(Close Window)
Topic: The Open Billet Box by Steve Pellegrino
This is fantastic! It just came out this year in January and at first I was reluctant to get it but now I am glad that I did. The box folds flat and holds A TON of billets (I have about 200 in there now.)

So all in all you should get this because it is very well thought out (his psychology makes sense) and it is a fooler! (At only ten bucks every person who needs a billet box should consider it being open, not having a top.)

Here is the download link:

http://www.lybrary.com/the-open-billet-box-p-414959.html
[quote]
On 2014-02-17 23:37, dave johnson wrote:
This is fantastic! It just came out this year in January and at first I was reluctant to get it but now I am glad that I did. The box folds flat and holds A TON of billets (I have about 200 in there now.)

So all in all you should get this because it is very well thought out (his psychology makes sense) and it is a fooler! (At only ten bucks every person who needs a billet box should consider it being open, not having a top.)

Here is the download link:

http://www.lybrary.com/the-open-billet-box-p-414959.html
[/quote]

I must say, I just bought this, and it really is great.
Is it hard to make up, how crafty do you have to be?

cheers
[quote]
On 2014-02-18 16:18, takeachance wrote:
Is it hard to make up, how crafty do you have to be?

cheers
[/quote]

super easy. it's basically exploiting a brilliantly useful feature, with minor modification. I'll be using this immediately.
Dave, thanks for the quick review, I was thinking of picking this up but was reluctant to do so. Will certainly pick this up this weekend. Hopefully the thread stays true to topic and not others "offerings"
I made a smaller version today (7"x7"x5.75") and it still hides 200 billets. This was a recommendation by Bizzaro because the first seemed a little too big.

Hope this helps people.
I agree, this is the best billet box I have used.

For the price it is a steal!

Get this now, you will not be disappointed!

Cheers
Art
This is Steven Pellegrino at his best, TOP idea!

Cheers Dave
Simple, clean, portable, effective and innocent.

Oh..and ten bucks.
This is very good. A simple idea, but totally practical. The "construction" involved is so simple that it can't really be called construction at all. It's will take literally three minutes without any tools.

My only reservation is that, while the product you're adapting looks very easy to get hold of in America, it's much less widely available in the UK. I have yet to find any shop in the UK that stocks them. You can buy them from one seller on Amazon.co.uk, but they are more expensive than the US prices quoted, and you'd have to pay an additional £10 for delivery.

Some stores in the UK sell similar looking products from different manufacturers. I've looked at a couple and, although they appear to be the same thing, they are not suitable for the principle to work - so I wouldn't recommend buying an alternative unless you've actually examined the product to make sure.
They are bit more pricey here in the UK (again from Amazon UK) but comparing it to the cost of a billet box from a dealer, still £££ cheaper! AND PACKS FLAT!
I posted a little review in the inner thoughts few days ago when I bought the PDF from Lybrary. I had a little bit of problem finding the box in France and I finally found it for 10€. I tried it for the first time for a Groupe of 30 people and it worked fantastically well. The great thing is that it is a OPEN box very innocent no one even looked at the box during the preshow.
Great prop and thanks to Steve for his thoughts
Pourang where did you found it in france?
Oh and I can agree it looks very promising!
In a store called Castorama.
Many thanks!
I was reminded for a moment of the Mentalist Dream Box!

Both do the same, even though the MDB is hands off and a little bit pricier! Lol.

:)
I have seen both the £95 Luca volpe version and the pelegrino version, and I much prefer the pelegrino.

You could make 10 boxes of various shapes and sizes using Steve method for the price of one of Lucas small ones, and they work virtually identically.
Link won't work for me ?
You need to copy and past to URL address bar.

MagicCafe have some code issues to fix... Gene is daMan!
Picked this up the other day; man what a deal! I still would like to pick up Luca's version down the road. This thing looks very professional and flat does the job. I know this is being billed as non-hands off, but for me the switch works on its own without me even thinking about it.

I like the innocence of this box over the more expensive ones. It looks a lot more natural (or what the kids are calling 'organic' these days.) And it packs flat!!!

Dave Johnson, thanks for the heads up on the smaller version. I am going to pick one up tomorrow when I head up north. It would be nice if the ebook could be updated with this alternative. The bigger version is easier to find, though. I'll be returning the bigger one back to Walmart.
Hi all,
Reagarding obtaining the proper box. I live in Sweden, so maybe they aren't around.
But my wife currently works in Seattle, WA. So, while there, maybe she could buy one for me before returning to Sweden.
Any help on this is appreciated.
Best wishes,
Peter Gröning
Peter, I am looking forward to see and meet you in person soon again :)! Jan
Hi Jan!
Me too. It has been far to long. I am very much looking forward to MindSummit, not to mention meeting you again.
Take care,
Peter
Just got both PDF's & this is ideal...almost exactly along the lines I've been toying with for a basket style but far more practical! Just have to find the required boxes in the UK.
[quote]On May 29, 2014, Peter Gröning wrote:
Hi all,
Reagarding obtaining the proper box. I live in Sweden,
But my wife currently works in Seattle, WA. So, while there, maybe she could buy one for me before returning to Sweden.
Any help on this is appreciated.
Best wishes,
Peter Gröning [/quote]

YOu might have her try Walmart and Target stores and the various Office supply stores such as Office Depot and Staples.

She could also try Amazon and have them shipped to her. They're cheap, so get a couple sets so you'll have backups.
Yes I have 6 of them I got from amazon, they come in two sizes...and different colors
The exact model (closetmaid 784) available in the UK for £7.49 including 20% Tax.

http://www.organisemyhome.com/
Are there any videos of this in action without giving away the secret? The only billet box I'm familiar with is in 13 Steps. I've been using a double w***ed envelope! but would like something that appears more fair. Any other information out there?
There is nothing to really see you have a 12x12 empty cloth box that comes in black and other colors...people drop the slips of paper in it and the dirty work is done in a spilt second and then you go on with the reveal(s)
When you say reveals- are you revealing info they've actually written or is this used for another purpose? I'm trying to be vague because this forum is open, so please feel Fred to PM me rather than post if more appropriate.
[quote]On Jul 5, 2014, twistedace wrote:
Are there any videos of this in action without giving away the secret? The only billet box I'm familiar with is in 13 Steps. I've been using a double w***ed envelope! but would like something that appears more fair. Any other information out there? [/quote]

twister,

The envelope works fine, but I believe that you'll like this. I put it in my show and am very pleased. The pdf is cheap enough, it is a DIY that anyone can do and the materials are inexpensive.

Best wishes,

Scott
Does anyone know if this can be preloaded & assembled in front of the audience like Luca Volpe's TBC OM/Q&A Box?
[quote]On Jul 14, 2014, Suffolk wrote:
Does anyone know if this can be preloaded & assembled in front of the audience like Luca Volpe's TBC OM/Q&A Box? [/quote]

It starts preloaded. The box isn't designed to start flat and then be opened up in front of the audience, but it would certainly be possible to do that with the larger size box (about 12 inches square). If you read the manuscript it's pretty obvious what the handling would be - the base would just be dropped into position as you opened up the box. I'm not sure that it adds anything over starting with an open and clearly empty box, though.

With the smaller sized box, it would be harder to start with it flat. The smaller size box isn't square and the base would be against the side that needed to fold. You might be able to work out a handling, but it would be more hassle and look like you were "doing something" as you assembled the box.
[quote]On Jul 14, 2014, Caliban wrote:
[quote]On Jul 14, 2014, Suffolk wrote:
Does anyone know if this can be preloaded & assembled in front of the audience like Luca Volpe's TBC OM/Q&A Box? [/quote]

It starts preloaded. The box isn't designed to start flat and then be opened up in front of the audience, but it would certainly be possible to do that with the larger size box (about 12 inches square). If you read the manuscript it's pretty obvious what the handling would be - the base would just be dropped into position as you opened up the box. I'm not sure that it adds anything over starting with an open and clearly empty box, though.

With the smaller sized box, it would be harder to start with it flat. The smaller size box isn't square and the base would be against the side that needed to fold. You might be able to work out a handling, but it would be more hassle and look like you were "doing something" as you assembled the box. [/quote]

Cheers. I've ordered two of both sizes of box so I'll have a play and see.
I purchased both Steve Pellegrino's 'Open Billet Box' and his 'Open Billet Box Q&A Edition' and am very pleased with them. The instructions are very clear and well illustrated with photos. As others have pointed out, the construction of the actual box is super-simple and easy to do.

Particularly liked the bonus chapter with the 'Q&A Edition' which details how to use a clear clip board that allows you to read the thoughts of your spectators while your audience sees nothing from the front or back of the clipboard. Very clever idea here, and one I've not read before.
Hi there
Just purchased the pdf, great idea!!!
For those who live in Europe and wants to make exactly the same box,
there's a distributor of the brand
in U.K (just write name of the brand.uk), so the shipping prices will be lower than the USA ones.
This is fantastic, I picked up the PDF and the Q&A version plus 2 of the large and 2 of the small boxes for around 35 quid in total. Both sizes work perfectly.

Mark
Just to say - I've been using this on stage since last August and it's great.
Over 60 performances with it.
My only advice would be to be very careful about making sure all the billets are back near the hinge side before switching as on two occasions I've had a couple of the "wrong" billets end up still in the open section post switch.
Good tip, Doug.

The only issue I had is that some of the billets would crimp and not fall neatly so you have to use a fairly soft paper. Index cards, for example, wouldn't work too well.
I use 2 inch by 3 inch 160 gsm card.
Tip: On the side that goes on top use some weights sewed on both ends. (somewhat like magnet disks)
I've got this, and I'm very pleased with it.

And the best part, is that I literally just had to cross the road to the store and I found the right type of bag! and they're awesome. I bought plenty of them actually.

And it folds flat! this is crazy, never thought I could carry a billet box around in my briefcase.

This is a worker!
I really like it too. Now I just a really big audience to use it with....

I did find some smaller boxes but they're not square like the big one so they're not quite as good. The big ones are really ideal but they're definitely a little out of place for a smaller audience.
[quote]On Jul 17, 2016, Last Laugh wrote:
I really like it too. Now I just a really big audience to use it with....

I did find some smaller boxes but they're not square like the big one so they're not quite as good. The big ones are really ideal but they're definitely a little out of place for a smaller audience. [/quote]

Yes, the small ones have this problem, they are not perfectly square... so the inside bottom piece does not fit perfectly when making the gimmick but a little bit of cutting and sewing and there you go!
Yep, I worked out a solution too, though I do feel like the larger one is better.
EE Wrote: And it folds flat! this is crazy, never thought I could carry a billet box around in my briefcase.
Ditto! Simply such a great idea, low cost, effective, transportable & above all, works! Love mine!
My box is about 9"x 9" x 9", it's small (perfect for small audiences) and it works... it just doesn't work as described in the ebook, as the flap does not automatically fall but I've worked a solution (more of a handling actually) for that, and I love this prop. love it love it love it. If anybody has this problem and would like to hear how I handle this you're more than welcome to send me a pm.

Best,
Ever
I was wondering if anyone could share the rough price of the box needed for this. I'll have to ship it as I live in Asia (Singapore).

I'm currently deciding between this and Luca volpe's version, so any thoughts would help also. Thanks!
In the US you can find the box for only around $5.00 USD
Here ya go
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Simplify-Storage-Bin/43357587?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=1bf94bee-6c33-41ef-8a25-772b790c877e&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=1bf94bee-6c33-41ef-8a25-772b790c877e&item_id=43357587&parent_anchor_item_id=44706669&parent_item_id=44706669&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=dj3YRqzUeZ1Jlb1K-KX9N8