(Close Window)
Topic: Show us a trick - no props with you.
It's question that you are always asked when people know that you do magic. I'm just getting back into magic after several years due to my son showing an interest and have always been asked to 'Show us a trick' when I'm out with a group of friends. I've always given the same reply over the last few years in that I gave up magic and don't do it anymore.

So my question is, in preparation for the next time I'm asked, what is the best trick you recommend when asked this question? Needs to be a trick where you have no props with you, only what is around you in a restaurant or bar etc.

Be good to hear what you recommend so that I can start practicing and getting back into some close up work.
Vanishing Salt Shaker is my go to effect if I don't have anything on me. This simple effect always kills.
Sorry about a similar post again!! Did do a search but nothing came up that was relevant.
Take a look at Doc Hilford's E'voke. Some powerful tools there.
Check out On The Spot by Greg Wilson. Some great impromptu stuff including Some coins, which are always available. If I had to perform stuff with borrowed coins, I would probably do his 3/4 across (a in the hands 3 coins across which is very, very fooling) followed by a 1 coin routine that includes some body loading on the spectator and perhaps ends by changing into a beer mat rather than a jumbo coin.
Way to go is definitely to borrow a coin or a bill. And as David mentioned, Greg Wilson's On the Spot DVD has some great stuff. There's a nice "sponge ball" routine with rolled-up paper napkins.
In fact, Bobo's coin magic is free online as a pdf and has enough to put a good routine together. Look at "gone" in the vanishes section to learn how to do coin to shoulder, which gets great reactions and used to be my finale when I first started coin magic. Carrying some rubber bands in your wallet also opens up a lot of options, as you can do rubber band and bill tricks.
Torn and restored napkin, borrow four quarters do a coins across, John Carney's coin and glass that ends with the glass vanishing (forgot the title, it's in Carneycopia)
Oh yeah, and Justin Miller's Neo Coin Matrix. Three coins and a card and you are ready to go.
Disappearing glass or salt shaker, coin through table or napkin, equivoque are a few that come to mind. Mentalism effects using nothing more than pencil and paper will also fry the minds of the spectators if done well. You may want to invest a bit of money in some books or DVD's to get a more thorough understanding.

Ray
If I have nothin on me.  I will make my little Finger disappear. I always have my fingers with me.
Hi
Here are a few thoughts
1. I second "on the spot". A must have.
2. You could put a few things in your wallet. I never leave home without my wallet or keys. I have stargazer and regular rubber bands, a gimmicked coin, and a bill effect (I currently like "Play Money").
3. Pick a good "bar bet" trick and learn it.
4. Learn one good coin trick with regular coins. "on the spot" has a few good ideas.
5. Learn one or two good card tricks with a regular deck. I do the first trick I ever learned at age 8.

Have fun!
KJ
Arm Twist
Balducci levitation
3 coins across (I use a version by Sankey and one by Wilson)/Coin Vanishes
Ring Thing move (where you pull your ring off and throw it back on finger)
Pen/Pencil manipulation/vanish
Coin in sugar packet (sweet surprise)
Knowledge is wealth. It is not tricks that make an act, you r THE ACT. If I had nothing on my hand for close up I can always entertain with borrowed coins, currency, paper, shoe lace, rings, watches, a load of mental effects,.......
This is your show you shud do it, if a dancer /singer can do impromptu, you as a magician shud develop your skill level to do impromptu.... I detest those magicians who say "sorry I didn't get any of my stuff" These are the people who make their props the reason of the magic happening not "THE MAGICIAN"
Bottom line- LOVE magic, LEARN magic, PERFECT magic.
Regards,
Raj.
[quote]
On 2014-01-21 09:37, RajeshLGov wrote:
Knowledge is wealth. It is not tricks that make an act, you r THE ACT. If I had nothing on my hand for close up I can always entertain with borrowed coins, currency, paper, shoe lace, rings, watches, a load of mental effects,.......
This is your show you shud do it, if a dancer /singer can do impromptu, you as a magician shud develop your skill level to do impromptu.... I detest those magicians who say "sorry I didn't get any of my stuff" These are the people who make their props the reason of the magic happening not "THE MAGICIAN"
Bottom line- LOVE magic, LEARN magic, PERFECT magic.
Regards,
Raj.
[/quote]

So True. I love having props but you'd never catch me saying "Sorry, I don't have my stuff with me". That being said, I also agree with a poster above who reminded us that we're not trained monkeys who have to perform on a whim over and over jus because we're asked. I work in schools. The kids have asked me to levitate over and over. I finally found myself at the top of a stairway, all the students positioned perfectly at the bottom and I levitated. I heard shrieks and screams and they wanted my autograph. It may not have been as impressive if I did it on a whim and didn't build it up.
Sorry but if you see a doctor at an event do you expect to get free diagnosis? Or a lawyer, if you ask him a question you get a bill in the mail. Same here, I am a professional which means I perform when the money is on the table, no money, no magic.
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is solid gold.
Magicfish is correct. Excellent resource!
[quote]
On 2014-01-21 11:21, Paddy wrote:
Sorry but if you see a doctor at an event do you expect to get free diagnosis? Or a lawyer, if you ask him a question you get a bill in the mail. Same here, I am a professional which means I perform when the money is on the table, no money, no magic.
[/quote]

I think this is sad. I hope I never see the day where I would only perform magic for the money. Fortunately, I still love magic to the point where I enjoy the interaction with someone and seeing someone enjoy a magic moment.

KJ
Agreed. I enjoy the social aspect of it. I also enjoy making somebody's day more interesting. i.e - was in Subway yesterday and the price at the cashier was $6.46. I pulled out a 5 and appeared very embarrassed that I didn't have enough. Did a quick Kozlowski changing the 5 to a 20. The whole crew gathered around during this then thanked me because they were having a boring shift. In fact, I met one of my best friends that way. I think it's a contextual thing. If they're demanding that you perform or you're just not in the mood (which happens) or perhaps the timing/setting/environment isn't optimal then I have no problem declining. It's a quite potent passion and a majority of the time I love performing just as much as the spectator likes watching.
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is a must read!

MM
Greg Wilson Questionable coin trick from on the spot

begins at 1:17 in : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2dIHhYDYCM
As a mentalist, I usually perform icurveball (if person has a suitable phone) or maybe something involving a CT.
It is a rare, RARE thing not to have SOMETHING on me. Like...when in the shower or mowing the lawn. And even when mowing the lawn, I may yet have a silver dollar, poker chip or some other coin-like item in my pocket! I always have silver dollars on me when out of the house, (there's even a Morgan silver dollar in a compartment in my wallet - and I never leave home without my wallet). So I can do coin routines. If I don't have at least one coin on me, (again, a near impossibility), then I would borrow a coin or other small item and go through a routine of vanishes and appearances.
How can one NOT have a coin handy? I always leave the house with a coin shell and nest of wallets to play around. To the above who only performs for money..pity on you. Some of my most fun moments have been performing/practicing for kids/adults at the deli line or supermarket. Priceless.
Gregory Wilson - Coffee House Conjuring is a must perfect for Starbucks but can be adapted for most other public places.
The man is a genius!

CS
"Show me a trick? Show me your money!"

Borrow a coin or two, and do a mini coin routine.
Borrow a couple of bills of different value, and do "roll the bills" from Mark Wilson's book.

In both cases, keep the change :)

P!
Yes! Martin Gardner's "IMPROMPTU MAGIC" (I KNOW the book 'cuz I helped it to get published when I was staying in the "CHARLIE MILLER SUITE" at MAGIC INC.

I sold Avner Eisenberg his first TT at "Inc.". He later told me that he "got" most of his act out of Gardner's book! Avner toured with the KARAMAZOV BROTHERS.

The skills and knowledge that you carry in your head, are a lot lighter than props in a trunk!
Yes, On the Spot by Gregory Wilson is all about the impromptu.
Agree with the rest - definately check out On the Spot by Greg Wilson
Also Lifesavers by Michael Weber - great book on "Improvised vs Impromptu Magic"
My keychain and wallet is loaded with a bunch of different effects so I'm always ready (Check out Linkey by Alan Rorrison, and Play Money by Nick Diffatte)
If there's pen and paper/napkin handy you can do mentalism
And don't forget to check out Disjointed by Joe Russell! Fantastic version of the arm twist illusion

- Yazz
Message: Posted by: Dan Eckert Illusionist (Mar 16, 2014 08:01PM)
Always carry a deck of cards with you. If there is one thing I ever learned, a deck of cards should be in a pocket at all times. 52 possibilities awaiting at a moments notice... Plus, what screams "magician" more than a guy who always is prepared with a deck of cards?
I have to disagree with always carrying cards with you - don't get me wrong, I love card magic. However, unless they're already lying around in the space or someone hands them to you, it seems too prepared. It doesn't seem impromptu for a casual situation.

- Yazz
When someone asks me to see a trick and I don't have anything with me which is a rare occurance because I always have cards with me I do the thumb through ear just as a quick trick and tell them I will show them more later!
Hope that helps
-Josh
A simple mantalism / prediction usually dose it

CS
Another thumbs up for "on the spot" from me!
I did Flipstick with a pencil at the corner store in Hermon, Maine a couple years ago. These folks apparently have never seen magic. I was so pleased to have thrilled them with a pencil and a few quarters!

Doug
[quote]
On Mar 17, 2014, yazz wrote:
I have to disagree with always carrying cards with you - don't get me wrong, I love card magic. However, unless they're already lying around in the space or someone hands them to you, it seems too prepared. It doesn't seem impromptu for a casual situation.

- Yazz
[/quote]

Yazz, I agree 110% if it ain't there where you are already then it does not seem like magic... someone said, can't remember who, "If I were to pull out a ham sandwich there is no magic involved with that but if someone were to say I'm hungry and you make one appear then magic has taken place." Not sure if those are the exact words but I think you get what I'm trying to say. For that reason I try to focus on items that we all carry everyday like coins and bills or maybe something that might be found lying around. If you pull out a deck of cards they know right then-and-there that it's a trick... plain and simple, after all who in everyday life carries around a deck of cards with them everywhere they go???
I caught one of Jim Tyler's lectures at IBM last year and he said the last year or so that he worked restaurants he would challenge himself and not carry anything on him into the restaurant. Everything he did was done at that moment and with no props... now that is how magic should be perceived. Even if you were to have a gimmicked bill or coin or whatever on you it should look as thought it is magical not gimmicked or prepared. That being said, I always have something "up my sleeve" or not too far out of reach so I can rattle their brains just a little bit harder. If I have bills or coins with me I can always do something but if I have my wallet with me (and I usually do) there is always something extra in there or stashed in my money clip and I can make it seem as though I used their bill or coin for the effect.
How about Ringja by Nie Te? Borrow a ring or two and you are ready to go
Ringja's great! Some of the moves are difficult to get down, but it's worth it - you could do at least 20 mins solid with a couple of rings having watched this!
Taterini: Totally agree with you - you should see my wallet and keychain - it's loaded with cool stuff!
Also I usually wear loops which are my favourite thing and the world and you can do a bunch of awesome stuff with a TT

- Yazz
At bars, linking straws is always killer. Just carry around a pocketknife on your keychain and trim them when needed.

As for the 3 coin+1 card matrix--I'm not sure I know the effect. Can it be any card? Like could you use your drivers' license?
Pickpocketing though not magic is always entertaining. You can even do it with a single coin.
Well, recently I've been doing CMH regularly, but it doesn't really fit the "no props".
I should probably learn a one-coin routine that can be done surrounded.
What I usually do is a few body jokes and feats, and conclude with a 360 turn of the hand.

P!
Crushed up dollar bills, napkins, bits of bread even, make serviceable sponge ball substitutes.
[quote]
On Mar 24, 2014, Taterini wrote:
[quote]

- Yazz
[/quote]

Yazz, I agree 110% if it ain't there where you are already then it does not seem like magic... someone said, can't remember who, "If I were to pull out a ham sandwich there is no magic involved with that but if someone were to say I'm hungry and you make one appear then magic has taken place." Not sure if those are the exact words but I think you get what I'm trying to say. For that reason I try to focus on items that we all carry everyday like coins and bills or maybe something that might be found lying around. If you pull out a deck of cards they know right then-and-there that it's a trick... plain and simple, after all who in everyday life carries around a deck of cards with them everywhere they go???
[/quote]

Completely disagree. I ALLWAYS had a deck of cards with me and NOBODY EVER mention that something wrong with it. The justification for the deck of cards in your pocket is your skill with it. If you can do amazing stuff with a deck of cards nobody will think about "blah, blah I'm hungry, give me a humburger". They will think you're the most interesting and amazing person they met.
So if you're completely naked and they ask for a trick. If you have marker and thing to write on you can do really a lot of stuff - magic square, isabella star, eqivoque, postive/negative, PATEO force. If you are naked you can do arm twist illusions, PK touches, coin tricks with borrowed coins, serial number divination on borrowed bill.
I always have my wedding ring on so I usually perform a quick routine with it. It always kills. :)
I love "tele-foto"..... I always have my iphone with me....so it's a mind reading effect all set & the spec uses their phone! However, I generally carry a deck of cards. Yes, it does smack of preparedness I guess but most know I do Magic and they generally expect me to carry a deck....so I don't consider it a problem in my case.
Also, never hurts to have a "loop" on your wrist!

I hope all are having a great day!

Bk
Again "On the spot" by greg wilson it's really useful

Lastly I'm doing this a lot:

I borrow two different coins, place them on my hand, close my hand and ask a spectator to name one of the coins, then I open my hand to show that the coin they just named it's gone! OR the coin they just named is the only one left! and somehow the other coin is in their breast pocket !

loading a coin in someones breast pocket it's not that hard, you can learn it from bobo's modern coin magic pdf.
[quote]On Apr 1, 2014, dzen871 wrote:
Completely disagree. I ALLWAYS had a deck of cards with me and NOBODY EVER mention that something wrong with it. The justification for the deck of cards in your pocket is your skill with it. If you can do amazing stuff with a deck of cards nobody will think about "blah, blah I'm hungry, give me a humburger". They will think you're the most interesting and amazing person they met.
So if you're completely naked and they ask for a trick. If you have marker and thing to write on you can do really a lot of stuff - magic square, isabella star, eqivoque, postive/negative, PATEO force. If you are naked you can do arm twist illusions, PK touches, coin tricks with borrowed coins, serial number divination on borrowed bill. [/quote]

I can agree here. What's the saying? Success is 90% preparation, 10% perspiration, something like that. I would think having a deck of cards on you is not so 'over-prepared.' That would be like saying that a professional photographer is over-prepared by always carrying a camera on her. The magic of things is that sometimes they happen at the most unlikely or unexpected times. Now, if you can find a way to make that deck 'mysteriously' appear, then all the better, in regards to the ham sandwich theory.
Message: Posted by: Nate The Magician (Apr 15, 2014 06:37PM)
Completely propless? I always go into this one mentalism routine- the circle in the triangle one? Come to think of it, a lot of mentalism routines tend to be good for this situation...
Or, failing that, I grab a piece of paper and make some balls to do a two in the hand one in the pocket. Or the penn and teller c+b. Or the Slydini paper balls over the head bit.

Just a few ideas!
Wish I knew more totally propless stuff :)

But, if paper and pen can be found then one can write a prediction - and then do a Magi choice style routine (I really like Colin Mcleod's Kolintrol) - or a simple Magic Square.

Or, failing having access to paper or anything else, then either:
Pseudo-flash memory demonstration with their paper money serial number (Fulves);
Elephants in Denmark or Alphabet Backwards (anywhere);
Cube Roots Demo mathemagics (any book on mathemagics);
J Diamond's Invisible Dice (got off Scam School).

I need to learn a couple of body magic tricks ... :)

Of course, if I'm feeling really bold, could just try and name a thought of card, or try cloud-busting or something ...
[quote]On Apr 1, 2014, dzen871 wrote:
[quote]
On Mar 24, 2014, Taterini wrote:
[quote]

- Yazz
[/quote]

[/quote]

So if you're completely naked and they ask for a trick. If you have marker and thing to write on you can do really a lot of stuff - magic square, isabella star, eqivoque, postive/negative, PATEO force. If you are naked you can do arm twist illusions, PK touches, coin tricks with borrowed coins, serial number divination on borrowed bill. [/quote]

dzen871,
I'm not saying it is wrong or right, do it if it's your thing, an I'm not saying I don't enjoy seeing and doing card magic... I'm simply saying that for me, I tend to look around and think about what would seem like a somewhat natural occuring item and then be prepared for using that instead of carrying cards. Don't get me wrong, I use cards and I use them a lot but it's just not my preference. The way I think about magic is that it should be a bit spontaneous and not look prepared and when I see a deck of cards come out of someones pocket I know right then and there that it's all prepared. Stop 10 people on the street and ask how many have a deck of cards.... then stop 10 more. I'd say you will be hard pressed to find a deck of cards on anyone other than yourself in that situation.

I look at it differently if I'm hired for walk around or something of that nature where the people there know that I'm there to do "something" but in any situation when you can do magic with something they do not perceive as a magical item or a prop or gimmicked item then it becomes more of a "what just happened or how did you do that" moment.

Impromptu is define as: not prepared ahead of time, made or done without preparation 1: made, done, or formed on or as if on the spur of the moment : improvised 2: composed or uttered without previous preparation : extemporaneous
So I guess the point I was trying to make is that card magic does not lend itself to be impromptu magic due to this criteria.

That's just my preference and preference does not come with a wrong or right... It's a good thing we don't all think alike anyway, if we did the world would be a pretty boring place and we'd all be doing the very same tricks!
If you saw max maven's penguin live lecture, his "The Grid of Life" is great. if you need paper and you are at a resteraunt, just take a napkin and rip it up into 20 pieces and number them with a pen. I think this is a great effect.
As I said in the other thread - Palm Prophet and Free Will. Free will is my go to and it uses only borrowed objects. It's great. http://www.lybrary.com/free-will-p-476988.html
I always have rubbers bands, a wedding band, loops (on a card in my wallet), coins, and business cards. (Cards and a sharpie only 50% of the time.) I recommend "On The Spot," and "Coffee House Conjuring" by Gregory Wilson as a start.

As far as effects I perform: Pinnacle, U-Turn, Ring Heist, Divorce, Crazy Man's Handcuffs, A questionable trick, Solo (a single coin routine) 3/4 across, coin through table, Rubber Band thru Finger, Melting point, Rubber Band thru pen (Jay Sankey) Magic Square, 1089, icurveball,Revelation, Redrawn, and Mentalism. With Cards I add Ambitious Card were the spectator puts the card in the deck several times, Triumph, In your hand, Lottery,(and other card effects) If the Silverware is right and I won't get in trouble (check with Manager), Liquid Metal and Mind over Metal and ring penetration onto Spoon (sankey). Although I practice these on a regular basis, it will depend on what I feel comfortable with at the time and what is getting the best reactions.
I never leave anywhere without my wallet, and no one ever should, of course. So I have several things that easily fit in there, like Powerball 60 (a fantastic completely impromptu mentalism routine that easily fits in your wallet), extreme burn, Kolossal Killer, and blank business cards, to name a few. Even if my wallet got stolen, God forbid, I have some rubber bands with me that I could perform Stairway, CMH with, and use blank business cards to perform a mentalism routine like Hollywood or Bust using my favorite method, the T-Rex method taught by Ran Pink.
[quote]On Jan 20, 2014, TheMag1cian wrote:
Arm Twist
Balducci levitation
3 coins across (I use a version by Sankey and one by Wilson)/Coin Vanishes
Ring Thing move (where you pull your ring off and throw it back on finger)
Pen/Pencil manipulation/vanish
Coin in sugar packet (sweet surprise) [/quote]
Always thought that the ring this looked great, but could not bring myself to flick off the spectator! :rotf:
[quote]On Jan 21, 2014, Paddy wrote:
Sorry but if you see a doctor at an event do you expect to get free diagnosis? Or a lawyer, if you ask him a question you get a bill in the mail. Same here, I am a professional which means I perform when the money is on the table, no money, no magic. [/quote]
maybe I don't get a free diagnosis when I see a doctor, but for performance arts it is different. I bet that most singers will at least sing a few notes when asked. A juggler will juggle assuming there is something to juggle. Also if you do a few free tricks, you can hand out a business card, and get booked. I almost never turn down a performance opportunity because It is fun, and not always for a profit.
Max maven's the grid of life is good. You do need to have a phone that can connect at the internet. You also will need a writing implement and a piece of paper which you can usually find quite easily.
When asked to show somebody something, even if I have something on me, I really like showing them something with nothing.

A couple of effects that go nicely together are "Any Day for Any Date". I use the Harry Lorayne method for this that Richard Osterlind teaches on his Corinda DVDs. Harry, if you'd like to chime in here, I'd be curious to know in what book of yours teach this, because I'd be interested in obtaining it sometime. In short, someone names any date for the current year and I immeadiatley tell them what day that falls on. This catches them off guard and never fails to create a really strange moment.

Then it takes an even stranger turn when I seemingly give the spectator the power to do this too, using Patrick Redford's "Savant Soup" out of Hexagon.

David
A) I NEVER carry a deck of cards with me! The people I usually do some card stuff for...if I pulled out my own deck, they'd laugh. And, as I've written many times, in many of my books - you lose a large percent of your effectiveness when using your own deck - whether people remark about it or not.

b) David, I teach it in a number of my books on memory training. I spend a few pages on it in THE MEMORY BOOK.

c) Read my book, MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY and you'll have miracles to perform anywhere, any time - and all you'd need is paper, pencil, oh and a calculator.
Thank you Harry, I will check out Mathematical Wizardy as well. I've never once been disappointed in investing in any of your books. I always get way more than my money's worth. The magic community is very fortunate to have you as a part of it.

David
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Jun 18, 2014 04:59PM)
[quote]On Jun 18, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
A) I NEVER carry a deck of cards with me! The people I usually do some card stuff for...if I pulled out my own deck, they'd laugh. And, as I've written many times, in many of my books - you lose a large percent of your effectiveness when using your own deck - whether people remark about it or not.

b) David, I teach it in a number of my books on memory training. I spend a few pages on it in THE MEMORY BOOK.

c) Read my book, MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY and you'll have miracles to perform anywhere, any time - and all you'd need is paper, pencil, oh and a calculator. [/quote]

The Memory Book is the best single investment you can make! I have 4 daughters I taught to get great marks in school using the methods in there!
I have to agree, if you study the memory book you will always be able to amaze people with your skills. My mother was 83 years old when I taught her the mnemonic system and she grasped the idea within a very short time, so it just goes to show you are never too old to learn.
George, it's interesting that you should mention this. Besides impressing people with your amazing skills, learning memory systems can actually help prevent alzheimer's and dementia.

http://www.helpguide.org/elder/alzheimers_prevention_slowing_down_treatment.htm

I appreciate your's and Richard input regarding the Memory Book as well. Thank you gentleman.
Bryn Reynolds "Seven".
[quote]On Jun 24, 2014, greerj wrote:
Bryn Reynolds "Seven". [/quote]

Yes.....

Thanks for the mention, greerj......

Bryn
[quote]On Jun 24, 2014, mindhunter wrote:
[quote]On Jun 24, 2014, greerj wrote:
Bryn Reynolds "Seven". [/quote]

Yes.....

Thanks for the mention, greerj......

Bryn [/quote]

You're certainly welcome. Not just for the effect, or your books, but also for your service. I spent some time in the 8th Infantry Division, and I know that the Armed Services are more work than most believe them to be. Love your stuff.
1. NEVER leave home without any magic.

2. Expand your knowledge in magic. Read up mentalism effects using ANY items including a small rock or mobile phone.

3. Banachek's PK Time always works for me.

4. Deddy Corbuzier's Freewill plot using any borrowed items.

5. Loop up ;)
Stigmata by wayne houchin
Harry, just bought Mathematical Wizardry and the memory book.
Atlas Penguin Live lecture has some great stuff... PK touches also. learn tricks with a borrowed iPhone (divining contacts, etc)
Probably not going to be situation where I have no cards on me and if that's the case the situation is probably one where I'm not planning to show any tricks. For me at least for the moment it's just cards or nothing.

However if I were to do something it would be some really simple sleight of hand with borrowed object. Not much of a magic trick, but I would probably do "follow a coin" type of thing with spectator having hold the coin between their hands and punchline being that coin ends up their pocket etc where I have switched another coin to their hand.
Wow I thought only magicians used the "sorry but I don't have anything with me" excuse but I ran into my dentist at a party the other night and asked him to take a look at this tooth that was bothering me and that was his excuse too. I cannot not even repeat what my lawyer said. :)
[quote]On Dec 22, 2015, ATL wrote:

However if I were to do something it would be some really simple sleight of hand with borrowed object. Not much of a magic trick [/quote]

Some of the most memorable magic effects I have ever performed are with borrowed objects and simple sleights.

By "memorable" I mean someone who mentions an effect 40 years later. It is never the one with fancy props or contrived situations.

The key is to have the observer expect astonishment to occur -- then deliver on the promise. They supply the magic.

For me, this can occur spontaneously and with simple objects more easily those that prompt, "O boy, here comes a trick."

If you think it is "not much of a trick" you will probably be right.

If you plan on creating a 40 year memory you may be right also.
YUP! ATL is a young lad, with much to learn! --That's OK! (When you're green you can get ripe! When you're ripe you just get rotten! (Look at ME!)

ATL: MARTIN GARDNER wrote a book: "THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF IMPROMPTU MAGIC". It was published by Magic Inc., Chicago, in the mid or late '70s. (I was involved, in a small way, in getting it printed.) It went out of print, but, I hear it will be reprinted, soon.

It wasn't cheap then, and, it will be higher now. (Here comes the "but": BUT, if you can possibly afford it, buy it. --you'll never be sorry!)

Ken's post just above, "SAYS IT ALL!"
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Feb 7, 2016 12:38AM)
I always travel with effects on me but if the world turned upside down I would do coin on shoulder or paper balls over head
Scott Guinn came with a perfected routine which can be totally virtual
Write three predictions on your business card (or any piece of paper)
Some spectators pick three different totally virtual coins from any country and of any value in your empty cupped hands. They give you one of these virtual coins (still pantomime)
You toss it up in the air and seemingly lay it on the back of your other hand, as a performer ask whether the "chosen" coin landed head up or tail up and then progressively unfold your prediction showing that you had correctly predicted everything...

I think that he's selling it for virtually nothing at lybrary.com

Scott had been out of the magic arena for a while as he had taken over a new parrish and then was blessed with a beautiful son.
During this time many ideas decanted in his head and several outstanding effects matured and now he is back with them.

Just amazing quality of imagination, precision in the descriptions, sophistication in the thinking but simplicity in the effects and (in my opinion) ridiculously low prices !

If you want to stay ahead of everyone, don't pass these by
Thank you, Etienne! You are, as always, far too kind!

The effect you reference is "Positive Increases," my improved handling of my "Assertive Positive Negative" which was a modification of Max Maven's "Positive Negative."

I also have a new ebook out with an impromptu one-coin routine that can be done for one person or a full audience. It ends in a total vanish, has an entertaining "hustler/con man" presentation, and is unlike anything your spectators will have ever seen.

These routines are available on my page at Lybrary for just $10 each. Both are explained in great detail with accompanying photos.

http://www.lybrary.com/scott-f-guinn-m-235.html
Serial Prevaricator by Colin McLeod.
I constantly carry a deck of cards with me, even at work! But it's good reading this to get an idea of something different to do besides card tricks, as some say you seem too prepared.

-P
I always have something in my wallet.
Last time I performed Powerball 60 after dinner, it was a huge hit.
The spectator asked me to read her mind without any props.
I told her to think of a number between 1 through 10.
I guessed 7 and I was right.
It was risky but I read that 7 is the most common number thought of if its done quickly.
She freaked out.
I always borrow a quarter of if anything you can perform a sponge ball routine with napkins or pieces of paper. Ask to borrow a bill and maybe perform a bill change? There are also a lot of mentalism things you can do that require no props.
I once did a Free Will style mentalism routine at a restaurant with some friends when they asked to see something and I didn't have anything on me. I just used objects from around the table and a prediction written on a napkin, incorporating some eq******e tips from a Max Maven lecture I'd attended not long before. One of my friends says it's her favorite effect of mine she's seen.
I did a bit of research and discovered I have sent out 83 free copies of my ebook, 'Sleight and the Family Stone" filled with effects, sleights and logic for performing
with "found objects" in natural settings -- exactly what this thread is about. The "cost" for the dozens of effects was a commitment to feedback -- pretty simple.

Amazingly, only 27 magicians actually met their commitment and responded at all after reading the material -- less than 1/3.
Of those, six said they couldn't understand it without a DVD to watch or found the text contained too many terms they did not know (Definitions in the Appendix)
What's the old saying? "Anything new but not for the first time!"

Only four (4) people responded as to ever performing any of the effect -- with wonderful results. Maybe others did and claim it as their own.

So, I conclude that most magician like carrying props and gimmicks around with them hoping to be called on to "do a trick." It is only lip-service to be able to perform magic effects with found objects.
You only have to master about six techniques in order to perform hundreds of effects with nothing in your pockets. Of course, presentation skills are a must. Maybe that is the problem.

What bothers me is the question of why a spectator should trust you and give focused attention if you can't meet a commitment to a fellow magician?

Oh yes, "doing tricks" doesn't require any trust, does it? There must be some kind of security in having props in your pocket. Where do you keep the magic?
I am having fun thinking through what can be done with Greg Rostami's Iforce app. If you have a phone on you - and who doesn't - you can do any-time miracles. What I most like is that the phone is just a tool - the place where your note app is. That way the attention is on the effect, not on something "magical" that happens on or in the phone itself. And since you can force up to 8 "choices", you can adapt it to a lot of existing routines. I think it's genius. And it's cheap. What's not to like?

And, of course I have to like Coffeehouse Conjuring material, since Greg and I spent a year coming up with the material (plus about 100 effects that never saw print). Hate to think all that time sucking down overpriced Java at the local Starbucks wasn't useful...
This reminds me of the time (1960s) when I a co-worker kept asking me to 'do a trick'-'do a trick'- almost everyday- SO - I asked him for a quarter - then I did severl slights and after- put the .25 in my pocket - when he objected - I said "I don't do magic for free" - no more bother-- Always wanted to do this with a Dollar bill-(the break a pencil bit - but didn't have the nerve nerve) L-O-L Ralph(russo)Rousseau
I always have my ring on so I do ring thing by David hauss to start of with then do some slights with my ring and I always have extreme burn 2.0 locked and loaded and Scotch and soda on me I keep them both in the wallet thing supplied with extream burn 2.0 locked and loaded
Message: Posted by: StanleyRosenhouse (Apr 16, 2016 10:22PM)
I ask them to pull my finger. :rotf:
I ask them to take a coin from their pocket and out it on there palm... Then I instruct them to put their other hand over it....I don't go near them and wav my hand over there cupped hands and the coin vanishes from their hand into mine....and yes only one coin is used...

Sleepy
Just do my 10S Star Sign Divination and Tequila Hustler =)
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jun 3, 2016 03:16AM)
Anything with in gimmicks coins. I love coin work
Heads or tails or which hand with imaginary coins.
Beat me on those ones!
Ask for 2 hair bands and make them appear the link together, disappearing saltshaker, make a coin disappear with a table napkin, the classic illusion of pulling your finger off but it's really your thumb.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 3, 2016 02:03PM)
Paper balls over head. Sponge napkins
The one tool I almost 100% of the time have on me is a TT. With that, and a few of the other miracles people have shared on this thread, you can perform any time, anywhere.
If I am at a restaurant, I will usually perform a Vanishing Salt Shaker and Stirring silver from J. Sankey.
X-finger
With no props on me, the best I do are math based stuff, 1089 being my favorite.
With no props, 37 force, psychological subleties (geometric shapes), Max Maven's Multiplicity and Alain Nu's Signagram.
Greg wilson on the spot has many great routines.
As well as paper ball over the head and Banachek's PK Time .
Some finger magic is great for a casual setting. I'm partial to Pinky thing by Nick Locapo and Breaking point by Johannes Mengel.
For me this effect below is never fail to amaze them:
Glass thru table
Free Will prediction
Spoon bending
Phoa Yan Tiong cut restored napkin
Spellbound coin change
Cigarette ash thru palm
As I've said in similar threads, I'm really never without anything as I always have at a minimum my Stealth Assassin, with blank slips, and a pen. That said, if I had the misfortune of losing it or having it stolen, a go to impromptu effect would be a utilization of Phil Smith's Quinta which works very well for me.

Carter
I've been wanting to say this for a long time:
SLIGHT OF HAND
Here are some things I discovered.
Why should you do magic when someone asks you. Yes, I think that cheapens it all. But, I really want to do magic.

I had this trouble when starting to do some standup gigs. I ran into many people asking for a free show as the event was for some charity deal.

A pro offered this. Say you will do the show for no charge but you need something in return. For some group asking for a freebee, they can put a picture in their club paper or even in the newspaper. That is, you get free advertisement for a free show. The idea here is when someone wants to see magic, see if you can get something from them. It is interesting what they come up with.

As for an impromptu trick. Here is something I discovered. It is called the center tear. Yea, I know its old but it can kill. I was in a restaurant and wanted to do something. I tore a corner off the paper placement. I drew a circle on it and asked the person to draw something in the circle. They did and then I asked them to fold the paper in half and in half again. Then I took the paper and tore it twice. Then I dropped the pieces into a glass of water. In doing so, I copped the center. Then I stirred the water and took a sip. During that I got the information. Then I went through the mentalist shtick revealing what they put on the paper. During a bit of cleanup, I dropped the center into the glass. It killed.

Well, perhaps this is not the greatest but I'll bet the day will come when you will remember this at one of those awkward moments.
Tanks, Al. There is a wise suggestion from you I use when I can. I got it from your old website. You said it was better to find a place to perform that was separate from the main space of activity when in a house party. Even the kitchen would do. That idea has worked great for me (whenever possible). Small groups come in, and they go out talking to each other, expressing wonder involuntarily. That brings more people in. This could be used to good advantage when one does not carry special items. The Balducci levitation can be done that way for a few people at a time. Darwin Ortiz relates that David Roth used to perform it like that.
A copy of Easy Hand Tricks by Bob Longe is a good thing to have in your library.

Also, if someone walks away without the name of their selected card, or thought-of number, or something on the back of your business card ... consider it.
I realize you said no props, but don't you have your wallet with you always? Perhaps a minor who doesn't drive might not, but I suspect that at some point, everyone will carry a wallet with their drivers license. If so, then you could get a wallet with a zipper compartment and/or a coin pouch and always have rubber bands, coins, gimmicked bills, etc.

However, in the spirit of the thread, let's say you are at a nudist camp with no wallet or anything. I would go with two in the hand and one in the pocket... er, um, one in the... well, wherever you might put it.

KJ
An equivoque routine.
PATEO Force with borrowed objects.
Personally do the one coin routine when I have absolutely nothing with me.

Can also use spectator’s phone ans do toxic force on their calculator.
Train tracking by atlas brookings. the most close thing for a real mind reading
If I'm going to be strict on your question and take it to mean not even coins or a ring, literally no objects on you that you could use, I'd do the finger thru ear, arm twist, or something to that effect.

Glenn
Stigmata by Wayne Houchin and Control 2.0 by Wayne Houchin. Old effects but they are good.
A fun one to do is a matrix routine taught by Darryl on his Fooler Dooler DVD set that’s called “Mystery of the traveling marbles” by Silent Mora. Instead of 4 marbles you can use any small items. I am sure there are many matrixes that have been taught, but this has served me well over the years. Darryl certainly left us too soon :(
Inject 2.0 - Insane amount of stuff you can do anytime anywhere
Ring Thing - have killed with this for years - hits hard
Magicians Choice - Lay out 5 objects in front of a spec and predict which one they choose. I do not know who originally came up with this masterpiece - but it kicks butt and I would like to thank whoever came up with it.
I perform either the Social Prediction or a Coin Body Loading routine
I never need to carry any magic items with me ...

which hand? - object hidden in either hand
rock-paper-scissors - 100% correct every time
human calendar - any day called for
inject 2 - using spectators phone
I tried a new spin on my favorite impromptu effect. When asked (or expect to be asked) to perform some magic,
I get a pile of small objects. Could be various coins, candies, nuts - whatever.

A spectator selects the two identical objects with which I must perform.
One is taken by my left fingers, the other by my right. (no transfers) Both are visibly displayed on my open palms. Fists are made.
I ask another person which object (named) they believe to be the more powerful. That hand is opened to reveal the object has vanished while the other hand still holds its single object.

What is new is my saying, "Now that you have vanished that object (name), please show us some more magic with it."

or, "Great! OK - where did you hide it?"
I usually will do some stuff with a coin such as Jay Sankey's Messiah vanish and Joe Rindfleisch's Wave Vanish.
I always carry Free Will of Order in my wallet. Yes, it technically uses props, but they are not props so much as things I carry with me every day. A dollar bill, my car keys, and my phone. It's super simple and fun to do!