(Close Window)
Topic: 100 year-old wooden crate
This is a prop I made for my themed magic performances. It is made from brand new wooden crates, the kind you find at craft stores. I took them apart and reconstructed them so there were no spaces between the slats.

I designed the logo in Photoshop and hand painted it on the crate. I then began to age the wood creating an old, worn, used look. The metal trim is actually aluminum angle stock (aluminum for lighter weight) this was aged to look like weathered copper or rusted steel.

This was an interesting challenge for me as Iím more conditioned to take something old and make it look brand new again. Here the goal was to take something brand new and make it look 100 years old.

Learning tricks for aging materials was an interesting process; there are lots of great resources on YouTube. Itís amazing what you can do with products you have right in your home.
Nice job, it sure looks old to me.
Bob.
That's some fine work spcarlson.
Mr. Carlson,

I like the crate... very much. It prompted me to look at your website(s) and I must say, I am stunned!! Your work is excellent! I can only imagine that your artistic sense has played a large role in your magic. I hope we cross paths someday. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

~michael
[quote]
On , Michael Baker wrote:
Mr. Carlson,

I like the crate... very much. It prompted me to look at your website(s) and I must say, I am stunned!! Your work is excellent! I can only imagine that your artistic sense has played a large role in your magic. I hope we cross paths someday. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

~michael
[/quote]
I couldn't agree more Michael.
As a keen "sketcher", I couldn't say artist, your work inspires me.
I might scan a couple of my own to get your expert thoughts and tips.
Cheers, Ray.
Thanks everyone for the positive comments on the old wooden crate project.

Being both and artist and a magician for most of my life itís been interesting to see how the two have naturally overlaped, one influencing and inspiring the other.

In the past I have created a lot of drawings and paintings to look like they were hundreds of years old; I call them my forgeries ;o) Ageing the wooden box was a new venture and I learned a lot through this one. I have another crate Iíll be doing so I can apply what Iíve learned to that one.

Thanks again everyone,
Steve
Very nice work.
I love the crate. You are very talented and artistic.
Steve,
Way back in 1981...ugh..I was trained by an old school Sign Painter in the art of hand lettering.
I did this professionally for over a decade. Everything from signs to race cars..all with NO computers and that crappy machine cut vinyl...God I hate that stuff but the times make you use it.
But you chose to go OLD SCHOOL!! Awesome!
Anyway...I must say...you did a FANTASTIC JOB!!
Everything from font selection, composition, color theory and of course execution!
You get two big thumbs up from an old school Sign Painter!!

And for the record, you passed a difficult test as I am very picky, hard to please an anal retentive on all counts regarding signs...just like my late mentor was :)
Wow. Looks great. Love the lettering.
Being an old carney I especially loved the crate...Nice work