(Close Window)
Topic: How do you keep your Props in order at home?
Good Morning,
I have seen many discussions on where to keep it during a gig. My Question is how do you keep it all on hand at home?

Do you have a special Magic Den? Do you have a huge pile of stuff in the living room? How do you keep your collection from overtaking the garage?

Mr Phil
Thanks for a great question. When I am at home, I like to have my magic organized and situated in such a way that I can get to most anything at a moments notice and with out having to dig through boxes to find it.

I store all my magic and illusions in my magic den. It's on the first floor which helps make for easier access of the larger props used in my shows.

As for the majority of the smaller props, I have found using Rubbermade storage units to be wonderful. The units can stack on top of each other and work as drawers. You can purchase them in various sizes so even your bigger props can fit in comfortably.

Each of these units rest aginst my back wall and each are labled in the front according to contents. That is, silks are in one drawer, manipulative magic in another etc. This has worked so well for me that I hope others may try it themselves. It just takes dedication to place your props back where they go once you are finished using them.

Hope this helps.
I use a 4 drawer file cabinet. 2 drawers have the props. The other 2 are set up w/hanging folders to hold books, lecture notes and trick instructions arranged alphabetically :)

Paul
I am fortunate enough to have a basement for magic. In one corner I keep and raise my doves. I built an indoor aviary for them. Then on one wall I put up shelves for my books and tapes. My larger props are all stored in boxes with the name written on them. I too use the plastic drawers for smaller items. Each drawer is label with type of prop. My close up acts are always kept in case ready to go. I keep 3 ring binders with the instructions for each trick. The binder is divided into categories. I use the center of the room for practice. Putting up my backdrop gives me the sense of a real theatre. Great for taking pictures or taping my rehearsals. I'v e seen a lot of post on different sites about prop storage and most seem to lean toward the plastic stacking drawers. All those magicians can't be wrong.
Dave
Similar to others, but here is my 2cents worth:

books, catalogs, videos: all on shelves and organized accordingly.

small magic items (close-up): stored in rubbermaid shelves- one shelf for coins, another for packet tricks, etc.

Small prop magic: stored in large pantry cupboard... easy to see, easy to access.

Travelling to the show: my table packs in my suitcase. My show packs into a rubbermaid container. Extension cord, water bottle, kit with glue, scissors, etc. are in a milk crate. At the show, the suit case sits on top of milk crate (on it's side) so it can be used as an additional shelf or ditching are for finished tricks. Suitcase houses effects to be used (organized in the order to be performed) and the rubbermaid stores all the bags, boxes, etc. not needed and doubles as a table. Naturally, the rubbermaid is covered w/ a nice cloth as is the milk crate and suit case.

cheers,

john
I just use my drawers where my clothes are supposed to go and each drawer is a different set of objects. I also have dividers in the drawers and I keep all of my clothes on the shelves in my closet or they are hanging up.

-Dave :bikes:
Something I found helpful is office expanding A-to-Z folders. These paper files work wonderfully and last for years. Currently I use three folders (mentalism, cards & coins, and general close-up).
No more magic drawers for me (where the trick is finding the trick).
My various acts are all housed in their own containers. My Medieval Renaissance act lives in a wicker basket. My Wizard School act has it's own custom table that houses all it's various props. The Science of Magic show is housed in a rolling rubbermaid container. My other props live either in a oak tool cabinet that I got real cheap (after Xmas) at Costco or in a series of cigar boxes in my magic bookshelf. There is no order to much of any of it, I just mostly remember where it all is, or, at least, is suppose to be.
Shoeboxes, under the bed.
I just found a nice medium-sized blue plastic box at the Thrift Store. In fact, it's still got the price marked on the outside. I keep all my cards, coins, sponge balls, and what not in there. As far as magic books, I just keep them boxed up with all my other books. Whenever I want to read one, I just go fishing for it.
:stuckinbag:
For what it's worth, I have a chest on chest that I store a lot of my magic stuff in at home. About two months ago I started taking over another piece of bedroom furniture and I still see more stuff everywhere I turn.
Guess I have to approach this a little differently. All the ideas have been helpful, now if I can just find my front door I'll be all set!! :die: :magicrabbit: :die:
I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful wife who has let me convert a spare bedroom for a magic room. I have an armoire (sp) to house some books and "stuff". My tv and vcr are on top. I have a vanity chest with drawers for more books and "stuff". It also has a large mirror on it for practice. I got a few vcr racks from Best Buy to hold the vid/dvd collection. I found a bunch of plastic divider boxes to store the small "stuff". I have a fold-up table for practice and a comfey chair for reading or watching vids. Still, there's books and "stuff" all over the place. Bless my wife... I think I'll keep her!
I too am blessed with a wife that tolerates a Magic room in the basement. Props are stored in a locking pantry, books and such are on shelves in the rec room, small suff in the ever present rubbermaid tubs.

The "Show" is packed in a suitcase table along with the case that carries PA & backdrop, both are in the garage.
Mine is in a HUGE tackle/tool box that I got from one of those “Mega Stores.” The lid has two small plastic see through compartments for my coins and small gimmicks. The top drawer is for all of my decks and medium sized effects and the base holds a lot of stage and party gimmicks.

It is almost always in an open “hap hazard” state of array on our bedroom floor and about once a month when my wife is out playing Bunco, I get to bring it into the living room and organize it.

I am only allowed one shelf for my magic books, fortunately that is all it takes. (Us married guys get a lot of “one shelf” opportunities. – I only get a Tupperware © box in the bathroom for storage but that is another battle for another day)

My videos resign in a basket in the living room. (don’t ask)

I think if I ever got to the point of having a “Magic basement” I and the computer would move down there and the little woman could keep the upstairs (and the bathroom).

Blessings,
Old hard shell suitcases found at thrift stores. They stack well and are used to bring the props to the show.
All of my close-up (not much) is kept in an old wooden sewing chest, it is multi leveled and is spilt down the middle so that it has two sides that open out sideways, roughly the size of a tackle box.

Walk Around/parlor/clown is in a plastic tote w/wheels.

ANY form of bondage (handcuffs, strait jacket, escapology of any kind) has to be as well hidden as possible (my wifes rule) when company comes. So all of it resides on shelves in our dry storage room and is locked away. :rotf:
Last night I put each individual trick/packet/prop in its own ziploc sandwich bag or freezer bag.

I also have started ripping out the articles/trick section descriptions from Genii and Magic magazine. I went from a 1 foot stack of magazines (50% advertising) to a 3 inch ring binder of just material.
I have one room just for magic storage. However I keep my regular performing material in a custom made box. Everything is ready to go at a moments notice. Takes less than 5 minutes to load up and go.
[quote]
On 2002-09-17 01:21, Jeff Dial wrote:
Old hard shell suitcases found at thrift stores. They stack well and are used to bring the props to the show.
[/quote]

I have found at both Sam's Club, and Wal-mart (slightly different) a unit that has 4 lg. drawers, and 2 smaller.. the unit is sturdy plastic, with roll-on wheels... total height is approx. 50 in. I have several of them, each unit is set up for a show, based on 'type". Each drawer is clearly labeled as to which effects/props (silks, cards, flamables, etc.) are in each drawer.

Going/packing for a show is now simply going to the unit, select the drawer (effects).. and go.

I also have 3 smaller "units" that are approx. 15 in. height, (no casters). In these contain, smaller effects, props.. ie. close-ups. Labeled as well.

Cost of the lg. units are approx. $30.00.. and well worth it.
I have one of those plastic shelving containers that holds everything fine.
What I usually use in my performances is this:

Deck of cards.
Rubber bands.
TT.
50 Euro bill

This I carry with me all the time and is the only props I have. Then at my desk, I have always different elements in wich I am working at that moment, for exemple, magnets, IT and a lot of things that I think
"or maybe I can do something with this"
I need organizing :)
I agree with most of the previous answers. I will encourage one thing. Many of the posts mention going to your storage & then packing for each show. I would like to suggest to close-up workers that you always keep one bag/attache packed at all times with all the props & accessories that you normally go out to perform with. I know that that will require you to have duplicates of the items you may like to carry with you on a daily basis, but it is worth the investment.

I am a full time close-up worker. I am fortunate to have a large overflow of jobs that I hire other magicicans to work. I also hire close-up magicians to work with me on large corporate jobs. Sometimes 5 or 6 on one job. I can't begin to tell you how often I hear the comment "I forgot to pack such & such into my bag" Sometimes they forget the props for their best effect. Always keep one bag/attache case fully loaded & ready to go. If you don't, you will be very prone to forgetting something that you really need.
I have lots of magic so I have stacks of Rubbermaid containers of various sizes all labeled so I can get right to whatever I need. The larger stuff I keep in a special cabinet for apparatus. I don't have any real large illusions so I don't have that complication. I sure wish I had a room I could dedicate to magic like in the basement.
That must be very nice indeed.
[b]Prop Management[/b]

[b]Books-[/b]I have Two Locations:
[list]
[*]1. My Kids books, Tarbell, Rice's Encyclopedias of Silks, Showmanship and Presentation, Comedy Books, Ventriloquism Books & Booklets surrounding my computer for quick access.
[*]2. Most of the larger hard back books, Illusion Books, take four shelves of my 5-foot Oak Bookcase in my Recreation room.
[/list]

[b]Instructions:[/b]
In a three ring Binder, alphabetically by Prop Name and a copy in a sub-category, such as wands, silks, coins, etc.

Instructions for Routines are scanned in my computer, and placed on a routine and stage form (self-designed) and altered to my routine patter along with notes. If a trick routine crosses other categories (Kid Shows, Christmas Shows Birthday Party Shows), then a copy is placed in that category. So I can find a trick instruction easily I cross reference them and also enter them in a database.

[b]Booking Binder:[/b]
I have a booking form and calendar in another 3-ring binder. As I get a call and complete the form, I make three copies. I file one in the binder by Person Booking the show (Client Name), One by Corporation (Organization, if corporate show), and one by Month (Monthly- Great for next year's bookings). Attached to each is a post review of the show listing effects and relevant information.

[b]Promotion/Advertising Binder[/b]
This binder contains ideas and promotional material, by me and by other magicians. It is in three sections, one which promotes the shows, such as free giveaways, business cards, Large and small bills, wand certificates, etc. The second section contains those advertising flyers, brochures, letters, etc. that have limited "lifespan" and are costly. No advertising/no Bookings. The third section contains copies of testimonials. (Originals are filed in filing cabinet.)

[b]Index Card Box:[/b]
This box contain index cards of all my Magic, Routines, Props, Illusions filed by name and Category. It is a quick access and a hard copy of what I own.

[b]Database:[/b]
I have about Twelve thousand (12,000) oneliners in my one of my databases. This allows for instant routine development. Other Databases include, listing of tricks by Tarbell, listings of Illusion Plans I own (over 250), listings of video/DVD tapes and tricks on them, listings of tricks in the many of the books which I own, Indexes and Table of Contents of the books and video. There are also other databases.

[b]Illusions:[/b]
My Illusions are in two locations, my outdoor well built shed or my trailer (To big for the house.) Illusions that break down easily, like the 3-in-1, Princess, Pole, and Sword Suspension etc., are stored in the trailer and easy to travel with.

[b]Illusionette:[/b]
My illusionettes are shelved in my trailer. Illusionettes are larger prop magic, like Rabbit Wringer, Rabbit Washer, Head Chopper, etc.

[b]Stage Magic:[/b]
Like the Illusionettes, but smaller, like the Zombie, Dancing Hank, Hippy Hop Rabbits, etc. Are in assorted sized plastic containers on shelves in the trailer. Milk/Liquid Tricks, Cards, Silks, Comedy Props, Zombie, Wands, etc.

[b]Close-up Magic[/b]
I have my most powerful closeup tricks in a [url=http://www.magictricks.com/accessories/caseclose.htm][b]Close-up Case[/b][/url]. Which contains cups and balls, Cards, Thread Magic, Sponge Rabbits, TTs, and a few other props.

Other close-up props are in another plastic container.

[b]Axtell Animals, and Puppets[/b]
These critters are all in one oversized case, that right now, I haven't found a good place to put them. They are under my Computer desk counter top with the plastic boxes (Closeup tricks, Fire Effects because it is to Hot in trailer/shed for them, Liquids because they freeze in the winter).

[b]Workshop:[/b]
My table saws, drills, and wood shop tools are in my father-in-laws large basement. (No room in my house!)

[b]Corporate Stuff[/b]
Since half my Recreational room is converted into a corporate office, besides my magic books, bookshelves, I have my file cabinets, phones, copy machine, office storage supplies closet, desks, etc. Makes for ease of publicity/advertising/promotional materials etc.

I want to make several Leftler type tables to contain my various shows, and re-organize my props to match my shows, rather than putting the show together from the various bins. "Ready to Run" shows.

Now, for beginners, all this did not happen over night, nor is it complete. It took years of "real" work, not magic work, to accumulate the funds to do this, and learning to organize. It still needs work, and time to practice. I still do freebies to try out new tricks and work out the bugs. I love to read, work on the computer, outline, categorize and analyize my VHS/DVDs. Fortunately, I am retired with a good pension and family benefits to allow me to do this. Now I am fighting the years left to perform.

Hopefully, this will give others some ideas on prop management and organization.
Closeup magic in a groovy metal suitcase, big stuff in a large Rubbermaid tub. Everything else sits on a shelf in the closet.
My entire house is the storehouse of my magic “stuff”. Every room has visible magic props and illusions. I have to put them somewhere. Of course I live alone in a modest three-bedroom cottage.

One large closet is reserved and full of costumes.

You will find two head choppers and a head twister plus a nice collection of hand made wooden magic props/tricks (wooden chop cup, stop trick, etc.) in my living room. A sword basket, a suitcase table, a very menacing home made French Hand chopper, a couple of Rydal made props from the 50’s and my Kayak are in the dining room (OK, where would you keep your Kayak?). Yes there is plenty of room for a formal dining room table [with a collection of cups for cups and balls, a close-up pad, and the Dennis Loomis mini chop cup set-up (I’m practicing that one) cover the table] and a china closet.

One bedroom is a magic library/studio. Three walls of bookshelves (still not enough room for my books and videos/DVD's!), both a practice close up table and chairs and several tables used in other acts. There are three (three!) closets in this particular room. Each is full of magic paraphernalia in labeled boxes.

My bedroom has my street table setup and the entire street act (including Giberciere fully loaded and ready to go) several plastic tubs full of tricks that I am playing with. There is aslo a large bookcase full of the magic books that I am currently interested in.

Of course I have a collection of armor and swords, three manikins in costume, and a ton of fantasy art all spread around the house.

Hummmmm…maybe that’s why I live alone!
Boy Harry,

I thought I had a problem. I finally got everything contained except the stuff I am playing with at the time. All in rolling suitcases with extending handles except for a big wooden trunk in the garage and my carry around cases and close up case. I have two army surplus computer cases in the garage but they are too big for just me to carry by myself. The bigger things go inside of those.

Wife is kind of touchy about having the spare bed cleared off. :lol:
I wish I could say I was as organized as everyone else. I will practice my magic wherever I go, so there is usually a few decks of cards just laying around the house. I will carry a book with me, then remember another similar effect, leave the book where I was at, then go get another book. Usually I have at least 10 books laying around, not to mention all the torn cards. I am going to go to Menards (a hardware store) and buy an industrial strength tool shelf. Its 27 dollars and holds 1200 pounds per shelf. I think it was intended for use in a garage, but it should fit my magical needs nicely.

xx
I didn't say I was organized, I got a place for it but it doesn't mean it's there! If it's "there" in it's place, I can't play with it!
I have a separate magic room which contains everything else except illusions which are stored in my garage (I have a 6 car garage) which is modified a bit to act as a storage.

I have videos and books on a shelf and bigger props on shelves as well. For other stuff I just have storage boxes (about the size of a microwave oven). 3 boxes for silks, 1 for sponges, 1 for normal decks, 1 for card tricks requiring special cards or set-up, 1 for general close-up stuff, 1 for gimmicks (D´Lites, TT´s, ITRs, pulls, holders etc.)

I always have my tables and close-up case empty and fill them as needed. For maintenance I have an steam iron and ironing board and a sink so I can wash and iron silks.

One thing I especially love is a curtain display rack I salvaged from a defunct curtain store. I have all my foulards and BIG silks and such hanging there.
I don't have a wife, so the interior of my house is furnished by Rubbermaid, Bookshelves, VCRs, DVDs, and computers.

Decorations by Tannen, Abbotts, Hank Lee, Yogi magic Mart, The Fun House, and 35 years of buying (I keep telling myself I'm not a collector), etc. I also have one of each product manufactured by Majart Studios for its 5 year existence. (My products) I worked as a demoman in 3 different magic shops, so when something cool came in...

If furniture gets in the way, I just throw it out!
I'm mostly into close-up magic, though I do do some stage work. I have a closet (I have a lot of these) where I store the majority of my supplies, I've made a number of shelves (though Rubbermaid organizers would do the trick), which helps me organize my tricks, I have, basically, one shelf for each form of magic (i.e. coins, hankerchief/silks, mental magic, etc).
I like to keep my books in large Rubbermaid type box, in a closet away from prying eyes. If I am in the process of using a book I keep it in a drawer near my bed.
I have 3 bags that I can take with me. All 3 are always packed and ready to go out the door.

1. A soft-sided briefcase type bag, I use this when I am going out informally or just to practice.
2. A lockable catalog case, when I am going to a paid gig. It has a few more things in it.
3. An small 12X6X6 tackle box, also for a paid gig I leave this in the car, it contains Sharpies, band-aids, gloves (in case of a flat on the way got to keep those hands clean), rubber cement. Etc.
I keep all of the instructions for my effects that I buy in an expandable file.
I used to keep my stuff spread throughout the house. One day my girlfriend decided to be nice and arrange everything neatly for me. She did a great job...all except for the Raven which she neatly placed on top of several videos!

Now everything is locked in a file cabinet!
I just have lots and lots of shelves in my room! The only problem is that I have to put a big sheet over all the shelves when friends come over!
I spent last week putting up lots of shelving and buying plastic boxes to put on them. Living in a small apartment in New York City makes this a necessity and am glad I finally had a chance to do it. Labeling the boxes is the next step. Here's to a more organized New Year!
Embarrassed to admit it, but shoes boxes. Although they are well labled and I have never had problems locating what I needed. I plan on improving my storage, sometime when I have time to do it.
I get along with cardboard boxes. But they are long and wide and shallow, because if they are deep you could never find anything =P

I also keep a few drawers full of stuff I use all the time.

Stedwick
I'm fortunate to have a room in my home which I refer to as my magic room... everything is stored there on hangers, shelves, boxes and folders. When it is organized I am able to walk in at a moment's notice and pick up what I need. However, approximately once a year (after the Christmas rush usually) I have to reorganize everything as it's in a bit of a chaotic state. Books, I prefer to have on a shelf in my bedroom closet so I can grab one from time to time for night time reading. Some I can verify will put a person to sleep even with lots of coffee drunk beforehand!
Would you believe it, those plastic hang up shoe organizers will work nicely in any bit of closet space to hold videos, small to medium props, the clear plastic storage compartment boxes with the coins or other really small items, numerous decks of cards (with the practice and tearing packs at the bottom row)?

The little windows are clear so you can see what is in them. They hang up well and if you get one or two and cut them down a bit, you can have one pre-set for a show and be able to hang your costume or vest or whatever on the hanger over it.

Okay, so I made one out of fabric to fit the hanger and my vest, (which is only for working and the pockets are always loaded). I can hang it in the car to travel. It has little velcro buttons on the pocket tops to keep things inside in case of rough handling or tumbling.

Hope this helps
I have a big closet with most of my stuff in, and a bookcase for my books and DVDs. I also have decks and books and other little things like coins lying around to practice with when I come across them. I usually have to have a sort out every month or so of my closet as it is such a mess! :magicrabbit:
Our formal lounge room contains all my sentimental favourites and my custom made magic box sits in the corner - it always gets a comment and the request for a magic show. I try to sell anything I no longer use or give it away to younger magicians if they show they can perform the effect well.

Then there are two hard cased suitcases sitting in the shed, full of solid foam with cutouts for all tricks that I currently do not perform but intend to in the future. I tend to cycle my tricks to keep variety in my show. I have a large library of books and DVDs. Any videos I have copied to VCD format or sold the video and bought the DVD, this is becoming easier now.

My favourite videos also sit on my laptop in MPEG format, great for plane travel or late at night in a hotel far from home. All my instructions, articles and effects are stored in an Access database, I scan and store the words and throw the paper version away.

All my large props "pack flat" and sit on shelves in the shed. These days I can carry my whole show in my jacket and trousers or one box for the kids shows.

Every item is stored in a zip locked bag or cloth bag to protect it.
In my den, I have my animals on one half and my tricks in big wood cabinets. You can easily get them at Goodwill. Hope that helps. Bob
13 years ago, my wife had a big black trunk built for me. It's got three drawers in it, in which I divide up coins, cards, and other, along with the huge main area for storage. I call it my Magic Trunk (remember Mr. Dressup with his Tickle Trunk?).

Someday one of my kids will inherit it and become a world famous magician, or become independently wealthy after selling it all on ebay! :kewl:

Brian
Shelves on my computer room. Almost time to buy a new shelf.
I went to Walmart and in the tool section they had small drawers for holding tools...
I bought both large drawers, and little drawers.

The large drawers hold 4 decks of cards a piece. The little ones hold coins and other small things.

I then printed out little mailing labels with the props name so each drawer has the name of the prop that’s inside it. So everything is easy to find!!

Good Luck
I've got a trunk (for chains/straitjackets/juggling gear), a flightcase (handcuffs/padlocks), and a high shelf for everything else (assorted magic stuff).

In the garage I store unicycle and stage illusions.

The biggest problem is keeping the children away from the stuff.

James.
I am a high school student and I am currently taking a shop class. I have built a 2 dresser storage unit, just for my magic to store in my crawl space, and I have a night table beside my bed that stores all my close up, stuff. But I still don't have enough room. But those 3 things helped a lot, go out and buy one or make one like me, it will help.

Thank you and God bless
Faced with a growing amount of magic and books (it's not a collection - I swear!), I either had to get rid of some of the junk or build a garage.

The garage is almost done.
My dad used to keep it all in the attic..Pretty spooky if you didn't know what was going on.
I don't :D
I'm so messy.

Well, the gimmicks I use I do actually keep safe and sound in a closet.
:carrot:
Keep my props in order? BE REAL!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I'm lucky enough to have two rooms practically all to myself even though I'm still a kid, as I'm the only kid in my house (my older sister is grown and lives away from home). So, I have plenty of room to store my magic stuff and I don't have to worry about others going through it.

I have a big walk-in closet in my room with plenty of shelf space. This is where I keep most of my magic magazines and books (other than the ones scattered around my room that I'm currently reading). I categorize the books by different areas of magic (coins, cards, general close-up, historical, etc.) and they are are alphabetized witihin each category. I have my magazines in chronological order.

I do mainly close-up, so I don't have bulky props that take up a lot of space and I have room for most props in my closet. However, I do keep a lot of them at my practice area and I have decks of cards in various places around my house (though my parents get on my back about that).

Then I keep my videos and DVDs in another room near my TV. I don't have too many of them yet, but I'm sure my collection will grow and then I will have to start organizing them.

My friends say I'm too organized, but I suppose I just like knowing where everything is. And I do have to reorganize things every few months or so, as nothing stays organized for long!

Emily B.
I'm adding my stuff into a dumpster :band:
I have a Chinese armoire (similar to a map cabinet, but with various sized, but many, drawers and cubbies). Add to that 2 bookcases, and 4 briefcases (3 for tricks, 1 for instructions).
I'm lucky enough to have a three bedroom house and a daughter that grew up and got married. One spare bedroom acts as mama's sewing room and other as my office/magic room.

I use several bookcase units to hold my magic book collection and all of my props. When I can clear out the center of the room I have a rehearsal area. Rehearsals usually take place in the living room when my wife is not away as she doesn't like it when my magic spills out of the official confines of my magic room. :goof:
I've got a large Rubbermaid container for holding my closeup stuff. Books are on one shelf of a large bookcase, along with my journals. Rocky is in his own box that says "Man Eating Raccoon!" :fear:
I am also one blessed with a wife who let me turn a spare room into my magic den.

All my close up is stored in a huge multidrawer tool/tackle box.

I have a glass-fronted bookcase (I think they were called a pharmacist or barrister case) for my magic books and videos and next week I am getting new (bigger) storage cupboard for bigger stuff like my stage magic and clown props.
I have all my magic in plastic containers that have six drawers in each. They are on rollers and I have labeled on the front each item so I can go right to it!

Boy, am I organized or what!

My wife had said, either me or the magic! The divorce was final six months ago!!! :rotf:
IKEA is my friend in this capacity. They have really nice birch multi-drawer cube units that run about $14 and have the added bonus of looking pretty decent.

I'm one of those "I have a room for this stuff" people, that room being my office. Post-IKEA-rampage, I've taken to sorting the somewhat terrifying number of tricks and apparati into separate drawers, labelling each one with a bit of masking tape.

These cubes are sitting on top of a "storage coffee table," which is a good place to house the videos and larger-scale illusions I have.

I guess the bottom line is this: it doesn't matter how you keep things organized, but rather that you keep 'em organized at all!
---
Who let this Legare guy in here?
Organized??? I have magic in every room of my house, in both of my cars. Hmmm, … might try that.
At my house, I use my chest of drawers for magic.

alan
Concerned about friends or family seeing what they aren't supposed to, I have a room with an oversized closet that holds my library on bookshelves, my props have hangers for them, and I have organizers for effects based on type. I keep coins sorted, etc. DVD and Video's are in a TV cabinet, and both the closet and cabinet are locked so that they cannot be accessed.

But I ran out of room and keep other items in storage below my house.

However you keep them, I suggest locking them up to keep secrets from the lay audience.

MM
I keep all of my instructions to tricks in plastic sleeves in a 3 ring binder. I keep all of my magical material in a desk with three shelves.
I am the most organized of all.

All my large props are on metal shelves I obtained at auctions, my smaller ones are in plastic divider drawers I got at the dollar store, my card efects are stacked on end in boxes just the right size to hold six apiece, complete in alphabetical order with index cards indicating which is which. My library has dvds and vhs on a separate metal shelf, and book shelves hold my books.

It all fits in one room of my small trailer. Miraculous is what it is. :clownjuggling:
My wife recently decided to have a company install custom shelves/hangers in a good sized walk-in closet. She obviously asked me what I wanted for "my" side. I quickly responded with "lots of adjustible shelves and only a small double decker hanger for my clothes". After the new closet was finished I began moving my magic apparatus and books in there. Why a closet? First, it's dark, so the spines on my books will not fade as it would elsewhere. Second, it keeps my magic stuff away from curious hands when I have visitors. Third, I have plenty of space to consolidate all my "scattered" pieces throughout the house. It's become my "magic hideout"
:readingbook:
Everything thing in Zip Locs.
After reading these posts, I now realize what I should have been doing to better organize my props all these years. I have a rare disorder known as Nefarious Tableitus where I am constantly trying to make or buy the perfect magic table or case. I have a case for every occasion and show. One suitcase table(Lefler for birthday shows, two for industrial shows, etc. Props that I buy , but don't use are stored on shelves, drawers . Every room has magic even my bathroom has a large square circle and a guillotine. Every time I can't find a prop or gimmick, it's a real adventure looking through my drawers , cabinets and shelves, for it brings back memories. It can also be a nightmare when you can't find one little gimmick, etc. I guess the advantage of being single is you are not limited to one room. Every married magician who has visited me is very envious, for I live in my own little world of magic. My slogan, " If furniture gets in the way , then donate it to the Salvation Army."
Darryl the Wizard
Thank you DenDowhy! Some great suggestions there. I too use the Rubermaid system silks, cards, sponge balls, ect... My books and magazines are in seperate excel files, but the scaning of instructions, that's golden!!--a project I intend to get started on soon. One suggestion for you coin lovers. I purchased a lot of gimmicked coins at an auction that was in a nut and bolt type case with a lable on top for the content of each drawer, thankfully that work was done for me but it sure takes the quess work out of finding what you need, of course it could be used for more than coins.
I find it is helpful to have two of all the props in my show. That way the show stays packed up in its cases ready to be grabbed and taken to a gig. While the other set in my basement to practice with, develop new material, or just incase a prop gets lost or damaged.

When I started out in magic I was always taking stuff out of my cases to work on and getting to a gig only to find out some key prop was back home.

Chris
I have a magic den in my house, but it still gets messy never mind what I do, but it is an interesting mess.
Mario
I use clear plastic boxes and label them with as to contents (silk fountain routine) as well as a box designation (i.e. A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.) The reason for the box designation is that I have been trying to inventory my stuff with ShowMan, show management software.

So, for example, if I'm looking for a dye tube, I go to the database, and see that I have a dye tube stored in box D3 (the silk fountain routine box).

Does anybody know of another program like ShowMan that would integrate routines, performances and inventory? Does anybody else use ShowMan?
I used antique looking boxes, cases, small and big trunks/chests and one dresser.

Usually bought at garage sales and the likes!
Store instructions in binders, and books videos in one dresser drawer!

And I still can't find whatever I'm looking for?

Bob
Hi all,

I use a few round tubs (plastic paperbins),shoe boxes for paperwork, and on top is, hmmm...well, I'd say it's some kind of shoe shine tray, or a cleaners tray, about 10 compartments, and a handle in the middle. Oh, and on top the freezer is a large washing-up bowl, full of magnets, which really gets on the wife's nerves as they are all rare earth ones, so things fly in this house. Beware with a toy box and a half of videos and DVDs.

Oops! re plastic paper bins, eh? I mean plastic WASTE paper bins. That's better. :o)

jezza
I bought translucent plastic shoe boxes from the Container Store. I put a 3" x 4" sticker on the ends of them where I wrote the contents. These stack on top of each other so I can pull out what I need without disturbing the rest.

In fact I would recommend going to the Container Store (physical location or online) and take a look at all the types of boxes they have. You might find something that will inspire you to get organized!

yours,
Scott
I'm trying to get my magic room more organized.

At the moment I call it "Tribute to Al Flosso's Back Room"
I have a whoe built in wardrobe dedicted to my my magic. In side its all lined with black and red velvet. All the close up magic is lined up in their packets on about 2 shelves. All the stage magic is then laid out like a display cabinet because I like to open my wardrobe and have that magical feel when I see all the silver equipment (like dove pans and comedy funnel) presented in one section e.t.c. I have hangers for silks and things like the sword for the sword thru neck.

If you have your magic organised it always makes you feel more excited when you sit down and dig out all those good magic tricks that you've had for years and never prfected!

James
It took them 60 years to diagnose my ADD. That means for 50 years my table top == spilling onto the floor -- and it must be here somewhere system is being compensated for and some traits "unlearned.

I have the feeling the sleightofhand1 may not be kidding -- as my lady of 14 years and did come apart recently so I moved the whole collection to my home of 5000 square feet in the Tucson mountains -- and have spent the last seven months renovating to add storage, rehearsal and building facility to a living and reading space. The place now includes:

1. A seance room and venue seating 15 plus performer. This room also contains all psychic reading props, Egyptian Sand Reading props and fortune telling props. All are out in visible shelves (in ethnic category) to compensate for the proclivity of "out of sight, out of mind" that ADD engenders.

2. A magic rehearsal/storage and craft room with a tool room attached.
The tools are in three chests by vague category that keeps my rooting through them to a minimum -- if I remeber to put them back. Also sound and lighting controls and wiring are kept in the tool room -- the lighting masts and instruments in the trailer ourside.

3. The rehearsal room has an alcove bounded by an 8' high and 12 ' wide proscenium. The alcove space contains two Black and Decker Double Locker rigs for the current act's small props and supplies, confetti, etc. A wonderful Costco import tool chest (two parts) of wood contains close-up stuff -- and narrow stuff like ice picks, wands packet stage size stuff. Also in the alcove is a custom 24 drawer (each drawer 24 deep, 10 across and 10 deep for silks, pulls, straight jacket, cuffs, wallets, etc. These are screened from the seating area by a portable BG screen and performance can be done in the proscenium to a depth of 7 feet back.

In the audience area -- if I move the craft tables out where I build and modify props, I can seat 20 comfortably -- and the walls are lined with three rows of 18' long shelves -- above the floor high enough that my illusions and fully cased routines can fit on the wall below the shelves. These routine are labeled in big lettered tags -- knowing my ADD lets me forget which is in each. On the shelves are other props and tricks I have acquired and sometimes throw into a show for theme purposes -- but they arer all where I can see them displayed. 14 books of ring-bound instruction sheets are also now on these shelves.

Costumes are soft goods are in one double closet in this room -- the other has cases and some personal memorabelia.

Plastic see through boxes (double or triple shoe box size) inhabit the floor when I am workiong on prop building or modification -- each "job" with the parts in its own box.

4. Exceptionally confidential materials on readings and mentalism, my seance materials and the like are libraried in my locked (albeit small) bedroom on three bookcases of 36x48. All current routines and planned use routinmes have been copied into 20 ring binders of from 1-3" size. (Just how many living and dead tests does one person need.) One or two very special props for mentalism where I knoiw only 1-5 versions exist in the world are in here too.

The living room holds 2 8' high 48 wide golden oac shelf set that house my illusion and general magic book collection -- minus the seance and mentalism. In a glassed 48x60 "legal" bookcase -- and along the top of the library cases are non exposing displays of the works of Paul Fox, Owen Magic Supreme, P&A metalwork (rarely seen), Jim Riser, Creekmore, Thayer, Okito/Nielsen, Harrakahn and other collectable but sometimes used (always useable) pieces. Again- open for use in sight.

Another 8' bookcase has my collection of graphic novels and bound manga -- while the shelves under the long window house JB Shaw, TR, Mark Train, O'Henry and Ayn Rand collections -- well read. A mexican revolution collection is also wedged in, with an accent on Pancho Villa.

The office room is more mundane -- housing only magic CDs, a Mac and two printers, copiers, fire proof files and regular files...and the DVD production stuff. Oh yes - one CD rack 60x30 contains royalty free music I have purchased and used. (My opera, classical and now narrowed VHS collections fill similar racks in the back hall....)

On the big desk -- there are still piles of pape4rwork -- but I can usually find everything now rather quickly. I have indeed filed catalogs, tax papers, etc. out of sight -- but spent the time to label them for a quick find.

5. Down in the shed -- (20x25 metal) I have my table saw, drill press, jig and band saws along with a supply of Baltic Birch plywood.

6. The trailer holds my levitations, lighting instruments, Magician's revenge, Wiz-Kote (complete withn ATA cases and fire extinguisher) my mad scientist lights thru rig -- pipe and drape curtains -- a snake basket trick I have been workiong on for 5 years and still do not like -- confetti canons, and "suitcase" tables for show roll-ons -- and a 1500 watt spotlight in ATA case.

NOW -- THOSE OF YOU WITHOUT THE HANDICAP (and it is a handicap) OF ADD probably laugh at having to keep all this stuff "in sight." I have cut the visual confusion down by making sure everything is kept neat and accessible by -- what to me -- is great and concentrated effort. Now, too -- I can focus on performance with what I have.

Several years ago -- Jeff McBride shared with me a method he sometimes uses to develop a routine. He puts on some music of the mood he wants to create -- dumps his magical toys onto the floor where he can see them -- and starts playing with them. Often they come together in a new idea or routine. But he has to see them to use them.

So -- I have made my whole home into an orderly "Jeff's Floor."

--Oh yes -- I do not use all 5000 feet of the house. I care for my 91 year old dad (still has his marbles -- but not his legs) in a part we have made into an 1800 square foot apartment with kitchen for him.

In my years in magic -- I realize that many restless -- seemingly disorganized but very sharp magicians -- suffer from varying degrees of ADD. It is not a personality fault -- but many tend to accept blame for the lack of orderliness as a social failing -- rather than a manifestation of a mind that may move too fast to be "orderly."

I have been fortunate so far in having the means to put this together. Now it is time to get back on the road -- and get my admin side of the business under control. Any suggestions for a good filing system?????

GC

PS- pardon spelling anf grammar -- I did not proof the above -- I have to pour some foam for props tonight -- and messed up my last batch.
My magic stuff is mixed in with my clothing and random papers going back to 4th grade homework all in a bonfire-like pile. In fact, it was through pure luck I found my computer to respond to the question
I have two rental storage warehouses that contain the remnants of the Merlin act, as well as some of the PA gear. That stuff is very precisely organized in categories determined by which piece hit the floor of the warehouse first.

My "office" contains my magic books, about 2500 of them, plus magazines, some sorted, some not, and my synthesizers.

Upstairs is another room that contains miscellaneous other things filed away in shoeboxes.

Oh, yes, and the garage contains various tools and props sorted by Brownian motion.
Miracle Man,

It wouldn't be too hard to design an Access database (assuming you have the program) to design a storage system similar to what you described, plus it would have the information you would want.
In an "office" at my house.
Shelves with books, videos and lectures. The props, clothes and other things in a very old furniture piece, with drawer and shelves.
[list]
[*]Cards: remodeled 2 drawer, VHS Cassette storage. packet tricks are in a album for card collectors.
[*]Coins: As above but lined with rubber foam.
[*]Mentalism: An old cigar box and a large book with the middle of all the pages cut out.
[*]Larger and little used props are in a rubber crate.
[*]Instructions: Binder
[*]Kid Stuff: a small, pocketed suitcase.
[*]Books and vids: bookshelf.
[*]Small stuff (TTs,ITs, magnets, writers, pens, etc.) A utility case with different size plastic drawers.
[*]Closeup items I use most often are in belt pouches and a small shoulder purse that has nice size pockets. This is next to my bed.
[*]Mats are on a TV tray under the bed and covered with plastic.
[*]Formal Closeup: Briefcase.
[/list]

Stuff can still be found lying around the house and in dresser drawers.
For my card packet tricks I store them in progard sport & game trading card holders. (Top load) I lable the case and store them in an old flip style 3 1/2 inch floppy disk holder.
I use a 4 draw filing cbenet. card in the one props in another and the rest of my stuff in the othe two.
This is an interesting topic. As for my collection it has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years so I have had to expand my storage facilities to include several walk in closets a large portion of my home office as well as my company office. I have everything organized via use and importance in my act. I typically purchase effects one at a time and if I like them and considering adding them to my act I will buy back ups some effects I have as many as 5 backups just incase. Like others I use 3 ring binders for instructions, I have shelves for books (always facing away from direct light sources) I use a electronic data base for routines that I am working on as well as different acts that I have use through the years. My DVD’s are stored in DVD racks that hold 200 or so at a shot. I have a filing system for magic that I have loaned to other magicians so that I do not loose track and forget (I have been burned in the past). My costumes are organized by act and in clothing bags hanging on dedicated racks in the laundry room in a separate closet. My antique magic is displayed in cases in the living room and den. I would say that for the most part my mantra is if you can find it you can use it.
I have my Sub Trunk and the Curtain for it in my Bedroom. I'm thinking of using the Sub Trunk as a Head Board.
I have a big drawer o' stuff...

I try to keep it clean, but I'm getting to the point where I simply have to shove everything in to get it to fit...

'course I'm still pretty new, so I don't have all that much currently...
I keep it in several suitcases here in the house. I don't have any books to speak of, but they are kept on a book case near the bathroom, for extended periods of "Study"
Interesting topic. I have a business glass display case, an old jewlers one, that has a small glass (4 feet wide x 20" deep and 16" tall) case on top, and then 6 drawers below. The whole case can be locked, which is great with small children in the house. The larger stuff seems to find its place in cupboards, garage or in the basement.
I do not have any large illusions (yet) so I can always find a drawer.
Greetings and Salutations,

I'm getting my gear in order in order to appease my Significant Other, which is still my best trick!

I found a 6-foot tall, one-foot deep, 30-inch wide, two-door cabinet at Target for about $90, and got a dozen shoe-box size Ster-lite (sp?) plastic containers which contain most of my junk. Four of the shelves are height-adjustable. I've got a large bookcase devoted to my magic books, lecture notes, etc., and as soon as I figure out which wall the SO will let me drill into, I'm building some shelves to hold my videos and DVDs. All of it is, or soon will be contained in one room, our magic/sewing/computer/office room. It's a little tight, but once get it all logged into a FileMaker file, all will be readily at my fingertips.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV, of course.

Joe in KC
I use a machinists trunk. Lots of nice thin drawers (perfect for decks of cards and other similarly-sized effects).
[quote]
On 2004-05-10 02:47, chmara wrote:

It took them 60 years to diagnose my ADD. NOW -- THOSE OF YOU WITHOUT THE HANDICAP (and it is a handicap) OF ADD probably laugh at having to keep all this stuff "in sight." I have cut the visual confusion down by making sure everything is kept neat and accessible by -- what to me -- is great and concentrated effort. Now, too -- I can focus on performance with what I have.

In my years in magic -- I realize that many restless -- seemingly disorganized but very sharp magicians -- suffer from varying degrees of ADD. It is not a personality fault -- but many tend to accept blame for the lack of orderliness as a social failing -- rather than a manifestation of a mind that may move too fast to be "orderly."

[/quote]

If it helps any, I would not have guessed in a million years from what you post here. You have a very organized mind, or at least, you have done very well in reigning in and controlling your affliction, as I think your posts are some of the most well thought out, objective, and logical essays I've had the pleasure to read. I'm even more impressed now than before.
I got a large case and I organize my tricks in boxes. Cards in one box, close up in another, etc. My large illusions are stored in the garage.
My office & studio are in Hotel Rooms!
Yes! Hotel Rooms.
Filing cabinets, while a little more expensive than rubbermade containers,
are GREAT. No stacking and unstacking, just deep drawers, with labels on
the front.
And it looks good and professional if I need to visit with a client.

Nathan Allen
artist/agent/owner
Wiseguy Entertainment
http://www.NathanAllenMagic.com
I keep the effects I use the most in my "Case" table. I wish it was a little bigger, but then it would be to heavy. I keep the rest in big plastic boxes with lids.
I keep books in bookcases and paper boxes and plactic boxes. I think plastic boxes are better than paper boxes. A bookcase is the best place to keep books.
I pretty much do exclusively small, close-up stuff (I'm not a professional, just perform for family, friends, etc.) so I don't have lots of large stage props to store/organize. I have several "art supply" cases (which are really just very nice tackle boxes) to store small props. I keep my coins in 2x2 plastic flips which are stored in coin pages (similar to sports card pages) in a notebook. I have long card collector's box that is perfect for decks of cards. Everything fits into the drawers of a large dresser.
Well... I have labels:) Whole room filled with magic. Closet contains all the literature, magazines, and all that jazz. All my close up is also stored here. Along with the 'not used often' stage apparatus. Along with my suites/jackets/and formal wear for shows. Each drawer in this room has a label on the front. Have my office desk- with labels on those drawers for booking sheets, contact lists, etc. Then I have the magic cases/travel cases/flight cases. All with labels on them. Organization is key!

best always,
Matt Tomasko
[quote]
On 2002-06-02 07:05, Mr Phil wrote:
Do you have a huge pile of stuff in the living room? [/quote]

sounds about right. ;)
I keep all of my props in a room in our basement. All of the smaller closeup tricks and stage accesories are kept in rolling drawer organizers. You can find these at an office store for about $30 each. I keep larger stage props in square plastic containers that stack, which helps to save space. Really large props are covered in dust guards. Organization is key!
-Michael
[quote]
On 2005-11-18 21:25, magicalaurie wrote:
[quote]
On 2002-06-02 07:05, Mr Phil wrote:
Do you have a huge pile of stuff in the living room? [/quote]

sounds about right. ;)
[/quote]

I'm just getting over this stage. I focus mostly on cards, so I have a draw full of envelopes, spares and suchlike. It's like the living room was, but smaller and with more writing. A lot of my junk consisted of 'bad cards'- the kind you pick up because you need to find the cheapest sensible cards to practice with (I try to make my own props. I find it's more satisfying)

This helps because I can just grab a few envelopes at random and practice with those when I get a free moment. It also reduces the likelyhood of being caught short when someone demands a trick.
I have a bar in my basement with all my magic around it.
I try to keep it in one area, if it is not together I tend to lose things. Generally try to have book and dvd space then I have prop space with organizers around the bar for smaller props.