(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Malone Effect
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Dec 18, 2003 03:57AM)
I think Bill Malone's 4 vol. set "on the loose" is a wealth of information & great effects. Out of all the material on these DVD's which is your favorite? For me, it was his version of the invis. deck, I use this all the time...a killer.
Has to be Sam The Bellhop. Love watching him perform his false shuffles.
Direct from the factory.
Sam the Bell Hop takes it for me.
I only have volume 1, so Sam The Bellhop for me as well..I Don't Even Have A Pocket would be a good one too
Though I never tire of Sam the Bellhop, I know I will never do it. I incorporated "Think, Touch and Turn" into my routine almost immediately and it gets a reaction way out of proportion to its difficulty. Please check it out.
I don;t have a favorite I love watching them all. I never get bored of watching his dvds.!
His Cards Across. A thing of beauty!
Bill in Lemon

Cards Across

Invisible Deck

Sorry, I can't choose just one. This is definitely a must have set for any conjurer.
Think, Touch, Turn is my favorite.
I like them all but his invisible palm is one of my favorites.
Slydini Silks
Think, Touch, Turn
Followed closely by Roger Smith's Maxi-Twist
Think Touch Turn
His version of Paul Harris' invisible Palm Aces
Favorite Opener (ingenious)
Faourite opener can't fool anybody if they are burning your hands. I tried it and got burned a couple of times.
That's if you're not proficient at the Throw Change.

I know a guy called Huron who is EXCELLENT at the Throw Change. It's his favorite change and it does fool lots of people. THey can't believe it because they clearly saw the card being thrown into their hands. YOu won't believe how soemthing as simple as this gets the hugest reactions.

People can only be looking at one spot at one time. They'll be looking at the card thrown in your hands which is sufficient time for you to clean up. It really doesn't matter (Like bill Malone said) if the card flashes a bit because of the excellent misdirection that would be involved.

If you want you could twist your body away from the spectator a bit so as to avoid flashing the card.
[quote]
On 2003-12-19 04:00, CLJ wrote:
[/quote]

Accually Larry Jennings created the idea of The invisible Palm from the open travelers routine. As for my favorite effects:

Bill in Lemon
Think touch turn
Cards across
Invisible deck
color changing knives
Matrix routine
I absolutely adore Think Touch Turn. Great effect. I perform it with the same handling as Bill most of the time, however occassionally I use a slight variation with some visible moments that the cards turn over using Mr. Guy Hollingworth's Optical Alignment move. That really kills. :D

-Oz
Invisible deck.
He does a great bill in lemon, but I think my favorite is his presentation of sam the bellhop, not just the trick, but the way he presents the whole thing :)
My Favourite effect is Sam The Bellhop. It gets a great audience reaction!!!
[quote]
On 2003-12-28 02:12, dave2lift wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-12-19 04:00, CLJ wrote:
[/quote]

Accually Larry Jennings created the idea of The invisible Palm from the open travelers routine. As for my favorite effects:

Bill in Lemon
Think touch turn
Cards across
Invisible deck
color changing knives
Matrix routine
[/quote]
I know that Invisible Palm Aces is an idea from LArry Jenning's Open Travellers. In fact I prefer Open Travellers over Invisible palm Aces. But I referred to it as Paul Harris' Invisible palm Aces since I originally learnt it from AoA. :) :) :)
Invisible Palm Aces is an idea from Open Travellers, but who's version isn't certain. If you have read Jennings 67' he gives a lot of information about it. But it's certian that Invisible Palm Aces is of Larry Jennings.
People go NUTS for SAM THE BELLHOP,,,,i mean it, NUTS!....this gets a huge reaction.....i just customized the patter and changed the deck a little to suit my style,,,,,,,it KILLS!.....
I like Think, Touch, Turn. I also like the Gemini Twins just because the story that goes with it is funny.
Think, Touch, Turn and Sam the bellhop.. Awsome magic.
Well for me Bill Malone just flat out rocks. I have all four of his On the Loose DVD's and I never get tired of watching them.

Actually, my favorite is not a trick at all, but Malone's presentation style. The tricks are so inconsequential in his patter. The tricks in his hands seem to melt into his character and stories much like a person’s hand gestures move around when simply talking to someone.

I also think this is may be the problem that Lonewolf123 has with seeing the beauty of “My Favorite Opener”, and I agree with CLJ, with the problem not being the TC but the presentation and misdirection.

Also, I might be inclined to think that if you are using this as a “opener”, your initial mannerism might be the culprit. By this I mean, have you invited your spectators to burn your hands by in some way saying…see if you can figure this out?

The only thing I have negative to say about Bill Malone is that he is holding out way to long for me in producing another DVD series……lol
Invisible Deck
Bill In Lemon
Cards Across
What I have to choose only one???

How were you guys able to choose???

I am sure that if some of you re-watch all 4 volumes, that you will change your mind, or add some more to the list!!!

Ronnie Lemieux -- who cannot choose only ONE... :-(
Montreal
Canada
Hmmm, I really didn't like his version of Cards across.... Perhaps its because I learnt others first, but I much prefer "One Butte Ox, Two Butte Ox" by M. Close. Just me???

Anyway, my favorite effect has got to be his Invisible Deck presentations.

All the other things are great effects, but his ID is so much more...

It takes a fantastic effect that many of us do, and turns it into a powerhouse of entertainment and spectator involvement that easily gets you 10 minutes of laughs and amazment, and almost assures you of getting 2 standing ovations throughout your show.

It is a rare thing to elevate a trick into a Performance Piece, and Bill has done it with his ID.
Card in shoe
STB
Cards from mouth

Frank..
I love his random card coughing fits. Another favorite is Maxi-Twist. It is almost like an impromptu NFW. And I also like Stand up Bill to Lemon and Resetting Reset.
[quote]
On 2005-01-11 05:32, Daegs wrote:
Hmmm, I really didn't like his version of Cards across.... Perhaps its because I learnt others first, but I much prefer "One Butte Ox, Two Butte Ox" by M. Close. Just me???
[/quote]

Hey Daegs,

Your not the only one, I really like his Cards Across routine (Just the simplicity of it enambled everything to be directed towards presentation) but I personally perfer Barrie Richardson's "Airplane Cards".
Card Coughing.
No one will agree with me, But I adore Apex Aces 2002. Great handiling for an amazing effect. Also like his bill in lemon. Heck, its all good!
3 card Monte....
Johnathan, I agree I love Apex Aces 2002 also. These have to be some of my favorite dvds. I use many of the routines regularly. Really can't pick a favorite, so here's what I use all the time:
Apex Aces 2002
I don't even have a pocket
Reseting Reset
Think, Touch, Turn
How To cheat in Las Vegas
How Cheaters Cheat
Cut'em High and Tie
Any Number Estimation, and you can do it too
Direct from the factory
Standing Ovation Invisible Deck

I use more than this from these dvds, but these are the ones I use the most.
My favorite is Cut'em High and Tie. Also like Invisible Deck.
The first 5 times I watched the series was for the effects and explanations. The next 10 or so was for entertainment.
I don't think that there is one mediocre trick in the entire series.Its all great.
How cheaters cheat
bill in lemon
I don't even have a pocket
I should have done it myself.

Everything is awesome!!!
Message: Posted by: Alejandro Peterson (Jan 18, 2005 05:41PM)
I second with the card across routine, invisible palm and Sam the Bellhop
I love almost all his routines but my favorites are:

Sam the Belhop

Cut'em and Tie

Think, Touch, Turn

Helder Sousa
Sam the Bellhop
As far as effects, I like Sam The Bellhop and Cards Across. As far as comedy bits, I like the Cards from the Mouth.

I also LOVE the reactions from the black guy sitting at the side of the table...hilarious!
Another vote for Sam the Bellhop from me. I can watch that over and over and still enjoy it.
All of them are favorites!
Of which I can/have perform(ed) "Shipwrecked"! Effect similar to the semi-familiar "Burglar's card trick" I learned in Jr High. Except this one is bigger and even...funny, for a card trick. Perform this for you're teens at your local Magic club--the effort might be worth it. Thanks Bill!
Glad Maxi twist got a mention. It's the one trick I get huge reactions from that isn't ambitious card. As a comedy based performer I don;t use any lines or laughs with this. It speaks of itself and if not rushed it's a stunning piece of magic.
Or even 'for itself' :)
I don't think I actually perform any of Bill's material, but his DVDs are one of the few sets that I'll occasionally watch just to be entertained.
I think the favorite Malone effect is Bill Malone himself!
Entertaining, funny, mystical and spontaneous!
You could buy the whole set and never do one trick, and feel that you received more than your money's worth, just to watch his style.
If you had to pick one favorite trick:

my vote is for Sam the Bellhop!
Sam the Bellhop is my favorite followed by Bill in Lemon...
Couple of my favorite Malone routines are Thinking Man’s Sponge Ball Routine and Hands Off Memory Test. The Hands Off Memory Test utilizes the stacked deck perfectly.