(Close Window)
Topic: Pay attention at the gas station...
I just became aware of this. They seem to prey on women, but I'd think men could be just as vulnerable with any valuables in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkghjJ55BU

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/sliders.asp
Wow! Thanks for the warning, Bob1Dog.
I always thought I was paranoid for locking my car when pumping gas.

I guess just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

-Mary Mowder
Happened to my girlfriend.
I guess people just don't expect thieves to be so bold as to do such things. It remind me of Erdnase: Finding the moment etcetera. It is not so much about paying attention but what you are paying attention to.
I saw this report about "sliders" on the news. I drive a big weird-looking van with very few windows. I might get a recording of a bigass dog barking, and just play it when I'm in similar positions. It might not stop them all, but I sure bet it would narrow the pack.
The victims must be on pot or something and in a world of their own, so they will be happy anyway. :)
I'm not too sure I'd be so quick and judgemental as to blame all the victims for the ethical decisions of thieves.

Nor to blame natural trust to cannibis use.

At any rate, Bob, thanks for the heads-up. I would be an easy victim as I would never suspect such a bold hit-and-run ploy at a gas station.
I'm sure no one was being so judgemental as to blame all the victims for the ethical decisions of thieves but simply pointing out that being would not matter if you were happy in on drugs and such can take you away from your goods and how goods can taken from you. Which is nothing to do with ethical decisions of thieves or pot heads. It simply pointing how the sharps can take from the flats are away. When the cat is away the mice will play.
Why do you have to pump your own gas? It's against the law here. :)
Self service saves the owners money I guess. Very few things were self service back before the 60s or so. It's hard to think of two things at the same time and many thefts happen when peoples minds are on serving themselves, in supermarkets etcetera. Women have hand bags and leave them in their trolleys and so on.
[quote]
On 2013-12-16 15:46, Kevin Connolly wrote:
[/quote]
Only in Joisey! :)
[quote]
On 2013-12-16 14:33, Michael Baker wrote:
I saw this report about "sliders" on the news. I drive a big weird-looking van with very few windows. I might get a recording of a bigass dog barking, and just play it when I'm in similar positions. It might not stop them all, but I sure bet it would narrow the pack.
[/quote]
I love the barking dog idea Michael!
[quote]
On 2013-12-16 14:46, tommy wrote:
The victims must be on pot or something and in a world of their own, so they will be happy anyway. :)
[/quote]
More likely drunk, trying to pay off their gambling debts. ;)
Looks like Moscow have run out of happy pills

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25407284

:)
[quote]
On 2013-12-16 17:52, Bob1Dog wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-12-16 15:46, Kevin Connolly wrote:
[/quote]
Only in Joisey! :)
[/quote]

And Oregon.
[quote]On 2013-12-16 15:46, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Why do you have to pump your own gas? It's against the law here. :)[/quote]
I lived in NW New Jersey (Allamuchy) for 18 months in 1993/1994. The first time I stopped to get gas, I pulled up to the pump, hopped out of the car, opened up the cap, and started to grab for the nozzle. You'd have thought that the attendant had been shot out of a cannon: he ran up yelling that I wasn't allowed to do that and had to stop RIGHT NOW!

New Jersey's an . . . um . . . interesting place.
Funny that came up, since I just got back from Portland. It felt so old-timey having my gas pumped for me, though they didn't check my oil or offer to wash my windshield.
[quote]
On 2013-12-16 21:51, critter wrote:
Funny that came up, since I just got back from Portland. It felt so old-timey having my gas pumped for me, though they didn't check my oil or offer to wash my windshield.

[/quote]

At chevrons in portland they offer to wash your windows now. I feel like Marty Mcfly in 1955.
It just annoys me.
I wish I'd gone to Chevron instead of Fred Meyer now. After almost 400 miles of driving my windows could have used some cleanin'.
Some of these comments remind me of a thread here last summer perhaps where some folks couldn't understand why gas station attendants deserve tips. If they work for them, that is.

Off topic, I know, but I started it, so I'll permit strays. :)