(Close Window)
Topic: Cog - Real mind reading?
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (Sep 25, 2013 04:14PM)
Yo,

My friend Ben has just put his first book on sale, it teaches the methodology behind a very impressive demonstration of thought reading. I've been hearing Ben talk about this for years, but it was never ready. I first saw it performed at Illusions bar in Bristol and had I not known the rough method, it would have fooled me, just like it did everyone else in the group.

To whet your appetite, here's a couple of quotes:

"Cog is a comprehensive manual for those wishing to perform a piece of pure, uncluttered mind reading. It will not come easily but with work and understanding it will allow you to simply tell a spectator which card they are thinking of; all with nothing written down, no cards in play and no other compromise. Recommended." Luke Jermay

"Ben Seward, you sir are a genius! Very rarely do I come across someone who has a very unique thought process. Cog is beautiful, if I had not explored these sorts of techniques I might have read this and shunned it as not possible. I very much know this is reliable and I am a little bit sad the world is going to get to see it..It's that good!" Peter Turner

The book is well written and well laid out, contains bonus ideas and some work from Fraser Parker too. The method isn't something that will come with an hour of practice, you really are doing pretty much what you're saying you're doing. If you're a fan of work like Patrick's Prevaricator, this is for you.

Definitely worth a read - I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to road testing it! If you want to read more and pick up the book, details are here:

http://www.bdeceived.co.uk/

DC
Sounds intriguing.

So something like "the real thing" by atlas Brookings but with cards? Neat
Is this preorder or now available?
POsted this as a new thread. My fault I meant to add it here.

Hi all,
I don't normally post on here to advertise other peoples products by my friend Ben Seward just put out a book I think should be seen and studied. It's rare that something this smart and well thought out comes out for the community to enjoy. I would highly recommend anyone looking to open your mind a bit to a concept that, when perfected can literally change your reputation into a real mind reader.
I'm confident that anyone who reads and absorbs the ideas in this book will be a much better performer because of it.
-Adam
It says to be releases sept 25th, do we get an ebook as well??

thanks
I went ahead and ordered this today. I will post my thoughts once I get a hold of it. Honestly, given the blurbs on Ben's site, I am buying it more to hear his creative ideas and thoughts than the idea that I am buying an "effect" that I will be performing. Look forward to reading it.
Ola

I thought I would join this forum so I could answer any questions, so they don't have to be answered by third parties. Hopefully this will make sure you only get accurate information straight from me.
I've read this forum for years but ive never really felt I could add anything by posting.
COG is a set of techniques that ive been developing, refining and using for about 5 years now. Its finally ready to release and is a direct as I always wanted it to be. Ive performed them to countless spectators and quite a few pros. Its is my go to effect and all of the ideas can be adapted to any style or effect.

I'll be handing out 5 review copies (PDFs of the basic effect) to the first 5 people to email me b@bdeceived.co.uk that way you will have honest reviews from people you know, recognise an trust.

@brehaut the book is still on preorder. Its still being printed. (you are one of the 5 review copies email me you email address and ill send it over)
@BMWguy there is currently no plans to release a ebook (other than the 5 review copies). There will only be 250 printed copies.

looking forward to hearing your thoughts and reviews.

Cheers
Ben
Email sent Ben.

Thanks

Alex
That's all 5 of them send out.
To the ones who have been sent a copy:

Mike Stoner
Alex Hinojosa (BMWGUY)
Luca Volpe
Nicholas Michael Byers
Marko Validzic
I hope you enjoy the pdf and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

To those who missed out, I hope that the reviews of those above will help you decide if you are interested in the book.
I'm more than happy to answer any questions that anyone has.

Cheers
Ben
Hi Ben, have sent email.

Regards,

Ian.
Too late again, arghhh
I purchased this book this morning. Ben sent me a PDF which I have now read. So I did not receive a reviw copy but actually reviewing COG as a purchaser. One last note, I don't know Ben and did not know who he was until I received COG. Ok, now for the review.

Cog is billed as a thought of card effect with no force. The spectator thinks of any card and you reveal it. I believe Cog will become THE treatise or resource for the thought of card effect. This is saying a lot because in the world of mentalism, a frequent post is "what is the best thought of card effect?". Mentalists (and magicians) are always looking for real mindreading. Cog is the best I have seen. Now I just got it this morning and have not obviously tried it out. But I can tell from my own experience in mentalism that the techniques Ben describes work. Cog is very well written and detailed. Ben gives you backround and the journey he took to get to this point. All the material helps and can be used. Ben also gives outs which some will demand but others will understand are unnecessary. I originally purchased the book with the idea that I wanted to see the creative thinking much more than learning an effect. The thinking is wonderful and will open more doors for me. But I also will be performing it.

It is my understanding that the book is limited to 250 copies. I will be shocked if this does not sell out and does not sell out quickly. I hope it does and then the secrets remain with the 250 who purchased it. In my opinion the book could be sold for more but is a steal and its current price. Remember, I paid for this and now knowing the material would have been happy paying twice the price.

Bottom line. If you have an interest in the thought of card plot. Buy this now.

Greg Berman
I had the chance to read the pdf and I have to say that I am really impressed with his work.
The pdf is filled with concepts that will allow you to discern a thought of card and the techinques included, are, from my point of view, easy to master, but obivously If you are a not experienced performer, you may need to try those techiniques quite a bit. I don't want to say to much as I don't want to reveal the core of the concept, but I can say that is a mixture of "observational techniques" that will play very well.
In the book there are "outs" to be safe, but I honeslty think that with some rehearsel and practice you will be able to pull this out very easy.
I love also the idea of Fraser Parker in the book, is a wonderful use of the wonder words in action!
I like this book and I sugget you to have a look at it as I am sure you will find very good techinques that you can apply to any "though of" , not only playing cards.
Luca Volpe
I received the PDF and read it straight away. It's full of great ideas and methods for achieving that wonderful goal - mentalism that looks real, because it is! Most experienced performers will probably already do something similar to the core effect described here, but I've never seen it so well analysed, explained, expanded and presented for real-world use. Definitely one for the worker and not the hobbyist, if you're going to do this for family and friends expect to crash and burn horribly, and it will takes some practice, nerve and good observational skills - but once you've got it mastered you will have an impromptu any time any place anywhere piece of kick-ass mind reading. Great stuff!
Right after finishing the pdf I was already attempting my first try on a friend. Everything went well and he was baffled. Great thinking!
Cog sounds like a winner to me .. is it possible to see this in action VIA a demo ???/ I ask this question because I am not a mentalist
vinny
Sounds like a worthy gamble.

Just sent payment. will post thoughts after.
It has just been bought to my attention that my site says printed book and pdf download. I didn't design the site and this little error slipped right past me.
I never wanted to put a PDF out, the ideas in this book have taken me years to perfect and I don't want them to be pirated or past on. not that I am saying that any of you will but its important to protect not only my interests but those of the people who have paid for the material. Because of this anyone how has already ordered the book will be sent a personalised PFD copy of the book. From now on however anyone who purchases the book will have to wait for the printed copy to arrive.
the book is still available for prerelease as the books have not yet finished printing. As soon as the books arrive the price will be going up to £25 including postage, I always wanted the pre-release copies to be slightly cheaper.
I ordered this morning- hope to share my thoughts soon!

RNK
Hey ben thanks foer ASWERING MY QUESTION BY SaYING NOTHING
VINNY
Ben, thanks for explaining the PDF situation. I ordered earlier, and was wondering how to access the download. Really looking forward to this.
Sorry Vinny I missed your question. There aren't any demo videos at the moment
[quote]
On 2013-09-26 15:50, Ben Seward wrote:
It has just been bought to my attention that my site says printed book and pdf download. I didn't design the site and this little error slipped right past me.
I never wanted to put a PDF out, the ideas in this book have taken me years to perfect and I don't want them to be pirated or past on. not that I am saying that any of you will but its important to protect not only my interests but those of the people who have paid for the material. Because of this anyone how has already ordered the book will be sent a personalised PFD copy of the book. From now on however anyone who purchases the book will have to wait for the printed copy to arrive.
the book is still available for prerelease as the books have not yet finished printing. As soon as the books arrive the price will be going up to £25 including postage, I always wanted the pre-release copies to be slightly cheaper.
[/quote]

Looking forward to number 250 being sold. :) One other thing I would mention to my review. I will be ambigious so as not to tip any methodology, but one aspect of Cog I know works because I have seen it be used in the poker world to cheat. Again, fantastic book Ben!
Hey guys,

Let me jump in here, as I was one of the 5 reviewers for COG. I would have still purchased this if I wasnt early with the email I sent to Ben, because I love the THINK A CARD plot, as does BREHAUT.
I have explored many avenues, and released IMATHINATION which was based off of Mental Communicator, which I still use. Some ideas I have never shared, just explored. Well I received this and gave it a read this morning between busy work and lunch, and let me tell you that this is a fascinating, entertaining read for the mentalist. If you are an experienced or advanced in the art, you will have no problems, and might pick this up right away. If you are a beginner, it might take some practice to get down smooth, but as Ben says it will all be worth it at the end.

There are different ways you can play this, and Ben helps you choose which way you take. The very first idea which Ben says he doesn't use anymore, I will be using more often.
There is another idea that I really enjoyed which I will change to suit the country that I live in which is Mexico, and some aspects of this are a bit different, I cant say more, but it will still work.

There are also outs which you can employ if need be.

I really like the idea shared by Peter Turner as well as the Fraser Parker idea which reminded me a lot of an older idea, in which you can direct mind read someone and make it like a type of open prediction and almost 90% be spot on with your prediction.

This is a fantastic book, and I am glad that only 250 copies will be made available.

Once you master the techniques described you will achieve greatness.

In the words of Peter Turner............BE BOLD, and create LEGENDS.......you have to take risks, why not start now!

Alex
I might be able to get a video of this during my residency tomorrow, but will let Ben check it first to avoid tipping anything. Trust me - you want this!
I've emailed out the PDFs. From now on anyone who buys the book will just be getting the printed book not the PDF as well. Ill change the site ASAP but it might take a few days as ill have to get in touch with the designer.
My order is in ;)
It may have been nice if over time while Ben was reading Café posts he did feel he could contribute. Now that he has a product he feels compelled to contribute. Oh well.

Perhaps placing an ad in the Café would serve him well.
A very interesting read. Would definitely help to have video examples of spectator response.

Of course nothing replaces actual in the trenches experience. I am pretty far from being able to use these techniques but is certainly something to aspire to.
Nice book!

I'm also a fan of this plot, but the best is that all techniques inside Cog can be used in almost any context besides the playing cards. Of course, the method(s) need work but definitively the effect and others applications worth it. By the way, I also like Fraser Parker's take a lot.

To finish, I want to thank Ben for the great customer service he gave me, searching for solutions to a little problem we have.
Brilliant book, well worth the money - get it while you can.
Sounds really nice... Might have to go for this one.
Just a question though, is it based on already existing scientific / statistical pieces of evidence about most commonly chosen cards, etc... + fishing around this plot, or is it something completely different ?
@doriancaudal its not based on statistics or forces. The spectator can genuinely think of any card completely fairly. Then without fishing and with nothing written down you can tell the spectator the card they are thinking of.
As a follow up to my original review, I was able to try this out a few times this weekend. As many have said, this will take some practice. Which each attempt, I was able to learn something about the process. I was very excited on one occasion when I knew with 100% certainty (at least in my mind I was 100% certain and it turned out to be correct) the suit of the card. I definitely can see where with practice this will be extremely powerful---especially when I do not want to use a force.

Many people talk about being bold and taking chances to the point that it is almost cliche. However, the point is that when you can master an effect like COG that requires you to take a chance, the pay off is much greater. The reason is that there is no way the spectator can explain away what you did since it all happens in the mind. They can not claim sleight of hand, confederates, electronics, etc.

Again, I highly recommend people serious about this art purchase this before it is too late.

Greg Berman
I'm so curious to try this out live but I don't think I'm anywhere close. I'd like to try some similar/easier effects prior and "build up" to this kind of thing (if anybody has any recommendations?).

I've been doing Isabella's Star a lot lately (for example), and although completely different, it offers moments where you need to guage the spectator's reactions. I'm getting better at it slowly.
Alrighty, my order is in Ben; looking forward to reading your ideas on this.

~ Nique
[quote]
On 2013-09-30 12:07, brehaut wrote:
As a follow up to my original review, I was able to try this out a few times this weekend. As many have said, this will take some practice. Which each attempt, I was able to learn something about the process. I was very excited on one occasion when I knew with 100% certainty (at least in my mind I was 100% certain and it turned out to be correct) the suit of the card. I definitely can see where with practice this will be extremely powerful---especially when I do not want to use a force.

Many people talk about being bold and taking chances to the point that it is almost cliche. However, the point is that when you can master an effect like COG that requires you to take a chance, the pay off is much greater. The reason is that there is no way the spectator can explain away what you did since it all happens in the mind. They can not claim sleight of hand, confederates, electronics, etc.

Again, I highly recommend people serious about this art purchase this before it is too late.

Greg Berman
[/quote]

I will have to agree with Greg. This with some trial and error could be very strong. As Greg states- no one can claim that you used anything do divine the card except mind reading. As I stated- this will take working through but the reward will by far exceed what it takes you to master this. I am not a big fan of electronics, confederates etc.. when it comes to mentalism. If you feel this way- buy this. Well worth it!

RNK
Any language restrictions here?
@Gorecki so long as you can read and understand the book, theres no reason why all of the material cant be adapted to any language. Several people who perform in other languages have got back to me saying that they havent had any issues with language
One question to ask before I purchase this.... When you have this mastered will it hit with every person you try it on?
Even awkward people?

Kieran
Will this work in irish?

Kieran
@magicman if you have genuinely learnt the effect and all of the ideas in the book then its very very unusual to have a spectator that it wont work on. If it doesn't its normally due to performer error, or the spectator being to drunk and not listening.
Alright, I just placed my order.
(What's the expected delivery date? I couldn't find the info on the site.)

I'll enjoy it anyway, but is it possible to repeat the effect with the same spectator, or will he "catch on" upon subsequent performances?
Thanks for the reply Ben!

Kieran
@kieran any time mate :)
@gorecki its very easy to use a small time delay in-between when you get the information and the reveal it. if that's done correctly then yes theres no reason why it cant be repeated as many times as you like.
This book is awesome, and so are the methods in it. Methods will require some practice, but it's very worthwhile because this allows for very clean mind read without anything written down or forced, and methods in here are not limited only to playing cards reveals. Once you get them down you can use them for pretty much anything. Thanks for this awesome book Ben. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

all the best,
Marko
Thanks for the answers, Ben.
But you missed one of my questions, so I'll repeat here. :)

What is the expected delivery date for the book?
(Can't find the info on your site.)
Sorry I missed your question @Gorecki the Standard postal time to america is normally 5 days to a week singapore is as much a 2 weeks everywhere else should be faster. I'm incredibly busy for the next few weeks, ill try to post orders as often as I can but I don't think I will have a chance until next monday or tuesday. Im really sorry to keep people waiting but that's the price I have to pay for running all of this by myself while ive got so much on.
My order is in, looking forward to seeing this book.

Do I get a free bag on Monster Munch with it for being suave & British? ;)

Cheers
Art
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Sep 30, 2013 08:07PM)
This sounds awesome.
Is this more of an intimate close-up piece or could it be used during, say a wedding whilst performing and mingling. I know its essential to have different effects for different situations. Just want to know which this is most suited to??
[quote]
On 2013-10-01 11:50, bond19 wrote:
Is this more of an intimate close-up piece or could it be used during, say a wedding whilst performing and mingling. I know its essential to have different effects for different situations. Just want to know which this is most suited to??

[/quote]

I think could be used in any situation- close up, parlor or stage!

RNK
@Ben Oh, ok: I thought the book hadn't been printed yet. Hence my question about delivery delays. If it's just the actual shipping, I have a rough idea of how long it should take. :)
Thanks!
@bond19 just to confirm what @RNK has said: Im yet to come across a situation COG cant be used effectively in. As I think I said above the only real limiting factors are performer error, drunk spectators, or spectators that cant hear whats being said. So if you work clubs or very loud weddings/events then it will be a bit harder to perform but if you understand everything in the book and had the practice then it should still play extremely well.

@Gorecki once you've received the email saying that COG has been dispatched it should be within the time frames in my previous post.
I'm curious to what the thoughts are of this in comparison to Rus Andrews's Spoken which wasn't that well received? I love the "Think a Card" plot and am on the fence already in making the leap given the additional international expense. I'm curious if the "work" referred to by several is regarding... hmm external work (like AKA and Spoken) or internal (like Isabella Star) by the performer?

Also Ben, if I do make the leap on Friday will I have missed the boat already? (Payday is Friday for me)
@alwow as I'm unfamiliar with Rus Andrews's Spoken I can't comment (perhaps someone who has purchased the book can help you out?), but if I understand you question correctly, the work which people are referring to is simply practicing the techniques in the book, they have a knack to them that takes some time to achieve (like any card or coin sleight). Of the two I would say it is more towards Isabella star (internal performer work) than Spoken, but as I said I have not read Spoken so I'm unsure. if that doesn't really answer your question then I think I am miss understanding what you are asking.
I don't think you will have missed the boat by waiting until friday.
Hope that answered your questions
Ok so after hitting the buy now button on my PayPal I wait a few days. On Tuesday a small package drops through the door and I'm thinking surely this can't be it.

I tear open the package to find a small but very attractive looking book. Putting temptation to one side I drop it by my bedside for later viewing.

Having had an inkling as to the core method of this I was keen to read how this would be employed within the context of the routine.

I'm happy to report that the saying is true "great things do come in small packages". This book is well laid out and nicely written.

Ben does a great job at explaining the methodology which makes this work and each part fits together well.

Although I have used techniques like this in the past I'm very keen to adopt Bens thinking and will report back on how this plays.

I also like that Ben goes in depth on how to handle things should you fail to pull this off. This sets the reader at ease and will allow you to try the techniques risk free whilst you are learn the ropes.

What I like most about this is the versatility of the techniques at play. Although a coin routine is suggested there are countless applications for the tool you learn and I believe that is where the true value is.

I already have some applications in mind for use with some of my own principles too.

I'm happy with my purchase and am pleased to say I recommend it! :)

Oh and Ben the discovery of my name at the back of the book was a very pleasant surprise too!
I received my copy of Cog a couple of days ago and am very impressed. It will take practice before being fully comfortable with it but once proficient in the method, the think a card plot is just a small part of what could be accomplished. Thanks Ben!
I have continued working on this and my hit rate has climbed and my misses are still impressive (i.e. 4 of clubs and I predict 4 of spades, etc) For me the key is spectator control---and with each performance, I have improved it.
I placed my order and I am excited about what Ben has to offer about this plot.
Ordered!
I developed a similar effect. Will love to discover your ideas!
I've been performing something like COG for a while and Ben has really nailed the techniques needed for this kind of work. In my version, with no pre-show or stooging of any kind, you place a card facedown on the table, the spectator places their hand on the card, you ask them to name any card of their choice, they then look at the card under their hand - it matches. If you don't already do something similar then Ben's COG is an essential purchase.
[quote]
On 2013-10-03 18:08, TheStoner wrote:
I've been performing something like COG for a while and Ben has really nailed the techniques needed for this kind of work. In my version, with no pre-show or stooging of any kind, you place a card facedown on the table, the spectator places their hand on the card, you ask them to name any card of their choice, they then look at the card under their hand - it matches. If you don't already do something similar then Ben's COG is an essential purchase.
[/quote]

Your effect appears to be very different than COG. It appears you force a card on the spectator whereas COG truely gives the spectator free choice to select any card
Just got the bound copy of Cog in the mail today. Thank you! FYI--performed COG more this weekend and my hit rate and near hit rate is very high. What I have noticed is that when I perform this, I have had a number of spectators say the exact same thing----"if you get this, it will be a miracle". I only mention this because I have heard this comment several times.
Purchased this last night, can't wait for it to arrive. Hurry the fcuk up mr postman!!!!

Kieran
Purchased. I can't wait to review it
Just received this booklet yesterday, and I have to say I like it !

Ben provides ideas and techniques in order to allow you to find the card the spectator is freely thinking. He can really choose any card, but you can add some things to be on the safe side : everything is very well explained and detailed in the booklet ;) Also, some classical outs are explained.

I like the fairness and streamlined procedure to accomplish this. It will require a lot of testing and a lot of work to get it down, and I cannot wait to try it. This is one thing that I really like about mentalism and this type of effect, which is taking risks, in order to give the illusion of approaching “real” mind-reading. No force, nothing written, no spooky things, pure mind-reading, accompanied by a very streamlined procedure (divining of color / symbol first, then number or figure, etc…) but totally justified.

The only minor points are that…

1/ this will need some rewording for other languages than English, especially French, but it is of course perfectly doable for English-speaking people.

2/ this won’t work with every spectator; you have to find the right one, in the right situation, but just like every effect of this kind ;) Ben explains some interesting things in order for this to work with more difficult spectators too, well done !

Also, Fraser Parker has added some interesting parallel ideas in the book.
Cog arrived in the post this morning and I am after reading through half of it, all I can say is WOW!!!
This is top notch material! It will take some practise to pull off but to me effects like this are well worth the effort.
I highly recommend this, well done ben :)

Kieran
There are some very nice ideas in this book, some ideas I feel have been either missed or set aside for alternatives but on a whole this is a very good way to divine a freely thought of card.

I will be road testing this along with some of my own techniques over the next week and give a full review then.

So far though it looks very good

Cheers
Art
Got my first hit today, God this is good!

Kieran

Kieran
[quote]
On 2013-10-10 09:37, magicman29 wrote:

Kieran
[/quote]

Once you start performing it, it "feels" much less risky. I would compare it to the intial feeling when you do the classical force. Once you practice it, becomes almost automatic.
First try today : I guessed 7S, it was 3S...
Thanks for the reports, guys.
As soon as I get the book and start to study it, I'll report here with my near misses/hits as well!
How procedural is this? How involved is the process? Working in noisier environments where attention spans are not the greatest, will this work? Or is this best suited for quiet moments with little to no distractions?

I ask cause my work environments are noisy

Thanks
Imo I think it would be best suited for a quieter environment as the spectator needs to be able to concentrate.

Kieran
@VernonOnCoins I've never really had any issues performing COG in loud environments (I work a lot in clubs and bars). So long as the spectator is engaged, interested and can hear you then there should be no problem.
Ben I have to say it again, well done with "cog"! Truely is one of my best buys ever, looking forward to some more of your releases!

Kieran
I have tried this out twice now, and each time I've hit it spot on. I don't know if each time was a fluke, I'm almost afraid to try it a third time in case it was. But I'll tell you something when I hit with this twice it feels spooky, as if you're doing it for real. I'm pretty sure the more I do this this more misses I will have, but that will only get better with practice.

The book itself is very well written and Ben goes into extreme detail on this technique.

Thanks Ben for this great release. :) :) :)
Just ordered I'm very interested
Sounds fantastic. Another member asked but didn't recieve an answer about how long the process was to get to the reveal. How many layers of questions to the reveal?
@takeachance
most people will perform the effect with a 3 section system (i say section instead of question because you are not asking the spectator anything, you are telling them what they are thinking). It can be performed with as little as 2 sections and up to 4 for those who have just started learning the methods. it all depends on the skill of the performer, and their ability to use the principles effectively.
[quote]
On 2013-10-11 20:27, takeachance wrote:
Sounds fantastic. Another member asked but didn't recieve an answer about how long the process was to get to the reveal. How many layers of questions to the reveal?
[/quote]

There are no "questions" asked to the spectator
Thanks guys, sounds very tight indeed. There has to be a process and this seems to be constructed along the very credible route. Looking forward to studying this.
Package arrived this morning. On a design front, I love the fact the book is small and easy to pocket. I'm going shopping later so will read this over coffee.

I'll feedback my thoughts later.

I'd also like to point out Ben shipped this fast, and I received a dispatch updated once posted.

Thanks for a good customer experience.

Chris
The whole concept surrounding Cog I had read about maybe 12 years ago in an NLP book. At the time I remember thinking it had some merit, but I never explored it. Ben has done so and to great effect. He has taken this basic principle and like all good mentalism, combined it with scripting to gel it together and make it work. As others (Ben included) have attested, it will take work (like mastering a card sleight Ben states in the booklet).

So does it deliver. Well I've yet to get further that just reading the concept. But if it does, and from what I've read, I've no reason to doubt it will. Then you will have something as close to actually reading someone's mind with zero props, nothing written down or selected etc, as possible.

I've already given some thought on how I can best practice this and I've come up with a statement I will use to prime my spectator at the start of the procedure. Also it's true, Cog is not limited to resolving a card someone is imagining. It could be used for so much more. In fact Ben briefs on how to use the method to reveal an emotion followed up my a memory they're imagining.

This is one principle I'm gonna work hard at. Because it really could be the perfect anytime, propless mind reading experience so many on here seem to be looking for.

I've never met a Ben, I did pay for Cog, and I wish him a great deal of success. This one folks is golden.

Chris
Looks like I don't owe you a pint Chris! ;)

Kieran
The more I perform this the better it gets - totally awesome stuff, probably the best thing I've seen in 2013
You were on the money Kieran.. It's bloody good!
Received and read straight away!
Nice thinking.
The value part seems a bit transparent... need to try it a few times to convince myself!

[quote]
On 2013-10-08 04:39, doriancaudal wrote:
1/ this will need some rewording for other languages than English, especially French, but it is of course perfectly doable for English-speaking people.[/quote]

I don't follow you... I was happy to find that the suit part which is language dependent would work in french!
Got my little book in the mail. What a nice portable size book this is. Love it!

RNK
Perform it between effects. So each bit of the process is done inbetween something else, that way it is never noticed as there is a time delay.

Then finish with the kicker x
How about a demo?:"??
[quote]
On 2013-10-14 15:25, Peter_turner wrote:
Perform it between effects. So each bit of the process is done inbetween something else, that way it is never noticed as there is a time delay.

Then finish with the kicker x
[/quote]

Peter - what a fantastic idea!

RNK
Id love to see a demo of this to know what I would exactly be learning to do.
[quote]
On 2013-10-16 13:05, cardnerd wrote:
Id love to see a demo of this to know what I would exactly be learning to do.
[/quote]

Effect: The participant thinks of ANY playing card. You tell the participant to imagine if it is a red or black card, a club, heart, spade or diamond, a picture or a number and then imagine the value in their mind.

Without asking them to answer anything out loud or write anything down/ choose a card out of the deck. you look at the participant and then reveal the exact card (suit and value).

There is no restricting questions, they genuinely have a free choice of any card and there are no psi forces. This is genuinely what it says it is.

That is the effect you will learn.

I have used this principle for more than five years (Not with playing cards) and it works solidly. I use this to divine all sorts of things.

Several people who have purchased this have seen what I use it for (I am not going to tip what I use it for) but the possibilities are not just for playing cards.

There is a limited number of copies and I would not hesitate to get my hands on a copy (I have used this principle in the real world and it kills).

I am not hyping this, I don't know and have never met Ben. I could think of many different ways to do this (other than what the book states)and if Ben contacts me I might be tempted to record a video of me performing a variation of this (not exactly as described in the book but a variation of).

Who knows!

Pete x
@Peter_Turner I'd love to see what you'd do with the methods in the book.
Ive just Pm'd you

Cheers
Ben
My beautiful little "cog" booklet arrived and I have to say this is simply clever.

yes, you do have to put some work into it but it is not that much once you know how to apply the "principle ".
practice makes perfect and until then one can simply employ the outs the book provides.

now the principle behind this is really something and got me thinking applying it to all sort of routines.

buy it for that devious principle alone.
well done Ben!
Cog is a nice book that does a very good job of summarizing how to actually implement subtle techniques. It is much more than just theory or wild ideas. It represents actual practice.
A sales video could be honestly not be made, as Cog is more of a valuable tool than an effect to be duplicated. I like that.
Couldn't resist. Ordered it on a whim.
[quote]
On 2013-10-28 04:21, Spackle666 wrote:
Couldn't resist. Ordered it on a whim.
[/quote]

You won't be disappointed, Ben has done a Stellar job with this.
So far I am tweaking the script of the routine based on the "easier" approached outlined in the book to fit my performance style. this "cog" thing has my brain working overtime.

[quote]
On 2013-10-28 01:54, gphrenol wrote:
... as Cog is more of a valuable tool than an effect to be duplicated. I like that.
[/quote]

an incredible valuable tool :)
Biggest surprise? Its not nearly as hard as I thougt it would be
To be honest out of all the times I've performed cog I've only ever failed twice and that was at the start, I've even performed this over the phone! This is what real mindreading is and looks like, anyone on the fence as to buying it trust me get this!

Kieran
I read the manuscript and I can only re-iterate what others said, Cog is one of the closest effects to mind reading in both method and presentation. Does it work? I have not tried it but I can see it work. It will take practice as already mentioned but the hit rate will surely increase as time goes by.

Pros:

- Propless
- Versatile
- Fun to do
- Redefines 'mind reading' as a task (my favorite aspect)

Cons:

- Method is different from that norm that it will take practice (can be one of the pros to others)
- Learning curve correlated with hit rate
- Needs a persona that is not afraid to miss

The reason I consider 'method requiring practice' a con is because it can only be practiced via performance. I cannot say it resembles card sleights in terms of practice. While it is true that performance is practice and will help refine a card sleight, one can still practice way before performance to help get the necessary motions down. With Cog, if you do not perform the 'method' to others, there is no practice.

But one can use the underlying method of Cog outside the context of performing and they can start their learning curve like that. That is what I intend to do as a start.

As far as my favorite aspect goes, it truly helped redefine the task of mind reading. While many mentalists and/or magicians portray mind reading as a simple task ("think about your card.... It is the five of clubs"), Cog allows the performer to show what a daunting task mind reading is. Even more important, how many times one has asked the mentalist, "I am thinking of something now, read my mind"?! If someone witnesses Cog (or any of its derivative), they will not ask that question. If someone wins the 100 m race in record time, I really doubt anyone will come to them and say, hey do that again now and try to beat it again. Instead, they will applaud the runner and even reflect upon themselves in awe.

This is what I feel Cog allows the person to establish and to me, this is a gem for all my mind reading performances.

Finally, I want to say that Cog's underlying method is not limited to playing cards at all. It can be used, as already mentioned by some here, for many other things.

As far as the bonus effect by Fraser Parker, it is killer and I love it. I know I will be using it for sure while I practice Cog.

I like it. I applaud Ben for both his great thinking and great customer service. I am looking forward to start using the principles found in Cog.
Nice review, Ash2arani. I ordered this yesterday based on the comments of others on this thread. Like most, while waiting I continue to check the comments and reviews as they come in. It hypes the anticipation and joy of the quest for that one effect that will be more than worth the money and time it will take to master. I hope there is a forum where we who own the effect can continue to communicate and share experiences and progress in mastering it with cards and other variations. Thank you everyone.
[quote]
On 2013-10-14 14:44, RNK wrote:
Got my little book in the mail. What a nice portable size book this is. Love it!

RNK
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-10-14 14:44, RNK wrote:

RNK
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-10-29 22:39, judgehiker wrote:
I hope there is a forum where we who own the effect can continue to communicate and share experiences and progress in mastering it with cards and other variations.
[/quote]

that would be nice. Ben ? :)
Just ordered, resistance was futile!
Thank you everyone for you kind words and awesome reviews :-D
@judgehiker @Gourmet I wouldn't know how to even begin to set up something like that, but if its something that everyone is interested in I will look into it. I agree it would be really interesting for everyone to be able to share their experiences and ideas for the principles in the book and how they are getting on in terms of the hit rate and learning curve.
Ill look into and get back to you all, about creating the private forum.
In the mean time I would love to hear how your getting on this thread (hit rates, and how your settling into using the techniques) being careful not to expose any of the methods of course.

Cheers
Ben
What about a private "cog" group on facebook?
I agree. A private group on Facebook or a private Google+ community would be very easy to set up and would not require much in terms of management.
Got my copy yesterday. It is a beauty. prop-less mind reading in it's most direct form...
if you are an advanced mentalist who did this type of technique before, you have almost no problems... Highly recommended.
tested 4 times yesterday and got 3 hits.
There is a principle by our friend Mr. Turner, that makes it (in my opinion) even more easier.
Well done, Ben.

ps: yeah... a facebook group would be perfect... takes two minutes to create (:
OK, I've caved and hit the buy now button. Looking forward to reading and trying this out.
Regards,
Sea
I have just set up a secret group on Facebook to act as a private forum for those who have bought the book to openly discuss the ideas, techniques and how people are getting along with the methods. As the page is secret I have to add you (it was the only way I could think of to control the people viewing the page), if you have bought the book and wish to be added to the group then just email me (b@bdeceived.co.uk) with the subject COG Private Forum and somewhere in the email put the email address you use for Facebook and I should be able to add you.
Hopefully ill be able to answer questions about the method more openly there and solve any other issues people might be having with the material.
Hope that suits everyone

Cheers
Ben
I managed to resist until now... I'll need to register on Facebook! ;)
COG is a work of genius!!! I know some may think I am only writing this review to help a friend and to hype his first release to the magic community but the truth is, there are a few of us who would rather this stayed secret a little longer (it really is THAT good).

I feel the underlying principle is going to change the way we perform Mentalism in the future. The applications for this are truly limitless. Those of you who see past the surface of what is being taught will have a secret worth more to you than any peek, switch or tear you already perform (not that there is anything wrong with these).

If the art is to progress to the point, where only language is used to create the seeming miracles we perform (in terms of method) then I feel this work and the principle contained within, is a huge step in that direction.

I think I may have hinted a little too much (I know the intention of the author was to hide the true worth of this in plain sight, for others to discover for themselves).

The manuscript itself, is well written and teaches you everything you need to know, to perform the Think of a card successfully. It even has a section on how to eliminate specific problems you may have, whilst learning the effect, as well as a few different outs (so you can practice the method without fear of failure).

To put it simply, GET this little book. You won't be disappointed.

Fraser.
I’ve been using this in close up performance now for 3 weeks.
I’m a big fan of the ideas and material within.
I read some of the ideas in Some of Derrens early works, but this is the first I’ve seen where those ideas have been studied and turned into a solid routine.
At first reading some of the material may seem daunting to less experienced mentalists and performers, but after a few trial runs and I’ve learnt that not only is the cog system easy to use but also massively reliable.
As far as prop less mentalism goes this is great, it truly is prop less and anytime anywhere piece.
I’ve started to use the ideas within to streamline other think of a card plots, like Ben Harris’s silent running to great effect. A little creative thought and many options open to you where this principle can be used eliminating the need for multiple outs and streamlining methods of fishing.
If you are a fan of the think of card plot, or have an interest in truly prop less mentalism then this is highly recommended, hopefully this is the first of more material from Ben.
The only thing holding me back is this:
I bought Silent Running on a whim, and while I appreciated the thinking behind it, it just wasn't for me. Same with the White Room by Ran Pink, interesting ideas but I really value justification and those concepts had too many things that to me, personally, were unjustified. I felt that forcing a card or just using a peek was not only more effective, but kept the pace, eliminated potential misses, and the difference in effect was not enough to warrant replacement of method.

So with that said, I really want to believe that this is as good as seems to be.

How long does the method take?
Is everything justified or able to be justified, or is there anything weird/distracting?

I don't want any exposure, I'm just very careful these days with mentalism. The last whimsical purchase I made was True Mysteries and it was incredible. That's rare for me.

Thanks!
If you are looking for a force or peek replacement that is equally direct and quick paced, cog probably isn't it. If you are looking for a technique(s) that does what silent running promised without theslightly odd procedure, then this is a closer fit. I too had issues with silent running, not because of the practicality or even the thinking behind it, but the exact procedure didn't fit my personal style and I felt that it was hard to justify (at least for me). Cog is much more fluid and natural. It relies on learning to actually do what many of us pretend to do when we act out reading a person's mind. While it is not as swift as a peek, it shouldn't need to play for too long to get the work done. I am confident that with some work it will...er... Work.

To the well-read magi, I doubt that there will be anything new to the parts that make up cog, But the collection and combination of those parts and the thinking behind them make a pretty unique "whole." Hobbyists beware, 95% of you will not use cog as it really needs to have a variety of real world performances to test it out and get the feel for it. And that is just fine.
Hi all, I recently purchased cog and I have to say that it is brilliant. Here are two examples of how I have used it.
1 spectator thinks of a card, I first figure out the colour, then the suit and finally the number of the card. Nothing is written down. The spectator was gob smacked. No fishing either.That was my first time trying it and it hit 100%.
2nd time trying it I used the method to do a which hand routine. I combined it with them thinking of someone. I then told them that they were thinking of a relative, which they were. And then also told them which hand the imaginary coin was in.
The guy was genuinely floored.

This is a great method, it works and for me it has worked every time. I am an amateur but it was not difficult to learn.

Regards,

Sea
Ben has set up a private Cog forum on Facebook, with even more contributions from users who have purchased Cog. There's already some great ideas that are not in the book.

And I'm sure that the more people that purchase this, more great ideas will be added from you creative people out there.

I can't say any more that hasn't already been said about cog except let's get them creative juices flowing and expand on an alreitady brilliant concept.

All the best, Mick.
Tries this out recently and I nailed the card.. The girl just looked at me open mouthed and asked how I could see into her mind and know what she was thinking??

Where do we go for the COG FB page??

Chris
@bond19 if you email me the email address you use for your Facebook account then I can add you to the group.
My email adress is b@bedeceived.co.uk.

Cheers
Ben
Hi Ben,

Tried emailing but keeps bouncing back??
Sorry, I'm posting from my phone and it autocorrected B to be the address is B@bdeceived.co.uk apologies

Ben
I encourage everyone who uses COG to use the secret facebook group that Ben created especially for that occasion. Wonderful ideas are flowing from this group, and I found one especially really good, and that makes me enjoy performing COG even more !
I really like COG. Very useful techniques that you can apply to a lot of different routines. A big field to explore. And the COG private group is very useful for this.

Also Ben gave me a great customer service!
So I was one of the first to purchase this and I popped my initial thoughts on the page after a first read. I've been a busy bee lately and never had the opportunity to work this until last weekend.

My first performance for a magician non the less resulted in me nailing a card which was genuinely thought of. My second performance led to me getting a little adventurous and I had a spectator nail the exact card another was thinking of. This was flawless.

My third attempt was for a Russian who spoke very little English; I nailed this card bang on too (actually I was off by one on the value but due to my foresight I was prepared and covered this with a simple switch. He was non the wiser and was floored!

My last performance I was off on the suit. Got the right colour and value and the reaction received was very favourable.

All in all I will certainly be using this at every opportunity, even though I've had great success so far I think with practice this will only get better. I'll be tweaking the scripting a little for my own tastes but in short I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone!

I've not been on the Facebook group as yet (simply due to being so busy with projects) but I will be on there soon to share some thoughts.

Until then, keep up the amazing work Ben ;)

Best Wishes Michael :)
I met Ben at the MOFBUK convention this year. He kindly gave me a copy of his book after my lecture as a gift, he also demo'd a few of the techniques and they were extremely clean and direct. I've since read the book and I am very impressed with the thought Ben has put into these methods, he goes into detail about how to apply them and even how to select a good spectator. This is a book for the serious performer who is not afraid to work the techniques until they become fluid and essentially their own style. Yes there will be some amount of emulation to begin with but the techniques will eventually to be your own and with that they will become much stronger and appear more direct. I must say however the book is titled 'Cog - Pure mind reading methods for ‘think of a card’', this is misleading and undersells the book, what Ben is actually handing you here is a method for direct mind reading that can be applied to far more than just cards, I especially liked his Coins section, I feel that will be fun to play with and can't wait to try it out. My personal success rate with these techniques have been very encouraging, I've nailed around four out of five thought of cards exactly, one of which being off by the suit only. Going forward I intend to take these techniques away from the cards and incorporate them into my current mind reading techniques.

I would like to conclude by saying Ben is a very clever thinker and more importantly a really nice guy, if you get the pleasure of meeting Ben I'm sure you'd be impressed and grateful to have spent time with him. I know I was.

Karl
Been slow to perform this, but thought this book was absolutely brilliant, mostly because it's a principle that can be applied to just about anything. I would have payed 3x asking amount for this info.
Its such a lovely, lovely piece and something I can see anyone using. I finished a demo video for this :D It doesn't have the flash introductions its raw unedited what you see is what you get (It shows you just how amazing this can be!).

I have several different variations other than them in print (which I have discussed with Ben) Having used these techniques for years and having LOTS of unpublished material on this stuff (which several people including Ben have received). Who knows there might be a mix of minds in the future for a future collaboration!

Good premise, good effect, well written.

Pete x
[quote]
On 2013-09-25 20:27, adamellusionist wrote:
POsted this as a new thread. My fault I meant to add it here.

Hi all,
I don't normally post on here to advertise other peoples products by my friend Ben Seward just put out a book I think should be seen and studied. It's rare that something this smart and well thought out comes out for the community to enjoy. I would highly recommend anyone looking to open your mind a bit to a concept that, when perfected can literally change your reputation into a real mind reader.
I'm confident that anyone who reads and absorbs the ideas in this book will be a much better performer because of it.
-Adam

[/quote]

With four posts at the time it doesn't look like you normally post here about any subject. ;)
This is part of the dream for using cards in mentalism, to have your spectator think of a card and then you tell them what it is. Doesn't get much more direct than that!!! truly spectacular book and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it! went out to a gig after just reading and received hits all night! awesome stuff!!!!
Also, this is releasing on Ellusionist this coming wednesday, I believe.
I would gladly place an order of a Peter Turner/Ben Seward work. There is also a pretty awesome psy force by Fraser Parker in this book. Hopefully even though this is being distributed by Ellusionist, the release will still be limited so I can keep this to my greedy self. ;o)
Ellusionist began selling Cog for $20 then as I was in middle of checking out earlier the price was raised to $40. So let's just say I haven't yet purchased it. Still waiting to hear back from them about this. Hopefully I will hear good news.
Just received Email advertisement from Ellusionist featuring COG. Read through the forum and then purchased it -- looking forward to receiving it and digesting it's ideas. Will be attending a master class with Richard Osterlind at the end of March, and hope to have assimilated the technique by then, sounds like fun to perform for fellow students (don't know that I'll be able to fool Richard, though). Hope to see some fellow posters on the FB page when I get into it. :)
A live performance by Peter Turner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjL0Co7iTo
Can anyone speak to retention? This is a bit of a weird question, I know:

Is this a knack thing that once you get it you have it? Or is it something people have found you can stop being proficient at if you don't keep using it?

Aka - is it like riding a bike? Or is it "use it or lose it?"

Thanks!

(Ps I know people may not be able to answer this but personal experience is helpful. It's just I'm going to head off to college soon and one of the pieces of advice I keep getting is hold off on magic first semester of college)
I should mention I already bought the book, and I'm waiting to receive it.
I think that this is one of the most interesting techniques in mentalism... the book is awesome...
Ben did an excellent job on it... but I hate the fact that it is now available for everybody! The value of this technique is also more than 40$!
I really don't know what to say now... I really hope that you, ben, will have success with it! But I think it is too good for an ellusionist product (:
Great to see the performance by Pete!
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 10:54, Jeff Wassom wrote:
Great to see the performance by Pete!
[/quote]

+2

I Love COG.....
Lots of scripting gems in there from Peter.

Making playing cards emotionally relevant by saying 'I don't want to reveal anything too personal, so we'll use a playing card' was brilliant. lol

Gonna go back through video with a note pad ASAP.
I am dissapointed that Ellusionist is going to be selling this. A bunch of kids are going to be showing how it is done in youtube.
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 15:48, Joaquin wrote:
I am dissapointed that Ellusionist is going to be selling this. A bunch of kids are going to be showing how it is done in youtube.
[/quote]
I second that...
[quote]
On 2013-09-26 08:11, Ben Seward wrote:

There will only be 250 printed copies.

[/quote]

I guess he missed the word, 'ever'.
[quote]
On 2014-01-14 10:51, Jeff Wassom wrote:
I would gladly place an order of a Peter Turner/Ben Seward work. There is also a pretty awesome psy force by Fraser Parker in this book. Hopefully even though this is being distributed by Ellusionist, the release will still be limited so I can keep this to my greedy self. ;o)
[/quote]

This is solely Ben's work. He's the man behind this great idea :D

I just agreed to film a quick clip in this thread and made good on it.

Pete x
[quote]
I have several different variations other than them in print (which I have discussed with Ben) Having used these techniques for years and having LOTS of unpublished material on this stuff (which several people including Ben have received). Who knows there might be a mix of minds in the future for a future collaboration!

Pete x
[/quote]

Pete was referring to this. Didn't mean the to take anything away from Ben. One of the best purchases I made this year.
Can't wait to receive mine! I really love these bold little methods! This reminds me of Springboard by Michael Murray and White Room by Ran Pink.
Imagine incorporating either one with COG :O
So they are merely thinking of a card, and basically changing their mind, so the COG method is 10000000 % invisible now!
Or even with Getting to know you by Peter Turner!
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 18:13, Sashac wrote:
Or even with Getting to know you by Peter Turner!
[/quote]

yep, good idea!
The good news: Cog is available in the USA from Ellusionist.

The bad news: Purchasers of the Ellusionist edition will *not* be admitted to the closed Facebook group.
Worse news. Ellusionist is sold out.
Received mine a few days back from Ben.
The book is tiny in size, trust me, you will be shocked, it's like a long pocket edition.
About 50 pages.
Writing is very good, clear and concise, no BS.
A few mistakes in there, but nothing major and you probably won't even notice them.
Method is simple and straightforward, but it's one of those things that you get good at after failure. You WILL fail.
First few pages are scary as he explains another method that is not as good, and I initially thought that was it.
The video Pete did is not exactly how it is explained in COG, it's a little bolder (suitwise and not being able to change the prediction).
I give this a solid 8.9/10, just because it's not for everyone, and I'm annoyed that E re-released this.
Dkahane, is that info coming directly from ben?
Having recently purchased this, I encourage everyone to PERFORM this on real people. The only way to get good at this is through practice...there is an inherent failure rate embedded into this, but you will get better with time.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2014-01-20 12:42, magiclarsen wrote:
Dkahane, is that info coming directly from ben?
[/quote]

Magiclarsen -

Yesl directly from Ben.
This sounds a bit like contact mind reading. The more you use it, the better you get at it. I am looking forward to learning about Cog and particularly other ways the concept can be used.
I ordered mine from Ben directly. Hopefully I can get on the Facebook group. Trying to email him. Haven't heard back yet. So excited to get this!
Cog is a fantastic concept. I've had nothing but success with it since my purchase from Ben. However, I'm weary about ellusionist selling this. Those of us that purchased sight unseen were told that there would only be 250 printed copies. Does this still hold true? I'm purely speculating, but I doubt that "E" would limit their investment to less than 250 sales.

[quote]
On 2013-09-26 08:11, Ben Seward wrote:
Ola

I thought I would join this forum so I could answer any questions, so they don't have to be answered by third parties. Hopefully this will make sure you only get accurate information straight from me.
I've read this forum for years but ive never really felt I could add anything by posting.
COG is a set of techniques that ive been developing, refining and using for about 5 years now. Its finally ready to release and is a direct as I always wanted it to be. Ive performed them to countless spectators and quite a few pros. Its is my go to effect and all of the ideas can be adapted to any style or effect.

I'll be handing out 5 review copies (PDFs of the basic effect) to the first 5 people to email me b@bdeceived.co.uk that way you will have honest reviews from people you know, recognise an trust.

@brehaut the book is still on preorder. Its still being printed. (you are one of the 5 review copies email me you email address and ill send it over)
@BMWguy there is currently no plans to release a ebook (other than the 5 review copies). There will only be 250 printed copies.

looking forward to hearing your thoughts and reviews.

Cheers
Ben
[/quote]
Why are the people who buy from E being excluded?
FYI, I just got mine today (from Ellusionist), and when I ordered I emailed Ben Seward about the Facebook group, and he immediately replied, and assured me that he would answer any questions directly if I email him again.

[quote]
Unfortunately the private group was set up for the first edition only. The ellusionist edition might have its own forum they haven't decided yet. The forum was only to allow people to help each other by discussing the methods more openly than a public forum would allow. If you have any questions about the book I would be more than happy to help.
Im sorry. I hope you enjoy the book.

Honestly sir, any problem just get in touch.

Cheers
Ben
[/quote]

I consider that great customer service :)

...and now to dive into the book and see what this is about.
Any way to get this now?
I believe Ben is still selling copies. I ordered mine last week and he emailed me the next day that it's on its way.

D
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 21, 2014 06:40PM)
According to his site, Ben appears to now be sold out of his original limited run.
All sold out from Ben he emailed me to confirm this yesterday

Regards Carl
Any chance of a reprint?
Hopefully I'll be receiving my copy today or tomorrow. Anyone who ordered directly from Ben that is in the US, how long did it take you to get yours?
I have not been able to hit with this at all...I have to try more and build more confidence.

The vid itself was a bit discouraging...several of the techniques in the book don't even happen in the video, things that are central to the method according to the book. Gotta keep at it.
I really like a lot of the concepts in this, and the fact that it encourages you to learn to read people and situations will, I believe, draw out the best in you as a performer.

Best,

Atlas
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 23, 2014 05:17PM)
Keep at it--it does work wonderfully. Approaching this with no fear of failure is a huge help. If that means you need to have outs ready to have that sense of security, there's no shame in that. But, in the end, just fearlessly throwing everything you have into it had (for me, at least, YMMV) the resulting effect of the techniques actually working better. Nobody is going to string you up if you're wrong (in fact, I believe there's a provided "out" of using a full-on miss as a positive segue into another effect.)

All the "go for it!" cheers aside, if you're not even hitting with the first technique, then I think I could take a good guess at the culprit. If you bought the book directly from Ben and are part of the FB group, post there and I (and others that know far more than I) will give you any help you need.

[quote]
On 2014-01-23 16:18, DynaMix wrote:
I have not been able to hit with this at all...I have to try more and build more confidence.

The vid itself was a bit discouraging...several of the techniques in the book don't even happen in the video, things that are central to the method according to the book. Gotta keep at it.
[/quote]
One of the reasons why this is so special is that not everyone will try this. Those that fear failure will definitely stay away from this technique. And for those that use it, it will be that much more powerful.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]

[/quote]

The great thing about the book is Ben outlines lots of different ways to do this :D

I have been using these techniques for a long time I have written several pieces in the past using this principle. Every thing used in the video is in the book, I have done this for so long I don't really have to think about it as I know what I am looking for. When I offered earlier in this thread to film the video, I cherry picked the techniques I would use from the book.

To put all the principles outlined in the book into the video is not only time consuming, it's not necessary as there is so many ways offered to achieve the effect outlined in the book. Not only that the people who bought the book would be complaining that there was too much filmed and wonder why they bought the book. I picked the techniques from within the book that I believe were the most streamlined.

To be fair and honest this is NOT how I would perform Cog (how I did in the demo), if I had put my spin on this and presented it the way I would usually present material people would have complained that my presentation wasn't in the book. I performed it the fastest and most streamlined way I could to show how amazingly simple this piece can be.

It just takes a little practice but with the right patience it can be used for a multitude of things :D

Pete x
I received the book a couple of days ago. It's a really small book but written clearly.

I would say these sorts of technique wouldn't make much sense to be used to discern a thought of card. It's a might be a good thought of card trick done between effects or very casually. But there are so many thought of card plots out there that are much quicker and stronger.

However, these things would kill if put into a reading situation. It would kill. I could imagine people scream already. The value of the book lies beyond the book.

A good read.

Best,
Mike
My thoughts are similar to Mike's. These are powerful techniques which, personally, I would never use to divine a playing card -- not because they don't work, but because I simply don't like divining playing cards; if I'm going to read someone's thoughts, I feel there are more interesting thoughts to read. Fortunately these ideas are applicable far beyond that plot. I'm very happy with this purchase, and it's something I'll be studying and thinking about for a while.
I'm with Mike and Joshua, if tried it as in the book as part of the learning process and had a good hit rate but this is wasted on a card trick and I have other direct and sure fire methods for divining a thought of card. However the applications for this are as endless as they are powerful.

This has even massively improved my hit rate on prevaricator (those who have both will understand why). I now know who is lying before I have even asked a question around 85-90% of the time and I can even throw in heads or tails without the use of electronics with a pretty high hit rate.

This was money well spent even though I will rarely (if ever) perform the effect as detailed in the book.

Mark
Hey all, is this still available? I've been working on some reverse engineering stuff to get a similar effect, but really want a copy to see the techniques Ben and Pete have both came up with.

Best Wishes,
-Jacob
COG is now available at Ellusionist again
Is the E version different from the original version sold by Ben?
Is it still limited?
I just placed an order for COG on E.
I believe it is the same, as Ben says on his twitter account that it's only going to be available from E from now on.
Ben has sold out of his remaining stock.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Feb 6, 2014 08:52AM)
[quote]
On 2014-02-06 07:01, EricDraven wrote:
Is the E version different from the original version sold by Ben?
Is it still limited?
[/quote]

I have both, and the material is the same. The main difference (besides not having the "E" logo on the back) is that the original 250 copies came with access to the private FaceBook group where some pretty great additional thoughts/uses continue to be discussed.
Mhh no access to fb?
ok I pass...
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 18:17, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Keep at it--it does work wonderfully. Approaching this with no fear of failure is a huge help. If that means you need to have outs ready to have that sense of security, there's no shame in that. But, in the end, just fearlessly throwing everything you have into it had (for me, at least, YMMV) the resulting effect of the techniques actually working better. Nobody is going to string you up if you're wrong (in fact, I believe there's a provided "out" of using a full-on miss as a positive segue into another effect.)

All the "go for it!" cheers aside, if you're not even hitting with the first technique, then I think I could take a good guess at the culprit. If you bought the book directly from Ben and are part of the FB group, post there and I (and others that know far more than I) will give you any help you need.

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Wow I had no idea some of you responded to me, I must've missed it somehow. Thank you for your thoughts sir, (Peter as well) I think part of the problem is that I hit so often on basic card psy forces (QH, KofSpades etc), I just have that aforementioned nervousness...gotta move past that though. I will definitely keep at it. I think sometimes in the mind of the spectator they can't tell the difference between various methods of revealing/predicting "thought of" cards. But this technique is obviously worth working on. I will post to the fb group (I am indeed a member) and get into some specifics.

Thanks all. Really made my day!
Is the the cog book available at ellusionist a first edition print.
Hi,
can somebody tell me if it is the same as RTYM?

Here is a link for the effect :
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=359621&forum=159

Norbert
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Mar 5, 2014 10:46AM)
[quote]
On Mar 5, 2014, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
[/quote]

Oddly enough, both the copy originally purchasable directly from Ben as well as the Ellusionist version (at least the first round they offered them) all say "1st Edition" inside. While this makes little to no sense (how can there be later editions that also say 1st?) it says it nonetheless. I'm uncertain if subsequent publishings by Ellusionist also say "1st Edition", but I wouldn't be surprised if they do given this original oversight. If you're asking if any of the Ellusionist versions ever allowed access to the Facebook group, though, then the answer is no.

[quote]
On Mar 5, 2014, p_n_g wrote:
[/quote]

It is not the same.
Just came home and what should I find...a lovely little package that neatly wrapped inside is a a samll black and white soft bound book with a cog on it. While it took only about 20 or thirty minutes to read, the information is still digesting as my mind thinks of the possibilities. These principles are REAL non-contact mind reading that can be performed completely naked (though not advised...unless you're a sexy little creten with terrible hair like yours truly of course)! I want to just quickly say that this is pretty fantastic and honestly I doubt a lot of people will do it because it's too bold, beautiful...and oh yeah REAL! You at no point have to lie about what you are doing, which for me means the process is much more relaxed and it feels as if you are really a mind reader because you are. Beautiful piece of work, something I am definitely going to put the work into, Fraser Parker's contribution was mind blowing as well!

Much Love,
-Jakob
Two things I'd like to chime in with...

1) Edition and printing are two different things. This is still first edition if it is the same material as what Ben produced in the first 250.

2) As someone who missed out on the first 250 (I made a ToDo I never got back to ;-) I did buy it from E because I wanted it, but IMHO, saying that only the ones who got Ben's original printing can get to the FB group is petty. It is rude and disrespectful to people who want to learn and do justice to the material, and a slap in the face saying "you were not fast enough to get it from me (hell, what about people who had to scrape the $ together???), so you can't talk to the others who bought it from me because you were late"

I might be less harsh if it was stated at the outset, "there are 250, that will have access to a FB group, and after that you won't have that access" but this is BS. It came about after someone thought it would be a good idea for a private roup, so Ben set one up, then afterewards decided anyone who did not get it directly from him after the first 250 ran out, could not join.

I like the material, I like Ben, and I usually don't vent, but this is garbage.

[quote]
On Mar 5, 2014, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
[quote]
On Mar 5, 2014, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
[/quote]

Oddly enough, both the copy originally purchasable directly from Ben as well as the Ellusionist version (at least the first round they offered them) all say "1st Edition" inside. While this makes little to no sense (how can there be later editions that also say 1st?) it says it nonetheless. I'm uncertain if subsequent publishings by Ellusionist also say "1st Edition", but I wouldn't be surprised if they do given this original oversight. If you're asking if any of the Ellusionist versions ever allowed access to the Facebook group, though, then the answer is no.

[quote]
On Mar 5, 2014, p_n_g wrote:
[/quote]

It is not the same.
[/quote]
I guess the other side of the coin is that those of us who bought one of the first 250 thought we were buying a limited edition only to see it go on general release. Mind you the number of people that will put the effort in to master this will be less than the original 250 copies and those that will use it to its full potential are even less still.

Mark
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Mar 24, 2014 01:45PM)
Additionally, those of us that purchased the first run (through Ben) paid more. It makes sense that he'd want to provide some sort of additional value to those that were told it'd be a limited run. I can understand that it feels disappointing to not have access to a pool of additional material (which is why I purchased one of the last of Ben's version directly from him *after* having purchased the E version--and for the record: it was totally worth it) but that hardly seems like a reason for one to throw around words like "petty". Given your strong reaction, I suspect that you'd be equally outraged if you were one of the original purchasers of the 250 run and the group was opened to everyone outside of that limited run.
Not at all. If I knew up front there was this group I would not have waited and bought it as soon as it hit. The group was created on a suggestion later, unplanned, and then said "you bought my work, but were not one of the first, so sorry, we're having this secret conversation because we're part of the club and no new members"

Leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

My question is, why would you want to exclude a group of people who you want to do justice to your work and bought it fair and square? Isn't that counterintuitive?

Either make it limited edition, or don't. But don't exclude your customers because someone had a nice idea after you released it, and (I still don't know why you would want to exclude people you don't want doing a half assed job with your work) then you decide to shut people out after the fact.
I love cog but for what its worth there ain't much happening on the cog forum.

Kieran
[quote]
On Mar 27, 2014, daver wrote:
Not at all. If I knew up front there was this group I would not have waited and bought it as soon as it hit. The group was created on a suggestion later, unplanned, and then said "you bought my work, but were not one of the first, so sorry, we're having this secret conversation because we're part of the club and no new members"

My question is, why would you want to exclude a group of people who you want to do justice to your work and bought it fair and square? Isn't that counterintuitive?

Either make it limited edition, or don't. But don't exclude your customers because someone had a nice idea after you released it, and (I still don't know why you would want to exclude people you don't want doing a half assed job with your work) then you decide to shut people out after the fact.
[/quote]

Great point.
If it was a limited release, it should have been the original and nothing else.
[quote]
On Mar 27, 2014, daver wrote:

[/quote]

Why not start a facebook group for all COG users, yourself. It takes very little effort and you'd have a bigger subscriber base than the limited group.
[quote]
On Mar 27, 2014, magicman29 wrote:

Kieran
[/quote]

Find this hilarious considering the uproar.
[quote]
On Mar 27, 2014, Jeff Wassom wrote:
[quote]
On Mar 27, 2014, magicman29 wrote:

Kieran
[/quote]

Find this hilarious considering the uproar.
[/quote]

The latter buyers would not have known that though.
Yeah, I bought this as a limited release when it first came out, and tried to get on the COG forum but do to some miscommunication wasn't able to get added.

I feel Mark Chandaue hit the nail on the head with very few people investing the trial and error required to become skilled with this. That's why I wasn't mad the release became unlimited.

Feel the same way with Peter Turner's work. Just happy to have the book. =)
I agree with Jeff. Who cares if it's limited or not. Within 3 months, few will remember this and of the many that bought it while it was hot, very few will ever use it. So the few that master it will still be in rarified air.
@Sean - I actually thought if that, but it's not my work, and it's a little dicey for my ethically because I'm not ursurping the creator.

@reignofsound - Exactly. I thought there was valuable discussion going on that people who were investing the time into it wuld/should benefit from, but we would not have know it was kinda dead because we can't see it ;-)

I would love to have some discussion with users of COG tho. I might just try to start something going knowing that this "exclusive" group got so exclusive no one was in it :-) Maybe if Ben opened it up, it would become what it could be...
How is everyone getting on with this?

I've been doing it at most gigs for a month now. I feel I am making progress, I can usually get the colour and close to the value, but sometimes get a surprise on the suit.

Have had it right a number of times, but equally wrong a great number too! :-)
Got it.
Ben's service was very rapid.
Now I'll start reading it and then I'll try it out.
Only then I'll report on my progresses and ideas.
Thank you Ben.
Ben provided me one of the finest customer service I have ever had. I had the problem with one of the phases of "real mind reading" and he explained me exactly what I was doing wrong and guided me on the right path.

On the effect; what can I say, it is one of the best impromptu mentalism out there, once you got it down, you are always ready to perform this miracle.

Blessings
Ulrich
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Feb 27, 2015 04:24PM)
Last night I had a perfect moment to perform this..

One of my coworkers found out I was a mentalist, and as soon as I pulled out my cards getting ready to do an ACAAN, she pulled out a card immediately and held it close to her. She asked, "Alright Mr. Mentalist.. What is it?"

I don't think she quite expected me to respond by performing COG and correctly guessing the card! She nearly crapped her pants! Lol!

Love it!
I just learned about cog, is it still available? I'm ready to purchase this right now.
I found this very interesting, a short text but with a lot of good ideas. As well as thumbs up for the content, it is great looking little booklet. The only negative is that, having put so much work into refining the ideas and the lovely graphics, it seems that no-one checked the spelling or grammar, which give an amateur feel to it.
Is this still available, cant see it on Ellusionists web site..?
No, it was discontinued some time ago. You'll have to find it on the second hand market, probably. Could also try contacting Seward to see if he knows where any copies may be.