(Close Window)
Topic: Ash-Diary of an 8 year old schizophrenic
I dropped some skinny on another thread and want to post about the darkest creepiest book Outlaw has ever done.

Ash is a Case Study produced by Johns Hopkins Conte institute for the study of childhood schizophrenia. Childhood schizophrenia is a real albite extremely rare occurrence. Cases under the age of 10 are considered the rarest and most damaging occurrences of this sickness.

In 1957 an 8 year old appeared fairly normal except for some mild social issues. She received a diary from her mother that Christmas.

She was diligent about writing in her diary at first. The in early March there was a tragic car accident and her Mother was killed.

Shortly after the accident she starts to mention a new friend named Ash in her diary. The diary entries start to change and grow darker and darker. Little drawings become more and more disturbing as her "relationship" with Ash evolves into the depths of her schizophrenia.

She resents her father for working all the time. This is a man that has nearly shut down from the grief of losing his wife.

His sister, moves into the house to help care for her. This infuriates her who thinks the Aunt is trying to replace her Mommy.

Ash is a journey into the mind of a deeply disturbed child schizophrenic and her eventual surrender to her madness.

In 1975 the actual diary was acquired by a Psychiatrist at the Conte Institute. He was so taken with the book he felt it should be a case study.

In 1977 the diary was re-produced as a hard cover Case Study.

The Case study book is color scans page by page of the Diary.

The scans are of actual hand printed and hand drawn pictures. Each case book comes with an "actual" hand written page from the original diary.

This is both a book test and a bizarre piece.

Contributions and routines from Vic Nadata, Bobby Hasbun and Gary Kreiss.

The book is a limited edition of 150 units. Each unit comes with the book, an original hand written diary page and a numbered certificate of authenticity.

Retail is $150 shipping the first of February

Starting today I'm offering a 10 day only pre-order price of $110

The webpage will be up shortly or you can contact me directly.

May the spirits haunt you!
-Rick
Wonderfully evil.
Just the premise of the story alone is the done deal for me.

But some of us will probably like to see some pictures of this soon. How it looks inside and outside.

It's good to feel excited again. :D
I had my pre-pre-order in,before you started taking pre-orders! lol

Limited to 150,and will come with a COA correct ?
[quote]
On 2013-12-26 18:20, Godzilla wrote:
I had my pre-pre-order in,before you started taking pre-orders! lol

Limited to 150,and will come with a COA correct ?
[/quote]
Yes.

I'll also post a page of the diary.
Wonderfully evil! When can we expect some images?
Hi Rick,

I really love the premise and by coincident it fits totally into a concept I wanted to try out.

Preordered!
[quote]
On 2013-12-26 19:02, Sicnatius wrote:
Hi Rick,

I really love the premise and by coincident it fits totally into a concept I wanted to try out.

Preordered!
[/quote]
Thank you :)

I just want to note that the name Ash and Alice and the Hopkins University are for posting and webpage google protection.

Alice, Ash and Hopkins University are not the actual names on and in the book so feel free to refer to them as that.
Message: Posted by: revenantproductions (Dec 26, 2013 06:21PM)
Roth!

You and the crew are amazing!
Will Ash,be larger than the Lun@ & RS ?
Does not matter,I'm taking sight unseen...but,curious ?
[quote]
On 2013-12-26 20:06, Godzilla wrote:
Will Ash,be larger than the Lun@ & RS ?
Does not matter,I'm taking sight unseen...but,curious ?
[/quote]
A little bigger than the Luna HC.
Cant wait to see the images, sounds very nice.
Roth
Can you divulge if this will is designed like Luna? pm
[quote]
On 2013-12-26 21:40, MagiChrisMitch wrote:
Roth
Can you divulge if this will is designed like Luna? pm
[/quote]
I can tell you it does not use the Luna method or system.
I'm so excited for this!!
[quote]
On 2013-12-26 22:54, Roth wrote:
I can tell you it does not use the Luna method or system.
[/quote]

So it's like Lilian?? ;-)
Is it a booktest, or something else?
[quote]
On 2013-12-27 05:16, A.J.Drake wrote:
Is it a booktest, or something else?

[/quote]
Absolutely is.
Here's a test page and I'll explain it a bit because I won't be posting many more here.

Her mother died suddenly 2 months after she started the diary. The first 2 months she was fairly normal, maybe a little odd at times, but she's eight.

The printing she did was nice, not great. The drawing somewhat accurate. At the point in the diary where this entry would be, it had been about 30 days since her mother died. Ash has been around the past 10 days at this point.

Her writing has gotten darker and odd at time, her artwork creepy (Typical scary kids style) has radically started to go down hill. That's the next 2 months and then it goes deeper and darker.

Hope ya like it :) BTW What you see below is the look of 50% of the book but the last part goes off the chart madness.
(this is larger than the actual page)
[img]http://s21.postimg.cc/3pdhzs5iv/2007_01_27_06_08_45.jpg[/img]
Ok, that page alone would seriously creep out some people! Loving it! Now to save money and somehow get this without the wife being the wiser!
Wow, wow, wow!

The new #1 item on my 2014 to do list!

Pre-ordering now.
Rick, while I'm sure the ultimate deliverable will be up to Outlaw's usual standards, can you give us more info regarding what you mean by...

"The Case study book is color scans page by page of the Diary. The scans are of actual hand printed and hand drawn pictures. Each case book comes with an "actual" hand written page from the original diary."

What do you mean by "scans?" Will these pages be treated differently than the rest of the book? Will they purposely look like scans and work themselves into the storyline? Personally, I love the idea of having a book that is NOT original...and just scans of the diary. It makes it more credible, and of course, the spirits can still be present. Then, am I to understand that you will include a single page that is an "actual page" from the diary? If so, a book of scanned pages and one "real" page seems very realistic s far as presentations go, and super creepy.
In the other thread, it was said that some process was to be used to make the whole book look hand printed. I wonder what caused the change in plans.

I think something that looks like the real McCoy would be way creepier than a clinical case study. I wonder if purchasers will attempt to create their own hand written copies, in a larger-than-Luna scale.

If the book is supposedly a published case study (as opposed to some rare book), why make it a limited edition? Why not make it a PDF and tell buyers which color crayons they need to reproduce it (with the claim, perhaps, that the pages were obtained from the files a psychiatrist who worked on the case)?
I feel the same way as Oz. To me it's more credible as a case study instead of the entire actual artifact (cool as that would be)
Good points Mind Guerrila, but what I'm envisioning is a book that shows a more "modern" design, full of reproductions of a one-of-a-kind diary from years past, but also includes an "original" page from that very same document. And by original, I mean aged in the typical Outlaw way...which takes time and skill. So, that's what I was inquiring about. A PDF is fine, but a lot of us (well, let's just say "me") prefer having the work done for us. ('cause I'm lazy).

It could still be a limited edition for a number of reasons...limited distribution, limited audience (no one wants to hear about this kind of thing), or even a banned book which was shut down in production after a certain number of books. I'm guessing there's a best of both worlds here, I just want to know more.
[quote]
On 2013-12-27 20:04, Wizard of Oz wrote:
...which takes time and skill. So, that's what I was inquiring about. A PDF is fine, but a lot of us (well, let's just say "me") prefer having the work done for us. ('cause I'm lazy).
[/quote]

Time, yes. As for skill, bear in mind that these are the crude drawings of a child.

How about a compromise: a limited edition PDF (with free crayons to the first 50 customers). ;)
Holy Crap...what's next,they used a incorrect color of crayon in the 50's ?
Its an effect! :)
And,lets keep it all on one thread in the Spooky,and one thread in the Crypt!(when it gets there!)
I'm tired of looking 6 different places for everything,and someone always wanting to start a new thread! lol
Another reason why someone might not want to present it as a published study: specs who become so fascinated by your presentation that they are then inspired to research the case on their own after the show. Claiming your source to be from the private file of, say, a deceased psychiatrist friend, would head this off at the pass.
Oz I agree with you. The book is hand written. We will then do high Res. scans of the pages and compose it into the diary/case study.
It will include an actual page of the diary with each book.

For me it solved two issues. The first brought up by Mindguerrilla (can faking hand written be pulled off) spooked me, don't blame MG :)

A printed "hand written" book may look real to some people, and we think it could pass the test, but to be honest, I don't want even one person saying "I'm not sure it passes 100% as hand written" I don't want that to happen.

If its one page maybe it would be fine, but 160 pages and I don't know if it would hold up.

The other thing is "credible acquisition". It is more credible to have acquired one of 40 case study books printed by a University in the late 70's, than to have acquired this highly special and unusual actual diary.

(BTW the idea of making it a Case Study came from the very brilliant Vic Nadata)

That said, I met with my printer today and this book is more money to produce than I thought. Its a one up book and its double sided color printing (even though it has very limited color in it) with expensive paper.

It is close to the size of Ipswich.

The end result of my meeting with my printer today is this.

Until Jan. 5th it will stay $110 on pre-order.

From the 5th to the 15th it goes to $125 pre-order.

The 15th it goes to full price of $175 shipped. Yes I said $150 originally, but it would not be worth it to produce and sell at that price. My margin is not big and of course its all original art and it is hand written. Huge amount of time producing it.

As far as limited edition goes 10 have sold so I should probably stick with the Limited edition :)

I feel 150 units is a good run.
An interesting entry here.

[img]http://s22.postimg.cc/cu3zi3of5/2007_01_28_02_26_49.jpg[/img]
Hello,

Seems like a perfect time to get this gem after a long Outlaw break.

Looking forward to receiving it.

Cheers.
[quote]
On 2013-12-27 20:54, Roth wrote:
As far as limited edition goes 10 have sold so I should probably stick with the Limited edition :)

I feel 150 units is a good run.
[/quote]
Always a good business practice to stick to your promises. Besides mail order fraud is a Federal offense.
[quote]
For me it solved two issues. The first brought up by Mindguerrilla (can faking hand written be pulled off) spooked me, don't blame MG :)
[/quote]

Oh, they like to blame me for everything. You can't stop them. ;) I am probably more sensitive to these issues because, in my former job with the government, my duties included the detection of fraudulent documents. So, I may not be the best person to ask regarding what would pass muster with Joe Public.

Simulated handwriting is difficult to pull off due to the lack of impressions/indentations typically made by the pressure of pen (or hard pencil) on paper. These can create a change in the paper's texture and reflectivity.

A recent mainstream effort to carry off simulated handwriting is the book "S" by JJ Abrams, discussed in this other thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=531952&forum=14&20

In "S," I think they tried to get around the impressions/indentations issue by making many of the notations appear to be from colored markers, instead of ballpoint pens. This, however, created another issue i.e. the lack of bleed-through on the other side of the thin paper used. If thicker paper had been used, or if the notations looked like they had been produced by soft, colored pencils, the effect may have been more convincing.
This type of effect involving a journal of an unfortunate person led me to a thought which I am sure has been discussed before. Such people, especially children, often exhibit external manifestations of their psychopathology. On of these manifests as psychokinesis; in other words, poltergeist activity. I would make a great deal of sense from a parapsychology persective therefore to present macro-PK as poltergeist activity during the performance. Any of the devices available could be used as methods. This would work especially well in a darker than lighter setting (both of context and illumination) although it could be played well on stage as well. The book establishes the story, the story the context, and the context the opportunity. We can thank the ghost hunting community for providing some credibility to the backstory which can be effectively leveraged using this and similar props.
Lills D1ary does a great job with the handwriting look. It is more than adequate to fool a spec in a dimly lit room. Not right for this effect maybe but my point being hand written will pass. You could always trace over the images with crayon or pencils (I think someone mentioned this already) but it is definitely believable as a case study.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/zoopdog/ld1_zps65cf1a89.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/zoopdog/ld2_zpsf9f174c5.jpg[/img]
Ordered and excited!
[quote]
Oz I agree with you. The book is hand written. We will then do high Res. scans of the pages and compose it into the diary/case study.
It will include an actual page of the diary with each book.

A printed "hand written" book may look real to some people, and we think it could pass the test, but to be honest, I don't want even one person saying "I'm not sure it passes 100% as hand written" I don't want that to happen.

If its one page maybe it would be fine, but 160 pages and I don't know if it would hold up.
[/quote]

I agree with Roth's analysis. Presenting this item as a scanned reproduction of the original works for me. It is more likely that I would have such a copy in my possession than the original diary. As for the limited number of copies, it could very well be that the psychiatrist in question had them privately printed (for a small number of close colleagues) after the University rejected the study for publication. Too bizarre or sensational perhaps. This would also eliminate the possibility of an inquisitive spec trying to locate the published study online.
....and since it deals with a child it is highly believable that the copies would be limited to a professional circle. Any copies that got out would certainly not be legal to sell. A child's medical records not being out there for anyone to buy is very believable no matter how old. Maybe you got it at an estate sale in a box of books or cleaning out the attic at a parents house after they had passed away etc. I use estate sale a lot as most times the family comes in and knows nothing about the books so they make boxes of them and sell um in lots. I like books to look old but taken care of but depending on how this is aged it works either way. Maybe you saw it in the trash at the estate sale and asked about it. They said you could have that nasty ol thing if you wanted it - etc.
I also think the case study is a very cool way to present this and it can be done both as straight mentalism and bizarre!

I bought the book after PMing Roth,after the first post was made,and getting some more skinny!
The book has some blank pages in the front and back,that should be used for making "annotations" by one of the people that studied the case.

This will also add credibility of the books origin,and have real writing in it. :)

I'm ready to see what's on her mind !
[quote]
On 2013-12-28 12:44, ZoOpDoG wrote:
Lills D1ary does a great job with the handwriting look. It is more than adequate to fool a spec in a dimly lit room.
[/quote]
The look maybe but not the feel. We'll have to agree to disagree on how adequate this effect is to fool a spec. A room can only be so dim if you want someone to read a book. Handling the book is another issue. If you have someone leaf through it, I don't think it unlikely that they'd notice how unusually smooth/flat the pages are for a personal diary. Just because the spec doesn't point this out doesn't necessarily mean s/he was fooled.
In the case of the diary and I believe ash, I am under the impression it is a printed version of handwritten material so it would not have the indentations or roughness.

The diary reprinted from notes asembled by the great luna rose and ash I am assuming by the doctor from his notes and her drawings. The textured paper used in the diary adds a roughness that would mask ink - indent well if you wanted to say it was the original.
I just read through the discussion and to me it reads a little like it's about running without being chased.
Selling it as a case study is brilliant, since minimum 99% of the people we'll be presenting this to, well have never ever had their hands on a real psychological case study from that time. So they can't tell if it's genuine at all, so if you don't present it like an idiot (I have this totally ungaffed book that my cursed grandfather gave me blablabla...) They won't be suspicious at all. Even if someone may be, the other 99% won't question it.
Because of her age this case study would have been anonymous. The book cover will have case study A**** M. on the cover

For additional credibility there will be a website written by one of the "case study participants". You will have that website address. How you use it is up to you.

On another note. The $110 pre-sale price is killing me. I know how much this book costs to produce and way more than I want to sell at this price are being bought.

Fair warning. New Years day the pre-order will go to $125. I'll keep it there through the 10th and then it goes to full retail $175

Thanks guys and I'm really enjoying the discussion going on here.

BTW there will be some additional material and possibly something from Vic Nadata :) that can be purchased to further enhance your presentations
Wayyy outta my price range. Even at $110. But I am SO glad to see this. Back when I had money, I would have EVERYTHING Outlaw produces....and I do mean EVERYTHING.

Doug
[quote]
On 2013-12-28 19:45, Roth wrote:

On another note. The $110 pre-sale price is killing me. I know how much this book costs to produce and way more than I want to sell at this price are being bought.

[/quote]

Rick,we love ya!
But,I hope you do not get rich on this! lol

I might buy another...

I hope every last one sells out,before FEB. release! :)
This is a really creepy looking book, Rick! Well done (again)!
[quote]
On 2013-12-28 22:50, afinemesh wrote:
This is a really creepy looking book, Rick! Well done (again)!
[/quote]
You've seen the book? You're going to make some of us (who have only seen the pages posted on this thread) jealous! :) Did you see a prototype or the actual finished product? Could you give a more detailed review to those of us who are still on the fence about this? I was curious as to whether the images are printed in portrait or landscape orientation and was wondering what the non-diary portions of the book look like. Thanks!
Having dealt with many "case study" materials, research reports, and hospital records of adults and juveniles over a 45 plus year career in the mental health "industry", I believe the idea of the colection of a scanned volume and a single page original is Brilliant...and any spec who doesn't accept it as 90%+ as credibly and likely as the "real deal" is, imho, such a skeptic, that I would not even want to perform for them....as they would have little to no ability to temporarily suspend judgement for the sake of an entertainment or a curious or mysterious "experiment" in "human psychology and suggestion".
I can't to get my hands on Ash,...and that is after I had vowed to hold any more such purchasess until later in 2014.....ha, ha...my resolution was blown before the New Year even began...!
Here you see the progression of her illness as she sinks deeper and deeper.
she begins seeing her deceased Mother. Hallucinations both visual and audio are not uncommon in schizophrenics.

April- one month after her mother dies

July- three months later

[img]http://s29.postimg.cc/9klqpt6c7/2007_01_27_06_08_45.jpg[/img]

[img]http://s29.postimg.cc/don61oj87/2007_01_01_00_57_24.jpg[/img]

Oddly the paper is the same color in both pictures. Weird lightening :)
I can't wait for this !
We We We We We Can't wait for this!
Mid February, that's all I can think of, delivery date of beginning to kid February! So excited, can't wait to see the finished product!
Oh wow, that's really disturbing and if that is in the progression I really want to see how the final ones look like. Wish I could already have it here!
Ordered!
Guys & Dolls,time is running out on getting this at $50.00 less,than after the tenth!
Absolutely gorgeous. I need to become independently wealthy just so I can buy everything you put out.
Since discovering outlaw a couple if years ago, I have always said that if I won the lottery or other ridiculous amount if money, I would immediately put in an order for two of every effect outlaw has. It's nice to dream....
Hi All...

I'm really liking this item...and I think the case study "copies" is a fantastic idea. However, and I don't mean to nit-pick...but in Rick's sample above the little (mentally challenged) 8 year old girl...correctly spelled "picture.." Would this be OK in our sample context of this little girl...? Or would she spell the word more phonetically i.e. "pitcer..."? Or other simplified spelling...? In addition...she is spelling other words correctly throughout the content of her diary. Or does it really matter...or would a spectator even care...or notice...?

Continued Success,
Dan
Dan,

I was never a great speller growing up but I believe I knew how to correctly spell the word picture by age 8. Probably running without being chased. However, it is never a bad idea to question things like this; it keeps us sharp.
[quote]
On 2014-01-08 12:57, docdazzal wrote:
Hi All...

I'm really liking this item...and I think the case study "copies" is a fantastic idea. However, and I don't mean to nit-pick...but in Rick's sample above the little (mentally challenged) 8 year old girl...correctly spelled "picture.." Would this be OK in our sample context of this little girl...? Or would she spell the word more phonetically i.e. "pitcer..."? Or other simplified spelling...? In addition...she is spelling other words correctly throughout the content of her diary. Or does it really matter...or would a spectator even care...or notice...?

Continued Success,
Dan
[/quote]
Actually , good catch Doc on the spelling. that's only a couple of entries. There are many mis-spelled words in the book. The book starts off very well written (for an 8 year old) and then entries, spelling, pictures, start to degrade as the book goes on.

Its a very visual transition. You can flip through from start to finish and see her illness progress in a rather startling way after the passing of her mother.
Thank You Rick...

This is a really cool take on a book test...my order is on its way.

All the Best,
Dan
http://cthulhureborn.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/font-of-all-madness/

An interesting article on creating fonts that replicate a persons hand writing in various stages of their descent into madness.
With this being a case study of a youth with Mental Health Issue's,I hope there is added accounts,of what (Can Not) be explained by Science,in the study too! (Paranormal)

@ Brynmore 14 ,thanks for the link!
Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.
That was an interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Hopes of Ash,becoming my #1 go to !

It just seems,She has such a 'Creepy' factor going with her ! :)
Gee, it must have been, what, 3-4 days since I've ordered anything from Outlaw, I thought I was doing well with my addition, maybe I could make it a full week I said, well, then I started looking into ASH, gee, why don't they have methadone for Outlaw's effects?
Perhaps their logo should be a syringe.
Whoa, this is so cool. How weird is it that I Just happened to come across an article about this supposed book yesterday?! Is this based on an actual, real diary from a little girl? Or was the whole thing made up for this B00k T3st and someone found it and thought it was real? Either way, sounds awesome. It's been awhile since I've added anything to my collection, hmm...lol
Waiting for Ash,is making me me me me Crazy !
Is this a limited edition? And' it's not out yet?
Hi niva,

it's limited to 150 and according to Roth it will start shipping in February.
Thanks. :)
Can't wait for February....be my "Valentine"....Ash...!
[quote]
On 2014-01-30 09:01, Wizard Benjamin wrote:
[/quote]

That's bizarre, even for this place :)
A sane person is many times more likely to murder you than one with schizophrenia. If you're going to fear a group of people, fear the sane.
[quote]
On 2014-01-30 13:22, critter wrote:
A sane person is many times more likely to murder you than one with schizophrenia. If you're going to fear a group of people, fear the sane.
[/quote]

And just to add to your comment. You are correct. Schizophrenics are not generally violent, not towards other people. They can physically be a danger to themselves. And they are capable of anger and lashing out no different than another human.

I learned a lot about schizophrenia when I adapted the 1963 book "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" to the stage. The book was a autobiographic work, couched in fiction. The author was author Joanne Greenberg. I had the opportunity to meet with Joanne many times while I was developing the script and talk to her about her battle with schizophrenia. She is 83 years old now. And now saner than most of us.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/denver/article/Photo-Flash-First-Look-at-Miners-Alley-Playhouses-I-NEVER-PROMISED-YOU-A-ROSE-GARDEN-20130914

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Never_Promised_You_a_Rose_Garden_%28play%29
[quote]
[/quote]

Not,if the schizophrenic is possessed...and,has a Demon entity helping out! :)
This can be done as straight Mentalism,or Bizarre!

Or,Her Sane Father,is the Culprit!
You,write the Patter! :)
[quote]
On 2014-01-30 09:16, Sicnatius wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-30 09:01, Wizard Benjamin wrote:
[/quote]

That's bizarre, even for this place :)
[/quote]
Yes,...overboard....I am working on some ideas with Lil's Di*#y so may have been bizarrely influenced..!
[quote]
On 2014-01-30 15:55, Al Desmond wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

And just to add to your comment. You are correct. Schizophrenics are not generally violent, not towards other people. They can physically be a danger to themselves. And they are capable of anger and lashing out no different than another human.

I learned a lot about schizophrenia when I adapted the 1963 book "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" to the stage. The book was a autobiographic work, couched in fiction. The author was author Joanne Greenberg. I had the opportunity to meet with Joanne many times while I was developing the script and talk to her about her battle with schizophrenia. She is 83 years old now. And now saner than most of us.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/denver/article/Photo-Flash-First-Look-at-Miners-Alley-Playhouses-I-NEVER-PROMISED-YOU-A-ROSE-GARDEN-20130914

[/quote]
A basic principle of human psychology is that in "analyzing" any behavior, one must realize there is a contiunuum of "individual differences" accounting for variation.....and this applies to those who are diagnosed with "schizophrenia"..... (they are not their label)...so violence is found in a small part of that population.
However, on the contrary, ....in a large number of heinous, bizzare violent acts, the perpetrator could be seriously mentally ill in a higher percent of incidents.
I was wondering, is the case study too long, or can you read the whole thing with the audience?
[quote]
On 2014-01-31 21:50, Wizard Benjamin wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-30 15:55, Al Desmond wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
A basic principle of human psychology is that in "analyzing" any behavior, one must realize there is a contiunuum of "individual differences" accounting for variation.....and this applies to those who are diagnosed with "schizophrenia"..... (they are not their label)...so violence is found in a small part of that population.
However, on the contrary, ....in a large number of heinous, bizzare violent acts, the perpetrator could be seriously mentally ill in a higher percent of incidents.
[/quote]

That's why I said "generally" and a lot of those "individual differences" are what the person is capable of, ill or not. What I most rail against is those that assume without knowledge that schizophrenic are violent. And it really gets in my craw when folks continually confuse schizophrenia with MPD (multiple personality disorder). A schizophrenic does not have multiple personalities, there are one or more "persons" in their head.
I'm speaking on behalf of myself and not Roth at all (although maybe he can chime in and agree or disagree)... But I like to think that her schizophrenia was misdiagnosed. What was really going on was much darker and otherworldly, but doctors didn't know how else to classify it.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 16:53, Godzilla wrote:
With this being a case study of a youth with Mental Health Issue's,I hope there is added accounts,of what (Can Not) be explained by Science,in the study too! (Paranormal)

[/quote]

I'm with Bobby, on this !
Great idea Bobby....I could see using that premise for sure!
Don't get too hung up right now on schizophrenia or DID or any of the many other classifications or misclassifications that can be applied to ASH. Suffice-it-to-say that ASH is open-ended enough to lend itself to all sorts of interpretations and you could well find yourself of many minds of how best to present it.
I wasn't intending to generate much controversy with my somewhat off-handed remark. I understand that the main focus here is on the possession and not a mental disorder. But sane people really are scary.
Just to clarify, and by the way this is a fascinating discussion. Alice was both schizophrenic and had multiple personality disorder. Very rare in children.

There is no violence or anyone getting killed in her diary :)
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 18:12, Roth wrote:

[/quote]

DAMMIT ! :)
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 18:50, Godzilla wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Check out the teaser pictures, I guess its gory enough to freak people out ;-)
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 18:50, Godzilla wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, Lizard my friend, there is reading the lines in the diary and then there is reading between the lines . . .
Rick, can you give us an update on an ETA?
:)
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 21:09, Wizard of Oz wrote:
[/quote]
Mid-Feb guys. Thanks :)
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 19:09, gmeister wrote:
[quote]

Ah, Lizard my friend, there is reading the lines in the diary and then there is reading between the lines . . .
[/quote]

That, is the way I read it, my friend !

Just,don't want anything bad to happen to *lice or Ash !

Anyone Else, EHhhh... :)
I have witnessed a schizophrenic become violent. He believed the television was sending him messages through public access channels and that there was a chip implanted in his neck which everyone was trying to get. The actions all seem funny at first to most people until you realize how serious it is to not be kidding. Either way the hospital had an off duty but uniformed police officer as its nightwatchmen. The patient was unrestrained even though he had made threatening comments toward the staff that he intended to "take them out" and make his escape before they could get the chip. When the staff attempted to force him to take sedatives after catching him only pretending to take them he got violent. The Police officer came in to help (nightstick in hand) and he grabbed the officer by his necktie and began strangling him with it while males and female nurses tried to get him subdued. The cop started beating him with the nightstick anywhere he could hit him which eventually landed a head shot. It subdued the patient long enough to put him in full restraints. When he regained consciousness he was in full 6 point restraints and was immediately sedated but conscious. He was black and blue everywhere from the nightstick. The family arrived and were furious. The officer was yelling that he was about to shoot him if he hadn't gone down when he did which made them even more angry. The family said they had warned the hospital of him being threatening and believed he was not swallowing his meds and that he should have been restrained prior to the incident and that they were going to sue the hospital, etc. The pure adrenaline coming from the patient could have launched a rocket. If a schizophrenic becomes delusional (when untreated or improperly treated)they can absolutely become violent. He was not diagnosed with multiple personality disorder nor do a number of doctors believe there is such a thing. I have no opinion on that as I am not a doctor. Definitely not something I will ever forget.

edit - I should mention that the reason he had not been restrained prior to the incident was because he was very calm until the incident itself. Never yelled and in no way projected anger other than the comment about "taking them out" which was also said quite calmly to a family member. Projecting calm and being calm are not the same. It almost seemed as if he were faking the disorder at times because he seemed completely normal unless he believed he could trust you. Only Then would he speak about the chip and the conspiracy and the messages from the TV. Since he pretty much trusted no one and it was up to them to tell the doctors what he was saying. He was caught by the docs at one point when he wouldn't come out of the bathroom. When they went in he was attempting to put his #2 into a bag rather than flush it because he believed if they got it the could check his DNA against it and he could no longer pretend that he was not the guy with the chip. That they would know they had the right person.
I should mention that I am referring to a person that had become delusional to a point that he was already placed into the hospital while awaiting admittance to a psychiatric treatment center. I thought it would be interesting to hear about this in a thread promoting an item that deals with this subject matter. I don't imagine the book is dealing with a functioning schizophrenic. Based on my PM box there are some who think I intended to mean this about all people living with the disease and possibly make light of it. That was not the intention nor did I expect any would take it as such.
My Dad has schizophrenia and my education is in psychology, magna cum laude. As noted, I'm still more worried about being murdered by a "sane" person. It's more statistically likely. ;)
I'm not offended by this routine based on what I've read. Sounds interesting.
Critter, my presentation would be in Bizarre...the,only way I would perform this! :)

@ Roth, I hope you are keeping your ASH, in gear on this release ! :)
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 21:49, Roth wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 21:09, Wizard of Oz wrote:
[/quote]
Mid-Feb guys. Thanks :)
[/quote]
Would this be a good time for us to start stalking the mailman in anticipation of a precious delivery?
I will be stalking my "person-person" (do not want to be accused of sexual/gender bias by saying "male-man" )!
Just wanted to see if anyone has yet received their copy of Ash yet?
Not yet. I don't think they shipped yet, but Outlaw can verify the status.
Thanks Vic, it was just a generalized question anyway. No problem waiting a bit longer, OE stuff is always worth it
It's now listed on the website as shipping in early March. I am very much looking forward to this.
[quote]
On Feb 24, 2014, reese wrote:
It's now listed on the website as shipping in early March. I am very much looking forward to this.
[/quote]
If I were to get mine by St Paddy's day....I will surely have an extra Guiness in celebration and enjoyment of my ASH...!
I am drinking a Guiness now in anticipation of the celebration and enjoyment of my ASH. Most likely I will fall on my ASH, but that is a story for another day.
And I am just now drinking a "Rasputin" stout... brushing ashes off me, sitting on my... sit-bones.
[quote]
On Feb 27, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I am drinking a Guiness now in anticipation of the celebration and enjoyment of my ASH. Most likely I will fall on my ASH, but that is a story for another day.
[/quote]
A very old "groaner" from some 1950's magician's joke book I once had, "Magic is amazing,...the other day I saw a magician walking down the street,...and he suddenly turned into a bar...!"
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh... (groan)
Very excited about this one!
Rick, can you give us a status update? Have books begun to ship?
We start shipping next week. It's been a long slow process hand drawing over 130 pieces of art. You guys will be blown away. The book is like looking at pure chaos from the mind of a little kid.

Retail will be $175 next week.
Yes!!!
I'm leaving a message now for my postal person in CRAYON as to where to leave my package if I am not at home when it arrives...! :bigdance:
Can't wait. Thanks for the update, Rick!
Color me excited.
Any chance of you posting some current pics Rick, to get our evil creative juices flowing?
Order placed woohoo!
Found this cool story. Not directly related, but still..
http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/03/07/hidden-in-henrys-room-the-secret-life-of-a-janitor
Wizard of Oz - Henry Barger was certainly an interesting character. He took the concept of worldbuilding to a whole new level.
Ok... I'm almost ready to push the pay button on Outlaw, but I'm not sure if I've seen these questions asked or answered?

1) A book test. What does that encompass. Revealing a word on a page, an entire page, one of the pictures. Or like Lillian's, some basic reveals on an entry followed by a trip through the book?

2) How much memory work is involved?

3) How "freely" does the spectator arrive at someplace in the book?

4) Up to this point there hasn't been much talk on effect, just on the premise of the book and the wonderful artwork.

5) The ad currently states the price is 150 until March 25th. Is that valid. I've seen a number of different deadline dates mentioned throughout this thread.

Input Rick?
Hi Guys,

I should have pics of the book posted later today.

March 25th it starts shipping (finally!)

The price will go to $175

Thanks!
Yaaay..! So glad I got in on the pre-release sale....and can't wait to add it to my routines! :bigdance: :righton:
[quote]
On Mar 17, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:

1) A book test. What does that encompass. Revealing a word on a page, an entire page, one of the pictures. Or like Lillian's, some basic reveals on an entry followed by a trip through the book?

2) How much memory work is involved?

3) How "freely" does the spectator arrive at someplace in the book?

4) Up to this point there hasn't been much talk on effect, just on the premise of the book and the wonderful artwork.

Input Rick?
[/quote]

I wasn't sure if this all got answered via PM or maybe it was going to be answered in the later post but I'm also wondering?
You can reveal multiple diary entries and art.

Less memory work than Luna

Free choice by the spec. You never touch, peek or ask for a page number :)

This book was only given to certain groups of doctors and psychologists involved in the case study at N.I.M.H.. It was not made for the public. There are no "bells and whistles" it's pretty "institutional.

[img]http://s28.postimg.cc/7uzvqajm5/photo_2.jpg[/img]
Beautiful!
[quote]
On Mar 17, 2014, bobbyhasbun wrote:
Beautiful!
[/quote]
Agreed..and it was only two factors that made me spring for a pre-order instantly 1) given my lifetime career in MH, the back story involving "schizophrenia" and (since one of my all time faves is the Lu*£ trilogy) 2) It was created by Rick Roth/Outlaw......SOLD...!!!

:readingbook: :jump:
Beautiful Rick, can't wait to finally have it in my hands!
Before ordering Rick can you please check your PM's and get back with an answer
That looks fab! Can't wait to get my paws on it.
Just a quick question: I ordered it few month ago using Paypal, is there some sort of track of it on the website? I never get another mail than the Paypal one, and search the website today to find my account without success. Can someone point me to it?
[quote]
On Mar 21, 2014, Boudje wrote:
Just a quick question: I ordered it few month ago using Paypal, is there some sort of track of it on the website? I never get another mail than the Paypal one, and search the website today to find my account without success. Can someone point me to it?
[/quote]

Hi,

If you are referring to ASH, it will only ship on the 25th March.
Thanks for the answer, I was just curious to know if there is some sort of track of the order somewhere on the website or if the paypal email is the only thing you get.
Usually just paypal in my experience.
[quote]
On Mar 21, 2014, Boudje wrote:
Thanks for the answer, I was just curious to know if there is some sort of track of the order somewhere on the website or if the paypal email is the only thing you get.
[/quote]

If you placed the order a while ago, then you may need to look under the "archive" link at the top of your account activity. The archive is like older bank statements, a history of older activity.

Si vous avez placé la commande il ya un certain temps, alors vous pouvez avoir besoin de regarder sous le lien "archive" en haut de l'activité de votre compte. L'archive est comme les relevés bancaires âgées, une histoire d'activité plus.
As some of you know I've been working on Ash with Roth the past couple of months. Probably the most unusual project I've ever been involved with. The book is completely hand written and the art is extensive.

This past week we were really pushing hard but decided it was best not to push it out and take one more week before committing to the binder so we can proof-read again and make any final changes. One typo and the book can be N/G. There are a group of people we have been showing various pages to the past couple of weeks and we are all in agreement that it looks just like the real thing and it's amazing looking.

I think you buyers will be very pleased with this huge undertaking. So please let us make sure it's all good before we send it out next week.

I'm honored to be a part of Ash and know it will set a new mark in bizarre (and mental magic). It's been a pleasure working with Roth and G. Kriss on this extensive project.
Thanks for the update Bobby,....as much as I am drooling to get my hands on this new piece of mental/bizarre artful creation,...I really appreciate the fact that you all are taking the time and have the integrity to get it right and get it to a state of excellence! My personal back story is sooo perfect for this routine/effect that it am overjoyed by the results you report and by the pictures I have seen. The cover of the "case study" book for ASH even almost exactly matches one of the psychological case evalutaion books that I regularly used in my previous career at the state hospital..!
Patiently meditating for one more week...!!
:napping: :applause:
Thank you for the update. I too would rather wait for it to be done 100% right.
I gotta admit though...I am chomping at the bit. This sounds sooooo creepy.
Bobby, I appreciate the extra effort you guys are making to make sure that the quality of Ash is second to none. Thank you.
Thanks for the update! Very excited about this and I'm sure it will totally be worth the wait. Thanks for taking the extra time and care!
Thanks for the update on this.
Maybe we can get an update on Monday, please?...it's a holiday here in AZ and it would be exciring to hear that ASH is shipping the first of the week...!
:exclaim: :question:
I don't mean to seem pushy, I truly appreciate the extra care is being put into this, but any word on when these might be shipped yet?
[quote]
On Apr 2, 2014, 5ublim3 wrote:
I don't mean to seem pushy, I truly appreciate the extra care is being put into this, but any word on when these might be shipped yet?
[/quote]
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for extending me the time you have and not freaking out :)

I have a huge workload on a normal day, let alone writing a book too. Let me first say that it's probably the most disturbing book you will have in your arsenal, and I did underestimate the complexities of writing like a 9 year old, mis-spelling, odd shaped letters etc. I think if I went to print out a letter I am now only capable of writing like a 9 year old, as opposed to my usual writing like a 12 year old, lol.

The actual diary is hand written by me as a 9 year old girl. It's written to look exactly like a child wrote it. The bizarre doodles are done by me. I even erase and re-write words so the page is "messy", I dog ear some pages, I draw and erase doodles, so they look like "ghost doodles". On top of all that I have to make sure the force entries and force doodles are correct.

It's an art project and a book test. The book is completely linear and can be read from start to finish.

What I've been doing the past two weeks is making her doodles also "revelations. You can divine the entry and reveal the drawings.

She starts off with very nice "penmanship" her printing is very nice, then 3 months in her father dies in a car accident and her illness starts to take hold. She "meets" ASH. Her printing starts to go downhill, her doodles start to get strange.

From there it goes further downhill and the last month turns into a cataclysmic meltdown resulting in a shocking (but anticipated) abrupt end to her entries, because the girl writing the entries is no longer "there".

Now I need to answer your question. I met with my printer today again and he's composing a test print file. I'm going to do several final proof reads and we are going to print next week.

So please show a little more mercy :) you have all been very kind and patient to this point and you know I will come through for you with an extrodinary book.
We're looking at the book being at the binder next week. No one in their right mind would probably have taken on a project like this. I'm doing it for me and for you.

I truly believe this bizarre little diary will have a great impact and it needs to be done right.

BTW, no one wants this book shipping more than I do. It's a bit stressful :)

-Rick
Again I don't mean to push or add to any stress by any means, I have no doubt the end result will be worth the wait, I was just curious. Thank you for the response though Rick. The details made me smile.
Thanks for the update. Many of your enthusiastic followers, knowing what you have produced for us before, get into an anticipatory "tension" when we are so desirous of this "bizzaro" work of art as you have detailed....
I will try to delve into my closet of magick and distract myself for another couple of weeks..in meditation of what is ahead...,.Ohhhhmmmmmm..! :fruity: :napping: :readingbook:
Thanks for the update Rick!

I sure don't mind waiting a bit for this. Excited yet patient.
FANTASTIC !

I can tell you Rick Roth works his ass off and, when all is said, done and delivered, his customers end up with classic incredible effects that can be enjoyed for a lifetime.
WORTH ANY WAIT.

Thanks Rick, for sharing your vision and creativity with us.
Ah... ok... you talked me into it. I was going to ask for a refund and go by a case of Invisible Decks... but since you said the magic word "please"... I'll wait :)
Sounds very interesting. I can't wait!!
Rick

Update?
[quote]On Apr 15, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
Rick

Update? [/quote]
Ditto,.....maybe by Monday can we get an update?.....tempus is fugiting....all over the place!
Really appreciate occasional check ins...Thanks

:worry:
For those seeking an update: I've been consulting with Rick on Ash and have spoken with him over the last few days. Based on our conversations I feel comfortable in reporting that Ash will indeed be on the presses this coming week and in your hands shortly thereafter.
Thanks for the update, G-Man ! :-)
Rick or anyone else in the know, there any word when this will actually start shipping out to us?
Yes, please update.....trying to be patient, but we're into May already..!
:worry: :thanx:
May is a good month :) I can say that books will be here in the next week and that's where we are at. We did add some more "extras" to the package including a "recently found" photo of a childrens birthday party circa 1961 that will stun your spectators when you show it at the end of the presentation.

Everything is not what it seems with Alice. Not trying to tease, but she does have a multiple personality disorder.

Buyers will have this book shortly. You will be performing Ash this month, sooner than later. I also am very very appreciative of the fact that the book is a few months late and no one has sent me to the gallows yet.

It is a 150 book limited edition and there are almost 50 books sold, so if you have not purchased it, do not worry, there are almost 100 units still available and after it comes out I would say they will be available for several weeks.

The price is going to $175 full retail next week.

I will update this thread on Monday.

-Rick
Thanks Rick
Fantastic ... Way to go Roth !
[quote]On May 1, 2014, Roth wrote:
Everything is not what it seems with Alice. Not trying to tease, but she does have a multiple personality disorder.
-Rick [/quote]

I'm now a little confused. The cover of the book you displayed a number of comments back says "childhood schizophrenia" and the title of this thread is "Ash-Diary of an 8 year old schizophrenic," yet you say above she has MPD. They are not the same disorder, no where near the same. Isn't that a LARGE hole in this concept? Explain?
[quote]On May 1, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
-Rick [/quote]

I'm now a little confused. The cover of the book you displayed a number of comments back says "childhood schizophrenia" and the title of this thread is "Ash-Diary of an 8 year old schizophrenic," yet you say above she has MPD. They are not the same disorder, no where near the same. Isn't that a LARGE hole in this concept? Explain? [/quote]

There are many clinical documentations of the rare combination of a subject having both disorders. Rare in children. Over 200 documented cases that were studied.

It can be presented as either. Alice has issues with reality and who she is.
Talking about issues Rick, while your here can you check your inbox please and answer, thanks
-Rick [/quote]

I'm now a little confused. The cover of the book you displayed a number of comments back says "childhood schizophrenia" and the title of this thread is "Ash-Diary of an 8 year old schizophrenic," yet you say above she has MPD. They are not the same disorder, no where near the same. Isn't that a LARGE hole in this concept? Explain? [/quote]

There are many clinical documentations of the rare combination of a subject having both disorders. Rare in children. Over 200 documented cases that were studied.

It can be presented as either. Alice has issues with reality and who she is. [/quote]

I wouldn't mind seeing a link to those studies. I spent 3 years researching and developing the stage version of "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden," one of the definitive fictionalize accounts of schizophrenia, and my play also delves into the real life of Dr. Fried (the books fictionalized doctor) who was Dr. Frieda Fromm-Reichmann. I worked with the "Rose Garden" books author Joanne Greenberg (the subject of "Rose Garden") and Fromm-Reichmann's biographer Dr. Gail Hornstein.

This topic came up many times, both in my research, discussions with Greenberg and Dr. Hornstein, and in scouring related books on the subject. And that included talk backs with the cast of the original stage show and a number of well know psychiatrists, where that subject came up from the cast asking questions during rehearsals.

While a schizophrenic can have a disassociative break with themselves, they do not ever have one of their "voices" in their head, or one of the characters in their inner world suddenly take over their own personality. The closest I can see happening is that the person is misdiagnosed with one disorder or the other.

I'm not trying to cause trouble. Not that I can't script it out and work with it but I wouldn't mind a link to an actual scholarly discussion on your ascertains.
No where in her diary is there any reference by Alice to any type of disorder. You can make the presentation yours. There is something definitely wrong with her. The study says Schizophrenia. Now a days it could have been diagnosed many ways. This was 55 years ago and the child was never actually diagnosed, only her diary was.

You will love what you can do with this book Al. I have faith in you to blow yer audience away :)
-Rick [/quote]

It can be presented as either. Alice has issues with reality and who she is. [/quote]

I wouldn't mind seeing a link to those studies. I spent 3 years researching and developing the stage version of "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden," one of the definitive fictionalize accounts of schizophrenia, and my play also delves into the real life of Dr. Fried (the books fictionalized doctor) who was Dr. Frieda Fromm-Reichmann. I worked with the "Rose Garden" books author Joanne Greenberg (the subject of "Rose Garden") and Fromm-Reichmann's biographer Dr. Gail Hornstein.

This topic came up many times, both in my research, discussions with Greenberg and Dr. Hornstein, and in scouring related books on the subject. And that included talk backs with the cast of the original stage show and a number of well know psychiatrists, where that subject came up from the cast asking questions during rehearsals.

While a schizophrenic can have a disassociative break with themselves, they do not ever have one of their "voices" in their head, or one of the characters in their inner world suddenly take over their own personality. The closest I can see happening is that the person is misdiagnosed with one disorder or the other.

I'm not trying to cause trouble. Not that I can't script it out and work with it but I wouldn't mind a link to an actual scholarly discussion on your ascertains. [/quote]
I have over 50 yrs experience inserios mental illness and a professional degree.
The DSM (diagnostic manual) used by psychiatry has altered various diagnosis over the past few decades, so what is incuded as an "Axis I and/or Axis II diagnosis (there are five axes in the diagnostic coding and statistical system) has changed over the years.
But the point I want to make is that certain personality disorders (e.g. "Borderline Personality Disorder" BPD) is not an unusual Axis II diagnostic category. So, although granted to be very rare as any diagnosis of childhood schizophrenia is, an Axis II diagnosis of MPD, multiple personality disorder is within reason,
Inmy early career days I was assigned to a young woman in her twenties, a twin who had been with her sister at age 18 months when the twin dramatically and drastically die. I t was notthe only source of her trauma, but during hehospitaization with a diagnosis of schizophrenia which was not resondng well to treatment, she was seen by specialist of Harvard Medical School, who ended up adding a diagnosis of Multiple Personality Disorder, which actualy is now coded as DID, Dissociative Identity Disorder.
So, please Al, realize, these diagnoses are not rooted in a science like physics, but mental health "science" is still not as far along as the "hard" sciences.
ASH will be a credible offering to perform...!!
:readingbook:
The world of DSM diagnosis is every bit as political and reflective of the culture at large as it is medically based. While the medications for schizophrenia are improved over what was available when I came into the field 30 years ago, our actual knowledge about schizophrenia and D.I.D remains limited. That fifty-five years ago Ash could have been dianosed with both or either, along with a host of other "disorders," is completely consistent. It all seems grist for the backstory mill in any case, something to savor in developing your performance and spin as you wish, and definitely not something to fret over.

(By the way, during a quick google search I came across someone who stated that their primary diagnosis is D.I.D but one of their alters suffers from schizophrenia!)
Actually such diagnosis still occurs today. Between 2004 and 2011, I was working in a program that specialized in treating people diagnosed with with D.I.D. Many of them had received diagnoses of schizophrenia early in life, along with other diagnoses, before receiving an MPD or DID diagnossis and receiving treatment that addressed their trauma background. Again, the limitations of science and larger societal forces are at play as diagnoses wax and wane in popularity. More backstory if you so desire!
[quote]On May 1, 2014, Bill Cushman wrote:
The world of DSM diagnosis is every bit as political and reflective of the culture at large as it is medically based. While the medications for schizophrenia are improved over what was available when I came into the field 30 years ago, our actual knowledge about schizophrenia and D.I.D remains limited. That fifty-five years ago Ash could have been dianosed with both or either, along with a host of other "disorders," is completely consistent. It all seems grist for the backstory mill in any case, something to savor in developing your performance and spin as you wish, and definitely not something to fret over.

(By the way, during a quick google search I came across someone who stated that their primary diagnosis is D.I.D but one of their alters suffers from schizophrenia!) [/quote]

I will take your last line as humor?

And all I said was I never heard of someone being diagnosed with both, at the same time, nor did any of the professionals I was dealing with during my 3 years of research. In searches I came across a lot of forums where people were basically self-diagnosing that they had schizophrenia and D.I.D, but nary a case study.

Over the years it has been argued that Joanne Greenberg herself was misdiagnosed and there has been claims that she was not cured of schizophrenia, because she never had it. Some doctors claimed that she was actually suffering from a somatization disorder.

I have no doubt "Ash" will be one of the best tests that Outlaw has ever produced. I am not questioning the value of the product. And I understand it is a prop, not a masters thesis. And Rick knows that I respect him and his products, beyond fail. I simply had questions, I simply am doing my due-diligence. I normally write my own scripts for these sort of props and I was asking questions in preparation for working with this prop.

(And no one has still produced a link to a diagnosed case of schizophrenia/D.I.D)
Anyway...

I am so looking forward to getting my hands on this... especially now since I made such a stink about it :coolspot:
Al, that last line was not at all humor but a quote from an online forum. I don't make light of such things.

Diagnoses follow people around for life. So someone, like a number of men and women in the treatment program I mentioned, can easily be given the diagnosis of schizophrenia early on then diagnosed with D.I.D. years later and both would be mentioned in any decent evaluation.

I'm not about to do a thorough review of the literature over this but upon a quick search there is nothing jumping out at me to suggest there is a definitive answer to whether or not shcizophrenia and D.I.D. can be comorbid or not. I certainly don't see anything in the criteria where one would exclude the other so there is no reason to believe them mutually exclusive. The one reference to a psychiatric text dealing with this topic that I came across said it is rare. But rare means it exists in their opionion. Ash seems pretty rare as well.

But for me, again, the lack of any firm answer to this question if anything suggests possible plotlines. It is all so speculative that I predict you can find data to support whatever position you hold or want to weave into a backstory for Ash.
I see a possibility to use a presentation where any diagnosis is under doubt... leading to a supernatural explanation gaining credence.
I could see Roth complimenting this with "Alice's toy box".......... :-)
[quote]On May 1, 2014, Bill Cushman wrote:

Al, I
I will
And all I said was I never heard of someone being diagnosed with both, at the same time, nor did any of the professionals I was dealing with during my 3 years of research. In searches I came across a lot of forums where people were basically self-diagnosing that they had schizophrenia and D.I.D, but nary a case study.

Over the years it has been argued that Joanne Greenberg herself was misdiagnosed and there has been claims that she was not cured of schizophrenia, because she never had it. Some doctors claimed that she was actually suffering from a somatization disorder.

I have no doubt "Ash" will be one of the best tests that Outlaw has ever produced. I am not questioning the value of the product. And I understand it is a prop, not a masters thesis. And Rick knows that I respect him and his products, beyond fail. I simply had questions, I simply am doing my due-diligence. I normally write my own scripts for these sort of props and I was asking questions in preparation for working with this prop.

(And no one has still produced a link to a diagnosed case of schizophrenia/D.I.D) [/quote]
Al, apparently you did not understand that I personally worked with the patient I mentioned, the twin diagnosed with Scizophrenia and MPD. I would not, nor could, not reveal her name, which I still remember, and I am not sure what link would satisfy you...but I am teling you of an actual, real case...not a link to some report. INMHO you will be able to create a very credible and convincing script and a performance of ASH despite your concern for such details. :ohyes:
[quote]On May 1, 2014, Merlinsmagic wrote:
I could see Roth complimenting this with "Alice's toy box".......... :-) [/quote]

Oh. OH, OHHH....... This would be fantabulous.......

Until then, one could retrofit a H-bb's B-x as one, but it's a tad small.
BTW - Is the girls name Alice or Ash (as in Ashley). I have seen both, here.
None of the above, multiple names are for the purposes of obfuscation, earlier in the thread Rick states:

"I just want to note that the name Ash and Alice and the Hopkins University are for posting and webpage google protection.
Alice, Ash and Hopkins University are not the actual names on and in the book so feel free to refer to them as that."
[quote]On May 1, 2014, Doc Ben wrote:
Al, apparently you did not understand that I personally worked with the patient I mentioned, the twin diagnosed with Scizophrenia and MPD. I would not, nor could, not reveal her name, which I still remember, and I am not sure what link would satisfy you...but I am teling you of an actual, real case...not a link to some report. INMHO you will be able to create a very credible and convincing script and a performance of ASH despite your concern for such details. :ohyes: [/quote]

Where did I ask you to revel her name?

Rick said he knew of at least 200 cases of "rare" comorbid schizophrenic/D.I.D. I simply questioned that. I could not find any case studies on line (nor in my personal library).

I never asked you personally to revel anything.
Rick, be sure to send out ASH to the people who ordered first ! :-)
So, that we can enjoy and have our OWN take on it !
Prefer that, to learning about it on this thread !

Looking forward to this !

Gary
Yeah, I'll second what the G-man said.
Totally agree with the lizard!
13 AGREES with Godzilla !
Who is this lizard dude?
He has got a new movie coming out real soon...
[quote]On May 2, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
Who is this lizard dude? [/quote]

Al, yout turning into the "Antifun" !

The Power of Humor I compel you

and, so on ...

And, No Spoilers on the new "GODZILLA" movie...05/16/2014 ! LOL

Lizzy
Thanks Brynmore.

[quote]On May 2, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
None of the above, multiple names are for the purposes of obfuscation, earlier in the thread Rick states:

"I just want to note that the name Ash and Alice and the Hopkins University are for posting and webpage google protection.
Alice, Ash and Hopkins University are not the actual names on and in the book so feel free to refer to them as that." [/quote]
ASH, is going to be Killer !

The Brainchild of Rick, the likes of Bobby & Gary involved...this, will be like no other !
Yeah bro, the anticipation at this point is intense! It looks like nothing that has ever been done before. Something utterly unique!
I hit the paypal button yesterday!
[quote]On May 2, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
[quote]On May 1, 2014, Doc Ben wrote:
Al, apparently you did not understand that I personally worked with the patient I mentioned, the twin diagnosed with Scizophrenia and MPD. I would not, nor could, not reveal her name, which I still remember, and I am not sure what link would satisfy you...but I am teling you of an actual, real case...not a link to some report. INMHO you will be able to create a very credible and convincing script and a performance of ASH despite your concern for such details. :ohyes: [/quote]

Where did I ask you to revel her name?
Al, obviously you did not ask for her name. My point was you asked for a link,...apparently for some study or research which woudld show you evidence of schizophrenia and MPD as dual diagnoses. Therefore, my point was to repeat that I personally had worked with a particular case (actually more than one over the years) in which I was verifying for you that in the real world of working with the seriously mentally ill, such dual diagnoses exist.
I realize now that you prefer the credibility of a link to a research report, not knowing anything about my professional history. I am okay with that. (I will not present my resume here, which includes peer-reviewed research publication in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology).
I am sure we will all find much of worthy and credible back story and content to perform an amazing and incredible as well as credible piece of mystery....one of OA's finest as a legacy I am certain!

Rick said he knew of at least 200 cases of "rare" comorbid schizophrenic/D.I.D. I simply questioned that. I could not find any case studies on line (nor in my personal library).

I never asked you personally to revel anything. [/quote]
:fyi:
Just put in my pre order on Paypal :-) Looking forward to this one !!
Really, really, really excited about this. Love all my books from Outlaw and this one seems especially special. Very cool.
So what's the good word for Mondays update Rick ? :-)
Looks like it's time to start building the gallows, everyone, grab your torches and pitchforks! Rick, what happened to the Monday update?
The usual chaos that is my life :)

I'm soooo close to this book shipping. You guys will have it this month is the fairest estimate I can give. Depends on how quick they're bound as to whether it will be close to the 15th when they're here.

I did add some very interesting extras to the package including a disturbing old photograph.

I will update in a few days. No question that they are shipping this month is the bottom line. Estimate around the 15th so don't build those gallows. I always come through and this has been a brutally complex and time consuming book.

I've already tortured myself and put myself through pain with this so no additional pain is need at this time.

Thank you again and this project is just about through.
Very much looking forward to this.
[quote]On May 7, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
Very much looking forward to this. [/quote]

You, Me & at least 50 Others...
Beautiful !
[quote]On May 7, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
Very much looking forward to this. [/quote]

YES, indeed!
Thanks for the update, Rick.....expecting an awesome package opening experience later this month...!! :banana: :carrot: :pepper:
Man I wish I could afford this...
[quote]On May 7, 2014, Doc Ben wrote:
Thanks for the update, Rick.....expecting an awesome package opening experience later this month...!! :banana: :carrot: :pepper: [/quote]
I forgot to add that I love "disturbing old photographs".....and the effect they can have on specs...! :coolspot:
We are currently shooting a very short horror movie with a 12 year old who is a little more than disturbed, so looking forward to this release. Children bring a strong dynamic to the empathetic response that most people can easily connect with. It's creepier and more sad in some respect as it plays on lost youth and innocence.
Yay!
Any shipping updates on these Rick ? :-)
I just got an email from Rick saying they should be ready to go about the 20th of the month.
[quote]On May 15, 2014, AnthonyJD wrote:
I just got an email from Rick saying they should be ready to go about the 20th of the month. [/quote]

WOO-HOO......Thank you Anthony for the FYI, I know Rick is slaving away getting these ready & hasn't had time to pop in here.
Yes he is. And he always answers my emails in a timely manner. I guess the project is more involved than initially realized. Either way can't wait to get mine.
Rick has always replied back to me pretty quick also. I haven't emailed him as it is what it is & I figured this one ran him over like an unplanned freight train.......but he is a trooper & will give us one hell of a big bang for our bucks !! :-) He always does !!
Yeah, that's right,
it's coming soon. This is special.
Although it's been a verrrry long wait, I know from past dealings that Rick and OA always end up satisfying with marvelous product, props and routines....as I trust ASH will be so I will be happy if I get mine by the end of the month! Maybe Monday we get an update?
:worry: :banana:
And, I thought the wait for 'Godzilla 2014' was killing me ! :-)
We got this going for us:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=553581&forum=14
Just got my hands on a copy of Ash a few weeks ago and performed it the other night. Fantastic! Of course, the book is just a tool so you have to work it a bit as with any routine like this. But all in all, it's great!
For those of you who have this: has this stood the test of time? I have wanted this for a long time, and read the glowing reviews upon it's release, but now, long after it's release, do you still use it? think highly of it? how does it compare to Room Service, or WA?
I loved the book itself as a prop. Awesome idea and premise, and I think it could have been truly great. However, in my personal opinion it fell a bit short, mainly because I’m not a big fan of the particular methodology used. That is just a purely personal gripe, I know some folks love it. Also, and again this might be personal because I am in the mental health field, but the explanatory text by the NIMH guy just didn’t ring true for me; just didn’t sound like a psychiatric profrssional would communicate about this topic... Again, purely a personal thing. I sold mine for those reasons, but overall it was splendid and certainly creepy and well done. One of Rick’s best, shortly before Outlaw’s big public downfall. (I also think it would be possible to improve the method by adding annotations and notes throughout the text strategically, sort of like [i]Most Haunted House in England[/i]...)

Seth
I never used the book in performance but as a prop, it was great. Another Café' member and I did an online drama and I used the book as proof what he had was really haunted. (a doll that looked like the one drawn in the book). It was so disturbing that some of his friends wanted to call the police, so we had to let them in on the secret a few at a time. Was a lot of fun. Like Seth says, it probably wouldn't pass the trained eye of a professional, but most of the people wouldn't know those differences. Selling the spectator on why you actually have the book is the issue for me; requires suspension of disbelief.

Have thought about selling mine several times, but always change my mind.
Does anyone know who owns the rights to produce this item now that Outlaw has gone belly up? Is anyone planning on producing a new edition?
[quote]On May 7, 2014, Roth wrote:
The usual chaos that is my life :)

I'm soooo close to this book shipping. You guys will have it this month is the fairest estimate I can give. Depends on how quick they're bound as to whether it will be close to the 15th when they're here.

I did add some very interesting extras to the package including a disturbing old photograph.

I will update in a few days. No question that they are shipping this month is the bottom line. Estimate around the 15th so don't build those gallows. I always come through and this has been a brutally complex and time consuming book.

I've already tortured myself and put myself through pain with this so no additional pain is need at this time.

Thank you again and this project is just about through. [/quote]

I don't remember the photograph. Did anyone recieve that with their book? I have been rereading this old thread. I think this is such typical Rick hype. An era has ended. It was fun.
No photo here. Wonder what it would look like?
There was a photo of the little girl that was sent as a PDF.

I guess I was lucky enough to receive it.

Steve, PM me your email if you’d like the pic and I’d be happy to send it over to you.

Willie, I have your email so just let me know if you’d like it.
[quote]On Jun 22, 2018, Sean Gem wrote:
There was a photo of the little girl that was sent as a PDF.

I guess I was lucky enough to receive it.

Steve, PM me your email if you’d like the pic and I’d be happy to send it over to you.

Willie, I have your email so just let me know if you’d like it. [/quote]

I definitely want a copy. Thanks Sean.
I always liked the sound of the Ash story line but it sounds like not many people are that happy with it as an actual effect. I was hoping to pick up a second-hand copy sometime but it sounds like my money might be better spent on something else.
[quote]On Jul 29, 2018, BizarreRich wrote:
I always liked the sound of the Ash story line but it sounds like not many people are that happy with it as an actual effect. I was hoping to pick up a second-hand copy sometime but it sounds like my money might be better spent on something else. [/quote]

I still think it is a good.prop for my purpose, but not for anyone who just wants to do a trick. Storytelling magic goes well beyond the. "Hey!Look at this!" A thumb tip in the amateurs hand is noticible, but in the professional's it could be orange and never noticed. It is the same in most book tests, it depends upon the art of the teller.

So, you are right, it may not be for you. Only you can determine that.
Thanks for that weepinwill. I think I might keep my eye out for a cheapish copy and if one appears I might try and grab it. If nothing else it could be a cool prop to go along with Luna.
[quote]On Jul 29, 2018, BizarreRich wrote:
Thanks for that weepinwill. I think I might keep my eye out for a cheapish copy and if one appears I might try and grab it. If nothing else it could be a cool prop to go along with Luna. [/quote]

Good luck on that. If anything, I expect Ash will sell for more now than when retailed.
There is a person on the Café that just offered to sell me ASH for $110. Don't know if that is cheap or not, but it's out there.
[quote]On Jul 30, 2018, greerj wrote:
There is a person on the Café that just offered to sell me ASH for $110. Don't know if that is cheap or not, but it's out there. [/quote]

More than retail but less than I would sell mine, so I would think it a fair price.
I know that Vic recently obtained the rights to some effects from Outlaw Effects but if I remember rightly this didn't include Ash. So I guess there is little chance of it being reproduced which probably means the price of copies will only continue to rise.
[quote]On Jul 30, 2018, BizarreRich wrote:
I know that Vic recently obtained the rights to some effects from Outlaw Effects but if I remember rightly this didn't include Ash. So I guess there is little chance of it being reproduced which probably means the price of copies will only continue to rise. [/quote]

Won't make the repro an original outlaw production either.
If anyone is interested in selling theirs please PM me.
$110 is a great price for ASH—seriously doubt you’ll find cheaper....
[quote]On Oct 31, 2018, Seth speaks wrote:
$110 is a great price for ASH—seriously doubt you’ll find cheaper.... [/quote]

I wouldn't sell mine for less than $175, so you are correct that $110 is a great price. Didn't it originally sell for $125?
[quote]On Oct 31, 2018, weepinwil wrote:
[quote]On Oct 31, 2018, Seth speaks wrote:
$110 is a great price for ASH—seriously doubt you’ll find cheaper.... [/quote]

I wouldn't sell mine for less than $175, so you are correct that $110 is a great price. Didn't it originally sell for $125? [/quote]

If I remember correctly, I believe it sold for $165 originally and after a while was dropped to $125.

But now that it’s no longer available, I’d guess it should command quite more than the original price.
Okay. Here's a loaded question that I do not remotely know the answer to. Who came up with the concepts of Outlaw Effects' offerings? Was it just Rick, or a collaboration, or both?

I suspect it was Rick who led the charge of suggesting ideas for premises, routines, and effects to his builders, but simply stole the results of their efforts and claimed them as his own. Can any of the creators and/or builders offer input and context here? The whole tragic rise and fall of this company intrigues me. Not due to pity for its demise, but for the wasted energy and money it's cost the creators and supporters who were sucked into the Outlaw Effects vortex.
[quote]On Oct 31, 2018, Wizard of Oz wrote:
The whole tragic rise and fall of this company intrigues me. Not due to pity for its demise, but for the wasted energy and money it's cost the creators and supporters who were sucked into the Outlaw Effects vortex. [/quote]
Sounds like a good potential for a book.
[quote]On Nov 2, 2018, Intrepid wrote:
[quote]On Oct 31, 2018, Wizard of Oz wrote:
The whole tragic rise and fall of this company intrigues me. Not due to pity for its demise, but for the wasted energy and money it's cost the creators and supporters who were sucked into the Outlaw Effects vortex. [/quote]

Especially the supporters who were sucked in with promises that never saw the light of reality.
I purchased Ash back when it came out...looked it over when it arrived...decided it wasn't for me...and stored it away in a tub. Somewhere. Perhaps I should look for it.
I’ve just managed to purchase Ash for a very good price and am eagerly awaiting it’s arrival . I already have the instructional pdf but it’s difficult to imagine without the prop in hand . As the forum is no longer available I may well be after some advice from you guys
[quote]On Mar 21, 2019, roblane wrote:
I’ve just managed to purchase Ash for a very good price and am eagerly awaiting it’s arrival . I already have the instructional pdf but it’s difficult to imagine without the prop in hand . As the forum is no longer available I may well be after some advice from you guys [/quote]

My advice is to increase your fire insurance coverage.
Sage advice my friend, thanks :)
It’s landed and it’s wonderfully creepy! Any tips on writing the notes for best effect would be very much appreciated, I’d like it be as authentic as possible
[quote]On Mar 27, 2019, roblane wrote:
It’s landed and it’s wonderfully creepy! Any tips on writing the notes for best effect would be very much appreciated, I’d like it be as authentic as possible [/quote]

It plays without notes just as well. Sometimes less is more, so don't over do it.
If you don’t make the notes , how do you guide the spec to the appropriate entries?
[quote]On Mar 28, 2019, roblane wrote:
If you don’t make the notes , how do you guide the spec to the appropriate entries? [/quote]

I haven't looked at it in a while (a few years) so I would have to re-look at it, but mine is not noted.
I have just discovered another thread on here that has a link to a letter to a Dr that may well suit my needs
[quote]On Mar 28, 2019, roblane wrote:
I have just discovered another thread on here that has a link to a letter to a Dr that may well suit my needs [/quote]

Give me the link so I can see it if you don't mind.

Also, if I remember correctly, there is a poem that goes with the book that I think could be used to guide the spectator.
Here ya go
http://newton.acrossthebow.com/nimh_letterhead.docx
[quote]On Apr 2, 2019, roblane wrote:
Here ya go
http://newton.acrossthebow.com/nimh_letterhead.docx [/quote]

Thanks