(Close Window)
Topic: "Selfie" named word of the year
The Oxford dictionary has selected "selfie" as the word of the year for 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-photos-selfie-declared-word-173752479.html

I'm not sure what my response should be. What's yours?
If I cared, I'd be sad.

Fortunately . . . .
Maybe they picked it because it represents how self-centered people are nowadays?
I think I agree with you.
Do they need to go to a psychologist or a psychoanalyst to find out about their selfie?
A few years back I took a train from Sydney to the Blue Mountains. I noticed that the middle-aged and beyond were taking photos of the scenery. The youthful took pictures of themselves. It saddened me.
I'm so tasty I could eat my selfie.
We are all selfie's it's our business. Without pictures of ourselfs we are limiting our marketing opertunities.
I carry a couple pocket tricks with me every where I go. I do not leave my house without at least 25 business cards, and on each card is my picture and phone number which I give to every strangers that will take one.
Would you take a selfie of me?
Mr Bean
To a large extent, vanity will ALWAYS be in style. Understanding the ego-centric nature of people, and playing to it is one of the secrets to being a good entertainer (or leader, perhaps).

The increase in this behavior?? Simple. People are learning to pay attention to themselves, because no one else does.
I don't think you guys know what a selfie is. A selfie is when you hold your smart phone at arms length and photograph yourself. It is not just a picture of yourself, which anyone can take. You take the picture in a selfie.
"I noticed that the middle-aged and beyond were taking photos of the scenery. The youthful took pictures of themselves. It saddened me."

well, Miles Davis was once asked why he hung out in the hotel room rather than going out and looking at the scenery. He said "that's what postcards are for."

I think I'd rather have a picture of myself and my friends if I'm on a trip rather than scenery which a million other people have taken. It is never like it is when you are there. I'd rather have a picture of my friends.
Now lets see if I follow Slide. You just got back from a vacation from The Grand Canyon and you are talking about it and someone says do you have any pictures? You say yes and begin to show them your pictures of eating at McDonalds both inside and in the car with your friends and two pictures of eating take out Chinese in your motel room with friends. Yea sounds like great pictures and memories. :) Just put those in your scrap book or file them on your computer. Definitely no need for words with these is there? :) I can hear the comments now. Wow look at that McDonalds inside. And I love the color of the interior of your car. To bad you closed your eyes on that one photo because it was a great pic of you and the value menu. :)
:)
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 17:15, Slide wrote:
It is not just a picture of yourself, which anyone can take. You take the picture in a selfie.
[/quote]

You take the picture in a picture of yourself, too.
"You say yes and begin to show them your pictures of eating at McDonalds both inside and in the car with your friends and two pictures of eating take out Chinese in your motel room with friends. "

Yes. The photos that mean something to me are those of my kids, my loved ones, my friends. You can't recreate the grand cannon from the lousy pictures you take. Ansel Adams has done much better. I'd rather have the memories of my loved ones. I don't eat at McDonalds so more likely it will be my friends and family eating a a colorful pub or local establishment. I don't know about you, but for me, people are much more fun and interesting to remember than some rock formation.
"Wow look at that McDonalds inside. And I love the color of the interior of your car. To bad you closed your eyes on that one photo because it was a great pic of you and the value menu. "

remind me never to go on a vacation with you. :)

so a few years ago I took my then girlfriend to Captiva Island. Beautiful spot. But the photos I took were of my girlfriend .It is the way SHE looked on the beaches of Captiva that capture my heart, not some bad photo of the sand.

Actually I'm really surprised that you would not see that. Really: when you go on vacation, you take shots of the scenery? You aren't interested in remembering how your family looked? I find that incredibly odd. But then I'm not you.
We've already had the Me Generation. I wonder if this one will become known as the Selfie Generation?
So much for vanity being a sin. Every kid on the planet is constsntly posing for the perfect self pic for upload. Scary.
Arthur, this should be known as the "Hey, g*dd*mmit, I said Me Generation!"

Oh, and just imagine the science behind this... Now we can study the various sub-groups, such as drunk selfie, out-of-focus selfie, up-the-nostril selfie, photo-bombed selfie, duckface selfie, hold-the-camera-just-right-so-my-boobs-look-bigger selfie, new-tattoo selfie, guaranteed-life-earning-minimum-wage selfie, point-toward-the-mirror-so-the-camera-shows-too selfie, this-is-the-person-who-ate-that-photo-of-my-food-I-just-posted selfie, .....
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 15:18, arthur stead wrote:
Maybe they picked it because it represents how self-centered people are nowadays?
[/quote]

I agree.
I got to admit though I do like to have my photo taken with my heroes like, me.
[quote]
[/quote]

Actually, they picked it because it was the most used new word on the Internet in 2013.
That's probably true, mastermindreader ... over-used words such as "awesome" and "cool" and "like" are probably only (over) used in actual speech.
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 15:09, mastermindreader wrote:

[/quote]

OK folks, I hate to admit this, but in truth (in my best Don Corleone voice), "I've never heard of a selfie before this very day."

I guess I'm just an out-of-touch old guy who still has a land line and a flip cell phone. I can't believe I missed this particular part of our pop culture. Selfie. Yikes. Hey, look what Andy Warhol did with a soup can, right? Different times, that's all.

Thank you Mastermindreader Bob Cassidy for bringing me to further light. :)
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 18:02, Slide wrote:
"You say yes and begin to show them your pictures of eating at McDonalds both inside and in the car with your friends and two pictures of eating take out Chinese in your motel room with friends. "

Yes. The photos that mean something to me are those of my kids, my loved ones, my friends. You can't recreate the grand cannon from the lousy pictures you take. Ansel Adams has done much better. I'd rather have the memories of my loved ones. I don't eat at McDonalds so more likely it will be my friends and family eating a a colorful pub or local establishment. I don't know about you, but for me, people are much more fun and interesting to remember than some rock formation.
[/quote]

Well then quite honestly you should not have gone to the Grand Canyon to begin with. :) However I think it would be nice to include some pictures of the Rock formations with your family so have the both of best worlds. You don't go to a concert with ear plugs.

Besides all Ansel Adams pictures were Black and White using the Zone System and a large format camera.
[quote]
On 2013-11-20 02:13, acesover wrote:
[quote]
You don't go to a concert with ear plugs.
[/quote]
Aces, I agree with you on most things, but I couldn't go to a concert without ear plugs. And that's why I don't attend concerts anymore.

I have high frequency hearing loss and loud tinnitus in both ears. Noise induced. Military related and I didn't serve in a war zone. Another discussion for another time.

But I can't attend concerts anymore because the music is literally painful to my ears and in fact I need, no, [i]require[/i] ear plugs. The last live concert I attended was at Shea Stadium in 1992 when Eric Clapton and Elton John preformed together and I needed ear plugs then. That's the truth. I can't attend live concerts at those decibel levels anymore.

That said, your point is well taken. :)
I'll bet if we had a time machine and could go into the future, maybe 100 years, we would hardly be able to understand English. Sort of like today's Ebonic's.
Iven :patty:
"You don't go to a concert with ear plugs. "

You don't go to many concerts. Ear plugs are a requirement if you want to keep your hearing.

"Well then quite honestly you should not have gone to the Grand Canyon to begin with"

I think you are completely wrong. I think the folks who take pictures at a place like the Grand Canyon are ridiculous: how about just enjoying the moment while you are in it? You can't really enjoy a place if your view is shrunk to the size of a viewfinder. I watch people taking home movies and pictures and think, you are missing the whole experience.
To undertand the magic of photographs it helps to understand the magic of symbols and the method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFJxeg5jDmw
I saw Motörhead from the 4th row without ear plugs and lived to tell (and hear) about it.
It probably doesn't need to be said, but my point was not about photographs or photography. It was about apparent importance. One has to wonder about the motivation of posting hundreds of selfies, photos of tonight's dinner, etc on social media. Do we really find

a) ourselves more interesting than our world?
b) the need for approval of our food to be so important?
c) that we need constant attention?
d) that "likes" actually matter to us?
A) No, but many people hope that [i]other people[/i[ will find them more interesting than their world.
b) Related to a); another symptom of runaway narcissism.
c) For many people, yes.
d) See c), above.

It's the reality TV/social media generation. So many people have been made superstars for being annoying self-absorbed narcissists that there's a line of people perpetually auditioning.
[quote]
On 2013-11-20 10:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I saw Motörhead from the 4th row without ear plugs and lived to tell (and hear) about it.
[/quote]

What?
"One has to wonder about the motivation of posting hundreds of selfies, photos of tonight's dinner, etc on social media."

I find it interesting when people criticize others for being human. Sharing our lives is what brings us closer together. I don't really judge this kind of behavior...is it really any different then the endless posts that go on here over inconsequencial things or things we have not controll over. Do you question your own motivation on posting to a magic board about non magical things? As humans we like to share things. Young people are natural narcisists mainly because they aren't sure of their place in the world.
I vote for "Gardyloo" as word of the year...
Here's what I don't understand; a thread about [i]"Selfies"[/i] and nary a one posted?
(Shakes his head as he wanders off to find his camera)
You know you have arrived when you have a bobble head
Funny how so many of the old men here are complaining about selfies. :)

Here's a view of selfies, from a different perspective:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/11/selfies_on_instagram_and_facebook_are_tiny_bursts_of_girl_pride.html
Not even going there. You will be an old man some day. If you're lucky. :)
[quote]
On 2013-11-21 01:49, balducci wrote:
Funny how so many of the old men here are complaining about selfies. :)

Here's a view of selfies, from a different perspective:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/11/selfies_on_instagram_and_facebook_are_tiny_bursts_of_girl_pride.html

[/quote]

For the record, I am not complaining about or criticizing selfies. It's narcissism that concerns me, whippersnapper.
[quote]
On 2013-11-20 10:40, LobowolfXXX wrote:
So many people have been made superstars for being annoying self-absorbed narcissists that there's a line of people perpetually auditioning.
[/quote]

Oh, that's a beautifully written line!
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 15:09, mastermindreader wrote:

[/quote]
That there are people who still do not know what a selfie is, let alone have the ability to take one?

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/05/too_poor_for_pop_culture/
I'll admit when this thread started I didn'tknow what a selfie was. Call me out of touch. Why would I know about it? I'm retired, involved in my own things, have a flip phone, though it has a camera, I never use it. Again, why would I? I have a great digital camera with auxiliary lenses. I can't imagine taking self-serving pics of myself and floating them. Yikes. Then Mr. President, Barack Obama, does it at Mandella's memorial service. Yikes again. I'd rather not be a part of this thing called selfies. Echoing Ira Levin's "All of them, witches," all of them, narcissists. :)
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 21:09, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Actually, they picked it because it was the most used new word on the Internet in 2013.
[/quote]

Odd how different phrases affect people differently. I am wary of the ability of anyone to track every word on the internet and come up with an answer. Makes me nervous. Nobody else seems to care.
http://lefunny.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Internet-doesnt-make-you-stupid.jpg
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 18:02, Slide wrote:

[/quote]

I agree with Slide on this. We've been to Walt Disney World several times. Each time, we've taken pictures of the characters and of the parades and the sights within the parks. But last year I suggested that we get pictures of OURSELVES relating to these things. It would make them so much more personal.

My kid took a selfie of himself at WDW. Not sure if it counts because he added a character...

http://dragonrider1227.deviantart.com/art/Me-and-Jessie-379229671