(Close Window)
Topic: Developing a show for adults
I typically perform at kid shows, but have been hired to perform for about 30 adults in a small room with chairs. I have 20+ of experience,but not with adult shows. Any suggestions on where to look to help me develop a 45-min act? Any tricks that you would definitely do for this size of audience? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Subcontract with a magician who performs adult parties.
So you took a booking for a crowd with which you have no performing experience?

Dynamike's a smart guy, do what he says!

I'd find someone qualified in your area and pass the booking along to him.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 20:33, Dynamike wrote:
[/quote]

Surely someone wanting to break into the world of close up magic who has 20+ years experience of magic/kids shows will be better qualified to do a show for adults than a close up magician who is just starting out with zero performing experience.

Everyone has to start somewhere...
[quote]
On 2014-01-13 17:26, JustCraig wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Surely someone wanting to break into the world of close up magic who has 20+ years experience of magic/kids shows will be better qualified to do a show for adults than a close up magician who is just starting out with zero performing experience.

[/quote]

I agree. Look for routines that provide mystery, and you won't go wrong.
[quote]
[/quote]

Yes, but not with paid shows!
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Start small. Look at how much time he mentioned. Look at how many people he mentioned will be there. That can lead to an embarrassment to the purchaser and the magician. Everyone will leave unhappy that way. If it was a short 5 minute act, that would be different for a start. A few adults are better for starting off with. It is a paid show as Kevin verified. Take it step by step.
Is this a close up show? I didn't get that impression from the original message. The nice thing about having a small audience is that you can do anything from card magic to parlor magic. The biggest problem that I see is trying to come up with 45 minutes of entertainment. I would start out by seeing what routines can be adapted from your regular show, and go from there. I would use stuff like sponge balls, invisible deck, bill in lemon, thumb tie, sucker torn & restored napkin, maybe some mental tricks if you have any. I just hope that you have enough time to prepare properly.
The client is expecting a parlor sized show.
You've never done a show for adults?
I am a childrens entertainer at the moment, But I am putting a list together for some Adult close up work. is there such a dvd that gives advise on starting in close up. cheers from UK.
I have a question...

is it a bachelor party in which they are expecting a rowdy and raucous high energy show? That takes one type of skills, in which the magic can take a back seat to the off-color humor.

Or, is it a corporate banquet where they expect to be quietly amazed, and the magic should take front seat. It makes a difference.

Don't steal anyone's material, but you could check out you-tube performances for the style you are looking for...

Just a thought.
My advice is it is not about the "tricks" you suggested, it's about the entertainment. Very few adults get excite or entertained by your "tricks" as much as they will with you, your personality and your entertainment value.
My advice is it is not about the "tricks" you suggested, it's about the entertainment. Very few adults get excite or entertained by your "tricks" as much as they will with you, your personality and your entertainment value. Are you an entertainer or a magician?
[quote]
On Apr 2, 2014, wally wrote:
I am a childrens entertainer at the moment, But I am putting a list together for some Adult close up work. is there such a dvd that gives advise on starting in close up. cheers from UK.
[/quote]

You may like to check out http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/ for helpful training resources. I'm not paid by them, I just like what they do and how they do it. (And UK-based Andi Gladwin is one of the co-founders) :-)

- Mike
[quote]
On Apr 2, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
My advice is it is not about the "tricks" you suggested, it's about the entertainment. Very few adults get excite or entertained by your "tricks" as much as they will with you, your personality and your entertainment value. Are you an entertainer or a magician?
[/quote]

I suspect he is neither. This is one of those threads where the OP asks a question and then withdraws from the conversation. He claims 20+ years experience yet asks questions that reveal no appreciation for performing.
[quote]
On Jan 14, 2014, dearwiseone wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Yes, but not with paid shows!
[/quote]
My first show was a paid show. I don't believe in performing for free to build up experience.

Mindpro is right about the distinction between an entertainer and a magician. If you are a magician, Kippteacher, then you will have to learn a pile of new routines. If you are an entertainer, you will find it easy to make the transition. Just pick a few good effects (or perhaps adapt some of your kids routines for adults) and you may be all right. Best of luck.
I was one of those guys that charged for a show when I got started back in 1981. I had no clue what I was doing, I was an amature and very ignorant. Not only was I highly embarrassed, I'm sure the person who booked me did as well. Let me explain that I learned my lesson very quickly and became friends with a mentor who took me under his wing and taught me the correct way of entertaining an audience. Anyone can open up a trick deck of cards and do the trick, but doing just the trick is not the reason why we took on the title "Magician." If you can't entertain than you have no right taking on the title "Magician." Entertaining makes up the majority of who we are as performers, not the trick. Check out this link of my dollar bill switch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqjmzL5Xb0
As mindpro stated it is not the magic it is the entertainer when it comes to adults. they want to relate to you. and you need to relate to them

Michael finny comes to mind. I mean he does card on forehead, and a rope trick and gets 30 some minutes of laughs and fun out of it and every one has a great time. the magic is all stuff we do but it is his routine and patter and presentation and the relating to the audience that makes it so fun.

and where is the original poster!!!?

sam
Deleted duplicate post
sam
[quote]On Apr 3, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
I don't believe in performing for free to build up experience.[/quote]

I saw Tony's statement and it brought to mind some advice from Tony Award Winner Jay Johnson:
http://entertainment-experts.com/chips-of-granite/
I don't disagree with that, Tom. But you can get that stage experience and get paid as well. In fact, when I took the decision that I would perform for money, I began to get gigs. Putting yourself out there draws bookers.

I know plenty of people who perform at every opportunity at office parties, charity shows, etc, and at the end of a few years they are still doing a dozen gigs a year and not progressing. Your attitude changes when you charge, and that helps. The other thing that helps is that if you charge, you feel a pressure to perform. If you don't charge, you can phone in the performance. As amateurs often do.
Tony - I agree with you that charging for shows is a great way to jump in and excelerate show/skill development. The problem I have with with the OP is that he is taking paid gigs in markets he is unfamiliar with and then asking others what he should perform. Until you know what you are going to perform and have put a show together, you should not really be accepting a gig - paid or otherwise, in my opinion.
Charlie, as a teacher, I agree with you 100%. Two places you should never try to fly by the seat of your pants is, the classroom and the stage. Always have a plan, always know exactly what you are going to do at all times. If you are good at ad-libbing, and someone does something, or says something to take you off script.... Go for it. It might be fun... but have that plan, and be ready to get back to it.

Once you have the plan, take your show where ever you can, and charge what ever you can get.
This is a difficult question, one that we all have had to deal with at one point or another when we decided to accept fees for performing. Here's my take on it:

It would be a mistake for kippteacher1 to try to create an entirely new 45 minute show for adults from scratch and present it for a fee without previously working out and polishing the material beforehand.

First, from a business perspective, it is unethical for a performer sell himself or herself as capable of delivering something at a professional level unless he or she has some experience and/or training to do so. Just because I've seen my automobile mechanic work on my car and I have a basic knowledge of how an automobile works, it would be unethical for me to present myself as an experienced mechanic and offer to fix someone's car for a fee that is competitive with what professional mechanics charge.

On the other hand, if someone knows of my limited ability and still asks me to take a look at their car, and even offers to treat me to dinner if I can fix it, then I have no problem accepting, as long as that person understands up front my limitations. And of course, dinner is contingent upon me successfully fixing the car. If I could not deliver the results my client wants or expects, then I shouldn't take my client's money, or dinner for that matter. To present yourself as an experienced adult performer when you are not is problematic.

That being said, we don't know if that is the case in this instance. Perhaps kippteacher1's client is well aware of kippteacher1's lack of experience performing for adults but still wants to engage him or her. Maybe the fee is commensurable with the experience level. Was the fee offered a $100 honorarian for expenses or $1000 professional fee? We just don't know the details to make an ethical judgement regarding the business arrangement.

From a perfomance standpoint, a 45 minute act can take years and hundreds of perfomances to polish to a professional level. It would be a mistake to try to do that, particularly for a fee. My next question is, do you really need to create a new act? I often perform the same material for adults as well as children. If the magic you perform for children is strong magic, then there is no reason it can't work for adults. Just set it up differently. I've had success performing the Die Box for adults by reframing the presentation as something that I witnesed as a child at my first magic show. Don't try to create an entirely new act. Just rework your existing material to work for adults. Then volunteer at a few, or many, senior centers and adult homes to work on the presentation beforehand.

I suspect, however that this solution might not work because, as charliecheckers points out, he is asking us what he should perform. After 20+ years of experience, regardless of whether its for adults or children, one should have a pretty good idea how to create an act that entertains. If you don't know how to do that, don't take the gig, especially for a fee.

Jim
Developing a Show for Adults takes years of experience. Also, the age of the Adults also matters. I have different Adult Shows for Younger Adults and Older Adults.
Even the Venue and number of Adults can change what I will perform in my Shows. This may seem obvious but choose material that is fairly strong and also something you have success with.
Wow... this post is 7 years old... so, um... how did the show go?

Just kidding. Actually, if you had 20 years performing experience... even for kids, which is amazing btw, I think you probably did great.

~Oscar