(Close Window)
Topic: The Doll house illusion transformed into a Christmas themed show
I am just preparing for some Christmas shows coming up in December. I wanted to transform the doll house illusion into Santas workshop. Instead of producing doll furniture and dolls, I would produce wood working tools and wooden toys. Then ultimately my assistant, dressed as Santa's helper, would make her grand appearance!

I planned on temporarily adhering a Santa's workshop covering to the outside of the doll house.

Just wondering if anyone ever considered trying this before?

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

For me, I consider it an example of an inexpensive fix/means to provide a Christmas theme to a magic show utilizing props or illusions that I already possess.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for specific a song to be played during the routine?
How about "We are Santa's Elves" from the movie Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHRA3k5-_U
I was not familiar with the song, but once upon a time I did see the movie. I posted the link. It sounds like a good fit, but it is a bit short in time. Perhaps if a had a bit of another christamas song prior to this one it might work out.

Thanks for the song idea Charlie!
Good idea and if you have an easy way to attach and detach coverings, such as embedded magnets, you can make one side a Santa's Workshop and the other side a Haunted House for Halloween. Another pair of covers could be for an Easter Bunny house and an all purpose Barn.
I have different fronts for my Dollhouse. For my Christmas theme I use this music (with a little editing). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHzYjuf5NA
An odd note: Wooden items to produce from the "Santa's Workshop" might include toy airplanes, cars, etc. Recently I have noticed kits for these in the toy section of Dollar Tree stores. (Don't forget that you can also order from Dollar Tree online.)

It sounds like fun!
Eldon, how did you create the different fronts? What material did you use?

Bob, thanks for your idea! I will have to check that out!

Good idea, Jim
I re-themed my doll to look like a gingerbread house. Staples sells printable temporary decals that come in sheets of 8.5 x 11. A good way to dress up the outside.

John
[quote]
On 2013-11-11 07:27, MagicJim wrote:
[/quote]

The four sides of my Dollhouse clip together with hinges and hitch pin clips. They are made from birch plywood. I made additional fronts and paint them to fit different themes.
[quote]
On 2013-11-11 09:28, Eldon wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-11-11 07:27, MagicJim wrote:
[/quote]

The four sides of my Dollhouse clip together with hinges and hitch pin clips. They are made from birch plywood. I made additional fronts and paint them to fit different themes.
[/quote]

Inter-changeable panels is the way to go, fronts probably being the most important.

I was thinking also that going along with Jim's idea for magnets, you could have custom printing done on magnetic sign material. It would be super thing and should hold fast.
More great ideas!
My wife just picked up a couple wooden toy kits at the store. Thanks for the advice Bob Sanders! I just spent 35 minutes building a wooden airplane and a wooden car with my girls. They really enjoyed it. It was a good family project. Now they can be used in the December shows as part of the Santa's Workshop (formerly dollhouse) illusion.
It's probably too late for this year, but for next year's Christmas show, you might want to check out The Wizards' Journal #15, specifically my "Santa's Toy Workshop" and possibly the "Jack In The Box Illusion."