(Close Window)
Topic: Best invisible thread to buy?
Hi!
I bought recently a levitation trick, and I think my thread is really poor quality.

I was thinking on buy some new threads at ebay.com , because I don't know any "magic store" nearby on my city.

I'm facing a lot of different types, so anyone has some hints for me?

Thanks
I recommend Volume 1 of Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Thread Miracles if you want to find out more about types of threads and where to find them. You can buy it from your favorite online dealer, or you can follow [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/88]this link[/url] and buy it from one of my favorite online dealers.
Hi renanleandrof!

Welcome to the Café! :)

Are you interested in invisible thread [i]in general[/i], or just this one effect?

Doug
Drat. So much for that. 1 post and renanleandrof has left the building. Ah, yes. Carry on, then... :rolleyes:
Too bad. Interesting topic for a beginner like myself.
That's why we're here! Welcome to the Café, Bruce! Feel free to ask! :)

Doug
OK...no questions. You can PM me then...
Message: Posted by: XavrosStalkingwolf (Jan 9, 2014 05:40PM)
[quote]
On 2013-12-19 15:13, renanleandrof wrote:
Hi!
I bought recently a levitation trick, and I think my thread is really poor quality.

I was thinking on buy some new threads at ebay.com , because I don't know any "magic store" nearby on my city.

I'm facing a lot of different types, so anyone has some hints for me?

Thanks
[/quote]

In case you come back... Steve Fearson's Master Levitation System DVD comes with 4 different thread types for various situations. As a bonus, the DVD itself has great reviews on The Café. You can find the Master Levitation System here, with the thread types listed at the bottom: http://goo.gl/cvzsfi
Hey! Sorry, I've got some problems with my email fowarding, since I don't use this email normally... =P

Thanks for the hints! I'll look the links you guys gave me!

=]
I am not a massive thread work. But I did play around with it and had lots of fun. I borrowed Ammar's Easy to Master Thread Miracles and it great like all of his stuff. I do plan to use more in the future and when I do I plan to buy my own copy.

As for thread I used I liked Yigal Mesika thread that came in a container like dental floss. It was easy to set up. I also enjoyed loops as well. They just sat on your wrist no worries about tangles or snags.

A point I want to make as well is when someone says 'Best invisible thread to buy?' I know your asking whats out there so you can make the best choice. But some people I think try to be cheap. I think you buy the best. Yes there are cheaper out there. But something like this which is a tool you should have no problems in investing. A few gig your make your money. If it is to costly stand on a street corner and float peoples dollar bills and flip over there sun glass and make them close. Make a deck of cards ghostly cut it self and revel there chosen card. If your any good your have new threads and lunch in a hour.

Pleas remeber I am not a a massive thread user this is just what I found suited me playing for a few months. Also I know oyur asking to build on knowledge and not to be cheap.
Renanleandrof,

Depends on whether you're looking for I.T. or I.E.T.

Fearson definitely has the better I.T. "Vectra" and Subdividedstudios has the absolute best I.E.T. "Legacy".

Matt
I would be curious to know what trick you bought? I got Magic Makers' Floating Dollar Bill gimmick and DVD, and the thread strikes me as pretty fragile. Certainly okay for work with paper things if one is cautious, but nothing much heavier. I was wondering if I was stripping it incorrectly and if some stronger IET is to be had. Will definitely check out the Fearson tricks and supplies.
MagicMattMan thanks for the tip on the Legacy thread, I'm ordering now :)
[quote]
On 2014-01-29 03:52, Redfoot wrote:
MagicMattMan thanks for the tip on the Legacy thread, I'm ordering now :)
[/quote]

Redfoot:

You're most welcome!

Check out the latest review from gostone23 on the Legacy Emergency Kit, which I recommend getting first before buying just a spool of Legacy (unless you have a tying method already): http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=541281&forum=41

Cheers mate!
Matt
One watch out - some ITRs are only listed on James George's website itrmagictricks.com

My experience:
- Large order placed Aug '13. Nothing received even by Feb '14.
- Customer service is non-existent.
- Email exchanges with James George have been promises of immediate dispatch which have subsequently proven to be false promises.
- I have requested a refund only to be met with irrational allegations that I'm lying and a tirade of ill conceived anti-capitalist abuse.
- If you have ordered from this site watch out for promises that your order is about to ship in the run up to the 45day PayPal dispute deadline.
Welcome to the Café, Ramsaymagic! :)

Yeah, we try to warn folks about that. Several topics on that alone have been discussed. When James George moved himself to India, my warning flags went up.

Since the Web Spinner, ITRs to me are obsolete. A Web Spinner is $25. Steve Fearson sells the best IT in my opinion.

http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=308

Doug
Ah yes, the 'elusive' so-called invisible thread! I have to agree with Dougini - Fearson is the closest thread to being allegedly invisible. From a psychokinetic pen falling atop an overturned champagne glass-stem, to tipping over of that same glass, I delight in the spectators gasping reactions. As to Yigal's thread . . . it gives me 4-6 performances & I wear an extra loop (as well) on my left wrist in the eventual and dastardly sudden breakage. With lighting at the center of potentially exposing the workings in every performance whether IT or IET, I try, when I can, to arrive at my gig before the show & check for overhead fixtures and then place my table just off a foot and a bit further right of where I will be in performance (from the audience point of view). When it works it is truly a miracle, & with a wave and with a carefully selected, Latin-based warlockian verbiage, I stand upon the mountain of manipulation and remain the Master mind-bender . . . mostly.
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 23, 2019 02:34PM)
[quote]On Feb 9, 2014, Dougini wrote:
Welcome to the Café, Ramsaymagic! :)

Yeah, we try to warn folks about that. Several topics on that alone have been discussed. When James George moved himself to India, my warning flags went up.

Since the Web Spinner, ITRs to me are obsolete. A Web Spinner is $25. Steve Fearson sells the best IT in my opinion.

http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=308

Doug [/quote]

Would you recommend the Web spinner? Looks to good to be true!
Yeah. Or follow JoeJoe and make your own using a Sharpie. It's a worker!

Doug
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 24, 2019 10:19AM)
Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 24, 2019 12:10PM)
[quote]On Feb 24, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Yeah. Or follow JoeJoe and make your own using a Sharpie. It's a worker!

Doug [/quote]

Just to clarify: What is the difference between the web spinner and the super spinner with penny reel technology? Are they the essentially same and the super spinner is DIY or are they separate things altogether?

Thanks again
:question:
The Web Spinner is a sort of custom made medicine bottle with wax on the bottom. You store unstripped IT and use what you strip. Strip out what you need and the rest stays in the Spinner. The Super Spinner is a modified Sharpie. Note JoeJoe's YouTube channel. He laid it all out. Free of charge! :)

Doug
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 25, 2019 06:00AM)
Is the function of the web-spinner greater the super spinner or do they do something similar?

Thanks!

- A Magic Café User
It's a preference thing...
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 25, 2019 09:18AM)
But they do similar things right?
Pretty much.
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 26, 2019 05:51PM)
Well, thanks for all your help Dougini!
:thanx:
Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeNxcnhT7Js&list=PLZfcNvnALy-aNgFeGOqNq2df2yvlTiVj1&index=2
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 27, 2019 07:04PM)
Yeah. I checked out Joe Joe's YouTube channel and his super spinner series and it seems great. Thanks for your help! Any suggestions on buying magicians wax and invisible thread?

- A Magic Café User
I like Fearson's wax. I also like his Vectra thread. It is being discontinued, so...I still use my old YLI spool of wooley. If you can give it a bit of distance in subdued light, the X2 is GREAT! Remember, it's all about light and positioning. And you WILL get busted from time to time. I find I levitate stuff less now, and concentrate on animation. You know, PK stuff...

Doug
Message: Posted by: A Magic Cafe User (Feb 28, 2019 03:03PM)
[quote]On Feb 28, 2019, Dougini wrote:
Remember, it's all about light and positioning. And you WILL get busted from time to time.
[/quote]

I have been eyeing Loops by Yigal Mesika for a few years. I never bought them because they were expensive (about $10 for a pack of five) and tend to break when beginners are using and getting used to them. According to what I have read, loops are virtually impossible to see and can be used to produce a variety of levitation/PK effects. Do you know of any retailers that sell Loops wholesale or at a cheaper price? Or is there a cheaper and a suitable replacement for Loops? I'd be willing to invest in Loops, but my main concern is breaking many of them when I'm learning to use them. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- A Magic Café User
I don't do IET. But I hear The Legacy Thread is the best. Subdivided Studios sells it. You used to be able to buy a big reel for about $100. They also have a Loop tying system for sale there. That's about all I know...

Doug
Thanks for your help....

- A Magic Café User
Looking over my iT collection...I seem to have every different kind. Really, the Y.L.i. Woolly Nylon is sufficient. I have no problem stripping it. But...if YOU hate the idea, Vectra comes ready to use in Thread Bullets. But, ya know...easy as Vectra, Vectra Virtuoso and Vectra X-2 are, it's just as easy for me to pop in a length of unstripped Y.L.I. in my Web Spinner. I'm lazy. I have 5, 1000 meter spools of Y.L.I., 1 each of blue, black, brown, purple and green. Waste of money. They ALL work. It's the LIGHTING that is critical.

Working with IT is hit or miss in most cases. The more people at different angles and positions, and SOMEONE will see it. Plus, I NEVER use an ITR. The hassle...I mean, I don't know about you, but both of my reels are in a drawer, broken threads. I HATE fixing that *&%#ing thing! If ya GOTTA have an ITR, get Fearson's Cobra Reel. It comes pre-loaded with Vectra line.

I do believe the secret to good thread work is the PRE SELL! Build up to it. Float a dollar bill at the Mall, ho-hum. Float a marshmallow at a campfire...watch 'em scatter! LOL! Tell a spooky story. Some really good shockers can be done after a ghost story movie or some such! An entire ROOM can be rigged (a la Rube Goldberg)! I've never used it for PK touches, but that is a REALLY good idea!

Need a Spirit Bell? Pay $500 plus for a premade one, or go to Goodwill and buy a small brass bell and stand. Hook up Virtuoso to the clapper and >Ding!< The thread breaks and all is clean! Virtuoso breaks VERY easily, and is good for such use.

How about fishing line? I've used it before. A better choice would be Sulky Smoke Invisible 232. It is REALLY shiny, so...keep that in mind.

Folks, IT is not my first choice when I am asked to perform magic. The "bust-factor" is too high. Your reputation can be made or broken (no pun intended) by whether you are successful in performing with IT or IET.

It is really too easy to think that floating a dollar or such is magical and enchanting. It IS...IF the theatrics is right. It is more work than one would think. Too many new people buy into this, "No practice! Perform immediately!" hype. IT is special. It needs attention to angles, lighting and distance. Wanna show 'em a TRICK? That's what CARDS are for! LOL! :)

Doug
I highly agree with the previous post. The best IT that I've used is YLI brand wooly nylon in black color. It was what we used in the magic shop and can support up to a 50c piece with no issue.
In a sit down chat session with Eugene Burger once, one of the people asked him his thoughts on IT and floating objects... I remember his reply... When something floats, even though the people can’t see it, they say thread... animate something and they have no explanation. He then proceeded to do his haunted deck for us and an animated card from Hat... he asked if we could see the thread afterwards... a unison NO resounded. He showed us that he was using black carpet thread and with his inimitable chuckle, he said this won’t break.
I love using IT for animations and the haunted deck plus 2.0 just slays audiences. No fuss, just a bit of practice and good story is all it takes to entertain.
Hi, I recomend you Arbey Plus, by Adolfo Masyebra, a spanish magician. They’re made of a high quality material, and the price is so cheap compared with the quality. In a limited time, they’re giving free shipping worldwide, and with the discount code: GONZALOMATEOS10, you will have a 10% discount in any product. Here is the website: https://www.arbeyproductions.com/collections/frontpage/products/arbey-plus-black-10-uds
Hi, I recomend you Arbey Plus, by Adolfo Masyebra, a spanish magician. They’re made of a high quality material, and the price is so cheap compared with the quality. In a limited time, they’re giving free shipping worldwide, and with the discount code: GONZALOMATEOS10, you will have a 10% discount in any product. Here is the website: https://www.arbeyproductions.com/collections/frontpage/products/arbey-plus-black-10-uds