(Close Window)
Topic: Horizon Matthew Wright
This close to release.... following on from Matts Fourseen, Nut Dropper and Final destination this is the latest from Murphys Magic. Horizon availble 31st/12/13

Ive been lucky enough to play with this and its one word Amazing
Ill post vids soon as
s
What is it?
Hey guys!

Murphy's has posted a couple sneek peaks on their Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/h3-2FyjwYs/

http://instagram.com/p/hzG0YADwdW/

-Kyle
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Dec 16, 2013 11:32PM)
I have his wallet which is very good. I'll have to check this out.
Looks similar to his coins across, always thought this would be good for cards. Really interested in learning more about this. Looks like some fantastic magic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EehlBRSI8
This is the full video trailer. Very excited to finally bring this to market.
It is a develoment from my Final Destination coin set but much much more verstatile. Any questions guys I am here to help!

Cheers,

Matthew
It's a shame matthew isn't doing the instruction.
I have Fourseen, cant afford Final Destination WHAT IS NUT DROPPER!?!
Hi Paisa,
This is Nutdropper:
http://www.marvelous-fx.com/marvelous-nut-dropper/

If you liked the idea of Final Destintion but was put off by the price then Horizon could be perfect for you. It gives you the same earrie float but now you can use a borrowed deck of cards and do a "haunted pack" but do it Horizon style effect where the card not only moves in the deck but floats right out and into your waiting hand....

or have money float from your wallet into your hand. Have the box open itself and float right off the cards, or put a deck back into the box and have a selected card float right up and out of the box.

Anything that is "light"enough to float can be done. I have even had some mobile phones going!

It really does look like magic.
WOW... nice one Mr Wright !.. this does look very good... nice bit of “real magic”.. love it ! :D... releasing before blackpool ?
It is up for pre release right now. They are made, ready and in stock at the wholesales now and will be shipping to your local dealer very soon.
You can order today for delivery starting 31st Dec.
Matthew, I don't do coins, so this is super exciting. Ive let it been known that I feel levitations and pk effects are some of the strongest pieces of magic you can do, and this is up there for sure. looking very good
Is all completely examinable? Is this impromptu in the truest sense of the word?
Is it examinable.......yes.

You can borrow a deck, float a card and then hand the card and the deck straight back to the spectator.
You can float a note straight out of your wallet into your hand and give it away immediately to pay. You could probably even hand out your wallet afterwards....but I don't think I ever would.

Is it impromptu? In the truest sense of the word?
I am not exactly sure what that means....... You need the special something to do the trick and if you don't have it you cant do it.....so I guess the answer to that would be no. But I have included as well as the actual gimmick other things that mean you can get in and out of the trick easily. You can use with a jacket, short sleeves, jeans...whatever you want.

SOME effects could do with the help of a PK ring....but not all and it isn't 100% necessary but is advised.

Hope that helps
So this isn't real magic? haha.
Message: Posted by: DOMINOSTREETMAGIC (Dec 17, 2013 04:53PM)
Hi Matthew is this available for pre ordering the UK?
It is available in the UK yes. I am in the UK and have them in stock ready for shipping on the 31st. All your local dealers should have then very soon and should also be able to ship on the 31st.
Gaz thanks for the kind words but I couldn't be more thrilled to have Eric Jones doing the instruction for Horizon. We wanted this to be a top end product and Eric knows better than anyone how to give detailed accurate instruction. I didn't want to leave anything to chance.
You should see the Metal series. He drops coins all over the shop! Heh heh :)
So it is the first shipping day of Horizon today and all those who have ordered from me have just been sent. Thanks for your support and I look forward to hearing some reviews.
To celebrate here are some bonus live performances of one of my favourite effects possible with Horizon. I call it Haunted Horizon and it is my take on the haunted deck. Remember this can be any borrowed shuffled deck. Hope you enjoy it. My personal favourite bit is the reaction from the guy on the third video in ..called powerful magic. It's very rare a card trick can created such an emotional response.

http://vimeopro.com/user4973687/horizon-live
Is this available from 19 effects ?
It should be available from all dealers. I personally am not involved with 19effects anymore.
My webshop is http://www.marvelous-fx.com
This looks great I will be picking this up his stuff is brilliant and we'll thought out

K
This looks great. I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.
Matthew, that just looks beautiful. Can't wait to work with this.
Matthew thanks a lot for the quick reply. Oh I will be getting this. Final destination is beautiful and in my eyes the ultimate finale to a 3 fly routine. But yeah a not steep for me and my normal surroundings. Horizon however looks just as epic and if I can do it close up and in short sleeves, I'll be getting it.
There are no worries with short sleeves. Take a look at the live videos here:

I only ever perform in short sleeves.
WoW Matthew I am sold. Ordering this now.
How practical /easy is this to get into and out of during a performance to continue with other routines
Getting in and out of the routine was the challenge for this project and I spent many months working on a solution. Some of you may remember me posting news of Horizon on here back in March. The gimmick was ready to go at that point. What has taken a further 6 months to making it practical for everyday use.

The floating note from wallet effect is always ready to go and is self contained in your wallet. No problems.

For Haunted Horizon......one time get in and out is simple and won't be a problem at all. You can easily finish clean with only a minor clean up using the gimmick provided.
If you are walkaround and want to do at every table then a five second reset will be needed but it can be done whilst putting a pen away in your pocket for example.
Personally I would use this as an opener but it is definitely possible to do mid routine without any real issues.
Ok, without giving anything away you managed to be very honest and helpful with your last post. I applaud that, ive been a fan since you DVD, from there went and got your Fourseen and Love it enough to give a few other effects that I use to do with the real mans wallet. Loved Final Destination but in my everyday life I couldn't use it without damage. And now Horizon looks like something I will get a lot of fun out of.
I went ahead and pre ordered this. I havent pre ordered any thing in a long time but this just looks great and I love matthew wright products.
Hi Matthew,
Great effect but will I need to wear anything additional such as a ring to do it?
Thanks,
Dean
[quote]
On 2014-01-02 17:53, deanbarlow wrote:
Hi Matthew,
Great effect but will I need to wear anything additional such as a ring to do it?
Thanks,
Dean
[/quote]

that's what I want to know, looks great, but if I have to purchase additional props on top of the cost of Horizon?
On the ad copy in the below link it does say: "Please note, some effects may require the use of a PK ring."

http://www.tasteofmagic.co.uk/horizon-by-matthew-wright/
A PK ring is recommended for SOME of the effects.

There are ways around buying a PK ring if you wanted to perform this without any extra cost or to practise it before committing to buying one. The ring does not need to be a magnet....it only needs to be attracted to a magnet. I have done gigs where I have forgotten my PK ring and instead I took my keys off my keyring and just slipped my keyring ring on my finger and it's worked fine.
Wearing a plaster on your finger with a magnet inside also works well.

A PK ring is the best answer though for the effects that need it.

Other effects (such as "Cash flow't) where a note floats out of the wallet, do not need anything at all.........apart from a wallet

......and a note.
Here are a few bonus routines for all those who have bought Horizon. I know a few of you have already received them.

http://vimeopro.com/user4973687/horion-bonus-videos
I been tossing up which to purchase out of the following two, Horizon or Haunted 2.0. I been saving for the past two weeks. I always wanted Haunted 2.0, but than this came along.

Watching your videos, can you perform the tricks shown in your video you just posted without having the card or card box shaking side to side as soon they emerge?
For such a clever and unique item, its a little annoying to see eric jones demonstrate the set-up for wearing a jacket, by not wearing a jacket and asking you to imagine that he's wearing one... just seems a bit silly... borrow a jacket from someone mr. jones..nip to a charity shop and grab one on the day of shooting...a minor point, but c'mon now...

other than that - well taught, a very interesting set-up/gimmick... and I'll have a mess around with it over the weekend...

@phillipsart - if you've never used any like this before, and you just want to animate a card coming out of the deck, I would say get the haunted effect, or maybe rasmus' version (use the search function for more details)...as this, though by no means difficult, is a little more involved than a self-contained haunted deck...
Iain I own a SPP. And all of Steve Fearsons T##@ds. Levitation is my favorite tricks to perform.

haunted 2.0 because it don't use th#@#d, as far as I know it does not is what interests me the most with tnat trick.

Horizon looks great. I love how you can levitate a card or note from card pack to your hands and what I love tne most is the slow speed this is performed, but from what I can see so far, I don't like how the card jiggles from sided to side as it emerges. To me it looks like its hanging from something at that moment.
I think if you can get this to emerge without the shaking it would be brilliant.
Phillip, have you seen the original live performances I put up?

There is no wobble on these performances at all.
I hope you enjoy.
[quote]
On 2014-01-03 18:26, matthew wright wrote:
Phillip, have you seen the original live performances I put up?

There is no wobble on these performances at all.
I hope you enjoy.
[/quote]

Now, that is brilliant. :)

Three guys in the pub found some different magic at the end, going to be tough to beat that one. The guy in the 3rd video, I didn't know if he was going to clobber you or faint. Luckily he didn't do either.
Like I said in previous threads The man is a genius. Who has this in the States?
I have this on pre order from MJM. Not sure when I will be getting it.
Hey guys!

I reviewed Horizon in the latest Unwrapped, let me know what you think.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=527339&forum=218&80&start=60#19

-Kyle
Hi Matt,
Will you be taking this to Blackpool this year?
Dean
I would get horizon just for what kyle did. when and where can we purchase this? I just saw more performance, def gonna get this,
Hi Cricketer15 there is a link on this thread on page 1 for where it can be purchased from :)
Hey Dean, yes I will have it at Blackpool.
Cricketer, all the dealers should have them by now.
I see you are in Australia. I am pretty sure Gary at Hey Presto in Sydney should have some.
If not you can order directly from me.
[quote]
On 2014-01-05 14:48, matthew wright wrote:
I see you are in Australia. I am pretty sure Gary at Hey Presto in Sydney should have some.
[/quote]

sweet, will contact them today.
[quote]
On 2014-01-05 20:22, cricketer15 wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-05 14:48, matthew wright wrote:
[/quote]

sweet, will contact them today.
[/quote]

I'm about to do the same thing. :)
Called Hey Presto in Sydney, No Stock,
He was not sure if it had been released, seams to think it's not released.

Might have to order directly of you Matthew.
[quote]
On 2014-01-05 23:40, phillipsart wrote:

[/quote]

Darn I could have picked it up today in store if they had stock. Website it is or May asked when they might get stock
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 00:03, cricketer15 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Darn I could have picked it up today in store if they had stock. Website it is or May asked when they might get stock
[/quote]

He told me on the phone, once it's released it will be a week or two before he has stock.

I was under the impression that this is released from what I read here.

Worries me ordering online here, because from what is reported on the news here, The US is having one of there worst if not worst Winter ever and flights are grounded. I can't imagine what this must be doing to the postal system in the US.
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 00:47, phillipsart wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 00:03, cricketer15 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He told me on the phone, once it's released it will be a week or two before he has stock.

I was under the impression that this is released from what I read here.

Worries me ordering online here, because from what is reported on the news here, The US is having one of there worst if not worst Winter ever and flights are grounded. I can't imagine what this must be doing to the postal system in the US.
[/quote]

yeah but fortunately, Matthews website is in the UK, so he will be posting from UK. 3 pound postage price is not bad not sure how long it will get here though
I did not know that he is from the UK. That's good to know and good for us.

How long it takes to reach us, It varies. Most orders from UK arrive in a week or two but I had a few orders that taken well over a month. I'm not sure what postage system his using. I wonder if he offers a faster option than what's given on his website? I don't mind spending a few dollars more, if I know it will arrive a lot quicker.
I'll look into it for you but things to Australia usually take 7-10 days from my experience.
I am pretty sure Murphysnhave started shipping to the dealers.
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 07:07, matthew wright wrote:
I'll look into it for you but things to Australia usually take 7-10 days from my experience.
I am pretty sure Murphysnhave started shipping to the dealers.
[/quote]

thanks Matthew, I will wait to hear back from you before I place an order in regards to a quicker postage service, also do you by any chance sell the pk ring? I will be back here in apx 8 or so hours, its late here, bed time.
Btw do we need a PK ring to do the stuff Matthew did in the videos?
Postage to Australia for me will be an extra £8 and will take 7 days.
You need a Pk ring for so,e of the effects yes but unfortunately I don't sell them.
Just now ordered from Penguin. Hopefully have it by Friday. This looks great.
[quote]
On 2014-01-06 12:48, matthew wright wrote:
Postage to Australia for me will be an extra £8 and will take 7 days.
You need a Pk ring for so,e of the effects yes but unfortunately I don't sell them.
[/quote]

How is the best way for me to proceed with this order Matthew? with the faster postage option.
This question is a bit late, as I have already ordered this, but I was wondering if you use this for a bill from wallet, can you hand out the bill? I am thinking this would be a really fun way to ask for a discount on a purchase.
kj
Yes, you can hand out the bill...
You can definitely hand out the bill and if you get change you can reset with that almost instantly
Penguin Magic has it and it qualifies for PENGUIN FLAT-PACK™ (World-wide free shipping)

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3945
Weird. When I ordered last night I didn't see the Flat Pack option. Oh well. Still worth it.
Hey guys,

I posted a Christmas video of me using Horizon on my Instagram on Christmas eve, thought I would share

http://instagram.com/p/iUQc8LIKB2/

-Kyle
Bought this off an Aussie online magic retailer, saved me exchange fee rates and shipping cost.
Yea................Mine says it will be here today. Cant wait tell the mail runs.
This would be a better trick if there was some way to prove to the audience that it's not a thread because I'm pretty sure everyone will suspect thread. It's not very deceptive.
There are a few ways to fix that, well that I see possible anyway.

Think of it as a psuedo explanation or extra phase for the coin that falls up, or an invisible palm routine, or a card to pocket routine.

There can be great uses, can't just think so linear on an effect.
I think the convincer comes from being able to instantly hand out whatever you have floated for examination or to keep as a souvenir.
I think the impossibility comes from the item coming out of something. The note is clearly hidden away inside the wallet before it floats out and is then immediately handed out. The card is freely chosen and handled by the spectator before being very fairly placed back into the deck from which it immediately floats back out. Again the card is immediately handed out for examination.

If the lighting is right the spectator can be a foot away and still not see any means of floating.

All floating effects using IT have the same concerns with regards to method , what Horizon allows you to do is animate The object in a totally unique and very magical way.
Mine will arrive today. I'm looking forward to the end of my work day so 5hat I can have some fun with this. I can't wait to leatn the hook up. I've been using IT for many years and have never seen these animations. Thanks for sharing this with us Matthew.
I am sure you will love playing with it.
The hook up is very organic and tactile.
It is very easy to get "in the zone" and forget you are using anything other than real magic. I have spent hours and hours practising with this and the time just flies!
I have spent the day practicing and floating...everything. I like it.
That's great to hear.
What have you been floating? As well as the normal cards, notes, card boxes etc I have had sunglasses, mobile phones and keys. I think there a re lots of possibilities.
All of the above. Maybe a takeout menu.
I also had bought it from last Monday from murphy's magic ... can't wait for this ... I am very excited about this ... I have always loved everything about the magic IT ... thanks Matthew Wright...
I have had a chance to play with this a bit and it is really great! The possibilities are endless.
kj
There is one thing that I think could have been thought through a bit more. That is that the key loop gets pulled into the loop and is then not easy to pull back out. The gimmick could have been designed a bit different so this would not happen.
KJ
Even with the little problem, this is still a great effect with great devices and very good explanations by Eric Jones. In spite of the little design issue, I would still HIGHLY recommend it as is.
KJ
HORIZON... NEW MAGIC EFFECT?????
See the book TRUCKI-CARTO-MAGIC by Dr. RAMON VARELA y JUAN Tamariz MARTEL.(published year 1970)

This effect that is found on pages 85 and 86 under the name "Flying Card" - "hand to hand" (since the effect can be done with the playing card, envelope or money) ... and the authors (Ramón Varela y Tamariz Martel ) EXPRESSLY inform the early description of the effect and its explanation: "Con ocasion del viaje fin de carrera a España del gran aficionado chilean Fernando Larraín, VARELA tuvo ocasion of charlar magic, throughout una mañana in their habitacion del hotel y ally of his brothers aprendió this cute efecto "

Again, it appears in a book dating from the year 1970 ...

New magic effect????...

KARDINI
Brazil
[quote]
On 2014-01-07 18:51, KyleMarlett wrote:
Hey guys,

I posted a Christmas video of me using Horizon on my Instagram on Christmas eve, thought I would share

http://instagram.com/p/iUQc8LIKB2/

-Kyle
[/quote]

Really enjpyed that.

Ona side note I keep reading about people thinking it is a thread. [b]IF THAT IS YOUR ISSUE THEN YOU NEED TO STOP DOING THREAD WORK!!![/b]

Im serious, its your job to sell them that you are doing something special, not the effect. I stopped making things float for long periods years ago for that reason. Instead I started to make things move little by little then I could make things stay in the air for a few seconds but I stopped making it seem like its floating. More like a tilt your head what the heck did I just see moment. Like haunted deck. DO people really think its a thread? That cant be a thread, How can a thread do all that is what you want to sell them. Not where is the thread.

Sorry just had to vent a bit.
Thankyou for your post kardini
I am not familiar unfortunately with the reference you provided and to be fair it does seem like quite an obscure book in Spanish/Portuguese?

I did a fair amount of research and due diligence for this release and was in contact with some very trusted historians on magic and with their help earliest reference to this I could find was John Carey and I have fully credit to him for his flying card.
I am happy to bow to your greater knowledge in your area of expertise and thankyou for letting me know.
It isn't always possible to fully credit everything especially when it is in a different language in a book published long before I was born...but if it is there it is there andfully deserved credit.

Having not seen it I cannot comment on whether the method are similar but I can only assume they are not.
I have created an extremely versatile gimmick thatallows instant hookup and unhooking involving some complex design and manufacture that makes everything extremely simple to use and user friendly

For those of you having trouble locating the th#%d oneit goes into the gimmick....think of it on the same way as a reel. Just hold your lipsclose to it and suck...it will pop straight out

L
Dear Matthew Wright,

I'm referring exclusively to the EFFECT, the MEANS ("modus operandi")and METHOD of flying... not to details.

I tried to attach here the image of the book cover but could not. You can search in Google IMAGES for "Truckycartomagia Tamariz" and will appear in first the book with cover illustration just of THIS EFFECT!! The book is not as dark as well, for it was written with the dual by Tamariz in 1970. Edition in spanish.

Sorry my bad english.

Cheers from Brazil,

KARDINI
It is a sad state when magicians are trying to catch or correct other magicians now with every effect released. I think that Horizon is a fantastic effect and I enjoy performing it. Horizon is also a lot of fun to practice. Great job Matthew Right for this effect. We appreciate you sharing this with us.
[quote]
On 2014-01-12 18:29, Cassidy001 wrote:
It is a sad state when magicians are trying to catch or correct other magicians now with every effect released.
[/quote]

It is?
Ouch!

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=Truckycartomagia+Tamariz&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TCfTUsaXEorvoASGy4GYBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=764#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=TzDW7SczO3GEnM%253A%3BbpB9Duhy0fIrHM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Factivos.publidisa.com%252Fportadas%252Fmax%252FPORTADA-LIBRO-SPB0131862-MAX.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Flibros.elmundo.es%252FTRUCKYCARTOMAGIA-JUAN-TAMARIZ-EDICIONES-MARRE-LibroEbook-ES-SPB0131862.html%3B455%3B648

Juan Tamariz isn't exactly "obscure" neither is the book.

This may have been published years ago but it's currently on the market: http://www.magicus.es/magia/product_info.php?cPath=138&products_id=1562

If you're not familiar with it Matthew, how do you know yours is any better? Or even different?
I am in Madrid as we speak and will be with some students of Tamariz this week so will look into it there.
It is surprising to me this is coming up now though. It has been part of my FISM winning, international winning, IBM winning and magic circle winning act since 2008 and I have never heard mention of it.
I first published this hook up in 2009 on the unusual suspect DVD through Alakazam
I spoke with my teacher Jeff McBride about it and he credited John Carney with the original hook up. I spoke with John who was happy for me to go ahead with it.
John published his floating card with this exact hook up back in the 80s. I am not claiming thing as far as creating the hook up. I have only used a published hook up and created a gimmick that allows for instant hookup and release.
I believe I did as much as I could as far as research was concerned speaking with many trusted and knowledgeable magicians. It looks like something was over looked by myself for the past five years since the first 2008 release by me and by others who have used it before. For this I apologise, but I am certain what you are getting with horizon it's not explained in any book.
As I say I will be in contact with friends of Tamariz this week
Dear Kardini and Matthew,

Chilean magician Fernando José Larraín de Toro (1958- ) is well known in Latin America. He is the son of Fernando Larrain Munita or Mago Larrain, deceased on June 17, 2011 (he was 76). Mago Larrain or Mago Helmut (as seen on TV) lost his ten year battle against prostate cancer. There was a school of magic named after him the "Escuela de Magia Mago Larrain" - http://www.msshow.cl/ - which was rebaptized as The Magic House. I suppose it is easy to check out the data and dissolve any doubts concerning the creation of the effect.
I didn't mean to imply Matthew copied the effect, I hope it didn't come off that way and I have no reason to suspect so.

I doubt that the Tamariz publication was first either. And the last time I saw John Carney do an IT trick it was the dancing skeleton. Skeletini?

Personally I see no point in crediting anyone for this. It seems like something that would have been done with a human hair soon after playing cards were invented.
It seems to me that most every effect is an evolution of something. Even if the mechanics of the effect are virtually identical, the fact of the matter is that Matthew Wrights release is very new to a large number of people. Also, the fact that it is presented in DVD, makes it much more effective for many to learn. Also, while Tamariz my not by any means be obscure, the book was written in 1970! That is over 30 years ago! I, for one, am glad to see someone produce this DVD that for me, and I'm sure many others, was very educational and inspirational.
KJ
Oh my god. They have things that look like the Ipad, and even the things we all drive and talk on. The world coming to a end. So tried of people on here trying to prove someones effect was someones else. If you dig deep enough all of magic has been done before. Get over it guys. this is a great effect he came up with. Lets not try to mess this one up also.
[quote]
On 2014-01-12 20:50, MR Effecto wrote:
Oh my god. They have things that look like the Ipad, and even the things we all drive and talk on. The world coming to a end. So tried of people on here trying to prove someones effect was someones else. If you dig deep enough all of magic has been done before. Get over it guys. this is a great effect he came up with. Lets not try to mess this one up also.
[/quote]

QFT.

also I should get mine delivered tommorow, hopefully.
I'm expecting mine this coming Thursday, Can't wait. Wish it was here now.
[quote]
On 2014-01-12 20:50, MR Effecto wrote:
If you dig deep enough all of magic has been done before.
[/quote]

That is not true. I agree most "new" effects are not new at all. Original magic is very hard to come by but there are new ideas out there.

I don't think they any of them involve cards though :)
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The Magic Café Latest and Greatest. Where Magicians can Speculate and Accuse for every effect to cause some drama in their lives. This is getting ridiculous.
Meanwhile back at the ranch... So heres hoping for a few more reviews this coming week. Cant wait to hear peoples thoughts on this. As waiting for shipment of mine, the excitement is too much!
I cannot believe sometimes how folk go on and on and on about things that are maybe similar from 19canteen. Straight ripoff I can understand people getting all tied up about, but sometimes, especially recently on here, some people seem to make it their duty to find some loose connection to a trick sometime in the anals of history. It has even gotten to the stage several times recently when different magicians have been accused of ripping off a trick, BEFORE anyone has it, but from the ad copy it SOUNDS like the description of another trick.... ridiculous. Some people would be HEAVILY advised to watch some of the accusations they throw about. If I was a creator and was accused in the same way some have been accused in here I would simply see them in court.

Anyway, back on topic........ For me, if it has Matthew Wrights name on it, buy it. I have everything he has done and never been let down. Just one disappointment in this, for me, is that he isn't the one doing the explanation. Why? Because I LOVE the way he teaches. One of the best teachers in magic I have seen. Second only to the creations themselves.

Mine is on its way and I cannot wait to get it.
Matthew seems like an honest guy, I am sure if it comes out that someone needs crediting he will do it. I don't believe he is the sort of person who will rip someone off.
At Blackpool last year he spent a lot of time with myself and others explaining various hangings and helping people he was not just interested in selling his stuff. Matthew doesn't know me and I have nothing to gain by writing this but I think that sometimes people on here get on their high horse and act as judge and jury. A pm to Matthew was all that was needed, but no they want to try to make a name for themselves and put it on an open forum. There is too much of this kind of thing going on.
As I said I have nothing to gain by writing this but if Matthew wants to send me a free Horizon that's fine lol
It's seems my Café account has disappeared since my last visit but I felt it was worth joining again to talk about Matthew Wright's "Horizon".
Where to start? I saw Matthew performing this a few months ago and was blown away! I had no clue how it was achieved and when I received one last week I was blown away by the method! This truly is a beautifully imagined and realised piece of magic. I've always been a little nervous about using IT but Horizon is so cleverly constructed that it's easy to use and, so far, seemingly impossible to break despite my amateur handling. It will take quite a bit of practise to really nail it but thankfully it's great fun to play with. Also, considering the custom gimmicks you receive Horizon is great value for money.
I would recommend getting a PK ring for this but it's not absolutely necessary.
I've had this for over a week now and I'm loving it. Its just so much fun to practice with. The gimmick is well made and will last a lifetime, the DVD is excellent and the extra routines on Matthew's website are well worth looking at. I've been using IT for a long long time but I'd never seen this before so thank you Matthew, for getting me to think in a completely different direction.

JamesH
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Jan 14, 2014 12:18AM)
Is the quality of the IT strong weak or average? Just curious.
Harry
Just got this in the mail, will watch DVD tonight
Harry the thread that comes with this is super strong.

I searched a long time trying to find it and have found nothing better.
It isn't the thinnest you will ever come across but I prefer the security of the strength knowing it well not breakand sacrificing some performances because of lighting conditions.
I recommend using either my own marvelous thread, Yigal Messikas thread of Steve Fearsons
Is it stretchy thread? I own all of Steves threads.
No. Not stretchy.
This is a must have if your into thread work. It kills. Did it last night and fried some laymen. Thanks Matthew.
As I understand, some effects needs a PK ring - is this included (I guess it's not)?
No P.K.ring is included. But you also don't need one.
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Jan 14, 2014 11:17AM)
Thank you for the reply Matthew.
Mr Effecto, that could read both ways in answer to the question.lol

Just to clarify...the PK ring is NOT included. But as has been said you don't need it for every effect, but for some it is recommended.
[quote]
On 2014-01-14 12:01, MR Effecto wrote:
[/quote]

no, yo udon't need one, unless you want to do all the effects. who wants to do everyone on a demo video? not me
Cassidy001 WROTE:

The Magic Café Latest and Greatest. Where Magicians can Speculate and Accuse for every effect to cause some drama in their lives. This is getting ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more. sorry to say: it makes a bad time out of an experience which should be fun... some of these guys are big-time downers...
[quote]
On 2014-01-14 12:01, MR Effecto wrote:
[/quote]

LOL. Sorry about that. I just re read this. There is no P.K. ring that comes with this but you don't need one unless you want to perform all the effects on the D.V.D.
Love the effect, Th£$%d work is one thing I've never really pursued but after seeing this performed by a friend, it convinced me to look a little closer at this side of magic. Already thought of multiple applications to improve my current routines.
Without revealing too much, the effects that uses a PK Ring, is it the ring that's important, or the magnet? Would it be possible to perform these effects with a non magnetic ring, or without a ring, but with a PK Blista? I have never done any effects with PK-items, but I think I would prefer the PK Blista over a ring, as I'm not wearing rings, which means I could not perform the effect for my friends (who know I never wear a ring).
I have actually bee using the gimmick that comes with Movemint. It works great.
[quote]
On 2014-01-15 14:35, djefvulen wrote:
Without revealing too much, the effects that uses a PK Ring, is it the ring that's important, or the magnet? Would it be possible to perform these effects with a non magnetic ring, or without a ring, but with a PK Blista? I have never done any effects with PK-items, but I think I would prefer the PK Blista over a ring, as I'm not wearing rings, which means I could not perform the effect for my friends (who know I never wear a ring).
[/quote]
I've been using a Blista but a ring would be more suitable in my opinion.
Send me a pm if you want details, I'd rather not expose too much on an open forum.
Think I might have actually found a use for my "Tarantula" with this and everything pulls back in at the end for a very easy clean up.
Can't wait... I think I should get mine delivered tommorow.... I'm so excited for this...
[quote]
On 2014-01-15 21:40, JamesH wrote:
Think I might have actually found a use for my "Tarantula" with this and everything pulls back in at the end for a very easy clean up.
[/quote]
You. Are. A. Genius! My Tarantula has just been collecting dust. Great idea.
Turned up in the post today, Just watched the DVD. I love it. When I first opened the DVD case and seen the gimmick, it was very confusing, once you watch the DVD it all makes sense.

I'm very impressed with this trick.

Well done Matthew and thanks for sharing this with us.
Really great reviews guys - congrats Matthew! I know some effects require the ring ans others don't, but am I right in saying that if I wanted to perform the floating card as Kyle and Matthew demoed, you would need the pk ring?
Thanks
Looks neat. Could the ring be replaced by something like a reel?
[quote]
[/quote]

I like this idea.
Prince you would need the pk ring, or it seems a pk blister....but I have never tried. I have used just a metal band from my key ring and it works just fine but perhaps,doesn't look too natural!

Let me know how the tarantula idea works out guys, it sounds very interesting
[quote]
[/quote]

Hey JamesH,

I own both Tarantula and Horizon but how do you want to use both together? I don't get it.
Do you want to replace the magnetic anchor by the Tarantula?

Cheers
Nikki
@Nikki78

Exactly that, replace the anchor with the Tarantula. The IT in the Tarantula is "locked off" at the correct length for the effect. The main problem is getting into the effect as cleanly as the brilliant way Matthew has provided and working with Tarantula IT is way harder to handle than Matthews. Its only an idea I'm playing with and by no means performance ready. Just liked the idea of everything retracting back into the hand at the end.
@James: ok, thanks mate. Maybe I'll also give it a try but at the moment I have to practise the basic handling :)

Cheers
Nikki
There's a bit of folded plastic in my package with some sort of a sticky stuff on it, Nothing is mentioned about this on the DVD tutorial that I can find. What is that? is it what you call Glue dot? I never seen glue dot before. I want to make sure I'm using this as it should be used.
Yesthose are the glue dots
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 19:57, matthew wright wrote:
Yesthose are the glue dots
[/quote]

Thanks Matthew. Sorry if it's a silly question, but I've never seen or used Glue Dots before, so I wanted to make sure I am doing this the correct way.

I shall now go back to putting the gimmick together and practice performing.
I just completed making the gimmick, that was not to hard at all. The gimmick is very easy to put together, It's a lot easier than it looks. I do have experience with thread work if that makes any difference. In saying that, I think anyone could put this together and perform the effects.
Is this to short, I mean the thread? I am wondering if I should make this a bit longer.

http://youtu.be/1nGHFSwYpzk
Looks great just maybe a tad longer.
It also looks good to see an Aussie Note!
I agree, it's nice to have a trick that works so great with an aussie note. I'm going to make up another one a bit longer.
I have remade the gimmick. Now it's probably to long. I do prefer this length over the first one I made up. I'll work with this for now and see how I go, I guess it's easy enough to shorten, not so easy to lengthen.

http://youtu.be/zceUYoMppEM
Personally I think the shorter one was better. If they are not convinced after that the note is floating another couple of inches won't convince them. Sometimes less is more. Nice. Vid.
Shorter is a little bit better, I agree.
That's not what she said..................
Ahhh, but it's how you perform that counts. At least that's what they tell me.... :)
Lol brilliant
I like this so much, I'm going to purchase another one and set it up in my wallet.
Question: For the effects on this DVD that require the use of a PK ring, would it be easier to wear the ring on your non-dominant hand that lets go of the object, your dominant hand which receives the floating object, or does it not really matter? Only reason I ask is because the PK ring I currently own only fits my non-dominant, so I'm wondering if I should order a new one. I'm sure the routine can be adapted to work either way, but basically my question is which hand would it be easier to have the ring on?
As you said, you can set it up for either direction, so it's really up to you. Personally, I think having the ring on the dominant hand feels a bit more normal, but I also think I could get used to it either way. And just so you know, the ring doesn't have to be a PK ring, but rather a ring that would be attracted to a magnet (ferro-magnetic). While most rings are not attracted to magnets, there are some things you can substitute. In a pinch, you could you a small key ring which is about 7/8" (outside diameter) if that fits. :)
Pretty disappointed. You need a PK ring for ALL the effects on the DVD. The gimmick is cheaply made so a PK ring or magnetic ring should have been included. This is Exact Change for me all over again. Nice effect, but overpriced and more limitations than the ads describe.

I disliked youtube exposers before but I've come to see their purpose. At least then, customers can see what they're buying before hand without getting duped.
You do not need a PK ring for all the effects on the DVD.
The main effects are the floating card, and the note from wallet. You do not need anything at all for note from wallet. The floating card....as has been discussed on this thread is best when used with a PK ring.....but it isn't essential. The anchor itself is a magnet, so anything metal is all thatis needed.
You can use the ring from a key ring if you wanted to.
Or you can, as discussed earlier use a PK blister, or just use a piece of metal inside a plaster. There are many ways to anchor the t-,/£d, but a pk ring is best.

As for price......it is priced similarity to a single trick DVD and you get many things included, the gimmick, the hook up badge, the anchor magnet, thread, pin, wax, sticky dots. I have also loaded bonus routines you can watch for free. The price is very reasonable. It is less than a good quality PK ring. I could have included a PK ring with Horizon, but didn't for a few reasons.

it would have more than doubled the price,
Most people already own one and would resent paying for something they have already
There are many different styles so it would be difficult to please everyone
There are many different sizes so again impossible to suit everyone.
A lot of people bought horizon for the floating note from wallet (which I believe is the strongest effect) it does not require a PK ring. So I would have to charge double the price for. Piece of equipment people wee not going to use.

I am truly Sorry you are disappointed with your purchase but to say you need a PK ring for every effect simply isn't true.
Betting that neo87 don't own this effect. This is a great effect and the price is perfect. matthew wright this guys only fishing.
[quote]
On 2014-02-06 22:59, neo87 wrote:
Pretty disappointed. You need a PK ring for ALL the effects on the DVD. The gimmick is cheaply made so a PK ring or magnetic ring should have been included. This is Exact Change for me all over again. Nice effect, but overpriced and more limitations than the ads describe.

I disliked youtube exposers before but I've come to see their purpose. At least then, customers can see what they're buying before hand without getting duped.
[/quote]

If you found Exact Change to be overpriced with too many limitations, you may have just talked me in to buying Horizon. Exact Change has been a staple of my stage and theatre shows for over the last year.
Horizon is definitely not over-priced. The props are very well thought out and very well made. Of course, it may not be for everybody, just like anything else.
[quote]

[/quote]

If you can't afford a decent pk ring, you can get cheap magnetic rings off eBay for like 10bucks, the anchor doesn't weigh much so it will stick
Didn't it state on the ad that a PK ring would be needed for some of the effects... that to me would say you need a PK ring so if you had no intention of buying one why buy the effect (if you have of cause)
[quote]
On 2014-02-07 05:51, MR Effecto wrote:
Betting that neo87 don't own this effect. This is a great effect and the price is perfect. matthew wright this guys only fishing.

[/quote]

There is a U shaped 'attachment' included. And needle. Eric teaches the effect with a phone booth in the background. Just because someone is displeased doesn't mean they are lying.
Purchased from Penguin, whose ad states : "The DVD and gimmicks included provide everything you need to start immediately." The DVD itself states the same at the back.
No mention of a PK ring.

I watched the video ads again and oddly enough, the hand with the ring was always kept out of focus.If there is one effect you can do without a ring, that's ok, just place a disclaimer at the bottom when demoing the effect that says "Does/does not require ring" Showing multiple effects and only one that you can do on it's own, and stating "This includes everything" is misleading.

Trying to protect the secret of how an effect is done, only hurts customers who can't use it. I can't make a horizon gimmick and even if I knew what it looked like I wouldn't do it. Few would go through the trouble. If I'm buying something that has no refunds if I cant use it, at least be completely honest and forthcoming. Say what I will need and what circumstances it wouldn't be practical in. Let customers decide if they can use it or not. I just checked the reviews on Penguin and 1 out the 4 people posted that they can't use it because you need a ring. Fine, you made $160 bucks but if you had given more information you would have made $120 bucks and saved someone their money.

As to Exact Change, Greg Wilson is and will always be one of my top 3 favorite performers. But the gimmick is by itself a couple bucks on Ebay. The DVD and gimmick is $80. Hence overpriced. Also, the noise is too loud. If you perform in loud environments, fine...it wouldnt matter to you. But all I ask is that the limitations and anything other necessary items be disclosed.
I think this is one of the best value tricks out there, you get a lot for what you pay, I did not pay $80.00 for mine and there is no noise, I can perform this in the quietest of surroundings. There is no noise produced from the trick.
[quote]
On 2014-02-07 07:58, M Sini wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

If you found Exact Change to be overpriced with too many limitations, you may have just talked me in to buying Horizon. Exact Change has been a staple of my stage and theatre shows for over the last year.
[/quote]

Yes, this is my point. Exact change is good for walkaround and stage performances, hence should be marketed towards walkaround and stage performers. The noise in these places are enough to cover it. I'm tired of magic demos that look good, to only buy the effect to hear the teacher say that X can be a problem so you have to change your performance style to make it work and diminish the effect.
[quote]
On 2014-02-07 11:57, phillipsart wrote:
I think this is one of the best value tricks out there, you get a lot for what you pay, I did not pay $80.00 for mine and there is no noise, I can perform this in the quietest of surroundings. There is no noise produced from the trick.
[/quote]

Can you get as close to the audience as shown in the demo? Is the secret something invisible enough? I perform in a fairly well lit environment.
Sure can, even closer in the correct lighting.
Ha Phillip
What about getting into and out
of the set-up if your doing a
close-up show.
Todd
Don't you own Horizon bowers? There's a method taught to get into and out of the effect. Also can be setup in your wallet all the time if you wish.
No that's why I asked the question.
Todd
Hey bowers,

There's a method taught on the DVD which shows you how to get into the setting and out of it easily.
Personally I don't like this setup (I think it's not very practical) but that's why I use the alternative method with the wallet set-up (and I really really love it) :)

Hope this helps

Cheers
Nikki
Thank's Nikki
This does look very good.
Todd
Pricing is not just about the cost of the materials. It is also about concept and routines. I can sell you a length of string for pennies....but I will charge much more to teach you tricks with it.