(Close Window)
Topic: Ringja by Nie Te & Magic Soul
Message: Posted by: Hondo (Oct 21, 2013 02:08PM)
Hello everyone,
We just released a new awesome DVD- Ringja.
And you can buy it in most magic stores now!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRu4XGTFfPg

EXchange Ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXW-OxFNOPQ

We also got good quotes:
"Leave it to a ninja, to add something to your magic arsenal. Visual, Fun, and Challenging for all skill levels. Master the way of the Ringja and they will never see you coming!" - Garrett Thomas

"This DVD contains all essences of ring magic. There are many innovative concepts and every idea is practical. I think it will open up new possibilities for ring magic." - Ponta the Smith

Hope you enjoy it.

Hondo
Message: Posted by: MagicBrent (Oct 21, 2013 04:46PM)
I thought the trailer was too choppy...can't see the moves smoothly...
Message: Posted by: Hondo (Oct 22, 2013 05:27AM)
[quote]
On 2013-10-21 17:46, MagicBrent wrote:
I thought the trailer was too choppy...can't see the moves smoothly...
[/quote]
Hello,
You can watch the original clip which Nie Te sent to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2xY6flnIVQ
Message: Posted by: ryoma4148 (Oct 24, 2013 04:11AM)
I owe you and especially Nie Te an apology. I'm sorry I reacted too fast, I should have contacted you directly first. I reported my earlier post so it can be removed (hopefully that'd be quick).

Issue has been discussed and it is clear we have a genuine case of independent creation, and there are more differences than similarities in the end.
I'd like to give all my respects to MagicSoul and Nie Te who put out a great product, impromptu ring magic is awesome.

And I'll add that Nie Te is pretty skilled and has some neat ideas... the best material isn't shown in the trailer imo ;)

So congratulations for Ringja! おめでとうございます、指輪を操る忍び。
Message: Posted by: Nie Te (Oct 25, 2013 04:29AM)
[quote]
On 2013-10-24 05:11, ryoma4148 wrote:
I owe you and especially Nie Te an apology. I'm sorry I reacted too fast, I should have contacted you directly first. I reported my earlier post so it can be removed (hopefully that'd be quick).

Issue has been discussed and it is clear we have a genuine case of independent creation, and there are more differences than similarities in the end.
I'd like to give all my respects to MagicSoul and Nie Te who put out a great product, impromptu ring magic is awesome.

And I'll add that Nie Te is pretty skilled and has some neat ideas... the best material isn't shown in the trailer imo ;)

So congratulations for Ringja! おめでとうございます、指輪を操る忍び。
[/quote]
Hi, how are you?^^ I am Nie Te. Nice to meet you. Forget all the misunderstand wish we can enjoy our ring magic. When we publish something it become history and our names are on that forever do everything in our power to make it perfect and come true. Thanks for you like my video. Ringja(Ninja)~My friend ^_^
Message: Posted by: Hondo (Oct 30, 2013 08:56AM)
Hi guys,
Ringja!!
WPR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Ax5Bdy4sqw#t=384

Hondo
Message: Posted by: Peo Olsson (Oct 30, 2013 10:41AM)
I was blown away by Ringja. Craig and David gave it worker of the week with 98% and 96%.
Penguin is Selling Ringja

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=ringja
Message: Posted by: ryoma4148 (Oct 30, 2013 11:58AM)
I've finished watching the dvd and since there is a criminal lack of posts in this thread I thought an in-depth review might start more discussion, hopefully. This DVD is totally worth it.


OVERALL THOUGHTS

The DVD has clear instructions, no need to go back in the video, you will get the move during the first viewing (doing it at the right speed will be something else, though, you'll have to put practice into mastering these stunts ;) )

I think everyone who liked Ringmaster should love this dvd because it has new enhanced moves, and better teaching. And Unless you're allergic to ninjas you should like the general feel of this release.


If I were to describe what Ringja is in one sentence, that would be "Ringmaster on steroids meets feudal Japan" :)



CONTENTS

Ring selection : Nie Te goes over which type of rings are recommended for his tricks (if you worked on Ringmaster by David Jay you should be fairly equipped already, they both recommend the same sizing).


I] Tricks

there are 1 flourish and 9 tricks explained in this dvd, I will give a brief description of each

00. Turning Ring

This is the classic ring roll move (aka "Monkey's Bar" in Greg Wilson - Ringleader, or "Gryphon Roll" in De'Ring), explanations are clear although there isn't much to know about this move, just practice practice practice ;)


01. Instant

This is Nie Te's basic ring on technique, with a few tips to make it look very natural. Main differences with Johnny Ace Palmer's ring on (as performed in De'ring) is the finger (index finger), and the general presentation of it (Nie Te's hiding the ring on in plain sight, with natural motion so the ring on looks more magical)


02. Instant ver 2

To contrast with the basic technique, this chapter shows a bunch of flashy ring ons, on multiple fingers (index/middle/ring), with some presentation tips and subtleties for a flawless aerial ring on.
His table ring on is also very fast and will catch off-guard magicians who know De'ring ;)


03. Penetration Ring

Now the fundamental ring on sleight is covered, it's time to move on to magical effects :)
Here it is basically an ungimmicked version of banded/mercuring type of effect, with the ring pulled through the ring finger to the pinky, then out of the hand.

04. Swift Ring

This is a "no cheat" handling of "the ring thing", can't say more, those who know ring thing will understand :P
Peformance includes a little routine using swift ring as a continuation of the ring thing, original ring thing moves aren't taught though.


05. Ninja Shift

Just as you turn your wrist, the ring is transferred from the index to the ring finger. While this is good in its own, I feel that it is overshadowed by the next 2 chapters who are superior versions of the "ring jump" plot.


06. Nie Te's Shift

Nie Te says "this effect is the most impromptu and impressive one of this DVD" (note: they are all impromptu, don't get it wrong :P), and indeed it's impressive :)

This is a closed fist ring jump, from index to middle then middle to ring, then index to ring directly. Each time the ring appears on a different finger with just a shake of the hand. The last transfer is taught with a little sneaky work, but very naturally handled as usual.

Forget about Circuit, THIS is a magical ring jump!


07. Nie Te's Shift 2.0

This is the "hardcore" handling for the last transfer from the previous chapter, directly from index to ring finger, with just one swinging motion of the forearm and no perceptible motion of the hand and no sneaky work this time. This is VERY good. His handling is just AMAZING, so clean. It takes practice but I think it really adds something to the Nie Te's Shift.
You do something that looks magical, and where's the secret? There's none, you genuinely did the impossible!


08. EXChange Ring

The effect is one of the most impressive plot in the DVD (people who know me know I love that plot, and laymen do as well, always gets amazing reactions :P). One ring resting on the palm of the hand, another ring put on the finger, switch place in one swinging motion. It's fast and great looking.

09. Phantom Ring

While phantom ring has a great plot (2 rings, one on the index finger, another one on the ring finger, swap places by shaking motion), I find the execution is a bit lacking... the swinging motion is a bit too long to my taste (I counted about 10 back and forth swings in total). However, this is definitely an idea that I will work on in the future, I like it very much. I see definite room for improvement in it :) And there is no doubt Nie Te will surprise us with an improved handling in the future.


And this ends the tricks section, now it's time for routines examples and more :)


II] Routines

01. Ringja

Ringja is Nie Te's own "ringmaster" routine. It contains most aforementioned tricks as well as one move from David Jay, nicely constructed as a routine that constantly overthrows expectations of the audience.
After the live performance, Nie Te goes over the routine twice so you don't miss any detail :)

02. Alchemy

This is a very nice spellbound routine! Revisiting the sleights with a new focus this time (and a greaat variation on ring exchange, I love it).
Once again the explanations are clear and if you spent the required amount of practice into the "tricks" section it shouldn't take you much time to master this routine.


III] Bonus


01. Necklace Ring

A take on a classic ring&string move but with a new presentation, and a killer climax... I think Justin Miller had a similar move in his aborted "Circle" project. Nie Te has his own subtleties of course, and managed to put together a cool sequence :)


02. Ninja Restoration

This is a TnR card plot, I'm not really familiar with this plot handling so I can't really compare with other methods out there, but it doesn't seem too hard to do and you can give the card to examination mid-point during the restore! Nice touch.



CONCLUSION

This is a great DVD, highly recommended for anyone who worked on Ringmaster before, and also recommended to beginners in ring magic... there isn't really any prerequisite, and it's filled with great looking moves, and you get to see live reactions to that magic, laymen love ring magic :)
It's also very cool to see there is a general theme all through the dvd, makes a nice addition.

Beware not to break a finger or two in the process of learning that stuff ;) j/k

WPR gave it a "worker of the week" award and it's well deserved. Congratulations guys
Message: Posted by: PendletonThe3rd (Oct 30, 2013 12:37PM)
Thanks for the play by play review Ryoma. Definitely have my eye on this one now.

I've enjoyed the recent Circuit release and Justin Millers Divorce routine and love the very impromptu/organic nature of these types of effects. This looks like it amps it up a bit on the difficulty but I don't mind a challenge!

Thanks again.
Message: Posted by: joseph (Oct 30, 2013 02:16PM)
Very [url=http://www.my-magicshop.com/de-ring-dvd-by-de-vo.html]Devo[/url] ish ...
Message: Posted by: Blindside785 (Oct 30, 2013 02:41PM)
[quote]
On 2013-10-30 15:16, joseph wrote:
Very [url=http://www.my-magicshop.com/de-ring-dvd-by-de-vo.html]Devo[/url] ish ...
[/quote]Well yes, impromptu ring magic has gone a long way since then. Not for me, but you movey monkeys go for it!
Message: Posted by: ryoma4148 (Oct 30, 2013 03:40PM)
[quote]
On 2013-10-30 15:16, joseph wrote:
Very [url=http://www.my-magicshop.com/de-ring-dvd-by-de-vo.html]Devo[/url] ish ...
[/quote]

Although they are both ring magic dvds I wouldn't say it's Devoish... De'ring was half 'presentations ideas for Johnny Ace Palmer's ring on', and half 'bobo coin magic' with rings... and a weird renaming of a classic move ("gryphon roll", invented by underground manipulator "gryphon" ?! yeah right..). It really looks like the guy had trouble filling a dvd worth of ring moves yet acts like he does everything imaginable :(

Nie Te is the opposite, a dvd filled with ring ideas and giving an overall impression that there is so much more that could be done (he actually says it himself at some point in the dvd).

That being said, there still are elements of De'ring that I find better (showing spectators the ring is tight, for example, which really enhances reactions).

I'll say it again, handling-wise, Nie Te's work is much closer to David Jay's Ringmaster than any other ring dvd on the market :)


You're welcome Pendleton ;) Yea Divorce was great! That ring through pinky... but I won't comment again on circuit lol.
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Oct 30, 2013 05:03PM)
Penguin has Ringja

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S16043

It received WORKER OF THE WEEK by Dave and Craig!

<

Message: Posted by: Peo Olsson (Oct 30, 2013 07:35PM)
Is there an echo in here?
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Oct 31, 2013 12:48AM)
Does it come with rings? If not what would smoke people recommend.
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Oct 31, 2013 10:18AM)
No smoke*
Message: Posted by: MR Effecto (Oct 31, 2013 01:28PM)
I will have this in a few days. Looks really good if you love ring magic. I do a few effects with rings. Cant wait to add some of these.
Message: Posted by: Nie Te (Nov 3, 2013 08:39AM)
[quote]
On 2013-10-30 12:58, ryoma4148 wrote:
I've finished watching the dvd and since there is a criminal lack of posts in this thread I thought an in-depth review might start more discussion, hopefully. This DVD is totally worth it.


OVERALL THOUGHTS

The DVD has clear instructions, no need to go back in the video, you will get the move during the first viewing (doing it at the right speed will be something else, though, you'll have to put practice into mastering these stunts ;) )

I think everyone who liked Ringmaster should love this dvd because it has new enhanced moves, and better teaching. And Unless you're allergic to ninjas you should like the general feel of this release.


If I were to describe what Ringja is in one sentence, that would be "Ringmaster on steroids meets feudal Japan" :)



CONTENTS

Ring selection : Nie Te goes over which type of rings are recommended for his tricks (if you worked on Ringmaster by David Jay you should be fairly equipped already, they both recommend the same sizing).


I] Tricks

there are 1 flourish and 9 tricks explained in this dvd, I will give a brief description of each

00. Turning Ring

This is the classic ring roll move (aka "Monkey's Bar" in Greg Wilson - Ringleader, or "Gryphon Roll" in De'Ring), explanations are clear although there isn't much to know about this move, just practice practice practice ;)


01. Instant

This is Nie Te's basic ring on technique, with a few tips to make it look very natural. Main differences with Johnny Ace Palmer's ring on (as performed in De'ring) is the finger (index finger), and the general presentation of it (Nie Te's hiding the ring on in plain sight, with natural motion so the ring on looks more magical)


02. Instant ver 2

To contrast with the basic technique, this chapter shows a bunch of flashy ring ons, on multiple fingers (index/middle/ring), with some presentation tips and subtleties for a flawless aerial ring on.
His table ring on is also very fast and will catch off-guard magicians who know De'ring ;)


03. Penetration Ring

Now the fundamental ring on sleight is covered, it's time to move on to magical effects :)
Here it is basically an ungimmicked version of banded/mercuring type of effect, with the ring pulled through the ring finger to the pinky, then out of the hand.

04. Swift Ring

This is a "no cheat" handling of "the ring thing", can't say more, those who know ring thing will understand :P
Peformance includes a little routine using swift ring as a continuation of the ring thing, original ring thing moves aren't taught though.


05. Ninja Shift

Just as you turn your wrist, the ring is transferred from the index to the ring finger. While this is good in its own, I feel that it is overshadowed by the next 2 chapters who are superior versions of the "ring jump" plot.


06. Nie Te's Shift

Nie Te says "this effect is the most impromptu and impressive one of this DVD" (note: they are all impromptu, don't get it wrong :P), and indeed it's impressive :)

This is a closed fist ring jump, from index to middle then middle to ring, then index to ring directly. Each time the ring appears on a different finger with just a shake of the hand. The last transfer is taught with a little sneaky work, but very naturally handled as usual.

Forget about Circuit, THIS is a magical ring jump!


07. Nie Te's Shift 2.0

This is the "hardcore" handling for the last transfer from the previous chapter, directly from index to ring finger, with just one swinging motion of the forearm and no perceptible motion of the hand and no sneaky work this time. This is VERY good. His handling is just AMAZING, so clean. It takes practice but I think it really adds something to the Nie Te's Shift.
You do something that looks magical, and where's the secret? There's none, you genuinely did the impossible!


08. EXChange Ring

The effect is one of the most impressive plot in the DVD (people who know me know I love that plot, and laymen do as well, always gets amazing reactions :P). One ring resting on the palm of the hand, another ring put on the finger, switch place in one swinging motion. It's fast and great looking.

09. Phantom Ring

While phantom ring has a great plot (2 rings, one on the index finger, another one on the ring finger, swap places by shaking motion), I find the execution is a bit lacking... the swinging motion is a bit too long to my taste (I counted about 10 back and forth swings in total). However, this is definitely an idea that I will work on in the future, I like it very much. I see definite room for improvement in it :) And there is no doubt Nie Te will surprise us with an improved handling in the future.


And this ends the tricks section, now it's time for routines examples and more :)


II] Routines

01. Ringja

Ringja is Nie Te's own "ringmaster" routine. It contains most aforementioned tricks as well as one move from David Jay, nicely constructed as a routine that constantly overthrows expectations of the audience.
After the live performance, Nie Te goes over the routine twice so you don't miss any detail :)

02. Alchemy

This is a very nice spellbound routine! Revisiting the sleights with a new focus this time (and a greaat variation on ring exchange, I love it).
Once again the explanations are clear and if you spent the required amount of practice into the "tricks" section it shouldn't take you much time to master this routine.


III] Bonus


01. Necklace Ring

A take on a classic ring&string move but with a new presentation, and a killer climax... I think Justin Miller had a similar move in his aborted "Circle" project. Nie Te has his own subtleties of course, and managed to put together a cool sequence :)


02. Ninja Restoration

This is a TnR card plot, I'm not really familiar with this plot handling so I can't really compare with other methods out there, but it doesn't seem too hard to do and you can give the card to examination mid-point during the restore! Nice touch.



CONCLUSION

This is a great DVD, highly recommended for anyone who worked on Ringmaster before, and also recommended to beginners in ring magic... there isn't really any prerequisite, and it's filled with great looking moves, and you get to see live reactions to that magic, laymen love ring magic :)
It's also very cool to see there is a general theme all through the dvd, makes a nice addition.

Beware not to break a finger or two in the process of learning that stuff ;) j/k

WPR gave it a "worker of the week" award and it's well deserved. Congratulations guys

[/quote]

THANK you very much for your detailing comments and instructions.Thanks again. Can't wait to see your DVD.
Message: Posted by: Havens (Nov 3, 2013 01:28PM)
I LOVE this DVD!!
Message: Posted by: Nie Te (Nov 4, 2013 01:28AM)
[quote]
On 2013-11-03 14:28, Havens wrote:
I LOVE this DVD!!
[/quote]
Thank for your love my dvd ^^ Ringja,my Friend^^
Message: Posted by: Nie Te (Nov 10, 2013 11:41PM)
[quote]
On 2013-10-31 14:28, MR Effecto wrote:
I will have this in a few days. Looks really good if you love ring magic. I do a few effects with rings. Cant wait to add some of these.
[/quote]
Thanks Your favorite is my great honor^^
Message: Posted by: Havens (Nov 11, 2013 10:17AM)
I have to say I was fascinated by this DVD. Ring magic appeals to me as it's so simple but there's clearly a lot of skill involved and it feels so much more impromptu than card or even coin magic.

Everything is taught so clearly and so well that there's barely the need for subtitles, though these do add some great tips to speed up your learning. Everything's explained and broken down, using multiple camera angles, as well as close-ups and little diagrammatic overlays, so you can be sure of the moves taking place. Nothing feels cheap and the creators should be really proud of what they've achieved. Once you get the hang of the effects on this DVD it looks like real magic and the people I've performed to so far are either completely amazed or they're convinced it's a gimmick or that I have two rings. If they do think it's a gimmick then there's nothing like giving them the ring to examine, or even better using their ring.

If you buy this DVD be prepared to practice, Nie Te makes it look easy - this is his brilliance, but with some dedication you will too, just be prepared to fling your ring across the room while you get to grips with the moves.

A great product and combined with other ring effects this is going straight in my walk around set.
Message: Posted by: fcchief1 (Nov 12, 2013 09:56PM)
I know which size ring he recommends, since I have the DVD but how do you ensure it is the correct weight? Any recommendations on any sites that sell similar rings which he uses and will be consistent with his recommendations???? Thanks and a great DVD, just watching it is fun!!!!
Message: Posted by: MeHitDrum (Nov 13, 2013 01:17AM)
Aloha fccheif1,
I had the same question when I purchased Ringmaster. I believe Nie Te recommends a ring that weighs at least 8 grams.
Personally, I found that a heavier ring works best. I use only one ring for all my routines that involve a ring. Its black, which shows up better, and is made of Tungsten Heavy Alloy Composite. I find it perfect for my Ring & String routine, Ring Thing/Ring on Band, etc. Also, its a 6mm wide band type, so I can easily do coin rolls over it. Ill tell you, mastering that took awhile, but it looks good so
I purchased two duplicate rings, just in case I lost the first one. However, on this DVD hes got a routine that requires a dupe ring, so if decide to try it out Im ready. My two cents!
Message: Posted by: MeHitDrum (Nov 13, 2013 01:21AM)
Nie Te, thank you for releasing this fine work on finger ring magic. These skills will be with me a lifetime.
Message: Posted by: fcchief1 (Nov 13, 2013 03:27PM)
Thanks, MHD, where did you pick up your rings? I bought one at Walmart, it fit the way Nie Te showed but was not sure of the weight, as they did not have a scale to weigh it on. It is a wide band so will be visible. Just have not done much in the ring magic arena before so wasn't sure how weight would affect the moves etc.
Message: Posted by: MeHitDrum (Nov 13, 2013 06:58PM)
Another great question...
At first I tried a jewelry store. I got such great looks from the sales girls when I insisted on "a ring for my first finger that was just large enough that it could be removed easily by sliding it off with my first finger and thumb, but not fall off when I turned my hand upside down". Simple right? No! I could tell they thought I was nuts.

I was determined and performed a quick little nothing coin flourish and a trick, and implied my needs as a magician. One of the girls gave me an even stranger look, but they both jumped at the chance to help me. The rings they had were too expensive for my needs, but now I know the exact ring sizes for all my fingers.
Then I bought two rings at the costume jewelry shop at my local mall. They're good practice rings. But I found my perfect rings at JustMensRings.com, an online store. I still recommend getting your fingers sized professionally, in both metric and English. With that info you can confidently shop online, and avoid return hassles. Hope this helped...
http://www.justmensrings.com/Large-Size-Rings-For-Men--JustMensRingscom_c_191.html
Message: Posted by: MeHitDrum (Nov 14, 2013 10:51AM)
Doesn't really matter where you get them, as long as you get the a fairly heavy weight and the correct size for your finger. Heavier weight helps with sliding the ring back to your knuckle.
Message: Posted by: Havens (Nov 15, 2013 02:28PM)
I'm actually using a slightly larger & lighter ring than recommended as I've found this ideal for practice, plus they're dirt cheap on eBay. Once completely competent with this I'll upgrade to a smaller heavier ring.
Message: Posted by: Xiqual (Nov 17, 2013 12:22AM)
Tungsten carbide rings are cheap and plentiful on eBay . You can get many different types.
James
Message: Posted by: MeHitDrum (Nov 17, 2013 03:43PM)
Yes, thay're inexpensive, and one reason is that some are very brittle. Thay'll withstand being dropped only so much, and then they'll split into two pieces like a Louisvisville Slugger; if dropped on a hard serface at the exact right point. I say if you find one you like, get two or three, they're cheap!
Message: Posted by: Havens (Nov 19, 2013 04:01PM)
I've been using steel rings, as there's no breaking them when you drop them & they're still very cheap.
Message: Posted by: ryoma4148 (Nov 19, 2013 06:21PM)
Yes, the thing though is that tungstene carbide is much heavier than steel so it has better momentum which is better for most tricks and flourishes. (I'm not saying that you cannot perform smooth flourishes with a steel ring, just that it is usually easier to be smooth with a heavier ring, just like it is the case with penspinning mods..)

Helps a lot with flick type of moves, but beware, it can hurt a lot more when you miss, trust me you don't want a tungstene ring falling on your little toe ;)

It tends to split in half when falling on the "right" spot just like MeHitDrum said (don't feel bad if that happens, "I didn't break my ring, I built 2 gimmicks" :P), but it seems it's less the case with wider rings with respect to the diameter... I broke several 7mm width rings (size 8), but I also have 8mm rings (still size 8) that I dropped countless times on hard surfaces and they are still in one piece.. (but one of them was a bit more expensive so maybe there is also a quality issue? I would not think so, as jewelry pricing is usually very artificial...)
Message: Posted by: MeHitDrum (Nov 20, 2013 06:21PM)
I agree with ryoma4148, I took the two pieces of broken ring, sanded the edges...and wound up with two gimmicks to perform "Banded" type effect. That's just one more example why workers should purchase several units of the same ring. It's just a wize move.
Message: Posted by: airztonne (Dec 2, 2013 02:24AM)
Hi, could someone tell me what language this is in?
Because from the trailer he spoke in Chinese, so is the instructions in English sub, English Dub or silent?

Thanks in advance!!
Message: Posted by: ryoma4148 (Dec 2, 2013 05:50AM)
It's english sub
Message: Posted by: Havens (Dec 22, 2013 02:46AM)
The DVD's so well shot you don't even need the subs, though they're well worth having for the additional tips etc.
Message: Posted by: Phil Knoxville (Feb 28, 2014 01:08PM)
This has to be one of my favourite DVDs that I've purchased over the years. Nie Te has some mad skills but he gives all you need to learn the effects and build up your own chops. Highly recommended.
Message: Posted by: Themagicguy4 (Apr 5, 2020 12:00PM)
I'm not a big fan of this. All the moves are very jerky and look quite unnatural. If you shake your hand violently for a few seconds, you could get away with murder lol