter what they are. The last time this came up a few years ago there NO examples put forward to say other wise. I doubt anything will change.

Instant hypnosis is "generally" a theatrical set up to make it appear as if hypnosis is instant. However Ive never seen a hypnosis show or demo that didn't use an induction or conditioning to demonstrate the deeper phenomena. (and there's no pint arguing over the semantics of the word deeper)
I have read a lot of things about Erickson yet most of the surviving video footage of him working shows a very slow painful process.I haven't seen any that could be described as instant. Whenever /I've seen "demos" of this it has been during trainings. That doesn't count because those in the demo have been primed by being there in the first place. And have either already been hypnotized or have seen a number of people being hypnotized. Even then its not totally "instant" there are a couple of steps (induction)

While I am not discounting it totally I have just never seen it or experienced it. I don't believe everything I read or every claim made by others.
Interesting discussion.

If someone has seen instant inductions (in person or on YouTube) and believes you are a hypnotist, will an instant induction (with or without in intro) work with them, if they want it to? Maybe yes, maybe no, since humans tend to be complicated...

But if I'm out and about and someone wants to know if I can hypnotize them, one of the things I do (depending on the person) is ask if they'd like to be hypnotized to discover how powerful their mind really is and feel amazing. Then I ask them to look between my eyes, give them a bit of a surprise, say the word SLEEP *then start deepening.* Usually in around a minute or two, they have enough depth for muscle catalepsy, analgesia, sometimes anesthesia and amnesia. In my hypnosis meetup group, I always offer demos and they do seem to work better if the volunteer has seen instant inductions work with other people.
The very act of being at a group has set up expectation so therefore can't be described as instant. The real induction started when they accepted your invitation after reading your marketing or description of the evening. Or at least the process had began. A training or learning or group environment generally is a context where participants are more open to hypnosis and being hypnotized and respond to those expectations.
Interestingly discussion? Seriously? It is nothing more than a lack of knowledge, word parsing and trying to stretch definitions to suit ones own agenda. (NOT you Mindpunisher.)

Here is a hint for you. When you have to parse words and stretch definitions the answer to your question is no. It is that simple.

Significantly more than 5%? Give me a number. Not an abstract and some word parsing but a number. What percentage?

By the way if you have to do deepening IT IS NOT INSTANT!
Yes, I can. :)

[quote]
On 2013-08-31 12:47, TripleM wrote:
Can you hypnotise someone who you have never met instantly?
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-12-15 05:10, quicknotist wrote:

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

You have whole courses online show us one or two examples then we can see clearly what you define as "instant" hypnosis.And you will have achieved something that I haven't seen in over 30 years doing hypnosis.

Most of the "new wave stuff" Ive seen are poor examples of hypnosis in general. But I have high hopes of yours Reg. But I doubt we will see anything revolutionary.
Instant hypnosis is about as likely as instant depression. Both take a series of steps or events to happen or exist because they are both processes not static "things".
In my experience yes, but why not increase the hit rate by telling them you are a hypnotist? For me beats the hell out of not doing it.
I do wish there were a like button.

[quote]here were a like button.

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
In my experience yes, but why not increase the hit rate by telling them you are a hypnotist? For me beats the hell out of not doing it.
I don't need your validation, or anyone else's.
Thanks.

[quote]
On 2013-12-15 08:37, mindpunisher wrote:
[quote]

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

You have whole courses online show us one or two examples then we can see clearly what you define as "instant" hypnosis.And you will have achieved something that I haven't seen in over 30 years doing hypnosis.

Most of the "new wave stuff" Ive seen are poor examples of hypnosis in general. But I have high hopes of yours Reg. But I doubt we will see anything revolutionary.
[/quote]
I see so you can't back up your claim...that doesn't surprise me. And I guess your definition wouldn't stand up to being validated anyway. Anyone show any examples? Doesn't even have to be your own....

I think its going to be a long wait... Seeing an example of "instant hypnosis" surely isn't going to be an instant experience. I remember asking for examples five years ago still not a single one.

:)

And I can levitate for real! Im just not going to validate it here.
Yea I remember the same thing.

"Can" it be done? Yep about 5% of the time. The rest is posturing, and word parsing and definition bending.
I don't see any value of "instant" hypnosis anyway. You can't DO anything worthwhile with "instant hypnosis" even if it is possible 5% of the time. But even then you need conditioning to actually do anything worthwhile with it. I don't think of someone slouched over with their eyes closed as being deeply hypnotized they have one foot on the hypnotic ladder.
I don't see what the problem is. If someone wants to do instant inductions, great! If they don't, great!

But as I continually tell people seeking to learn hypnosis, inductions are easy! The challenge (shh! don't tell anyone) isn't getting someone into hypnosis, the REAL challenge is what you do with a person AFTER they've been hypnotized.

If you use the technique to help someone via suggestion (i.e., hypnotherapy), then knowing the suggestions to give the person as well as how to give them is important.
If you use the technique to entertain, then having ideas for skits and how to present them to give the audience a good time without humiliating or embarrassing the person is important.

If you just use the technique to shout, "Look! I can do something you can't," it's nothing more than a desperate reflection on your personal insecurity and need to exert your egotism.

Do what you want. However, don't think you're an entertainer just because you're an egomaniac; don't think you're a hypnotherapist because you can "suggest" "smoking will make you feel ill."
I'm always aware that there are 'certain people' watching/reading who I am not happy with being here.
But since certain people have already said so then yes; the cat is out of the bag.
I do it every day and it's remarkably easy. Having said that I AM remarkably good at it.
I hypnotised my first person in 1973. Her name was Elizabeth and she was the duty manager at The Queens Hotel, Aberdeen.
I was the lead singer in a band called 'Cockney Haggis' and the drummer told her as we walked through the door that I was a hypnotist. She looked at me and I told her to sleep.
Donald Michael Kraig is correct. She went int hypnosis immediately. And then I truly panicked because I had no idea what to do.
But it's nice to know that 40 years later that happening gets to answer this question.
Although to be fair there was indeed, arguably, some form of a 'set-up', as a statement was made: "HE is a HYPNOTIST."
It really depends upon definition. When I first learned stage hypnosis my mentor taught me all kinds of "rapid inductions" But he always told they opened the door to the unconscious and that those people weren't deeply hypnotized. They had a foot on the hypnotic ladder. Being fully hypnotized was the point of no return where you get to that place where you have full control over that person and they act and respond to just about every suggestion you give them. And that was and still is achieved by conditioning a hypnotee through the light stages until they get to that point of no return.

that's the definition that introduced me to hypnosis that's the one I go by. Someone slouched over or lying on the floor with their eyes closed isn't deeply hypnotized. And while some people may crumble into a heap they aren't hypnotized.

When people ask the question can someone be hypnotized instantly I think they mean to the "point of no return".

that's the definition I go by. But you can have a y definition you want after all its xmas.

The last time this topic came up there were a couple of claims that you don't need conditioning to take someone to the "place of no return" And where real amnesia is experienced after hypnosis terminated.

I don't believe that its the case but always open to learn something just haven't seen with any examples put forward.
Some people may think this can only be done 5% of the time. These may be the people that only use 5% of the brain.

In my experience, this can be done 100% of the time.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2013-12-20 00:40, insight wrote:
Some people may think this can only be done 5% of the time. These may be the people that only use 5% of the brain.

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

Roughly how many different individual subjects account for your 100% - are we talking, 10īs, 100īs, 1000īs ?
And were you the hypnotist?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_percent_of_brain_myth

[quote]

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]
[quote]

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

With facts like this who can possibly dispute your experience?
We use 100% of our brains all the time its just that some only have 5% capacity to the average person.

I did see an interesting Demo many years ago when I trained with Tad James with hypnosis. It was in the early 90s. He did a part of it where he told a story about Erickson and people were falling into trance. Another thing he did was to ask the group who had been hypnotized before and gestured by putting up his hand for those to follow. Those that put up their hands he would stare at them with a stupid grin and they went into trance.....closed their eyes fell forward into a heap. Interesting as it was they had been primed with two weeks training by this point!

But I guess it might work if you were talking to a group and tried it with some. Might be an interesting demo.

But for me at least they still aren't deeply hypnotized.

And overall I wasn't that impressed by Tad's hypnosis training. In facty I did a better demo at the break much to the discomfort of him and his team. This was a time when stage hypnosis was at its peak over here and there were very little trainings available and the "secret" was kept mainly because the money being made was amazing.
Yes you can. If you watch Darren Brown he does it to people that he has never met. His racetrack video he goes to a horse race track and gives losing tickets to the cashier and gets them to pay out. Pretty trippy. Also that is what I associate Conversational Hypnosis with, putting people into a trance through speech right after you start talking to them. Igor Ledochowski has a great series on Converstational Hypnosis, it isn't cheap, but if it interests you it might be worth your money!

Cheers
Andy
Don't believe anything Derren tells you or that you see on tv :)
Do you have any idea how many times he has to do that before it works? Lord this is scary.
The show is also EDITED you only see what they want you to see!
So neither of you think that what Darren Brown does is legitimate?
Haha. Do you?

Darren is an entertainer and it seems like you've been entertained, but don't confuse your perceptions with reality, and the realities of hypnosis.
Amazing.
How to do an instant induction?

Simple, scare the living crap out of someone THEN yell at them to say their name but they don't remember it.

I'd say, more than not, they won't.

AKA: Induction + Suggestion = Result of Hypnotic Amnesia

AKA: Bypass of the critical factor and the acceptance of selective thinking
In my part of the world all that will get you is punched in the face.
Kick between the legs over here...
Maybe, but it WILL validate the concept of an instant induction for all you unbelievers...
Great do you have videos showing? Punch in the face or kick between the legs either way would be fine!
Nothing worse to create unbelievability in a stage performance than an instant induction. Spoken like a true clinical hypnotist.
Some people have the pre-show talk already done some how, maybe from another hypnotist or even from TV or studying the subject. But that's if you are very, very, very lucky!
Hi
It would be extremely unusual for a total stranger to come up and say, relax, sleep. if not just a bit creepy.
Any information you give to a subject will take the form of an hypnotic suggestion. So if during the conversation you happen to drop in that you can hypnotise people, your potential subject begins a thought process which includes "I wonder if they could hypnotise me." Wow what would the make me do, " would they find out about......
The same often happens to people attending a show.
So I think if someone just said sleep I'd head for the nearest bus and if they said at a stage show would you please come up on stage Terry I'd say ..... And about time.
Its DERREN...........NOT DARREN!
(sorry)
Message: Posted by: Gordon the discombobulator (Jan 23, 2014 03:13PM)
At a wedding reception doing close-up magic. A girl, late teens, Who I had never met before, came up to me and said, "can you really hypnotise people? "
I said, "yes I can" in a confident way.
Then I took her hand, placed it on top of her head and said "There, it is stuck!"

It was stuck !

She had done all the work. She had already built me up to be 'the hypnotist' and already imagined how she might respond to a hypnotist suggestion. The speed of the suggestion interrupting her thought patterns combined with my cold, factual, 'this is perfectly normal' manner was all it needed.

I could easily have moved into a full hypnosis trance at this point.

So, yes, you can hypnotise a stranger without any introductions, or pre-induction chat.
But only if they already believe that you are 'the hypnotist.'
Greet, "hello I am a hypnotist" followed by handshake induction.

Really, guerilla hypnosis rarely works and should not be used IMO.

- John.
I don't know if this was what you were asking, Cold walk up on a hesitant subject.
He initially did not want to be hypnotized, and was resistant to hypnosis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXOHhR9odQ
Shock inductions should only be used in emergency situations and then only by those with a lot of experience.
Is this something you were taught and just accepted, or do you believe there are very good reasons for it?

[quote]
On Mar 2, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
Shock inductions should only be used in emergency situations and then only by those with a lot of experience.
[/quote]
Anything expressed that dogmatically is something he has put no thought into, Reg. Reasoned views generally have nuances.
What exactly constitutes an "emergency situation" with hypnosis?
RIP - DMKraig