(Close Window)
Topic: 80's new wave stars today
Imagine strains of Auld Lang Syne playing eerily in the background.

http://djrioblog.com/2013/11/26/new-wave-artists-aging-gracefully-an-80s-world-gone-by/
Great link, Michael! Thanks for sharing.

I'm proud to say that, in my heyday, I performed and recorded with; shared the same bill with; met and hung out with; or partied with at least 17 of those acts.

"Should old acquaintance be forgot ..." etc. etc.
Pretty darn cool to see what they look like today. Some look better, some a little worse for wear.
Thanks for sharing Michael.
Bob.
Those who engage in such puffery show their ignorance so often! This is no different an occasion. Lets gaze at the aged rockstars while the author shares his ignorance with us. First off, while most of those shown are of little or no consequence on the music scene anymore, one of those bands is still a mega grossing current hit band. Second, let me show you how ignorant I am by showing the same band twice. Can YOU spot them?

What rubbish!
Bowie, Ferry, Idol and The Police were the only I recognised, going through them quick like. The only ones I could name anyway. I mean, some faces rang a bell but I couldn't name them.
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 00:01, Tom Cutts wrote:
Those who engage in such puffery show their ignorance so often! This is no different an occasion. Lets gaze at the aged rockstars while the author shares his ignorance with us. First off, while most of those shown are of little or no consequence on the music scene anymore, one of those bands is still a mega grossing current hit band. Second, let me show you how ignorant I am by showing the same band twice. Can YOU spot them?

What rubbish!
[/quote]
I guess I missed something, somewhere, as I thought it was just a nice collection of current photos for fans. I did not think the author was trying to insult any of the bands, or mocking how they look or anything.

Several of the bands listed are still current. I wonder which one you single out as being a mega grossing hit band? I believe many of them are still performing. A friend of mine recently saw Pet Shop Boys perform at a sold out show in Montreal, and he said it was a great concert. I know that Madness is still performing (I'm on their fan email list) ... last year they performed in what I think was a world wide simulcast (celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee). According to the papers, The Specials have a fair shot at having a #1 hit in Britain this Christmas. AFAIK, U2 is still performing (though I do not really follow them, so I may be mistaken). Which group were you thinking of?

Curious which band was listed twice. I did not spot it. I think several of the bands listed shared members, as one band quit and another reformed. Or did they list the same band, after it changed its name to something else?
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 00:36, tommy wrote:
Bowie, Ferry, Idol and The Police were the only I recognised, going through them quick like. The only ones I could name anyway. I mean, some faces rang a bell but I couldn't name them.
[/quote]
I recognized, geez, probably over 80% of the bands. I feel old. :)
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 02:00, balducci wrote:

I recognized, geez, probably over 80% of the bands. I feel old. :)

[/quote]

I recognized maybe 75% at best. Funny thing to me was that most 80's bands became popular after I had kind of already settled in on the music of "my generation", if it's fair to say that the music one listens to in their teens is probably the most formative for most people.

Considering then that many band members are typically in their twenties when their band makes its name in the industry, the bands one typically follows has members that are approximately 10-15 years older then they themselves are. So, when I see these "new wave" rockers, many of whom I am very familiar with, I soon realize that most of these musicians are my age or a little younger.

Anyway, it is easy to see myself in them. Although some are currently still "of consequence on the music scene", many of these bands were hotter then, than they are now. I don't hear it so often anymore that I'm hot, either. That makes ME feel old.
Gosh Michael, I'll be playing music all night. Lots of old favorites there.

The biggest surprise for me was Kate Bush who I don't think I've seen a picture of since Wuthering Heights - I doubt the shopw is popular in the US but English readers will understand - she looks a little like the Vicar of Dibley.
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 01:58, balducci wrote:
I guess I missed something, somewhere, as I thought it was just a nice collection of current photos for fans. I did not think the author was trying to insult any of the bands, or mocking how they look or anything.
[/quote]I guess my reaction is more to the all too common collections like these labeled "Where are they now?"

Some photos required songs in their description because the band name was seemingly so obscure. Which by the way, had no rhyme or reason to me, a well versed 80s music fan.

But when one ignores completely any detail about the people in the photos, one runs the risk of creating a gawk at this file created by someone who likely knew nothing about the people in the shots other than naming their band or one hit. When one includes Split Enz and Crowded House as though they were two different bands, one shows the level of interest and knowledge about the subject they have.

All those things point to this being little more than a call to come see the aged musicians, while ignoring the contributions some in that collection continue to make to the music which is very current.

And you can add to the list of bands who can still bring it, STYX. Saw them a few years ago and they still rock the house. Was so happy to see them because they were slightly before my concert going days.
The only person I liked from that list was Laurie Anderson and I did meet her once. I never liked the pop music of the 80's.
OK, at the risk of being accused of blatant self-adoration, here's a video of me playing keyboards with John Waite (another 1980's one hit wonder, who is also still performing).

The video was filmed for the TV show Solid Gold, in front of a live studio audience. Right at the beginning, to the right as the camera pans away, you can just barely see the outline of our host, Dionne Warwick, after she introduced us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzKij_r20Y
It took 3 minutes for the powder to kick in.
Before that, he needed a rocket shoving up his jacksy.
Nice manicured hands at the start though Arthur. ;)
Split enz and Crowded house the same band Tom ?
That's like saying Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath, were the
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
Cool stuff, Arthur Stead.

On the list, I thought it was cool that Bowie's been recording since the 1960s and he still looks amazing.
Bauhaus is my favorite on the list.
Loved looking through the pics. I didn't recognize a lot of them but since I loved MTV when it first hit the airwaves and my wife and I and the kids would watch it pretty much on a daily basis I did recognize a lot that performed there. I missed seeing Pat Benatar on the list who is pretty much amazing looking.

Some aging gracefully, some fantastically, and some ... not so much.

Did anyone watch Bands Reunited on VH1 back in 2004? The premise was to find band members from bands that had separated and try and get them together for a one time performance. They were successful in pulling together several bands that had separated on less than pleasant terms. Was great fun. Here they list all the bands that appeared on the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bands_Reunited
Rockwall! Cool, welcome back.
Thanks Tommy.
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 15:39, arthur stead wrote:
OK, at the risk of being accused of blatant self-adoration, here's a video of me playing keyboards with John Waite (another 1980's one hit wonder, who is also still performing).

The video was filmed for the TV show Solid Gold, in front of a live studio audience. Right at the beginning, to the right as the camera pans away, you can just barely see the outline of our host, Dionne Warwick, after she introduced us.

[/quote]

I love the jacket, Arthur!
Lol! That was sweet Artur! Thank you! I loved Solid Gold, and in my time John Waite was huge. He was at [i]least[/i] a TWO hit wonder! Very cool. It must feel so good to have had your passion for music take you so many places and introduce you to so many people. I'm in awe.
[quote]

[/quote]

Ha! Thanks for sharing.
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 19:22, Ray Tupper. wrote:
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
[/quote]if you know your history, and I do because I am a huge Split Enz fan and a fan of the Finn Brothers, then you would know better. The very first incarnation of Crowded House comprised only one member who was not a Split Enz and that had only one Finn brother. I know, I saw them on that first tour before their hit really broke. 75% of that show was pure Enz for a reason. And if you know the history you know that where one brother goes, the other eventually shows up.

So no, it's nothing like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath. It's its own thing.
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 21:47, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Late to the party on is but.. Do you still have the jacket?
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 23:52, Tom Cutts wrote:
[quote]
same band.
[/quote]if you know your history, and I do because I am a huge Split Enz fan and a fan of the Finn Brothers, then you would know better. The very first incarnation of Crowded House comprised only one member who was not a Split Enz and that had only one Finn brother. I know, I saw them on that first tour before their hit really broke. 75% of that show was pure Enz for a reason. And if you know the history you know that where one brother goes, the other eventually shows up.

[/quote]
I know a bit about them.
Enough to know the one odd member made up a third of crowded house, as they were a trio. Split ends/enz had about five or six members.
Also, they'd hardly had any time to write new/enough material to last a live appearance, so they had to use split enz material.
I may not be as huge a fan as yourself but, I'd still class them as two different bands.
Arthur Stead,

Thank you for sharing that - wonderful - I would have watched that back then - always looked forward to Solid Gold on a Sunday afternoon here in Australia.

Poor old Split Enz - famous again for all the wrong reasons recently - the son of their drummer became our most infamous vicious troll and Dad spirited him off to En Zed (New Zealand) to protect him from consequences.

Dad also defended his actions which seemed rather unSplitEnzish.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/unmasked-tristan-barker-australias-worst-internet-troll-being-investigated-by-police/story-e6frfrnr-1226589087674
[quote]
[quote]
same band.

[/quote]

Regardless of who the members are or were, it seems to me that if they changed the name and changed at least some of the members, it's logical to consider it two different bands. I mean, come on, why else would they change the name? At the very least, I wouldn't think it worth the trouble of berating someone for considering it to be two separate bands at that point.
Brian Setzer still packs them in no matter which band he brings. I saw him last year with his Rock a Billy Riot band and several years ago with The Brian Setzer Orchestra. I've also heard nothing but good things about his Stray Cat's shows as well.
Bob.
[quote]
On 2013-12-17 21:47, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, Bob! In those days, when we arrived in a new town and there was free time in the afternoon, I used to go to the shopping malls. That's where I found most of my stage gear - usually in women's clothing stores! It also gave me a chance to invite some of the pretty salesgirls to the show that night!

Tom: Alas, that jacket is no more.

Ray: I may have looked like a sissy, but I've never had a manicure in my life!

All you other guys: Thanks for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed the clip.

If you fellows REALLY want to see a "then and now" contrast, scroll down the "About" page on my website:

http://www.arthurstead.com/About_Us.htm
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Dec 18, 2013 06:36PM)
That is one thing I definately miss from the 80's....THE HAIR!!

My heart goes out to Peter.

Mark
Great pics and video, Arthur! A true Hair Band celebrity!!
Those were some great bands to see and dance to in the day. Those were some fun times. Still albums and DVDs by a good number of them.
Some of Peter Murphy's more recent stuff is great. The Cure was the first concert I ever went to.
[quote]
On 2013-12-18 09:24, rockwall wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
same band.

[/quote]

Regardless of who the members are or were, it seems to me that if they changed the name and changed at least some of the members, it's logical to consider it two different bands. I mean, come on, why else would they change the name? At the very least, I wouldn't think it worth the trouble of berating someone for considering it to be two separate bands at that point.
[/quote]Yes, because no one ever changes band names to avoid legal complications from the previous name and its entanglements. And bands never have members come and go. Should they be considered different bands every time members come and go?

And you now what, I saw the Finn Bros doing warm up shows for a tour which later turned into a Crowded House tour I believe. Guess what, they played their hits and favorites from their Enz days. So you can split hairs all you want. The membership of Crowded House and Split Enz during their popular days was VERY similar, and the style of the music was a logical progression. It is in essence one band which evolved and changed its name to leave behind the complications connected with that name.
[quote]
On 2013-12-18 20:37, Tom Cutts wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-12-18 09:24, rockwall wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
same band.

[/quote]

[/quote]
And you now what, I saw the Finn Bros doing warm up shows for a tour which later turned into a Crowded House tour I believe.
[/quote]
Your belief is wrong.....Check your history.
I thought one of the Finns started Crowded House, and the other joined sometime later?
You are correct, Destiny. Similar but not the same as how Split Enz ran.