(Close Window)
Topic: What's your opening line in street magic?
What's your opening line when you approach random people on the street, mall, park, etc, and ask them if they want to see some magic?
I only have one street magic trick, I would ask, "Want to see me turn into a driveway?"
I start of asking silly IQ questions and hand them a $1 when they get it right and than once I have a large group I get into my set.
[quote]
On 2013-10-12 07:38, tcrufus wrote:
I start of asking silly IQ questions and hand them a $1 when they get it right and than once I have a large group I get into my set.
[/quote]

thank you for your idea!
This old post might help you

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=235059&forum=92
[quote]
On 2013-11-02 20:49, Premier Magic wrote:
This old post might help you

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=235059&forum=92
[/quote]

wonderful, thank you so much!
Your welcome if you need more Ideas you can PM me I have a bunch but have to get going for the night. Take care.
I always wonder the same thing but I usually use "Can I show you something interesting?"
On the street, never ask the question "can I show you a trick or magic?" because they will say NO. Audiences on the street smell "blood", be confident. The old adage, "Stop a child and you stop the world" does work. An opening line? What works for me might not work for you, you have to go out and "work". Watch some performers on youtube and dvd's to get some inspiration. Some to watch Jimmy Talksalot, Kozmo, Cellini, Bob Sheets, Bobby Maverick.
According to Jarek - it's doesn't matter.
watch this videos "How to Approach People"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjmTGRsL3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFYBgmE4JSk
Yair61 you got that right about anxiety magic - you have to love him and everyone he does it with. Some of the things people come up with are amazing
It is true generally most people will interact with you if you just simply say something to them. However there are 2 things to consider.

1. You must be able to read the person approaching you and make them feel comfortable with your right away.
2. Your appearance must match what you say.

I go for the professional look in black dress pants and a black button up shirt, black belt and shoes most of the time. This appearance I rarely approach people as they are walking because most people have a place to go and rarely get there early so they are usually rushed. The other times I wear casual street clothes and maybe my shirt would have something printed on it to represent magic (a quote, playing card graphic, smoke etc) also being able to perform with what you are wearing is nice like a ring or necklace.
I haven't tried this yet but if you had Dresscode by Calen Moreli and if you asked a group would you tell my by t-shirt I am magician (with a plain t-shirt on) they would reply no. You then do the trick which is basically a t-shirt change (without giving it away how its done) and have maybe a playing card or the phrase "I am a magician want to see a trick?" written on the t-shirt you changed into

From there you read the reaction - if they didn't think changing from one t-shirt to another in a second wasn't that impressive after you let them inspect your t-shirt and jacket then you either walk away with a shrug saying OK (make sure you put enough emphasis on the fact that you have a plain shirt tho before you do it because some of the public aren't as observant as magicians) Alternatively if they react like that you say something like "I'm only clowning around could you hold this for a sec" At this point I wold pull out the in*****le deck and if they are holding it, then they appear to be already part of the trick. NB when I would hand the deck out I would try and get their name then introduce myself

If they responded quite well to the t-shirt change then you can go into any trick you want really. By handing them a deck you are almost forcing them to participate without them realising which you can then go into a prediction variation of the in*****le deck and use the name of the person holding the deck. Just always remember when to quit and that generally (maybe other magicians can correct me on this) but your opener is obviously meant to be good but if it is too good you might have trouble topping it and then lose audience interest so maybe save the IT for the second trick if they ask for it or even just float a borrowed ring or bill and walk away

Just my 2 pence (I'm Irish we don't have cents)

-EL
I have a shirt that says "KEEP STARRING AND I MIGHT DO A TRICK" on the back.
People are always looking at me.
Keith
I rarely use opening lines. I just start performing out of nowhere. Once you have their attention the crowd builds up. Levitations always seems to work initially for me.
Would you like to see something I've been working on for the past six months?
Just go and say anything , then start the trick.

You just need to be confident.
Don't ask if they want to see your magic wand...
Don't talk just pick a card
I was thinking a sponge hare palmed, walk upto someone and say excuse me you have a hair on your shoulder, or you have a hair out of place, then produce the hare.
I produced a ring sized ignighter for one street magician.
He would cough through his hand and a burst of flame would appear, he would look at them an say "nasty heartburn". That always got a reaction.
I have two ways of introducing myself:

1.)Formal-Version (e.g.: if I get booked in restaurants as a walk-around act, but also sometimes used when I'm doing street magic and "disturbing" someone who is just enjoing a cup of coffee :P): "Hi, I am a magician, do you want to see something."

2.) Fun-Version: Here I just walk up to a small group of people who obviously are not in a hurry, do a flashproduction of cards/coins etc. and then go in a small routine.

Both versions work fine for me and which one I choose only depends on my own mood. But in my opinion as long as you are nice, your introduction does not offend and always treat them respectfully, it really does not matter what you say as an introduction.
-Alex
Doing flourishes might help to open the conversation.
I know what you're thinking, who is this guy and why is he wearing this shirt. I wear a ****e Shirt from the UK which really stands out.
There are a few rules "Pick up Artists" use to get into the "set" with magic.
Rule number 1: Don't approach saying "Do you want to see a magic trick?" answer will be: "Hell, no...what the hell?"
Rule number 2: Don't feel like a king after gaining all attention and be just a magic nerd (isn't that important for an entertainer - but to have the chance to talk with the girl it is crucial)
[b]Rule number 3 (Thats the rule you're looking for):[/b] Approach the group with a simple magic unrelated question like "Do you have a lighter?" and then turn the lighter into a living dove :P or something ... or ask for some change and switch it to a 100 Euro/Dollar bill...
Loudly sneeze a giant sponge ball into your hand (or a bunch of little ones that fall all over the ground). And, of course, don't forget to use that handkerchief you magically just pulled out of the air :)
"Do you like to be AMAZED?"
I think confidence and proper outfit (ie. Clothes which are saying you are a magician) would do.

After that just say "Do you believe in magic?"

Perhaps that's one way of getting a girl's number. Kidding. :)
I do contact juggling with a large acrylic till I get a crowd then start a little pre show to condense the crowd then do a really short like 3 trick "acutal show"
Message: Posted by: brittany_killgore (Feb 25, 2017 12:08PM)
[quote]On May 14, 2014, Vangel wrote:
I rarely use opening lines. I just start performing out of nowhere. Once you have their attention the crowd builds up. Levitations always seems to work initially for me. [/quote]

I love the idea and always do the same. Actually people don't love to talk enough before they know a little about you. You can skip this step by doing some charisma.
Your dress (how you dress) will help a LOT. I dressed as Carl from SlingBlade one Halloween and just walked around the streets of Gatlinburg, TN on Halloween night. I started getting stopped by people, so I started patter, lines from the movie, in my pretty good Carl voice. From there it just spiraled.
The term "street magic" is a misnomer. What was once called street magic, is in fact busking. What we now call street magic, is in fact ambush magic.

If what I'm saying is valid? Then when ambushing a prospective spectator the idea would be to immediately grab their interest. Something like "you have nice eyes" "can brighten them even more by showing you something" is appropriate. The same tools work for walk around magic but aren't as important.

Just my 3 cents for what it's worth?
I usually try to adapt to the setting.

At the bar, I will sit next to the victim with a soda can or whatever and do the "a b c d" thing with the tab in a normal voice so that they can hear me. But I don't remove the tab, I pull a spare one that I have hidden in the finger holding the can. Then I casually ask "what's your name?", they tell me and as I probably failed I say oh ok, let me try again (usually I fail again at getting their first letter). But they are so confused thinking "what... I just saw you pull the tab and you left it on the table..." Then I go on with more.

In the street sometimes I disguise as one of those guys performing a poll or whatever. Ask them their name and I perform the One Ahead on them. :)
Just holding up a sponge ball or sponge bunny is usually enough to get one or two people to stop. And once you get into your routine, others will stop, too. Whenever I go busking, sponges are my big money-maker.
My costume/ clothes imply magic and I make a bee line for families with kids. I ask the parents if the kid could help me out with something, and launch into the tricks from there.
"Could I borrow this ?" produce a silver morgan and start the one coin routine, especially good for terraces, pubs etc...
I remember learning the Balducci levitation as a young teenager, which was bitter sweet, since it confirmed my suspicion that David Blaine was mixing street video with camera tricks.

I approached some random kid at a Walmart in the electronics department, where bored teenagers would meet to play the N64. I asked the kid if I could show him a trick, and he reluctantly agreed.

I performed the levitation, turned around, and the look of sheer confusion on his face is burned into my memory to this day. I still don't know if it was a look of confused amazement or if my performance was so poor that he was confused if I was being serious or funny.

I actually think that was the last time I performed the Balducci levitation.
I busked in the pedestrian mall in Ottawa once (Spark's St.?), and man, I did not have the chops to build and hold a crowd of people who had someplace else to be. I mean, I'd done busking festivals where there were thousands of people wandering around looking for an act... this was a totally different game. But, it came down to, stop 6 people, you could usually manage that with balloon animals, and get one of them to put me into my strait jacket... normally my set's finish. Do the jacket, pass the hat, repeat. It was a grind.

In case that wasn't clear, someone getting tied up in a strait jacket was strong enough to draw and hold a crowd, but man, they vanished once I got out.
Here are some of the things that I am aware of:

1. LOOK APPROACHABLE
We’ve all seen people walking down a hall with their head down or sitting at a table engrossed with their phone. Body language speaks volumes, and they’re sending signals that they don’t want to be bothered. Instead, get interested in the people around you, "A smile shows that you’re open to a conversation,”.

2. SAY HELLO
It sounds simple, but a quick “hello” will break the ice. Marriott Hotels has a “15-5 rule” for its employees. Whenever an employee comes within 15 feet of anyone in the hotel, they must acknowledge the guest with eye contact or a friendly nod. If the person comes within five feet, then the employee must smile and say hello. Robinett suggests that you take on the Marriott rule for yourself.

“Try it with people in the grocery line or wherever you have a captive audience.”

3. ASSUME THE OTHER PERSON IS SHY
Seventy percent of people proclaim they’re shy, Knowing this puts you in the same boat.

“You don’t have to be an extrovert to talk to a stranger,” “We’re all so worried what other people might think about us. The truth is that no one cares because they’re worried about themselves.”

Instead, take the focus off of you and put it onto the other person. “The best connectors I know will tell you they’re shy, but that doesn’t stop them from creating powerful networks,” “They simply know that it takes other people to get to their goals and they come out of their comfort zone.”
Hey! you got a minute?
"Hi, my job is to interrupt people when they're talking. Care to see something cool?"
"Want to see something interesting?"