(Close Window)
Topic: Eye of the idol
I like this Tenyo trick very much and I find this very beautiful and ingenious. I think the Eye of the Idol is really science applied to magic: and for me was very difficult to really understand the mechanism behind, when I first saw it on the web.

But... When I make this routine, even children understand how it's done! I don't know why (maybe its my fault in executing the game)... It's not as obvious (for me), but children or people without magic experience understand the mechanism at once. Strange thing: people with some magic knowledge remain puzzled and begin thinking. In this case, a minimum magic knowledge is not a benefit!
Interesting.

Perhaps you are placing the idol too deliberately and not casually enough.

The recent Magic Wagon effect "diceolation" has some similar mechanics at work.
If it is handled casually it absolutely floors people but if the moves are careful and deliberate it becomes fairly
obvious.

Then again in the case if Idol maybe magicians are looking for something more complex than laymen?
You are right: probably I'm not very clever in the movements...

I think children or layman understand at once "something" because they don't think too deep: magician (who are not physics) think very deeply, but the type of movement, which is rotatory and circular, not linear, is not so obvious even if you think in the right direction...
The trick is great, the principle behind it just amazing...
But I must agree there is a chance of understanding "something" as long as there is in my opinion some kind of "not perfectly" natural thing to do.
However, the best way I believe to reduce that fact is not to repeat the trick as it is proposed! If you do it just once, it's just inexplicable. Maybe doing it a second time would be ok, with a little time misdirection. But more than that wouldn't be a good idea...

Concerning "diceolation", I just love the trick. Really. And I think you can really repeat it many times, the gestures are so natural... In my opinion, more practical thant Eye of the Idol.

best

merlin
Thanks, Merlin.

I normally put immediately every choosen stone inside the box: I make this also with the first stone.

I've never seen Diceolation, and I don't want to see it... Otherwise I'm sure I want to buy it! :)
I agree Merlin... Diceolation is not only my favorite EVER Magic Wagon effect but is quickly becoming one of my overall favorites. I just love the method and it is very, very easy (for me at least) to routine this in a very natural way.I also have a lsight variation on handling some of the numbers that makes it even smoother. But imagine if you did not handle the (admitedly very simple) moves properly. Imagine sliding the small box deliberatly to one side of the larger box... it would become obvious what is happening or at least peopel woudl have some clue. I think it is the same with Eye of the Idol If done VERY casually and naturally it can work well, but if you are thinking about and deliberatly placing the idol is starts to appeat very forced and obvious.

BTW Makus.... the "good" news for you is that Diceolation is long sold out and very difficult to find... so you won't have to worry about purchasing one!
[quote]BTW Makus.... the "good" news for you is that Diceolation is long sold out and very difficult to find... so you won't have to worry about purchasing one![/quote]

If you wish it, it will come:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=527804&forum=76&2
Thanks Cyber, but I cannot see the topic you indicate.

I'm very curious about "Diceolation": I've tried to find something on youtube, but the only video found was "Chiang Mai Block"! :)
Makus:
The Magic Wagon items are made in very small numbers... usually around 50, and then that's it. So you generally do not see a ton out there in terms of videos and so on. They are mostly collectors items and often are somewhat Tenyo-like in effect or even method.

Diceolation is a really cool trick and one of thier best. Basically there is a larger wood box and when opened a small black velvet box is inside, when that box is opened dice is inside. The performer can control the number of the dice facing up and therefore "predict" what the spectator will choose.

It works incredibly well and is a really great effet that can be presented in many diffrent ways and with multiple phases. It's expensive but it's cool.
[quote]Makus wrote:
I cannot see the topic you indicate[/quote]

Check again. Now that you've reached the "golden" number of 50 posts, the link should be available to you. If not, go to the "For sale and trade" section and look for the thread "For Sale: MAGIC WAGON RARE GOODIES!".
Seen, thank you! But I'm impressed by the value of these old Tenyos! :)
Speaking of Eye of the Idol I have a spare copy of this effect which I wouldn't mind selling. It's in Excellent condition. Anyone interested?
Hello, I have just bought Eye of the Idol but it dit not come with instructions. Can anyone help me. It looks pretty easy but I am not 100% that mine is working right. My email is fherreravillegas@yahoo.es Thanks,
Eye of the Idol is available in different idols and skulls all made in wood and elegant by Eric Hansen. These are $400-500+ but absolutely beautiful. Taking away the plastic makes this a much better and creepier effect. Anyone who wants a connection to this please PM me. Hope this is helpful to collectors and pros.
If you want to see additional photos of Eric's version you can see more in my thread "My Newest Tenyo Like Treasure" below. I worked closely with Eric on this and agree Starmanager this is a beautiful piece for sure! :)

Cheers,

John
John please add that thread link for us!

JT
Https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=665108&forum=258&start=20

Scroll down and onto the next page for some references...

John
Thank you JT!

JT
Thanks John and Jonathon for supporting my art.

I have been inspired by the Tenyo's Eye of The Idol. Changing the material, looks and strength I have now named my version "AHead by a Mystery" Thanks to Steve Snyderman for helping me with the naming. Each one is unique and there will never be exact duplicates.

A huge thanks to my favourite magic mentor John Talbot for helping me out with this one.

Eric
Sleight of Hansen
https://www.facebook.com/eric.hansen.566/media_set?set=a.10155478363619954&type=3
Fans of Eric's work and those who want to learn more will have an electronic catalog within a few weeks. I'll post here with a link when it is available. Great work such as Eric's needs to be seen and collected!
Yes, he does make great pieces even if he is a Canuck! :goof:
... so were you until we kicked you out.... :)
[quote]On Jan 26, 2020, J M Talbot wrote:
... so were you until we kicked you out.... :) [/quote]

Are you kidding? I didn't need a kick to get the hell out of there! :nod:
Sorry, I forgot you grew up in Scarborough... :)
Won't defend that fact!!
Eric Hansen, I checked out your Facebook page and your workmanship is amazingly beautiful. Well Done.
14 days after mailing it looks like my Eric Hansen Idol is arriving soon!
Canada has mules for delivery . . .
Careful... those are Union mules... :)
Funny JT! The Union Mules brought my package and the Idol is beyond perfect. Just fantastic work by Eric Hansen! I'm traveling but will take photos in a week or so to share.
Glad it finally arrived! You will love it. Eric and I chatted this week and are cooking up another idea :)
Keep me posted as I will add it to the electronic catalog I'm building for him!
[quote]On Jan 31, 2020, J M Talbot wrote:
Glad it finally arrived! You will love it. Eric and I chatted this week and are cooking up another idea :) [/quote]

Will the new idea be based on a Tenyo as well?
Not Tenyo but will be loosely based on something from another favorite Japanese magic company Tricks Co. :) Will be cool if it all comes together... right Eric? ;)
The set I bought from Eric is by far my most treasured magic item by far.

Besides the effect itself, Peoples jaws drop when they see it and are almost more excited to examine the pieces beauty more than watching the actual trick. "What are these little stones made of? and Where can I buy some?" are probably my most asked questions.

Works. Of. Art.
[quote]On Feb 5, 2020, dbox wrote:
The set I bought from Eric is by far my most treasured magic item by far.

Besides the effect itself, Peoples jaws drop when they see it and are almost more excited to examine the pieces beauty more than watching the actual trick. "What are these little stones made of? and Where can I buy some?" are probably my most asked questions.

Works. Of. Art. [/quote]

I have to agree. I will get photos of mine up here soon. This is about the single best and most beautiful piece of artistic and functional magic I own, though my Todd Lassen Coins will always rank as my #1 investment.
Iím very interested in this!!!!
Website?
I tried searching. Found his FB and the pics there are beautiful.
[quote]On Feb 14, 2020, mikenewman wrote:
Iím very interested in this!!!!
Website?
I tried searching. Found his FB and the pics there are beautiful. [/quote]

Mike PM me and I will get you information and an introduction to Eric. I'm actually working on a web based catalog for him but that's weeks off still. For now - PM me and ?I'll get you in touch with Eric my friend!
I can tell you this...if you buy one of his masterpieces, you will be absolutely delighted!

Each one of his sets is unique and quite beautiful.

By the way, the official name for his creations of this effect is ABAM which stands for AHead by a Mystery.

No two are alike and each one a work of art.

Not only that but Eric happens to be a great guy!

So Mike...buy one and do it with complete confidence. You cannot be disappointed!
[quote]On Feb 14, 2020, Magical Moments wrote:
I can tell you this...if you buy one of his masterpieces, you will be absolutely delighted!

Each one of his sets is unique and quite beautiful.

By the way, the official name for his creations of this effect is ABAM which stands for AHead by a Mystery.

No two are alike and each one a work of art.

Not only that but Eric happens to be a great guy!

So Mike...buy one and do it with complete confidence. You cannot be disappointed! [/quote]

TOTALLY AGREE WITH EVERY WORD HERE!
Thanks Steve , John, and Jonathon for supporting my work and the most helpful advice. This has encouraged me to make a variety of AHead by a Mystery (ABAM). One of my goals, is to make an all stone version. Will also make a video demonstrating the different versions.

Eric
Sleight of Hansen
Catalog sample should be ready before the end of February and once ready I will post the link to Eric's work and how to order here and on other threads!
Eric was very kind enough to chat with me on FaceTime, showing me this BEAUTIFUL effect and discussing details on how he acquired the wood himself, etc.
These are VERY exquisite! Personally made by Eric.

Can't wait to see the catalog.

@Eric
Be prepared my friend! once more see these, you will be busy!! :)

Mike
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, mikenewman wrote:
Eric was very kind enough to chat with me on FaceTime, showing me this BEAUTIFUL effect and discussing details on how he acquired the wood himself, etc.
These are VERY exquisite! Personally made by Eric.

Can't wait to see the catalog.

@Eric
Be prepared my friend! once more see these, you will be busy!! :)

Mike [/quote]

Eric saw the start of the catalog two days ago. We are working on the available items and Eric's bio right now. You are right that once this is available he will no longer have a life! He's going to be relegated to killing trees and making magic! Catalog link will be posted here. We will release a basic version when ready and will keep it updated over time adding new products and deleting sold in real time on the same catalog link. Once you have the link you'll always know what Eric has in stock! So happy to be bringing this to the fraternity because nothing beats his work and so few have access now.

Stay tuned!
Mine is almost complete. From Eric!
Itís a work of exquisite unique art and beauty!!!!
I was literally speechless looking at the pics he sent me!

Eric is also an amazing gentleman to work with.

This is my favorite purchase in my entire life of magic!

Thank you Eric for everything!

Mike
Awesome Mike! COVID slowed me down but I will finish the catalog for Eric soon!
Just bought one from Eric and can't wait for it to arrive
Boy oh boy are you in for a real treat ElDan88!!!
Nothing like his work. Eric is the Todd Lassen of Idols . . . . You will go nuts when you start using this. It is just a joy!
Just very recently, I got mine from Eric. Amazing!
Is the catalog ready yet?
[quote]On Jun 14, 2020, markymarkmagicuk wrote:
Is the catalog ready yet? [/quote]

The catalog is close to complete but COVID really set me back. Work and communications have taken 120% of my time but this is not forgotten and will get something - even if not complete - out by the end of this month!
Many thanks Jonathon. Please take care and all is good here.

Thanks everyone for investing in my work, much appreciated.

Eric