(Close Window)
Topic: Contrast Coins for British Half Crowns?
Good morning(?) all,

I recently started using silver British half crowns for some of my coin work because I like the slightly increased weight and size as compared to silver half dollars. My only annoyance at the moment is trying to find good contrast coins that are the same size.

I have some English pennies and East African dimes that are just a hair small (American Half dollars are a 30.6mm diameter, english penny/east african dime 31mm, Half crown 32mm).

I've been searching around different resources, but I haven't been able to find a brass/copper coin right in that 32mm range. I know half crowns aren't the most commonly used coins, but does anyone know of good contrasting coins that are a better size match?
I had a C/S coin made by Xavier Belmont with a Victorian Half Crown and he used a copper coin called 'Austrian Franz II Copper 6 Kreuzer'

Easy to find on eBay and not too expensive at around $8. Here's a couple to take a look at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTRIA-HUNGARY-Franz-II-Copper-6-Kreuzer-1800-S-KM-2128-/181331334934?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTRIA-HUNGARY-6-KREUZER-1800-B-and-S-/121282366880

Very nice looking coin especially if you buff-up the highlights a little.
Excellent! Thank you drbuzzard! I ordered up one of them to see how well it worked for me. I'll post a followup.
Just as a follow up, I received the first 6 kreuzer in the mail today. The particular one I got from ebay looks fairly work and while it's in round, it looks like part of the rims have worm off, so it's probably a slight bit smaller than the original strike. However, that worked out rather well because that brought it to exactly the right size as my half crowns. Thanks for the recommendation!
[quote]
On Mar 5, 2014, Pathian wrote:
Just as a follow up, I received the first 6 kreuzer in the mail today. The particular one I got from ebay looks fairly work and while it's in round, it looks like part of the rims have worm off, so it's probably a slight bit smaller than the original strike. However, that worked out rather well because that brought it to exactly the right size as my half crowns. Thanks for the recommendation!
[/quote]

Here's some of the half crown set made by Xavier Belmont, from left: regular 6 kreuzer, C/S, regular chinese coin, chinatown half. I think the 6 kreuzer is slightly cut down and re-edged.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brbuzzard/12955436245/
Hi folks... resurrecting an old thread here. I've found information that the Austria 6 Kreuzer 1800 Franz II copper coin is slightly over 33mm. Does anyone know of a copper coin that's a solid 32mm in diameter?

Also, does anyone know if there are Chinese Coins (of the black and brass/gold, commercial variety) that are 32mm? I've been unable to find any. (Reason for the "phony" Chinese Coin look is so that they match my Chinese Jumbo coins).