(Close Window)
Topic: Flik by Alexis De La Fuente and World Magic Shop
Hello Guys

Thought you might like to see our latest effect: FLIK by Alexis De La Fuente.

Here is the link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-KFS_OjfE

Enjoy

Regards

Jon
Hello guys,

Alexis De La Fuente here ! Hope everyone of you are well :)

I hope that you will like Flik, if you want more informations, don't forget yo visit : http://www.worldmagicshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FLIK

I can't wait to hear yours feedbacks !
Nice choice of font! What's the name of this effect? :)
This looks very nice. Is this adaptable to business cards?
I see that it's a pre-order. When will it be released?

Any US distributors?
[quote]
On 2013-09-17 07:04, Alex DLF wrote:
Hello guys,

Alexis De La Fuente here ! Hope everyone of you are well :)

I hope that you will like Flik, if you want more informations, don't forget yo visit : http://www.worldmagicshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FLIK

I can't wait to hear yours feedbacks !
[/quote]

Didn't see any other details on the site. Can you tell us more. Do g******s come with this or do we make them. Are there any refills to buy.

Thanks,
You receive the gimmick already made so you can perform right after receiving it ! You also get additional stuff yo make or remake others gimmick :)
Love moving hole effects. Pot Hole is my all time favorote. Looking toward to reviews on this one.
Holy card! That was like real magic. (so much new stuff....so little money....). Can't wait for reviews.
I don't think it can be adapted with business cards, it's really designed to work with playing cards. It will be released in a week, at LADS :) WMS has free shipping so don't miss it if you wan't it quickly :)
Looks Good ALEX, will you be demming at the lads convention?
Unfortunately, I'm french so I live in France and my studies take me quite a lot of time :( I really wish I could be there but I can't.

I can tell you that it looks even better in real life :)
Hi Alex this looks great - congratulations! Just wondering if there is any reason why you didn't/couldnt show a full performance?
Thanks
That. Looks. Incredible.
[quote]
On 2013-09-17 13:17, Sean Fields wrote:
That. Looks. Incredible.
[/quote]

Wow, thanks a lot !

Why not a full performance ? I think that the trailer shows what the spectator will remember and maybe to keep some surprise for people who will buy the DVD :)

There isn't a lot of sleight of hands involved, only one technique which most of you know :)

I love visual things and this is one of those, quick, simple and visual.

I can't wait to ear more feedbacks from the trailer first and from the trick when it will be out :)
Congratulations Alex, that'll be worker of the week.
Cos of the font used, I wished you'd called it Holey Flik...
Hihi, I agree that the L and the I are quite close, maybe too much ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l20yILKXMDI
Looks like WMS beat tao to the punch by one day, that's rough.
And the ORIGINAL one (WMS) looks AMAZING!

JM
Thanks Justin, it means a lot !
I noticed the matching of the effects yesterday too!

I would consider PORTAL's demo release to beat WMS rather than the opposite. A genuine action that will allow tao to release the effect even if they share the same method.

Besides that, by the time portal's video is uploaded from july I do not see why "Flik" is the "original one". And by the way, we do not even know if the methods are common to judge. Instead we see pretty much identical performances which makes it illogical to say that only the one of them LOOKS AMAZING , exactly because they look the same.

This is an example of parallel inventions and I really do hope that they have different methods as it will prevent many problems that will be caused when the 2 effects will be released. The more I am watching the demos, the more I believe they do.
I've come up with Flick independantly in september 2012 and worked a few months on it before showing it to real people. They loved it so I asked WMS if they want to produce it. That's my story :)

People seems to like it a lot, I'm really pleased ! More feedbacks from the trailer ? :P

Thanks !
I think it's visually stunning!
Though I'm keen to see a few more performances in full to get a feel for the whole effect.
After some thinking, it may be applicable to business cards :) shouldn't be too hard to make one based on the actual gimmick which is provided with the DVD. I made one with my business cards and it looks great !
That demo video was FLIKIN AWESOME!
I really think this is one of the most visual bits of magic I have seen.
I hope it is as cool in the real as it is in the video.
Will add this to my want list!

I am not sure why a performance video is so critical.
The "trick" is what it is.
The demo shows the most important part..the effect. Uncut and CLEAR.
I am not too concerned with patter and routine as I hope everyone comes up with their own ideas. That is the fun part.

I gotta say the Logo font threw me for a loop the first time I read it.
Took me back to my comic book days when Eric Larsen created a character named CLINT FLICKER.
With the proper tight spacing..you get the joke.
Thanks a lot Chance Wolf ! I made a quick video to show you the effect with a business card, I will post it here ASAP :)
[quote]
On 2013-09-17 06:56, Nojrraf wrote:
Hello Guys

Thought you might like to see our latest effect: FLIK by Alexis De La Fuente.

Here is the link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-KFS_OjfE

Enjoy

Regards

Jon
[/quote]

UNREAL! Absolutely beautiful!

Excellent travail, Monsieur Alexis!
Merci beaucoup Monsieur Zombie ;)

Flik will be launch on Sunday and will be able to get it from most of dealers the week after :)

The video with the business card is shot, don't have too much time now but it will be here before saturday ;)
Alex is a good guy.
A passionate with a clever and fertile brain!
I predict a lot of tricks,lot of gimmicks very soon!
Félicitations a toi!
Thanks for all the comments ! 3 days until the release, I'm more than excited !

For those who asked, here is the uncut video of Flik with a business card, hope you will like :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXSaLw6aa_4
Looks crazy cool. Just prue eye candy. Its on my list. Waiting for reviews.
And again, what you see in the video is what people will see in real life, that's why we included live footages ;)
And again, what you see in the video is what people will see in real life, that's why we included live footages ;)
How about the reset if you are asked to show it again? I'm probably asking for too much but can you do this again immediately at the same table with another spectator signing a different card from your deck?
Never show an effect a 2nd time for the same people. Golden rule.
The reset is about.. 5 seconds and can be done while walking to another table. I often do it in front of people since they don't see anything and they don't know what I am doing. So you can easily do it in front of people but I do recommend not to show the effect another time as for all the tricks you perform ;)
Penguin Magic has it in stock and ready to ship.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3741

This product also qualifies for PENGUIN FLAT-PACK™ (World-wide free shipping)

I just spent 10 minutes playing with this and what you see on the demo is the real deal.
I just spent 10 minutes playing with it and I can tell you:

The demo is for real...it really is that clean.

-The reset takes 3 seconds

-It comes in blue but it come with enough stuff to make a another gimmick.

-Easy to perform and great for strolling.

Thanks a lot ! I hope others reviews will be as good as yours ;) you have to try it on people too, they will love it :)
[quote]
On 2013-10-01 09:50, MR Effecto wrote:
Never show an effect a 2nd time for the same people. Golden rule.
[/quote]

I know but I just love tricks where you can safely get away with breaking all the rules.
Love the looks of this. I just wonder how the clean up is- if after the FLIK you have to come back to the deck with the card before handing it out? This part is not shown on the demo.

Anyone?

RNK
Got the answer- Alex was kind enough to PM me with a response. Thank you Alex! Best of Luck with FLIK- a very nice visual effect!

RNK
Everything is well covered on the DVD :) the handling is quite easy, you really don't need to be a sleight master to accomplish Flik :)

If you have any, even if you think they are dumb, question, don't hesitate to shot me a pm :)
I truly was amazed at how simple it was to perform. It surprised me the first time I did it.

I almost fooled myself with the trick I was performing.

I like the eye popping moment and designed it to be like that. So even if you know how it works and everything, it's still a magical moment. So imagine people who don't know how it works !

This was the trick that people talk to me after, when I meet them again.

You don't have to hold the card vertical, as at the beginning of the trailer, you can have the card horizontal and people watching down :)
How durable is the gimmick?

Thank you.
Michael
The gimmick should last some times. I use mine, something like 4 to 5 times a week (having practiced before with it, loads of time) and the gimmick is still here ! Maybe it will last 300/400 hundred Fliks (it's an approximation, maybe yours will last a little less but mine have more than 300 Fliks and it works perfect !) and even if you think it doesn't work as well as the beginning, you have more material in the DVD to repare it or remake others gimmicks :)
Another review from someone on the youtube page :

"I back up what Alexis says. The hole punched in the spec's card is real and they can examine it. They then see the hole move in an instant as you flick it... it is still a real hole and they can see clearly through it. And of course they can keep their holed signed card as a souvenir
Alexis explains the handling and presentation well and the video is concise
It's a nice effect even when you know what to expect; but particularly powerful for the spec who doesn't know what's coming"
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but is that first transition, with the card just on the table and not touched - is that actually possible to do? Because the freaked me out! That's definitely not possible, and if it is, sign me up!!!!
At 17 seconds into the trailer is the moment I'm taking about.
Well is it ;) the only thing is that you don't have as control as the Flik one. But it's doable :)
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to let you know that I reviewed Flik in the latest episode of Unwrapped!

Take a look
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=527339&forum=218&22

Kyle
Kyle shows a complete performance of the effect in the real world in his show. This answers some of the questions posted above. I just received this. I have not performed it yet but it does some quite practical and does look as good as the demo. Although a small detail, it does not quite come with everything you would need to make up a red version although I am sure you could do so with little effort.
Thanks Kyle !

And thanks Xcath :) as you state, it looks as good as in the video. And yes, with some thought, you can make a red version of it easily.
I would like to thank you guys so much for bringing Flik in the top 10 at Penguin. It's really great to see that others like Flik and for those who bought it, don't forget to put a review here ;)
I had an idea as to the method before purchasing and thought I would be dissapointed if it used the method I was thinking. My curiousity got the best of me and I purchased this.

I just received it and the method is totally different from what I thought. Very practical, very effective, very nice!

Love it!

KJ
I don't own this yet... I bought it and its on the way. I'm really looking forward to it.... I had one little concern and I thought I would contact Alexis. I was sure surprised by his helpfulness and willingness to answer my question. To be honest, as well as I like the effect, I certainly could live without it. HOWEVER, after speaking with him (via email) I found that I really appreciated his effort and I decided to purchase. I'll give a real review after it arrives and I've worked with the gimmick.

In the meantime, THANK YOU Alexis. I appreciate your time. We need people like you! :)

best to all,
Bk
I'm hoping I'm wrong, but need to ask this question since now with reviews I've seen this done a number of times, and each time, and left confused as to what the spectator is supposed to actually think.

They sign their name on the left side of the card.

You punch a hole in the left side of the card.

You then Flik the hole to the right side of the card.

You hand them back their card and the hole is WHERE? In the demos I've seen, it looks like the hole is exactly where you originally punched it - on the left side of the card. If so, I'm not sure what the end result is supposed to be - is it supposed to be that the hole jumped back as well? Because the demos don't show that, yet when I see the spectator holding the card at the end, that's where the hole is - right where it was punched.

Or have the demos I'm watching been done poorly and the hole is on the right side (in this example) when you hand them back the card?

Thanks,
Bart
Not sure what demo you've seen, Bart. From what I can see, the whole is punched when the card is face down. Since there is no "left side and right side" of a face down card and since the whole moves to a symmetrical position on the opposite side of the card -- there is no inconsistency at all. The only inconsistency would be if you showed the face of the card after you punched the whole but before you moved it (which I wouldn't do).
Hmmmm.

How come I have not seen any ads for this?

ⱭD
We explain it in the DVD. The routine is : you punch a hole, with a Flik, it moves and after you can show people that it has moved. We explain a little subtlety in the DVD that cells the fact the hole has jumped.

You can show the face of the card after having punched it, I won't say too much why but those who have the trick will understand :)

And also, the handling was thought so they see a hole at one place and after, it is at the other side.

So the hole just jump once.

Thanks again for those kind word, it is truly amazing..
In this video, you do not show the act of hole-punching the business card. If I were to purchase this, can I do it the same way on my business card (without showing the act of hole-punching), but having the spectator sign the business card?

Regards,
Mike

[quote]
On 2013-09-26 13:29, Alex DLF wrote:
Thanks for all the comments ! 3 days until the release, I'm more than excited !

For those who asked, here is the uncut video of Flik with a business card, hope you will like :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXSaLw6aa_4
[/quote]
Completely :) the routine with cards can easily be done with business cards, same moves, pretty similar gimmick and you can punch the hole in front of the spectator and let them handle the punched card with their signature ;)

I do recommend darker business to make it better :)
Is any sleight of hand required? Like a double lift, in order to complete the effect?

Regards,
Mike
You can see a full performance right here (by Kyle Marlett), you should have your answers ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7EuaY225mA
Can you make the hole move without flicking the card?
Yes and no :) You saw that piece in the trailer, at 00:17, so it is doable in the real world. As I said, you won't have as much control as you have with the Flik but you can still do it !
Alex,
I purchased and received this early this morning but only had 60 seconds for a quick glance and had to run.
What I saw looked VERY cool! Me likey!!!
My thought was to try and combine it with "Tag" since that's a favorite of mine and already requires a hole punch.

I was planning on making a red version since I am primarily a red guy. :)
Does blue look significantly better?
Am thinking maybe that is why you opted for blue.
Just curious your opinion, at the next opportunity I will see for myself.
Thanks,
Bill
Combine that with Tag could be awesome ! First do Flik and then go into Tag ! :) Thanks for your review :D

Why blue ? Well that's a hard question. In fact, I honestly thought it looks better in blue (for some reasons, you will maybe understand if you have the trick) and believe me, I made quite a few red gimmicks before being able to choose. Even if the red card / black surface under it has a nice contrast, people see clearly the hole moved with the blue gimmick. And I use more blue decks than red so that was quite a personnal choice :) As you state, making a red gimmick with the stuff provided won't cost you too much money and time :)

One tip is to, if you can, wear black shirt or tee shirt or some colored clothes to make a good contrast with the blue card.

Each gimmick is handmade by me so I put a lot of care into them.
No answer to the "any sleights required question"
Since insight pmed me his question because he don't wan't to expose anything, I didn't answer it here. But I don't think saying just a DL is nedeed for it will give too much away :)
[quote]
On 2013-10-10 13:03, Alex DLF wrote:
You can see a full performance right here (by Kyle Marlett), you should have your answers ;)

[/quote]

This is one of the demos I was talking about in my earlier question. In this video
0:57 - spectator signs one side of the card
1:11 - hole is punched in card
1:18 - spectator can see exactly where the hole is punched on the front of the card
1:38 - hole Fliks to other side
1:46 - card is handed back to spectator with the hole in exactly the same place it was originally punched.

What am I missing?
Kyle didn't do the handling we taught on the DVD. In the DVD, we explain everything you have to do to make the spectator feel that the hole has moved.

So if you follow the handling taught on the DVD, people will really think the hole has jumped, trust me.

But the interesting fact is that the woman doesn't seem to notice that, maybe it was luck :)
[quote]
On 2013-10-10 14:27, Alex DLF wrote:
Combine that with Tag could be awesome ! First do Flik and then go into Tag ! :) Thanks for your review :D

Why blue ? Well that's a hard question. In fact, I honestly thought it looks better in blue (for some reasons, you will maybe understand if you have the trick) and believe me, I made quite a few red gimmicks before being able to choose. Even if the red card / black surface under it has a nice contrast, people see clearly the hole moved with the blue gimmick. And I use more blue decks than red so that was quite a personnal choice :) As you state, making a red gimmick with the stuff provided won't cost you too much money and time :)

One tip is to, if you can, wear black shirt or tee shirt or some colored clothes to make a good contrast with the blue card.

Each gimmick is handmade by me so I put a lot of care into them.
[/quote]

Actually, my initial thought was the other way around and use Flik AFTER Tag as a follow-up kicker, much the same as I perform using STC after a signed card routine, which works really well for me.
But it is true that I would then probably want them to sign another card rather than just using the already signed card like I do for STC. Ahh, but isn't half the fun experimenting and working all these things out?
I will make up a red one and see how it goes. My preference would be to have both red and blue anyway so no harm in trying. I don't think I need to cannibalize the blue one in order to make a red but didn't get a chance to check it out enough to see for sure.

Anyway, I'll report back later when I've had a chance to really look it over. But as I said before, so far I am very happy with what I see. The true test will be how long it lasts, hopefully I will get similar results to what you estimated.
[quote]
On 2013-10-10 16:36, barts185 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-10-10 13:03, Alex DLF wrote:

[/quote]

This is one of the demos I was talking about in my earlier question. In this video
0:57 - spectator signs one side of the card
1:11 - hole is punched in card
1:18 - spectator can see exactly where the hole is punched on the front of the card
1:38 - hole Fliks to other side
1:46 - card is handed back to spectator with the hole in exactly the same place it was originally punched.

What am I missing?

[/quote]

I agree with you totally buddy.

On the DVD it is quite clearly explained why you have both sides of the court card signed.

I was disappointed that this was missed out on this review.

I agree

Dave
[quote]
On 2013-09-17 18:06, Justin N. Miller wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l20yILKXMDI
Looks like WMS beat tao to the punch by one day, that's rough.
And the ORIGINAL one (WMS) looks AMAZING!

JM
[/quote]

Some say Flik is like Portal or other way around. Can Flik be shown front and back after the hole moves like in this video? And I like that the hole moves without flicking the card. I understand Portal may or may not be released, so if I pick up Flik, I'd like to be able to move the hole by shaking the card and turn it over to show the other side (albeit briefly and I understand the card is not signed). Thanks for your help.
The gimmick can not be shown on both sides. That being said, the gimmick disappears into the deck and there is nothing to find. You should pick it up, it's super clever and a real worker.
Yes, you can do the moving hole without the flik.

No, you can't show the other side of the card. :)
So, just to be clear, I want to make sure I understand this effect. (1) You have a card selected and signed; (2) you punch a hold in the card; (3) you show the face of the card so the spectator can see where the hole is; (4) after returning the card to deck and turning it face-down, you take the card, back to audience, and flick it -- causing the hole to visually jump from one side to the other; (5) you return the card to the top of the deck and turn it face-up; (6) you hand out the card by which it will be apparent to an observant spectator that the hole has not actually moved, but is in exactly the same place you originally punched it.

I understand that subtleties will be taught on the disk to suggest that the hole has moved. But as we all know, such subtleties do not work on everyone. Some will initially note the location of the hole in respect to their signature. Accordingly, it would appear that for many, the illusion will be completely destroyed when you return the card.

While I don't doubt this would be effective for audiences that don't pay any initial attention to the placement of hole, or are fooled by subtleties, it would seem to have limited usefulness for those that perform for more discerning spectators.
I don't think I am saying too much. It is recommended that both top and bottom margins of the card be signed so that there is symmetry. But no, it is not magic and I agree won't fool everyone.
I wouldn't do the handling you mentioned above, lumberjohn, unless you're actively trying to get the discrepancy noticed. I don't think they should ever get a long look at the front of the card PRE-move. The selection, signing, and hole-punching are all legitimate, so I don't think there should be heat on where the hole is on the front of the card (until it's too late).

If you're overly concerned, you could always have them mark the card in a way that is symmetrical. considering it's a free selection I don't know that a full signature is needed to establish that it's their card. You could just have them mark it with an X in the middle.

But I genuinely think if you just [i]flash[/i] the face of the card after it's punched (even with a signature) they're going to have a hard time remembering for sure the orientation of everything.
Okay, so the solution appears to be to either mark the card in such a way that it isn't clear which side the hole is on or to only briefly flash the card so the spectator can't determine which side the hole is on. In either case, the spectator won't know for sure on which side the hole began, and so will have no conviction that the hole has in fact moved.

I recall reading many books on magic theory containing a statement to the effect of "Before you turn an apple into an orange, your audience must be certain you started with an apple." In this effect, the orange is an orange all along, so you must only suggest you started with an apple. To me, that is a fatal flaw.
Magicsquared has nailed it !

In hundreds of performances, I never had a problem with a spectator saying "the hole is still here". But to each his own so maybe you could tty it out in the real world and see that your fears are not "real".

But I understand that you may think some people won't believe the hole has moved. It's your job and the flik gimmick job to cell the fact the hole has moved.

People who have bought it could comment if they have performed it for people :)
It seems to me that some may be overthinking this. I have performed this a few times... I've elected to have the card signed and other times not. Nobody has yet said "hey, the hole didn't move" and having the card signed hasn't seemed to change the reaction. so far it's given me a great reaction regardless.
I think that because they actually SEE it move or so they think, they don't seem to dwell on it. Of course, some of that, in my opinion, comes down to audience management. I rarely give them time to think too much about it.... I move on. Sometimes I think we worry too much about having a card signed. While it's a must in some cases, I'm not sure FLIK requires it, at least not by the reactions I've had so far.

Not everything is for everybody, but for me, this was money well spent. My guess is that I'll be using it a fair amount. Should you get one, I hope you get the same reactions I've had so far!

Best,
Bk
[quote]
On 2013-10-11 15:26, lumberjohn wrote:
Okay, so the solution appears to be to either mark the card in such a way that it isn't clear which side the hole is on or to only briefly flash the card so the spectator can't determine which side the hole is on. In either case, the spectator won't know for sure on which side the hole began, and so will have no conviction that the hole has in fact moved.

I recall reading many books on magic theory containing a statement to the effect of "Before you turn an apple into an orange, your audience must be certain you started with an apple." In this effect, the orange is an orange all along, so you must only suggest you started with an apple. To me, that is a fatal flaw.
[/quote]

Your analogy only holds up if this wasn't a [i]visual[/i] movement of a hole. But the movement IS visual. they see it in position A, then it's in position B, with no cover. The audience doesn't know the original location of the hole is important [b]until after it has moved[/b], at which point, it's too late.

The apple/orange comparison is often used for things like a coin exchange in two closed fists. that can be hard for an audience to follow. But if a penny visually changes into a dime the change has been established by the visual nature, NOT by a post-trick analysis of the current state being compared to the former state. Similarly with this trick, the movement is established by them seeing the hole move.
"It flies."
"Laypeople don't notice."
"I've gotten great reactions."

I don't doubt the sincerity of these responses and others like them. What they come down to is "It's good enough." Perhaps so. The "flicking" action sure looks great, and that alone may be sufficiently "magical" to justify a purchase even if the hole doesn't actually move.

It just depends on your standards and what you are looking for in a trick.
I haven't yet used this, but have no doubt that I will.
I agree that some may be overthinking this. It is best as a quickie. If someone starts to comment that the hole didn't really move I would quickly interject and spread the deck and say here put your card back in the deck and boom, the cards gone, oh look it's in my pocket, now check this out and go on from there. IOW, take what I call the Greg Wilson approach and don't allow them to decide what they want to focus on, you make them focus on what YOU want them to.

I don't view this effect as a big stand-alone featured effect. I see it more as quick eye candy to quickly follow another routine that leaves them wondering if they really witnessed what they think they did. Perhaps I will use an optical illusion storyline or something.
I even think Alex over-thinks a little too. The demo on the DVD prefers to use a court card signed on both ends. That's too much trouble for my use, since my routine will be very quick and I will already have a hole punch in play.

It all depends on you intend to use it. For my desires it works beautifully and was a good purchase.
[quote]
On 2013-10-11 16:19, lumberjohn wrote:
"It flies."
"Laypeople don't notice."
"I've gotten great reactions."

I don't doubt the sincerity of these responses and others like them. What they come down to is "It's good enough." Perhaps so. The "flicking" action sure looks great, and that alone may be sufficiently "magical" to justify a purchase even if the hole doesn't actually move.

[/quote]

I've made similar arguments to yours in dozens of threads on this board. Too often we underestimate the intelligence of our spectators.

But in this case I don't see the issue. The types of things I've seen spectators pounce on are logical inconsistencies,not discrepancies. And in this case, the discrepancy can be avoided altogether in a number of ways. But even if you don't go the route to hide the discrepancy, I think unless you telegraph what's about to happen it's unlikely to be noticed.

That being said, there are plenty of tricks a lot of people like but there is one niggling detail about them that just turn me off and I'd never perform them. Which is good. Or else I'd probably have a crippling magic-buying habit, as opposed to just being a functional addict. And this might just be one of those tricks for you.

I actually don't even own it myself. Although after talking about it so much I definitely now want to pick it up. The turn off to me was walking around with a hole-puncher, which changes the feeling from "here's a weird, magical moment" to "here's something I practiced and planned on performing today," which is never the vibe I'm going for.
But here, we're not talking about a discrepancy. The entire point of the trick is that the hole moves from one side of the card to another. That is the effect. And it doesn't. It remains exactly where you punched it.

Again, I fully expect this will play just fine for most audiences. But as you say, there is one "niggling detail" . . .
[quote]
On 2013-10-11 16:19, lumberjohn wrote:

[/quote]

But the hole legitimately DOES move, they see it move right in front of their eyes. The clever gimmick makes that possible.
But I understand the point you are making, and I think there are several ways to work around this if you feel you must.

One way would be to not have the card signed at all, which for this trick I'm not sure you are really losing anything because the magical moment is the visible hole jumping. It defies the laws of nature to do that regardless of the card used. It's almost a moot point as to which card this happens to. For that matter I suppose you wouldn't really even need them to select a card at all. To me it's very similar to an effect like cig thru coin where you typically don't have a coin selected, just have it examined before and after the impossible occurrence.

Or perhaps they sign the card and while they are still holding it you ask them to hold it face down by one corner. You then the punch the hole, clearly demonstrate that it is a genuine hole and then take the card from them and only display it very briefly (possibly even using your other hand to partially obscure it if you feel it necessary) so they cannot be positive of the hole in relation to their signature. Or use whatever method you decide is best in order to prevent them from being sure of the actual location of the hole on the face of the card.

I don't have the prop in front of me so can't say for sure how practical this next method would be, but it did occur to me earlier today after reading a couple posts in this thread that perhaps first you could perform a type of the ol' sucker gag (Watch, I will do it invisibly first) where you apparently slide the hole to another location but they believe you are just being silly and the hole they now see is actually still the original hole in the original location. Then you say I can tell you are not impressed so this time I'll make it go back visibly and flick it and BOOM the hole jumps visibly back to the "original" spot and is then shown to be their signed card that they can keep if desired.

In any case, my point here is that I think it is very possible to work out a presentation to get over the obstacles you see in the trick.

But if others decide that the same obstacles do not exist for them then I don't think you should imply that their standards are lower than yours. Could just be a case where you are running without being chased.
[quote]
On 2013-10-11 18:00, lumberjohn wrote:
But here, we're not talking about a discrepancy. The entire point of the trick is that the hole moves from one side of the card to another. That is the effect. And it doesn't. It remains exactly where you punched it.

Again, I fully expect this will play just fine for most audiences. But as you say, there is one "niggling detail" . . .
[/quote]

From their perspective it doesn't remain in the same place, it moves from one side to the other. They see this with their eyes. And after it has moved there is really no way to backtrack if you perform this properly.

Think of it this way, if you didn't have the card signed (and since it's a free choice there's no need to) then your complaint is moot. So for people who think that will be an issue, that's definitely the way to go. Others will like the idea of a signed card and feel it's worth staging the effect in such a way that the spectator never really absorbs the necessary information to say "the hole didn't REALLY move." I'm not really a risk taker in magic, but I would be more than comfortable taking that risk.
If they see the apple turn into the orange then there is no flaw.
James
ps
This idea is from Darwin Ortiz' lecture

[quote]
On 2013-10-11 15:26, lumberjohn wrote:

[/quote]
Anyone considred following this up with TAG?

Is this possible for those who own Flik??
[quote]
On 2013-10-12 06:10, bond19 wrote:
Anyone considred following this up with TAG?

Is this possible for those who own Flik??

[/quote]

It's completely possible ;)
Don't own this. Watched the demo once. Fooled me bad.

This thing about whether the spectators will believe the hole moved... Come on. Flash the face if you want, add a little time misdirection, do the change and, boom, they'll be amazed. Seriously, they are not going to scrutinize where you punched the hole because there is no reason to. They don't know what you are going to do. And why show the face at all? It such a visual moment. Does it really matter if they see the face before you move it? Maybe but I don't know.

I just think these issues can totally be worked out very easily. Its a sweet looking effect.
A 1/4 inch punch hole matches the hole in the Flik gimmick for those who needed to know what size punch hole to get.
Michael
I don't know if I'd use this, but I don't think anyone is going to notice that the hole remains similarly oriented to the signature after they see the hole visually jump. If one feels that a sharp spectator may notice, there is no reason to give them a clear visual hook to remember in terms of hole and signature before the jump. It is the spectators card that gets punched and it is or can be done slowly and openly without the signature and hole being seen together to establish orientation pre-jump.

A word of note from the Murphy's review, stand back just a bit when you do the flik, lest overly curious spectators become grabby.
I purchased this because frankly I was fooled by the demo. I assumed there was a switch but the are great and I am not concerned about the inconsistencies that are bothering some of the posters.
I have however had trouble with the mechanics. The material to trigger the effect I find uncontrollable and now just with practice (I have not had it outside for a spin) the gimmick is partially torn. You are given the material to make another but will be writing to World Magic Shop to ask for another gimmick. The creator as you can see has been on the boards and has been helpful in PMs but either the trick is too finicky for my taste or certain details of the setup should be explained in greater detail. It is possible that I am one of the few with this problem but I thought it was fair to post my experience.
I have a general rule against buying gimmicked cards for just this reason but have had so much fun with Sharpie through card and envylope I thought I would give it a try. I don't expect thoses gimmicks to last forever either but they are reliable enough that I have already worked them extensively in the real world.
Strange thing Xcath :( I'll be honest, I use my gimmick almost every week and it's in perfect condition. But as you have to Flik the card, I understand that your gimmick have some damage. I would be happy to send you a new one :) Just give me your adress via pm !
Regarding the hole/signature discrepancy.
Couldn't you just give the card a casual spin/rotation as a subtle flourish after you turn the card face down and BEFORE you punch the hole?
It seems it would create just enough "confusion" to not bother trying to back track.
Not sure if this is too simple a solution.
Let us know your thoughts.
[quote]
On 2013-10-12 16:07, Chance Wolf wrote:
Regarding the hole/signature discrepancy.
Couldn't you just give the card a casual spin/rotation as a subtle flourish after you turn the card face down and BEFORE you punch the hole?
It seems it would create just enough "confusion" to not bother trying to back track.
Not sure if this is too simple a solution.
Let us know your thoughts.
[/quote]

I really think you don't have to be affraid of the fact the hole being at the same place. As Cameron said, they don't know what will happend so you don't have to care. You have lots of possibilities :

- not show the face

- Make a flourish, as you state

- Let them sign the card on both end (as we told on the DVD)

- Flash the face without letting the spectator take a closer look

- To not make sign the card

I really don't think this is an issue since I've performed Flik hundreds of time without being asking "Wait.. This hole is at the same place !".

But some people could be afraid about it.. Before trying it in the real word ! ;)
If one is looking for things that spectators could possibly question in this routine, I would think the act of placing their card onto the deck only to immediately remove it again would be #1, not the placement of the hole. But no mention is made of that here, but I suppose that may be because it has become common enough as to no longer bother most magicians. But that was my first "problem" with the routine as that is simply a pet peeve of mine, even though I admit to using it when necessary. I think both "flaws" fly right past people.

Of course if you use the creator's suggestion of signing both ends of the card then the hole placement is no longer an issue. I just don't think it necessary to bother doing that. The spec has no reason to pay any attention to the where the hole is initially, and time misdirection along with the visual shock of the hole jumping would certainly create plenty of doubt about any recollection they may have of the hole.
I just watched the video. It is an easy to do and very visual effect. It is explained clearly and thoughly. I look forward in taking it out for a spin. Highly recomended from what I have seen so far.

Michael
I have been using this for a bit now, and it works just great! I have not experienced any "finickyness" to it. I have come to the conclusion that I can do this without a certain component and then I have total control over it. However, it works great as devised, and works great without the certain component.

Also, I have built a version of this that allows both sides of the card to be shown. If you watch his DVD, it will be easy to understand how you could do the same. I have also built a version of this using business cards, works great!. Having a LOT of moving hole effects, and having created a moving hole effect myself, I would say that this is THE BEST MOVING HOLE EFFECT, PERIOD.

Also, I was VERY impressed with his teaching on the DVD. Very nice, thorough work.

IMO, this is a MUST have.

KJ
[quote]
On 2013-09-18 12:17, Harrismatic wrote:
I noticed the matching of the effects yesterday too!

I would consider PORTAL's demo release to beat WMS rather than the opposite. A genuine action that will allow tao to release the effect even if they share the same method.

Besides that, by the time portal's video is uploaded from july I do not see why "Flik" is the "original one". And by the way, we do not even know if the methods are common to judge. Instead we see pretty much identical performances which makes it illogical to say that only the one of them LOOKS AMAZING , exactly because they look the same.

This is an example of parallel inventions and I really do hope that they have different methods as it will prevent many problems that will be caused when the 2 effects will be released. The more I am watching the demos, the more I believe they do.
[/quote]

Is PORTAL being released? Would be great to be able to compare / contrast these.
Since this seems to only come in blue, and I want to use this with red cards and my business cards, is there enough material included where I will be able to make up a red gimmick and a business card gimmick?
Hello Bart !

As 1KJ states, you can make more than one gimmick with the material provided. The red version will need a little bit of thinking but not something really hard ;) And even after making a red gimmick, you will have enough material left to repair the blue one AND to make a business card version of it !

No fears to have :)

Thanks 1KJ by the way for this awesome review !
My thoughts on combining this with TAG are to do Flik first, with a business card. Then you tie the string for TAG through the hole that just moved on the business card. Then you have them sign a card and do TAG. They are left with both the business card and the signed card, both of which just had impossible things happen to them.
[quote]
On 2013-10-13 10:22, Alex DLF wrote:
Hello Bart !

As 1KJ states, you can make more than one gimmick with the material provided. The red version will need a little bit of thinking but not something really hard ;) And even after making a red gimmick, you will have enough material left to repair the blue one AND to make a business card version of it !

No fears to have :)

Thanks 1KJ by the way for this awesome review !
[/quote]

Thanks, ordering now.
[quote]
On 2013-10-13 10:23, barts185 wrote:
My thoughts on combining this with TAG are to do Flik first, with a business card. Then you tie the string for TAG through the hole that just moved on the business card. Then you have them sign a card and do TAG. They are left with both the business card and the signed card, both of which just had impossible things happen to them.
[/quote]

Great idea ! You are free to use Flik with any trick you want to ! You can even sign the back of the gimmick or put, if you do magic for a compagny, a sticker with company logo on the back of your gimmick..
[quote]
On 2013-10-13 10:15, barts185 wrote:
Since this seems to only come in blue, and I want to use this with red cards and my business cards, is there enough material included where I will be able to make up a red gimmick and a business card gimmick?

[/quote]

Let us know how it goes using your business cards. As someone who owns the trick, I would think it would not be as deceptive unless your cards have a lot of printing on them or are of a certain color.
Also, since everyone knows that your entire stack of cards are the same, wondering how that might affect things?
I'm not saying it can't look fantastic, I just have concerns about it, but have not personally tried it. Mainly because it would not look very good at all with my current business card.
So be aware that there is a good chance you will have to have new cards made with this trick in mind.

However, one thing that I really do like about using business cards, is working it out so the card really is given back to them with the hole clearly in a different position than when it started. Although the same could be done with playing cards too but would change the nature of it.
That's why we sell a playing card version of Flik :)

With minimal thinking, you can make it in another color, even another back design if you have the thing needed. The business card version I published is here to show that it is possible to make a business card version :)) but I agree with you, darker business cards will be more deceptive.

People are coming with their own handlings, which is great ! Some people may want a little bit more freedom, control so they use this instead of that, really cool !

Did people actually tried Flik in the real world ? I know bobby did and got strong reactions.
[quote]
On 2013-10-13 13:10, videoman wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-10-13 10:15, barts185 wrote:

[/quote]

Let us know how it goes using your business cards. As someone who owns the trick, I would think it would not be as deceptive unless your cards have a lot of printing on them or are of a certain color.
Also, since everyone knows that your entire stack of cards are the same, wondering how that might affect things?
I'm not saying it can't look fantastic, I just have concerns about it, but have not personally tried it. Mainly because it would not look very good at all with my current business card.
So be aware that there is a good chance you will have to have new cards made with this trick in mind.

However, one thing that I really do like about using business cards, is working it out so the card really is given back to them with the hole clearly in a different position than when it started. Although the same could be done with playing cards too but would change the nature of it.

[/quote]

I will let you know once I get it and see what I have to do to make it work with business cards. Thanks for the heads-up about what is needed on the card. My cards do have a decent amount of printing on them (look a lot like my avatar), but are not dark in color. I'm actually currently in the process of designing a "more serious" one (as opposed to the cartoony one I currently use) for different venues, will take the color consideration into account.
It includes enough stuff to make another gimmick. It could work with a business card, it would depend on what is printed on the card.
Somebody pm'ed with an idea and it is absolutely awesome ! If you don't like the thing you have to had to the gimmick, if you don't care about working a little bit and you want more "control" over it (especially for the no-Flik version) then this is the way to go :)
Are you going to share this idea with us
It's not mine but during the making process of the gimmicks, I thought that if we used this kind of stuff, it could be cool. It's an idea from trickyRicky so I will ask him if he agrees to share this idea which I'm sure he will; ;)
Hello everyone,

Mickael Chatelain posted a review on a french forum so I just translate it to you here.

"Just a quick word on Flik,
I had the chance to do a lecture at LAD's for World Magic Shop so I could took a look at Flik few hours before the release.
What can I say ?
The effect is as beautiful in live as in video !
The gimmicked card is wonderful, really well crafted for a very visual trick.
I think Alexis did very well for a first trick. I think that you will be surprised by Flik !
I am nobody to judge a trick or and effect but the craftmanship is really great and It needs to be said.
Do like me, take Flik without an hesitation because it's simply beautiful"

Wow ! This is quite good from somebody that I consider to be a master in gimmicks.. Thanks again Mickael !
I do something that is perhaps similar. When preparing the gimmick, there is a certain something that holds it in place. If you skip that step, then you can simply hold the gimmick with your fingers. This gives a bit more control. However, I find the gimmick works well both ways.
KJ.
[quote]
On 2013-10-15 16:07, 1KJ wrote:
I do something that is perhaps similar. When preparing the gimmick, there is a certain something that holds it in place. If you skip that step, then you can simply hold the gimmick with your fingers. This gives a bit more control. However, I find the gimmick works well both ways.
KJ.
[/quote]

I have tried that but then that requires setting it in front of specs during performance, which has its own issues at least when I have tried it. Or am I missing something?
Ok I watch the demo and like most was amazed... I then saw the demo for magic Murphys review show and first thing I thought... Hmmm hole didn't really move on the "real card"... Then I thought maybe I'm thinking like a magician... So I showed the same video to friends 4 of them so far.... Every one of them noticed the whole didn't move when the card was given back..
So I don't think k it's a fair statement to say they won't notice... Now would have they notice if performed in front of them maybe not.... But it a catch 22 spectators are smarter then we think but also aren't as smart as we think.....
Please read above :) Kyle didn't do the "right" handling. We explain on the DVD how to make sure people won't notice that the hole hasn't moved :)

Some people already tried it in the real world and they will all say that there is no problem with that. As I said before, you don't even have to show the face of the card.
I really like the visual. I would hope the hole does move to all the specs of course. The business card adaptation is what really intrigues me.
Videoman,
Yes, it does call for setting it in front of spectators. A little misdirection works nicely. I simply ask for someone to hand me the sharpie while I do the dirty work. No one notices.
KJ
BTW, this is an effect that can be combined very nicely with several other effects, such as using equivoque techniques like that used by Greg Arce in his routine Floater, in his book Deep Thought. He has another effect in the same book called "Emotion-All" that could also be combined with this effect, using a heart shaped hole punch instead of a circle hole-punch and incorporating that into one of the emotions from Greg's routine.

I have another routine that I am working on with this that I am very excited about! I had just about given up on moving holes until this came out. This got the juices flowing.

KJ
I received my FLIK a week ago and can not see this fitting into my pro set. The video refers to DST to hold the gimmick but it is not a precise trigger as it largely depends on pressure and age of DST (how many times used.) Some times it takes two, three or four flicks but when used a few times sit may self trigger. Not for me sadly. Was so excited about this too.
We can't please everyone :)

I had nothing but great success with Flik, you could also find a way to hqver more control on it, using your fingers :)

From reading some reviews, people seems to like it :) maybe use fresh dst so you know how much you should wear it before using it.. I really had not a single problem with my flik :)
I think the working of the gimmick is some sort of balance between the freshness of what moves the gimmick and the amount and freshness of the DST. I am sure that a working solution can be found but a suspect more than one person will find this to be less reliable than is acceptable to them. It does look good when it works
When it works on cue it looks incredible, it really does. But there are too many variables to achieve the same outcome each time. Not for me that's all.
I can understand :) Thanks for being honest !
I haven't yet had anyone suggest that the hole didn't really move. To them "They saw it move". Do they think that later perhaps?? Maybe....but all I can go by are the reactions I tend to get with it. Nothing will make me dump an effect faster than to see disinterested faces upon it's conclusion. So far, that hasn't been an issue at all with "FLIK". Eyes nearly pop out sometimes when the Hole jumps. Admittedly, I don't generally give more than a few seconds for people to think too hard about any effect I do....I move on and get them focused on whats next. When I'm finished usually there are some comments on specific effects but by then they just tend to remember what impressed them or what they liked best about something and little discrepancies rarely if ever are raised. I would think that to be typical for most of us... I just know that's what the case is for me.

I've been very happy with "FLIK" so far..... I've shown it enough and have gotten the reaction I want enough times to know that should I not get the reaction I'm looking for, it's on me. In my opinion it's a very clever, well made item and in my case I can't see it ending up in the drawer of Magical Misfits that we have:) I can't say whether or not this is for you. you'll have to decide.... I'm just glad we all don't do the same thing in every set... how boring that would be :)

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

bk
Even if it did not work all the time, the times it does work to good reactions says volumes IMO. Always have an out. If lackluster jaw dropping is not the norm, perhaps moving on would be in order. I try to give everything a chance and run it through the mill before posting in F/S or placing it in the already overcrowded top drawer with my other drawers. :kewl:

Decomposing Hole Puncher
One more thing... After doing it both ways several times, I've decided NOT to have the card signed. It just doesn't seem necessary to me. A couple times I've just shuffled the deck, "grabbed" the top card and said "watch this"....worked fine and the reaction was just as strong. Of course I seemingly put the card right into his hand afterwards. They definitely want to look at the card.

Best,
Bk
Thanks guys ! In fact, you can put your own ideas in it. If you want it to be quick and strong thing or build it around a routine, it's up to you :)
Is it possible to make the hole move while the spec holds the card?
[quote]
On 2013-10-20 06:49, Christian Rey wrote:
Is it possible to make the hole move while the spec holds the card?
[/quote]

Well.. It's up to you, they could have the card while you're flicking it but after the moving part, they will take the card/gimmick which isn't a good thing. If you know you can take the card from them after the flick, then yes. But I wouldn't do it.
This trick is some kind of an "eendagsvlieg".
Why do you say that ?
[quote]
On 2013-10-27 18:56, saverle wrote:
This trick is some kind of an "eendagsvlieg".
[/quote]

An insect? Or.....? What the heck are you posting, saverle?
What are folks using to hold the gimmick in place?
I can't get the right hold consistently, either too strong or too weak.
You can PM me.
Thanks,
Bill
"eendagsvlieg"

He is referring to a mayfly.
They only last a few hours.

Also it could be a vague reference to the band "Mayfly", which only had a few hits.
(Implying this effect will only work on some, or intermittently.)

It is not necessarily MY opinion, but that is the translation I think he was going for. :)
Carry on!

L
Review by magicgeek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMKxHYstls
[quote]
On 2013-10-12 15:52, Xcath1 wrote:
I purchased this because frankly I was fooled by the demo. I assumed there was a switch but the are great and I am not concerned about the inconsistencies that are bothering some of the posters.
I have however had trouble with the mechanics. The material to trigger the effect I find uncontrollable and now just with practice (I have not had it outside for a spin) the gimmick is partially torn. You are given the material to make another but will be writing to World Magic Shop to ask for another gimmick. The creator as you can see has been on the boards and has been helpful in PMs but either the trick is too finicky for my taste or certain details of the setup should be explained in greater detail. It is possible that I am one of the few with this problem but I thought it was fair to post my experience.
I have a general rule against buying gimmicked cards for just this reason but have had so much fun with Sharpie through card and envylope I thought I would give it a try. I don't expect thoses gimmicks to last forever either but they are reliable enough that I have already worked them extensively in the real world.
[/quote]
I had similar issues; i.e. trouble sorting the best DST to use (still haven't) and mine became slightly torn too. My th**** gave way very soon which was a bit of a surprise, and I wasn't being too aggressive with it, just practising. I still like it, but need to find the best materials to get it working consistently
Hey Nige :)

Sorry for that break problem, hope you had fixed it :) For the DST, wear it a little if it's new, it have to be sticky but not too much.

If you have any other problem, feel free to pm me ;)
I really like this moving hole, it gets great reactions :)

For me the longer your set up with the gimmick, may be causing people problems with the tension & dst wearing quickly.

How I've been doing this is as the spectator signs the card I turn away & set the gimmick. I turn back around & say let's try something different & go into Alex's handling.

For me the gimmick lasts much longer & works all the time :)

Great thinking Alex

Hope that helps :)
[quote]
On 2013-11-14 13:11, Alex DLF wrote:
Hey Nige :)

Sorry for that break problem, hope you had fixed it :) For the DST, wear it a little if it's new, it have to be sticky but not too much.

If you have any other problem, feel free to pm me ;)
[/quote]
Thanks Alex. As I say I really like the effect and the routine is good in my opinion

It tends to take me a while to get used to new bits of kit because I'm not a magician as such so don't work effects every day. I work in therapy and use strong effects with individuals and groups to challenge their self-limiting beliefs while making the process entertaining. It's hard for someone to stick rigidly to their current beliefs when they've just see something that is, to them, unbelievable

I'll certainly be using Flik very soon
Thanks a lot Mark ;)

I see Nige, hope you will have a good time performing Flik ;)
IMO the best way is too leave out the DST completely... jus hold it in place.. more control..holes moves EXACTLY when you want it too...

...doing it this way I can’t really fault the gimmick nor the effect..

I use it , and it gets great reactions..

Mw :D
Thanks Mw ! It's a handling that we din't covered on the DVD but you can easily hold the gimmick in place with your fingers :)

Flik is always getting me great reactions :)
Can I perform both Agus' Void and Tom's Space Time effects using Alex's [b]Flik gimmick[/b]?

[youtube]4VKHoEXvjp8[/youtube]
Looks good. Now there are 3 new hole gimmicks on the market. Anyone who bought all 3 can share some insight?