(Close Window)
Topic: Crazy Mans Handcuffs...the most meaningless miracle of all time
So, I was trying to find a good plot/presentation för the Crazy Mans Handcuffs (CMH). I looked at Ammars presentation, but didn't like it. Tried some idea about physics and the impossibility of objects passing through each other...but it didn't really stick. I was struggling with the question WHY does the bands go through each other?

I didn't find a good answer to that question. And if you think about it, if you were a real magician, why on earth would you go around making rubber bands pass through each other?

Then it hit me. CMH must be the most meaningless miracle ever. And that´s a good plot for the presentation.

The "angle" is that other magicians learn how to produce cars, money and gold but not me. No, I´m the magician who has learned the most meaningless miracle on earth (this will, I think, present me as a nice, down to earth kind of guy which is a personality I would like to be associated with).

I then show the audience this meaningless miracle and at the end conclude that even the most meaningless miracles can bring joy and entertainment.

What do you think?
Interesting concept for a presentation. And you're right. There is only one thing I would do if I were a real magician and that is produce endless streams of wealth. I don't think this is a universal plot. There are a lot of effects where the ultimate conclusion of the point is that there is no real point. It does beat process patter though.
If that suits your personality then go for it! I happen to do a story-driven, four phase routine that really draws people in. It's my fiancee's favourite trick and she's seen a lot of great magic (if I do say so myself). It works for me because the story is personal and suits my personality. It might be flat if someone else tried it my way.

I think CMH is performed by way too many magicians frankly. Not because it's a weak trick. It's not. It's that too many magicians haven't put any thought into making it engaging and interesting. It debases an otherwise great trick.

Until you come up with a good routine and reason for doing a trick, magicians should simply not perform it! They would be doing themselves and their fellow magicians a huge favour.
Robvh: I agree that CMH is ued by many, and often in the form of a stunt. I would love to hear more about your story presentation, please PM me if you don't want to share it with the world. I have been struggling to find a good presentation to CMH, because I don't want to perform it just as a stunt.
Telling people you're doing the most meaningless miracle doesn't look strong with this particular trick. The most meaningless trick must be something ridiculous, absurd.CMH have a plot, one object penetrate through other. It's close up peace, if you working strolling maybe you do not need long presentation with it.
But if you really could make two object penetrate each other...would you choose two rubber bands? I find this plot funny, but of course there are other plots that works just fine. The "original" Ammar presentation is not for me.
I remember David Copperfield doing this effect on one of his TV specials and he didn't really have a routine. He basically just said watch the Rubber Bands penetrate each other. The effect basically speaks for itself... Why bog it down with a patter or a story line.

I'm more of an eye-candy type of magician, so I let the tricks speak for themselves.

Since I do mostly strolling magic at corporate functions, cocktail parties, weddings, and restaurants, I don't see the need to have a long patter or a story line for my tricks.
Meaningless? Only if you make it meaningless.

I have a very logical presentation for it and it's one of the most requested tricks I do.
That could work very well for you. Give it a whirl and let your audience tell you.

I don't think it would be a patter line that most would adopt, but that shouldn't matter. Many like Amar's presentation.