(Close Window)
Topic: Technique of making coin shell
Hi,

Had anyone try ever try to make coin shell by using milling machine or finishing by both hands?
Milling Machine must be the key to the shell and I am wondering the process of making such stuffs.

Btw, can wait for my new lathe to build further gimmick¬
Then you will like this information from James P. Riser, go here: http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html Scroll down to "For the Do It Yourself Magician" and buy the PDF by this machine craftsman expert.
Shell coins are expanded to fit over a standard coin. This is done by a spinning process on a metal lathe. The coin is hels in a collet and machined out to create the cavity. It is then expanded by spinning it (forcing the edge to stretch out a bit)
[quote]
On 2014-01-15 01:50, Paul_Rheaume wrote:
Shell coins are expanded to fit over a standard coin. This is done by a spinning process on a metal lathe. The coin is hels in a collet and machined out to create the cavity. It is then expanded by spinning it (forcing the edge to stretch out a bit)
[/quote]

Don't know where you got this information, but that is not how a shell is made.
Thanks for the Link. I just visited James Riser's DIY page and it is awesome.
[quote]
On 2014-01-15 12:54, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-15 01:50, Paul_Rheaume wrote:
[/quote]

Don't know where you got this information, but that is not how a shell is made.
[/quote]

Did you see the Expanded Half Dollars made in the 1960's, they were expanded as stated by Paul. It was not until Johnson Products came out with their coins that the lower edge of coin was not stretched out. When the shell was placed on a regular half, the lower half edge could be seen.

Back then depending on your needs you could use the shell coin with reduced half dollar or an expanded half. See Bobo Coin Magic for description and use with routines. Now a days, the shell with reduced coin is no longer made, as the new expanded shells are so well they will withstand close use with spectators.
Jim has some great stuff on his website but I found nothing on making an expanded shell. I may have missed it. Are there any instructional resources that anyone knows of?