(Close Window)
Topic: What is the best coin effect out there?
Simple as this,

What is your favourite coin effect on the market today?

No arguments just opinions please that would be great

Thankyou
Alchemic Fantasy
My most magical, is coin vanishes or changes just waving your hand over it, immediately showing the hand empty...

Doug
Quantum bender
Two Copper/One Silver (with faux Chinese Coin) ala Doc Eason.

Julie
My Personal Favorites:
(A) Cylinder and Coins (Carney, but when Eric Mead finishes his book on Tim Conover then I'd like to add some of the finesse from studying Conover's routine)
(B) Dean Dill's "Explosion"
(C) Dean's Triangle
(D) Kenner's "SuperFly"
(E) Quantum Bender (although I don't really consider it a coin trick, but rather a strange thing that happens to utilize a convenient object which happens to be a coin)

All-Time Greatest:
Armando Lucero's "Coin Menagerie" and Dave Roth's "Shell Coins Across"

Best Strolling Workers:
Hopping Half, Scotch & Soda, and Lethal Tender

Coin Tricks I use the Most on a Daily Basis:
3-Fly and a One-Coin Routine
It's the one some stuff is said and that thing happens... and the audience goes.... "WHOA".
I am 99% positive it is in one of the Apocalypse issues. Look it up... when you find it PM me and I'll give you some updated tips on it.

;)
Hmm.

My top ten fav's (in no particular order)

1)Shake & Bake (Sankey) followed by 3 coins across (Roth - shell)
2) Cross Of India (Ammar)
3) Bent penny transposition (Ammar)
4) Flying eagles (Ammar)
5) 41 cent Miracle (Ammar)
6) Puncture
7) Bite-off Coin
8) Expansion Of Texture (Ammar)
9) Misdirection with coins and silk --> Bottle Production (David Stone - Real Secrets of Magic)
10) Matrix (Ammar or various others)

**you can find many of these on Ammar's Easy To Master Monry Miracles.**
My two favorite coin effects of all time are David Roth's Funnel and the effect of his with the little world globe, the name of which escapes me for the moment. Just wonderful constructions of mystifying and magical enchantment.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Oct 20, 2013 08:49PM)
Very hard to compare what is the best coin trick out there - too many variables, and too many variations. So, I will post what routines I saw that gave me the best sense of wonder. First, Al Goshman's salt shaker routine. That was the most magical thing I ever saw. Second, the first time I saw John Mendoza perform Spellbound back in the 70's. For a beginning coin magician, that was pure magic. Third, in terms of coin performance, watching Roth do The
Sleeve. Of my own routines, I find that the biggest sens of wonderment comes from doing the Coins Through Table.
Coins Through The Table and Al Schneider's classic Matrix.

Jim
Dean Dill--Coins, Silk and Glass. And his No Extras.

David Williamson--Floating Assembly

John Carney--Silver and Glass

Justin Miller-Neo Matrix
The Miser's Dream is the best, because it actually means something to people. It's meaning is universal, and doesn't depend on language, the color of the coins or even what's used for currency - nuts, shells or beads would all work fine, also credit cards. The point is, the magician can pluck currency from the air; make money out of nothing. Everyone who plays the lottery dreams about that all day long.

Coins going through something, changing into something, disappearing or moving around, or gathering under cards are all fine tricks, but if you could really do magic, you'd do the miser's dream.
Top three:

Lethal Tender
Matrix
Coins Across (Wilson's, with a few of my own touches added in)
I will follow the way Doc goes here as to all this...

The most magical coin effects I've ever seen is probably Sylvester The Jester's, Sylvester Pitch Routine, the most dynamic coin effect I've come across. Also, I have to mention Mickey Silver here and his remarkable coin routines using his brilliant SUV. Uncanny!

As to me, well there are so many great and greater routines out there but I like to do my "ReVisiTed," it just has a little of everything in it that I like to do as to an on-the-spot coin effect. :)
John Ramsay's Cylindeer and coins
Armando Lucero's Coin Menagery
David Roth's Tuning Fork
Paul Gertner's Coins to the spectator's hand (and Craig Petty's variant between two spectators' hands)
Al Schneider's Cross Cards
Goshman's Say please...the salt & pepper and coins...

Vallarino's Champagne act..that had coins and much more..

Both are available on video.

I do pieces only from them, putting them in the context of my own character.

Basic matrix....is not so basic..when done well.

Harris
[quote]
On 2013-10-21 05:05, charlie_d wrote:
The Miser's Dream is the best, because it actually means something to people. It's meaning is universal, and doesn't depend on language, the color of the coins or even what's used for currency - nuts, shells or beads would all work fine, also credit cards. The point is, the magician can pluck currency from the air; make money out of nothing. Everyone who plays the lottery dreams about that all day long.

Coins going through something, changing into something, disappearing or moving around, or gathering under cards are all fine tricks, but if you could really do magic, you'd do the miser's dream.
[/quote]

Well, of these "What is the best?" posts, THIS ONE caught my attention!

Everyone has contributed some great thinking! --perhaps a bit subjective, but nevertheless this thread has been worth reading!

I've been doing the MISERS DREAM since 1946. The routine has evolved over the years, getting ever stronger. For the past 40 years, it has been the next to closing for the high school audiences, and CLOSING for the elementary and primary groups. --For these younger groups, it is so strong, that I cannot follow it. (and the teenagers enjoy it, too.)

It evolved from the TARBELL routine. For a couple of teenage years, having learned the Downs P**m, I tried to be 'swayve & deboner". (Ha! at 19!?!) THAT didn't last! In a year or two, I realized that (as T. Nelson Downs had said, long ago) THE ENTERTAINMENT IS IN THE PRODUCTION OF COINS FROM THE SPECTATOR'S (in my case, for the most part, kids) EARS, NOSES, etc. --And, that's what I do, today!

"DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM" (is an old Latin proverb meaning: "Concerning tastes, we cannot argue". so, I aint gonna argue with youse guys. But, I'll stick to (maybe, I'm "stuck with" the Aerial Treasury as the best coin trick!

Hey Charlie_d! I guess it's you and me, "against them guys!" (HEE HEE)
I appreciate everybody's opinions as equally as the other but my favourite is still misers dream. Every effect on this thread is good and special in it's own way but misers dream is by far the closest to real magic out of all.

Keep the suggestions coming!
My favourite is one that blew ME away, when I first saw it,.
...and the second time,..
, and third time, as well.
And one that blows OTHERS away, when I do it.

Honestly,.. I haven´t seen so much,.
and I can do even LESS,..
but,
Marion Boykin´s Crimp Change.
,..nöö Gaffs. nööö Gimmicks.
Literally IN THE FACE,..
for ALL to see.

I play the Streets.
Everyday folks.
Every day.
This is easily my favourite,
..and theirs(!).

gallagher,..
shakin´ his hands in the wind.
(Thanks Marion.)
OK dan bastianelli!

Now, it's Charlie_d, THEE, and me!! --HEE HEE Maybe it'll be coin pails and IKE ## at thirty paces?
[quote]
On 2013-10-21 11:48, gallagher wrote:

but,
Literally IN THE FACE,..
for ALL to see.

I play the Streets.
Everyday folks.
Every day.
This is easily my favourite,
..and theirs(!).

gallagher,..
shakin´ his hands in the wind.
(Thanks Marion.)
[/quote]

WOW! It's great to be appreciated, to in some way to have contributed. Thanks so much g. In some small Emersonian way, perhaps this too is to have also somewhat succeeded. Thank you. :)
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 21, 2013 05:54PM)
There's a coin ladder that permits one coin to roll back up the thing - that usually gets quite a reaction.
[quote]
On 2013-10-21 11:48, gallagher wrote:
My favourite is...Marion Boykin´s Crimp Change...no Gaffs, no Gimmicks.
Literally IN THE FACE...for ALL to see.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree it's the best sleight I have learned in YEARS! I can do the Change (or Switch) with both hands! I purposely learned it that way. I kick myself for not learning the JW with both hands.

Regarding Coins Thru The table, yeah. If I am hooked up, so to speak, I like to do a one-handed finale with that last coin. The coin is placed on the table. A wave of the hand, it drops through. You're clean. Thank you Chuck Leach! ;)

Doug
Shadow Coins, it's kind of like the Sponge bunnies of coin magic. Always gets a great response.

SAMOYA by Rob Thompson. Requires a special Sun Moon set, but an excellent, visual routine.
Thanks Guys!!! The Retntion Vanish has to be angle proof to fool everyone everytime!!! I mean everytime 100% without fail!!!! My retention vanish is able to be performed with people in front of me as well as on both sides of me and people looking over both my shoulders!!!!! THIS IS WHAT I CALL A SUCESSFUL RETENTION VANISH!!!! Absolutely no fear of anyone burning my hands whatsoever, because I guarantee mysef not to ever get caught!!!!!!! I have yet to meet "ANYONE" who can stand beside me totally surrounded with me and do as I do without ever getting caught!!!!! There is a long story behind this!!!!!! ..and a very special secret!!!!!

Look very carefully at my
basic retention vanish >. Click > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9LP0q1rtco

"MICKEY SILVER"
Mickey I know this story LOL

vinny
Wonderful coin magic by Fred Kaps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAWGbiitsU

Facts about Fred Kaps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Kaps
[quote]On Oct 21, 2013, gallagher wrote:

but,
Literally IN THE FACE,..
for ALL to see.

I agree that this Crimp Change is outrageous. Plan to sit in your office or on your bed for about 5 hours and then you own this thing. It is also invaluable as a utility change that is never seen by the spectator. This is a phenomenal move.
TENKAI PENNIES......borrow the coins,no table...
Adding the following as BEST items ever for me. All can be seen on Google typing in the descriptions below:

1. MO FAUX by Todd Lassen. Brilliant and easy gaffed spellbound coin with Silver Dollar and Chinese coin with Hole n it!
2. URBAN COIN by MKS Magic Koins of France. Brilliant modern version of a hook coin without a hook.
3. Ringmaster by Martinka - Gold coin becomes a gold finger ring.
4. SAMOYA with a Todd Lassen Sun and moon set.
5. Everything ever made by Todd Lassen!
[quote]On Oct 31, 2013, taller8 wrote:
Shadow Coins, it's kind of like the Sponge bunnies of coin magic. Always gets a great response.
[/quote]
I agree. Shadow Coins even feels magical as heck to perform. Makes lay people rub their eyes in disbelief!
Same w/ coins thru table, which is one of my absolute favs of all time to watch or do. Prolly cuz at age 6 I saw a waiter put a coin thru our table and it blew my little mind to kingdom come. It's interesting that I see SO many guys doing coins across but not thru table.. You can totally adapt the moves..
There is a Shadow Coins taught as Chink A Chink by Tango for use with the TUC (Tango Ultimate Coin). This is the most awesome of all I've personally seen. It's actually on the Tangopedia website and DVD's you get with any tango purchase. The 1964 Kennedy and the Morgan versions in real silver are also very well crafted. The lesser current coins are not as well made.
Roth's The Tuning fork... has been one of my favorite effect since I first saw it.
I'm partial to Curtis Kam's The Goblet.
1. Nothing looks more astounding than Michael Eaton's "coin through glass table" found on his Drop'N DVD. If there was only one trick I could perform in my life, this would be the one I'd want. It appears you literally pick up the coin you've spun on the glass table top, and throw it through the glass to your hand below. I've accomplished it on a number of occasions, but it's tough, and when I chipped the surface of my wife's new kitchen table, the practicing came to a screeching halt.
2. The Spinning coin split, where you spin a coin on the table then with both hands "split" the coin into two coins.
3. The Strike change, penny to dime. Nice instant color change. Stand alone or followed up with producing the penny from the pen cap after.
Personally, I think the most entertaing piece of coin magic is misers dream, although I don't perform it. This is my favorite coin routine that I perform. It is quick and repeatable with the spectator knowing none the wiser.

https://youtu.be/yuuR7SB_gpU
Watching in person Mickey Silver perform Split Fly, and his usual routine with hand and mouth vanishes plus coins from ear to ear.
No one does it better.

Larry
Whilst I have a few favourite coin routines and I'm a big fan of coins across/3fly type routines I've recently added JJ's Coin Coalition to my working repertoire with an added kicker that has been getting great reactions so I'll nominate that as it's actually made it to my working set.
To be honest, I've been performing few coin routines on the street, muscle pass always get the biggest reaction
Great post even tho some of them are 5 years old. 👍
Look There is no BEST coin Effect!!!
Best for who?
When???
And where???
You have to think of All This!
I'm pretty obsessed with coins through table. It may have been the first coin trick I ever saw as a kid and I think it left a big impression on me. Performing it just feels good. As far as effects on the market hopping half would be my number one favorite of all time..
( the original post basically just asks what's your favorite to perform)
Copper and silver in the spectator's hand.
Stack of quarters.
I have just finished documenting "the best" coin effect that I call China Spice.

It is a multiphase routine with progressively more incredible results using:
my most deceptive sleights, psychological ploys, engaging story, spectator participation techniques and guile.

Next year I may have a better "best." For me it means the best I can achieve right now.

It is better than last years "best"

I can't perform it "so good" though because of crippled hands, so it will never be anyone else's choice for best.
Hay Tyler I has 14 handleings For coins through the table in my 1 St. hardbound! :)
Coins across and all it's wonderful variations has to be my favourite coin trick although I hate to say the best as that's very subjective.
Honestly my favorite coin effect is Two in the hand, one in the pocket. There are a fair amount of people who have seen it before now, thanks youtube :( ,but it leaves you clean at the end and engages/entertains the spectator the whole time. It is also a great trick to follow up most 3-Fly variations to have a clean ending.

I am also a huge fan of the wither vanish :) the back and forth the spectators go through trying to figure out what happened is so satisfying.
Most of my favorite routines have already been mentioned. However, one that I don't think has been mentioned, but one that I get some of my biggest reactions to, is Wild Coin. I just use David Roth's version. It's got a simple beginning, a great build up and a wild finish.
Luis Pedrahita's coins and sponge routine. It showed me how you can still use the same coins and gimmick, but with a few added simple sleights and displays, it is magic -- even for magicians.

I also want to mention MB's the crimp change. So many could benefit from a clean display. Recently someone talked about appearing on tv etc. I appreciate this king of coin magic. But we are in a new era now. You need some clean looking displays like MB's to show your hands empty. The days of holding out coins for almost the whole routine in a F. palm without suspicion are over. I would like to call this using the "Monkey Palm" (using the F. Palm throughout almost a whole routine without using clean "empty" displays). There are many other moves like MB's but I am using that as an example. Not hand washing, which is better done with water. Clean displays while hiding out, not holding out. Most of them are not so great. But if you test moves out enough you will find some very clean "empty" displays for your routines. these things are what I would call essential for miracles, not mere sleight of hand puzzles.
There ain't no bests but I have some favorites; a handful in no particular order:

S.C.A.T. by Greg Eanes
Swirl Assembly and Backfire by Dean Dill
Standing Three Eagles by Larry Jennings
David Roth's Coins Across (shell version)
Captain Hook by Mike Powers
The Mysterious Cross of India by Daryl
It's Just an Illusion by Bill Citino
Coin Alchemy (marketed item)
Murder on the Aztec Orient Express by John Bannon

And ...

EVERYTHING Marion Boykin has EVER shown me.
Here are some favorites
Cylinder and coins
Famous 3 coin trick - dbrewer
Purse and glass
Coins across

I’m partial to tricks that are impromptu in nature
99 cent trick -gwilson
Coin thru table
Tenkai pennies
No extras
2 in the hand...
[quote]On Mar 23, 2018, tyler_rabbit wrote:
I'm pretty obsessed with coins through table. It may have been the first coin trick I ever saw as a kid and I think it left a big impression on me. Performing it just feels good. As far as effects on the market hopping half would be my number one favorite of all time..
( the original post basically just asks what's your favorite to perform) [/quote]

I love the coin through glass table from the Drop'n Project by Michael Eaton. Best I've ever seen.
Strike Change by Dan Hauss is a quick impromptu piece of visual candy using a coin and penny.
Coin through Glass table by Michael Eaton in the Drop'N Project is jaw dropping.
Anything by Ponta The Smith looks so smooth and flowing.
Folks, nothing and I mean nothing......beats pulling a coin out of a kids ear.
[quote]On Feb 10, 2019, Zauberman wrote:
Folks, nothing and I mean nothing......beats pulling a coin out of a kids ear. [/quote]

I might agree if you can find a kid's ear without an electronic device stuck in it. ;)
[quote]On Feb 10, 2019, Zauberman wrote:
Folks, nothing and I mean nothing......beats pulling a coin out of a kids ear. [/quote]

I might have to agree as well. 😊

I have done it many, many times as I once worked a job that allowed me to do it to children accompanied by their parents as they entered. This would happily happen daily and the parents would enjoy it just as much as the kids.😁 After a while, the little pluck of the coin from the ear sometimes became an even more sorta “peeling” of the coin, ithat looked even more realistic especially to others watching, like it was completely coming right out the ear. 😁 And when I would mix in my Quick Pitch, I could instantly pull another coin from the child’s ear or from their little sister or brother, that would eagerly be awaiting their turn.😁 Actually, I found that it was always the second coin that was even more amazing to produce, as usually not only was it a different coin, even larger/ seemingly even more impossible, but people saw that my hand was completely empty after the surprise of the first coin. It really is a point of even higher amazement, not just for the child but for everyone watching, 😊👍🏽

So yep, there’s a lot of magic in that little on-the-spot coin trick alright. 😉
Sometimes the simple ones ARE the best.

Next time you find yourself with a coin and a pen, and this is even more effective in short sleeves for some reason, do the old warhorse where you tap the back of your hand once; twice; and then on the third tap the pen is gone. Then you show them this was just a gag, reveal where the pen went, and then the coin really vanishes.

Beyond simple, but you will get a lot of laughs and a lot of "What the ...?"
[quote]On Feb 11, 2019, JoeHohman wrote:
Sometimes the simple ones ARE the best.

Next time you find yourself with a coin and a pen, and this is even more effective in short sleeves for some reason, do the old warhorse where you tap the back of your hand once; twice; and then on the third tap the pen is gone. Then you show them this was just a gag, reveal where the pen went, and then the coin really vanishes.

Beyond simple, but you will get a lot of laughs and a lot of "What the ...?" [/quote]

Yes.
This is one that elicits some fun audience responses.
Yes, pulling a Coin out of a kids ear is definitely hard to beat.

As Marion suggested, doing a Sylvester or quick pitch allows you to continually pull coins out of their ears. It's what I do to, often ending with a jumbo.

Eerie (pun intended :-) )

As for Coin & Pen as JoeHohman suggests.....yep, the pen vanishing, reappearance, coin now gone, pen now gone..I agree simple & "gets lots of laughs"

I posted this before, but for those interested, my Coin & Pen routine :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM9HCdYCsL4

[quote]On Mar 23, 2018, David Neighbors wrote:
Look There is no BEST coin Effect!!!
Best for who?
When???
And where???
You have to think of All This! [/quote]

You've said it best of all, David
The Coin in Bottle is awfully strong magic:

[youtube]HAOQyfgqZMY[/youtube]
Hay Thanks Dick ! :)
[quote]On Feb 12, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
The Coin in Bottle is awfully strong magic:

[youtube]HAOQyfgqZMY[/youtube] [/quote]

I'm not saying 'best', but this is great on many levels e.g. easy to follow, easy to describe in a sentence, in the spec's hands... (and Pop's a great performer of course.. :-))
Pop, rocks.
"good" and Best" are always relative, though I agree with the potential of Coin in Bottle in the right hands.

I first saw this trick at a magic convention in 1959 where it was offered as a quick novelty stunt. I was impressed with the audience reaction and desired one.
But, I had spent all of my money just getting there and the merchants were sold out anyway. Tom at Golden Gate showed me the fine workings with an offer to sell me one on time payments.
He was one of the few selling tricks in magazines and I was a "customer."

Instead, I saved up and had a local jeweler make me one for $18.00 from a silver half. He took it as a challenge for his new micro-saw. It worked just fine.
The trouble is that in those days in Reno, everyone carries silver dollars and halves were pretty rare. So, when I performed many wanted me to do the trick with an offered silver dollar.
Thus, powerful as this trick can be, it was a "poor choice" in that time and setting. My hands were too small to palm silver dollars anyway.

Today, any coin larger than a quarter is unusual for an audience. For me, much of the impromptu and 'natural' appeal is gone.

"Best coin effect" is not "out there" - it is the one your next spectator will remember for 30 years. I hope you are prepared and choose the right one "on the fly."

I would go and see Pop perform no matter what he does. "Best" of a different sort.
Whilst there is no best I do have some favourites some of which are :

Elbow,Knee & Neck
Coin Flurry in to Copper/Silver Transpo
Shell Coins Across
Mr Clean Coin's Across
Bag 4 Life
JJ's Coin Coalition

I could go on but all of these have proved to be very strong workers for me, one thing all these routines have in common is none of them require a table and most are either instant reset or involve a very quick reset.
Johnny Carson was doing a simple French drop for a young boy that was on his show. When the boy asked "how do you make it really disappear?", Johnny, with out missing a beat, said "get married"
A couple of favorites:

Misbehavin
Roth's coins across (final into the spec's hand)
JJ's Casino Chip
Brewer's Transporter
Tim Conover's sockless coins
Roth's Okito Box routine out, in, out
Pop

You may find this interesting:

http://www.worldmagiccenter.com/SecretStuff/Coininbottle.mp4
A nice take on getting the coin out of the bottle, from the end where it went in, instead of the usual out the neck.
[quote]On Feb 19, 2019, Al Schneider wrote:
Pop

You may find this interesting:

http://www.worldmagiccenter.com/SecretStuff/Coininbottle.mp4 [/quote]

Very nice! Thanks. Great ending.
The sound effect of the ending 'slap move' is an added plus. A "Sound" idea!

I'm even going to add that to my C&B as a penetration to my hand, combining a Utility move and Inertia extraction.
Could work with an Okito Box too.

These won't match the visual appearance of the coin under the bottle, but will add a bit of enjoyment to many presentations.

Many thanks to Al -- Pop for stimulating his contribution.
I think the best coin effect out there is whatever one you are most comfortable performing. Sure there are effects that get great reactions but from my experience, the best reaction typically comes from what I am most comfortable with. I think to be able to relax and enjoy the effect you are performing adds to the audience's feelings.
My favorites are:

1) Three Fly
2) Coins through the table
3) Simple four coin hand to hand
4) Copper Silver transposition
5) Repeating 50 cents (with the best slight, for dropping a coin and passing one up)
6) Any version of midis dream, gimmicked bucket or not
5) Repeating 50 cents (with the best slight, for dropping a coin and passing one up)

Share what you're doing here with us?
Anyone have a video of this or instructions I can purchase? Thank you!
[quote]On Mar 15, 2019, StarManager wrote:
Anyone have a video of this or instructions I can purchase? Thank you! [/quote]

You can accomplish the same results with better, more visible moves.

The left palm shown completely empty. The coin dropped and visible on left palm with right hand shown empty.
Coin to pocket, new coin snatched from air and repeat. This is an expansion of one part of a Misers Dream routine from a 1932 manuscript (fairly old).

any "best" handling should also have the best acquitments to support the strong magic. (opinion)

Write me as indicated in the sig line for details.
[quote]On Mar 15, 2019, Ray Haining wrote:
Isn't this basically the Sylvester Pitch? [/quote]

Y'know, this "Repeating 50 cents" trick does seem similar to the Sylvester Pitch, but just seemingly not as smooth. deceptive or versatile. The sorta choppiness of it (as described in the action here to make it happen) reminds me of something I once saw Chris Capehart do on his Misers Dream DVD, maybe called something like, "Continuing Coins(?)."
Marion, your post will probably be deleted because my post was deleted and so was baronborrelli's response. So I'll ask baronborrelli another question: Since you got this effect from written instructions, what was the name of the trick those instructions were for?
Breakthrough by Johannes Mengel and Sinful by Wayne Houchin are my favorites coz they're both impromptu coin in can tricks :)
Got my Coin to Can (CTC) from Murphy's today. OMG! This is the hands down best of the best for me.
The Mark (John Murray)
Any coin matrix by Ponta the Smith or Mott Sun.
Often an old out of fashion coin trick can be revamped to shock innocent bystanders. I do the cig through quarter with the right size pen, instead of a cig. The key is having a smooth switch.
It is like real magic to the spectators.
[quote]On Mar 29, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Often an old out of fashion coin trick can be revamped to shock innocent bystanders. I do the cig through quarter with the right size pen, instead of a cig. The key is having a smooth switch.
It is like real magic to the spectators. [/quote]

I agree and the quarter is way better than the half for the spectator's belief that this is REAL or impossible, depending on how you sell it. I haven't left the house without this in my pocket for 40 years . . .
[quote]On Mar 31, 2019, StarManager wrote:

that this is REAL or impossible [/quote]

Understand what you are saying and mostly agree ...
somehow not liking the "or"

The observation of a magic effect is a "real experience" and their memory of the event just as real as any other.
I never present anything as being "impossible," just things they believe to be impossible for them.
Thus, "REAL and impossible" leads to astonishment and sometimes "must be magic."

When coin effects are presented as puzzles or skill demonstration both "real" and "impossible" take on a pastel hue.

If by "real" you mean common, familiar or natural, then certainly such objects allow for less suspicion and more "warm fuzzies" with no need of resolution.

However, with so many today having beliefs based on vicarious experience rather than "real ones," it is hard to judge what they might consider to be a real experience,
or even impossible. Perhaps a performer for an unknown crowd must focus on either 'real' or 'impossible'. Sad if true.

I have experimented some with performing behind a TV like frame for some effects, and open and 'naked' for others.
The difference in using misdirection and psychological ploys is apparent - as is the noticed response level for the same effect.

My guess based on limited testing is that those accustomed to viewing the world on a small screen
are less able to handle distractions in a live performance. Does this mean the more limited view is "more real" for them? I don't know.
[quote]On Apr 1, 2019, funsway wrote:
[quote]On Mar 31, 2019, StarManager wrote:

that this is REAL or impossible [/quote]

Understand what you are saying and mostly agree ...
somehow not liking the "or"

The observation of a magic effect is a "real experience" and their memory of the event just as real as any other.
I never present anything as being "impossible," just things they believe to be impossible for them.
Thus, "REAL and impossible" leads to astonishment and sometimes "must be magic."

When coin effects are presented as puzzles or skill demonstration both "real" and "impossible" take on a pastel hue.

If by "real" you mean common, familiar or natural, then certainly such objects allow for less suspicion and more "warm fuzzies" with no need of resolution.

However, with so many today having beliefs based on vicarious experience rather than "real ones," it is hard to judge what they might consider to be a real experience,
or even impossible. Perhaps a performer for an unknown crowd must focus on either 'real' or 'impossible'. Sad if true.

I have experimented some with performing behind a TV like frame for some effects, and open and 'naked' for others.
The difference in using misdirection and psychological ploys is apparent - as is the noticed response level for the same effect.

My guess based on limited testing is that those accustomed to viewing the world on a small screen
are less able to handle distractions in a live performance. Does this mean the more limited view is "more real" for them? I don't know. [/quote]

[youtube]HAOQyfgqZMY[/youtube] [/quote]

Magic is magic. The impossible is the impossible. It is our everyday experience of reality that is being challenged. Coins don't go into bottles. Everyone knows that.
Pop is a GOD! That is so clear, human, direct and fun. Lovely!
Yesssireeee, just a mighty fine demonstration, I must admit...This classic example of "Less is More" is easy to follow and enjoy...Just a real good piece of magic! :D
Especially love the cleanup leaving the half and bottle on the table right after the pop out. So direct and clean. Reinforces the maxim that sometimes you should just DO IT and skip all the "art" . . .
[quote]On Apr 2, 2019, StarManager wrote:
Especially love the cleanup leaving the half and bottle on the table right after the pop out. So direct and clean. Reinforces the maxim that sometimes you should just DO IT and skip all the "art" . . . [/quote]

:) Well, I wouldn't say I "skipped all the art."

Art is also found in what is not left out.

Magic is the message.
Pop - I did NOT mean it that way. I meant that your natural and normal movements as opposed to the "magi flourishes" of others make this extremely deceiving because the art is concealed as nature -- not because it is artless. To the contrary! Please note in my defense that I opened with a statement that you were (and are) a GOD! With MUCH respect Pop!

JT
Hi Pop, the great thing about your coin in a bottle: it looks the same as if it were real magic.
It LOOKS SLEIGHTLESS, direct and simple. LIKE REAL MAGIC. KUDOS TO YOU. GOD BLESS.
It's innocently artistic!
IVanish by Ben Seidman is also pretty good
Metal by Eric Jones is the best coin magic dvd
I just love Imagination coins - G. Tomas.
Thanks I needed the reminder to try the whole imagination coins routine.
[quote]On Apr 27, 2019, OzTheMentalist wrote:
Metal by Eric Jones is the best coin magic dvd [/quote]

Based on what criteria?
What other coin magic DVDs that you've viewed are you using for comparison?
Coin through table and winged silver are my two favorites.
Coin to fake roach. reactions are wild
Close up:
Cigarette through Half Dollar

For many magicians:
Mickey Silver's manipulations

For kids:
Chris Capehart's Miser's Dream

Remember, it is not just the trick itself. It is how well it is presented.