(Close Window)
Topic: Best Collection of Self Working Card Tricks (DVD, Book or Download)
Hi, I'm looking for the best collection of self working card tricks, could be a book, a dvd or even a download. Thank you!! =)
Consider Fulves book "Self Working Card Tricks". Can't say it is definitely the BEST as I haven't read every other book out there, but I went through it the other day and circled about 20 effects that I would do/suit my style, etc. For the price of the book, that's impressive.
Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie
Scarne on Card Tricks

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "BEST" in magic, let alone a truly self working trick, but here's a couple books that have quite a few gems in them.
Echoing here that there is no "best."

In addition to the superb suggestions above I would add:

Semi Automatic Card Tricks series (8 volume set) by Steve Beam
The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks edited by Jean Hugard
I would agree that 'best' is difficult because it's so subjective. However, the Self-Working Card Tricks from Big Blind Media are pretty good. I also enjoy Card College Light. I know there are two more books in the series but I don't have them (yet!) so I can't comment on them.

Dave
Different lines can be drawn as to what's "self-working" and what isn't. There are many, to me, self working effects/routines in my books over the decades. But again - where does one draw that line? HL.
Thanks for all the responses, I have seen a lot of post about great self working affects, Gemini twins, Out of this world, The Crusade etc etc but I am looking for a good DVD or Book to learn a few great tricks instead of just learning one.
Im thinking of buying Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks by BlingBling Media
Be sure to stay away from MY books. HL.
[quote]
On 2013-10-08 19:02, jpmillet wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, I have seen a lot of post about great self working affects, Gemini twins, Out of this world, The Crusade etc etc but I am looking for a good DVD or Book to learn a few great tricks instead of just learning one.
Im thinking of buying Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks by BlingBling Media
[/quote]

I am confused; we've all suggested books or DVDs; I haven't seen one post suggesting a single effect as you allude.
The Ultimate self working card tricks from BBM is a very good choice. I found Vol.1 better than Vol.2 though Vol.2 has some good trick and ideas (straight curved cards). If you like DVDs have a look at Aldo Colombini's site, there are a few DVDs or e-books to choose from.
I would add to the already good suggestions you've been given, the three books of the 'Card College Light' series, by Roberto Giobbi.

mlippo
The Card Magic of Nick Trost (the book). The BBM DVDs are also great.
I think there are that may self working effects in print, you could spend a lifetime learning new effects and principles and still could well have missed some of the "best"

To me that is half the fun of learning magic - you just never stop learning. As much as I love performing, I can get just as much joy out of finding an odd little effect in an old "children’s" magic book that I have never seen before.

The best, in my opinion, is any book you come across - Fill your library with new and old books and you just never know what you will find.
I think every magician (whether they do cards or not) should own at LEAST one of Harry Lorayne's books. They offer everything from self-working (or close) to not-so-self-working. But the man is a living legend...and a great teacher of principles that will allow you to dream up ways to change a routine, or create your own.
Im going to try the Harry Loraynes and Karl Fulves books, and also BBmedia Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks Vol 1 and 2!
Any other suggestion is welcome. Thank you very much!
Aldo Colombini e-books for download on his site. Very strong self working card tricks.
For those interested in Aldo Colombini's magic, his two Out-of-Print hardcover books, Close-Up Magic of Aldo Colombini and What's Up Deck, are currently available, new in Shrink-Wrap, on that "big E" auction site.
Steve Beam's "Semi-Automatic Card Tricks".
Nick Trost is my favorite one by far he was the man. Aldo Colombini has a set of dvd's dedicated to the great man... You caqn also check out Karl Fulves books those are also great.
I should be kicking myself! I forgot to mention one of my favorite sources, namely, Stewart James! Believe me, there is a lot more to James than self-workers but his self-workers are excellent and in the process as you study the rest of his considerable output, you will find ideas that are to this day, transformative. The big books are expensive but what they offer could never be mastered in two lifetimes.
Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi (The trick TNT is a killer)
L&L Publishing's just-announced WGM "Self-Working Card Tricks" offers 26 classics on 3 DVDs (or electronic downloads). Presenters include Harry Lorayne, Allan Ackerman, Daryl, David Regal, Michael Ammar, Johnny Thompson, Bill Malone, Eugene Burger and Larry Jennings. Doesn't get much better than that!

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=2975
I second Nick Trost. Also dear mr. fantasy has some great material.
The new gold standard is Destination Zero, by John Bannon...
Destination Zero looks really good, as a collector of Self Working Card Effects I will be picking this one up.
Check this out:

Out Of Sleight by Cameron Francis.

http://www.bigblindmedia.com/out-of-sleight-by-cameron-francis/
[quote]On Oct 8, 2013, jpmillet wrote:
Im thinking of buying Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks by BlingBling Media [/quote]
Magic is officially doomed.
Magic is officially doomed. [/quote/]

Because of self-working card magic? Wow.
[quote]On Jun 30, 2015, Rocky wrote:
Magic is officially doomed. [/quote/]

Because of self-working card magic? Wow. [/quote]
Wow indeed.
-All 4 Hardbound Volumes of Apocalypse by Lorayne
-The Card Magic of Nick Trost
-Card College Light Trilogy
And a few more that I won't mention just now.
[quote]On Jul 26, 2015, magicfish wrote:

And a few more that I won't mention just now. [/quote]

Like John Bannon's "Destination Zero", right? ;)
Destination Zero by John Bannon is a great book for these types of effects.
Yes, I realize this thread is almost a year old, but it's relevant to my question.

I am in search of a copy of Bannon's Destination Zero. If anyone has a copy they would like to sell, please let me know. I am checking ebay every day.

I just got the Move Zero volumes, and they are wonderful. I would love to have Destination Zero for the rest of the effects not in Move Zero.

Thank you very much.

-=Jeff
I believe DVDs Vol 3 & 4 will cover the rest of the book

But if you prefer to read magic - maybe contact BBM [if they produce the book as well, if not then whom ever did publish it] - as I am sure they will be able to help you
Oh, I wasn't aware that they were making more volumes. Great to know! Does anyone know the timeframe for release of them?

Bannon's web page says the book is sold out. He doesn't give any information on obtaining a copy.
I believe all four dvds were shot at the same time

So what ever the release date between 1 and 2 - should be similar to 3, and then Vol 4

But I know 'nothing'

Just going on what I have read on here or BBM
I've checked out Card College Light Trilogy by Roberto Giobbi's, such a great book for Self Working Card routine, can't wait to perform more of them.