(Close Window)
Topic: Devin Knight's "Auto Spell Deck"
Is it really going to be this clean and simple?

Just got this eMail from Devin:

I hope everyone had a great holiday season and that your date book was full. Only one item this mailer. It is my first release of the year and one I have been having great results with from my strolling magic gigs.

Devin Knight's

AUTO-SPELL DECK - A Self-Working Miracle!

Spelling to a selected card has always been a popular effect, but most methods require considerable skill, the ability to control cards, memorization, and looking at the faces of the cards...SAY GOOD BYE TO ALL OF THAT.

The Auto-Spell Deck lets you do the classic spelling effect in the cleanest manner possible without any sleight of hand. In fact, the deck is virtually self-working, and I am not kidding! Magician need never look at the faces of the cards after the card is returned to the deck.

Here is the effect:

Show a bicycle deck of cards to be regular, even spread them face up between your hands to show them well mixed. Turn the deck face down and let a spectator touch any card, anywhere in the spread. There is NO FORCE of any kind. The person can touch any card in the deck and all the backs of the 52 cards are seen. NO ROUGH AND SMOOTH cards anywhere in the deck.

The person looks at the card and pushes it anywhere into the middle of the deck. The performer does NOT cut the cards and say put it here. The person can freely push the card back anywhere into the middle of the deck. The performer immediately squares the cards and puts them flush on the table. No break is held (for real).

The performer truly does not know the name of the card and there are NO SECRET PEEKS.

The performer picks up the deck and gives it one cut, saying he has hopefully cut the person's card to a special position. He then hands the face down deck to the spectator.

The performer says he would like the person to spell the name of his selected card by dealing one card face up on the table until he has spelled the complete name of the card. He says he thinks the person will spell to his card. Say the card is the six of diamonds. The person spells out the card dealing one card face up for each letter and seeing that ALL THE CARDS ARE DIFFERENT. When he has finished spelling, the card at that position is his card! Believe it or not.

This special self-working deck does the trick for you. So easy to do, you will fool yourself. FOOLPROOF, works every time. Quick and direct to the point and very commercial. An easy to understand effect that appears impossible to the spectator, as it is magic done is HIS HANDS.

IN A NUTSHELL. A spectator freely selects a card and puts it back himself into the deck. The magician gives the deck one cut and hands the deck to the person. The spectator then names his card and spells it out, turning the cards face up as he spells. When he finishes spelling the card, it is staring him in the face. A knock out effect.

NO SKILL, NO SLEIGHTS, NO MARKS, NO LONG OR SHORT CARDS, yet the deck is gimmicked!

The spectator or magician can spell to the card. No forces of any kind. Magician does not know the card until the person spells to it. The person has the deck in his hands ready to deal BEFORE he tells the performer the name of the card.

NO MULTIPLE OUTS. The ending is the same each time. The card is spelled the same way each time. A-c-e -o-f- d-i-a-m-o-n-d-s

PERFECT for the strolling magician, as the deck can be reset in a few seconds. You can go from table to table and do the trick with a different card each time! Everyone watching from other tables sees the same effect, and the card is spelled to the same way.

Comes complete with special bicycle deck and complete directions.

This is my latest creation and for now is only available directly from me. This secret has not been revealed before and was not in any of my lectures. This is something entirely new for this year.

$24.95 sent postpaid anywhere in the world. Get this now before someone at your club fools you with it!
This sounds amazing! What are the performance conditions required for this to work?

Regards,
Mike
Good question.

I only know what I read here.

I'm interested, but........
Sounds fun. But can it really be any card?
Devin, can you please chime in here? Thanks!

Regards,
Mike
I'm sure he will!
This may very well just be Devin's best creation yet!

Regards,
Mike
Devin don't come to the Café anymore
Yes, it is that clean cut and the description is 100% accurate. There are no conditions, the trick can be done anywhere under any conditions and the trick is self-working. The spectator can select any one of the 52 cards and the deck can be spread face showing the cards to be well mixed. Remove any card, have it replaced by the person in the middle of the deck anywhere he wants. Give the deck one cut and hand the deck to him and he will spell to his card. Once you cut the deck, the trick is hands off for the performer.

Can be repeated with different results at the next table. Reset is only a few seconds. This deck has fooled many magicians and in my opinion is one of the cleanest spelling effects ever created.
Is it possible to show a demo of the effect, Devin ?
Yes, sometime next week, I will shoot a video showing an uncut and unedited demo of the trick. Just haven't had time to make the video yet.
I guess he still does come to the Café.
The directions will include a new improvement not mentioned in the original ad. IN this version the spectator will freely select a card and return it to the deck while the deck is in his hands. The magician will not touch the deck while the card is being selected and returned. The deck will be given to the magician who gives it one cut and the person can immediately spell to his card. Foolproof. No chance of failure.

No memory work or cue cards of anykind. Nothing to memorize period.
Hi Devin,

Can you post a link where this can be purchased? Thanks.

Regards, Steve
Here you go, from Devin's eMail to me:

Click below to order via PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KY5AWAVFNB7QS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use PayPal or e-mail your order. You can also call me direct.
I accept Master Card, Visa, Discover card.
If you wish to e-mail your order, split your number into two emails.
I need exp date and security code on back of card.

e-mail orders to: devin@zoominternet.net

You can call your order in at : 724-458-0132
Office hours are M-S 10AM to 9PM Eastern Standard Time

Devin Knight Magic
PO Box 407
Grove City, Pa 16127
USA
Devin has that "out of the box" thinking bit down pretty well. I am predicting this is going to be good!

RNK
Does it have to spell the card or can you spell their name or any other word to get to the selected card?
The real Devin made it pretty clear he would not be posting on the Café anymore.

This is obviously an imposter.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 09:29, magicbyswh wrote:
I guess he still does come to the Café.
[/quote]

I recall he gave final notice months ago. I mean no disrespect. May have missed out on a lot of sales. Welcome back.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 13:49, lil_magic wrote:
Does it have to spell the card or can you spell their name or any other word to get to the selected card?
[/quote]
e
You have to spell the exact name of the card. The spelling is the same each time such as A C E Of S P A D E S
You always include the OF and the suits always end with a S. Most spelling tricks have you spelling different ways and having to remember how to spell to the card. No memory needed as the procedure is always the same and the card always turns up after it is spelled.
Ok is there a.way to knw what the card is so you can find out if it has the same amount of letters as their name?
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 14:48, lil_magic wrote:
Ok is there a.way to knw what the card is so you can find out if it has the same amount of letters as their name?
[/quote]

Yes there is way to find out the card and spell their name if it has the same amount of letters
Is this adaptable to other languages ?
Devin I still can't believe it's you.

Can you something to prove you're Devin?
Trust me, it's Devin.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 16:10, Jack Straw wrote:
Trust me, it's Devin.
[/quote]

Yea, but who r u?
Hi Jack,

Regards, Steve
Just ordered. This sounds great!
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 16:16, John C wrote:
[quote]
Trust me, it's Devin.
[/quote]

Yea, but who r u?
[/quote]

Exactly!

Maybe Devin could take a quick pic with the words "I Love the Magic Café" on a sign or something and put it up for an avatar.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 16:16, John C wrote:
[quote]
Trust me, it's Devin.
[/quote]

Yea, but who r u?
[/quote]

That's the second time that you've asked me this question in the last week.

OK, you got me.

I'm Devin.

But if I was not Devin I would be considering buying this effect.

I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows that I am not Devin.

But I am Jack Straw from Wichita, and I cut my buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go
My old buddy you're moving much too slow.
Here is the OFFICIAL BLOG for the Auto Spell Deck. A video will be up within the next few days.

Effect: The performer shows a deck of cards to be well mixed while removing the two Jokers from the deck. He hands the deck to a participant to cut as many times as he likes. The performer tells the participant to stop cutting anytime he likes and that the top card of the deck will be his selected card. The performer asks the participant to look at the top card of the deck while the performer looks away. The participant is then instructed to take his selected card, push it into the center of the deck anywhere he likes, and square the deck. Once he has done so, he tells the performer who turns around and takes the deck saying he will give it one cut. The performer cuts the deck once and places it on the table face down. The selection of the card is a free choice and there is no force used.

The performer tells the participant that he will not touch the deck again. He reminds the participant that he selected a card and returned it to the deck without the performer ever touching the deck. The performer says that he has cut the selected card to a special position that will allow the participant to spell right to his card.

“For example, if you selected the Ace of Spades, then you will spell A-C-E O-F S-P-A-D-E-S turning one card face up from the top of the deck and dealing it onto the table into a face up pile. When you have finished spelling, you will have spelt right to your card.”

While the deck is still on the table, the participant spells out the full name of his card by removing the top card of the deck, turning it face up and placing it into a face up pile. While doing so, the participant sees that every card is different. After he has finished spelling the name of the card, he will be stunned to see his card is indeed on top of the deck. He has indeed spelled to his card!

This is about as close to a hands off miracle as you could ask for. The participant selects and returns a card with the deck in his hands. The performer looks away when the card is returned so he does not know where it was placed in the deck.

The performer takes the deck, gives it one cut, and returns the deck to the table. He does not look at the faces of the cards, and he truly does not know the name of the selected card until the participant names it. The only time the performer touches the deck after a card is selected is to give it one cut. The participant deals the cards face up, not the performer. The full name of the card is spelled out each time. The word “of” is always spelled and the suit always has an “s” at the end.

There is nothing to memorize and the effect is self-working. The deck can be reset in just a few seconds and the effect can be repeated, if strolling, at another table with a different card being selected.

No Sleights, No Skill, No Marked Cards, No Long & Short or Rough & Smooth. Best of all you can do this with nothing to memorize. NO MULTIPLE OUTS. The ending is the same each time. The card is spelled the same way each time.This ingenious deck is entirely 100% self-working.
Is this adaptable to other languages ?
Once you learn the principle you can apply it to other languages and it would work. I assume you are talking about spelling the numbers and suits in another language. The deck supplied is geared to the English spelling of the cards, but once you see how the deck works, you can easily make up one that would work in another language using the principle.
It "would" work, so you are not very sure... right ? :)

You say that it's possible to easily make one other deck, but will it work for ALL the cards ?
I have not tried it in another language, so I can't say for sure, but in theory, it appears it would work. Anyhow I am not advertising that it works in any language. As I said before, the deck was designed for the English spelling of the words.
Anyway, it should be good, I just ordered and let you know if this can work in french... I can still see myself using it in english here where I live, in Sweden.

Review soon...
If you have received your deck, then please review it. According to tracking numbers quite a few have been received.
Yes, can an owner please review this for us?
I just received mine today, but I have a show tonight and tomorrow night, and a morning appointment with a client on Friday. Somewhere inbetween I will put my comments here
Thanks, misterillusion!
As promised, here is an UNEDITED video showing the effect from start to finish. No fancy effects or edits or useless eye candy; just the effect plain and simple so you can make an informed buying decision.

Notice the spectator freely selects a card and returns it to the deck while the magician's back is turned! The cards are NOT MARKED and the magician really does not know which card is selected until the person names the card and spells to it!

http://youtu.be/UVVj-i3h7dQ
Two methods are supplied with the deck. In the second version, the deck is spread on the table and any card is pulled out by the spectator. Magician squares the deck and turns his back. The spectator looks at her card and cuts off a block of cards and returns the card anywhere she likes (while your back is turned). You turn around and pick up the deck, give it a cut and hand it to her and she spells to her card.

A different video showing this version will be forthcoming in a few days.
Does the card always fall on the next one after the spelling of its name, as in the video demo, or it sometimes falls on the last letter ?
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 06:25, doriancaudal wrote:
Does the card always fall on the next one after the spelling of its name, as in the video demo, or it sometimes falls on the last letter ?
[/quote]

Sometimes it falls on the last letter, but the effect is the same as you say the person will spell to their card. Either ending is equally strong.
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 06:29, Devin Knight wrote:
Either ending is equally strong.
[/quote]

I completely agree.
Very nice demo! Looks look really good. Great job Devin! Only one cut by the magician and everything else is hands off. Gotta love that!

RNK
I tried reading the instructions late last night, but fell asleep due to a busy day. I was half way through the 6 pages of instruction and it all seemed very confusing--that was because I was falling alseep. This morning I picked up the instructions again and read them through. Confusing? NO. Simple? YES. Easy to learn? Yes. Will I be using this? YES-YES!

I have many of Devin's items, but I have to say this is one of the best I have purchased. I don't do a lot of card work except for effects like "Three Card Joe" and "B'wave" for example. Many of my shows are standup or stage. My card-slight ability is limited to double lifts and glides etc. This effect will lend itself to closeup or strolling for sure and I can see myself doing it for standup events as well as stage too. There are no slights at all and only one thing I would call a "move" I guess, but so simple, anyone can do it.

This deck works itself. The reset can be done in just a couple of seconds. It is genius! It works exactly as Devin describes and as is shown on the video. I will be using this and recommend it to anyone interested in this item.

Thanks, Devin, for one more 'gem'

Charlie
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 09:47, misterillusion wrote:
I tried reading the instructions late last night, but fell asleep due to a busy day. I was half way through the 6 pages of instruction and it all seemed very confusing--that was because I was falling alseep. This morning I picked up the instructions again and read them through. Confusing? NO. Simple? YES. Easy to learn? Yes. Will I be using this? YES-YES!

I have many of Devin's items, but I have to say this is one of the best I have purchased. I don't do a lot of card work except for effects like "Three Card Joe" and "B'wave" for example. Many of my shows are standup or stage. My card-slight ability is limited to double lifts and glides etc. This effect will lend itself to closeup or strolling for sure and I can see myself doing it for standup events as well as stage too. There are no slights at all and only one thing I would call a "move" I guess, but so simple, anyone can do it.

This deck works itself. The reset can be done in just a couple of seconds. It is genius! It works exactly as Devin describes and as is shown on the video. I will be using this and recommend it to anyone interested in this item.

Charlie
[/quote]

Thanks for the review Charlie. This looks like a hit! I to feel Devin is an incredible creator of magic. Great ability to "Think Outside The Box". And not to mention, Devin is always available to answer questions if you have any!

RNK
Just ordered it. Looks like a terrific effect.

Michael
[quote]

Charlie
[/quote]

Thank you for that nice review. Glad you enjoy it and will be using it. I think most people who buy this will use it and that this effect will not wind up stuck in a drawer some place.
[quote]
On 2014-01-16 18:44, Devin Knight wrote:
[quote]

Charlie
[/quote]

Thank you for that nice review. Glad you enjoy it and will be using it. I think most people who buy this will use it and that this effect will not wind up stuck in a drawer some place.
[/quote]

You are quite welcome. I would not give it a glowing review unless I really felt it was deserving. This is deserving for sure. I purchase a lot of magic. For me I think it is almost like an obsession. I do quite a few shows and my basic "A" show is used over and over for different audiences. Out of the volume of magic I have purchased over the years (I have been doing this professionaly for over 17 years), every now and then I add an effect to my playlist. The addition usually replaces some other effect in my playlist. The replaced item then goes into my "B" show. This does not happen very often because I have a show which has been created purely on audience entertainment. My wife (my on stage assistant) watches the audience reactions to everything I do, and based on her input changes are made to the act with one goal in mind: audience entertainment. The reason I am telling you this is because I believe this will be becoming a big part of my closeup and strolling magic playlist for sure. Parlor will also be given a test, but I think it will play well there too. I have a show coming up on Saturday but it is a children's show so I will not use it there, but I have an adult show next week on Thursday which will be a good testing ground (strolling and stage).

This a real fooler and I LOVE the simplicity

--Charlie
Thanks for putting up a fair demo. After watching it I was[i] immediately[/i] reminded of an effect that starts exactly the same way then ends with counting instead of spelling: I'm speaking of Osterlind's [b]Hands off[/b] from 2012.

Further differences:
- Osterlind does not have to touch the deck again!
- With his back turned he estimates a number at which the spectator's card will be found
- and still he is able to name the card before it is turned over or the spectator said a word.

Maybe it's because I see no real point in spelling (just a matter of taste thingy) but yes, I prefer Osterlind's approach. Yet with the knowledge of said effect, I think any seasoned card worker can figure out the rest how the Auto Spell Deck actually differs and make up their mind if they would want to purchase it.

Nonetheless, I think Devin devised a clever sequence here, which, however, from what I see should not be so easy to reproduce in German, for example.
Here is a table comparison between french and english, concerning the number of letters for each card. Identical spelling numbers are in yellow. Those who have this deck, can you then tell if this will be possible in french ?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/18/gsog.png
The effect is possible in French. You will need to make some changes, but once you have the deck and see how it works it will be easy to make a deck to work in French.
[quote]
On 2014-01-17 04:08, Nicolino wrote:
Thanks for putting up a fair demo. After watching it I was[i] immediately[/i] reminded of an effect that starts exactly the same way then ends with counting instead of spelling: I'm speaking of Osterlind's [b]Hands off[/b] from 2012.

Further differences:
- Osterlind does not have to touch the deck again!
- With his back turned he estimates a number at which the spectator's card will be found
- and still he is able to name the card before it is turned over or the spectator said a word.

Maybe it's because I see no real point in spelling (just a matter of taste thingy) but yes, I prefer Osterlind's approach. Yet with the knowledge of said effect, I think any seasoned card worker can figure out the rest how the Auto Spell Deck actually differs and make up their mind if they would want to purchase it.

Nonetheless, I think Devin devised a clever sequence here, which, however, from what I see should not be so easy to reproduce in German, for example.
[/quote]

You can do this effect without the magician cutting the deck, but I feel then it appears to be self-working to a person. In my opinion, when you take the deck and cut it. The spectators think you did something to make it work and give you credit for doing something very clever. Actually, the magician did nothing. If you don't cut the deck it appears too self-working or TOO PERFECT, therefore I added in cut.

Monk Watson wrote that one time he did a HANDS OFF bill in lemon and that he got better response by picking up the lemon just for a few seconds to show it. At this point, the spectators thought somehow he had done something sneaky and some how had put the bill in the lemon. He said he got better response by the audience and always picked up the lemon.

I have tried the deck both ways and I always get better response when I cut the cards...otherwise the effect looks too perfect....(I know about there is the argument of no trick being too perfect, but I have respectfully disagree.)
I have had magicians who have the deck and ask me if I think they should do the trick without cutting the deck and I always tell them "NO." Then I explain why I think they should. Its up to you. Its your deck, so use it how you want to.

I am familiar with Richard's trick and my method is a bit different. It is possible to cut the cards and tell the person where his card lies and have him count down to it, I have played around with this too with the deck, but from real world experience, having the person spell to their card seems to play better and is more commercial.

When the person counts, it appears to be another math based counting trick. There are too many self-working card tricks that involve counting. The spelling of the card disguises the fact that this is actually a counting trick and throw people off the track that this may be a math based effect.

Just my opinion, but that is why I devised the deck as a spelling effect and a good one at that since it requires no memory as many spelling tricks do.
Thanks for pointing out, Devin!
Anyone else care to review their deck?
Hi Devin,

Checked the tracking today and it looks like mine should arrive (hopefully) on Monday, so I'll be able to give a review some time after then.

Regards, Steve
Looking forward to your review.
Devin,
If I cut is NOT needed, why NOT ask the spectator to cut the deck?
Best,
Jeff
That is possible if you follow my directions, but that defeats the purpose of it appearing that the magician cut the card to a special position. Totally hands off tricks do not give the magician credit. Just my opinion.
I just realized that mail will not be delivered on Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Day, so I'll probably have to wait until Tuesday :-(

Regards, Steve
Anyone else who has received the deck could "care" ( :) ) to review it ?
Watching the demo It reminded me of a effect I read in a old book. It also used a gimmick deck except in this version the cards are placed in the spectators pocket and they mentally spell their card and think stop on the last letter as the magician removes cards from their pocket. The magician then stops pulling cards out of their pocket stating they just thought stop and ask them to name their card and shows them the last card he pulled out of their pocket is their card.
I received yesterday and performed it for my kids today as a test run. It played just like the description. It got a terific reaction so far. While they are polite,they are honest and critical. It was super easy to do with no sleights. YOu can do it after 5 minutes of reading the well written instructions. The deck comes ready to use. The instructions are 6 pages in length (3 double sides pages). You cannot use this deck for any thr rouine but I would carry this deck just to perform this routine.

Highly recommended.

Michael
Here is another video showing a different handling of the deck. This is the spread and take a card, but the spectator returns the card anywhere while your back is turned. Still you are able to do the trick!
http://youtu.be/sctXImnn5Dk
You can buy the PDF only at http://www.lybrary.com and make up the deck yourself. I purchased it and found that the deck is similar to the one I mention above.
Question for Devin...
You say that the spectator can stick his card anywhere back into the deck...what do you do if the spectator sticks it near the very top of the pack, let's say, for example, 8th from the top? What do you do, or say when 'this' happens?
[quote]
On 2014-01-20 02:21, dscanning wrote:
Question for Devin...
You say that the spectator can stick his card anywhere back into the deck...what do you do if the spectator sticks it near the very top of the pack, let's say, for example, 8th from the top? What do you do, or say when 'this' happens?

[/quote]

Look at the video and you'll see that he says to put it somewhere near the middle... That's all it takes to avoid him/her placing the card near the very top, I suppose...
I have found that most spectators will stick the card into the middle of the deck, but you can say to the spectator to please insert his card somewhere near the middle of the deck. This never been a problem for me. If you don't trust the spectator to follow your directions, then don't turn your back. You can still do the trick basically hands off but watch the spectator as he returns the card. If he starts to put it too close to the top, just say, "Don't make it easy on me, put it near the middle so it is really lost in the deck."

In the second video demo, you see I tell the girl to cut off half the deck. I have found this to be 100% reliable. If you tell someone to cut off half the deck, he or she will do that. Few people, if any or going to lift off a few cards, when you reach over, naturally you will lift off a third or more of the deck.
I received this deck today, and it is really good. I made an adaptation for this to work in french, because as supplied, almost half the deck needs to be changed for other cards (at least for french language). Those interested can pm me a proof of purchase [what is the value of the highest card seen on the picture of the explanation ?] and I will be happy to give you my setup for this miracle to work in french.
To sum up, because it's better that long boring text, here are the main points to remember:

Good points:
- deck is supplied
- clear explanations
- almost hands off, you only have to cut the deck
- when you know the selected card, you never touche the cards again

Minor points:
- no crediting
- some typos in the text
- deck cannot be used for other effects

I give this effect 8/10, powerful and nice.
Apparently the holiday has delayed the delivery of my deck. Fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow (can you tell I'm excited to start working with this?) :)

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2014-01-21 11:03, yachanin wrote:
Apparently the holiday has delayed the delivery of my deck. Fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow (can you tell I'm excited to start working with this?) :)

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

I ran the tracking number too, it should be there tomorrow.
Hi All,

My deck arrived today and it didn't take long to see that some very clever thinking went into this. As others have said, the instructions are clear and easy to follow. The procedure is simple and it won't take long until you are comfortable and confident enough to give it a try. I had a chance to perform it twice today and it worked like a charm each time. The reactions were a mix of, "no way!" and a shocked, "how the h=ll could you possibly do that?" Each was smiling as I walked away :)

I used the second method (i.e., spreading the cards and allowing the volunteer to remove a card) because I like how that plays better than allowing the volunteer to cut the cards. Both methods, however, are easy and no sleight of hand is necessary. The reset is simple and only takes a few seconds.

I'll be working on my own storyline to fit my persona, but I will be using this. Congratulations, Devin, on another winner!

Regards, Steve
Thanks Steve for your review, that is the kind of reaction I get when I perform this.
I performed it also, and the reaction was really nice, better than I expected actually.

I like to say that I realize difficult cuts, triple cuts, etc., and they are stunned ;) They truly believe you are a mentalist / card master at the same time !
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 06:34, doriancaudal wrote:
I performed it also, and the reaction was really nice, better than I expected actually.

I like to say that I realize difficult cuts, triple cuts, etc., and they are stunned ;) They truly believe you are a mentalist / card master at the same time !
[/quote]

Do you see this as a potential mentalism effect? I have found with lay people this is one of the most baffling card effects I can do. It just doesn't seem possible and you can repeat it at the next table. If you were counting down to the card you couldn't repeat it as people would catch on at the next table, but the spelling of the cards name conceals the principle and you can do it for every table in a restaurant with different results. How you could place a card returned to the deck while you back is turned to a position it can be spelled to is totally unfathomable to spectators.
Without giving any secrets away, before you start the trick, can you spread the cards FU on the table to show quickly or spread maybe half the deck.
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 12:17, magicthree wrote:
Without giving any secrets away, before you start the trick, can you spread the cards FU on the table to show quickly or spread maybe half the deck.
[/quote]

Yes, you spread thru the deck face up as you remove the Jokers from the deck allowing the spectators to see what appears to be a normal mixed deck.
Thank you, Devin.
Devin, is there any improvement on the PDF you already published in the past? Besides getting the deck together of course.
No, the routine supplied with the deck is what I published. If you buy the PDF and then the cards needed to make the trick, it will cost you about the same as buying the deck from me, plus I pay postage worldwide. The PDF was mainly written so people overseas could make a deck for their language or make the deck in a certain back design. I supply the deck professionally made in Bicycle backs for English spellings of the cards.

Due to popular demand, I will be supplying the deck in Jumbo size for stage use in a few weeks.

Devin
Hi All,

I just returned from out-of-town and the chance to perform this for my wife (she's my ultimate gauge for testing a new effect or routine) and she asked me to "do it again!" Now, you have to understand that the only time she asks me to repeat a trick is if she is really thinks it's great. Otherwise she usually says something like, "that was nice." Given her track record with knowing what will or will not go over well with an audience, I have to say this will surely be a hit with your audiences. This is a no brainer.

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 14:02, Devin Knight wrote:
If you buy the PDF and then the cards needed to make the trick, it will cost you about the same as buying the deck from me, plus I pay postage worldwide.

Devin
[/quote]

If you want this, do yourself a favor and don't buy the PDF from Lybrary.

Buy it direct from Devin. What he says above is true! I bought the PDF.
I performed this effect at a college event I was booked at mid-day today. I did a stage performance followed by strolling magic. One of the strolling effects I did was this one, and the response I received was VERY impressive. The look in the spectators' eyes and comments like "how the _ _ _ _ did you do that?" was a true indicatior of the impact. This effect has a permanent place in my strolling and closeup play list.

--Charlie
By the way.......if I had the Jumbo size that Devin is working on, I would have performed this from the stage for sure. As soon as the jumbo size is available, I will order one for sure

--Charlie
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 21:52, misterillusion wrote:
By the way.......if I had the Jumbo size that Devin is working on, I would have performed this from the stage for sure. As soon as the jumbo size is available, I will order one for sure

--Charlie
[/quote]

Available in about 2 weeks
I bought the PDF file at Lybrary.com and made my own deck. Less than 30 minutes to prepare and learn. I am looking forward to using it in my restaurant work.
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 21:20, Jack Straw wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 14:02, Devin Knight wrote:
If you buy the PDF and then the cards needed to make the trick, it will cost you about the same as buying the deck from me, plus I pay postage worldwide.

Devin
[/quote]

If you want this, do yourself a favor and don't buy the PDF from Lybrary.

Buy it direct from Devin. What he says above is true! I bought the PDF.
[/quote]

When I made this post, all I really meant was that you are not going to save any money by buying the PDF.

The only advantage to buying the PDF would be instant gratification if you have what you need, and you probably do!
This appears to be the same trick as Thirteen by JB magic but instead cf counting cards you are spelling the names. Thanks to some Café members I bought the PDF as I had the necessary items to make the trick up. I would say most magicians have what is needed. Since this deck can only be used for this one trick you don't really need bicycle cards, any cards will work.
Hey everyone, the PDF has been updated at Lybrary. If you bought this you can download it again and get the new update. Here is what is included in the expanded edition. This is a free update.

This ebook also explains how you can make the deck up in jumbo cards for stage work and includes a special handling for jumbo cards. The routine is a bit different from that shown in the videos and does away with the magician cutting the cards. The jumbo version is actually more amazing and impossible looking the smaller version.

The directions also explain how to make this deck up to work in most any foreign language, the deck that is sold on the market for $25.00 is designed for English spelling of the cards. Once you learn how the deck works, you can easily construct a deck to work in most any language. In the directions there is a chart showing how to make the deck up in French.

For those who wish to do this trick in German, Alexander de Cova has come up with a brilliant solution and explains how you can make a deck to work in the German language.

BONUS MATERIAL: The Auto Spell deck is touted as a no memory effect, but for magicians willing to utilize some very easy memorization, then magician, Michael Daniels shows how to construct the deck so the performer REVEALS the name of the selected without asking the participant. The memory work is extremely easy and within the grasp of most magicians.

You can make his deck and not use any memory, but for those willing to utilize his technique, then you will make this killer effect even stronger. Plus using his technique will allow you to use the deck for other tricks and how you do this is explained in this ebook.

Here is the link:
http://www.lybrary.com/autospell-deck-p-417907.html
Thanks to Dorian Caudal for his french chart. If anyone buys this and comes up with detailed information for other languages please send me a PM with the information, such as Spanish and I will add it to the PDF with credit to you.
Hi All,

I just finished reading the revised PDF and have to say that the addition of Michael Daniels is excellent. As the copy says, you can reveal the name of the card before the volunteer announces it (in case you want to perform this as a mentalism effect). The amount of memory work is quite small.

The handling of the jumbo card version is simple and, I believe, appears more amazing than cutting the deck as performed in the original. I will try that handling with my regular deck to see what kind of reaction it gets.

Thanks, Devin, for the additional revisions to "Auto Spell Deck."

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2014-01-25 19:01, yachanin wrote:

The handling of the jumbo card version is simple and, I believe, appears more amazing than cutting the deck as performed in the original. I will try that handling with my regular deck to see what kind of reaction it gets.

Thanks, Devin, for the additional revisions to "Auto Spell Deck."

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

Yes, the jumbo deck version is more amazing and can be done with a regular deck of cards too. The response is even more amazing, and doing everything with your back turned and taking the cards behind your back, makes this appear even more impossible. You now have three ways to do this, and all are very strong and will leave people shaking their heads in disbelief.
Thanks Devin for adding my variation to the Auto-Spell Deck ebook.

Glad you like it Steve.

I should point out that my deck only works in English. The memory work involved is very small - it should only take five minutes to master.

Mike
I bought the PDF from Lybrary and made this up pretty quickly. Like so much of Devin's work, it is cleverly designed and easy to do. And it's also great that it has sparked some additional worthwhile ideas.

Joe Libby
Ventriloquist and Comedy Magician
San Antonio, TX
I received the updated version, nice little addition of Michael Daniels, if you want to present this effect in a more "mentalist" way (although several memdeck allow you to do that, with a normal deck).
Thanks for this update Devin, very generous !
Another update on the PDF at Lybrary, Marty Kaplan supplied me with details on how to make up the deck in Spanish and this is now in the PDF. If you do performances in some of the cities with a lot of Spanish speaking citizens in Southern Fl, NV, TX, NM,AZ and CA, then you may find it worthwhile to make up a deck that works for your Spanish speaking audiences.
The jumbo deck version is here and is a limited run. The handling of the jumbo deck is even more baffling than the close up version. If interested PM. A video demo of the Jumbo deck will be up soon.
Here is a link for an unedited demo of the JUMBO VERSION so you can do it on stages in front of hundreds of people.
http://youtu.be/n9a-3zo5890
Ordering information for the jumbo deck, Devin?
UPDATE: The pdf on Lybrary has been updated to include another effect possible with the deck. It is the Happy Birthday Effect. Have a card selected from the deck, no force and the person returns his card while your back is turned. You give the deck one cut and the person spells Happy Birthday and his card turns up. This is great to perform for anyone having a birthday and the PDF gives complete details. Self working.

Those who own the deck will be able to quickly figure out how to do this.
[quote]
On 2014-01-29 22:10, Jack Straw wrote:
Ordering information for the jumbo deck, Devin?
[/quote]

The price for this deck sent postpaid anywhere in USA or Canada is just $30.00 (this deck only works for English spelling of the cards)

Click below to order via PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=3BDJ5ATPWKGVE

OVERSEA CUSTOMERS: Due to recent price increases in postage, I can not send this deck postpaid overseas, as I will go in the hole big time on each one. I can no longer eat the costs of postage. If you want a deck, I ask you to pay $10 toward postage. That doesn't cover all the postage, as I will pay the balance. So the deck is $30 plus 10.00 for postage for a total of $40.00.

Click below to order via PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=JATYYHTPBAWPY

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Purchased the pdf yesterday and have to hand it to Devin. I think this is very clever and an excellent trick.
To be honest, I would recommend getting the pdf from lybrary but either way is fine.
Nice job Devin, thanks for putting this out.
I mentioned this in a PM to Devin and he suggested I share it here. When your volunteer has finished cutting the deck, you can ask her to choose whether to use the top card or the bottom card on the deck. If the bottom card, ask her to pull it off the bottom of the deck . . . and you know what to do from there! The trick still works.

I haven't tried that with an audience yet, but that might be a useful presentational tip for some. Enjoy!

Joe Libby
Hi Joe,

Nice touch. I'm willing to bet that many volunteers will decide to take the bottom card just because it would be so unusual to do so.

Regards, Steve
It is wonderful to see so many people enhancing on my idea. I just finished a strolling gig tonight and gave them the choice of top or bottom card while my back was turned. I told them not to tell me which one they took, but to take either the top or bottom card, look at it and push it into the middle of the deck. This seemed to make the trick even more impossible.
Allowing the spectator to choose either the top or bottom card is a very nice subtlety.

I can confirm that this also works with my deck (as described in the Auto-Spell Deck PDF) enabling you to know the spectator's card (whether top or bottom was chosen) before it is named.

Mike
There is really no reason to have to turn your back so much in this effect. Just do every thing out in the open.
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 06:29, magicbyswh wrote:
There is really no reason to have to turn your back so much in this effect. Just do every thing out in the open.
[/quote]

I think turning your back really adds to the effect. It makes it appear that you have no idea where the card is replaced or which card was looked at. I have tried it both ways and with my back turned gets much greater response.
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 00:20, Devin Knight wrote:
It is wonderful to see so many people enhancing on my idea. I just finished a strolling gig tonight and gave them the choice of top or bottom card while my back was turned. I told them not to tell me which one they took, but to take either the top or bottom card, look at it and push it into the middle of the deck. This seemed to make the trick even more impossible.
[/quote]

That's cool, Devin! Thanks for sharing it!

Joe Libby
I just got my Jumbo Deck today, Devin. Thanks for the quick delivery.

Not to pick a fight, but just to point out to you and clarify something here, you state in the instructions that these cards are 4 times the size of a regular deck.

Put a playing card into a copying machine and enlarge it 400%, and you will get a playing card that is 14" x 10". Enlarge it 200% and you will get a playing card that is 7" x 5".

This deck is twice the size of a normal deck.
[quote]
On 2014-02-03 22:08, Jack Straw wrote:
I just got my Jumbo Deck today, Devin. Thanks for the quick delivery.

Not to pick a fight, but just to point out to you and clarify something here, you state in the instructions that these cards are 4 times the size of a regular deck.

Put a playing card into a copying machine and enlarge it 400%, and you will get a playing card that is 14" x 10". Enlarge it 200% and you will get a playing card that is 7" x 5".

This deck is twice the size of a normal deck.
[/quote]

I believe a typical jumbo deck is twice the width and twice the length of a poker size deck.
So it would require 4 poker size cards to occupy the same space as one jumbo card.
I think "4 times the size" may depend on how you define the term, but it seems to be generally accepted that a jumbo card is 4 times the size of a poker card.
With all of the truly false advertising that is running rampant in magic I think the argument you are making is perhaps trying a bit too hard to find fault.
Well, honestly,videoman, there is a big difference between "Four times the area" and "Four times the size".

Once again, here are magicians re-defining terms to suit their needs and ignoring reality.

So say it's "Four times the area" and I'll have no problem with it.

This deck is twice the size and four times the area, which are the same thing.

I won't argue because some people here do not have the mathematical knowledge of a 9th grader. I do have that knowledge. The ignorance of others is not my fault or my problem. Mathematical terms are not fuzzy and open to debate. Magic might be, but math is not.

If I read an ad stating that a card is "Four times the size" of a normal deck, I'll be expecting a deck that is 14" x 10", not 7" x 5".

Don't blame me if I get a little PO'd when it's not 14" x 10", because that is what I was expecting.

On the other hand, I paid for and now own both versions of this, and I like it, OK?
Or how about this-

Instead of saying the cards are "Four times the size of a regular deck" (which is deceptive and not true!), just say that they measure 7" x 5".

Problem solved.
I will update the direction manual. The cards are shown in the video, and it is obvious from the video that the deck is not 14 x 10. I was not trying to be deceptive. It takes 4 regular playing cards to make the size of the jumbo card. Most dealers and magicians refer to a jumbo card as four times the size of a regular card.
I looked a the ad I sent out and it only refers to the deck as jumbo, it does not state the size.
"Performer shows a jumbo deck of cards and fans them out showing it to be a regular deck. He hands the deck to a participant and turns HIS BACK and asks the participant to cut the deck as many times as she likes. Once she has stopped, she is asked to look at the top card, show it to the audience and to bury it in the deck. REMEMBER THE PERFORMER HAS HIS BACK TURNED DURING ALL THIS. THE SELECTION AND RETURN IS 100% HANDS OFF."

I did notice in my script to the audience I mention that the cards are four times the size of a regular card so they show up better.

I will update the patter to say the cards are larger than regular cards, as I feel it would sound awkward to say the cards are 7 x 5.
I don't see any problems with telling the audience that the cards are four times the size of a regular card. For one thing, they ARE four times the size by any normal reckoning. And even if they weren't, magicians dissemble and exaggerate to their audience all the time.

Mike
Mike, I don't mind saying that to my audience at all. We can lie to them about it all day long.

Devin, I did not want to pick a fight with you over this.

I did mention that you stated that in the instructions, and all I'm saying is that they are not 4x the size. They are 4x the area. They are not the same thing.

That's all.

If the producers of Jumbo Decks have been calling a 7" x 5" card 4x the size for the last 70 years, they've been deceptive for the last 70 years. If I read a comic book advertising a Jumbo Deck as being 4x the size, I would be thinking that they were 14" x 10". Until it arrived 4 months later and I actually saw what I was getting.

This may seem like a minor point, but I truly am sick of all of the lies and deception that go on in selling a magic trick to magicians.

And I am not forgetting who has deceived me, and I'm not buying from them anymore.

Devin, that does not apply to you because of this. I am not mad at you at all.

I'm just trying to straighten it out.

The cards are twice the size of a regular deck.

Done.
In my way of thinking, a card that is 2.5" x 7" is twice the size of a regular poker card (2.5" x 3.5").

How much bigger is this by your calculation Jack?

Mike
I understand your point Jack Straw but it doesn't crop up as an issue very often because the vast majority of magicians are familiar with the the size of a jumbo deck so they are not expecting cards that are 14"x10".
In fact, this is the first time I remember seeing an issue with regards to the size of jumbo cards.
There have been many attempts over the last hundred years to create the perfect spelling deck. Joe Berg had a nice one called Auto Spell Deck that worked different from mine. The trouble with most of these decks is that they required secret cue lists or lots of memory. Then too, once the trick was done, in most cases there was a complicated setup to reset the deck. Some the decks required short cards and other key cards. Some of the early decks required referring in some cases to either a Jack or Knave, or Two or Duece depending on which suit was selected. The performer had to remember which name went with what suit. In many cases, the cards were spelled differently. Sometimes you would use OF and other times you wouldn't. You had to remember how to spell the card depending on what it was or have a secret cue list.

Because of this, most performers hated spelling tricks. I spent several years developing my auto spell deck reading everything I could on spelling tricks. I wanted to develope a spelling deck that required no skill, NO MEMORY and had almost instant repeat. The big thing was to NOT HAVE TO MEMORIZE anything. I wanted my deck to be self-working too. Auto Spell is the result of over three years of playing around with potential methods and what I finally released is what I think is the perfect version of the spelling deck that can be done by anyone with no card skill or memory work.

Yes, Michael found a way to do my effect using memory, but the original trick does not require memory. I did not invent the spelling trick as there are thousands of them in print, far too many to even attempt to credit everyone. I did invent this improved deck that overcame the short comings found in other methods.

One last thing, you can not do HANDS OFF unless you use memory. Since my trick prides itself on the fact that NO MEMORY work is needed, proves this is not a copy of Richard's trick.

Just for the record, HANDS OFF fooled me the first time I saw it. I was trying to figure it out based on my method. I was stumped because my method will not work for Hands Off. The clever subtle bit that Richard explains with the Jumbo cards fooled me because I knew it couldn't be done with my deck and it can't. I released my Jumbo deck but it does not use the subtle bit that Richard uses. You can't use his idea with my Jumbo Deck. The trick will not work. Those who have the DVD know what I am reffering too.
[quote]
On 2014-02-04 12:02, Michael Daniels wrote:
In my way of thinking, a card that is 2.5" x 7" is twice the size of a regular poker card (2.5" x 3.5").

How much bigger is this by your calculation Jack?

Mike
[/quote]

I honestly do not want to beat this dead horse, Michael, and I had no intention of returning here to do that.

I can only state this:

You cannot blow up a playing card to 7" x 2 1/2" because you are only taking one dimension to twice the size and not the other.

Go to a copy shop and ask them to enlarge a playing card to twice the size.

You will end up with a card that is 7" x 5".

Go to a copy shop and ask them to enlarge a playing card to 4 times the size and you will end up with a playing card that is 14" x 10".

Or else ask someone with a degree in mathematics what size you would get if you took something that is 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" and made it 4 times larger. I guarantee you that she would not say that it would be 7" x 5". I'd bet everything I own against everything that you own on that. But I'd need to see some proof of education before I agree to that bet. The head of Oxford's mathematics department would be fine by me, but I would need to have absolute proof of their credentials before I agree to that.

3.5 x 4 =14, and 2.5 x 4 =10. You must multiply both dimensions by 4 to enlarge something 4 times.

It's that simple. It really is.

I absolutely refuse to say any more about it, OK? I'm done here.

Unless you are going to take me up on that bet. Then I'll further the conversation.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

PS- Two horse sayings in one post- Wow!
[quote]
On 2014-02-04 14:13, videoman wrote:
I understand your point Jack Straw but it doesn't crop up as an issue very often because the vast majority of magicians are familiar with the the size of a jumbo deck so they are not expecting cards that are 14"x10".
In fact, this is the first time I remember seeing an issue with regards to the size of jumbo cards.
[/quote]

And I get it, videoman, I really do.

But if magicians have been calling a standard Jumbo Deck "Four times the size" forever, then they've been wrong forever! From what I see, magicians are not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to things outside of magic.

Me? I graduated from UCLA. The University on the Corner of Lennox Avenue.

But I certainly don't mind telling my audience that the deck is 4x the size of a regular deck.

I probably will say that they are 4x the size in my own presentation.
There is a great spelling trick called (Magician v/s Mentalism))by Teo Annemans.
Tricky Ricky
In Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks you'll find 'Perfect Spelling Trick'.
The effect is exactly the same.
I don't know Devin's method, so I don't know if the methods are the same.
But it is also true to say " No Sleights, No Skill, No Marked Cards, No Long & Short or Rough & Smooth, NO FORCES OF ANY KIND. Best of all you can do this with nothing to memorize. The card is spelled the same way each time.This ingenious deck is entirely 100% self-working."
Also the Encyclopedia is a lot cheaper and contains hundreds of other tricks too!
[quote]
On 2014-02-07 08:08, El Mystico wrote:
In Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks you'll find 'Perfect Spelling Trick'.
The effect is exactly the same.
I don't know Devin's method, so I don't know if the methods are the same.
But it is also true to say " No Sleights, No Skill, No Marked Cards, No Long & Short or Rough & Smooth, NO FORCES OF ANY KIND. Best of all you can do this with nothing to memorize. The card is spelled the same way each time.This ingenious deck is entirely 100% self-working."
Also the Encyclopedia is a lot cheaper and contains hundreds of other tricks too!
[/quote]

This was my inspiration, but it had the person mentally spelling a card as they were removed from his pocket. I think I have improved the method and everyone who is familar with the Perfect Spelling Trick thinks my method is a bit stronger and overcomes one of the weaknesses in that trick.
In my edition of the Encyclopaedia (revised 1961) the cards are not spelled from the pocket.

But I agree that Devin's method is cleaner and stronger.

Mike
I think you must be confusing it with something else; Perfect Spelling Trick does not involve removing cards from the pocket; it is a straight deal from the top of the pack.

(Off topic, but, since you're there, can I think you for your Glass Box Prediction which is fabulous! I often use it to close my mentalism shows)
Ok .....I have Devins Auto Spell Deck since a week last Friday ....I have used it on Layman with GREAT AMAZEMENT ......I Cannot Explain the strong reactions and I am still reflecting on these.
It does what it says on the tin !

I am an avid Finger Flinger but every now and then I just want to perform something that is straight forward with no funny moves and fancy goings on.
I didn't think too much of spelling effects with cards ...the idea seems lame and childish to me.....boy oh boy was I WRONG !
It's straight forward to perform and done so at either a basic level or the way I prefer which is to perform some mind reading ....and reveal the card....then POW just when they think you have finished you ask them to Spell down to it .....
It's repeatable if you wish ....but how can you top WALKING ON WATER ?
Great for walk around ....
Well presented and written and FINAlly an effect that I didn't feel I was fiddled on after purchase.
If you have any other items similar let me know ...
I'm in !
Keep up the great work.
Thanks Dave .UK
How are folks handling the inevitable "can you do it again?"
This trick seems like it would possibly prompt that response more than most. Do you just move on to something else or is there an appropriate variation utilizing the spelling theme?
Sorry, but I am not well-versed in spelling effects.
Hi videoman,

The reset only takes a few seconds, but I would not perform it again for the same group. I would pocket the deck and perform something else :)

Regards, Steve
I must say this is very clever.
I used the jumbo deck version for a audience of about 50 senior citzens this past Friday at noon-time. The reaction was excellent. I did not repeat it; just did it once
--Charlie
[quote]
On Jan 23, 2014, Devin Knight wrote:
If you buy the PDF and then the cards needed to make the trick, it will cost you about the same as buying the deck from me,
Devin
[/quote]

Mr. Knight, I don't wish to make an outrageous request, so please pardon me if this is one. I bought the PDF from Lybrary.com when it first came out, and liked the trick a lot. But I was reluctant to make up a deck, for reasons I think would be obvious to anyone who knows the way the deck is composed -- it's not difficult to make up the deck, but it perhaps involves a lot of waste. I did not know you were supplying the decks, also, to anyone who bought the trick direct from you. If I can prove that I already have the PDF, which sells for $9.00,could I order the deck alone from you,, for $15.95 ($9.00 less than the full price)? Just a thought. I really would like to do this trick -- it's ingenious, has a powerful effect, and seems very easy to do. Thanks for considering my request.
Dear Devin,

I am big fan of your work. May I know how it differs from Spelling Deluxe by George Kaplan
Just bought this and it is impressive, but I've got to go buy some more decks...
I heard this is the same as Richard Osterlind’s “Hands Off” from his 2012 book Six Shooter. I don't own Six Shooter so I can't verify. Can anyone whose read Six Shooter tell me it's different from Osterlind's version?
[quote]On Jul 28, 2014, terrillific wrote:
I heard this is the same as Richard Osterlind’s “Hands Off” from his 2012 book Six Shooter. I don't own Six Shooter so I can't verify. Can anyone whose read Six Shooter tell me it's different from Osterlind's version? [/quote]

You heard wrong, the method is completely different, as is the effect.
Thanks for your clarification.