(Close Window)
Topic: Pi: Ring on Band (Bands Included) by Michael Scanzello
Looks amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoLwRkdcyk
Agreed, me likes! Nice endorsement quotes. I gotta pick up this title. I'll review after watching.
I just ordered from Penguin, I'm pretty excited about this. I think I have a great rubberband routine already but I think this will put it up a notch. I ordered it right away once I found a use for it in my set that will lead up to my finale which would be using my H.O.W wallet!
[quote]
On 2013-11-04 19:34, MeHitDrum wrote:
Nice endorsement quotes.

[/quote]

I wouldn't trust any big name endorsements, period.

I would, however, probably trust a MeHitDrum endorsement.

Especially since he can spell "endorsements" properly.

But, yes, it does look nice.
Lol! Nice one Mr.Straw. Well...it'll be here tomorrow. Lookin' forward to reviewing it. I hope to incorpoate one phase into my current routine. If so, I'll have received my money's worth. Otherwise, it's just continuing education.

Please let us know what you think, because I really do want to pull the trigger on this, but I just can't do it without hearing from an objective reviewer.

Thanks a lot, MeHitDrum!
Michael JUST SPOKE WITH VINCE EVERY THING IS KOOL
vinny
Pi:Ring on Band - A short review
Well...I finally received the package, and extremely happy with my purchase.
Michael presents clear and concise teaching for his four phase ring on band routine. Each is modular, and builds in intensity. This is not just a bunch of rubber band tricks that've been slapped together to sell a DVD. Michael states that he's "developed this routine over many years, refining it and working out all the bugs and angles for you". I believe the live performances in front of a lay audience and showing genuine reactions, warrant this statement.
I should point out that much thought and care has gone into this whole offering. So much so that included in package you'll receive a poster of moves, 1 inexpensive practice ring, and 20 rubber bands to get you started. The bands are perfect for any band routine and are identical to the Pale CrÍpe Gold rubber bands that I have been using quite some time. Highly recommended!

To accomplish each phase, Michael uses methods that are combination of moves culled from others along with moves that he's developed himself. There has been an honest effort to give appropriate crediting.
The video production, lighting and audio are pedestrian at best. However, attention has been given to teaching from all angles including the first person perspective. I found the FPP angle quite helpful.
Though there are live performances, they are shown in breakaway segments that pertain to each one of the teaching phases, so you won't get a complete picture of Michael's patter or delivery. This shouldn't be a problem because you're much better off creating your own natural patter and developing a rapport with your audience rather than just copping somebody else's lines.

To sum up, there are no bad surprises here, if you liked what you saw in the trailer you will be pleased. Solid routine, solid teaching, some new moves and some jaw-dropping magic. I am happy to add the last two phases to my routine.
Finally, aside from the props that accompany the DVD, what you are paying for is Michael's routine. The fact that this is currently being sold for $20 is absolutely mind-boggling to me. This is an unqualified steel. Considering the fact that this is a whole linking rings routine that fits on your wrist, If you're even slightly interested rubber band magic, and who isn't, do not hesitate to purchase this title.

Prediction: PI: RING ON BAND gets "Worker of the Week"
Thanks a lot, MeHitDrum.

Me want this too, but now I'll have to wait since it seems to be gone from my preferred retailers.
I agree with mehitdrum. This is a great thing to spend 20 bucks on. Really nice routine and excellent value.
Hi guys,
Is this gimmick free? If it is gimmick free like CMH I might be tempted to get this.
Thanks.
[quote]
On 2013-11-09 11:39, deanbarlow wrote:
Hi guys,
Is this gimmick free? If it is gimmick free like CMH I might be tempted to get this.
Thanks.
[/quote]

I think it is, only manipulations.
No gimmick
Thanks guys, anybody supplying it?
This is completely impromptu, using just slight of hand. You can even use a borrowed ring. Nice!
Looks like Penguin has it in stock now!
Man, that looks sweet. MeHitDrum, after checking it out, would you consider this intermediate or advanced difficulty? I can do some basic rubber band moves, but haven't touched them in quite a while. I'm just trying to decide whether to add it this to my current practice list or not.
Wasn't home on Saturday, it might be at my place already!
And thank you for the review. I got my product in today, I'll be going over this tonight, I'm a rubberband junky so I know I'm gonna have fun with this.
Hey Dallas,
Good question. I feel that there are several advanced moves in here. They're still easy enough to come to grips with if you've done any kind of rubber band work. Done slowly they will expose the method in some cases. So I've been doing video and mirror work with this for about a week now. Muscle memory, smoothness, and speed are coming together and just lately it's starting it look like a freaking miracle...to me. For my routine, I'm only using the last phase: Lost/Master Link.
Hey, thanks for the insight.
Will doing this routine replace the Pinnacle and The Joining as my Finger Ring to Rubberband routine?
Just ordered. this is gonna be some fun stuff to get good at.
Message: Posted by: Honest Deception Mike (Nov 14, 2013 01:14PM)
Hi,
Thanks for the kind words about my routine MeHitDrum in your review! I am not sure what moves you are referring to if done slowly will expose the method in some cases? Maybe you could private message me to clarify? I have done all phases of the routine at a normal pace over years of performance. Just talking briefly while doing the move, perhaps a body turn here or there to cover as well. As in any effect the more casual and relaxed you are the more relaxed the audience will be. That was mainly what Chris Kenner's kind words were for the "Lost Link" set-up. He wanted to see a live video clip of the set-up to give a testimonial. Personally, made me proud of my effort on the plot! :) Again, thanks for all the kind words! I have to credit Vincent Mendoza with the one hand position featured in the "Master Link" and my unlink is a variation on his fine work. As noted, the real benefit of this handling over others is you borrow the ring, even use a bracelet, or hair tie. It was funny shooting in a "hip" section of Philly for the live footage. Few people had rings on them. I had to improvise using hair ties and bracelets to do the routine. :)
Michael Scanzello
Hi Mike,
Thanks much for your work, and this release. For the record, I believe the pacing you presented for each one of the moves in each phase is spot on.
Just to clarify, my comment regarding the moves being "exposed when done slowly" was in the context of practicing, what I consider to be intermediate to advanced moves. As well, it had to do with getting that pacing down before ever presenting the trick in public. Thanks again and I look forward to your future releases.
Dave
Message: Posted by: Honest Deception Mike (Nov 15, 2013 12:04PM)
Thanks for clarifying. Glad to see you are working with the routine! :)
Michael
Ordered this from my go to magic store and its still on back order? When will more be out? Cant wait any longer.
Message: Posted by: Honest Deception Mike (Nov 20, 2013 10:18AM)
Hi MR Effecto I can't wait either! I was happy to see Murphy's sold through the first run so quickly. Second run is almost complete, should be available in stores next week. Thanks for asking!

Michael Scanzello
Message: Posted by: Honest Deception Mike (Nov 20, 2013 10:24AM)
If you can't wait you can also check out the big dealers online and may find some copies still available.
Search magic tricks and see the top sites that come up. I think one of those guys has some left. :)
Penguin has it. Placed my order yesterday and it's shipped and on the way.

Millard
Ya I miss out. I went to penguin 1st they were gone. Went to mgm and it showed they had some. Placed my order then told on back order. Then penguin has more. Lol. I can't wait now until the end of the month. Looks killer.
Hello all, over at Philly Magic we have a limited supply of the first run of Pi.
We had an amazing time working with Mike to help bring you this awesome product!

You can get your copy at http://phillymagic.com/pi

Enjoy!

PS
if you purchase Pi from PhillyMagic.com we will be emailing a bonus video out by the end of the week to everyone who bought it!