(Close Window)
Topic: How do you rehearse?
I'm curious how you guys rehearse your mem-deck routines? Specifically, I'm looking for tips on how to rehearse Histed Heisted. Obviously I need to practice the fundamentals such as reciting MD order and remembering the name based on the number, but this is just practice. How do you rehearse the actual routine without multiple spectators present? I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have. Thanks!
It comes naturally when you have the stack down pat - e.g you don't need to rehearse how to figure out the selections. Of course patter etc. is another matter.

But to answer your question; you can rehearse it "backwards". Sort out the groups and place them face down in front of you and choose one card for each spectator at random. Then recite the stack as in performance and try to think ahead on which number each card will fall. It won't be the same as in performance but it will definitely help you establish the thinking.

Once in a while I rehearse the stack itself in the groups of Histed Heisted, 1-11-21-31-41-51 etc. Not sure if it helps but at least you're staying familiar with the specifics. :)
I use my StackView software. For the routine in question, I record a Session of the spectator actions, and play them back as required by the routine. It certainly beats having my family grind through the practice sessions.
Nick