(Close Window)
Topic: Good teachers: your opinion
I've purchased quite a few magic videos and noticed that some of the magicians teaching the effect on the video are better than others.

Who do you feel are the better teachers?
I don't want to use the words "best teacher".
Also, let's limit this to English language videos. (Not books)

Please keep in mind that I can only recommend the videos which I have seen.

My opinion of the magicians that teach, and stood out as outstanding teachers are:

Richard Sanders
Jay Sankey
Bill Malone
Ben Salinas
I totally agree with your list, but I'd like to add Michael Ammar.
I would say, from the limited number of videos I've seen:
Michael Ammar
Jay Sankey
Bill Malone
I'll add Daryl and Michael Close to that list too.
Jay Sankey and Bill Malone have the best teaching styles though.
I agree. Daryl is a very good teacher.
I found that some of the best and most known magicians are not necessarily good teachers.
Many magicians specialize in a particular field, such as, coins, cards, silks, etc.
Daryl can teach it all.
For coins, David Roth is also very good. Both him and Ammar included great extra sections in their dvds giving tips on performance and psychology. I think the fact they have both written books helps as well, as they thus know how to break stuff down to the component parts, which many performers are not good at explaining.

In terms of keeping interest, Sankey tops it for me. His penguin live was so engaging and informative!
Daryl is a great teacher. He really puts work in to presenting the effect to make clear and give you a full understanding of the mechanic be hide the effect.

Michael Ammar great work, love his cup and balls video.

Wayne Houchin is a newish guy and his videos are great. Also he thinks of new ways to get the instructions like a little graphic novel to show the presentation.

Just my little bit of input
Roberto Giobbi is in my top 3, along with Ammar and Daryl
I would add Eugene Burger to this discussion. And a few more..Thom Peterson, Bob Sheets, Doc Eason and George Schindler.
Eric jones and jaims swain
In no order I'd say these guys: Ammar, Daryl, Giobbi and Lorayne.
They have already been mentioned, but Sankey and Ammar are two of the best in video or books. I would add Aldo Colombini to the list because of the directness of his presentations and sim-licity of methods. May he rest in peace.
Darwin Ortiz, John Bannon, Jay Sankey among others :)
Micheal Close is superb.
Well, at least I'm fourth, in one man's opinion!!
Haha, are you reffering to my four? It's in no particular order. I have a hard time deciding, but you and the three others are the only ones that go in great detail and give clear instructions. Some magicians are really good performers, but absolutely terrible at teaching anything. I find myself wasting time figuring it out on my own.

Actually, I will say that if we were just talking about books then you (Harry Lorayne) and Roberto Giobbi are hands down the best writers for explaining anything in my opinion. Both different styles, but both very good.
[quote]
On Feb 26, 2014, mlippo wrote:
Roberto Giobbi is in my top 3, along with Ammar and Daryl
[/quote]
Yeah, this would be the Holy Trinity of teachers in my opinion.
See, metaljohn? People like Cardflipper REAllY know!
Oh, and no, metaljohn, I wasn't particularly referring to your four - rather to the fact that you were the only one here to mention me at all. I find that interesting (and also disappointing). I get much, MUCH, different opinions outside The Magic Café. Again, interesting - HL.
Harry,
The topic is: teachers on video, not books.
Perhaps, you can start a thread on books.
[quote]
On Feb 27, 2014, Ihop wrote:
Harry,
The topic is: teachers on video, not books.
Perhaps, you can start a thread on books.
[/quote]

Harry teaches on video too and it's just as good if not better than his books.
Thanks, Bulla, I was just about to tell Mr. Knowledgeable the same thing!! Perhaps he should do a bit more research, no?
Dai Vernon.

"If you don't believe that ball is in your hand... then they won't either"

I don't do cups and balls.. I do mostly card magic.. but I always keep that in mind. If you don't believe the card is appearing at the top of the pack or passing thru a bill or changing locations, how will they?

I love The Professors videos, he's the best.
All of the above, plus:

Dr. Michael Rubinstein!

Doug
Hey, Ihop, just curious --- how come you didn't announce ("The topic is: teachers on video, not books.") to metaljohn when he listed me among DVDS?! And he posted early in the morning of Feb. 26th whereas I didn't until that evening. Yes, a bit of research would be good for you, but this has nothing to do with research. Interesting, and as I said - just da*n curious. And there's a site on youtube of me performing 35 or so items, many of which are taught on my 4-volume "Best Ever" DVD set. That DVD set has been out (originally on video) for a decade or more. Research??!!
Harry,
I'm asking for other opinions. The purpose is "magicians helping magicians.

I didn't think research was necessary when asking for others' opinions.
In any case, I'm aware of your videos.
Just not one of my favorites. There are many others that have a better teaching style.
Your books are another story. I feel there are very well written.
No need to fish or bully for compliments.
I'm away for a few days and I don't always have WiFi available.
So I won't be checking here that often.
Good! And thanks so much for your definition - "magicians helping magicians". I've been doing that for OVER SIX DECADES. I have yet to see where YOU are doing the same. And I gave you exactly what you asked for - MY OPINION. Just like your opinions about my teaching style. And NO, research isn't necessary when you ask for others' opinions, it IS NECESSARY when you state YOUR opinion. And finally, you're right - there's no need to "fish or bully" for compliments. I don't need or want compliments from you or other unknowledgeable people, and I've been bullied since I was a little boy - I've written about that a number of times - DO SOME RESEARCH! One thing I learned as a boy, and to this day, is that if you let bullies get away with it they will continue the bullying - you are an excellent example of just that - in MY OPINION.
I enjoy Aldo Colombini's videos. He's a fun performer to watch, and I think has a knack of making the viewer feel like they can do it too. His explanations are direct, which I appreciate.
In my opinion, Daryl, Harry Lorayne and Dai Vernon are the best, but I haven't seen an enormous amount of videos!
These are the the ones I think are the most outstanding:

Daryl
John Carney
Johnny Thompson
Michael Ammar

They teach not only the how, but the why.
Yes, Colombini.
He makes learning fun.
Allan Ackerman is a excellent teacher, sure. A master with a deck of cards.

Check out his fine dvds here:
http://www.allanackerman.com/
As has been mentioned countless times already, Jay Sankey is an amazing teacher. He is always very clear and he makes the learning experience very enjoyable. Someone who reminds me of Jay Sankey, in terms of teaching style, is Chris Mayhew. If you've purchased any of his stuff before, you probably know what I mean.
Is this post only about teachers of card magic, or can it be any genre of magic as it seems only card magic we are talking about at the moment.
George>>>>>I opened this thread, because I saw your name. I think you usually have "something to say" NOT JUST have to "say something"!!!

Reading down the thread, I inferred the same thing you appear to have inferred. Most of the responders SEEM to be cardicians.

I agree that most of those mentioned as "great teachers". I know Daryl--we worked the Castle the same week. I knew Johnny before he became TOMSONI! He, and Michael Ammmar and I have worked the same conventions. I've known John Carney since we met at Holland Shepherd's home in the '70s! They are IMO, not only great PERFORMERS, they are darn good TEACHERS. Aldo and "the Professor" and I have worked the same conventions, ditto their talents! There are others listed above--I can't remember all of them,and if I scroll back,I may lose what I've alredy written, so I'll quit.

Again, IMO, Harry Lorayne makes a good point. (Harry does more than cards!)
OK! I just scrolled back to the first page.

Eugene Burger and I "go back" to the '70s, when we often visited at Magic Inc. --Haven't seen Gene since Mardi Gras in N.O. 10 yeaars ago. Doc Eason, I only met once, at his lecture in Kalamazoo. --He "done good"! George Schindler does a fine lecture (practical material, that he has USED. Haven't seen him since we feasted on those "midget oysters" in New Orleans. All three of those guys KNOW their stuff--AND, KNOW HOW TO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS.

An important point that I always emphasize to those whom I've mentored, and. also, those for whom I have lectured, is: I can't really TEACH you anything, I can only HELP YOU LEARN, because learning is an ACTIVE procedure!
Dick, thanks for your kind words. I have like you been involved in magic since the 70s and have met some very good performers who weren't very good teachers. Likewise I have met good teachers who weren't very good performers. I can remember Davenports magic shop on a Saturday morning, watching the likes of Pat Page (who worked there at the time) ,Bobby Bernard and others. They were all good teachers, and more importantly, they always had the time to advise you if you needed help. The one person who helped me most was a guy called John Auckland, most people will never have heard of him. He was one of those who had everything planned down to the last second, music, routines everything. I can recall trying to learn the back palm from a book, just couldn't grasp it, an hour sat with him and I at least knew what I was supposed to be doing.
Remember, in those days there were no videos, you learn everything from books, or by being shown if you were lucky enough.
Rambling a bit now, so to get back on topic Juan Tamariz is a very good teacher as well as being a great performer.
I have enjoyed (I include what videos I have seen)

John Mendoza - My Best vol 1-3

Michael Vincent - Elegant Deceptions vol 1-3, The Classic Magic of Michael Vincent vol 1-3

Daryl - Expert Rope Magic Made Easy vol 1-3, Fooler Doolers vol 1-3, Master Course Sponge Balls vol 1-4, Encyclopedia of Card Sleights vol 1-9 (I haven't watched every minute of these, but what I have seen is wonderful), Card Revelations vol 1-5, Ambitious Card, Odd Quad

Harry Lorayne - Best Ever Collection vol 1-4, Magical Classics vol 1-2

Dan Harlan - Magic with Rubberbands vol 1-3, Penguin Lecture x 2

Daniel Garcia - Daniel Garcia Project vol 1-4 (haven't watched 5 or 6), Penguin Live Lecture

Al Schneider - The Al Schneider Technique vol 1-4 (vol 1 is worth every penny)

Eric Jones - Metal vol 1-3, Audio, Extension of Me vol 1-3

Richard Sanders - Fiber Optics Extended, The Richard Sanders Show vol 1-2,

Jeff Sheridan - Sheridan Course in Card Manipulation vol 1-3, Also in World's Greatest Magic videos

Roberto Giobbi - Card College vol 1-2, Penguin Live Lecture

Levent - Ultimate Guide to the Billiard Balls

Michael Rubenstein - Penguin Live Lecture

David Roth - Expert Coin Magic Made Easy vol 1-3, Penguin Live Lecture

Hope that helps you out. I'm sure that my list will grow in time, but it is complete for now.
That should be Michael Rubinstein. His penguin live lecture is wonderful. It shows practical coin work and the magic builds on the techniques he shows.
All of these are top notch teachers, but I have to add Jeff McBride to the list.
Keith Shazam
I am glad someone besides me, agrees Dr. Michael Rubinstein's teaching ability with coins is supurb! [i][b]The Encylopedia Of Coins Sleights[/i][/b], specifically. Also, [i][b]Knockout Coin Magic![/i][/b]

Doug
Doug he also has some of the best dry jokes around, well at least I like them.
Dr. Rubinstein was a lecturer at our SAM meeting.
I bought one of his DVD's. I agree, he is an excellent teacher.
[quote]On Jul 14, 2014, Kbuck54 wrote:
All of these are top notch teachers, but I have to add Jeff McBride to the list.
Keith Shazam [/quote]

Kbuck54...you are spot on. I'm not a fan of Jeff's style of magic, but have always admired his skill, experience, and knowledge of the magic arts. It's a cliche statement, but he's forgotten more about magic than I'll ever know.

That aside, it wasn't until I began reading articles by him that I really came to appreciate his teaching skills. Magic experience and knowledge is one thing, but Jeff is so eloquent in his explanations, and positive in his teachings, that one is immediately drawn into the learning process. He seems to truly be a magic Sensei.
Wiz,
You hit the nail on the head. Jeff is the one that gave me the Shazam, at one of his classes. What's the old joke that Michael Ammar tells about Jeff's latest DVD / It's called " All the Tricks I do Better Than You."
No really. I love that guy.
Keith Shazam
I agree with all that are stated so far. Along with Jay Sankey I have to include Gregory Wilson how likes to add comedy while teaching and keeps the teaching fun.

Also I have to say the great Tommy Wonder was brilliant teacher of the why and of the outside the box thinkers
I think one of the best teachers that was on here was Mark Lewis.
I forgot to mention Christopher T. Magician with his web episodes and Dvd Live From the Living Room. He doesn't just go into detail he gives you new ideas and little tidbits that you can run with. Reminds me of a Harry Lorayne, but on kids magic. And it is entertaining to watch also.
Roberto Giobbi has the wonderful ability to teach magic in written words…Take Card College for example.
I wasn't so sure how he would do on video until I saw this: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3961

Incredible. One of my favorite magic teachers of all time!
Daryl, Matthew Dowden and Bill Malone

Daryl is a great teacher with gentle jokes (less jarring than jay sankey) and he always has tones of extra information regarding history and little known uses, methods and subtleties.

Matthew Dowden has a clear explanation method and though he might not stand out, he's a great teacher with nice pacing and a generally candid appeal.

Bill Malone has a huge difference in presentation in his explanation and performance but he explains stuff very well with nice anecdotes in between.
I've personally derived great benefit from Daryl (fooler dooler series), Sankey (the very best of series), Malone (on the loose series), and Colombini (the essential series).

There are several who have been cited by others here who I do not own material from and thus their ommission from my mini list is no reflection on them.

Amongst those given very few citations I'd like to give a big thumbs up to Richard Sanders, not only for fibre optics (as cited by someone else) but also for his excellent 3 disc dvd series 'The Richard Sanders Show'. I learnt a lot off that set delivered in a crystal-clear & accessible fashion by Richard.
Like the list, I would remove sankey and replace him with Dan Tong.
I'll only tell about books. So far, No author I've read topped Roberto Giobbi from his Card College.

P!
Gee, Ado, I sure tried!!!
Sorry Harry! Ya can't please 'em all! ;)

For cards, yes, Harry Lorayne! Daryl and Ammar are good ones too! For coins, Rubinstein, Roth... I like Mike Gallo too. I think your best teachers are going to be one-on-one. For example, I bet Harry Lorayne COULD teach me to Back Palm and do the Classic Pass, neither of which I can do (yet).

Doug
I realize that ya can't please 'em all - I was just wondering if he's read my stuff. Not important at all. Best - HL.
I have learned so much from harry lorayne and pop haydn and vinny and the rest of the card magic magicians and I think if you view the card magic forum there are many good magicians there who teach a lot and show you how it is suppose to be done!
[quote]On Aug 15, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Gee, Ado, I sure tried!!! [/quote]

I believe you did. I've read some your books, as well as many other books by other magicians. It is well informed that I deliberately chose not to write your name, no matter what other people think.

P!
Of course, Ado. I'll just keep on tryin'!!
No need Harry, my memory and my 83 year old mothers, have improved 100% due to your book. Even so, I just find the fact that you remember the names of the entire audience just unreal, respect to you. :dancing:
Thanks, George. I just have to keep trying for (much)Ado(about nothing) - because, as he says, he's soooo "well informed." (!)
Harry, you really don't have to. I doubt your style will change, and I have, regardless of your pedagogical skills (or lack thereof in comparison of other writers), anyway very little interest anyway in the kind of magic you've created so far (with the exception of a couple effects I already know). I suggest you just keep selling your existing books to an audience with different expectations.

Cheers,

P!
Thanks for the gratuitous, although really excellent, advice, Ado. I will desperately try to change my style - just for you. Cheers. PU