(Close Window)
Topic: Best vent figures
Does any one have an opinion on who makes the most absolutely realistic , lifelike vent figures in the world? I know most of the figures made are pretty good, but who makes the best? (Price is no object)
Tim Selberg-------cheers!---Jimo---remember absolutly lifelike may not always be the funniest. :pepper:
I agree that Timís work is amongst the best.

You can check out his offerings at:

http://www.selbergstudios.com/

For quality and durability expect to pay a premium price!
For Hard Figures: Tim Selberg, Ray Guyll and Brant Gilmer.

Ray Guyll web site is
http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/k/gkoepke/guyll

Brant Gilmer didn't have a website, his email address is brangilm@adelphia.net. He make a character according to your specification and need.

For Soft Figures: Steve Axtell, Verna Finly and Mary Ann Taylor

If I have a lot of money, I like to buy figures from all of them.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Try George Schindler at Show Biz Services in New York.

showbiz10@aol.com
Definitely Selberg...top quality!
Coldthorn
I have to agree... Tim Selberg for hard figures and Steve Axtell for soft figures.
http://www.imaginariumgalleries.com/ig/new%20gallery.htm

This is another great site that I had a friend refer me to.
I am new at venting and follow the hodini philosphy;

an illusion (inexpensive) done with good showmanship is always better than an illusion (expensive) done poorly.
anything ordinary done with extra proactivity will always become extraordinary. ( amamzing boz philosphy)

great success !
This is a tough topic...

There are so many figures out there and so many figure makers...

To pick and choose who is the best is like comparing apples to oranges.

I prefer... for my particular style and taste... an incredible figure maker named Robert McRay out of Hollywood. Both of my main stay figures have been created by him. Both of mine are carved from Basswood, the traditional vent figure material, but the concepts and figures are far from traditional. Robert creates figures in his original "BIG Head" style. Hence the size of Joe head in this picture. He also carves from a 5 line description you provide and no sketches are ever done. Most people don't like to work this way when you are paying thousands for a figure... It's the only way I would care to do it.
I trust in the artistic style and talent of Robert.

That's my opinion!

Jimmy Vee
Ventriloquist, Mentalist, Hyper active!
Orlando, Fl
Yes, Jimmy!
You are absolutely right! I forgot to mention McRay.

So here is Robert McRay's website:
http://www.robertmcray.net/Home_pagex.html

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Geoff Felix in the UK is brilliant. He produces many figures but is most known for making figures in the style of Len Insul.
Check out his web site.
George.
Probably one of the most underrated figure makers out there in my opinion is Conrad Hartz! His main forte' is cheeky Irish figures and Mortimer/bumb figures. However he is a very talented carver and can make just about anything! You can really tell the Frank Marshall influence in his figures. His carving and paint work is absolutely beautiful!

Also, he is without a doubt THE most reasonable carver out there in terms of price! I know of no other pro figure maker in the business (especially with his kind of experience) that will carve you a custom figure out of basswood for what he charges!

http:/bellsouthpwp.net/g/k/gkoepke/hartz/
Conrad is great. He's carving me a figure right now. I've also ordered one from Brant Gilmer who will get started in August. Both have incredbily reasonable prices, and I've heard from many that NOBODY matches Brant Gilmer for excellent mechanics these days.

I have a friend that has a BIGHEAD figure, and he RAVES about it. Now keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who used to own and perform with a McElroy so that says a lot about Bigheads.
Hey Matt, do you know if Brant has an official website? I've tried looking but cannot find anything.
I use the Puppet Hut in Vidalia, Georgia for my creations. Allen McCall made me four puppets and one thing I really love is the arm and hand does not get hot and sweaty while inside the puppet. If you want to contact him, go to my website, http://www.policemagic.com, and click on Puppets On Patrol. His email and address is listed at the bottom.
I know some of you are going to think I'm nuts but I personally think Tim Selberg figures are overrated and certainly overpriced. The problem I see with Selberg figures are they are way too streamlined and 'flawless.' To me they resemble China dolls more than they do ventriloquist dummies. Humans have flaws and I think one quality that makes vent figures seem more 'human' is that they have a sort of rough around the edges look to them.

Albert at http://ventriloquistfigure.com makes fantastic looking figures and at a much more reasonable price. I also happen to believe that Alan Semok at http://dummydoctor.com makes great figures as well. Conrad Hartz is also fantastic and so is Brant Gilmer.
I agree with your take on the Selbergs. I've owned two of them and sold them both... Not his wood carved stuff, only his "living puppet" line. I think his wood carved stuff is better. I really like Brent Gilmer - but thought he wasn't making puppets any longer? What is his contact info?

I love Conrad's work - escpecially his "BUM" figures. In vent circles his is highly regarded.
[quote]
On 2004-04-28 10:34, Jimmy Vee wrote:
I agree with your take on the Selbergs. I've owned two of them and sold them both... Not his wood carved stuff, only his "living puppet" line. I think his wood carved stuff is better. I really like Brent Gilmer - but thought he wasn't making puppets any longer? What is his contact info?

I love Conrad's work - escpecially his "BUM" figures. In vent circles his is highly regarded.

[/quote]

Glad someone else shares my opinion. Yes I owned a living puppet and sold it as well. I think I was more caught up in wanting to own a Selberg than anything else. Once I had it, I realized it wasn't the big deal I thought it would be.

Yeah Conrad Hartz is great! I've commissioned him to build a figure for me in the not so distant future. He could charge so much more for his figures if he wanted to but he keeps them down to such a reasonable price. It makes me wonder how other figure makers justify charging 7 to 10 thousand dollars for their figures when Conrad will build you a custom hand carved figure for 1250!!

Anyway, I simply must give kudos also to Robert McRay. Though I have never owned one, his creations are truly among the most unique I have ever seen! His bighead style makes his creations really pop and come to life. I also hear they are a dream to operate.
Hello there all, my name is Jeremy Albert Ringermacher and I've just launched a new ventriloquists figure production studio, called J.A.R. Productions. I've just presented my first character at the international ventriloquists convention in Las Vegas to much success. My web site is in the making and will be up shortly. My figures are a top of the line alternative to a Selberg and to any other figure maker for that matter. I can email photos of the figures upon request.
My address is Jar_productions@sbcglobal.net

Most Sincerely,
Jeremy Albert Ringermacher
Brant's email is brangilm@adelphia.net. He does not have a website.

Conrad is VERY reasonably priced, and a true gentleman. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for me. I'm guessing I should get it in another few weeks.

I'm using a Tim Cowles figure right now that I LOVE. His mechanics are top knotch, and the entire figure is extremely HIGH quality. It's lightweight and really fun to use. You can't beat the price on his figures either. Go to http://www.dummyworks.com to see more.

As far as Selberg's go, I think I would like to own a Selberg "Max" living puppet someday. I really like the "McElroyish" look of that figure. I was close to ordering one, but I found Brant's info and contacted him and found that I could order a loaded figure for not MUCH more than I would have paid for a loaded Max, so I went for the one of a kind in stead. I saw a Charlie and Mortimer Snerd replica that Selberg carved that were two of the most beautiful figures I've ever seen. Not sure what he charged for them, but they were just beautiful and worth every penny I'm sure.

Everyone I know who has a Bighead figure LOVES them, and Robert McRay stands behind his work. A truely talented artist, and I don't think anyone would be disappointed with one of his figures.

I'm also a big fan of Ray Guyll. Anyone own a Ray Guyll figure? What do you think? I would like to purchase one someday.

If anyone would like to trade Ventriloquist Figure pics, email me at: Matthew_Kimbro24@yahoo.com. I have a boat load.
Hi folks,

Dummydude and Jimmy Vee, I have often looked at the Selberg site and entertained the thought of possibly ordering one, however, I'd really like to know why you don't like them and decided to in fact get rid of yours.
Was it that they didn't go over well with the audience or was it because of mechanical problems or something else?
Please feel free to pm me if you'd prefer not to discuss it here.
Thanks so much for your time,
Billy
I think it might be that they look just like a very beautiful "Doll"------I don't know what I would do "character" wise with one-----not my cup of tea--but you have to admire the skill in building them!--cheers!----Jimeuax
[quote]
On 2004-05-11 02:51, BIlly James wrote:
Hi folks,

Dummydude and Jimmy Vee, I have often looked at the Selberg site and entertained the thought of possibly ordering one, however, I'd really like to know why you don't like them and decided to in fact get rid of yours.
Was it that they didn't go over well with the audience or was it because of mechanical problems or something else?
Please feel free to pm me if you'd prefer not to discuss it here.
Thanks so much for your time,
Billy
[/quote]

Well I'm not disputing that Tim is a talented artist. His mechanics were fine (though not mind-blowing. I own other figures with equally impressive mechanics). It's his style of figure making and the cost-effectiveness of his figures that I have issues with.

If you read my post above, I think I clearly stated why I'm not so crazy about Tim's figure making style. His figures LITERALLY have no flaws. Now what I mean is that if you study any individual long enough, you will be able to pick out the flaws in them. This is the "human" quality that is missing from Tim's figures. They look more like china dolls than figures. I believe figures need to have a sort of rough around the edges quality because it makes them look more human and less like dolls.

As far as cost-effectiveness goes, well there's no other way to say it. The asking price for his figures are ridiculous. For example, there is absolutely no way a figure maker should charge over a thousand bucks for a STOCK figure that is poured from a mold with absolutely NO extras. But that is exactly what Tim charges. If you want to add blinkers or raising eyebrows your talking another 2-500 bucks! You want a custom figure? hehe, be prepared to spend between 5000-7000 dollars.

It's hard to argue with success and Tim certainly is regarded as THE premiere figuremaker in biz. I mean he IS the Frank Marshall of our era. All I'm saying is that before you spend the kind of money that Tim is asking you might want to research a bit more.

I say if you want a traditional irish-type boy character then go with Conrad Hartz. If you want something a bit more characature looking then go with a Robert McRay bighead or one of Albert's figures at http://www.imaginariumgalleries.com
Check out Monster puppets at http://www.fabmagic.com
My two latest acquisitions are soft figures made by Verna Finlay. They have lots of character. I also have a shaggy dog soft figure by Maryanne Taylor MAT which is very nice.
My only hard figure is a large-headed boy by Kem Poyner. Kem make very attractive figures with good controls and is still reasonably priced.
Does anyone know where I can find a website on Verna Finly? I would like to see some of her people puppets.
Thanks so much
I don't know if Verna has a web site. However, my address book shows the following contact information for her:
Verna Finly, 1750 Jamaica Way #113, Punta Gorda, FL 33950, (941) 639-0464, email: afcol@Peganet.com
She makes exquisite soft foam puppets to your specifications. She also sells a four hour video tape on how to make your own puppets. The tape is well done and easy to follow.

Another soft figure maker that deserves your attention is Mary Ann Taylor of MAT Puppets in Salem, Virginia. I use a duck that she made for me. My duck can be seen [url=http://www.matpuppets.com/animalsgalleries/animalsgalleries3and4.htm#animals3]Here![/url]

It is A 31 in animals gallery 4

or just start with her home page at:
http://www.matpuppets.com/home.htm
I know you are wanting to get a figure ,but do you know what you who your shows is going to be for?? Kids like soft puppets and are not afraid of them as much as a hard puppet.Another thing to remember is the cost of a hard puppet,you better be sure of a character ,because it takes a lot of shows to pay for one.All the makers above are great. But be sure of the kind of character you want.I have had the same hard figure for 25 years ,but have use many soft puppets along the way.My hard figure cost a lot but I did an artist drawing of just how I wanted made and had his character all ready pick out ,name ,how old he is,ect.Just some thoughts on the subject of figures.
Altson
According to Carole Greenes Vent Directory Verna has a new address. I recall hearing she had moved. Following is the information:

VERNA FINLY
7416 Spring Village Drive T18
Springfield, VA 22150-4927
(703) 569-0351

HOpe this helps.

Chris
For those of you wanting to use a puppet in your act but are not skilled as a ventriloquist, Axtell has pre-recorded routines on CD you can interract with. We've just added a bunch of new titles for your consideration! http://www.axtell.com/axtrax.html

Ax
And high quality, soft puppets too that are guaranteed to wow any audience.
For the most "realistic" figures, nobody tops Ray Guyll.

Have you seen the Elvis, Al Gore, Frank Sinatra, or Nat King Cole figures he did for Gary Wilner.

One word: Unsurpassed!
As a huge fan of the late Frank Marshall's figures, I love the look Conrad Hartz achieves. While the Marshall influence is clear, Conrad's personal touch is still evident in all his figures. GREAT value!
Found a guy at ebay with seller id "tinkdini" he is making very nice and cheap puppets, maybe is not the best one but he build high quality figures and he never build the same puppet twice.

I bought one from him and really I was surprise with the quality, also he customizes my bird with short foot without any extra change, wow!

I'm ready with this puppet and axtel pre-recorded routines.
Make sure to check out Axtell Expressions for amazing puppets with lots of character and magic. We've built the Madagascar puppets for Dreamworks, 30 foot trees, squirting elephants, smoke blowing Dragons and lots more.....

http://www.axtell.com
/nod

Steve Axtells' puppets are fantastic. The characters available and quality are excellent. Steve has done a great job of keeping the prices affordable allowing for the developement of various characters without having to spend thousands of dollars. Highly recommended.

Chris Johnson
After watching my partner rehearse with her Axtell Alley Cat for a birthday party tomorrow, I am in stitches...what a great character! And very expressive. The brow moves, the nose moves... True, it's the voice she's come up with and the way she animates it, but the puppet itself is remarkable. She's fallen in love with the response it gets.

Tim
[quote]
On 2004-01-07 23:39, Bob Sanders wrote:
Try George Schindler at Show Biz Services in New York.

showbiz10@aol.com
[/quote]

With respect to Bob, I've never been crazy for the figures at Show Biz Services.

There is no "best figure." Any figure you enjoy working with is the best. For me, it's always Conrad Hartz's figures.
Hmm...best figure.

Best quality? Best character? Best looking? Best mechanics?

I know many working professionals who buy highly affordable and high quality Axtell puppets. He also gives you 10 million different puppets to choose from, which is a lot of fun. The characters you could create could last you an entire career.

There are other successful vents/comedians who don't pay much at all for a figure but are quite successful? Who? Well..I think Jeff Dunham spent about 50 bucks in materials to build Walter. He also built the original Jose Jalapeno, and his new characters Sweet Daddy D, and Bubba D. The most expensive figure he uses is Peanut, originally made by Verna, now made by Mary Ann Taylor.

Otto of "Otto and George" fame uses a very affordable (and crude) Anderson figure from way-back-when. Value? Probably $300 if that.

It isn't HOW much you pay for the figure, or necessarily how "cool" it looks. It is the life you bring to the character, snappy dialogue, comic timing, technique, and proper manipulation. With these things you can get laughs building a puppet from two pieces of toast. Edgar Bergen wrapped a handkerchief around his hand, and painted on crude lips and eyes, and had people dieing in the aisles with laughter. Something to think about.

I must agree with Rick Morse. You get the most BANG for your BUCK when buying a Conrad Hartz figure.
Did someone mention the works created by Jerry Layne?

http://www.jerrylayne.com
Depends on one's budget :) :)

As John Pizzi said...he's the world's best comedian- IN HIS PRICE RANGE :)
so a Juro doll might be the best figure in it's price range... :)

Axtell rules for soft figures and...

Lovik and Poyner might be the top choices for a hard figure as far as my wallet is concerned...not that these figures are cheap, its just that I find them more affordable and still HIGH quality figures :)

Selberg/McRay/Marshall/Mack/Hartz might be the best choices for those who have thicker wallets :)

Figures advertised as semi-pro figures are quite reasonably priced too for someone with a low budget.

But if budget is not a concern...then I won't hesitate getting a McRay or a Wooden Selberg :)

Thanks

Wanlu
Check out my very young friend BLAKE who had to save his money for 7- 8 years to buy a Selberg :) ONE LUCKY KID :)

"...i saved up about 7-8 years to get him (Selberg Max)....trust me were not rich!...not even close!....I had to send him back to Tim because the man did not put the mechanisims in the head correctly... I cant wait o get him back" - Blake

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=129677993
I have 2 Axtell chimp puppets, a large and a small. They're awesome puppets that create a sensation everywhere we go. They are also easy to manipulate, and they're very real looking.
[quote]
On 2004-04-03 19:04, Jimmy Vee wrote:
This is a tough topic...

There are so many figures out there and so many figure makers...

To pick and choose who is the best is like comparing apples to oranges.

I prefer... for my particular style and taste... an incredible figure maker named Robert McRay out of Hollywood. Both of my main stay figures have been created by him. Both of mine are carved from Basswood, the traditional vent figure material, but the concepts and figures are far from traditional. Robert creates figures in his original "BIG Head" style. Hence the size of Joe head in this picture. He also carves from a 5 line description you provide and no sketches are ever done. Most people don't like to work this way when you are paying thousands for a figure... It's the only way I would care to do it.
I trust in the artistic style and talent of Robert.

That's my opinion!

Jimmy Vee
Ventriloquist, Mentalist, Hyper active!
Orlando, Fl

[/quote]
I second this as well. I qwn a Mcray and it is a work of art!!
My list would include:

Tim Selberg- who is everybody's favorite because of his great figures and mechanics...

Steve Axtell- who makes adorable soft puppets... probably the best in the Universe...

Conrad Hartz- who according to a lot of people makes quality wood figures and I agree...

Kem Poyner-who stands beside his great work...

Dan Payes- who is so easy to talk to and he gives you exactly what you want...

Ony Carcamo- who remains to be discovered by his peers...
http://www.geocities.com/thepartyzoo/Carcamofigs.html

Mike Brose- who is very helpful and so friendly...and will make sure you get what you want...and suggests new stuff.

Thanks

Wanlu
Don't forget the "OTHER" Tim,
Tim Cowles of Dummyworks.

Great figures, very smooth controls and communicates well.

Donald Woodford
I have to echo Donald's comment on Tim Cowles. My figure, Dodger, is by Cowles and I love the way I can manipulate it. He also has a good, wise guy face, which suits the character I've given him.

Not to take anything away from the other great figure artists. Who wouldn't love to have a Selberg? Most of my figures are by Axtell (Vern, Charlie D. my orangutan, Flower the skunk, magic drawing board). I also have a nice shaggy dog by Mary Ann Taylor (MATpuppets.com).
Hi everyone,

I recently got a Basswood Selberg figure with winkers aside from the standard moving eyes and mouth...with Trigger Controls... :) IT'S SIMPLY A WORK OF ART.

Tim Selberg is really a great figure maker.

This is the reason why Im selling my "Bobby" Poyner figure...I simply cant afford to keep both :)

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Tower/2227/Selbergwood.JPG

BTW...my Dan Payes old man figure will be ready in a couple of weeks :)

will post some photos soon.

Thanks

Wanlu
Hello all fellow Vents,

I have been reading the previous blogs on Tim Selburg and am here to set the record straight on some things....
I ordered "The Old Coot" from him a few years back with the request to have the finger controls for a right handed person. After I informed him that he was not made correctly he informed me that it would be awhile before he could fix the problem. SO I decided to try and get used to using him on my left side. After not being happy with the results of trying to re learn all over again I decided that for all the money I paid for him that Tim should correct the situation. Tim told me to send him back. After numerous e-mails, phone calls and informing him that I am tired of all his broken promises he finally said the head was fixed and sent the head back after having it for 22 months. You can imagine that I was excited to get it back being that I thought I may never see it again. Well when I opened the box It was the continuation of a several year ordeal to resolve this issue. The head he sent is still for a left handed person.... Can you believe it. After inpecting it closer I realized that this head had a tearing eye feature, when my other one had a spitter feature. Oooops.... Now how do you explain this? Instead of fixing my original he gave me another one. Only problem was he forgot that the original reason why I sent the other one back is because the finger controls were wrong. They were made for a left handed person (Just like this one.) I guess he forgot why I sent it back.... of course I can see that because he had sat on it for 22 months. I am just giving a heads up to any one thinking of ordering a vent figure from him. This blog is not discrediting the quality of his work but to say that you may not get what you ordered. Also be prepared to wait and wait and wait and wait... get my point? So far I hav not seen him make good on the figure I ordered.
Hello All Fellow Vents,

I want to be fair and follow up with my previous posting. If you read my posting on Tim Selberg I was very angry the day that I wrote that. That was the day that I got my vent figure back after waiting for 22 monts to have the triggers installed properly that were incorrently configured on my original order. Please understand that I am not one to normally gripe and complain but the time involved with months and months of e-mails finnally took their toll on my emotions. To be fair I just received an e-mail from Tim with his apology of the mix up in heads and that he would promise me a date of when to expect the new one. I will continue to keep you up on this.
What you went through was understandable...you waited for 22 months!!! and when you finally got it, it was still unfixed! Wow!!! What a horror story...is it Halloween already!?

In any case, I'm confident Tim Selberg will fix this problem soon :) His reputation as a figure maker preceeds him...along with a reputation concerning long waits for a figure...but that's the price of wanting a quality figure from a great figure maker :) If you wait...it will come!!! :)

I wish I can afford a Selberg figure in the future.
I recently had the good fortune to buy a Selberg granny that had never been used by the original purchaser. so I got it right away. Now, I want to buy a Selberg case for her. I e-mailed, I called, I e-mailed, I called and left messages, etc., etc. Never heard back.

It must be nice to be so rich that you don't even have to return the calls of people who want to buy something from you.

B
Selberg's kind of customer's service (or unservice!) is infamous to the vent community. But despite that many are still wanting to get his figures. It's because his work is really great. I have one and I'm pleased with it.

However, back to the original topic of this thread... I believe among who make the best figures NOW are Conrad Hartz, Robert McRay, and Alan Semok.

If I'd have only one figure NOW created by A LIVING FIGURE MAKER, I'd go to Hartz.
Look at this :)

Check out the comments :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0zd1E0bQY

I hope Tim will addres the problems regarding his figures' mechanics. He's a generous man and Im sure he will fix your figures' problems :)
If anyone is interested in owning a Robert McRay Bighead (he has stopped making them), I have one of McRay's first three, hand carved basswood figures for sale.
Deeder is a country boy with side to side self centering eyes, blinkers and moving mouth. Head, hands and feet are basswood. Bill Nelson, the famous figure painter enhanced the paint job to give Deeder even more character.

To check it out go to:
http://tinyurl.com/389l53
(Ventriloquist MarketPlace)

Since Robert just auctioned off his remaining figures as a grouping - this may be one of the few opportunities to get your hands on a true Bighead figure!
Tom
Id like to add Mary Ann Taylor, Ivan Pavlov and Verna Finley to the list :) makers of Soft Puppets :)