(Close Window)
Topic: I need help with the weight of a chalet magic shadow box in ata case.. This is very important to me
If anyone owns a Chalet Magic Shadow Box..

I would like to know if anyone could find out the weight of the illusion in the ata case.

I have a major problem right now with a shipping company that tells me that the weight is 975 lbs..

I told them originally it was around 200 lbs..

now they are trying to charge me around 400 dollars extra.. I have to prove that the prop is not 975lbs..

any help would be great..

Thanks so much..

Taylor ..... I sold the prop to someone else and we have to weigh it on an industrial scale with a printed certificate and photos and video proof of the illusion in the case to prove out that there was a mistake on this deal..

975 lbs is just out there in my opinion..
Taylor,

Shipping companies that I deal with charge by Dimensional weight. The prop may weigh 200lbs but if it exceeds a certain size they bill you on the size as opposed to the weight. You should ask the carrier if this how it's billed. A carrier has two limit restrictions when booking packages for their transport or plane, they have restrictions on both weight and available volume, but need to charge "x" amount in order to pay for the transport so they bill you on dimensional weight (volume versus weight) and charge you based on which is ever greater against their two limit restrictions, if that makes sense. Sounds like the 975 is the dimensional weight.

What's the size of the case?
Generally the only time that I get charges the dimensional weight is when I do Over Seas shipping.

But thanks for the comment.. That could be the problem.. But I don't think so in this case... Ata case that is.

Thanks..

TR
Np, I hate dealing with shipping because crap like this you end up encountering. I hope it gets worked out!
Taylor,

Is this Yellow/YRC? They whacked me for a re-bill last year.

Sincerely,
David
As long as you get a freight quote BEFORE shipping and weight and dims are the same as quoted they cannot get away with other charges.
Aiways protect yourself and get a quote first before shipping!!!!!!!!!
David,
It's funny you bring up YRC. I refuse to work with them anymore because every single time I use them, there is some sort of problem. Either they nail me for extra charges, they're late, the package ends up in the wrong location, etc.
Taylor....

Mine is approx. 275 lbs in its case. I also have some extra weight on mine due to producing two people instead of one, therefore yours should be about 75 lbs lighter. Two hundered pounds sounds about right in my opinion.

BTW..I did not go weigh mine...I have a list sheet from prior weigh-ins of each of my illusions.

When I saw you post 975, I had to ask myself what the heck your box was made of. 975 is laughable!
SO

What;s the best shipping services that everyone uses?
For ANYTHING in CA. NEVADA or most of the western part of the country... I go with Mountain Valley Express,,, they shipped a full pallette from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for around 200.

I would suggest settting up a corporate acount.. even if you're only shipping the one item... theyre acounting system isn't really set up for a one time customer and paying them is a pain...
I use freightquote.com. They get a variety of prices from different shippers in the area you need to ship. This is a great way to go if you do not have an account with a freight company.
I have many accounts with different shippers.

I have just never had this problem before.. I think we are getting it all worked out on Monday..

Thanks To all.

TR