(Close Window)
Topic: Penguin Mentalism Lectures
I know this post will be stating the obvious to most out there; however, there might be other unaware people like me who haven't checked into the penguin lectures who can benefit. I hesitantly did the choose 5 deal and picked 5 lectures and am very glad I did. Great information/insight for all. I like the overall atmosphere too of learning by seeing some of the best causally perform, interact, and explain what was performed. Helps me as a visual learner and overall fan of mentalism. Best money I have spent in awhile. Check them out if you haven't already.

For those that have watched some of these do you have a favorite so far? I have seen three of my five so far and like them all fairly equally although I think I have gotten the most out of the Richard Osterlind 2 lecture. I will have to purchase his first one down the road.
Besides the Osterlind 2 lecture, which others did you buy?
Peter Turner, Colin McLeod, Looch, and Patrick Redford

So far I have watched Peter Turner, Colin Mcleod and most of Osterlind 2. I definitely need to rewatch them at some point. Totally different perspectives and styles. I like the diversity and creativity in thinking and performance.
There are Max Maven, Christopher Taylor, and Marc Salem ones planned for April.
Mark Elsdon is excellent.
Marc Salem is planned for April? Wow :-) Ill be tuning in for sure
[quote]
On , looch wrote:
Marc Salem is planned for April? Wow :-) Ill be tuning in for sure
[/quote]

+1
Ian Rowland
Elsdon

In that order

There are some awesome closeup gems in Ian Rowland's vid. As well as his hugely popular card routine. Highly recommended.
Richard Osterlind 2 is my favorite mentalism lecture.

The Bob Cassidy lecture was good.

Marc Spelmann another good one.

Joshua Quinn was interesting.

Howard Hamburg had a couple of routines that can be used for mentalism. This is card magic, but I liked a couple of his effects.

Bobby
My favorites were Mr. Cassidy a phenomenal display if you have studied his work prior there will be repeats but this is certainly the case with others as well, I found his conversations with Harlan to be entertaining to say the least. The first fifteen minutes of Peter Turners lecture had me believing the man was every bit of the legend you hear from those who mention his work. They were all wonderful there are very few penguin lectures that I feel money was spent unwisely.
Cassidy, McLeod & Rowland

Mark Elsdons was pretty good, his equivoque stuff was not bad, I expected a bit more due to his reputation of being an equivoque God.

I LOVE the clock effect from Patrick Redford too.

out of them all I gained the most from Mcleod

Cheers
Art
Is Marc Salem releasing some products or new releases? He sure is being quite visible in the community lately with his lectures last year, Easy Coast Mind Jam, (was he at Mindvention this past year?), and how this penguin lecture. I hope he's releasing some goodies.
I believe Marc Salem will also be lecturing at Psycrets this year as well!
The Penguin live mentalism lectures have all been really great. I saw one mention above, but Marc Spelmann's lecture deserves a lot more attention. Aside from being a very funny and engaging person, his thinking on this lecture was incredible. Looch's lecture was also great. I sometimes feel that Looch and Marc are terribly underrated in the field, which is a shame. They are both brilliant thinkers.

Naturally, Colin McLeod and Peter Turner both had great lectures. While I haven't taken that much away from Peter's, material-wise (yet!), it was his THINKING and dialog that made a huge impression on me. Peter made a wonderful decision to really talk about connections and emotions. I have never seen anyone speak so passionately and eloquently about mentalism as he does. His lecture was, quite simply, inspiring.

Colin is a force of nature. There is nothing more to say. If he's telling you something... take notes. Period.

I liked Richard Osterlind's 2nd lecture, but I think the first one was better, personally. I want to say that Osterlind 2 and Bob Cassidy's lectures weren't all that great - but that's ONLY because they discussed Tervil, and I just don't want too many people remembering that effect is out there! Truthfully, both men are simply legends in this art - and everything they do should be required reading/listening/watching.

Ian Rowland's lecture was also great. Funny, insightful, with some really powerful ideas.

Mark Strivings was another good one. Some great, practical material in there. I found a lot of great thinking in here in regards to walkaround performances of mentalism. Looch also had some really strong thinking on this venue.

Having said all of this, I wouldn't JUST confine yourself to the mentalists for the Penguin live lectures - you'd be doing yourself a great disservice. Even though they might not perform mentalism, there have been some incredible lectures that you should check out, to see more about performance, structure, theory - how to interact with your audience. Francis Menotti's lecture (and, even more specifically his Treachery of Tricks DVD) was incredibly helpful for me. His thinking on structure and the hows and whys he does what he does are priceless bits of information. Greg Wilson, Roberto Giobbi, David Williamson - all worthy of your attention. Think past just the "effects" - and you'll see Penguin has quite a bit more to offer you with the live lecture series.
I wish they will put the lectures in a DVD. Even if it is a home made type if video.

It is very hard to rewind or forward downloads .

Joaquin
Most laptops and desktops have windows live movie maker, just download your lecture - put it into the software and split the file up...then download some free dvd burning software and burn your own dvd version...
I just put all of the Lectures on a USB Flash Drive and that is way easier than trying to burn CD's without the proper software and this way takes a lot less time. And "ALL" Laptops have a USB Port or 2. I use a Samsung Chrome Book and they play just fine using my USB Flash Drive. Even though the CB comes with only 1 USB 2.0 Port I went out and purchased a 4-Port Hub Connector and as long as you only use 2-Ports I can use my FD and Wireless Mouse at the same time without any problems.

Rod
Among my favorite lectures already mentioned are Peter Turner, Ian Rowland, Colin McLeod, Marc Spelmann, Looch, and Joshua Quinn. Jimmy Fingers and Devin Knight are a couple other favorites. Still haven't seen Bob Cassidy's, looking forward to it.

[quote]On , Joaquin wrote:
I wish they will put the lectures in a DVD. Even if it is a home made type if video.

Joaquin
[/quote]
Try VLC player, it's a free download. You can rewind, fast forward and step backward and forward. You can slow down and speed up playback also. If you have a move you want to watch and practice slowing down playback comes in really handy and there is a function to loop segments of the video which is helpful as well.
[quote]
On , John C wrote:
Ian Rowland
Elsdon

In that order

There are some awesome closeup gems in Ian Rowland's vid. As well as his hugely popular card routine. Highly recommended.
[/quote]

Indeed, I've just watch Ian Rowland and it's absolutly wonderfull, I think it's my favourite mentalism conference! The mentalism section is marevellous, really practical and simple ideas that kills. As a magic lover too, I liked the card section as well.

So, Eldson seems greet to, I'll have to check this one :)
And I also enjoyed Ian Rowland's humor, a real "serious-funny" guy ^^
[quote]
On , Joaquin wrote:

Joaquin
[/quote]
It's hard to rewind or forward while streaming, but downloads should be easy to navigate.

Joaquin, have you actually downloaded the video to a file which sits on your computer, or are you watching it streaming right there on the Penguin webpage?
I've gotten something from every lecture. Sometimes I really enjoy the performer, but won't use the effects and vice versa. Peter Turner has probably been my favorite followed by Colin McLeod, but haven't been disappointed by any. There are about 10 more I'd like to order. Best value ever, especially the 5 for $100 deal.
I liked Colin McLeod but I think that there was a little too much emphasis on effects that required other items. One of the items is very expensive - used in which hand - you will know what I mean if you have watched it. The other item, pad of paper, was about $30.

I have nothing against having to buy props and items. The lecture gave me some good ideas. However, I feel that out of the whole lecture, there was little that I could or would want to go and perform straight away.

On the other hand, Rowland was fantastic. However, I didn't care much for thetalia but it's not really my style.

Still to watch Bob Cassidy but it is a given it will be excellent.
For those of you looking forward to a Marc Salem lecture, live or otherwise (Penguin), I would lower your expectations. I know Marc is a highly successful, well-respected member of the Mentalism community and I don't know him personally. But I saw him lecture a few nights ago with two dear friends and we were all very surprised by how "out of it" Marc was. He took about one hour to cover the first effect. After he performed it and explained it, he felt it necessary to show us a video of him doing it again before a live audience via an Ipod video projector, which he had trouble getting to work. There were four or five effects and they were explained just fine, but he seemed to be quite incoherent most of the time, repeating jokes, forgetting where he was, etc. He welcomed questions but then seemed to become annoyed by anyone who questioned the logic behind the routining. He gave us his credentials several times and seemed to get facts mixed up. For instance, "seven Broadway shows" became "eight Broadway shows" by the end of the lecture. He was also, shockingly, unkept. He's let the back of his hair grow very long, his beard and mustache aren't trimmed, his nails were long and he's very overweight. He wore natty black jeans with a suit coat that didn't quite fit. This is not the picture of the man in the last decade who was neat and polished and a top-notch performer. I do want to say that Marc was generally very nice and generous. He even provided his home number in case we had questions about the routines later. The overwhelming feeling as we left that lecture was one of great sadness. Perhaps those of you who know Marc or are close to him might shed some light on his recent state. I don't regret going and I have no ill will towards Marc. I was just expecting something grander.
[quote]
On Feb 23, 2014, cpbartak wrote:
[/quote]

Huge Max Maven fan. I had not heard this was happenning, but wouldn't want to miss it.
For those who do not know, save this link to quickly learn who will be on upcoming lectures:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3104
I'm just popping in here to say thank you to those who've said nice things about my lecture. We live in a world where sometimes it seems people only speak up when they DIS-like something or want to have a moan (not that that ever happens in the world of magic, of course). So I appreciate the very positive tone of this thread.

I'm sure all the lecturers mentioned have plenty of good stuff to offer.

FWIW, my own favourite item, from the Penguin mentalism lectures I've seen, is 'Infinite End' by Patrick Redford. I dearly wish I had created this, but I know I would never have had the creative ingenuity and intellectual firepower needed to complete all the different 'paths' through the routine. I think it's a work of genius, personally.
Thanks for your recommandation, I didn't know about this effect and it does looks great indeed!
I've got to say, Ian Rowland's lecture was in my top three that I've seen so far. I've seen him perform at Magic Live twice, and it was great being able to download his lecture from Penguin so that I can view it at will. For those who don't subscribe to Magic Magazine, Ian also has a column on mentalism every month that is just top notch! Big fan here, Ian!

-Mark
+1 for Ian Rowland's lecture
[quote]
On Feb 23, 2014, Jon W. wrote:
I know this post will be stating the obvious to most out there; however, there might be other unaware people like me who haven't checked into the penguin lectures who can benefit. I hesitantly did the choose 5 deal and picked 5 lectures and am very glad I did. Great information/insight for all. I like the overall atmosphere too of learning by seeing some of the best causally perform, interact, and explain what was performed. Helps me as a visual learner and overall fan of mentalism. Best money I have spent in awhile. Check them out if you haven't already.

For those that have watched some of these do you have a favorite so far? I have seen three of my five so far and like them all fairly equally although I think I have gotten the most out of the Richard Osterlind 2 lecture. I will have to purchase his first one down the road.
[/quote]

Peter Turner hands down the best I've watched so far.
[quote]
On Mar 9, 2014, Ben_cardall wrote:
Look forward to mr.salem's lecture!! I am quite looking forward to meeting him at the end of the month!!
[/quote]

Yes, very excited about the Marc Salem lecture as well! If you Google 'Marc Salem 60 minutes' there's a nice performance video worth 15 minutes of your time.
[quote]
On Feb 27, 2014, Ben Blau wrote:
[quote]
On Feb 23, 2014, cpbartak wrote:
[/quote]

Huge Max Maven fan. I had not heard this was happenning, but wouldn't want to miss it.
[/quote]

I just found out about Max a few days ago and I'm thrilled. He was the one person who I hoped would eventually come to Penguin.
In his audio column in the March digital/online issue of Genii (available to subscribers), Max speaks about his upcoming Penguin lecture: some things he's found lacking in prior Penguin lectures, and some things he's going to focus on.
Thinking of Colin McLeod and Marc Spelmann - nads down! Can't wait for the Max Maven's lecture!
Just watched the osterlind pocket mentalism lecture brilliant, loved the soap boxing worth every penny!
Bob Cassidy has a new one on Penguin focusing on Billets! Also, Bob's downloads for Q&A as well as remote viewing are very much worth the $$$.
I liked Peter Turners lecture a lot. His approach is very interesting and I got many ideas from it.
Just curious how Marc Salem's Penguin lecture was last night? Any reviews?
I wrote the following in another thread...

I have to be honest and say this fell way short of my expectations. I don't want to be hurtful but want to post my honest evaluation... FWIW!

Let me start by saying there are some nice ideas you can take and run with (you can refine to your liking), however, outside of "the gift" the lecture seemed to be mostly a compilation of effects that had some clever thinking but were flawed in some way (either in logic or handling or wow factor) In fact at the beginning of the lecture he states something along the lines of... these are not the methods or presentations I use in my shows. That's cool.

Here are some of the things I didn't particularly care for...

Bank Night
Don't exchange the last envelopes like that kids. Think about it just a little and you'll come up with a more logical and transparent (less awkward) way to do it. I believe however with a little thought this could be a powerful handling. (seems as though that little extra thought was missing from the lecture)

S****
Very surprised to see how (I hate to say it) amateurish this was executed. Plus, I use that type of ******k and would hardly call it the "worst." Try them all out and practice with whatever feels best to you. The key is to make it look natural. PRACTICE with one hand then two hands. Add gestures. Make it natural. But put the time in.

50/50 *********n
Would you really tear an en****** almost in ***f?

Humor???
I'm sure Marc's a nice guy, but I didn't find myself laughing too much.
Felt bad for the poor guy with the "hood" comment btw.

Swaying and rocking made me kinda sea sick. (surprised to see that)

Anyway, I've never seen Marc perform but have heard a lot about him. I'm sure his show is great but unfortunately you wouldn't know it from watching the lecture. Sorry again if this is hurtful in any way. I wanted to post my honest opinion as I appreciate the honesty of others when I'm evaluating a potential purchase. Please remember, this is just my opinion!

Again, there are some ideas here you can run with. But then again, there are a TON of ideas you can run with in Annemann for $12.00.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2014, Ian Rowland wrote:
I'm just popping in here to say thank you to those who've said nice things about my lecture. We live in a world where sometimes it seems people only speak up when they DIS-like something or want to have a moan (not that that ever happens in the world of magic, of course). So I appreciate the very positive tone of this thread.

I'm sure all the lecturers mentioned have plenty of good stuff to offer.

FWIW, my own favourite item, from the Penguin mentalism lectures I've seen, is 'Infinite End' by Patrick Redford. I dearly wish I had created this, but I know I would never have had the creative ingenuity and intellectual firepower needed to complete all the different 'paths' through the routine. I think it's a work of genius, personally. [/quote]

Great, great, great job Ian. Thanks for a great admirer of your work
Have to agree with sandsjr, I was watching the Salem lecture with a friend and I left, it all just seemed disjointed, and he really didn't seem to know what was happening. Lots of long pauses etc this is the second time I have tried to watch it, there won't be a third.
What a pitty...
I loved the Marc Salem lecture. I was in the audience. I am the big guy who helped with the Tic Tac effect.

Here is my review:

Delightfully entertaining from start to finish

I knew of Marc Salem's reputation and was eager to check out this lecture. I live about 90 minutes from the studio where these Penguin LIVE lectures originate, so I wanted to see Marc live and in person. I am so glad I did.

Marc has a fluid banter with the audience, and it's as if his gift of gab never stops. He is incredibly entertaining and funny.

His opening effect, The Gift, is one of those nice pieces that can fit in a variety of shows. The performer reads off a series of gifts to his helper, asking if she has any of them. Three spectators write down two-digit numbers. Once the total is added, another spectator chooses on of the digits. It corresponds to a number on the list of gifts. The gift is read, and it is found in a bag underneath the chair that has been there the whole time. Inside the bag there is also a receipt, and it is for the amount the numbers added up to. Nice, fun effect, and Marc teaches a classic principle to achieved the desired outcome.

Marc also performed two book tests. I am a big fan of book tests, and he shared two ungimmicked book tests. If you already use a commercially marketed effect, then having these methods available allows you to add layers and build on a routine. I like the two very much. Also, if you have repeat performances, having these two book tests in your arsenal allows for you to change up methods and books.

Marc teaches a straightforward, ungimmicked Bank Night routine. It is nice and allows for some interplay with your helpers.

One of the principles he taught (though he did not perform a routine using this principle) is how to use a certain kind of business card for a Q&A act. It is based on a classic principle, but Marc has streamlined it in such a way that I people write down the names of cities. I don't do readings either, but this method has me curious. Take your cards and a brown paper bag, and you have a serious piece of mentalism that can run long or short, depending upon your ability or desire. I like this a lot.

The promo material stated Marc would teach a right-brain/left-brain effect that was in the vein of Out of This World. He does not perform it or teach it, however, he mentions what he did with it during his interview with host Dan Harlan. You will need to know the OOTW method and know the difference between right- and left-brain activity to perform it, but it should not be much of a challenge if this interests you.

Marc was delightful, engaging, funny and entertaining. It was a treat.
Bringing it back from the dead !

I'm going to have some free time next week and want to soak in a new lecture.

What lecture on mentalism have you found the most value and inspiration in ?

I always more interested in the tips and bits that make you a better performer than effects but a combination of both is always great.

Thank you !
You can't go wrong with the David Parr lecture. But, I also think the David Hira lecture has plenty to offer, especially about making you a better performer. It's not a mentalism lecture, but Hira provided lots of tips for the working professional, from how to enter the performance area - to wearing make-up - and tips for making your effects look bigger, by involving more people. Really strong lecture.

Oscar
Thanks for the tip Oscar999 !
Fernando Figueras all the way

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=656792&forum=15
TC Tahoe!
[quote]On Jan 26, 2018, magic maniac wrote:
[b]I always more interested in the tips and bits that make you a better performer[/b] than effects but a combination of both is always great.
[/quote]

Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Lior manor lecture is proably One of the best investments you'll make. Lots of good stuff, but mostly advice from a professional who has been making a living for decades from shows
The most rewarding penguin lectures I have found for mentalism are Looch 1&2, Jan Forster, Banachek, Marc Paul, Ian Rowland, Atlas Brooking, Osterlind 1&2, David Parr and Marc Spelman. A lot of these are quite old but I haven't watched any recently that offer nearly as much value for money. Iam sorry to say that I was disappointed with Lior Mannors lecture and couldn't understand the glowing reviews, perhaps I need to rewatch it.
[quote]On Jan 26, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Fernando Figueras all the way

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=656792&forum=15 [/quote]

Thanks for recommending this. I didnít know of Fernando until I looked up your recommendation. Just finished watching it, so much great thinking about how to be creative with Mentalism.

In other news, there are so many good lectures from amazing performers and thinkers. My recommendation for those who are seeking to learn from them is to put away their ego and judgement when watching whatever lecture they choose. You can find useful, workable, reliable material from any of the mentalists who have generously given their lecture on Penguin. If I end up using something from the lecture then it is worth so much more than the price of the lecture.
ROSS JOHNSON!

A lot of great lectures have been mentioned here but if you havenít seen the Ross Johnson lecture, do yourself a favor.

It is far more than just effects; Itís like a masterclass in mentalism.

Search out reviews here if you want more details but if you are looking for mentalism you can not go wrong with this lecture. Iíd have paid the price just to watch his performance.
Banachek, Lior Manor, Jan Forster and Ross Johnson lectures were all exceptional.
[quote]On Jan 26, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
[b]I always more interested in the tips and bits that make you a better performer[/b] than effects but a combination of both is always great.
[/quote]

Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander. [/quote]

Come on, a magic aficionado who put a show for the magic castle 20 years ago , got the gig, bought some tricks ... this can not be even consider a lecturer, its more a Dan Harlan non- stop flattering mode interview!

Banachek and Jan forster is all you need to start performing....
[quote]On Feb 3, 2018, Mark Timon wrote:
[quote]On Jan 26, 2018, Tim Cavendish wrote:
[/quote]

Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander.
Jason Alexander. [/quote]

Come on, a magic aficionado who put a show for the magic castle 20 years ago , got the gig, bought some tricks ... this can not be even consider a lecturer, its more a Dan Harlan non- stop flattering mode interview!

Banachek and Jan forster is all you need to start performing.... [/quote]
He's a professional actor who teaches master classes in acting and character development.

If you don't think there's anything substantial to learn there, then I probably wouldn't want to watch your show.
Thanks for the mention, Oscar999 and Elman1! Glad you enjoyed the lecture!
[quote]On Jan 27, 2018, Johnny250 wrote:
Lior manor lecture is proably One of the best investments you'll make. Lots of good stuff, but mostly advice from a professional who has been making a living for decades from shows [/quote]

Thanks Johnny250
I like you a lot

[quote]On Jan 27, 2018, Elman1 wrote:
. Iam sorry to say that I was disappointed with Lior Mannors lecture and couldn't understand the glowing reviews, perhaps I need to rewatch it. [/quote]

Thanks Elman1
I like you :) :) :)
I haven't read through all the posts here, but I can unreservedly recommend Mark Calabrese's lecture on penguin. He's not classically who you'd think of as a mentalist, but the methodology there is FANTASTIC if you want to spark your creative fire.
[quote]On Feb 7, 2018, Lior wrote:
[quote]On Jan 27, 2018, Johnny250 wrote:
Lior manor lecture is proably One of the best investments you'll make. Lots of good stuff, but mostly advice from a professional who has been making a living for decades from shows [/quote]

Thanks Johnny250
I like you a lot

[quote]On Jan 27, 2018, Elman1 wrote:
. Iam sorry to say that I was disappointed with Lior Mannors lecture and couldn't understand the glowing reviews, perhaps I need to rewatch it. [/quote]

Thanks Elman1
I like you :) :) :) [/quote]

Sorry Lior, I like you too :) I feel bad now, perhaps my comments were too harsh.
My votes are for Colin Mcleod and Banachek.
Banachek's lecture was exceptional. He really is one of the most convincing performers of the art.
[quote]On Feb 1, 2018, Alan M wrote:
ROSS JOHNSON!

A lot of great lectures have been mentioned here but if you havenít seen the Ross Johnson lecture, do yourself a favor.

It is far more than just effects; Itís like a masterclass in mentalism.

Search out reviews here if you want more details but if you are looking for mentalism you can not go wrong with this lecture. Iíd have paid the price just to watch his performance. [/quote]

Thank you. Just finish watching him. He is a legend.
[quote]On May 24, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
Banachek's lecture was exceptional. He really is one of the most convincing performers of the art. [/quote]

I agree, fantastic lecture, very cheap for the price in IMO
I'm hoping all of the great performers they've already had get a chance to come back with the new Live Act format. I'm very interested in hearing their thoughts on creating an act, routining, persona, performance, and presentation much more so than I am about learning some more tricks.

I'd be very keen on seeing Max Maven and Ross Johnson returning with Michael Weber moderating as I've experienced first hand how his insights offer tremendous value even when he's not the one lecturing.

Hoping the gods hear me on this.

EDIT:

According to the P3 Magic Theater website Max Maven is indeed schedule to appear in November, perhaps the gods have heard me...
EDIT:

According to the P3 Magic Theater website Max Maven is indeed schedule to appear in November, perhaps the gods have heard me... [/quote]

Will be great to see Max Maven, Boo!!!!
Peter Turner,Colin McLeod,Looch和Patrick Redford