(Close Window)
Topic: Patter for 3 Frog Monte
I bought three frog monte a few years ago and have not come up with a good routine. I have used it in a few shows and let the parents compete against the children. I have not gotten that good of a response with it.
I use it every once in a while as a game to play with kids before a show.

Does anyone have a routine for this trick?

For those who do not know what this trick it there is a link below. The frogs do not look like the ones on this site. I could not find a good picture of the frogs.

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Close-up/CU19.htm#THREE%20FROG%20MONTE%20by%20BOB%20MCALLISTER

Thanks for you help.

Tim
Tim:

I do not currently perform this effect but I have seen it many times. I find that I am fairly good at being creative and thinking creative so perhaps I can take a shot at coming up with a few possible ideas that may work well for you and get lots of laughs and interaction.

I think the idea may be that you need to build the routine up since the basis of the effect is so simple and short. It needs to be well rounded to add impact to it.

Perhaps you do it as a combination effect. Let me try and explain a possible routine off the top of my head.

- Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, cat's dogs and even frogs.. I am here today to introduce to you the worlds coolest performing trio. These guys are so cool they sing and do magic tricks and today they are my guest right here on this very stage. So if we all give them a very big clap let's see if we can bring them out...

Ladies and gents.. I'd liked to introduce to you... 3 Frog Night (take off of 3 dog night). You motion to the table but nothing happens.

um hmm maybe we need to be a little louder and clap more so they hear us. You do it again and still nothing. You says your going to check back in the dressing room and will be right back. You go behind table as if talking to the guests.

You state.. hehehe well they are not coming out until they get their fanfare introduction music. you play a CD or tape of some sort of funny musical intro with a drum roll. still nothing.

You state.. oh this is real silly but they said they are not coming out unless the girl in the front row gives them the lead singer a big kiss on the nose.

Kids laugh and you get one to agree. You do it again and finally bring them out one at a time. Each of them wearing a little cape. =) have the girl give the frog a kiss. Then maybe say... hmm I would have thought he would have turned into a prince by now. Oh wells.

Well here they are 3 Frog Night. the world's coolest frog singing and magic trio. They are the coolest because they are the ONLY singing and magic frogs.

Well they want to sing to you their hit single ... "I love you.. even your warts." but they have a problem. You see they can never ever figure out just who is the lead singer and who should be the backups.

This can lead nicely into the monte part of the trick. get a kid to come up and dress them up as the frog's stage manager. Give them a big scarf and funky glasses to wear. It is the kid's job to have a rehearsal and determine which is the lead singer and which sings the best and to find the lead singer. you perform the monte part of the effect and throw in some funny frog jokes like...

- oh you know why he could not speak? He must have a frog in his throat. etc. It should get a few laughs.

Finally the kid gets it right and is therefor made the official manager of the frogs for the day and you present them with a small manager certificate for them to take home with them as a souvenir.

This could work by itself. I also have an additional routone you can add to this to make it longer. I will saher it with you if you would like. Just let me know.

I hope this gives you an idea how how this could be routined. I just made it up so it certainly is not fully thought out. I hope it helps.

Kyle
Kyle, That was terrific!! Bob would have loved that. I mean it.
I have seen Bob do his routine many times and he would absolutely kill an audience with these frogs.
I worked with Bob on bits and gags to do with these frogs and I tell you, we would have loved to have had you with us during these sessions.
In this regard, I would like to relay a funny story.
I was the MC at a show where Bob called up a guy from the audience during the frog monte trick. There is a part where Bob folds back the leg of one of the frogs ALA the bent corner in the three card monte. He asked the spectator which frog he wishes to bet on. This guy points to the frog with the bent back leg and says, "Not him, he doesn't have a leg to stand on." Which was hysterical and Bob looked over to me in the wings with a smile and I yelled back, "Don't worry Bob, I'm writing it down!".
We lost a great man.
Thanks Kyle,
I had not really thought about doing it as performing frogs. I am going to take you routine and try and add the little tid bits to it to finish it out. You are very good at coming up with routines.

RC4MAG
What is Bob's last name? Is he the one that came up with this trick? I have not done much research on the creator. Do you know what routine he used?

Thanks again for ya'lls help.

Tim
RC:

WOW!!! Thank you so much. I can not tell you how much that means to me to hear that you honestly think Bob would have loved that routine. He always had the time of day for me or anyone and I always loved his excitement for the love of the art. To know that he would have appreciated my routine means an aweful lot. Thank you.

I only wish I had been around when you guys were brainstorming ideas for the frogs. I would have loved to have helped or even offered you this routine. It would have been my pleasure.

Well if you are ever in the need for brainstorming or creative ideas for any trick, routine or patter, let me know. I think it would be quite fun.

I hope you and others enjoy the routine and can get some use out of it or spark ideas of your own.

Kyle

Tim:
Thanks for the complement. Use what you like and please add to it to fit your own needs. I hope it at least gives you some ideas from which to start from.

Kyle
Tim: Bob's last name was McAllister and from your question I now wonder if the frogs you have are originals or a knock off set. Bob made them up years ago and distributed them himself or through Hank Lee (I think). I remember Bob saying that Hank was the largest purchaser of his items.
The routine he used was mostly his, with a few gags from me thrown in. I don't recall what was in the instructions he provided with the trick. I do have one home made video tape of him performing this. About 7 years ago NY magician "Scarbelly" Hittner threw himself a big 75th birthday party and a few of the magician's attending planned an hour show for the occasion. It was a great party with Bob performing using one of the waitresses from the place. A lot of the restaurant staff came into our private backroom to watch the show as the word spread what was going on. Also appearing in this show were Ventriloquist Stan Burns, Doug Edwards, Dave Cremin, Frank Reyes and myself (hope I didn't leave anyone out).
- Rene
Rene,

I think I bought them from Hocus Pocus. I am not sure if they are knock off's or not. I could not remember where I saw them first but I think I saw them at a Bob McAllister lecture. He did the one that I have and he also sold a smaller version where you held a sqeeker in you hand with ungimicked frogs. I hope I did not give too much away here.

Did Bob do a lot of stuff with magnets. If I am not mistaken his lecture had several routines that used magnets. If this is him then I need to go back and look for his lecture notes and see if there is a routine in them. I could not remember his name until after you told me his last name.

Do you know if he has a routine in print. I would be interested in reading it. I have already started working on a routine like Kyle mentioned above. I think it is heading in the right direction.

Thanks again for ya'lls help.

Tim
Tim:
Let us know how the routine is coming along or if you need some other ideas or suggestions. I would be happy to work on this with you. It would be my pleasure.

Kyle
Tim: Bob worked a lot with magnets and did write one book on use of dot magnets. He also invented the "Butt Holdout" which you can sort of figure out if you have been reading this post so far. And while we are on this subject,he also invented the steel ring on shoelace effect.
-Rene
Bob was an amazing man with some very creative ideas. I am glad that I got the chance to know him.
Instead of starting a new 3 frog monte thread I thought I would just post to this old thread.

I just purchased a used set of "original" Bob McAllister Frogs. No directions. The method is not what I expected. I was expecting each frog to have a h _ _ _. Not these. These frogs squeak easily with the slightest push.

Can anybody enlighten me?
THANKS!
DeWayne
Kyle,
What a great guy you are to give your time to put that together for Tim. That was a really nice thing to do. That's what you call Magicians helping Magicians.
Louis
I have Bob McAllister's personal set of 3 Frog Monte
As always, great input Kyle. That was an awesome routine.
Kyle,

I'm glad this thread got revived. I really like your routine. You never cease to amaze.
Thanks my friends. Man I totally forgot all about this. In fact when I came across it I was wondering what is was that I did that was so great. hehehe

In all honesty, I am happy to help and I love coming up with fresh new ideas and routinging things in a new and fun way. my goal is always to entertain and have fun with kids and to make them laugh as I never take myself too seriosuly.

If this works for anyone, feel free to use it. My pleasure. Thanks again. If anyone wants or ever needs help brainstorming for a routine, just PM me. Always willing to help.

Kyle
We have 3 frog monte in out top drawer and have never used it because of lack of confidence in the patter. Kyle thank you for posting your reply, your creativity is inspiring.
Thank you. It is very kind of you to say so. I love coming up with creative routines and assisting others to see where they can take their own creativity. I have a new lecture and lecture notes on the concept of creative thinking and routines, tips, tricks, effects, props that all derive around creative ways to solve common problems. If interested in knowing more, just let me know. Enjoy.

Kyle
Frogs are great subjects for magic. For many decades I have produced the "Easter Frog" which has to be transformed into a rabbit. It was thinking "Green" when it had meaning!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the kind words.

Kyle
[quote]
On 2004-01-08 00:37, RC4MAG wrote:
Tim: Bob's last name was McAllister and from your question I now wonder if the frogs you have are originals or a knock off set. Bob made them up years ago and distributed them himself or through Hank Lee (I think). I remember Bob saying that Hank was the largest purchaser of his items.
The routine he used was mostly his, with a few gags from me thrown in. I don't recall what was in the instructions he provided with the trick. I do have one home made video tape of him performing this. About 7 years ago NY magician "Scarbelly" Hittner threw himself a big 75th birthday party and a few of the magician's attending planned an hour show for the occasion. It was a great party with Bob performing using one of the waitresses from the place. A lot of the restaurant staff came into our private backroom to watch the show as the word spread what was going on. Also appearing in this show were Ventriloquist Stan Burns, Doug Edwards, Dave Cremin, Frank Reyes and myself (hope I didn't leave anyone out).
- Rene
[/quote]

I know this is a old thread but found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opkrA15zaIc

Leo Jr
Does anyone have a frog from the three frog monte set that they would part with. I need a replacement for my set. I have one that no longer squeeks. Aside from palming a squeeker, I would rather have a working frog.
kwhs