(Close Window)
Topic: SMACK! by Francis Menotti
Message: Posted by: ©NathanaelBergenMagic (Sep 4, 2013 10:08AM)
SMACK! by Francis Menotti (DVD + Gimmick)
A lightning fast, in-your-face card restoration.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3481

SMACK! PACKS A PUNCH


SMACK! is Francis Menotti's lightning fast, in-your-face card restoration. The brilliant gimmick you receive enables this incredible restoration that DEMANDS great reactions.


Here's what happens:

You begin by tearing a SIGNED card into random jagged pieces. The torn pieces are handed to your spectator to see, taken back, and SMACK!!!

THEIR SIGNED CARD IS RESTORED.

The card is then IMMEDIATELY given away as a souvenir.

Included is a custom-made gimmick and Francis Menotti's professional routine. Also included are many tips from Francis on how to present this effect in a variety of situations.



"I love this. Visual and practical. Just like everything Francis does, it is extremely well thought out and developed through tons of real world performance" -Dan White

"The visual restore smacked me in my brain. Immediately started the wheels turning for opportunities to use this!" -Blake Vogt
Message: Posted by: vinsmagic (Sep 4, 2013 10:58AM)
This T and R effect looks increditable .
this is something I would use, I love in your face effects quick and to the point
vinny
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Sep 4, 2013 11:13AM)
Incredible. What isn't there to like?
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 11:15AM)
Looks just like JM's Decent effect from The Bold Project. I wonder if Francis credits JM? I think JM's restoration is much more elegant. A simple upwards swipe and BAM a restored card. Much nicer than SMACKING the card. A guess this would come down to preference of the performer. Though looks identical to JM's except for the SMACKING part.

As an aside- I did see Francis perform at the Dicken's Parlour Theater this year. He did an OK job but performed nothing exceptional. Seems like a very nice guy.

RNK
Message: Posted by: doriancaudal (Sep 4, 2013 11:19AM)
Nice way of restoring a card, but a little bit illogical.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 11:23AM)
Not to mention- the dirty work in Decent is camouflaged better than it is in SMACKED. In Decent you don't have to hide your dirty hand right away. As a matter of fact you can openly show both hands before doing any of the dirty work. Whereas in SMACKED, after watching the demo, you definitely see Francis not showing both of his hands openly.

RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 11:24AM)
RNK - its probably better to know how both effects work before stating that credit should be given!

I've got SMACK!, it came today, and its a very healthy balance between sleight of hand and a specially made (and very clever/subtle) gimmick...

Francis mentions that he's been using this for nearly 15 years (so maybe JM needs to credit FM?), and used to just make small batches himself by hand... so if you somehow had the original gimmick, this has had a mild tweak/addition to it...clever and well structured routining, and very well explained too...not finished the dvd yet, so can't comment more - just watched the main routine/handling thus far...there is a very, very clever convincer that you can do with the gimmick... classic card sleights mixed in with an unusual gimmick... the main routine is great...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 11:35AM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 12:24, IAIN wrote:
RNK - its probably better to know how both effects work before stating that credit should be given!

I've got SMACK!, it came today, and its a very healthy balance between sleight of hand and a specially made (and very clever/subtle) gimmick...

Francis mentions that he's been using this for nearly 15 years (so maybe JM needs to credit FM?), and used to just make small batches himself by hand... so if you somehow had the original gimmick, this has had a mild tweak/addition to it...clever and well structured routining, and very well explained too...not finished the dvd yet, so can't comment more - just watched the main routine/handling thus far...there is a very, very clever convincer that you can do with the gimmick... classic card sleights mixed in with an unusual gimmick... the main routine is great...
[/quote]

You are right Ian- my apologies since I do not have the gimmick. The whole routine from the demo looks totally identical to JM's except for the smacking part. Though Francis has been using this for 15 years- he has never marketed it, has he? So I believe JM marketed and was selling his first, correct? So therefore JM should not have to give credit to Francis. Further- JM's Decent looks much cleaner than SMACKED.

RNK
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 11:41AM)
Not to mention with Decent you don't have to worry about any gimmick breaking or wearing out. Once you have the tutorial video you can do this forever. I wonder if this is the case with SMACKED?

RNK
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 4, 2013 11:46AM)
I've been using SMACK ( it's a P3 release ) and it's not like other methods mentioned. The gimmick is very clever and can even be put in their hand!

The trailer shows one way to perform it, but I immediately went for Francis's "Back In Time" rotuine. The differnece is instead of the instant "SMACK" resoration, which gets great reactions, Back In time has a slow burn where they look at each other trying to figure out what just happened.

If you want to take it to another level, combine it with LokI Kross's incredible FAX method.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 11:48AM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 12:46, Zombie Magic wrote:
I've been using SMACK ( it's a P3 release ) and it's not like other methods mentioned. The gimmick is very clever and can even be put in their hand!

The trailer shows one way to perform it, but I immediately went for Francis's "Back In Time" rotuine. The differnece is instead of the instant "SMACK" resoration, which gets great reactions, Back In time has a slow burn where they look at each other trying to figure out what just happened.

If you want to take it to another level, combine it with LokI Kross's incredible FAX method.
[/quote]

Zombie- just wandering if the gimmick can wear out over time?

Thanks,
RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 12:49PM)
Can you stop with the incessant JM comparisons, zombie has already put you straight on that... different methods, and yes, FM says on the dvd he used to make the gimmicks up himself in small quantities and sell them...

so can this go back to just being a review on this particular product? Pretty much any gimmick can "run out" over time, its made from a playing card, so if you were to dunk it in water, or perform inside a mine, I'm sure it'll wear out a lot quicker... but as its only in play for a few moments, and just left out in the open, in your or someone else's hand - it'll last a long time... but (having made one up for a passport photo today) its relatively easy to do with about an hour's experimentation...

I thought about FAX too, but I reckon for the timing of the routine, it'll cause a bit of time-delay that isn't needed in this kind of routine...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 01:03PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 13:49, IAIN wrote:
Can you stop with the incessant JM comparisons, zombie has already put you straight on that... different methods, and yes, FM says on the dvd he used to make the gimmicks up himself in small quantities and sell them...

so can this go back to just being a review on this particular product? Pretty much any gimmick can "run out" over time, its made from a playing card, so if you were to dunk it in water, or perform inside a mine, I'm sure it'll wear out a lot quicker... but as its only in play for a few moments, and just left out in the open, in your or someone else's hand - it'll last a long time... but (having made one up for a passport photo today) its relatively easy to do with about an hour's experimentation...

I thought about FAX too, but I reckon for the timing of the routine, it'll cause a bit of time-delay that isn't needed in this kind of routine...
[/quote]

Sorry Iain- but that's what a forum is for- compare to other effects, share ideas, etc... Sorry SMACK looks exactly like Decent. Not my fault. Further- if other effects achieve the same result without having to make a gimmick that's going to wear out it's only fair to let others know. And that's what the café is partly about. Also, there are numerous posts when someone creates an effect that's like another. A lot of bashing because of it. This is nothing new.

RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 01:12PM)
Just watched the demo of descent, I mean its a TnR, but can the pieces be left in the participant's hands in Descent? is it available as a stand alone effect or only part of the bigger BOLD project? does anyone who has both offer a proper comparison please?

I think having the pieces in someone's hands is an interesting moment...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 01:14PM)
You could put the pieces in the specs hands with a slight modification. Can be done as I have Decent.

RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 01:25PM)
Ok thanks... does JM credit FM, as he's been selling this for 15 years or so? (and selling it on and off)
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 01:28PM)
I havn't seen SMACKED sold from any distributer. How come Penguin just now has offered it? Further- does FM have a patent on the gimmick? And since you mention The Bold Project- you pay $25.00 for one effect or $100 dollars for MANY effects including one that is identical to SMACKED! Plus top notch instruction on presentation and subtleties that very few other creators provide. Seems like a no brainer to me....


RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 01:31PM)
Hahaha! ridiculous! well done you! an effect you haven't seen, yet you constantly go on about JMs effect, and when I ask the same question, you call "patent"...no brainer is absolutely correct...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 01:37PM)
What more is there to see after the demo? I guess you do miss the part where FM retrieves the card that will be used to restore the torn card. My bad. Oh yea- and you miss the ditch part to. But you didn't answer my original question- if FM has been selling SMACKED for 15 years off and on (LOL) why is Penguin only now offering it?
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 01:42PM)
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...

I am not worried in the sleightest (sic) how effects are seen by us, I am purely focused on entertainment value and what its like for the participants...you keep comparing them, and delaying the discussion of this effect...and I'm not going to argue any further with you, as its obviously a bit of a waste of time...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 01:45PM)
Only being fair to all who read this. Comparing two IDENTICAL effects in which one only now has been publically released.

RNK
Message: Posted by: Sean Giles (Sep 4, 2013 01:45PM)
Lol RNK, you just have too much time on your hands? :) there is no evidence that anybody copied anybody else so relax.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 01:50PM)
And the routine isn't the same...but lets not allow the facts to get in the way of blind devotion...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 01:51PM)
Not really- only when I am at my day job, lol. In all seriousness- I am just looking out for readers here on the café. More importantly- as so many others do here on the café, let people know what effects are similar to the effect being introduced. Trying to help others get more bang for their buck which is so the case here.

RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 01:54PM)
It needs to be informed and balanced though, and especially important - the person who is comparing them, needs to actually OWN BOTH...otherwise its guess work based on a demo...

look at the riggs and zust comparison review I did - I bought both and compared them thoroughly...

you're being unfair on FM right now because you're joining up dots that don't deserve to be...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 01:59PM)
I am observing an effect openly as a spectator. I see two effects that are the same. One requires a gimmick that will wear out eventually and can be remade with an hours experimentation which has been established by you! And another effect that achieves the exact same outcome that does not require a gimmick that will wear out. Further- talking costs- one can purchase this effect for $25.00 and have ONE effect. One can spend $100.00 and get the exact same effect plus MANY other effects that are top notch. Hmmm... Not being unfair just laying out some facts that have been established in this forum.

RNK
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 02:03PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 14:42, IAIN wrote:
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...
[/quote]

Well I just checked FM's website- didn't see SMACKED being sold as John Rigg's sells his stuff online?? Maybe I missed it, lol...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 02:10PM)
Further IAIN- as someone just pointed out to me- they have Decent but not SMACK. Their issue is- SMACK looks like you are taking a palmed card and smacking it on your hand. Which- I am only speculating- looks to be what's happening to me. Not very magical looking. Decent is a classy elegant change with a smooth upwards swoop over the torn pieces- magically the card instantly is restored. Again- of coarse this depends on one's taste and the clients they are performing for. I would much rather perform an elegant restoration at a corporate gig rather than having to SMACK my hands together. But that's just me. And that's not being unfair- this is all derived from watching the demo which I believe is supposed to show us how the effect goes down, correct? Unless of coarse the demo is misleading and FM does not really SMACK his hands together before restoring the card?

RNK
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 02:12PM)
Wow. Ok. Umm.

On the ad page the photo on the left isn't from him performing smack, it is from him performing my FAX. :P
(Why did they steal a reaction shot from my effect to sell this one?)

OK....

So I have seen this before, in person. It is clean and fast.
Francis always has some fun presentations too.

Don't know why they needed my reactions to sell it though.... :$

LokI
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 02:14PM)
Unless it is from the same shoot. Which happened in June of 2012. *shrugs
Message: Posted by: paperinick (Sep 4, 2013 02:15PM)
[quote]Sorry SMACK looks exactly like Decent. Not my fault. Further- if other effects achieve the same result without having to make a gimmick that's going to wear out it's only fair to let others know. And that's what the café is partly about. Also, there are numerous posts when someone creates an effect that's like another. A lot of bashing because of it. This is nothing new. [/quote]
Wow. Just wow. I am baffled.
Message: Posted by: Magicsquared (Sep 4, 2013 02:16PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 15:12, lokikross wrote:
Wow. Ok. Umm.

On the ad page the photo on the left isn't from him performing smack, it is from him performing my FAX. :P
(Why did they steal a reaction shot from my effect to sell this one?)

OK....

So I have seen this before, in person. It is clean and fast.
Francis always has some fun presentations too.

Don't know why they needed my reactions to sell it though.... :$

LokI
[/quote]

The photo comes from the trailer and is him performing Smack.
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 02:17PM)
Ok. Watched the demo.

It is from that day when they shot FAX. I correct myself. :)

Not sure why it took so long to come out though. That was over a year ago.

L
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 02:17PM)
Loki - do you mean the thumbnail on the far left? francis with a lady in a purple top? that's definitely on the SMASH! dvd, and its definitely him performing SMAck!
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 02:21PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 15:10, RNK wrote:
Decent is a classy elegant change with a smooth upwards swoop over the torn pieces- magically the card instantly is restored. Again- of coarse this depends on one's taste and the clients they are performing for. I would much rather perform an elegant restoration at a corporate gig rather than having to SMACK my hands together. But that's just me.
[/quote]

I'm sure at your elegant corporate gigs you perform a lot of different material RNK...i agree, context is king, and all dependent on what kind of performer you are...i am happy to talk about that kinda thing all day...

all I want is something very simple...
1. for someone who owns both effects to do a simple and fair comparison...its as easy as that really...
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 02:22PM)
I just pointed that out myself IAIN. :)

The girl in the blue blouse acting hysterically is on my DVD too.

It appears from the demo that he did this effect before performing MWI from FAX.

Easy to confuse though, as it is the exact same group, in the exact same clothes.

After seeing the demo, I could tell it was from the same set.

(She is the girl who has to pull her panties out after seeing FAX on the FAX demo.)

Just saw the pic and it was eerily familiar. Lol.

But then again, I already said that ;)

L
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 02:26PM)
;).

I feel your pain.

It was easier for me to click a thumbnail than watch the demo. LOL

L
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 02:31PM)
As for the effect, I remember Francis showing me this at his lecture :)

Pretty cool. Fast. And Visual.

Not my kind of handling, but I always took the laborious route. (Piece by piece)
For an easy TNR, this one has a great kicker.


I enjoy watching it. :)
L
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 02:40PM)
If this has been sold like John Riggs' material- why is it that I checked FM's website and see no products section? Maybe IAIN you could point us in the right direction since you were the one to state that this is how SMACK has been sold in the past?


RNK
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 02:45PM)
I'm trying to do my homework IAIN and am finding, Treachery of Tricks, Dissolve Deck, and PRISN by FM. Have not seen anywhere where SMACK has been sold?
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 4, 2013 02:50PM)
I performed the 'SMACK" version in the trailer and as expected, people love that sort of thing.

But, I prefer the "Back In Time" routine. They don't scream like a bee landed on them, but it messes with their minds. It's fun to see the deer caught in the headlights" look.

"Back In Time" also happens to be very easy to do.
Message: Posted by: Magicsquared (Sep 4, 2013 02:50PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 15:45, RNK wrote:
I'm trying to do my homework IAIN and am finding, Treachery of Tricks, Dissolve Deck, and PRISN by FM. Have not seen anywhere where SMACK has been sold?
[/quote]

Here's someone talking about using his effect 10 years ago. It's likely he sold them in his lectures.

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=20679

Now drop it?
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 03:07PM)
From FM's FB announcement - "A trick I created for myself 15 years ago and only made and sold in small quantities on my own is finally mass distributed by Penguin Magic. If you've already seen it, there are new handlings and something extra we did to the gimmick to make it even better."
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 03:08PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 15:50, Magicsquared wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 15:45, RNK wrote:
I'm trying to do my homework IAIN and am finding, Treachery of Tricks, Dissolve Deck, and PRISN by FM. Have not seen anywhere where SMACK has been sold?
[/quote]

Here's someone talking about using his effect 10 years ago. It's likely he sold them in his lectures.

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=20679

Now drop it?
[/quote]

No problem. Just funny IAIN compared FM to John Riggs and as we know Riggs sells his items on his website. So IAIN's comparison was inaccurate since FM does not sell this on his website.

RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 03:10PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 14:42, IAIN wrote:
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...
[/quote]

hate to quote myself here, but if you'd taken the time to actually read what I said, rather than what you THINK I said - you wouldn't have create such a fuss...
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 4, 2013 03:15PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 16:10, IAIN wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 14:42, IAIN wrote:
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...
[/quote]

hate to quote myself here, but if you'd taken the time to actually read what I said, rather than what you THINK I said - you wouldn't have create such a fuss...
[/quote]

No fuss- my logic compared to FM and John Riggs was accurate. FM does not sell products as John Riggs does on his website. Since really what you meant was that FM sold SMACK at his lectures maybe you should have been a little more specific. Selling at lectures and selling from a website are two totally different balls of wax. Sorry about the misinterpretation. But I was basing my statement on your whole post not just part of it.

RNK
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 03:22PM)
But no one said that they did, except you... you stated that because FMs SMACK! wasn't available via penguin until now meant (in your opinion) that it couldn't have been sold in any other way...because unless its via a commercial routine (i.e. a dedicated major site like Penguin) it doesn't exist...

so I stated (quoted above) that if I followed your logic, then john riggs' work doesn't exist, cos he doesn't sell it via commercial major site like Penguin...

and I did say "people do sell stuff during lectures" - so your strange mix of pedantry and re-interpreting what I actually wrote isn't really doing you any favours...
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 03:27PM)
Soooooooooooooo, after two pages of pretty much nonsense...can we get back on track please?

interesting gimmick
a few different presentations are given and explained/demo'd
I am quite tempted to make up a passport photo version of the gimmick
very well taught
I also like the comic book font that's used....
Message: Posted by: TheGreatRaymondo (Sep 4, 2013 03:28PM)
Is this' available via any dealers in the UK?
I like it - a lot!
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 4, 2013 03:31PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 16:28, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
Is this' available via any dealers in the UK?
I like it - a lot!
[/quote]

Penguin has their "PENGUIN FLAT-PACK™ World-wide free shipping" option. I use it here in the states when I just want the one item.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3481
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 03:32PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 16:28, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
Is this' available via any dealers in the UK?
I like it - a lot!
[/quote]

got mine from magicshop.co.uk - ordered monday afternoon, arrived this morning..
Message: Posted by: Justin N. Miller (Sep 4, 2013 04:26PM)
Decent was first published in my first lecture notes when I was 17 (I am 37 now)"something to do while waiting" it was called seriously. I sold those notes at my first magi-fest and I made 200 copies..I sold every single one. Mine does not use a gimmick, but it does use a small set up. I have not seen nor heard of FM's effect until today. These are not the things that bother me. Here is what bothers me.

When I worked for papercrane magic as a consultant for a short time, I was going to release a dvd with them of a collection of effects. We went out and shot 2 days worth in ohio, Decent was part of that set. I showed mandy and ian both the effect and they loved it! when I was "let go" I was not given that footage and they either still have it or they trashed it. Either way their eyes have seen it BEFORE FM came to P3 to film it with them. As far as crediting is concerned, we both should credit (and I do)Alex De'Cova for his Flash restoration because his preceded ours. I have no problem with FM selling his as they are diff. in method and they both can be side by side with each other. Me and FM have no problems with each other in any way so those who are not apart of this needs to keep to themselves their unfounded,dumb, and ignorant comments. This is NOT directed towards one single person but to all of magicdom.
JM
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Sep 4, 2013 04:34PM)
Its a shame they didn't give you your material back... (and its also a shame that I cant buy Descent on its own right now - cos I would!)...

thanks for the info Justin...
Message: Posted by: Justin N. Miller (Sep 4, 2013 04:39PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 17:34, IAIN wrote:
Its a shame they didn't give you your material back... (and its also a shame that I cant buy Descent on its own right now - cos I would!)...

thanks for the info Justin...
[/quote]

Ian,
Thanks man! Yea I am trying to get it back as we speak. Just sent an email to acar. Hopefully they still have it. Decent will be sold by itself AFTER THE BOLD PROJECT is finished. But for now we have FM effect and method and it looks good!
JM
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 05:59PM)
Might as well just re-shoot it JM.

"El Gato" was less than a year old when I asked for the footage to it.
They told me if I wanted to give it to people, I would have to re-shoot it.

So I did.
And it was better. :)

Your idea has probably grown since then too.
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 06:06PM)
Back to SMACK!

I believe Francis showed this in his Penguin lecture, as well.

I'm not sure if he detailed the gimmick though.

I DO know in Indianapolis in 11' he did it, and was selling copies there.

I almost bought one. But I'm not into gimmicks for TNRs. (Just my personal choice though).

For a gimmicked one, I do like the sudden appearance. :)

I have never seen Descent.

L
Message: Posted by: Justin N. Miller (Sep 4, 2013 06:19PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 19:06, lokikross wrote:
Back to SMACK!

I believe Francis showed this in his Penguin lecture, as well.

I'm not sure if he detailed the gimmick though.

I DO know in Indianapolis in 11' he did it, and was selling copies there.

I almost bought one. But I'm not into gimmicks for TNRs. (Just my personal choice though).

For a gimmicked one, I do like the sudden appearance. :)

I have never seen Descent.

L
[/quote]

Just pmd you the link.
JM
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 4, 2013 06:32PM)
I saw JM's version.

It is very visual.
Especially if it is non-gimmicked, and easy to get into.

I would not know the workings though.

I am familiar with Francis' gimmick, and it is clever.

But I think these are two different beasts, for sure.

Back to SMACK. lol. That is just funny today.
(And I guess the Decenter's should boost that thread, or make one. Not being negative at all. :) Just saying they should both have their threads and their own discussions going.)

I wish I was more controversial ;) (JK)
L
Message: Posted by: papercrane (Sep 4, 2013 09:41PM)
IAIN, Justin N. Miller and lokikross - I sent you guys a PM
Message: Posted by: Justin N. Miller (Sep 4, 2013 11:30PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 22:41, papercrane wrote:
IAIN, Justin N. Miller and lokikross - I sent you guys a PM
[/quote]

you as well.
JM
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 5, 2013 02:23AM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 22:41, papercrane wrote:
IAIN, Justin N. Miller and lokikross - I sent you guys a PM
[/quote]

I don't know why, really. You have my number.
L
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 5, 2013 02:31AM)
People just tend to stop posting after I do.
It is not like I intentionally do it.

I have been very honest and positive :)

If the thread dies, it's on the thread. Not me.

Best,
L
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 5, 2013 12:07PM)
Like I said.

I saw this back in Nov 2011 at a lecture in Indianapolis.

Francis was selling a few, (As he only had a few left) and you could tell the packaging had been around awhile. (Not tattered, but it had a dated art style.)

I personally like to make my fingers bleed doing TNRs. so I passed. But then I wanted one because I knew that doing a gimmicked TNR would be great for those that had seen my work before, or if I wanted a quicker "SMACK", or Bang to it.

In March 2012 (While filming at P3), I showed him Mythos, and he eagerly showed me SMACK again; this time showing me the workings.

And while I consider myself having mastered the piece by piece, I am seriously considering dropping money on this now; as I feel there are some definite benefits to the sudden production.
I especially like how the gimmick "vanishes" as the card appears. That is a very nice part of this effect.

I am glad that Francis finally let this go. I know what it is like to keep something from your 20's quiet, and share later with the world. (FAX).
It is exciting to release one of your "children" into the world, "all grown up" :)

Looking forward to more feedback on "SMACK", as I am a confessed TNR junkie. :P

Best,
L
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Sep 5, 2013 12:33PM)
For anyone that has this, can you expand on the level of sleight of hand required? Any sleights involved? Does the gimmick do all the work? Is the full routine aimed at beginners or experts?

THANKS guys....
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 5, 2013 12:45PM)
The TNR plot is a gerat one. J.C. Wagner had his where 3/4 was resorted. Tommy Wonder made the left over corner into a joke. David Williamson took the plot is a gerat direction ( David Blaine did it for Tyra Banks on one of his early sepcials ).

I think you should know a few and use the one for the situation you're in.

LokI Kross's "Mythos" from the "A Taste Of Chaos" DVD is perfect in situations where I'm not going for a visual "trick" but want them to connect with feeling deep inside themselves ( massive endorphin release for them ). They won't ask to "see something else" because you just took them on a journey and they are quite happy to be in the state they are;-)

Justin Miller's Decent from "The Bold Project" is an in your face reoration that will make them scream. Make sure you either are about to leave the scene or want to do more beacause the reactions will get attention. Of course, that's the time to stop;-)

SMACK's "Back In TIme" routine takes it more towards the surreal....and I vanish the gimmick from their hand ( was that too good to tip? ;-)

Those are the 3 I use and it depends on the group vibe as to which one I present.
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Sep 5, 2013 12:49PM)
Zombie, You are clued up, so I am curious, do you ever use the David Stone Tool principle? It is my TnR of choice... unbelievably clean, and doesn't really matter about being signed.... spectators don't csre that much I've found... the signature is more for magicians. Tool is like SMACK but you smack the deck with the empty card box....you can hand out the pieces for examination first. I am surprised the TOOL method NEVER gets talked about and compared to....
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 5, 2013 01:00PM)
Magicmarkworldwide2, I've never used David's prop. I've seen the TNR and it's very clever, just not what I'm going for ( I'm sure audiences love it,though ).
Message: Posted by: tomsk192 (Sep 5, 2013 01:53PM)
Would you say that smack was suitable for everyone, or just hardened users?
Message: Posted by: Merlin (Sep 5, 2013 01:58PM)
Didn't some one else have one where the torn pieces were on the top of the deck. You then slap the deck and the card is restored. Peter Eggink maybe?
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 5, 2013 02:05PM)
Yes. It is called "Ripped Up" and it is by Peter Eggink. The effect is just as you described. Penguin has it listed as discontinued.

RNK
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Sep 5, 2013 02:42PM)
Also don't forget about Wayne Fox Make Amends..... but this was pretty horrid to perform.
Message: Posted by: lokikross (Sep 5, 2013 02:51PM)
Hey guys!

I am in no way associated with this release, nor am I a close friend of Francis' (I had to pay him to be on FAX if that is any indication.)

But I feel this slew of comparisons to other work, (even my own), is de-railing Francis' efforts.

He is a pretty imaginative guy, and I would like to see hi new work on this, hear more about it.
He does not release his work very often, if at all.

All these comparisons could deter his enthusiasm to release more.

I stated very boldly, and with pure intent, "The TNR Debate is OVER" months ago.

But if you guys would like to have a healthy discussion over various TNRs and their merits, I suggest we make a thread for it and go to town.

I don't feel it is fair to Francis to have it here, as we are beginning to compare TNRs that aren't even like his.
(And if someone could make a "The Great TNR Debate" in the proper forum, you're a champion ;) )

I would like to know more about how his gimmick has advanced, personally.
I thought the original was clever.

So let's cut some Slack, get back on Track, and talk some "Smack". LOl.

Best,
L
Message: Posted by: TheGreatRaymondo (Sep 5, 2013 03:39PM)
I ordered it last night and today the guys at Penguin sent me a link to video that shows my specific order being
picked, packed and shipped!
Just how cool is that?
Well done Penguin a very nice touch.



[quote]
On 2013-09-04 16:31, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 16:28, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
Is this' available via any dealers in the UK?
I like it - a lot!
[/quote]

Penguin has their "PENGUIN FLAT-PACK™ World-wide free shipping" option. I use it here in the states when I just want the one item.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3481
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Justin N. Miller (Sep 5, 2013 04:37PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-05 14:58, Merlin wrote:
Didn't some one else have one where the torn pieces were on the top of the deck. You then slap the deck and the card is restored. Peter Eggink maybe?
[/quote]

The first one to ever do that is Alex De'Cova back in the early 90s and it is called Flash Restoration. It is a beautiful effect, but the clean up was seriously lacking in friendly walk-around or close up work. It was designed as as a table effect more than anything. That was my inspiration for what I came up with.
JM
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Sep 6, 2013 08:24AM)
Sorry Justin, you're right. My keyboard for stuck.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 12, 2013 07:48AM)
Anyone get this yet? A friend of mine bought this and shared with me the workings. Now- this is not a knock against Francis- he seems to be a very nice person- but as far as the effect- I can't see how this is a step forward in the TnR plot. I believe it's a step backwards- when the exact same effect can be done without worrying if a certain something may break during performance. Not to mention you have to use another certain something to achieve the end result. Further- without really caring for the gimmick it will break at one point and hopefully that point is not during a performance. End result- if I have to worry about the gimmick breaking when I can achieve the exact same effect without having to use a gimmick- then I can't see how this is a step forward. I am surprised of those that say this is good when other methods already out are so much cleaner which you do not have to worry about anything breaking.

RNK
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 12, 2013 10:46AM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-12 08:48, RNK wrote:
Anyone get this yet? A friend of mine bought this and shared with me the workings. Now- this is not a knock against Francis- he seems to be a very nice person- but as far as the effect- I can't see how this is a step forward in the TnR plot. I believe it's a step backwards- when the exact same effect can be done without worrying if a certain something may break during performance. Not to mention you have to use another certain something to achieve the end result. Further- without really caring for the gimmick it will break at one point and hopefully that point is not during a performance. End result- if I have to worry about the gimmick breaking when I can achieve the exact same effect without having to use a gimmick- then I can't see how this is a step forward. I am surprised of those that say this is good when other methods already out are so much cleaner which you do not have to worry about anything breaking.

RNK
[/quote]

I've used this for almost a month and have had zero issues. Worry about breakage? I've made others up in different deck colors/desgigns and I'd be more worried about mine breaking.

IT breaks ( thankfully or every kid on the planet would use it ). I couldn't imagine not using it just because there's a chance it will break.

If the SMACK gimmick did break in time, so what? It's torn up pieces of card, so it still looks exactly what it should be. If anyone couldn't recover from this, they should take up stamp collecting.

Ever see the outakes on some prjects? DL's are missed, coins dropped, the deck not set up in order. All sorts of things happen in performance.

A well known Magician did a coin trick for David Blaine and his flipper broke right in David's hand. "Things" happen.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 12, 2013 10:55AM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-12 11:46, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-12 08:48, RNK wrote:
Anyone get this yet? A friend of mine bought this and shared with me the workings. Now- this is not a knock against Francis- he seems to be a very nice person- but as far as the effect- I can't see how this is a step forward in the TnR plot. I believe it's a step backwards- when the exact same effect can be done without worrying if a certain something may break during performance. Not to mention you have to use another certain something to achieve the end result. Further- without really caring for the gimmick it will break at one point and hopefully that point is not during a performance. End result- if I have to worry about the gimmick breaking when I can achieve the exact same effect without having to use a gimmick- then I can't see how this is a step forward. I am surprised of those that say this is good when other methods already out are so much cleaner which you do not have to worry about anything breaking.

RNK
[/quote]

I've used this for almost a month and have had zero issues. Worry about breakage? I've made others up in different deck colors/desgigns and I'd be more worried about mine breaking.

IT breaks ( thankfully or every kid on the planet would use it ). I couldn't imagine not using it just because there's a chance it will break.

If the SMACK gimmick did break in time, so what? It's torn up pieces of card, so it still looks exactly what it should be. If anyone couldn't recover from this, they should take up stamp collecting.

Ever see the outakes on some prjects? DL's are missed, coins dropped, the deck not set up in order. All sorts of things happen in performance.

A well known Magician did a coin trick for David Blaine and his flipper broke right in David's hand. "Things" happen.





[/quote]


See your point Zombie- but the main point is this effect can be accomplished without the gimmick required in SMACK.

RNK
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 12, 2013 11:03AM)
You can do many effects without gimmicks: Haunted pack, Triumph, 3 Card Monte, Coins Across, 3-FLy....


......but they sure do come out with a lot of gimmicks for those. Gimmicks can add a special something to effects that can't be done with just sleight of hand ( by mere mortals ).

Horses for courses.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Sep 12, 2013 11:16AM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-12 12:03, Zombie Magic wrote:
You can do many effects without gimmicks: Haunted pack, Triumph, 3 Card Monte, Coins Across, 3-FLy....


......but they sure do come out with a lot of gimmicks for those. Gimmicks can add a special something to effects that can't be done with just sleight of hand ( by mere mortals ).

Horses for courses.
[/quote]

True- to each his own. Though- in the same sense some come out with gimmicks that do not enhance an effect that can be done with minimal sleights as I feel this is one of them. JM's Decent accomplished this with less sleights and gimmicks as required in SMACK.

RNK
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 12, 2013 11:19AM)
I use JM's Decent. It's fantastic. I use the Menotti gaff for Francis's Back In Time routine and vanish the gimmick from their hands.

2 different tricks. I'm glad I can do both, depending on what I'm going for.
Message: Posted by: magicinsight (Sep 12, 2013 11:22AM)
Zombie,

I like your idea of using this gimmick for JM"s Back in Time routine. However, I personally do not like this gimmick for the Smack routine and I personally do not care for the handling. It just seems a round about way of achieving the same result in other more direct ways.

Hope all is well.

Best wishes,

Michael
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 12, 2013 12:27PM)
Hi magicinsight!

The Back In Time routine I use is from the SMACK dvd. Their signed card is torn into pieces and placed on the open hand of another raudience member. I vanish them and the signed card is back on top of the deck, which they are holding.

As always, everyone should use what works best for them.
Message: Posted by: magicinsight (Sep 12, 2013 12:35PM)
Zombie,

Thank you for the clarification. I have Smack but I did not finsih watching the entire DVD as I was not too keen on the main effect. I will watch BAck in TIme.

Best wishes,

Michael
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Sep 12, 2013 01:28PM)
Francis put quite a bit on the DVD, routines, tips, moves, etc.
Message: Posted by: Oscar Zaldivar (Sep 12, 2013 02:52PM)
This looks incredible congratulations to Francis
Message: Posted by: TheGreatRaymondo (Sep 27, 2013 03:30PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-05 13:45, Zombie Magic wrote:
The TNR plot is a gerat one. J.C. Wagner had his where 3/4 was resorted. Tommy Wonder made the left over corner into a joke. David Williamson took the plot is a gerat direction ( David Blaine did it for Tyra Banks on one of his early sepcials ).

I think you should know a few and use the one for the situation you're in.

LokI Kross's "Mythos" from the "A Taste Of Chaos" DVD is perfect in situations where I'm not going for a visual "trick" but want them to connect with feeling deep inside themselves ( massive endorphin release for them ). They won't ask to "see something else" because you just took them on a journey and they are quite happy to be in the state they are;-)

Justin Miller's Decent from "The Bold Project" is an in your face reoration that will make them scream. Make sure you either are about to leave the scene or want to do more beacause the reactions will get attention. Of course, that's the time to stop;-)

SMACK's "Back In TIme" routine takes it more towards the surreal....and I vanish the gimmick from their hand ( was that too good to tip? ;-)

TThose are the 3 I use and it depends on the group vibe as to which one I present.
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: TheGreatRaymondo (Sep 27, 2013 03:33PM)
[quote]
On 2013-09-05 14:53, tomsk192 wrote:
Would you say that smack was suitable for everyone, or just hardened users?
[/quote]

If you can perform a one handed palm a shuttle pass and finger palm whilst being seriously burned then this is for you.
If not then maybe give it a wide berth.
Message: Posted by: daffydoug (Nov 21, 2013 07:36PM)
I ordered "Smack" and it arrived today. Personally, I think it's pretty cool!

I'm gonna work with it. Not afraid of the sleights involved. I smell fun!